post #121 of 338 Old 01-22-2012, 09:52 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by citrus View Post

Yamaha BD-A1010 & VCD?

Just curious if the A1010 will also play VCDs; if not, then perhaps that may be another reason for the price drop outside of the component out restrictions by the video industry.

Never heard of any blu-ray players capable of playing the VCD/SVCD type disks but I got one now!

Sherwood 5004 [a clone of Momitsu 899] plays VCDs

A2, A35, 150, 62fd, s6200, WDTV LIVE, HTPC w/ HD-DVD/BD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 338 Old 01-30-2012, 05:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Looks like they are back in stock. Ordered one today. bro-in law has an oppo 95 so we can have fun comparing. Not expecting oppo performance but may be able to put the rest of the cash into other upgrades. We'll see. 30 days to check it out.
Really just looking for better than average analog sound in a universal player.

Russ
post #123 of 338 Old 02-01-2012, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backinsdle View Post

Looks like they are back in stock. Ordered one today. bro-in law has an oppo 95 so we can have fun comparing. Not expecting oppo performance but may be able to put the rest of the cash into other upgrades. We'll see. 30 days to check it out.
Really just looking for better than average analog sound in a universal player.

Russ

I'd be very interested to hear the results of your comparison.
post #124 of 338 Old 02-06-2012, 01:04 PM

Have this up and running for a few days and early reviews are solid.
Load times are very quick
Blu-ray performance very nice
DVD upconversion is ok .I have a 92 inch Epson hi-Def projector so I really don't expect superior performance on that size image.
All audio is from the multi-channel outs.
I think electronics need time to break in but first reports are very encouraging. No fatigue, excellent soundstage, very listenable.
I will give it some more time and check back in.

Aragon 8008 bb 2 channel amp
Carver 705 5 channel amp
Outlaw 950 pre ( analog by-pass)
Monitor audio rs lcr center channel
Salk songtowers
Boston Acoustics CR 8 rears
xlo cabling and speaker wire
dedicated 20 amp circuits
post #125 of 338 Old 02-07-2012, 01:38 PM

Quote:

Have this up and running for a few days and early reviews are solid.
Load times are very quick
Blu-ray performance very nice
DVD upconversion is ok .I have a 92 inch Epson hi-Def projector so I really don't expect superior performance on that size image.
All audio is from the multi-channel outs.
I think electronics need time to break in but first reports are very encouraging. No fatigue, excellent soundstage, very listenable.
I will give it some more time and check back in.

Aragon 8008 bb 2 channel amp
Carver 705 5 channel amp
Outlaw 950 pre ( analog by-pass)
Monitor audio rs lcr center channel
Salk songtowers
Boston Acoustics CR 8 rears
xlo cabling and speaker wire
dedicated 20 amp circuits

Thanks for reporting back. Let us know how it goes after your break in comparison to the Oppo 95.
post #126 of 338 Old 02-08-2012, 07:28 AM

I had a A-1010 on order through a local A-V store and when I picked it up last week it was a S-65something. The sales guy called the rep and claimed that it was the replacement model for the 1010. I told him that the 1010 replaced the 1000 only recently and the S65(x) is not a comparable unit. The salesman did not seem to have any knowledge of Yamaha's BDP line. Soooooo.....what is the real story? Is this unit already out of production or is there just a manufacturer's production backlog. Does anyone know of a vendor in the US that has them in stock?

Thanks in advance
post #127 of 338 Old 02-08-2012, 09:55 AM

Liked: 16
Check out the Web site. And then call Yamaha. The BD-S1065 lists for $100 more than the BD-A1010 and doesn't have a lot of internet features or SACD or DVD-A capabilities. Here's the link: http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio...u-ray-players/
post #128 of 338 Old 02-08-2012, 11:23 AM

Thanks IraW,

I noticed that on their site previously. I liked the features of the A1010 but the units cannot be found at retailers (at least at any that online searches have pulled up). I am confused as to which units are actually in production as Yamaha still lists the A1000 that has, from my understanding, been replaced by the 1010 while my local retailer's Y rep said the A1010 has been replaced by the S671- a unit that is inferior to the 1010 and aimed at a different demographic of user (IMHO). Just wondering if anyone knows the poop! I suppose I'll give Yamaha a call.

Robin A.
post #129 of 338 Old 02-08-2012, 01:02 PM

I spoke to a service rep this pm who confirmed that the local retailer's information was blatantly incorrect. The A1010 is in production but backordered. I guess my local guy figured he could sell me a line of BS in addition to a BD player (he quoted me a price of $399 for the 1010, the going rate online, and was still going to charge me the same for the S671...$70 OVER the MSRP for that unit). No more business from me in the future! I guess I'll patiently wait on the A1010 as I feel it would fit my needs well and integrate with the RX2010 receiver I already have.
post #130 of 338 Old 02-08-2012, 03:37 PM

Hey All,
Ordered mine from ABT looks like on backorder again.
2 channel redbook sounds suprisingly good thru the analog outs.
Lack of crossover settings(only large, small,) no flac support are few of the quibbles.
Quiet fan and looks like a peice of audio equipment. Aluminum front, about 9 lbs.
Will keep you updated.
Russ
post #131 of 338 Old 02-09-2012, 06:55 AM

Just found one in stock at Full Compass. On order for delivery next week.
post #132 of 338 Old 02-09-2012, 07:19 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Looking this player over, and I did not see that FLAC is supported in specs...has anyone tried FLAC playback? Looks like a very nice player, but I do enjoy the FLAC support found in Oppo 93.

Thanks.
post #133 of 338 Old 02-09-2012, 09:06 AM

Have not tried it, but see no support. Bro -in law on his way over w/oppo 95 we shall see!!
post #134 of 338 Old 02-09-2012, 05:07 PM

Fun day comparing the oppo 95 and the yammy.
First lets say the Oppo is a great machine.So we will give that a score of 100 and I will give my impressions based on oppo being a benchmark.
The units basically were swapped out and level matched with rat shack meter. This is completley un-scientific and a couple of guys opinion
2 channel redbook and sacd. Listening included Sacd Patricia Barber " Cafe Blue" and the stereo sacd layer of Beck's Sea Change along with the redbook Nils Lofgren " Acoustic Live" This was the first swap after listening to the yammy for a good 45 minutes.The Oppo sounded wonderful. delightful highs, nice bass, great air, but certainly not night and day.Based on Oppo 100 the Yammy gets an 85
Multi-channel outs: Kinda a tough here without matched speakers but again the Oppo did everything a little better. Listening to the opening track on David Sanborn Sacd Timeagain, Dave's horn is just mesmerizing and the oppo just a little more detailed. Overall I give the same score to the Yammy of 85 .
Thru in a Billy Idol DVD Storytellers. Listening to the 5.1 DTS track Stevie Stevens guitar just sounds so nice and Billy's voice raspy as ever. very nice. Oppo sure up-converts beautifully.
Oppo 100 on the up-conversion, Yamaha 60. Yammy 80 on the audio.
Blu-ray audio of Tom Petty.. again Oppo just a little better at everything.

I wasn't expecting the Yamaha to keep pace with the Oppo but it did but up a nice battle. After un-hooking the Oppo and re-hooking up the yammy it still sounded dam good !!
For 399.00 does a nice job on the audio side. I would say the upconverted dvd's were drastically better on the Oppo. (92 inch screen)
I have not tested any of the streaming services so cannot comment. Have not tried the audio from the HDMI either. This machine is dead quiet. The Oppo made clicking sounds everytime it did a function..kinda annoying
I am going to order a oppo 93 before my 30 days are up with this. The lack of flac support kinda bugs me. I would think if the audio is on par with the Yammy the benifit of the superior upconverting and flac support may be worth the extra 100.00. The re-sale on the Oppo's are also second to none.

Russ
post #135 of 338 Old 02-10-2012, 01:20 PM

Quote:

Fun day comparing the oppo 95 and the yammy.
First lets say the Oppo is a great machine.So we will give that a score of 100 and I will give my impressions based on oppo being a benchmark.
The units basically were swapped out and level matched with rat shack meter. This is completley un-scientific and a couple of guys opinion
2 channel redbook and sacd. Listening included Sacd Patricia Barber " Cafe Blue" and the stereo sacd layer of Beck's Sea Change along with the redbook Nils Lofgren " Acoustic Live" This was the first swap after listening to the yammy for a good 45 minutes.The Oppo sounded wonderful. delightful highs, nice bass, great air, but certainly not night and day.Based on Oppo 100 the Yammy gets an 85
Multi-channel outs: Kinda a tough here without matched speakers but again the Oppo did everything a little better. Listening to the opening track on David Sanborn Sacd Timeagain, Dave's horn is just mesmerizing and the oppo just a little more detailed. Overall I give the same score to the Yammy of 85 .
Thru in a Billy Idol DVD Storytellers. Listening to the 5.1 DTS track Stevie Stevens guitar just sounds so nice and Billy's voice raspy as ever. very nice. Oppo sure up-converts beautifully.
Oppo 100 on the up-conversion, Yamaha 60. Yammy 80 on the audio.
Blu-ray audio of Tom Petty.. again Oppo just a little better at everything.

I wasn't expecting the Yamaha to keep pace with the Oppo but it did but up a nice battle. After un-hooking the Oppo and re-hooking up the yammy it still sounded dam good !!
For 399.00 does a nice job on the audio side. I would say the upconverted dvd's were drastically better on the Oppo. (92 inch screen)
I have not tested any of the streaming services so cannot comment. Have not tried the audio from the HDMI either. This machine is dead quiet. The Oppo made clicking sounds everytime it did a function..kinda annoying
I am going to order a oppo 93 before my 30 days are up with this. The lack of flac support kinda bugs me. I would think if the audio is on par with the Yammy the benifit of the superior upconverting and flac support may be worth the extra 100.00. The re-sale on the Oppo's are also second to none.

Russ

Thanks for the comparison Russ. I actually expected the Yamaha to perform even better then it did based on some of the pro reviews I read.

Let us know what you think of it compared to the Oppo 93. Maybe it will be more on an even keel with it.
post #136 of 338 Old 02-10-2012, 02:37 PM

"Thanks for the comparison Russ. I actually expected the Yamaha to perform even better then it did based on some of the pro reviews I read.

Let us know what you think of it compared to the Oppo 93. Maybe it will be more on an even keel with it"
I actually like this player for the money. If it had FLAC support I think it would be a no brainer.
I have not seen any professional reviews. Can you share?
Thanks
post #137 of 338 Old 02-10-2012, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Actually, if the Denon DBP2012UDCI and Marantz UD7006 (or was it BD7006?) could output SACD as 176.4 KHz PCM, you'd top the Oppos and the Yamaha! You'd have the best for analog and digital audio and video. The Denon and Marantz even include gamma. Of course, I'll bet not many of us can aford the Denon DBP2012UDCI or Marantz UD7006/BD7006. So if HDMI out is most important to you, I'd go with the Yamaha, especially if you hve a receiver with good built-in video deinterlacing and upconverting.
post #138 of 338 Old 02-13-2012, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big C View Post

... if the Denon DBP2012UDCI and Marantz UD7006 (or was it BD7006?) could output SACD as 176.4 KHz PCM, you'd top the Oppos and the Yamaha!...

My receiver can accept DSD so there is no need for conversion to PCM in the player.
It is UD7006 btw.
post #139 of 338 Old 02-13-2012, 08:56 AM

Quote:

"
I have not seen any professional reviews. Can you share?
Thanks

It was actually a review of the BD-A1000 which from my understanding is essentially the same player. I provided a link to the review below.

http://www.stereophile.com/content/music-round-50
post #140 of 338 Old 02-13-2012, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch57 View Post

It was actually a review of the BD-A1000 which from my understanding is essentially the same player. I provided a link to the review below.

http://www.stereophile.com/content/music-round-50

Thanks Mitch,
I did read that review a while ago forgot that they are basically same machine. I have an oppo93 being delivered on thursday so we will see.

Russ
post #141 of 338 Old 02-16-2012, 06:57 AM

I hooked up my A1010 last night and all is well except the Yammy AV Cotroller App does not recognize the unit...even when I manually enter the IP address of the A1010. The app recognizes my RX 2010 and the controller works well with it. I have the ethernet port connected to a Mac Mini set up for internet sharing through the EN port. I can access online content such as Netflix, you tube fine so I know it is connected to my network. Anyone have any ideas.

Thanks in advance,

Robin
post #142 of 338 Old 02-17-2012, 06:35 AM

Anyone?....Bueller....Bueller........Bueller???
post #143 of 338 Old 02-18-2012, 06:28 AM

I'm having exactly the same issue with the A1010. I can control a yamaha receiver (RX-A3000) but not the BD player. Unfortunately, I've had no luck with a solution. I haven't called Yamaha tech support yet, so that may be my next move.
post #144 of 338 Old 02-19-2012, 11:10 AM

I have had the oppo 93 around for a few days now. Not impressed at all with the sound from the analog outs...reminds me of the Panasonic bdp 55 I am replacing. I will give it a few more days but I know its not gong to improve enough. Non-involving, no warmth. The difference between the 93 and the Yamaha is much larger than the yamaha and the Oppo 95.
Great video though.
post #145 of 338 Old 02-22-2012, 06:37 AM

Thanks Enom,

If I get the chance today I'll call Y tech. support. I can't seem to find any documents supporting the A/V app use so unless someone posts a solution I suppose tech support is the next step. If you find out more, please post as I will do the same.
post #146 of 338 Old 02-23-2012, 05:07 AM

For those interesting, a new version of the A/V app (ver. 3.0) has been uploaded to App store. It didn't solve my issue of non-communication with the A1010, but maybe it will for others.
post #147 of 338 Old 02-25-2012, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

I have had the oppo 93 around for a few days now. Not impressed at all with the sound from the analog outs...reminds me of the Panasonic bdp 55 I am replacing. I will give it a few more days but I know its not gong to improve enough. Non-involving, no warmth. The difference between the 93 and the Yamaha is much larger than the yamaha and the Oppo 95.
Great video though.

I keep swtching back and forth between my two Pioneer players and my all-in-one Yamaha BD-A1010. Right now, I'm enjoying the flexibility and convenience of my 1010. Because of its 176.4 KHz DSD-to-PCM conversion, this makes it one of the best digital transports for audio. Being compatible with 90%-99% of the optical disc/file format repertoire avoids multiple cables for multiple players. I can't test its multi-channel analog because my receiver doesn't have the multi-channel analog inputs, but if its analog output can approach the BDP95, then the Yamaha Aventage BD-A1010 is a pretty nice player for its price! Don't forget that the enon DBP2012UDCI and Marantz UD7006 might be of slightly higher calabre than the Oppo BDP95, which makes this Yamaha's price look even better considering all of the above! The only thing the Yamaha is missing is the Marvell QDEO video processor!
post #148 of 338 Old 02-25-2012, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big C View Post

... The only thing the Yamaha is missing is the Marvell QDEO video processor!

... or something like "source direct".
post #149 of 338 Old 02-26-2012, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drSeehas View Post

... or something like "source direct".

I'm not sure if this is what you are referring to, but the BD-A1010 has two "Pure Direct" modes. Mode 1, disables circuitry to all video output, and Mode 2, disables circuitry for all video output except HDMI.
post #150 of 338 Old 02-26-2012, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enonimos View Post

I'm not sure if this is what you are referring to, but the BD-A1010 has two "Pure Direct" modes. Mode 1, disables circuitry to all video output, and Mode 2, disables circuitry for all video output except HDMI.

I know these modes but they affect only audio, not video.
I mean a video mode: no interlacing, no upscaling, everything untouched as it is on the disk.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Yamaha , Yamaha Bd A1010bl Blu Ray Disc Player , Blu Ray Players , Yamaha Rx A1000 Receiver , Yamaha Rx V667 Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers
Gear in this thread - A1010bl by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page