Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 126 Old 07-08-2012, 04:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

You cannot "push" content to the player, only "pull" from the player.

Wow, that's a major drawback for me. I don't have a tv in my listening room and, even if I did, the ca751 'my network' screen just doesn't seem adequate somehow for browsing large numbers of audio files.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 126 Old 07-08-2012, 01:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by dond2 View Post

Wow, that's a major drawback for me. I don't have a tv in my listening room and, even if I did, the ca751 'my network' screen just doesn't seem adequate somehow for browsing large numbers of audio files.

Twonky is a DLNA compatible media server. I do not think this player is a DLNA compatible device. It seems to just play files directly from USB / SATA. Though, this is the right idea. DLNA or Airplay should allow you to use any number of remote apps on your phone / tablet to choose which content to stream without needing any sort of TV output.
post #93 of 126 Old 07-10-2012, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank_PD View Post

I do not think this player is a DLNA compatible device. It seems to just play files directly from USB / SATA.

Its 'My Network' facility does allow the 751 to 'see' media servers, interrogate their content and 'pull' content to itself. But the server cannot push content to the player. The user manual is not completely clear on this. It says 'My Network option enables the player to receive streaming audio, video and photo from upnp media servers on the network'. Cambridge Audio Support have confirmed to me that 'The UPnP section of the 751 is an adjunct to the blu ray section so it is designed with a view that an on screen interface is available. As such it does not support control via web browser or UPnP remote.'

Quote:
Though, this is the right idea.

Could you expand a bit on that please?

My android phone has an app (MediaHouse) which streams media on my wireless network from any source device to any target device which is compatible with dnla/upnp. My 'dream' target device would be about phone-size, plug into the usb port of the 751 and appear to it exactly like a memory stick. It wouldn't need dacs or display and would, ideally, cost £5. smile.gif
post #94 of 126 Old 07-10-2012, 11:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dond2 View Post

Its 'My Network' facility does allow the 751 to 'see' media servers, interrogate their content and 'pull' content to itself. But the server cannot push content to the player. The user manual is not completely clear on this. It says 'My Network option enables the player to receive streaming audio, video and photo from upnp media servers on the network'. Cambridge Audio Support have confirmed to me that 'The UPnP section of the 751 is an adjunct to the blu ray section so it is designed with a view that an on screen interface is available. As such it does not support control via web browser or UPnP remote.'
Could you expand a bit on that please?
My android phone has an app (MediaHouse) which streams media on my wireless network from any source device to any target device which is compatible with dnla/upnp. My 'dream' target device would be about phone-size, plug into the usb port of the 751 and appear to it exactly like a memory stick. It wouldn't need dacs or display and would, ideally, cost £5. smile.gif

I do not own the player --am just interested in it, so I can't say for sure. It sounds like the upnp section of the 751 is not as feature rich in this area as some other players / devices. Cambridge's website doesn't seem to mention the streaming features in much detail and does not advertise the player as DLNA certified.

I am saying I have seen AirPlay / DLNA certified devices that supports both on screen navigation from a media server to select items to play, and Android / iOS apps that can control the media server and push content to the player without the need for the on screen navigation or any screen at all.

For example I used both JRiver Media Center and iTunes to push content to a Marantz NA7004 network player that is in a two channel system with no screen. I can push the content directly from the PC, or from a remote application running on an Android / iOS device. (The iTunes remote only works on iOS.)
post #95 of 126 Old 08-07-2012, 08:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerd View Post

For all 751BD users, I suppose you may know by hints in its manual if you ever noticed, let me just emphasize how important is it for you to TURN ON the QDEO processor by tweaking the SHARPNESS to +1 or above, it is night and day for the PQ, it is so crispy and bring your bluray experience to whole new level. We all shared this trick in Hong Kong and most of us consider 751BD can achieve 20% better picture you can ever get in Oppo 95.

Thanks for the tip
post #96 of 126 Old 08-07-2012, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damienbuckley View Post

Any Aussies here can offer an opinion on whether theres much value in ordering the multi-region version of the 751BD? I've looked online and prices of BluRays dont seem to be hugely different overseas, especially when factoring in shipping.

If I lived in the states Iwouldn't bother
post #97 of 126 Old 08-16-2012, 03:45 AM

I finally got my 751 back after it's tune up from JLTI including a Terra Firma clock, all the multi channel 5532 ic's replaced with LM4562's noise reduction on all dacs. I'm very happy with the results.
post #98 of 126 Old 11-21-2012, 12:54 PM

Hi Folks,
I would like to have your opinion choosing blu ray player, I have Arcam 137 DVD player and happy with its AQ, now I want to buy Blu ray player but I want AQ at least good as Arcam. Would you recommend Cambridge 651 or 751? or which model/brand you recommend?
Please note, I'm using only coaxial digital bitstream output for the sound, so high grade analog 7.1 outputs are useless, better save money and get high end transport player.
Anyone like to answer. Many thanks to all.
post #99 of 126 Old 11-21-2012, 07:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight7m View Post

Hi Folks,
I would like to have your opinion choosing blu ray player, I have Arcam 137 DVD player and happy with its AQ, now I want to buy Blu ray player but I want AQ at least good as Arcam. Would you recommend Cambridge 651 or 751? or which model/brand you recommend?
Please note, I'm using only coaxial digital bitstream output for the sound, so high grade analog 7.1 outputs are useless, better save money and get high end transport player.
Anyone like to answer. Many thanks to all.

I would not buy either of these players right now as the chipset they are based on is old at this point and many other manufactures have just refreshed their Blu-ray players to newer tech. i.e. with much faster disc loading, many have dropped the need for fans if they had them. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a product refresh from Cambridge Audio soon. If not, I'd say these are behind the current designs of Oppo / Marantz, etc.

Also, if the player is not doing the decoding, the audio quality will be determined by your receiver or wherever you are sending the HDMI signal.
post #100 of 126 Old 11-22-2012, 02:59 AM

Thank you Tank PD for reply, its very helpful. So is it better as general role I keep using Arcam for a while until new tech or go a head with Marantz/oppo?

Also may i ask is Marantz blu ray players video and audio performance are high end? I don't see reviews about them, if they are can someone please recommend a model.

Just let you know, I have been advised Sony S790 which have good reviews and its best buy, but i feel its entry level, it may have good PQ but i suspet AQ is good enough when using RCA digital output.

As for digital output, i'm using only Coaxial output because i don't have HDMI receiver input. As far i learned in the past the clock and power supply make different even the player is transport (streaming signal only from RCA digital output), if this changed now i mean any cheap player perform as high end please let me know. Also i compare Sony DVD player with Arcam 137 using RCA coaxial digital output bitstreem and i found big different as Arcam: warm, realistic and rich. Sony player price tag was $950 in 2003.

By the way im using Krell gear.
post #101 of 126 Old 11-22-2012, 03:15 AM

Liked: 13
I wouldnt buy a 751 right now. Too close to CES 2013 I am sure they will announce a new version with 4k and other features
post #102 of 126 Old 11-22-2012, 02:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight7m View Post

Thank you Tank PD for reply, its very helpful. So is it better as general role I keep using Arcam for a while until new tech or go a head with Marantz/oppo?
Also may i ask is Marantz blu ray players video and audio performance are high end? I don't see reviews about them, if they are can someone please recommend a model.
Just let you know, I have been advised Sony S790 which have good reviews and its best buy, but i feel its entry level, it may have good PQ but i suspet AQ is good enough when using RCA digital output.
As for digital output, i'm using only Coaxial output because i don't have HDMI receiver input. As far i learned in the past the clock and power supply make different even the player is transport (streaming signal only from RCA digital output), if this changed now i mean any cheap player perform as high end please let me know. Also i compare Sony DVD player with Arcam 137 using RCA coaxial digital output bitstreem and i found big different as Arcam: warm, realistic and rich. Sony player price tag was $950 in 2003.
By the way im using Krell gear.

Does your Krell gear not have HDMI or multichannel analog in?

Coaxial or optical digital connections will only carry the older Dolby Digital or DTS formats. Both of these formats are lossy. You will experience a much larger gain in audio quality by using HDMI or a player that can decode the Dolby TrueHD or DTS HD formats and output via multichannel analog outputs. Going from a mid-level entry level player to a high-end player will not make as big of a difference as using the latest loseless codecs.

Players I've heard great things about:

Panasonic DMP-BDT500
Marantz UD5007 / UD7007
Oppo BDP-103 / BDP-105
Pioneer Elite BDP-62FD
Sony S790 (Yes, the drive mechanism may seem cheap, but it is a fantastic player.)

These players are fairly new. Anything else, like from Cambridge, whose players are older than all of these listed, I would wait on as mentioned CES 2013 is around the corner. Not that these players are bad, they are just behind the most recent players and are likely due for a refresh.

You may have better luck in the choosing a blu-ray player thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/959985/official-help-me-choose-a-player-thread-cant-decide-start-here/14250
post #103 of 126 Old 11-23-2012, 02:11 AM

Thank you Kelseyhorne and Tank PD for help. Unfortunately, my Krell does not have multi channel and HDMI inputs, so i have to stick with digital coaxial RCA outputs.
Sincerely,
post #104 of 126 Old 11-23-2012, 02:54 AM

Liked: 13
You could try the new Denon 3313UD. I had the Oppo 95 and the 751. Cambridge in my opinion was better for sound, might be the way the oppo implements the sharc DAC but I always found the sound on the oppo not very welcoming. Anyway just my 2 cents.
post #105 of 126 Old 11-23-2012, 12:59 PM

Ok i might go for Marantz UD7007 player if AQ is good as 137 or better.
post #106 of 126 Old 12-03-2012, 06:46 AM

Hello

I've just bought the Cambridge Audio BD751 - I need to set it up to use the HDMI 2 output through a Pioneer VSX LX70 receiver, which can't process 3D. I am a bit new to AV, and cannot get the second HDMI output to work.I am using the optical digital output for sound at the moment (I think). Any advice?

Many thanks

Martin
post #107 of 126 Old 12-19-2012, 07:56 AM

I've owned a Denon 3910 since 2007 and am happy with it overall. I use it mainly for audio (CDs, SACDs, and DVD-As) via multi-channel analog along with the occasional DVD. I don't own a Blu-Ray player, as I'm more into audio quality than video, but I do own a 42" HDTV.

That being said, I have had my eye on the 751BD for a few months as a replacement for the 3910 mainly based on the positive reviews regarding audio quality. But since the 3910 works fine, I haven't pulled the trigger because I can't really justify the expense of a new one.

Recently I noticed that Crutchfield dropped the price on the 751BD by $250 down to $899, so now I'm really tempted to buy one, but I'm looking for opinions on the audio quality of the 751BD vs the 3910 via analog outputs. I'm sure the 751BD is an overall improvement from the 3910, especially in the video department, but is the audio improvement enough to justify the $899 expense?
post #108 of 126 Old 12-19-2012, 11:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by budlyte View Post

I've owned a Denon 3910 since 2007 and am happy with it overall. I use it mainly for audio (CDs, SACDs, and DVD-As) via multi-channel analog along with the occasional DVD. I don't own a Blu-Ray player, as I'm more into audio quality than video, but I do own a 42" HDTV.
That being said, I have had my eye on the 751BD for a few months as a replacement for the 3910 mainly based on the positive reviews regarding audio quality. But since the 3910 works fine, I haven't pulled the trigger because I can't really justify the expense of a new one.
Recently I noticed that Crutchfield dropped the price on the 751BD by $250 down to $899, so now I'm really tempted to buy one, but I'm looking for opinions on the audio quality of the 751BD vs the 3910 via analog outputs. I'm sure the 751BD is an overall improvement from the 3910, especially in the video department, but is the audio improvement enough to justify the $899 expense?

You should make sure you have read the above posts, which speculate the 751 is about to be refreshed next year. Though it could just be a holiday sale, I have not seen many discounts from Crutchfield on products that were not about to be discontinued.
post #109 of 126 Old 12-19-2012, 02:49 PM

Quote:

You should make sure you have read the above posts, which speculate the 751 is about to be refreshed next year. Though it could just be a holiday sale, I have not seen many discounts from Crutchfield on products that were not about to be discontinued.

I noticed those posts and thought the same thing about it being replaced next year. In fact, when I bought my 3910 from Crutchfield in '07 it was half price because it was being replaced.

Are you thinking I should hold off on the 751 in case the price drops further next year, or hold off and wait for the potential new player?

I don't necessarily need the latest and greatest player; I'm looking for a balance between performance and price, which is why I bought the Denon in '07, and it's also why the Cambridge on sale is tempting right now.

The 3910 has been a great unit so far, which is why I'm hesitant to buy a new one (if it ain't broke....) On the other hand, if the audio will be a big improvement over the Denon, I don't mind spending the money on the Cambridge, especially with it being on sale.

Hopefully some forum members have heard both players and can provide some input on the audio differences.
post #110 of 126 Old 12-19-2012, 03:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I noticed those posts and thought the same thing about it being replaced next year. In fact, when I bought my 3910 from Crutchfield in '07 it was half price because it was being replaced.
Are you thinking I should hold off on the 751 in case the price drops further next year, or hold off and wait for the potential new player?
I don't necessarily need the latest and greatest player; I'm looking for a balance between performance and price, which is why I bought the Denon in '07, and it's also why the Cambridge on sale is tempting right now.
The 3910 has been a great unit so far, which is why I'm hesitant to buy a new one (if it ain't broke....) On the other hand, if the audio will be a big improvement over the Denon, I don't mind spending the money on the Cambridge, especially with it being on sale.
Hopefully some forum members have heard both players and can provide some input on the audio differences.

I can't say for sure, but I have not seen steep discounts on old equipment from Crutchfield. Often the first closeout price is the final closeout. You can try contacting them for a better deal. You'll have to wait for someone else to comment on the audio differences.
post #111 of 126 Old 12-21-2012, 11:27 PM

I am expecting delivery of a 751BD soon. In the speaker setup menu, where you adjust the speaker distances, in what increments are the adjustments? I know it's in feet; please tell me that the adjustments are in 0.5 ft steps or smaller! Thanks in advance, the manual doesn't state this spec, and searches turn up nothing.

Pioneer | Cambridge Audio | Dynaudio | Identical + equidistant 5.0 | KISS

post #112 of 126 Old 12-23-2012, 10:13 AM

I just finished connecting mine and the speaker increments are 0.25 feet. Looking forward to giving my new player a workout!
post #113 of 126 Old 12-23-2012, 03:44 PM

I'm very impressed with the audio on this player so far. My Denon 3910 is no slouch, but the Cambridge is a definite improvement. I've listened to America's Homecoming DVD-A, Billy Joel's 52nd Street multi-channel SACD, and I'm watching Porcupine Tree's Anesthetize DVD right now. All via the multi-channel analog outs.

This is my first Blu-ray player so I'll have to pick up a few of those discs and check out the sound and picture quality as well.
post #114 of 126 Old 12-23-2012, 04:19 PM

Quote:

I just finished connecting mine and the speaker increments are 0.25 feet. Looking forward to giving my new player a workout!

Thank you, budlyte, for your response. Glad to hear you're enjoying your new player.

Pioneer | Cambridge Audio | Dynaudio | Identical + equidistant 5.0 | KISS

post #115 of 126 Old 12-23-2012, 05:50 PM

You are welcome. Hope you enjoy yours as well.
post #116 of 126 Old 01-01-2013, 03:15 PM

Liked: 21
I am looking to upgrade to the Cambridge 751BD (from the 650BD). Has anyone tried the component outputs? Does it transmit 1080i for Blu Ray, or is it limited to 480P like some of the newer Blu Ray players?

I asked Cambridge customer support. I could not get a straight answer. They say officially it is limited to 480P, like my 650BD (which isn't limited). But to check with my dealer. The dealer says it does 1080i, because he saw it written in the manual. The manual also says it does 1080P over the component output, which is an obvious mistake.

Bottom line is, my HDTV has no HDMI inputs. If I want 1080i, I need it to be output through the analog component output. The 751BD is being liquidated at 899$, which is a great price. But, if it cannot do 1080i over the component output, I will unfortunately have to pass on this deal...

If anyone has tried the component output, I would be very happy to know your results.
post #117 of 126 Old 01-21-2013, 04:21 AM

Cambridge release new Blu ray 752, any opinion about it and is going to have new forum and thank you .
post #118 of 126 Old 04-07-2013, 12:37 AM

I have a bad luck with a second Cambridge audio device.. First of all my 751R receiver got a bug of not switching on neither from remote control nor from button of front panel, then 2 months later, yesterday my 751BD began to show enormous lags on remote control commands. I am angry on CA...
Is it kind of a general scheme problem and CA should fix it with a new firmware? What's going on?
post #119 of 126 Old 04-07-2013, 12:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marooned66 View Post

I have a bad luck with a second Cambridge audio device.. First of all my 751R receiver got a bug of not switching on neither from remote control nor from button of front panel, then 2 months later, yesterday my 751BD began to show enormous lags on remote control commands. I am angry on CA...
Is it kind of a general scheme problem and CA should fix it with a new firmware? What's going on?

I'm not sure, but new models are already out. You should contact CA customer support to see if any new firmware will even apply to the old models.
post #120 of 126 Old 04-07-2013, 05:01 AM

Quote:

I'm not sure, but new models are already out. You should contact CA customer support to see if any new firmware will even apply to the old models.
CA was approached before this case and the answer (in February) was - what you have is the latest. Seems CA closed bugfixing for old equipment. Well I can accept it from Nokia or other companies with thousands of unique devices produced, but CA is having dozens..
Cost saving?
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Cambridge Audio , Cambridge Audio Azur 751bd 3d Compatible Universal Blu Ray Player Black , Blu Ray Players
Gear in this thread - 751bd by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page