Vizio vbr133 thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 06-26-2011, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
dekard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 92
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I found myself in need of an inexpensive Bluray player that would fit in a narrow space, just 15.5" available. After quite a man hunt, I decided to pick up a Vizio VBR133 for the low, low price of $98 + tax from Wally World.

It's a nice looking device and I like that the remote shows a decent sense of style. So far everything seems to be working well and painlessly. The firmware updated automatically in about 3 mins when I first turned it on. I've played a couple of Blurays and they look and sound great, though it seems I had to turn up the volume just a little higher than I remember doing on my HTPC. Certainly, a player like this isn't going to compare to an Oppo. But then, I didn't have room or a budget for an Oppo anyway.

Streaming apps all work properly, quickly and look good. Netflix streaming seems to latch onto the hidef signal within just a few seconds and it looks great. All the audio support I need is there since I'm connecting this to an older receiver via an optical cable. It will successfully output a 5.1 signal by down-mixing the 7.1 original track.

This is an HDMI only player, so no component outputs at all. Quality seems just fine, though I haven't run it through any benchmark tests.

The final thing that made me decide to post this review was Top Gear's new season. I was thrilled that I could pop a .mkv file onto a USB stick and plug it into the front of the player and it just works! Considering my other option was to use Handbrake to re-encode it for my Apple TV, this is much faster. I'll still make a copy for the Apple TV for archiving purposes but being able to watch it immediately on this player is just sweet.

Anyway, thats my two cents. For an inexpensive player I'm just thrilled.
dekard is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 Old 06-26-2011, 06:14 PM
Senior Member
 
Jetmeck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 481
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Get back to us in a week if it still working, lol.
Wish you well but I have seen nothing but bad reviews on these and they
selling for parts all over Ebay. Keep in touch............
Jetmeck is online now  
post #3 of 11 Old 06-30-2011, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
dekard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 92
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetmeck View Post

Get back to us in a week if it still working, lol.
Wish you well but I have seen nothing but bad reviews on these and they
selling for parts all over Ebay. Keep in touch............

Will do. So far things are just great. Here's hoping it lasts.
dekard is offline  
post #4 of 11 Old 07-04-2011, 11:22 AM
Newbie
 
callwill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have some wally world blue ray player questions as i found myself looking at them for the first time today, but not so much for the bluray part. I am in the midst of receiver upgrade turmoil. My 20 yr old sherwood RV1340r died-I've asked for help on that in the amp forum and this plays into it sort of.
I have as you can tell, old stuff. Looking at new stuff, i dont have the legacy inputs i need and at this point little need for the new ones, but that will come.
My current DVD/CD/mp3 disc player has been givving us disc load/drawer close issues for a long time, so maybe time to upgrade that too-so i started looking and saw Cheap Blurays with usbs, wireless lan, ethernet and optical/composite and hdmi all in one unit. So i am wondering, can i do all my networking through one of these if i get a receiver that doesnt have networking in it.
callwill is offline  
post #5 of 11 Old 07-04-2011, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
dekard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 92
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by callwill View Post

I have some wally world blue ray player questions as i found myself looking at them for the first time today, but not so much for the bluray part. I am in the midst of receiver upgrade turmoil. My 20 yr old sherwood RV1340r died-I've asked for help on that in the amp forum and this plays into it sort of.
I have as you can tell, old stuff. Looking at new stuff, i dont have the legacy inputs i need and at this point little need for the new ones, but that will come.
My current DVD/CD/mp3 disc player has been givving us disc load/drawer close issues for a long time, so maybe time to upgrade that too-so i started looking and saw Cheap Blurays with usbs, wireless lan, ethernet and optical/composite and hdmi all in one unit. So i am wondering, can i do all my networking through one of these if i get a receiver that doesnt have networking in it.

Sure, you can. Typically though, a discrete device will perform better than a multifunction one. So, yes your bluray options from Walmart will be able to provide basic network features. I went with a dedicated device, the Apple TV 2. For $99 its a great deal and by all accounts one of the overall top options on the market today. If you have a lot of content in iTunes its a terrific way to get that on your tv. And if not, you can access Netflix, Youtube, Pandora and more. Plus you have the iTunes store if you want to buy anything.

I also choose a receiver without networking features, the NAD t747. For the money, its one of the best sounding receivers, I hear. Mine is supposed to be arriving later this week so check back next weekend for a report.
dekard is offline  
post #6 of 11 Old 10-23-2011, 04:35 PM
Newbie
 
andyf2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, I just bought this player for $99 on Walmart, but I found that have a minor problem..... Everything seems to work properly, but the speed of the movies are faster tha I think it should be..... I tried my old DVD's and got the same problem..... lets see, if the Bluray plays at 100 mph it should look fine at 98 mph....... it's a minor speed problem but uit's noticeable....

Anyone knows what can be causing this? or what can I try to sort it out?
andyf2000 is offline  
post #7 of 11 Old 12-28-2011, 12:21 PM
Newbie
 
khansen46's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been researching the VBR133 for a couple of weeks, and the reviews seem to be mixed. I bought one on Black Friday, and am overall pretty happy with it. However, I do have one issue that is really bugging me. Dekard, you said that you play videos from a USB stick. I have been able to do that also, but had the annoyance of the screen saver coming on. Once I disabled that, it now automatically powers down after a set period of time. This can be set as long as 30 minutes, but cannot be disabled. I can't watch an entire video from flash drive or external hard drive (external HDD with it's own power source works well, BTW) without the unit powering itself off. This only happens when watching videos from USB - watching from disc works as it is supposed to.
Has anyone found a solution or workaround? I have had to settle for enabling the screen saver for 20 minutes so I have a chance to push some buttons and keep it from powering off.
khansen46 is offline  
post #8 of 11 Old 01-04-2012, 10:00 AM
Advanced Member
 
girdnerg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Tahlequah, OK
Posts: 535
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I picked up the Vizio VBR133 a week or so ago from Wally World also.

I had a Panasonic DMP-BDT110 but it would not pass 3D through my HK AVR-2600. From my reading, it's a weak HDMI driver.

Well it was right after Christmas and I had all these 3D glasses, TV, and a Blu-ray movie. So I ran to Wally World for a quick fix and figured I would take it back after I ordered an LG player.

I have not done extensive testing, but so far, I love this machine. All the apps I could ask for and it plays 3D just fine. DVD up-conversion is as good as anything else I've seen and this is on a Mitsubishi WD-73740 (73" DLP).

I have a Harmony One remote, and my only complaint is that the VBR133 does not have discrete on and off codes.

Longevity is the big question. I'll keep you folks updated if it goes out on me.
girdnerg is offline  
post #9 of 11 Old 03-26-2013, 06:14 PM
Newbie
 
Jason Wiens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
delete please
Jason Wiens is offline  
post #10 of 11 Old 03-26-2013, 06:46 PM
Newbie
 
Jason Wiens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by khansen46 View Post

I've been researching the VBR133 for a couple of weeks, and the reviews seem to be mixed. I bought one on Black Friday, and am overall pretty happy with it. However, I do have one issue that is really bugging me. Dekard, you said that you play videos from a USB stick. I have been able to do that also, but had the annoyance of the screen saver coming on. Once I disabled that, it now automatically powers down after a set period of time. This can be set as long as 30 minutes, but cannot be disabled. I can't watch an entire video from flash drive or external hard drive (external HDD with it's own power source works well, BTW) without the unit powering itself off. This only happens when watching videos from USB - watching from disc works as it is supposed to.

Has anyone found a solution or workaround? I have had to settle for enabling the screen saver for 20 minutes so I have a chance to push some buttons and keep it from powering off.
[quote name="Jason Wiens" url="/t/1343908/vizio-vbr133-thread#post_23129418"

I have the EXACT same problem. I attempted to contact VIZIO support for this, but never got anywhere. Has ANYONE found a solution to this? Firmware update perhaps?

If two of us are having this issue, Guaranteed MANY, MANY more are having it and probably just cant find a forum to ask in..mad.gifeek.gif[/quote]
Jason Wiens is offline  
post #11 of 11 Old 03-24-2014, 07:43 AM
Newbie
 
custom5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
anyone get this vbr133 vizio to work with the d-box......thanks
custom5 is offline  
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Panasonic Dmp Bdt110 3d 2d Blu Ray Disc Player , Logitech Harmony One Advanced Universal Remote
Gear in this thread - Bdt110 by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off