What features would you like in your next Oppo BR - e.g. Oppo BDP-113 and BDP-115. - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes

post #271 of 1045 Old 03-17-2012, 08:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

I agree with that. As a workaround in the current players, you can blank the screen by going into Pure Mode (Pure button, upper left on the remote). Press Pure again to get the screen back.
--Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob305 View Post

I believe that you use the pure audio option for that.

Jacob

The risk is that I'll forget using the Pure-button to blank the plasma screen and have image retention/burn-in as a result....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 1045 Old 03-17-2012, 09:05 AM

The info (like bit rate and so on) about the BD disc displayed in top and bottom of image is not shown for all the zoom modes.

Would be nice that this info is could be shown for all zoom modes.
post #273 of 1045 Old 03-17-2012, 10:13 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by allsop4now View Post

The info (like bit rate and so on) about the BD disc displayed in top and bottom of image is not shown for all the zoom modes.

Would be nice that this info is could be shown for all zoom modes.

You can shift the On Screen Display into view. It works much like subtitle shift, although the setting has to be made in Setup. There is no interactive widget as with subtitles.

-Bill
post #274 of 1045 Old 03-17-2012, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

You can shift the On Screen Display into view. It works much like subtitle shift, although the setting has to be made in Setup. There is no interactive widget as with subtitles.

-Bill

Thanks, I'll try that for the On Screen Display.

Btw, I think that the subtitle shift feature is great.
post #275 of 1045 Old 03-17-2012, 06:44 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by rakosnicek View Post

Here you've got a manufacturer adveritising on the Internet that their Blu Ray player is "region free". If there isn't something special about Switzerland then I imagine the powers that be in BluRay space would have a difficult time in court trying to enforce their will as any other party can point to this player and its availability.

As I said, the CONTEXT of the post I was initially replying to was in regards to region free in the USA. That Goldmund player may or may not be available for purchase in the USA - I really don't know and am not going to start calling around to Goldmund dealers to find out. But the region free rules most definitely differ from country to country, so finding a region free player for sale in Switzerland is completely irrelevant when the context is about players sold here in the USA.

Quote:

When you can stop making assumptions and provide solid answers, let us know. Speculation is worthless.

Here's a solid answer for you: just like the BDP-83/93/95, the next BD player from Oppo will NOT be region free out of the box.

I really don't see the big deal you're making about this - the region free mods are readily available, relatively inexpensive, and easy to install. For those who want or need a region free player, it's really a non-issue.
post #276 of 1045 Old 03-18-2012, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Whether or not it is mass market is immaterial, as is the price.

Here you've got a manufacturer adveritising on the Internet that their Blu Ray player is "region free". If there isn't something special about Switzerland then I imagine the powers that be in BluRay space would have a difficult time in court trying to enforce their will as any other party can point to this player and its availability.

When you can stop making assumptions and provide solid answers, let us know. Speculation is worthless.

gsr was answering a question, not "making assumptions." (Look up "context.")

Enough already! Go pick a fight elsewhere.
post #277 of 1045 Old 03-26-2012, 07:12 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

A screen saver when playing SACD/CD would be very nice for those of us using a plasma screen.

+1

And get rid of the musical note square
post #278 of 1045 Old 03-26-2012, 10:26 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimshowalter View Post

Three simple things would make the BD-95 perfect for me:
1) Balanced outputs for the rest of the channels.
2) Heatsinks sufficient to eliminate the fan (if the Anthem P5 can be fanless, surely the Oppo can be).
3) More-substantial disk tray. (I know it won't improve the sound or video, it just would improve the "feel" of the unit, and anyone who thinks those things don't matter should look at iPhone sales.)

Those are good suggestions. I would even carry it one step further and opt to separate the drive and the DAC. And...make the separate drive into a top loader.
post #279 of 1045 Old 03-27-2012, 01:06 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Note the topic and please stick to it. This is not the "Bash an Oppo" thread. Further off-topic posts will be removed without notice and the member will lose posting privileges in this thread.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #280 of 1045 Old 04-01-2012, 09:40 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

A screen saver when playing SACD/CD would be very nice for those of us using a plasma screen.

Do you mean screen saver as in having variable video output (pretty patterns, moving objects, etc) or just screen blanking?

Screen blanking I can understand as being the providence of the Oppo unit.

But screen savers that have dynamic video is not something that I see as being appropriate for the Oppo.

The way I'd like to see that problem addressed, at least for CDs, is with a DLNA server. The idea being that it muxes together the audio from WAV/MP3/FLAC files together with video and streams that to the renderer (in this case it would be an Oppo unit.) Down that road lays lots of interesting outcomes...
post #281 of 1045 Old 04-01-2012, 09:47 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
DTS Neo 10 decoding with 10.1 discrete RCA outputs. I'm tired of upgrading Receivers for the next best surround decoder. Just give me an OPPO with discrete outputs so that I can use the amps on my obsolete Yamaha RX-Z11.
post #282 of 1045 Old 04-01-2012, 09:50 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
I don't mind the black chassis, but a optional silver would be cool.
post #283 of 1045 Old 04-01-2012, 01:58 PM

Liked: 14
They should also include CD+Graphics decoding. A few albums circa 1990 used it but it didn't really take off, but has still been used for karaoke discs.
post #284 of 1045 Old 04-01-2012, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Another vote for a screensaver while playing SACD/CD's. It appears that Oppo does not output a 'black' screen in Pure Audio mode or whatever it's called. It seems to just not send any video, which on my setup, causes the screen to display a bright blue screen after several seconds of not receiving video input.

Max
post #285 of 1045 Old 04-01-2012, 02:58 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by djbluemax1 View Post

Another vote for a screensaver while playing SACD/CD's. It appears that Oppo does not output a 'black' screen in Pure Audio mode or whatever it's called. It seems to just not send any video, which on my setup, causes the screen to display a bright blue screen after several seconds of not receiving video input.

Max

No, it sends full-frame black. There has to be a video signal, otherwise there's no place to carry the audio signal (which is embedded in the blanking intervals of the video).

Some displays do have a "feature" which treats a constant black video signal as "no video" -- even to the extent of powering off the display in some of them. Often that can be disabled.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #286 of 1045 Old 04-01-2012, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No, it sends full-frame black. There has to be a video signal, otherwise there's no place to carry the audio signal (which is embedded in the blanking intervals of the video).

Some displays do have a "feature" which treats a constant black video signal as "no video" -- even to the extent of powering off the display in some of them. Often that can be disabled.
--Bob

Hmm... thanks for the info. I'll check to see if I can find that setting on the display.

Max
post #287 of 1045 Old 04-01-2012, 08:49 PM

Quote:

--Bob

Isn't the work around for this to simply turn the TV off independently?

Also, for CDs that I play (rather than use FLAC), I rip them to WAV, get the information from CDDB or whatever and then reburn them with the MP3 tags embedded so that when I play them with the Oppo, there is something interesting to look at. I almost never play an original store-bought CD for this reason alone.

This does not work for SACDs... (or at least I haven't tried to rip and reburn an SACD with MP3 tags embedded.)
post #288 of 1045 Old 04-01-2012, 09:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 102
I don't know if this has been mentioned but one thing I think would be nice is a VGA video output so I can hook up a computer monitor. This could serve two purposes.......

1) when listening to CDs or other music, I could monitor track info etc without having the TV on. Used computer monitors are cheap when compared to replacing a large TV

2) when watching a movie and making adjustments on the fly, rather than have the menu info come up on the TV obscurring the video(Wifey hates it when I do that), why not have a separate OSD signal directed towards the VGA output so-as not to mess with the movie.

I found a RCA to VGA converter and am already utilizing this function but the ability to have an option to separate the OSD display would be sweet.

He (or she) who dies with the most HT gear doesn't win anything. They're DEAD!
post #289 of 1045 Old 04-01-2012, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqdog View Post

I don't know if this has been mentioned but one thing I think would be nice is a VGA video output so I can hook up a computer monitor. This could serve two purposes.......

1) when listening to CDs or other music, I could monitor track info etc without having the TV on. Used computer monitors are cheap when compared to replacing a large TV

2) when watching a movie and making adjustments on the fly, rather than have the menu info come up on the TV obscurring the video(Wifey hates it when I do that), why not have a separate OSD signal directed towards the VGA output so-as not to mess with the movie.

I found a RCA to VGA converter and am already utilizing this function but the ability to have an option to separate the OSD display would be sweet.

Would you rather that this was all on a separate display or available via a webserver or some other TCP/IP interface that you could access and receive information from or make changes via?
post #290 of 1045 Old 04-02-2012, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Would you rather that this was all on a separate display or available via a webserver or some other TCP/IP interface that you could access and receive information from or make changes via?

The option to be able to isolate and send the OSD display to a separate video output would be #1 in my book. Whether or not it was an actuall VGA output on the Oppo is not as crucial as just having the ability to separate the signals. As I stated, I'm already utilizing a small computer monitor for CD playback via an RCA to VGA converter.

As far as using a webserver or some other TCP/IP interface, I could imagine this as an additional solution though I feel that it would probably appeal to a limited audience since most don't have a dedicated computer next to their setup. So to answer your question........ how about doing both.

post #291 of 1045 Old 04-02-2012, 07:02 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:

As far as using a webserver or some other TCP/IP interface, I could imagine this as an additional solution though I feel that it would probably appeal to a limited audience since most don't have a dedicated computer next to their setup.

A webserver / TCP/IP interface could easily work with iPhones / iPads and lots of other similar devices. There wouldn't be a need to have a full-blown dedicated PC handy.
post #292 of 1045 Old 04-02-2012, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

A webserver / TCP/IP interface could easily work with iPhones / iPads and lots of other similar devices. There wouldn't be a need to have a full-blown dedicated PC handy.

Understood. But unless the OSD signal is isolated somehow, I will continue to upset my audience whenever I get an itchy finger to do some on the fly adjustments. Of all I've mentioned in these last two posts, that would be the change that would garner the most pleasure from my posse.

Maybe I'm not fully understanding the scope of such devices and their possible abilities to perform such a function. I know that some manufacturers have apps that allow you to in essence use an iphone or droid device as a remote but you still get the OSD displayed on the TV.

post #293 of 1045 Old 04-05-2012, 05:26 AM

Internet Browser please.
post #294 of 1045 Old 04-05-2012, 07:35 AM

Liked: 11
I would just like the player to display the total time for a CD on its display panel when I insert one (when Auto Play Mode is "Off"). Just like every other CD player I've owned since 1983.
post #295 of 1045 Old 04-06-2012, 02:25 AM

Quote:

Understood. But unless the OSD signal is isolated somehow, I will continue to upset my audience whenever I get an itchy finger to do some on the fly adjustments. Of all I've mentioned in these last two posts, that would be the change that would garner the most pleasure from my posse.

Maybe I'm not fully understanding the scope of such devices and their possible abilities to perform such a function. I know that some manufacturers have apps that allow you to in essence use an iphone or droid device as a remote but you still get the OSD displayed on the TV.

So you want to tweak the settings without there being any OSD activity while it is playing, right?
post #296 of 1045 Old 04-06-2012, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So you want to tweak the settings without there being any OSD activity while it is playing, right?

Yes, but to be able to do any tweaking, one must be able to see an OSD somewhere. Hence, an ability to direct the OSD screen to a separate output. Heck, at this point I'd be happy as a clam if the player was able to direct the OSD to the RCA output. I don't need any kind of high resolution for the OSD screen but to isolate it from my 60" display when a movie is running would be golden. To have a separate OSD output like I have on my AVR would be icing on the cake.

post #297 of 1045 Old 04-06-2012, 08:33 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:

Yes, but to be able to do any tweaking, one must be able to see an OSD somewhere. Hence, an ability to direct the OSD screen to a separate output. Heck, at this point I'd be happy as a clam if the player was able to direct the OSD to the RCA output. I don't need any kind of high resolution for the OSD screen but to isolate it from my 60" display when a movie is running would be golden. To have a separate OSD output like I have on my AVR would be icing on the cake.

Uh, the Oppo players DO output the on-screen-display on their Composite Video (RCA) output. There are quite a few folks using small LCD screens as a secondary display hooked up that way (e.g., for playing music while the main TV display is turned off). The RCA output is live all the time -- only 480i, but that works for the on-screen display.

----------------------------------------

Oh, I see, you want the OSD to come out *ONLY* on a secondary display, without also showing on the main screen. Hmm, that's a pretty dangerous setting. If anyone WITHOUT a secondary display accidentally sets it, they won't be able to see to change it back.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #298 of 1045 Old 04-06-2012, 08:46 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRS3 View Post

I would just like the player to display the total time for a CD on its display panel when I insert one (when Auto Play Mode is "Off"). Just like every other CD player I've owned since 1983.

Not quite the same thing, but in the current OPPO 93 and 95 if you go into setup and change the On Screen Display to "Remaining" it will default to showing the "time remaining" in the currently playing track -- in both the Front Panel and in the On-Screen Display.

Setup > Video Setup > Display Options > OSD Mode

Whether or not you change that default choice, while the disc is playing you can use the Page Up/Down buttons on the remote to cycle between 4 display choices for the Front Panel:

1) Time counts up in current track (no indication of length of track)

2) Time counts up in total disc time (no indication of length of disc)

3) Remaining time left in current track counts down

4) Remaining time left in balance of disc counts down -- this would be closest to the display you are asking for.

These only show while the disc is PLAYING -- not just because you have loaded the disc with Auto Play OFF -- because unlike your prior CD players, the OPPO may be doing something else entirely even though you happen to have a non-playing CD in the tray. E.g., it might be playing Netflix, or browsing media files on an attached hard drive, or streaming from a DLNA server.

It's only when you start the disc playing that the player can know to give priority to the disc's own information in the front panel display.
--Bob

post #299 of 1045 Old 04-06-2012, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Of course, the simple solution would be to get the display chain calibrated, and hence not have to continually tweak things while watching a movie.

Max
post #300 of 1045 Old 04-06-2012, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

If possible include digital inputs (optical and coaxial) especially on the 95 so one can ultilize the excellent DACs with an outboard source.

Bill

Why on earth would they exclude an optical out?
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page