What features would you like in your next Oppo BR - e.g. Oppo BDP-113 and BDP-115. - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 12Likes

post #361 of 1063 Old 06-13-2012, 10:51 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 48
4k upscale would be nice especially with their upscaling abilities; too bad the price is "mom(/wife/girlfriend for some) will kick me out of the house" expensive. but the again sony can do it for under 300

pcm=potato
bitstream=patato
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 1063 Old 06-13-2012, 10:55 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by boe View Post

I'll admit, I'm holding off on buying my whole new bedroom environment until the next Oppo comes out. I need a cabinet, TV and BR player.
I'll have to get the cabinet built as I can't find anything that is nearly deep enough for my amp. I'd have to have the back removed and the cabinet sitting about 8" from the wall with standard cabinets. I'd rather have it much closer to the wall. I'll probably just get a VT50 until AMOLED comes down in price and because better tested.

Some BDI cabinets are pretty deep, I got Yamaha RX-A2000 receiver which is like 17" deep and I found Avion Series II pretty good for it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #363 of 1063 Old 06-13-2012, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter
boe
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyDee View Post

Some BDI cabinets are pretty deep, I got Yamaha RX-A2000 receiver which is like 17" deep and I found Avion Series II pretty good for it.

Thanks. My anthem p5 is about 23" deep without the cables plugged in add at least 2 inches with the cabled plugged in.
post #364 of 1063 Old 06-13-2012, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by swarm87 View Post

4k upscale would be nice especially with their upscaling abilities; too bad the price is "mom(/wife/girlfriend for some) will kick me out of the house" expensive. but the again sony can do it for under 300

There is no 4K media and by the time 4K becomes affordable for the mainstream viewing public; transports for $150.00 will have this capability.smile.gif Also, Sony's solution for realizing 4K using Sony equipment will presently cost you $20K+.eek.gif and 4K is still in the novelty stage.

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

Oppo BDP-105, Denon DVD-5910CI, Cambridge 752BD, Cambridge 640C V2

Paradigm Signature S8, Paradigm Signature ADP1

Paradigm Signature ADP3, Paradigm Signature C5

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Oppo BDP-93, BDP-103D, Pioneer BDP-320

Sony BDP-S790

post #365 of 1063 Old 06-22-2012, 04:00 PM

Liked: 10
Digital inputs so I can use the internal DAC.

I would like to use the internal DAC of the oppo bdp95 to connect other components to.
post #366 of 1063 Old 06-22-2012, 04:02 PM

Also, would like DSD support for audio
post #367 of 1063 Old 06-23-2012, 09:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I'm a simple man..

4K Support (native and upscale) although a native format hasn't been defined yet but....
IP Control
2.35 Support (meaning the Oppo menu and options screen can be reformatted to support 2.35)

Owner, AudioXtream.
Authorized Dealer for Kef, Triad, Bryston, Auralic, Audeze, Grado, Audioquest, Marantz
post #368 of 1063 Old 06-24-2012, 12:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I would love to have a 10 sec rewind (and skip) function on the remote so I could replay a missed dialog without using the rewind button.
Best feature on the Sony players.

Phil Tomaskovic
post #369 of 1063 Old 06-24-2012, 05:00 AM

1. More information on the display. technical and media file titles etc.
2. Sleep timer.
3. Better bluray disc reading on insertion into the player(lots of issues here).
4. Improved persistant storage interference issues.
5. Better heat management and lower/no fan noise.
6. Automatic Audio Room correction on the future beefed up analogue section player, like the 95. The current BDP 95 has Bass management, Speaker distance and size adjustments. Is this part of the digital processing? If so then could they also include automatic Audio Room Correction like Audessey or their own proprietory processing in the player? If this forms part of digital processing it will allow me to use the high quality DAC chips they offer. This will definitely help me to avoid the only reason sometimes i prefer to use an external processor but sadly bypass the Great DACs they offer. I have purchased a Parasound P7 to make use of the analogue sound out of their player but sometimes hope the player also did ARC like audessey so i dont miss that one aspect of digital processing while it already does everything else in the Digital processing domain. There are a huge number of people who go for the 93 because of this one missing ingredient and therefore do the processing outside the player which includes Bass management, Speaker distances, speaker size and ARC. The 95 is already doing the rest of the processing except ARC. Would have really loved the addition of the same in a future, beefed up analogue section, player like the 95, whose buyers are paying for the extra improved analogue sound, so that they dont miss ARC. just needs a mic interface which could mean Karaoke as a bonus. Alternatively some way to input ARC settings manually into the player with the readings of an external ARC device since it will be a one time setup until some change in the setup/location of the room itself..

just out of curiosity, i have read several times on the 95 thread that Mr. Kal Rubinson uses the HDMI route even after giving the 95 a high rating because he prefers ARC. Would he, if ARC was incorporated, still go the HDMI route or go analogue?
post #370 of 1063 Old 06-24-2012, 08:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by manoharshetty9 View Post

1. More information on the display. technical and media file titles etc.
2. Sleep timer.
3. Better bluray disc reading on insertion into the player(lots of issues here).
4. Improved persistant storage interference issues.
5. Better heat management and lower/no fan noise.
6. Automatic Audio Room correction on the future beefed up analogue section player, like the 95. The current BDP 95 has Bass management, Speaker distance and size adjustments. Is this part of the digital processing? If so then could they also include automatic Audio Room Correction like Audessey or their own proprietory processing in the player? If this forms part of digital processing it will allow me to use the high quality DAC chips they offer. This will definitely help me to avoid the only reason sometimes i prefer to use an external processor but sadly bypass the Great DACs they offer. I have purchased a Parasound P7 to make use of the analogue sound out of their player but sometimes hope the player also did ARC like audessey so i dont miss that one aspect of digital processing while it already does everything else in the Digital processing domain. There are a huge number of people who go for the 93 because of this one missing ingredient and therefore do the processing outside the player which includes Bass management, Speaker distances, speaker size and ARC. The 95 is already doing the rest of the processing except ARC. Would have really loved the addition of the same in a future, beefed up analogue section, player like the 95, whose buyers are paying for the extra improved analogue sound, so that they dont miss ARC. just needs a mic interface which could mean Karaoke as a bonus. Alternatively some way to input ARC settings manually into the player with the readings of an external ARC device since it will be a one time setup until some change in the setup/location of the room itself..
just out of curiosity, i have read several times on the 95 thread that Mr. Kal Rubinson uses the HDMI route even after giving the 95 a high rating because he prefers ARC. Would he, if ARC was incorporated, still go the HDMI route or go analogue?

First off, I prefer to use HDMI because there are other limitations to using the Oppo's analog outputs in addition to ARC/Audyssey/etc.    Second, those options in the processor also can be applied to sources other than the Oppo.  Third, the general solution is to get a processor with better DACs and keep the player as a transport.   IMHO, of course.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

post #371 of 1063 Old 06-24-2012, 08:49 PM

Thanks Mr. Rubinson for your reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

First off, I prefer to use HDMI because there are other limitations to using the Oppo's analog outputs in addition to ARC/Audyssey/etc.

could you please ellaborate on these limitations aside from a boatload of cables which i assume is one of the limitations to my knowledge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

Third, the general solution is to get a processor with better DACs and keep the player as a transport.

Are there specific reasons for this approach? Are those reasons still applicable with the existing improvements in technology? Which processor would you say has a DAC which is better than the Sabre32 9018 used in the 95?

Thanks again in advance.
post #372 of 1063 Old 06-26-2012, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter
boe
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Tomaskovic View Post

I would love to have a 10 sec rewind (and skip) function on the remote so I could replay a missed dialog without using the rewind button.
Best feature on the Sony players.

That is missed.
post #373 of 1063 Old 06-26-2012, 04:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by manoharshetty9 View Post

Thanks Mr. Rubinson for your reply.
could you please ellaborate on these limitations aside from a boatload of cables which i assume is one of the limitations to my knowledge.
Are there specific reasons for this approach? Are those reasons still applicable with the existing improvements in technology? Which processor would you say has a DAC which is better than the Sabre32 9018 used in the 95?
Thanks again in advance.

There are other processing options that some find useful (e.g., channel expansion) and more subtle/useful setup.  The main point is that with HDMI and putting the tools in processor simply lets them be applied to all sources instead of duplicating them in each.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

post #374 of 1063 Old 07-25-2012, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter
boe
AVS Special Member

I realize they may not have anything ready yet but I'll admit I'd settle for something from Oppo on their next model.
post #375 of 1063 Old 07-30-2012, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 36
+1 on the digital inputs and also maybe async. USB? (Pioneer Receivers now have this so why not Oppo, just to lead the pack) This would more than justify the price of a 95, you could pass on that $3,000 botique DAC and just run your digital music into the Oppo and analog outs to receiver...mmmmm, analog...though Kal is right about the processor w/internal DACs, the external is even more functional as you wouldn't have to change the DACs or Processor if you wanted to upgrade one and not the other (of course, it might not be economical two buy separate DAC if a combo solution offered the best of both for less $).
post #376 of 1063 Old 08-03-2012, 02:15 AM

I'd like

1) Ability to mount NFS/CIFS shares from NAS.

2) Save/Load settings to/from a plaintext file (may be on a USB stick, or NAS, if can be mounted).
3) Some sort of self-diagnostic test and write the results to a file that we can see (and send to Oppo for their comments)
4) Some sort of logging of what happened during the playback of last disk, e.g what kind of content was encountered, what kind of audio/video signals were finally used (enforced by HDMI handshake), any errors, etc. And again, write this to a file that we can access.
5) Some kind of remote access ability (telnet, ssh, vnc) that we can turn on/off so Oppo can take a look "inside" the player remotely, before we decide to ship the unit to them

Just kidding, especially about (5). All other than (1) are for knowledgeable folks to explain why they probably make no technical sense since in the last 13 or so pages, nobody mentioned them. I can't be the only one to have wished for them to be there when I had issues with my BDP-93.
post #377 of 1063 Old 08-03-2012, 10:41 AM
cwt
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 32
May have been mentioned before but if auro3d sound discs start turning up [red tails bd will be the 1st movie one I read] a 11.1 or more hdmi passthrough would be applicable smile.gif Or better a built in decoder.

The 1st multichannel 9.1 auro audio disc from 2l is releasing and the president made these comments that tie in hopefully with the next oppo cool.gif Even if your theater cant manage more than 5.1 ; auros' backward channel mapping still makes this desirable . Prudent considering datasat [ne dts] is retrofitting theaters concurrently with auro ...
Quote:
Post by Lindberg June 24, 2012 (6 of 19)
reply | reply with quote
Luong said:

The main problem for me here is finding the AURO-3D decoder. I don't know which pre/pro or receiver has it. Kal Rubinson does not know either. Is this decoder available for home use? on what brand / model?
It's safe to say that our implementation of 9.1 is somewhat ahead of the commercial market. The first disc players and receivers to implement the Auro-3D decoder in the same manner as Dolby and DTS will not be available to the mass market before late 2013 thru 2014. There are dedicated decoders and DACs under development that can pick up their feed by HDMI from a Blu-ray player or computer play-back. These will probably be available sooner.
post #378 of 1063 Old 08-03-2012, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter
boe
AVS Special Member

I just tested out a different (newer) version of makeMKV and it worked great with the oppo on the current firmware. Chapters worked like a charm! So I'm kind of luvin' my oppo even more than ever smile.gif

I guess the only real issue for me is the slow wireless on the oppo. I get top speed with my laptop right next to the oppo in the same space. I connect my oppo via network and it can stream 1080p media. However, wirelessly it takes a very long time to load an MKV and streaming is very choppy. I'm not sure if adding more memory to the oppo might help with load times.
post #379 of 1063 Old 08-03-2012, 04:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by boe View Post

I just tested out a different (newer) version of makeMKV and it worked great with the oppo on the current firmware. Chapters worked like a charm! So I'm kind of luvin' my oppo even more than ever smile.gif
I guess the only real issue for me is the slow wireless on the oppo. I get top speed with my laptop right next to the oppo in the same space. I connect my oppo via network and it can stream 1080p media. However, wirelessly it takes a very long time to load an MKV and streaming is very choppy. I'm not sure if adding more memory to the oppo might help with load times.

Being what it is, wireless is anything but predictable. Being "right next" to a device that gets fast connect is no guarantee that another device will. The Oppo comes with an extension cable for the wireless dongle that allows you to move it around. Movements as small as a few inches or even just turning the dongle can have an impact. As does a person walking through the room. Point being, Oppo can't fix weirdness in a wireless network, and more memory or a larger buffer won't change that.
post #380 of 1063 Old 08-03-2012, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter
boe
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

Being what it is, wireless is anything but predictable. Being "right next" to a device that gets fast connect is no guarantee that another device will. The Oppo comes with an extension cable for the wireless dongle that allows you to move it around. Movements as small as a few inches or even just turning the dongle can have an impact. As does a person walking through the room. Point being, Oppo can't fix weirdness in a wireless network, and more memory or a larger buffer won't change that.

Not to completely dismiss your ideas but my wireless is extremely predictable and I can stream to my laptop without a sputter to the exact same location my usb cable has the extension going to for my Oppo. I also found if I can spare it, using an airport express wired to my oppo wireless to my source also works without a sputter. That is with the airport express in the exact same location as the Oppo wireless receiver. I set up many of my clients on home computers with wireless airport expresses and not a single one of them has had any issues - they use them for skype HD video conferences on their home systems as a number have no wiring going back to their routers. These CEOs and CFOs are not shy about telling me when they have issues with their computers either. The Oppo wireless is not great and there is no point in trying to make excuses for it when other wireless devices work fine under the exact same circumstances - just encourage them to put in a better one on their next player. I'm not putting Oppo down - I think they have a fantastic BR player at a very fair price but frankly the wireless in it is not great. The higher the bandwidth demands of the media you are streaming the more you'll realize the weakness. It might be the wireless card or the way it interacts on the system through the USB but it does not work as well as other wireless devices I have including my phone, laptops (sony and macbook), airport express or my ipad. I've tested out streaming on all of them as well as file transfers and they all work fine from the same source as my oppo and in the same location as my oppo. I can even bridge the wireless from my Sony laptop to the wired port back to my oppo and it also resolves the issue.

Not all processors, video cards, sound cards, hard drives, wireless or wired nics are created equal. The Oppo is used for streaming and unless there is a huge precache or buffer, issues with data feeds are quite noticeable. While improving the precache may assist, a better wireless unit would help as well. I just gave out my last airport express so I'm back to using the wireless for now and the difference is significant even when I put the airport in a spot the oppo barely worked.
post #381 of 1063 Old 08-07-2012, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Hello,
While the BDP-93 is by far my favorite standalone BDP, there are a few things I would like to see in the replacement. First. better IR Range as I honestly cannot even use the RC from the couch. For some reason my Onkyo AVR Remote provides better range, but it still involves having to point the RC directly at the 93. In addition, the replacements would benefit from a CPU upgrade to support Netflix with DD+ and similar interface to the PS3. This would no doubt trickle down into better performance with Vudu, You Tube, et al.

With the Roku announcement, it somewhat stands to reason that these new BDP's are going to offer the things I am describing. With the loss of Component and all other Analog Video Outputs in accordance to the AACS Final Adopter Agreement (Analog Sunset), I do think OPPO does need enhanced Streaming Media functionality to at least make me want to purchase it. All the same, I am so happy with my 93 that I really would have to be bowled over to end up purchasing one. It no doubt makes more sense perhaps for 83/83SE Owners.
Cheers,
AD
boe likes this.

Radio Shack SPL Meter Owner
post #382 of 1063 Old 08-07-2012, 12:15 PM

Liked: 16
  1. USB 3.0 inputs
  2. Compatibility to read over 2TB volumes
  3. More streaming capabilities, but maybe Roku is there answer for that. But push app owners to improve look, feel and performance of each app.
  4. Variable skip forward/back buttons
  5. Natural improvements to noise and heat outputs is always appreciated.
  6. Limited time 30% - 75% price discount for early adopters...a guy can wish can't he?!?
boe likes this.

Mitsubishi WD-92842, Onkyo HT-S9400THX, Oppo BDP-93, XBOX 360 w/Kinect, XBOX (modded), WD My Book Essential, FiOS Bundle
post #383 of 1063 Old 08-07-2012, 02:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 221
There's no possible use for USB-3 in a player. All USB-3 devices are compatible with USB-2.
post #384 of 1063 Old 08-07-2012, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Audiodork, while I do agree that the remote operation is pretty poor, it is a failure in the design of the remote itself, and not the player.

Yes we should get a better remote for this price point, most of us are using universal remotes, so not really a deal breaker.

I've seen things you wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate.
post #385 of 1063 Old 08-09-2012, 02:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiodork View Post

It no doubt makes more sense perhaps for 83/83SE Owners.

AD,

It certainly does smile.gif. I will most likely be replacing my 83SE with the new version of the 93. I'm really curious as to what the new model numbers will be.

Bill

, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #386 of 1063 Old 08-09-2012, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

There's no possible use for USB-3 in a player. All USB-3 devices are compatible with USB-2.

The use is from the speed increase when one is streaming HD/3D or anything else for that matter. Plus it keeps up with the times. Let's face it, Oppo is one of the top of the line brands, so it should have top of the line connections.

USB 3.0 vs. USB 2.0: How much faster is it?
boe likes this.

Mitsubishi WD-92842, Onkyo HT-S9400THX, Oppo BDP-93, XBOX 360 w/Kinect, XBOX (modded), WD My Book Essential, FiOS Bundle
post #387 of 1063 Old 08-09-2012, 03:56 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by enthuzist View Post

The use is from the speed increase when one is streaming HD/3D or anything else for that matter. Plus it keeps up with the times. Let's face it, Oppo is one of the top of the line brands, so it should have top of the line connections.
USB 3.0 vs. USB 2.0: How much faster is it?
USB 2.0 is more than fast enough to handle the streaming demands of anything one would be playing on any of these players. The only potential place where 3.0 might make a difference is in indexing the files on the drive, but the drive itself might not be fast enough to take advantage of the extra bandwidth anyway.
post #388 of 1063 Old 08-09-2012, 04:09 PM

Either way, there is no reason to not include it on future releases. It is an easy change.
boe likes this.

post #389 of 1063 Old 08-09-2012, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk1843 View Post

Audiodork, while I do agree that the remote operation is pretty poor, it is a failure in the design of the remote itself, and not the player.
Yes we should get a better remote for this price point, most of us are using universal remotes, so not really a deal breaker.

Hello,
I completely agree that most are going to be using some sort of Universal Remote of some kind. That being said, the IR Range of the 93 is the poorest of any of my source components. I am sure part of it is that my primary seating position is around 18 feet from the Frontstage/PDP and the BDP's, Cable Boxes, et al. All the same, the OPPO is the only source component where I have to either stand up near it or lean towards it.

It really is not a big deal to me and I do not think I can ever possibly convey just how much I enjoy using the 93. While I have around 1300 DVD's, it was hard for me initially to start amassing large numbers of BD's owing to just how many were repurchasing of the same title. Before the 93, I had around 50 BD's. Now, I have well over 300. I truly look forward to the ritual of opening up a new BD and placing it the 93's Disc Tray. Huge props to OPPO for working with the Tohei Group of Japan and having them build the Disc Loader as it truly is a joy to use.
Cheers,
AD

Radio Shack SPL Meter Owner
post #390 of 1063 Old 08-09-2012, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiodork View Post

Hello,
I completely agree that most are going to be using some sort of Universal Remote of some kind. That being said, the IR Range of the 93 is the poorest of any of my source components. I am sure part of it is that my primary seating position is around 18 feet from the Frontstage/PDP and the BDP's, Cable Boxes, et al....
Cheers,
AD

So is the IR range issue the player or the remote? I have seen others complain, but they were all using the Oppo remote.

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page