2Likes

Old 10-24-2011, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Tim,

I couldn't get the CD layer to play on any of my SACDs....very strange.

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2011, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm not knowledgeable about all the different specs on BR players, but I do need dual HDMI for 3D to a non-3D AVR and would like SACD and DVD-A playback.

Fast loading and start-up is good too but more like "not so very slow".

So there are lots of unknowns about this new 53.

Is there anything in the specs alone that the 53 offers that is superior vs the Oppo 93 (or vice versa)?

I haven't owned a single Pioneer product. What is the general reputation of the company with regards to support, bug fixes, firmware updates? I have read that Oppo has a stellar reputation.

Thanks for any guidance.
Old 10-26-2011, 05:41 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjgarrison View Post

... Is there anything in the specs alone that the 53 offers that is superior vs the Oppo 93 (or vice versa)? ...

The Oppos have a built-in HDCD decoder. The Pioneers don't.
The Oppos have more buttons on the player itself.
The Pioneers have PQLS (only usable with a Pioneer receiver).
Old 10-26-2011, 09:15 AM

Tried some more titles last night.

4. On both disc one and two of Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of the War of the Worlds (SACD 2-CH and M-CH), I was able to switch between the two tracks.

5. I also tried the Varese Sarabande SACD Hybrid of Star Trek Nemesis and I could select both the 2-CH and M-CH SACD mixes, but I was unable to select and play the CD layer.

Thanks to those of you that have followed up on this. I let our regional distributor know about this yesterday, so I hope to get feedback from them soon.

How have the rest of you been doing with your SACD selections?

Tim Balvanz
Old 10-26-2011, 10:14 AM

Well, I have a question regarding the new LX-55/53fd bluray player, maybe an owner can help me..
Does anyone know, if it will be able to play external .srt subtitles from its usb port?
Not only for mkvs but for blu-ray disks as well.. (Just like the Oppo93)?
Old 10-26-2011, 09:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drSeehas View Post

The Oppos have a built-in HDCD decoder. The Pioneers don't.
The Oppos have more buttons on the player itself.
The Pioneers have PQLS (only usable with a Pioneer receiver).

Thank you.
Old 10-27-2011, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjgarrison View Post

Thank you.

Oh, I forgot:
The Oppos have a 7.1 analog output, the Pioneers only 2.0.
Old 10-27-2011, 04:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 25
The BDP-53FD specificly mensions the multi-layered chassis and drive stablizer technology. This supposedly makes the player immuned to external vibration, and possibly makes the disc mechanism quieter. The Oppo doesn't mension things like that.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Set HDMI AUDIO to PCM. Set 1080p/24Hz to off. Try enabling, then disabling HDMI control on all devices just for this experament. Try the stereo portion and the multi-channel portion. Use different combinations of settings as I described. I'd do it, but I already sent the player back. Thanks for trying.
Old 10-30-2011, 03:13 PM
Advanced Member

Sorry for being behind on the times, but how do these things compare to the 09-FD? There is no product spec on their website and they look like little entry level players you see at Walmart or Target.

Is all the 09-FD Separate Analog Audio BoardSeparate Analog Power Supply, Separate Digital Power Supply, Toroidal Transformer, Separate Video Board, DAC, body construction, etc of the 09-FD just gimmick?
Old 10-30-2011, 05:47 PM

I just picked up a BDP-52FD from a local store and am having a pretty serious issue. The player seems to work fine as long as the network cable is not plugged in. Once it is plugged it the player responds to commands for just a short while then it freezes up. Any button on the remote or front panel does nothing and I have to physically pull the power cable out on the back of the player.

I know the network connection works as I was previously using it on a Western Digital WD TV Live. I bought this player to replace an older Blu Ray player and the WD TV and so far it is looking like it will have to be returned. I left it on for several hours (thinking it might be scanning the home network for DLNA servers) to no avail. Has anyone else had this issue and found a fix for it?
Old 10-30-2011, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stollen View Post

I just picked up a BDP-52FD from a local store and am having a pretty serious issue. The player seems to work fine as long as the network cable is not plugged in. Once it is plugged it the player responds to commands for just a short while then it freezes up. Any button on the remote or front panel does nothing and I have to physically pull the power cable out on the back of the player.

I know the network connection works as I was previously using it on a Western Digital WD TV Live. I bought this player to replace an older Blu Ray player and the WD TV and so far it is looking like it will have to be returned. I left it on for several hours (thinking it might be scanning the home network for DLNA servers) to no avail. Has anyone else had this issue and found a fix for it?

Someone else I believe had this issue the other day. Check the other thread for all the new Pioneer players. I think that person contacted Pioneer and they are aware of the issue. Not sure if there is a fix for it yet.

Go Celtics!
Old 10-30-2011, 08:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTMan34 View Post

Someone else I believe had this issue the other day. Check the other thread for all the new Pioneer players. I think that person contacted Pioneer and they are aware of the issue. Not sure if there is a fix for it yet.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post21138250

Quote:
Originally Posted by jleholeho View Post

this is the answer from Pio EU to my VSX-1120 occassional and sudden drop-outs problem:

"My name is Roel Donckers, I'm technical support engineer for Pioneer
Europe. Sorry to hear that you are suffering from this problem.

Ever since we received the first signs of this problem from customers in
Europe, we started investigating this. It's been a month already, but so
far we just managed to get a setup in our technical lab which has this
problem as well. Unfortunatly, it only resets approximatly 1 time in a
week. This slows down our investigation dramatically.

So far, we've found out that this problem seems to be triggered when both
AV receiver and Blu-ray player are connected to the same LAN network and
connected with HDMI (Control on/off). Disconnecting 1 lan cable seems, or
connecting AV receiver and blu-ray players in seperated networks (where
they can't see each other) seem to eliminate this problem totally.

I'm sorry that we don't have all the information yet and we can't provide
an answer, but you could help us in this investigation by confirming some
things. (We need 2 weeks to confirm whether a setting makes any
difference).

If you reconnect the LAN cable to the BDP-440 and set the BDP-440 setting:
"Network - DLNA "Disable"", does the dropouts still occur then?
"

strange, isn´t it?
immediately disconnecting LAN from the BDP-440 two days ago however did help...VSX-1120 acts normally as before

this could be a similar problem

the BDP-440 and BDP-52fd are essentially the same thing - do you have a pioneer receiver on the network?

i'd try disabling DLNA in the player and see what happens - pioneer europe seems to suspect that might be the issue
Old 10-31-2011, 06:52 AM

Thanks for the help so far!

Quote:
Originally Posted by purdyd View Post

>

this could be a similar problem

the BDP-440 and BDP-52fd are essentially the same thing - do you have a pioneer receiver on the network?

i'd try disabling DLNA in the player and see what happens - pioneer europe seems to suspect that might be the issue

I don't have a pioneer receiver on the network, but there is plenty of other "stuff" on there. 3 computers (one of them is the Windows Home Server), 5 Sonos players, a couple iPhones, an iPad....

I did a little playing around before leaving for work this morning and disabled DLNA on the player and it seemed to fix the freezing issue, but now is there any way to access files from the server? I rip all my blu ray's off onto the server for ease of use and if I can't get to them with this player I might have to continue my search for one that can unfortunately.
Old 10-31-2011, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Stollen,

Can you get on the Internet with the player?

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

Old 10-31-2011, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post

Stollen,

Can you get on the Internet with the player?

It doesn't look like it. I get the icon on the top right of the screen at startup that has a green check mark on it so it seems like it is getting connected (or at least gets an IP address from my router), but the connection test results in a "Network is FAILED" error after about 45 seconds which I assume is a timeout issue.
Old 11-02-2011, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 31
While discussions about this player of late have targeted some regional corporate miscommunication about the frequency at which mch sacds can be played, I have quietly owned this player for about a month. Without hesitation, I recommend this player, although I would like to see it priced a bit more competitively. $400 remains a premium in a blu ray market where $150 street-priced sonys offer streaming features galore, 3D playback, integrated wifi, and SACD playback. Just imagine the cost of that featureset two years ago?

The 52 has impressed me over the past four weeks or. It's fast, loads well, and seems to have a slightly less mediatek bugginess to it than the Yamaha BD-S667 (which I also like). The drive mechanism is a bit grindy here and there (like the Yamaha), but overall the performance has been excellent.

It does not have the featureset of the oppo bdp-93 for just $100 more, but is a great all around player and would not hesitate to get one - especially if you find one on sale.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

While discussions about this player of late have targeted some regional corporate miscommunication about the frequency at which mch sacds can be played, I have quietly owned this player for about a month. Without hesitation, I recommend this player, although I would like to see it priced a bit more competitively. $400 remains a premium in a blu ray market where $150 street-priced sonys offer streaming features galore, 3D playback, integrated wifi, and SACD playback. Just imagine the cost of that featureset two years ago?

The 52 has impressed me over the past four weeks or. It's fast, loads well, and seems to have a slightly less mediatek bugginess to it than the Yamaha BD-S667 (which I also like). The drive mechanism is a bit grindy here and there (like the Yamaha), but overall the performance has been excellent.

It does not have the featureset of the oppo bdp-93 for just $100 more, but is a great all around player and would not hesitate to get one - especially if you find one on sale.

Are you going to at least audition the BDP-53FD? Also, according to walkamo, if you want SACDs converted to PCM at 176.4 KHz, for now, set your player's HDMI AUDIO for bitstreaming. set your Pioneer receiver to PURE DIRECT mode and play the two channel layer.
I'm hoping that the BDP-53FD might address the SACD multi-channel issue, but walkamo doesn't think it will. But it hasn't hit the shelves yet. So I'm going to hold out hope.
Old 11-07-2011, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big C View Post

Are you going to at least audition the BDP-53FD? Also, according to walkamo, if you want SACDs converted to PCM at 176.4 KHz, for now, set your player's HDMI AUDIO for bitstreaming. set your Pioneer receiver to PURE DIRECT mode and play the two channel layer.
I'm hoping that the BDP-53FD might address the SACD multi-channel issue, but walkamo doesn't think it will. But it hasn't hit the shelves yet. So I'm going to hold out hope.

A little disappointing that we won't get 176.4, but I think I will still pick one up. Currently running a DV-58AV. Considering the Oppo as well, but not quite sure which direction I will go yet.

Though I am an employee of Magnolia Home Theater, the views and opinions I express on this forum are those of my own and not my employer.
Old 11-08-2011, 03:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speakerphile View Post

A little disappointing that we won't get 176.4, but I think I will still pick one up. Currently running a DV-58AV. Considering the Oppo as well, but not quite sure which direction I will go yet.

After the man who handles product planning for Pioneer USA, Chris Walker (walkamo here at AVS), talked to Japan, the European press release no longer mensions 176.4 KHz PCM output for SACD playback. If this was the first time I read the press release, I would immediately get one of these players because it uses the latest version of the MediaTek solution, the MT8555. I believe that the brain of a player is everything, just like the processor in a PC. This insures quick load times, good responsiveness, and as wide a compatibility of disc formats and file types as possible. If you have a Pioneer receiver from 2009 or later, you can take advantage of multi-channel PQLS, if you believe in the devil's sin of audio jitter. I turned PQLS on and off and I heard a subtle difference, which is convincing enough for me.
Old 11-08-2011, 06:38 AM

I am curious about this Pioneer player.

Does it allow streaming from a computer?

Does it play mkv files?
Old 11-10-2011, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos Martinez View Post

I am curious about this Pioneer player.

Does it allow streaming from a computer?

Does it play mkv files?

It didn't for me (BDP-52FD anyway). A few seconds after I plugged in the network cable it would lock up. I disabled DLNA on it and that prevented the unit from locking up, but then there was no streaming ability and I still could not get to other internet features such as YouTube or Netflix. Mine went back to the store.
Old 11-10-2011, 08:51 PM

I just wanted to make sure that nobody wasted their time with this disc. It is actually just a standard CD. I was mistaken. I apologize for any inconvenience I may have cause concerning this particular disc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yhtomitb View Post

<<<<<2. I also tried with the new remixed version of The Ultimate Tubular Bells. This has CD, SACD 2-CH and SACD MCH. I only ever get the CD layer in 2-Channels. It will not play either SACD layer.>>>>> This is not correct. Disc is actually a standard CD. Ignore this point. TBTim Balvanz

Old 11-11-2011, 07:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Pioneer US's direct sales is now shipping the BDP-53FD. I ordered mine today. I requested faster shipping and am expecting it to arive no later than Wednesday. Winston, are you going to at least audition and review the BDP-53FD? I have a feeling that its disc mechanism might be a little quieter than the one on the BDP-52FD, and with the Pure Audio mode, that also gives me a feeling that something will be improved regarding the HDMI audio section.
Old 11-12-2011, 11:34 AM

Quote:

... with the Pure Audio mode, that also gives me a feeling that something will be improved regarding the HDMI audio section.

Again: Why gives you the Pure Audio mode still a feeling that something will be improved regarding the HDMI audio section?
Haven't you read the posts about this topic in the other thread?
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1335651
Old 11-12-2011, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Again: Why gives you the Pure Audio mode still a feeling that something will be improved regarding the HDMI audio section?
Haven't you read the posts about this topic in the other thread?
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1335651

I've excepted the fact that these players don't convert DSD to 176.4 KHz PCM and that the press release was an error. If this was the first time I read the revised press release, I still would have sprung for the 53 because of its disc drive stablizer and Marvell video processing. On the other hand, I'm still wondering where the idea came from that these players can convert DSD to 176.4 KHz PCM! I'm still thinking that there is even the tiniest chance that by setting the BDP-53FD to Pure Audio mode that I might get DSD as multi-channel PCM at 176.4 KHz. I know it's just wishful thinking, but I can't help it. However, considering everything else the player can do, I'll move on once I discover that even the 53 is capable of DSD-to-PCM conversion no higher than 88.2 KHz.
Old 11-13-2011, 01:09 AM

Quote:

I've excepted the fact that these players don't convert DSD to 176.4 KHz PCM and that the press release was an error.

This means: No improvement of the HDMI audio section.
Quote:

... I still would have sprung for the 53 because of its disc drive stablizer and Marvell video processing.

This is undoubted but unrelated to the Pure Audio mode.
Quote:

... I'm still wondering where the idea came from that these players can convert DSD to 176.4 KHz PCM!

Ask Pioneer! It came from their press release.
I am not struck, because my AVR can accept DSD. It was just an information for people with AVRs not accepting DSD and therefore relying on Pioneers press release.
Old 11-13-2011, 04:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This means: No improvement of the HDMI audio section.
This is undoubted but unrelated to the Pure Audio mode.
Ask Pioneer! It came from their press release.
I am not struck, because my AVR can accept DSD. It was just an information for people with AVRs not accepting DSD and therfore relying on Pioneers press release.

I know it came from the press release. I'm trying to say that whoever wrote the original press release must have tested one of the players when it was in development or something like that. I'm thinking that the DSD-to-PCM at 176.4 KHz might be a BDP-53FD exclusive, like FLAC support.
Old 11-13-2011, 09:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:

I know it came from the press release. I'm trying to say that whoever wrote the original press release must have tested one of the players when it was in development or something like that. I'm thinking that the DSD-to-PCM at 176.4 KHz might be a BDP-53FD exclusive, like FLAC support.

that is possible as it was implied also from the euro press release that flac was supported in the 440 and it turns out it is only in the lx55/53fd (officially)

there is also the little statement in all spec sheets for every company, specifications subject to change without notice - i doubt whoever wrote the press release actually tested one of the players btw

IF this feature is in the 53fd it will be because it is a more expensive model and pioneer wishes to differentiate it from their other BD players and to be more competitive with sony/yamaha players - NOT because it has a second hdmi port
Old 11-13-2011, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purdyd View Post

... IF this feature is in the 53FD it will be because it is a more expensive model and Pioneer wishes to differentiate it from their other BD players and to be more competitive with Sony/Yamaha players - NOT because it has a second HDMI port

+1

The forum software first translates every uppercase letter to its lowercase counterpart. Why?

Tags
Pioneer , Pioneer Elite , Blu Ray Players , Bdp 52fd , Pioneer Elite Bdp 53fd