2Likes

post #1 of 618 Old 10-03-2011, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Attachment 224421

After two disappointing years of re-badged Sharp Products (BDP-31/33 and BDP-41/43), Pioneer has released a Mediatek (8555) chipped design that offers excellent deinterlacing and cadence recognition in synthetic and realworld tests. The 53FD offers additional video processing via Marvell's Qdeo chipset also used in most mid to upper level Pioneer and Pioneer Elite receivers.
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 618 Old 10-03-2011, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Reserved for FW Tracking and Bugs
post #3 of 618 Old 10-03-2011, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Reserved for Reviews
post #4 of 618 Old 10-05-2011, 12:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Although alternatives are always good, the question I'd like you to answer winston in your testing is:

* what non-ipod/non-iphone features does this unit offer that the Oppo BDP-93/95 does not, as we know some features have been lost such as source direct... not to mention implementation of cinavia and analog sunset. I am truly curious if there are any core features Pioneer has included here that Oppo did not, or perhaps DLNA functionality?

I like the fact that Pioneer has competitively priced the player with the Oppo, and the styling looks good. It gives a good alternative that you can actually buy in a store as opposed to online only.
post #5 of 618 Old 10-14-2011, 10:21 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Winston - What made you get this instead of waiting for the 53FD?
post #6 of 618 Old 10-14-2011, 04:05 PM

Liked: 11
The store I work at recently received the SC-57 and BDP-52FD. We have them hooked up to the new 70" Elite display. So far, I am very impressed with all the pieces here.

One of the problems I am having is with the SACD playback. I have tried 2-Channel SACD discs and they play just fine in the DSD format. Another disc I tried has both 2-Channel and 5.1 offerings, and I am unable to switch to the 5.1 tracks. Lastly, on a Hybrid disc, I can only get the CD layer to play. I can't get the player to switch to either the 2-Channel or 5.1 channel SACD layer tracks.

Does anyone have any good advice?

Thanks in advance.
post #7 of 618 Old 10-16-2011, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 25
So I guess I'll have to visit this thread as well in order to stay posted, as well as keep you guys posted. So ... here I am enjoying every minute of it!
post #8 of 618 Old 10-16-2011, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yhtomitb View Post

The store I work at recently received the SC-57 and BDP-52FD. We have them hooked up to the new 70" Elite display. So far, I am very impressed with all the pieces here.

One of the problems I am having is with the SACD playback. I have tried 2-Channel SACD discs and they play just fine in the DSD format. Another disc I tried has both 2-Channel and 5.1 offerings, and I am unable to switch to the 5.1 tracks. Lastly, on a Hybrid disc, I can only get the CD layer to play. I can't get the player to switch to either the 2-Channel or 5.1 channel SACD layer tracks.

Does anyone have any good advice?

Thanks in advance.

I don't have this Pioneer model but I've owned and still do a couple of their past Elite units. Seems like Pioneer still doesn't provide the functionality to allow the user to switch audio tracks during playback.

To switch between a 2 channel and 5.1 channel you may have to enter the initial set up and select the default track for SACD (2.0 or 5.1). And to switch to the other track you enter the setup again. That is how it works on my 59AVI and 48AV. I hope this helps.
post #9 of 618 Old 10-16-2011, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KramerTC View Post

I don't have this Pioneer model but I've owned and still do a couple of their past Elite units. Seems like Pioneer still doesn't provide the functionality to allow the user to switch audio tracks during playback.

To switch between a 2 channel and 5.1 channel you may have to enter the initial set up and select the default track for SACD (2.0 or 5.1). And to switch to the other track you enter the setup again. That is how it works on my 59AVI and 48AV. I hope this helps.

Thanks for the suggestion. However, I have the DV-58AV, which is a pumped up DV-48AV. I also have the new BDP-52FD. Unfortunately, there is no option like that in the BDP-52FD's setup menus. Yet even with these bugs, I still think it's one of the best digital transports we've got at this time, so I'll continue to love mine and recommend it.
post #10 of 618 Old 10-18-2011, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maison View Post

Winston - What made you get this instead of waiting for the 53FD?

deinterlacing is excellent as is speed with fast start turned on.

i rely on my display and receiver for video processing

53 is not out yet
post #11 of 618 Old 10-19-2011, 04:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

deinterlacing is excellent as is speed with fast start turned on.

i rely on my display and receiver for video processing

53 is not out yet

Of course, if I get my hands on the manual for the BDP-53FD and it turns out that some of my complaints about the BDP-52FD have been addressed, I'll have to somehow upgrade to the 53. In the event that the 53 is released after the 30-day limit, I guess I'll be selling my 52 on ebay or something.
post #12 of 618 Old 10-21-2011, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm returning my BDP-52FD to Pioneer and am going to purchase the BDP-53FD when it's released. I shall give my SACD as 176.4 KHz PCM issue a rest. If the BDP-53FD doesn't have that capability, then I shall continue persuing it.
post #13 of 618 Old 10-21-2011, 10:15 PM

Just picked up a 52fd yesterday at BB.

I haven't upgraded my player in about 3 years and it was time. Looking for a good universal player to go with the VSX-53 I was purchasing as well (upgrade from a 4 year old 92-txh). By the way I received a BPD-41FD for free and will be putting it in the bedroom (it'll make a great Netflix box and upgrade to the blu-ray there as well).

Well, first impressions are good, the blu ray playback is excellent as would be expected to my Pioneer PDP and through the Epson 8310 projector. DVD-Audio works as expected through HDMI as well.

Here's where it get dicey. It appears that SACD multi channel is not supported in this player through HDMI. I used multiple SACD multi channel discs to test this out and the 52fd only plays the two channel track. I tried setting it to PCM and bitstream and all the receiver sees is stereo (in direct surround mode). I called Pioneer support and the guy on the phone (after walking me through changing the HDMI out from PCM to Bitstream and back) sort of admitted that this may be an issue that they had apparently discussed in a staff meeting this very same day. I politely asked him to pass onto engineers, etc. that if this player doesn't or won't do multi-channel SACD over HDMI, and especially if the new 53FD won't perform that function, that a lot of Pioneer fans will not be happy. I'll give this player a few more weeks of play time, but if the SACD thing isn't worked or figured out I may take it back. Of course I do have the PS3 to fall back on for SACD multi channel playback. BTW, this is definitely an issue as I have the new Pink Floyd Wish You Were Here SACD on order (Nov. 7th release).
post #14 of 618 Old 10-21-2011, 11:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 108
bigbucky,

Insert the disc in the player and hit the "SACD/CD" button on the remote. This will cycle through the CD/SACD 2CH/SACD MCH output. I was able to get the player to play a multi-channel SACD disc this way. If for whatever reason this doesn't work, let me know and I'll retest it with the review unit I have (I've already have boxed it up to return to Pioneer).

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

post #15 of 618 Old 10-22-2011, 09:26 AM

Dave,

Thanks for your input on this.

I tried your suggestion with multiple discs (containing stereo and multi channel tracks; Pink Floyd, DSOTM and Clapton, 451 Ocean blvd.) and it did not work. The CD/SACD button seems to perform no function whatsoever. Additionally, tried multiple combinations of HDMI and Audio out settings of bitstream and PCM.

I've got firmware 2.08 and checked for an update on the network (nothing yet).

Any other thoughts?
post #16 of 618 Old 10-22-2011, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

What happens when you hit that button without a disc in the player? You should see the display screen on the unit change disc priorities as I described above. The button doesn't work at all when discs are playing though.

David Vaughn

post #17 of 618 Old 10-22-2011, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

OK...I just retested and I can change between layers with the SACD/CD button (thought I was losing my mind after reading your post). When you stop the disc, hit stop a second time, then hit the SACD/CD button and it should change layers from there.

David Vaughn

post #18 of 618 Old 10-22-2011, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

I was gona say: try it in stopmode. I can't try it because I already uninstalled mine. I'll be stuck with my half-snale-paced BDP-23FD until the BDP-53FD is available. I've heard that the BDP-51FD/05FD and BDP-09FD are the slowest out there. That's why I called my BDP-23FD half-snale-paced.
post #19 of 618 Old 10-22-2011, 03:12 PM

Gentlemen,

Thank you very much, solved my problem. The key is that when the front display shows SACD then press the CD\\SACD button to cycle through (the display cycles from CD, Stereo to Multi). Completely unintuitive. I've seen a couple of other posts from folks in the other Pio BDP-xxx forum that couldn't get the multi track to work either. I wonder how many folks will return these thinking that they "don't work"?

I am now satisfied with the player. I know that I'm not as discerning as some but I can say that this player meets all of my expectations.
post #20 of 618 Old 10-22-2011, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
I already said try the CD/SACD button a week ago on the other thread - that's similar to how my Denon 2900 works (button on the front) - looks like nobody took any notice or took it seriously.

The 140 is reported to play SACD-R, anyone wants to give the 52FD a try?

Audiosceptics accept audio trials using 25 people. A recent Oxford study with over 353,000 patient records from 639 separate clinical trials shows for every 1,000 people taking diclofenac or ibuprofen there would be 3 additional heart attacks, 4 more cases of heart failure and 1 death every year.

post #21 of 618 Old 10-23-2011, 02:35 AM

Had this player for a week or so now and all i have to say is................ the remote f*ckin sucks. It also plays some mkv files, but some do and some dont play, or i will have issues with audio.
post #22 of 618 Old 10-23-2011, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21questions View Post

Had this player for a week or so now and all i have to say is................ the remote f*ckin sucks. It also plays some mkv files, but some do and some dont play, or i will have issues with audio.

I agreeregarding the remote, but considering the things the player is capable of, I learned to adapt to that. I have a sight impairment. So my life has really been adapting to the world anyway, so do you think the IR sensor's low sensitivity is gonna kill me? I had the player for about three weeks and I was able to adapt. The only reason I'm not keeping the player is because of the inconsistancy between the international press release and what the player actually does.
post #23 of 618 Old 10-23-2011, 01:11 PM

I have had my 52 for about a week, and I really like it except for the remote. The 320 remote took AA batteries; this one uses AAA. That surely has an effect on the range, but I am using my URC MX-500, and that works much better; you don't have to be on top of the sensor

SDS
post #24 of 618 Old 10-23-2011, 09:48 PM

Liked: 12
Any one have a clue when the 53 will be shipping?
post #25 of 618 Old 10-23-2011, 09:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Clamage View Post

December. Working out the implementation of Qdeo.
post #26 of 618 Old 10-23-2011, 10:01 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

December. Working out the implementation of Qdeo.

That's disappointing...Is it normal for them to market a product on their website for a couple of months prior to making it available?
post #27 of 618 Old 10-24-2011, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That's disappointing...Is it normal for them to market a product on their website for a couple of months prior to making it available?

No offence to any of our forum users. Just a reminder: Any one of us can register and post on here without proof of who we really are or aren't. Unless there is a way to proove that walkamo is really Pioneer's Chris Walker, we should use good judgement when relying on and making decisions based on what we read here. It's not that we shouldn't trust anyone here. It's just something to consider when hanging out here for the good of both the online and A/V communities.
post #28 of 618 Old 10-24-2011, 09:25 AM

You must wait for the type of disc (layer) to be displayed, and then push cd/Sacd button on the remote. The default layer is the one you selected in the setup screen.

SDS
post #29 of 618 Old 10-24-2011, 04:55 PM

OK, I've tried the implementation of the CD/SACD button as described above and here are my results.

1. I can get the display to change to CD, SACD 2-CH & SACD MCH. On the original Tubular Bells, with the Quad mix and 2-Channel mix, both on SACD, I am able to switch them using this approach.

<<<<<2. I also tried with the new remixed version of The Ultimate Tubular Bells. This has CD, SACD 2-CH and SACD MCH. I only ever get the CD layer in 2-Channels. It will not play either SACD layer.>>>>> This is not correct. Disc is actually a standard CD. Ignore this point. TB

3. I tried the SACD of Rued Langgaard Music of the Spheres and it will not play anything. It comes up Disc Unknown.

If anybody that has The Ultimate Tubular Bells or Rued Langgaard Music of the Spheres and can check these titles on their 52FD, I'd really appreciate it. I'd say based on my current experience, that there is still some firmware updating that needs to take place.

Pioneer needs an addendum to the owner's manual to include this operational procedure for other users in the future.

Thanks for all your feedback and help.

Tim Balvanz
post #30 of 618 Old 10-24-2011, 05:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Pioneer usually does do this with most of their A/V products, especially Blu-ray. Chris Walker from Pioneer stated the December release last month, right around CEDIA. I am anxious for the release of this player, but December isn't too far off from now!

Go Celtics!
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Pioneer , Pioneer Elite , Blu Ray Players , Bdp 52fd , Pioneer Elite Bdp 53fd

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page