Pioneer Elite BDP-52FD and BDP-53FD Owners' Thread - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #541 of 618 Old 08-21-2012, 11:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a VSX-29TX receiver that has optical digital in but no HDMI inputs. Can I use either the BDP-52FD or BDP-53FD with this receiver and still get Dolby Digital and DTS? And if so then are there special setup requirements?

- Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 618 Old 08-22-2012, 06:01 AM

I have a 53fd- it's working great except occasionally it will lock up and I have to pull the cable from the rear to reset it. Anyone experienced this? Is this a warranty issue or just an unfortunate 'quirk'?
post #543 of 618 Old 08-24-2012, 07:59 AM

Liked: 23
My 52fd has been doing it quite frequently as of late. Not sure what the problem is.
post #544 of 618 Old 10-02-2012, 09:35 AM

Does anyone know what the last known Cinavia free firmware update for the BDP-52fd is? I just got an open box player, and it came with version 02.11. Has anyone updated with the latest from the Pioneer site to know if the newest release has Cinavia? Or, has someone got a link with archived firmwares? I only see that Pioneer has their latest firmware available.

Does the BDP-52fd allow users to roll back to earlier firmware? I don't want to update until I know what version is safe . . . or if I can roll back if not.

Thanks.

Ian
post #545 of 618 Old 10-02-2012, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked: 414
No Pioneer blu-ray player allow you to rollback the firmware unless you are using service-firmware (firmware given to service technicians). Cinavia is not a problem if you use legitimated disc. It only affects illegal discs.

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #546 of 618 Old 10-22-2012, 06:53 PM

Guys hi there: I'm interested in Pioneer's BDP-53FD but I'd like to know if it will play:

-1080p MKVs
-1080i50 BDs

My crappy Sony BDP-BX58 does - but it's so bad that it died

The user guide is somewhat confusing on these. Thanks a lot!
post #547 of 618 Old 10-22-2012, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wp746911 View Post

I have a 53fd- it's working great except occasionally it will lock up and I have to pull the cable from the rear to reset it. Anyone experienced this? Is this a warranty issue or just an unfortunate 'quirk'?

I've been experiencing this literally ONCE A DAY. This is ridiculous !! mad.gif

post #548 of 618 Old 11-18-2012, 09:25 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Does anybody know if Cinavia affects only disc based media or if a file on a USB drive or on the network will also kick in the Cinavia protection if it has Cinavia code in it?
post #549 of 618 Old 11-18-2012, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

It will affect regardless of the storage media

post #550 of 618 Old 11-18-2012, 10:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post

Cinavia is not a problem if you use legitimated disc. It only affects illegal discs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post

It will affect regardless of the storage media

Haven't you just contradicted yourself? Will a player with cinavia infected firmware play a title that has had its audio track modified via cinavia when played from a server, for example? I've heard conflicting answers on this.

A long-time audio/video addict!
post #551 of 618 Old 11-20-2012, 10:39 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Post deleted.

This line intentionally left blank.
post #552 of 618 Old 11-28-2012, 03:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-town oil View Post

i goto web contentents and select pandora and it kicks me back to the home menu. you tube works fine for me, i just cant even get the pandora to work long enough for me to put my account info in. this may or may not have anything to do with it, but i am able to access pandora by way of my sc-57 receiver, its just a little clunky and was hoping the sc-52 interface was better

hey was wondering did you get pandora to work ..? minds just did the same thing

loves...home theather/music/football:)
post #553 of 618 Old 11-29-2012, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wp746911 View Post

Does it also eject the disc when it locks up? My issue was when I hit "play", the disc would eject and the disc can't be reinserted unit until I unplug the unit.

The solution I stumbled upon was to go in the menu and disable "quick start". Knock on wood, I haven't had to unplug my BDP-53FD in a while. I also noticed that the temperature is also cooler on the top of the unit. I guess quick start kept some heat generating circuits on. Now the cabinent temperature actually matches the ambient room temperature; it used to be warm or slightly hot all the time. Worth a try.
post #554 of 618 Old 12-01-2012, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneertop View Post

hey was wondering did you get pandora to work ..? minds just did the same thing
Will try again and let you know what I come up with. Been awhile since I've tried
post #555 of 618 Old 12-01-2012, 08:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-town oil View Post

Will try again and let you know what I come up with. Been awhile since I've tried

humm.. minds just started..to all on its own ..not sure what happend ...some one said its pandora ..itself ..not the 52...well hope yours work

post #556 of 618 Old 12-08-2012, 08:58 PM

Just bought a BDP-52FD - store demo - tonight at a decent price of $110. Firmware is 2.08. I see that there is new firmware up on Pioneer's site, but from what I am reading the 53FD has gotten more updates. My first reaction to the 52FD is 'no way I am keeping this player'. It won't read some SACD's, I can't get it to change from multi to 2-channel, it won't load one Blu-Ray I tried, the audio output settings don't stay, and it's very slow to respond. I know part of my problem is that my receiver is pretty old. It's a Yamaha RXV-1400, so getting great sound seems to be a issue, and I probably have the audio setup wrong, especially my DVD-A discs. Sounds bad if I play the DVD-Audio layer, much better with the DVD-Video layer playing. My Pioneer 45a does not work anymore so I know how it should sound, but that player has 5.1 analog set-up. So so far not pleased and unsure if I will be taking it back. Will try the newest firmware to see what that does.

Pat
post #557 of 618 Old 12-14-2012, 10:13 AM

Take it back if you can. This product has forever tarnished my opinion of pioneer.
post #558 of 618 Old 12-16-2012, 07:53 PM

I have a BDP-53FD also. I found that I had lots of trouble when I set it up in the recommended way. What's worked for me is setting the BluRay for single HDMI output, connecting it directly to the TV and connecting my home theater receiver to the TV. This is the only setup that works for me. This was after a lot of trial and error, twice bringing my receiver to a technician and 3 returned BDP's.

RMS
post #559 of 618 Old 12-27-2012, 07:50 PM

Well, I still have the 52fd. The latest firmware fixed all the issues I was having. I thought I could access Amazon Prime but I guess you can't? There is only Netflix and a few others. I hooked it up to a Apple Airport Express. Thanks.

Pat
post #560 of 618 Old 01-05-2013, 08:45 PM

I just bought a demo unit today too. Everything is working pretty good. I have a PCM hiss issue that I am working on and I have a question about using a remote.

My 52 did not come with a remote so I am using a AXD7612 that came with my receiver. I have just about everything figured out except for open/close the tray. Any ideas?

* The PCM hiss is all set. Something doesn't like it when the number of surround sound channels don't match the actual number of speakers. Setting the player to HDMI Bitstream instead of PCM took care of it.

I emailed Pioneer about the remote features.

I read through this thread and I am sorry you guys had so many problems. I didn't bite on this player when it was new but now that I could get one so inexpensively, and it has been working great, I am pretty happy with it. Last year I turned my nose up at the 52 because it does not have source direct and it did not make sense to me to get a 53 and buy qdeo twice (I have it in my SC 55).... But the 52/55 combo looks fantastic.

I returned it today and bought a 62. It hicupped a few times and didn't want to take a chance.
post #561 of 618 Old 01-07-2013, 10:57 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Ok, now that I've had this BDP-53FD for awhile, I've come to the conclusion the remote is JUNK! I press buttons and nothing. And then when it finally does work it does it twice and goes to the wrong thing. I've changed the batteries and it still does it. Then, there's no backlight. I can't see a darn thing on it. I hold it down slightly to see in light and then it won't work at all because the idiot that designed it made it recessed on the bottom instead of flush, so you have to hold it at a 45 deg. angle for it to do anything.

Then, it feels cheap. I feel like it's going to twist in half when i use it. The back cover won't stay on, none of the clips are broke and it won't stay on.

You want to know what a nice remote is? I bought a Toshiba HD DVD XA2 recently, the thing is weighted perfect, has a nice backlight, the IR is flush so it works at less than horizontal angles and when I push the buttons, guess what? They work.

Pioneer Elite? Seriously? This is the best remote you could come up with? This old defunct HD DVD remote is ten times better and looks better too. I've got a VSX-53 and the remote is almost identical and it pretty much sucks too. The plastic in these feels like the recycled Blu ray covers. CHEEEAAAPPP!

This line intentionally left blank.
post #562 of 618 Old 01-07-2013, 04:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtastic View Post

Ok, now that I've had this BDP-53FD for awhile, I've come to the conclusion the remote is JUNK! I press buttons and nothing. And then when it finally does work it does it twice and goes to the wrong thing. I've changed the batteries and it still does it. Then, there's no backlight. I can't see a darn thing on it. I hold it down slightly to see in light and then it won't work at all because the idiot that designed it made it recessed on the bottom instead of flush, so you have to hold it at a 45 deg. angle for it to do anything.
Then, it feels cheap. I feel like it's going to twist in half when i use it. The back cover won't stay on, none of the clips are broke and it won't stay on.
You want to know what a nice remote is? I bought a Toshiba HD DVD XA2 recently, the thing is weighted perfect, has a nice backlight, the IR is flush so it works at less than horizontal angles and when I push the buttons, guess what? They work.
Pioneer Elite? Seriously? This is the best remote you could come up with? This old defunct HD DVD remote is ten times better and looks better too. I've got a VSX-53 and the remote is almost identical and it pretty much sucks too. The plastic in these feels like the recycled Blu ray covers. CHEEEAAAPPP!
am with you here..no matter what I try this remote is crap..I point it right at the player and it still don't work.... and yes I have the xa2 as well and it a way better remote than the elite.cool.gif

post #563 of 618 Old 01-25-2013, 06:21 PM

Liked: 11
Greetings,

I picked up an open box BDP-52FD this week, hooked it up and upgraded the firmware to BDP-440_V02.19 without testing DVD-A, SACD, etc. Blu-rays play fine and look better than expected. However, the player will not recognize any other disc format, CD, DVD, etc.

Questions:
1. Has anyone successfully rolled back firmware without bricking the unit?
2. If it is possible to roll back, does anyone have an older firmware, like the v02.08?

I contacted Pioneer and was told no previous firmware files are available. I would really like to check to see if it is a firmware issue before returning. I am happy with both BD and DLNA performance.

Thanks for your time,

RT
post #564 of 618 Old 01-25-2013, 06:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiet66 View Post

Greetings,

I picked up an open box BDP-52FD this week, hooked it up and upgraded the firmware to BDP-440_V02.19 without testing DVD-A, SACD, etc. Blu-rays play fine and look better than expected. However, the player will not recognize any other disc format, CD, DVD, etc.

Questions:
1. Has anyone successfully rolled back firmware without bricking the unit?
2. If it is possible to roll back, does anyone have an older firmware, like the v02.08?

I contacted Pioneer and was told no previous firmware files are available. I would really like to check to see if it is a firmware issue before returning. I am happy with both BD and DLNA performance.

Thanks for your time,

RT
am not sure ..about that firmware for the 440.. but you may have to go to initial set up ,go down to playback, and see what's on..DVD audio/video,then put on auto disc playback. See if that may help

post #565 of 618 Old 01-25-2013, 06:41 PM

It doesn't sound like a firmware issue. The latest version of firmware isn't removing formats.

The laser unit in universal players has to adapt to different disc formats, (BD, CD, DVD, SACD). I once damaged a non-blu-ray universal player by using an "audiophile" CD mat. The mat damaged the laser assembly so that it only played the CD but not the SACD layer of a hybrid disc. The spring that adjusts the laser depth no longer was sound. We're talking microns of difference. Besides the laser, the main board could be fried so that only BD is recognized. It IS essentially a computer in there.

If it is only recognizes blu-ray but no other disc, I'd return it.

I think you'd have a tough time rolling back the firmware, with a good chance that even if you could it wouldn't be the problem.
post #566 of 618 Old 01-25-2013, 07:26 PM

I appreciate the responses. I will return the unit. I typically don't buy open box items with moving parts but for $70 bucks I thought I would give it a shot.
post #567 of 618 Old 01-25-2013, 07:26 PM

I appreciate the responses. I will return the unit. I typically don't buy open box items with moving parts but for $70 bucks I thought I would give it a shot.
post #568 of 618 Old 01-25-2013, 07:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiet66 View Post

yeah ..I think you should ..it happened to a Friend.. of mind to ..Bb..are getting rid of there demo units..to make room for the 62,s. But these unit have issues....

post #569 of 618 Old 02-13-2013, 10:23 PM

Hi All,

I recently got the 52. I have been going bonkers over here trying to the PQLS function to work with with my SC-57.

Anyone have any luck getting it to work, reading back it seemed like this was an issue other people were having as well.

I have tried numerous HDMI cables, bitstream or PCM, Control ON and OFF. Factory Reset. Still can't get it to light up on either side.
post #570 of 618 Old 02-14-2013, 05:45 AM

I've had no issues with pqls. Should be as simple as turning hdmi control in both receiver and bluray player on..
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Pioneer , Pioneer Elite , Blu Ray Players , Bdp 52fd , Pioneer Elite Bdp 53fd

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page