Pioneer Blu-ray players 2011 - BDP-140/BDP-440/BDP-LX55/BDP-53FD - Page 62 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1831 of 1838 Old 06-30-2014, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Big C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: United States
Posts: 1,291
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I need help. As some of you know, Pioneer plans on shifting their home electronics business to Onkyo and Baring. I assume that would mean they're going to bow out of it all together and focus on DJing, cycle sports, and car electronics. I decided not to wait and see what happens because I'm afraid I might miss out on something. Here are the things that are important to me: converting all formats to PCM so I can use PQLS with my Elite VSX-32 receiver, PQLS, 480i via HDMI, modifiable for multi-region SD DVD via special IR code, and SACD playback (forget DSD-to-PCM conversion higher than 88.2 KHz). The only player in history which meets all these requirements is the BDP-52FD/440. At least it's a much faster disc loader than the BDP-05FD/09FD/23FD/31FD/33FD/41FD/43FD/51FD/120/320/330/430/LX52/LX53/LX54/LX71/LX91 players between 2008 and 2010, thanks to its MediaTek CPU. Here's where I need your help. I probibly should have checked with you guys first. Someone is selling one on ebay bundled with a VSX-521 receiver. I am seeing if I could get the seller to sell me the player separately. It says that the stuff has been used, but doesn't show it on the surfaces of the components. I told the seller that I would pay under $200, preferably $150, since it's a September 2011 model and though slightly used, it was used. What do you guys think of my judgment considering that it was originally $400 back in September of 2011? If you guys think it's still worth more, I'll send him another message via the ebay messaging system and tell him that I would pay more for it.
Big C is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1832 of 1838 Old 06-30-2014, 05:09 PM
Advanced Member
 
Walkamo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Southern California
Posts: 546
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big C View Post
I need help. As some of you know, Pioneer plans on shifting their home electronics business to Onkyo and Baring. I assume that would mean they're going to bow out of it all together and focus on DJing, cycle sports, and car electronics. I decided not to wait and see what happens because I'm afraid I might miss out on something. Here are the things that are important to me: converting all formats to PCM so I can use PQLS with my Elite VSX-32 receiver, PQLS, 480i via HDMI, modifiable for multi-region SD DVD via special IR code, and SACD playback (forget DSD-to-PCM conversion higher than 88.2 KHz). The only player in history which meets all these requirements is the BDP-52FD/440. At least it's a much faster disc loader than the BDP-05FD/09FD/23FD/31FD/33FD/41FD/43FD/51FD/120/320/330/430/LX52/LX53/LX54/LX71/LX91 players between 2008 and 2010, thanks to its MediaTek CPU. Here's where I need your help. I probibly should have checked with you guys first. Someone is selling one on ebay bundled with a VSX-521 receiver. I am seeing if I could get the seller to sell me the player separately. It says that the stuff has been used, but doesn't show it on the surfaces of the components. I told the seller that I would pay under $200, preferably $150, since it's a September 2011 model and though slightly used, it was used. What do you guys think of my judgment considering that it was originally $400 back in September of 2011? If you guys think it's still worth more, I'll send him another message via the ebay messaging system and tell him that I would pay more for it.

Hi BigC,

Pioneer is not shifting their Home Electronics Business to Baring and Onkyo. Baring has purchased 51% of Pioneer as an investment and Pioneer and Onkyo own the remaining 49%. The exact split has not been announced yet. Pioneer and Onkyo will remain separate brands and investments from Baring will give us the capital to invest in non-traditional areas.

As far as BD is concerned you will see new models (Even a new flagship) launch by the end of the year.

Here is a link to a good explanation of what is going on at Pioneer.

http://www.engadget.com/2014/06/24/p...ome-av-groups/

Chris Walker
Pioneer Electronics
Walkamo is offline  
post #1833 of 1838 Old 07-02-2014, 09:42 AM
Member
 
Hellenback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big C View Post
I need help. As some of you know, Pioneer plans on shifting their home electronics business to Onkyo and Baring. I assume that would mean they're going to bow out of it all together and focus on DJing, cycle sports, and car electronics. I decided not to wait and see what happens because I'm afraid I might miss out on something. Here are the things that are important to me: converting all formats to PCM so I can use PQLS with my Elite VSX-32 receiver, PQLS, 480i via HDMI, modifiable for multi-region SD DVD via special IR code, and SACD playback (forget DSD-to-PCM conversion higher than 88.2 KHz). The only player in history which meets all these requirements is the BDP-52FD/440. At least it's a much faster disc loader than the BDP-05FD/09FD/23FD/31FD/33FD/41FD/43FD/51FD/120/320/330/430/LX52/LX53/LX54/LX71/LX91 players between 2008 and 2010, thanks to its MediaTek CPU. Here's where I need your help. I probibly should have checked with you guys first. Someone is selling one on ebay bundled with a VSX-521 receiver. I am seeing if I could get the seller to sell me the player separately. It says that the stuff has been used, but doesn't show it on the surfaces of the components. I told the seller that I would pay under $200, preferably $150, since it's a September 2011 model and though slightly used, it was used. What do you guys think of my judgment considering that it was originally $400 back in September of 2011? If you guys think it's still worth more, I'll send him another message via the ebay messaging system and tell him that I would pay more for it.
@Big C

What's the obsession with 480i over HDMI? What sources are 480i anymore? The used Pioneer 53fd I bought for $150 has been a pretty solid machine since it's final firmware update and is on sale refurbished at Pioneer.com for $238. I know that's a bit more than you want to spend (and that you returned one) but at least you get a 90 day warranty so any bugs/defects that might show up are taken care of. I'm pretty sure everything else you wanted is available on the 53fd as it's a step up from the 52fd and the manual indicates it plays 480i over HDMI.

What does the 52 do that the 53 doesn't?

PS I just looked at the Pioneer site and there's a new BluRay player coming out next month for $299 list. You may have seen it already but if not it's the BDP-80FD. I'm not sure about all the specs but someone here might have them or they might be available on the Pioneer site.

Last edited by Hellenback; 07-02-2014 at 09:52 AM. Reason: additional info
Hellenback is offline  
post #1834 of 1838 Old 07-02-2014, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Big C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: United States
Posts: 1,291
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellenback View Post
@Big C

What's the obsession with 480i over HDMI? What sources are 480i anymore? The used Pioneer 53fd I bought for $150 has been a pretty solid machine since it's final firmware update and is on sale refurbished at Pioneer.com for $238. I know that's a bit more than you want to spend (and that you returned one) but at least you get a 90 day warranty so any bugs/defects that might show up are taken care of. I'm pretty sure everything else you wanted is available on the 53fd as it's a step up from the 52fd and the manual indicates it plays 480i over HDMI.

What does the 52 do that the 53 doesn't?

PS I just looked at the Pioneer site and there's a new BluRay player coming out next month for $299 list. You may have seen it already but if not it's the BDP-80FD. I'm not sure about all the specs but someone here might have them or they might be available on the Pioneer site.
That was a typo. I forget whether it was under Display settings or HDMI, but if you go into the settings, you'll see that the BDP-53FD won't output 480i. It only goes down to 480p. 480i is how DVDs are recorded, and I prefer to play things as recorded. The BDP-52FD is capable of 480i output. The new BDP-80FD is really the BDP-170 with an Elite badge. It's entry level--no PQLS or other truly Elite features. Under the assumption Pioneer was bowing out of home electronics, I was originally going to attempt to grab that BDP-52FD from that ebay seller if I still had a chance, but did you read Walkamo's post from a few days ago posted right above yours? Pioneer plans on releasing a flagship model by the end of the year. They're not bowing out of home electronics. They will still be distributing their own stuff. So now I'm going to wait for the release of their flagship model. I'll also be coupling it with the new Elite VSX-80 receiver because of the ESS Sabre 9006 high-quality audio DACs for under $1k.
Big C is offline  
post #1835 of 1838 Old 07-02-2014, 11:01 AM
Member
 
Hellenback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big C View Post
That was a typo. I forget whether it was under Display settings or HDMI, but if you go into the settings, you'll see that the BDP-53FD won't output 480i. It only goes down to 480p. 480i is how DVDs are recorded, and I prefer to play things as recorded. The BDP-52FD is capable of 480i output. The new BDP-80FD is really the BDP-170 with an Elite badge. It's entry level--no PQLS or other truly Elite features. Under the assumption Pioneer was bowing out of home electronics, I was originally going to attempt to grab that BDP-52FD from that ebay seller if I still had a chance, but did you read Walkamo's post from a few days ago posted right above yours? Pioneer plans on releasing a flagship model by the end of the year. They're not bowing out of home electronics. They will still be distributing their own stuff. So now I'm going to wait for the release of their flagship model. I'll also be coupling it with the new Elite VSX-80 receiver because of the ESS Sabre 9006 high-quality audio DACs for under $1k.
I checked and you're right but I fail to see the benefit of not using a Marvell Qdeo scaler, especially on 480i material!

I don't mean this in any way to be insensitive but have you not said many times that you're sight challenged? If this is the case why would you not want the best possible picture at all times? I use glasses and am pretty happy I can just set the HDMI out to auto/1080p and get a great picture with anything. I guess if there was any benefit (in my mind) to use source direct with low grade input sources I'd just use my 58AV but have yet had the need or desire to do so.

Different strokes I guess... but I really don't get it I'd. Maybe you could explain the benefit you receive from 480i playback?
Hellenback is offline  
post #1836 of 1838 Old 07-02-2014, 11:22 AM
Advanced Member
 
Apostate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 843
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellenback View Post
Maybe you could explain the benefit you receive from 480i playback?
If you have a superior external video scaler, you'd want to feed it the "pure" (untouched or original) native video format of DVD which is 480i.

The irony of this is that players capable of outputting 480i almost always have an excellent video scaler built in.
Apostate is offline  
post #1837 of 1838 Old 07-03-2014, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Big C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: United States
Posts: 1,291
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I guess until I'm familiar with how different upscaling/post processing works, I like streaming, my 480i DVDs and my Blu-rays distinguishable from one another, as well as compressed audio, lossless audio, and uncompressed audio to be distinguishable from each other (I don't use sound retrieve).
Big C is offline  
post #1838 of 1838 Old 07-04-2014, 05:37 PM
Member
 
Hellenback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big C View Post
I guess until I'm familiar with how different upscaling/post processing works, I like streaming, my 480i DVDs and my Blu-rays distinguishable from one another, as well as compressed audio, lossless audio, and uncompressed audio to be distinguishable from each other (I don't use sound retrieve).
As I said, different strokes...I like seeing and hearing things in the best manner possible at all times. I rarely use mp3 but if something is only available in mp3 format I often use the sound retriever function with pretty good results. 99% of my audio is lossless so it's not much of an issue for me personally.

As far as video goes, I've yet to watch any 480i video that isn't improved by up-scaling, especially with the Qdeo chip.

As far as lossless and uncompressed go...if you can hear the difference between FLAC or ALAC and WAV/AIFF you have either better equipment or better ears than I do (or both) and I'm a pretty critical listener with a decent system.

My headphone gear is an above average balanced set-up and I'd lose a lot of money trying to bet on whether any music I'm listening to is in FLAC or WAV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apostate View Post
If you have a superior external video scaler, you'd want to feed it the "pure" (untouched or original) native video format of DVD which is 480i.

The irony of this is that players capable of outputting 480i almost always have an excellent video scaler built in.
That makes sense and likely made more sense in the past when players didn't have the kind of built in processors they do today.

I'm happy to get good upscaled content from the 53fd at a fraction of the cost of an Oppo, let alone an external scaler. I used to worry about the analog outs but I have my 58AV for that if needed for any music. I've yet to watch any movies that required analog outs for audio playback. If I start getting into BluRay audio only discs it might be an issue but a new/better receiver will take care of that.

HDMI is fine for any video playback. It will improve even further with better DAC chip /implementation in the newer receivers. Gotta love that trickle down if you're on a budget
Hellenback is offline  
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Pioneer , Pioneer Bdp 140 Blu Ray Disc Player Black , Lg 55lx9500 55 1080p 480hz 3d Led Lcd Hdtv , Lg , Blu Ray Players , Pioneer Blu Ray Player Bdp 140
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off