Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 604 Old 01-13-2012, 12:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by drSeehas View Post

Does anyone except mywhitenoise have any trouble playing multi-channel DVD-Audios when the HDMI Audio Out is set to "bitstream"?

Ran 7 DVD-A disc through the player, HDMI set to bitstream, and also set digital audio to bitstream although dhould not be a factor here. All discs were recognized, loaded and played fine, however, all signals were passed as PCM and identified as such on my SC37. I through a DTS disc in, and it was recognized as DTS. The only other oddity, was on some DVD-A discs, on certain tracks, the image on the screen would not render, but just for a specific track. Discs used in the test; Fleetwood Mac Rumours, Say You Will; Eagles Hotel California; Chicago Chicago V; Doors LA Woman; ELP Brain Salad Surgery; The Band Music From Big Pink; Steely Dan Gaucho (DTS). One last thing. The Band and ELP playback, were a bit different. Listening to the Weight, the primary/lead vocal was produced out the left channel, ELP lead vocal was equal between left and right, stereo if you will (5.1 was still being produced), not center centric. However, without knowing how these were mixed and the intent, it is difficult to say whether or not this is correct.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 604 Old 01-13-2012, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noklew View Post

Ran 7 DVD-A disc through the player, HDMI set to bitstream, and also set digital audio to bitstream although dhould not be a factor here. All discs were recognized, loaded and played fine, however, all signals were passed as PCM and identified as such on my SC37. I through a DTS disc in, and it was recognized as DTS. The only other oddity, was on some DVD-A discs, on certain tracks, the image on the screen would not render, but just for a specific track. Discs used in the test; Fleetwood Mac Rumours, Say You Will; Eagles Hotel California; Chicago Chicago V; Doors LA Woman; ELP Brain Salad Surgery; The Band Music From Big Pink; Steely Dan Gaucho (DTS). One last thing. The Band and ELP playback, were a bit different. Listening to the Weight, the primary/lead vocal was produced out the left channel, ELP lead vocal was equal between left and right, stereo if you will (5.1 was still being produced), not center centric. However, without knowing how these were mixed and the intent, it is difficult to say whether or not this is correct.

Played The Band & ELP discs in another player I have that I know to be solid, and the results were the same as the 53FD. So my consensus would be, no issues.
post #273 of 604 Old 01-15-2012, 02:42 AM

Quote:

... 53FD. So my consensus would be, no issues.

Thank you very much.
The results are the same with the European model.
So, it is only the specific player of mywhitenoise, which is broken.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mywhitenoise View Post

This seems like a widespread issue, it's not just MY player that's "faulty".

This is proofed wrong, as long as it refers to DVD-Audio also, as claimed by mywhitenoise.
post #274 of 604 Old 01-15-2012, 01:55 PM

Mywhitenoise, what discs are you having issues with? Titles?
post #275 of 604 Old 01-16-2012, 09:46 PM

Liked: 23
Hey all. Just a quick question
Been looking at the 53 for a month or so and wanted some opinions. Ive got an old bdp51-fd going to an sc-57 to a 151fd. Since my sc-57 has the marvell qdeo would i get any benefit from bdp-53 or be just as well off buying the bdp-52? Thanks for replies in advance
post #276 of 604 Old 01-17-2012, 12:33 AM

Quote:

Mywhitenoise, what discs are you having issues with? Titles?

If you read mywhitenoises previous answer:
Quote:

Because when I play a DVD-A through "bitstream" it screws up the channels?

it seems to be every DVD-Audio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-town oil View Post

... Since my sc-57 has the marvell qdeo would i get any benefit from bdp-53 or be just as well off buying the bdp-52? ...

You need only ONE QDEO, hence the BDP-52FD is sufficient.
post #277 of 604 Old 01-18-2012, 11:44 AM

Quote:

If you read mywhitenoises previous answer:it seems to be every DVD-Audio.

You need only ONE QDEO, hence the BDP-52FD is sufficient.

No, I'm having trouble with SACDs. It was, however, having trouble with playing audio from a standard DVD I played (not a DVD-A disc).

Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon, and NIN - The Downward Spiral sometimes don't even read...when they do, the channels are all messed up.

Pink Floyd - Wish You Were here, plays...but again, no sound from the right surround channel, and other channels seem mixed.

I haven't tried other SACDs...so far every DVD-A I've played, plays fine.
post #278 of 604 Old 01-18-2012, 01:54 PM

Quote:

... so far every DVD-A I've played, plays fine.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=249

No comment.
post #279 of 604 Old 01-18-2012, 02:45 PM

I reported awhile back the issues with certain multi channel SACDs DSOM, BIA and also opened a case with Pioneer. As far as watching a regular DVD, I have not experienced anything yet. Will post if I run in to an issue
post #280 of 604 Old 01-18-2012, 04:37 PM

Quote:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=249

No comment.

Yup, I guess you "proofed" me wrong. I have several SACDs and DVD-As, is it so hard to imagine I mistakingly labeled an SACD as DVD-A?
I've made it pretty clear that the main problem is my SACD playback, as I've mentioned 3 of them several times in this thread.
post #281 of 604 Old 01-19-2012, 01:16 AM

Quote:

Yup, I guess you "proofed" me wrong. I have several SACDs and DVD-As, is it so hard to imagine I mistakingly labeled an SACD as DVD-A? ...

Not when we argued about this fact in countless posts and I get answers from you e.g. like
Quote:

Dude, you need to reread what I wrote.

post #282 of 604 Old 01-19-2012, 05:44 AM

Well after playing around with several titles, dvd-a plays fine. Stereo sacd plays fine. But the rear speaker mapping for multi-channel sacds is definitely screwed up. I'm getting nothing from the right rear speaker, the balance between the fronts and center seems off as well. I thought this might have been a specific disc issue, but near as I can tell it affects all sacds, least the ones in my library. On one title, the Oasis What's the Story Morning Glory, I even had static out of the right rear... hope this is fixable by firmware.
post #283 of 604 Old 01-19-2012, 07:40 PM

Just hooked up the Pioneer 53FD to a Pioneer VSX-92-TXH . Tested a few blu-rays both musical and dramatic and they look and sound fabulous. Was puzzled as have others about the PCM display on the receiver replacing the usual audio names I was used to observing on the display....but then I read page 43 of the manual. So switched the HDMI audio out from PCM to bitstream and the assortment of HD Master titles, depending on the blu-ray, returned and the PCM display was gone.

As others have pointed out unless you really need to see DTS-HD Master or Dolby True HD...in your display-you can leave the HDMI out defaulted to PCM.

I love the new size of the machine. Far more compact than the BDP-51 FD and loads way, way faster. It is very quiet too. The load time on this model will be a welcome relief to those of us who have used higher end Pioneer players and gone for lunch while we waited for the 'blockbuster summer' blu-rays to load

This morning I played some flac files without a hitch, from a usb key loaded into the front of the machine, and moved on to play a few mkv files, on the same key. All of the mkv files as well as the avi files loaded easily, the better mkv files looked and sounded wonderful.

One very minor complaint-you really have to aim the remote pretty dead-on to get your options moving on the screen but that might be my fault as my player is lower on the stand than one might usually place the BD player.

One last thing, I hooked it up to the internet to watch and listen to some You Tube content. (No Pandora north of the border.) The hookup was fast, no hitches in the stream or any buffer lag, but I used an ethernet connection via a pair of WD Live boxes, which of course run through my electrical outlets. I find wireless a pain in the rear.

There is a review of the 52FD in Home Theater magazine and I read high praise for the 3D decoding of this series of players. I have not tried that out yet but look forward to doing so and appreciate the dual HDMI's on the rear of the 53FD (main and sub) for direct connection to a 3D set and allowing for a direct connection to an older receiver (VSX 92) to pick up the sound without shelling out for a newer model.

Just downloaded the Ipad App an hour ago and am getting ready to test that out on the BDP-53FD. Considering that this ELITE model cost me less than half of what I paid for a BDP-HD50 (really a 94HD) just four years ago, this is a terrific value and product.
post #284 of 604 Old 01-20-2012, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vonbek777 View Post

Well after playing around with several titles, dvd-a plays fine. Stereo sacd plays fine. But the rear speaker mapping for multi-channel sacds is definitely screwed up. I'm getting nothing from the right rear speaker, the balance between the fronts and center seems off as well. I thought this might have been a specific disc issue, but near as I can tell it affects all sacds, least the ones in my library. On one title, the Oasis What's the Story Morning Glory, I even had static out of the right rear... hope this is fixable by firmware.

Did you experience this in both bitstream and pcm? I ask, because, when I switched to pcm, the channel issues were corrected. Please let me know. Thank you
post #285 of 604 Old 01-20-2012, 06:13 PM
sr

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Does anyone have the discrete on and off IR codes? You would think that this player would have something better than a power toggle switch on the remote.
post #286 of 604 Old 01-21-2012, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr View Post
Does anyone have the discrete on and off IR codes? You would think that this player would have something better than a power toggle switch on the remote.
Here you go...

2011_Blu-ray_IR_with_Hex_11.4.11.doc 393.1142578125k . file
post #287 of 604 Old 01-21-2012, 08:22 AM
sr

Thanks b curry, but the list has a combined Power On / Standy code, which unfortunatly is the same as a power toggle command. I hate to buy another piece of equipment that can re-send the power toggle command if it senses that the equipment is in the wrong state, but it's costly and it adds another layer of failure and complication into the system.
post #288 of 604 Old 01-21-2012, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks b curry, but the list has a combined Power On / Standy code, which unfortunatly is the same as a power toggle command. I hate to buy another piece of equipment that can re-send the power toggle command if it senses that the equipment is in the wrong state, but it's costly and it adds another layer of failure and complication into the system.

You're welcome. Sorry, it's not my problem, I'm only the messenger here and provided you with the published codes. The list is direct from Pioneer and apparently what is supported by the machine.

IMHO Pioneer has not produced a completive BD player, lived up to the marketing hype, or had firmware that supports their machines advertised features on release going on four years now. These new machines are reminiscent of the BDP-05FD and BDP-51FD from 2008. It was over a year before the 05/51's received firmware that could support the full DTS codecs.

Reading this thread, why anyone would spend money on a Pioneer BD player is beyond my comprehension.

Good luck...
post #289 of 604 Old 01-21-2012, 09:20 AM
sr

At this same price point, an alternative was to go with OPPO. But OPPO has proved to be unreliable. I had to send my first generation unit twice for repair; once to replace a defective ethernet jack and a second time to replace the transport tray, which failed to open upon command.
post #290 of 604 Old 01-21-2012, 10:14 AM

Hi Guys,

About 2 weeks ago I've purchased Elite BDP-53FD player. Everything is working normal and quality of the picture is good as well. However, i am experiencing some problems playing files from Recorded disks.

I've recorded without folders BD-R disk with 10 pictures. Player recognizes disk, but it shows that images do not exist on the disk. It displays 0 out of 0.

When I recored .avi or .mkv movies on the disk. It only shows 1 file, always the first file, it does not show me all files that included on the disk. File plays fine without any issues, but only 1, other files on the disk invisible.

However, browsing same files from 2 external hard drives is not a problem. Everything works fine. Also, I have Oppo player and recorded disks described above playing all the files without any issues.

Could it be faulty player or there is some sort of a setting that I am not aware of?
If anyone have any idea or experienced this in the past, please let me know.

Thanks.
post #291 of 604 Old 01-22-2012, 11:13 AM

I'm hoping folks here can help clarify a few questions I have about SACD playback and also corroborate issues with the BDP-53FD.

My current set up includes Pioneer Elite SC-27 AVR, BDP-23FD BDP and DV-49AV SACD player.

The DV-49 is connected to the SC-27 via HDMI. As near as I can glean from the SC-27 manual, it will accept and decode a DSD bitstream from the player via HDMI. But, it appears evident that the receiver is taking the DSD bitstream is then converting it to PCM before being finally converting again to analog for playback.

I notice on the SC-27 display that DSD and PCM are illuminated during SACD playback (and the correct channel indicators reflect the setting for the mix of the disc in question, i.e. Stereo or Multi Channel).

Here are my questions:

1. Is there a reason why it is necessary to convert DSD to PCM as opposed to convert directly from digital to analog from DSD?

2. Are they are any advantages/disadvantages to going to PCM from DSD?

3. When setting the receiver audio mode to "stream direct" does this now result in direct DA conversion from DSD (in spite of the PCM indicators on the front display) or does this result in the signal still being converted to PCM but any other signal processing (as opposed to decoding) is disabled for the receiver?

4. The manual or the unit does not indicate what PCM bit rate and sampling frequency is being used for the PCM from the DSD source. The sound quality is clearly superior, so I can only assume a higher bit rate and sampling is being used than standard CD audio (16 bit, 44.1 kHz). The receiver manual indicates that it will support PCM decoding up to 24 bit and 192 kHz. Does anyone happen to know what bit rate and sampling frequency is being used for the DSD->PCM conversion by the SC-27?

Now for the BDP-53FD. I recently upgraded to this player, mainly because I was wanting the faster load times for BDs, the new video processor, internet streaming, and the ability to play all disc formats, and in particular to be able to take advantage of PQLS for SACDs.

First, I wanted to confirm that PQLS is supported with the 53 for SACDs and also wanted to confirm whether or not the player will send a DSD bitstream out the HDMI interface and if not, what bit rate and sampling frequency it uses when converting to PCM.

The reason I'm not able to tell if PQLS is supported for SACDs or if the player is sending a DSD bitstream via HDMI is because the player won't detect SACDs!

It detects and plays BD, DVD and CDs without any problem, but I tried well over a half dozen different SACDs and the player would not recognize any of them. It grinds a bit, then appears unable to read the SACD layer and displays UKN DISC. I saw that a few others have run into this issue, perhaps sporadically. I took the player back assuming I just got a defective unit.

I was thinking of having Best Buy order me a replacement, but now I'm not sure, especially after reading some of the reports of surround channel playback problems on SACDs.

The only other thing about the 53 I didn't like was the disc tray. It seems a lot less sturdy and solid than the 23, although this is a minor issue.

I'm very excited to upgrade my player and get the new features, but wanted to find out if most owners are having a good experience or if the 53 is a problem child and best avoided.

Many thanks for the help and feedback!
post #292 of 604 Old 01-22-2012, 02:09 PM

I currently have a 23FD, an SC-05 AVR, and a Kuro 151FD. I JUST picked up the 23FD used in as-new condition for $200 because my PS3 is just too loud. However, I HATE how slow the load times are, and I want to upgrade again to a 52FD or 53FD just to speed up load times. It probably won't ever be connected to the Internet except for firmware upgrades because I have all that connectivity through my TivoHDs.

I have no idea what's doing the processing right now, or whether I even need the extra processing of the 53FD, but here are my choices: a 52 for $399 out the door from an Elite dealer with factory warranty, or a 53 for the same price from a local dealer who is not an Elite dealer but has his own 2-year warranty. Which one should I get, and why?

TIA!
post #293 of 604 Old 01-23-2012, 02:45 AM
sr

Purchase it from the dealer that allows a refund in case you don't like it. I found four issues that, altough may be minor to some, are making me regret my purchase. You cannot view the amount of time remaining in playback without navagating through several steps in the menu. No discrete on/off commands. Need external jump drive to enable BD Live functionality. Firmware update through the LAN returns an error (tech support says this message is normal since the player already has the latest firmware).
post #294 of 604 Old 01-23-2012, 08:36 AM

Quote:

Purchase it from the dealer that allows a refund in case you don't like it. I found four issues that, altough may be minor to some, are making me regret my purchase. You cannot view the amount of time remaining in playback without navagating through several steps in the menu. No discrete on/off commands. Need external jump drive to enable BD Live functionality. Firmware update through the LAN returns an error (tech support says this message is normal since the player already has the latest firmware).

Thanks for the response! I've read about the problems that some people have had, but I literally just need one to play blu-rays with good PQ and fast load times. That's all I care about. Both vendors allow returns within 30 days, so that's not an issue.....it's really more about which one to get based on my processing needs, and type of warranty provided.
post #295 of 604 Old 01-24-2012, 06:25 PM

Liked: 11
When watching blu ray movies I notice i been getting audio drop out for two second every now and then it's really annoying can someone tell why it's doing this I can't take it anymore.THANKS
post #296 of 604 Old 01-25-2012, 11:21 AM

Liked: 23
whats up guys? just received my 52fd from vanns and hooked it up and ran it through a couple of quick paces. i had a question that i think i know the answer to, but needed some opinions. it is going to a sc-57 then to my 151fd monitor.

while browsing around the home menu and setting it up i realized there is no source direct mode (something i shouldve paid closer attention to before buying). is there any way to turn off all processing in the 52fd so it doesnt try to process it again when it gets to the marvell processor in the sc-57 or do i just have to deal with it? thanks in advance

ps....this thing is does blow my 51fd away in terms of speed so thats a plus
post #297 of 604 Old 01-26-2012, 01:07 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by b curry View Post

You're welcome. Sorry, it's not my problem, I'm only the messenger here and provided you with the published codes. The list is direct from Pioneer and apparently what is supported by the machine.

IMHO Pioneer has not produced a completive BD player, lived up to the marketing hype, or had firmware that supports their machines advertised features on release going on four years now. These new machines are reminiscent of the BDP-05FD and BDP-51FD from 2008. It was over a year before the 05/51's received firmware that could support the full DTS codecs.

Reading this thread, why anyone would spend money on a Pioneer BD player is beyond my comprehension.

Good luck...

This thread is hardly high recommendation for the newer Pioneer players. I'm hoping they get back on track with their AV gear now that they're not producing plasmas.

I still use a 58AV for audio and wouldn't consider paying a fortune for added BD features when you can get near perfect streaming and decent BD playback from much less expensive players...especially if you match the player to your TV for a consistent handshake.

I feel a lot of formats (and technologies) have been prematurely released and advertised to death just to keep up the "consuming" pace. I still don't get the 3D thing but again, to each their own.
post #298 of 604 Old 01-26-2012, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b curry View Post

Here you go...

hello b curry, any chance to get the ipcodes? I'm trying to get the 53 model set into the irule app?
thanks a lot already!
post #299 of 604 Old 01-26-2012, 11:13 AM

A little more help, please?

Can anyone with both a PS3 and a 53FD compare the load times for me?

TIA!
post #300 of 604 Old 01-26-2012, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clicquot View Post
hello b curry, any chance to get the ipcodes? I'm trying to get the 53 model set into the irule app?
thanks a lot already!
Here you go...

2011 Blu-ray IP & RS-232 Commands BDP140_BDP52FD.pdf 57.041015625k . file
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Pioneer , Pioneer Elite , Blu Ray Players , Bdp 52fd , Pioneer Elite Bdp 53fd

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page