Pioneer Elite BDP-52FD and BDP-53FD Owners' Thread - Page 9 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #241 of 604 Old 01-03-2012, 10:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
@ Vonbek777

Thanks for the timely reply. I believe you pretty much hit the nail on the head. Until the companies do get this sorted, I'll likely buy a Panny or other less expensive model to get by with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 604 Old 01-03-2012, 03:53 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is there anyway to set this player so that it outputs audio to PCM when playing an SACD/DVD-A, and to Bit-Steam when playing a blu-ray?

It's kind of frustrating having to switch between the two.
post #243 of 604 Old 01-04-2012, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mywhitenoise View Post

... it outputs audio to PCM when playing an SACD/DVD-A, ...

???
DVD-Audio output is always PCM. There is no bitstream DVD-Audio.
Do you mean the optional video part of a DVD-Audio or DVD-Video at all?
post #244 of 604 Old 01-04-2012, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drSeehas View Post

???
DVD-Audio output is always PCM. There is no bitstream DVD-Audio.
Do you mean the optional video part of a DVD-Audio or DVD-Video at all?

Dude, you need to reread what I wrote.
post #245 of 604 Old 01-04-2012, 07:30 AM

Quote:

Dude, you need to reread what I wrote.

I did, but whatever you set the output mode (bitstream or PCM) you will always get PCM from a DVD-Audio. The mention of DVD-Audio in this case is therefore superfluous.
post #246 of 604 Old 01-04-2012, 02:12 PM

Quote:

I did, but whatever you set the output mode (bitstream or PCM) you will always get PCM from a DVD-Audio. The mention of DVD-Audio in this case is therefore superfluous.

After reading this entire thread once again, I have come to the conclusion that I have encountered a glitch.

I received the 53FD yesterday, and immediately set it so that the HDMI audio output was "bitstream"...which worked fine on the blu-ray I tested. However, when "bitstream" was set for HDMI audio out, DVD's, and SACDs, were NOT sending signals to my rear (and sometimes front) speakers.
Earlier in this thread, someone posted that they tried listening to "Brothers in Arms" SACD, but that it was mixing the channels up. After messing around with it, he eventually got it to play properly.

Am I to assume my player is experiencing a glitch? Should setting the HDMI out to "bitstream" cause any problems listening to multichannel SACDs? A firmware update better be in the works.
post #247 of 604 Old 01-04-2012, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrlnc View Post

No, I'm using it to play SACDs bit streamed as DSD through HDMI.
My receiver can handle that.

I did a lot of testing tonight:
  • I swapped out the HDMI cable
  • I swapped HDMI inputs on the receiver
  • I disconnected ethernet
  • I turned off all HDMI CEC due to problems it causes with remotes
  • I tried it on several multi-channel discs
  • I parallel tested this with my Oppo player

In all cases I used the Oppo with the Elite's cable and HDMI input. It never exhibited the problems of the Pioneer.

An interesting thing to note is that sometimes when I would swap out a cable or input, when I first powered on the Pioneer the sound would be fine. But after putting in a third or fourth disc, the Surr Rt channel would be silent. I also got some strange dropout on a particular disc in the same place that the Oppo would never get. I noticed that at that time mark the HDMI sync light would go out and I'd get about a 2 sec dropout. Always in the same spot in that song.

Anyway, if it weren't for the audio problems, I could live with its other issues until Pioneer gets a firmware fix out.

I wish I could just buy a product that works. I've upgraded my subwoofer and receiver as well. I'm not up to doing all this beta-testing.

This is exactly the same problem I'm having!

Not only that, but Dark Side of the Moon played the first time I tested it, and now it's reading it as an "Unknown Disc". Nine Inch Nails' The Downward Spiral is having the same problem.

How in the hell did Pioneer get away with shoving this product out the door without doing some quality control on it first?
post #248 of 604 Old 01-05-2012, 12:16 AM

Quote:

After reading this entire thread once again, I have come to the conclusion that I have encountered a glitch.

I received the 53FD yesterday, and immediately set it so that the HDMI audio output was "bitstream"...which worked fine on the blu-ray I tested. However, when "bitstream" was set for HDMI audio out, DVD's, and SACDs, were NOT sending signals to my rear (and sometimes front) speakers.
Earlier in this thread, someone posted that they tried listening to "Brothers in Arms" SACD, but that it was mixing the channels up. After messing around with it, he eventually got it to play properly.

Am I to assume my player is experiencing a glitch? Should setting the HDMI out to "bitstream" cause any problems listening to multichannel SACDs? A firmware update better be in the works.

All this relates to my post about DVD-Audio how?
post #249 of 604 Old 01-05-2012, 08:26 AM

Quote:

All this relates to my post about DVD-Audio how?

Because when I play a DVD-A through "bitstream" it screws up the channels? What exactly are you not understanding?
post #250 of 604 Old 01-05-2012, 08:33 AM

Quote:

Because when I play a DVD-A through "bitstream" it screws up the channels? ...

Then your player is faulty. Replace it!
post #251 of 604 Old 01-05-2012, 09:24 AM

Quote:

Then your player is faulty. Replace it!

Do you even own this player? I haven't seen one post in this entire thread that implies you own one.

This seems like a widespread issue, it's not just MY player that's "faulty".
post #252 of 604 Old 01-05-2012, 11:51 AM

Quote:

Do you even own this player? ...

No. But I had a BDP-440.
Quote:

... This seems like a widespread issue, it's not just MY player that's "faulty".

As a already wrote: If a player is "faulty" or if a player dowsn't meet your expectations, replace it. Your decision. I did it already.
post #253 of 604 Old 01-05-2012, 01:08 PM

Hi All,,,I've had the BDP-53pf with SC-57 just before Christmas... and has been suffer from the audio drop and lip sync issue (Bluray and DVDs.. ironman2..etc).. it looks I fixed the issue! Keep the HDMI control "on" with the BDP-53,, but "Off" with the projector/TV, for the SC-57, for the HDMI control - turn on "PQLS only".. I have that setup and watch 2 Bluray and 1DVD title, so far so good.... The symptom before was audio drop every 1min or so for sub-second
With the fix,,, now I can said,, the setup is worth the $$.. Excellent picture with very good audio. I bi-amp the front channel. my setup is with all B&W. CDM9nt front, CDM-C center, CMD-NT for the back and side. and a B&W Sub.
I upgrade from a Denon 3808 with dedicated power amp driving the front channels, PS3 as source.. I tested to use the BDP53 with the Denon setup, I can immediately see BIG improvement on picture quality, also..the sound of CDs way more sweet !. With the SC57,, things even better.. I nolonger need the external power amp to make my CDM9NT happy..

Yes,, I miss the OSD,,, but the ipad application did makeup that. also the MCAAC is for the customization perspective.
post #254 of 604 Old 01-05-2012, 11:31 PM

Liked: 11
I've been living with my 52fd for about 3 months now. After unplugging my SC-35's network cable to keep the 52fd from powering it off randomly I have to say I'm pretty happy with the unit. Not really happy about the power off receiver bug, but at least the work around is ok. (I wasn't using any of the networked features of the SC-35 anyway).

The load times for dvds and blurays far exceed my previous Samsung player. The picture quality is excellent. The audio quality is also.

With modern audio equipment becoming more computer and less hard wired I somewhat expect bugs. Could the QA have been better...yes. Do I expect the QA to be better on an Elite Pioneer product...absolutely.

However, all these new players have bugs. The one I encountered is definitely on the more obscure side.

Some of the others I've seen posted not so much. I only have a few SACDs which work ok. I'd be pretty upset if older disks I owned didn't work. No excuse for that.

I've been a Pioneer fanboy since I was 18 (which means over 25 years). I almost didn't buy a new Pioneer receiver...was seriously considering an Emotiva + amp...really glad I didn't now. Love my SC-35. s

For those Pioneer fans out there watching this thread, I have to believe they will do right and fix these bugs. They all seem like firmware type issues. If they don't, well, I'll be disappointed and go elsewhere for my hardware. But, I think they are smarter than that.
post #255 of 604 Old 01-06-2012, 01:04 PM

I stepped away from the thread a bit. Coming back, and reading some new posts, I decided to change my Audio and HDMI Audio Settings to PCM. I then played DS BIA and all channel output for 5.1 SACD was corrected. Now, because the SC37 is processing the signal as PCM, the question becomes, am I really receiving the 5.1 SACD signal? And why would PCM and Bitstream not manage channel separation the same? Additionally, since setting up the new mediad server, the 53fd cannot see any media, although the server and other clients sharing media are recognized. Have a great weekend
post #256 of 604 Old 01-08-2012, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Was considering the BDP-53 over an Oppo BDP-93, now not so sure? Convince me otherwise.

I really love my Elite BDP-05FD
post #257 of 604 Old 01-08-2012, 03:41 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastD View Post

Was considering the BDP-53 over an Oppo BDP-93, now not so sure? Convince me otherwise.

I really love my Elite BDP-05FD

Sorr, meant BDP-93

Search or copy and paste-> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com <-to check out my latest Reviews.

Check out these new Lighted Cup Holders:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1402680301175
post #258 of 604 Old 01-08-2012, 10:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

Sorr, meant BDP-93

well, I just ordered an Oppo BDP-93 tonight, excited!

Hey Joe, I noticed you have a Halo A51 in your set-up now? I've been using one for a few years now, absolutely killer amp.
post #259 of 604 Old 01-11-2012, 01:47 AM

After asking advice on whether to go Oppo or not, I decided to get an inexpensive streaming player/TV combo to bide my time.
Grabbed a 43" Samsung plasma for a killer price and a 5700 BluRay player for close to half over Christmas. Both work seamlessly atm and were a breeze to set-up.
I figure for the price I paid it can get me through a year or two until some more of the bugs are ironed out of all the higher end streaming TVs/players.
I'm actually quite impressed with the Samsung's quality regardless of the price as it's played every file/format thrown at it. It even works with a SATA external 2TB HDD in the USB port if I don't want to stream from the computer

I hope Pioneer stays in the market and keeps up with or surpasses Oppo (now that they're out of the TV business).
post #260 of 604 Old 01-11-2012, 11:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellenback View Post

After asking advice on whether to go Oppo or not, I decided to get an inexpensive streaming player/TV combo to bide my time.
Grabbed a 43" Samsung plasma for a killer price and a 5700 BluRay player for close to half over Christmas. Both work seamlessly atm and were a breeze to set-up.
I figure for the price I paid it can get me through a year or two until some more of the bugs are ironed out of all the higher end streaming TVs/players.
I'm actually quite impressed with the Samsung's quality regardless of the price as it's played every file/format thrown at it. It even works with a SATA external 2TB HDD in the USB port if I don't want to stream from the computer

I hope Pioneer stays in the market and keeps up with or surpasses Oppo (now that they're out of the TV business).

Well I bit the bullet and bought the oppo bdp93
post #261 of 604 Old 01-11-2012, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purdyd View Post

Well I bit the bullet and bought the oppo bdp93

Can you guys focus on talking about the Pioneer players, and not the Oppo's you guys decided to buy/prefer?
post #262 of 604 Old 01-11-2012, 07:10 PM

I thought they were talking about the Pioneer players ?

They were talking about their decision not to buy one...
And, from what I've read here, I'm not totally surprised.
post #263 of 604 Old 01-12-2012, 02:21 AM

Quote:

Can you guys focus on talking about the Pioneer players, and not the Oppo's you guys decided to buy/prefer?

No problem; I still have a 563a, 59avi and a 58AV (and sold a great condition 578a). After much waiting, searching and thought, it just didn't seem wise at this time to spend the same on a new Pioneer BluRay player as for a new TV and a BluRay player (I don't care about 3D)

When the bugs are gone I'll bite.

No intent to thread jack...just an alternate view for those on the fence with limited funds.
post #264 of 604 Old 01-12-2012, 06:47 AM

If you buy the 53fd at msrp....then perhaps...but there are some great deals out there, the price I paid was, even with the couple of bugs, a steal compared to the Oppo. So I am happy with the financial side of my purchase at least. Honestly, I have used the player extensively now...and I am happy. PQ is excellent. Music sounds great. The problems I am having are disc recognition for a very few sacds and a couple of ancient cds. Only one blu-ray issue so far. And some annoying remote issues I have largely fixed with my harmony remote and turning off autoplay. As it is now, I do not regret my purchase at all and if we get some firmware updates, I'll be very happy. This is coming from a 05fd, 23fd, and two Sony CX960s owner. I'm still in awe at how fast everything loads now considering what I'm used too. I'm just starting to play around with the networking features, but with minimum effort last night my player connected and streamed several of the Christmas movies we made over the holidays...so at least so far, that works. Still no go on my 2TB external usb drive connected directly though. But cds sound so much better than wavs anyway...not sure I care right now. More of my two cents.
post #265 of 604 Old 01-12-2012, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vonbek777 View Post

If you buy the 53fd at msrp....then perhaps...but there are some great deals out there, the price I paid was, even with the couple of bugs, a steal compared to the Oppo. So I am happy with the financial side of my purchase at least. Honestly, I have used the player extensively now...and I am happy. PQ is excellent. Music sounds great. The problems I am having are disc recognition for a very few sacds and a couple of ancient cds. Only one blu-ray issue so far. And some annoying remote issues I have largely fixed with my harmony remote and turning off autoplay. As it is now, I do not regret my purchase at all and if we get some firmware updates, I'll be very happy. This is coming from a 05fd, 23fd, and two Sony CX960s owner. I'm still in awe at how fast everything loads now considering what I'm used too. I'm just starting to play around with the networking features, but with minimum effort last night my player connected and streamed several of the Christmas movies we made over the holidays...so at least so far, that works. Still no go on my 2TB external usb drive connected directly though. But cds sound so much better than wavs anyway...not sure I care right now. More of my two cents.

Do you have any trouble playing multi-channel SACDs when the HDMI Audio Out is set to "bitstream"?
post #266 of 604 Old 01-12-2012, 12:27 PM

Quote:

Do you have any trouble playing multi-channel SACDs when the HDMI Audio Out is set to "bitstream"?

Yes
post #267 of 604 Old 01-12-2012, 01:04 PM

I have been primarily listening to stereo sacds. I just dug one of my multi channel ones out and there is definitely something up with the rear channels. I will mess around tonight with pcm vs bitstream and see if I can determine what is up...I have played a few classical sacds and hadn't noticed a problem though, so I wonder if it is only certain discs? Will test out more and report back. This seems like a weird bug...but aren't they all!
post #268 of 604 Old 01-13-2012, 12:44 AM

Quote:

Does anyone except mywhitenoise have any trouble playing multi-channel DVD-Audios when the HDMI Audio Out is set to "bitstream"?
post #269 of 604 Old 01-13-2012, 09:20 AM

Quote:

Does anyone except mywhitenoise have any trouble playing multi-channel DVD-Audios when the HDMI Audio Out is set to "bitstream"?

I will test today and respond with titles played. Anything specific you are looking for?
post #270 of 604 Old 01-13-2012, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noklew View Post

I will test today and respond with titles played.

Thank you.
Quote:

Anything specific you are looking for?

Ask mywhitenoise! S/he claims it:
Quote:

... when "bitstream" was set for HDMI audio out, DVD[-Audio]s, and SACDs, were NOT sending signals to my rear (and sometimes front) speakers.

In Europe we have the LX55 model and this problem couldn't replicated for DVD-Audios.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Pioneer , Pioneer Elite , Blu Ray Players , Bdp 52fd , Pioneer Elite Bdp 53fd

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page