AVS Forum banner

Pioneer Elite BDP-52FD and BDP-53FD Owners' Thread

129K views 630 replies 135 participants last post by  Hellenback 
#1 ·
 Attachment 224421

After two disappointing years of re-badged Sharp Products (BDP-31/33 and BDP-41/43), Pioneer has released a Mediatek (8555) chipped design that offers excellent deinterlacing and cadence recognition in synthetic and realworld tests. The 53FD offers additional video processing via Marvell's Qdeo chipset also used in most mid to upper level Pioneer and Pioneer Elite receivers.

See less See more
#452 ·
Well after a month of flawless operation last night my 53FD put out multiple very loud popping sounds but kept working. Switched everything off and smelled a burning smell from the unit.

Switched it back on and works just fine.

I opened it up tonight to investigate though and found that a blue thing has blown up with electronic blood spatter marks around it:

Now given that the unit still seems to work normally should I bother trying to fix it? It doesn't have a warranty as I bought from the US so would it be expensive to do? what are the chances a novice like me could order the part online and fix it themselves?

Also any ideas as to why it blew up? Thanks

#453 ·
it's a capacitor and very easy to do-it-yourself. Just get the exact same value (from what it says, it's 250 volt, 22 micro Farad). De-solder it and re-solder the same one.

You can just go to your nearest Dick Smith (do they still exist?) or Radio Shack to get the part, a solder starter kit, a total of maybe AU$15 (I haven't been to AU for quite a while though).

#454 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yo Joe Cola /forum/post/21911778

Well after a month of flawless operation last night my 53FD put out multiple very loud popping sounds but kept working. Switched everything off and smelled a burning smell from the unit.

Switched it back on and works just fine.

I opened it up tonight to investigate though and found that a blue thing has blown up with electronic blood spatter marks around it:

Now given that the unit still seems to work normally should I bother trying to fix it? It doesn't have a warranty as I bought from the US so would it be expensive to do? what are the chances a novice like me could order the part online and fix it themselves?

Also any ideas as to why it blew up? Thanks

I would not use it until you repair it. Low voltages or high ripple may damage other components. Leave it unplugged.

It is a good thing you heard it blow up! Mine could do it while I am not home (since it is always plugged in) and I would not know it. How long have you had it? Just a month?

I would replace all 3 capacitors. I hope it is just a single bad cap, but it is safer to replace them all if it is a bad batch.

Also note they are 105°C capacitors and probably be low ESR since they are in a switching power supply. Mouser or Digi-Key can get them to you quickly.

#455 ·
those pics look like the same thing that plagued some Korean motherboards a number of years ago....cheaply made, barely in spec capacitors that bubbled up & burst. First, data issues, bsod, then no POST. maybe this can help explain some of the inconsistent behavior quirks some of you owners experience.

the poor saga of these Pio players continues

the lesson for Pioneer is....you get what you pay for

stop subbing out to a company making a cheaply made product - only sullies your own reputation.

#456 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yo Joe Cola /forum/post/21911778

Well after a month of flawless operation last night my 53FD put out multiple very loud popping sounds but kept working.

sorry this happened to your player. you certainly didn't abuse it.

hopefully, you have good solder skills & be back in business soon

and do get them replaced. Bad caps can cause damage to other components downstream.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague

#457 ·
Thanks so much for the replies guys.

An Australian friend recommended I should run the unit off a step down transformer after I repair it as Australian power can sometimes surge over 250v.

Apparantly a component built for Europe/Australia would probably have 400v capacitors to cover surges so don't go blaming Pioneer yet, it's partly my fault for buying a US market player, even though it is switching

#459 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yo Joe Cola /forum/post/21914443

An Australian friend recommended I should run the unit off a step down transformer after I repair it as Australian power can sometimes surge over 250v.

Apparantly a component built for Europe/Australia would probably have 400v capacitors to cover surges so don't go blaming Pioneer yet, it's partly my fault for buying a US market player, even though it is switching

Does you unit say it takes up to 240 volts? A lot of US units are only rated for 120 volts max. You might be better off using a step down transformer after you replace the caps. Just because it is a switching power supply does not mean it will take any input voltage.

#460 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwtech /forum/post/21916320

Does you unit say it takes up to 240 volts? A lot of US units are only rated for 120 volts max. You might be better off using a step down transformer after you replace the caps. Just because it is a switching power supply does not mean it will take any input voltage.

Yeah it actually states input voltage as 120-240v in the specs in the manual. Going to upgrade to 400v rated capacitors though, as that's apparantly what an appliance built for the Australian/Euro market would have to guard against power surges/spikes.

I was thinking of using a transformer anyway but the rating of the caps seems to be my problem as they were running at near capacity at all times before, so even if there wasn't a surge one of them might have just died early.

#462 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Stieg /forum/post/21926169

Just how curious how the zoom function works on this player? Does anyone have a calibration disc that they can measure how much overscan it does in the lowest zoom setting?

Mine is short 1 pixel on the left.

Sloppy on Pioneer's part, as Oppo and Panasonic are 100%, but not a real problem.

#463 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwtech /forum/post/21929945

Mine is short 1 pixel on the left.

Sloppy on Pioneer's part, as Oppo and Panasonic are 100%, but not a real problem.

Thanks, but what I meant was how much overscanning does the "zoom" function perform in the lowest zoom setting (I'm assuming there's multiple zoom increments?)

If anyone has time, maybe set their TV to 1:1 pixel mapping and then set the "zoom" on the Pioneer to the lowest setting and measure the overscan with a calibration disc? I'm just curious because currently I have an LG LCD with a really nice "cinema zoom" feature that zooms in small increments; it works really well for those annoyingly windowboxed 4:3 Criterion DVDs, but I'm considering buying a Samsung plasma which unfortunately doesn't have the same type of zoom feature.

#470 ·
Hi Vinnyb or any one else for that matter, I have a sharp 844u and pioneer elite receiver sc57 and I too have having the same sync issues with the Pioneer elite 53fd. And like you only with 2d blurays. By any chance did you solve the issue. I called Pioneer and they are clueless and I have tried every setting possible. I thought it might be a sharp issue but its only with this player. I tried like you the PS3 and another older bluray player and both play fine. Wast just wondering thanks.

#471 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yo Joe Cola /forum/post/21861301

Just a random thought but to the posters complaining that the Elite brand isn't what it used to be and that the current units are overpriced: I wouldn't blame Pioneer entirely.

The whole market has changed since the '90s. I think people now demand the lowest price more than they used to and are less willing to pay extra for ultimate luxury and build quality/materials.

Think about it, Pioneer's top-of-the-line home video unit now costs US$500 in 2012 money, yet their hi-end LD players in the '90s started in the thousands of $.

Nothing like the HLD-X0 would get made now except by a boutique manufacturer producing hand made units in very low numbers.

Pioneer tried to keep luxury alive with the Kuro sets and although they had loyal fans they just weren't competitive against the extremely cheap prices of other sets the same size.

I wish more people still valued quality and products for life but they don't in general, they value the "bargain". Pioneer has to be profitable in that world.

You basically just described what is wrong with the world yet people try and demand top dollar for their work services , go figure.

#472 ·
Just to update. I have audio sync issues with the bdp 53fd and the sc-57. I have managed to find a solution. I tried all settings reset etc on tv receiver and bluesy player but what I had to do is use the dual hdmi out feature on the player. I have the audio going into the receiver and the video to the tv. Sync issues eliminated and the video is slightly cleaner, with ironman at least. Hope this helps.

#473 ·
Being a Pioneer fan I was hoping their new line of BD players looked promising enough to replace my Oppo 93 that replaced my Pioneer 23. But it looks like there are a lot of unsatisfied owners out there for me to steer clear for now. Until they can work out the bugs and offer the same level frequency with firmware updates, I will continue to be a faithful Oppo owner.

#475 ·
I've always considered the need for numerous and frequent firmware updates as an indication of problematic firmware. Are you saying the Oppo firmware is very stable, experiencing few problems and requiring few updates while the Pioneer players are prone to improperly developed and tested firmware requiring constant fixes and updating?

#476 ·
Rich, the frequent updates aren't because of the manufacturers, it's because of BD-Java issues mostly. As new "features" are rolled out, they are incompatible with older firmwares. Furthermore, when the BD+ copy protection key is changed because of piracy, your player will require a new firmware.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.