What features would you like in your next Oppo BR - e.g. Oppo BDP-113 and BDP-115. - Page 25 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: DIRAC Live Software
Yes 23 63.89%
No 13 36.11%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-03-2013, 01:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

^ Much more likely Amazon doesn't want to bother with lower volume brands.
--Bob
And there is evidence that strongly supports this ... just go look at the list of TVs, Bluray Players, and Streaming products that Amazon does support.

I'll help - here it is: http://www.amazon.com/gp/video/ontv/devices

Looks huge, right?
Then collapse to just the manufacturer/brand. See what happens to the list. Apparently, if you are not the size/weight of LG, Panasonic, Samsung, Sony, Vizio, Tivo, Roku, Netgear, Logitech, Google, or Asus - then you just are not worth their time.

Display: Panasonic P60UT50 (Plasma)
Speakers: (4) Monitor Audio Silver 9i (Front and Surround), (1) Monitor Audio Silver 12i (Center), (4) Monitor Audio Silver 4i (Rear and Wide), (2) Aperion Audio Bravus II 8d (Subwoofers)
Receiver: Pioneer Elite SC-87 AVR (9.2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103, Roku 3, Cable...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2013, 03:25 PM
LJG
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Only two things currently missing for me is Dolby Pro Logic, and Dolby Pro Logic 2X. Auro 3D, and or Atmos when available.
Old 12-06-2013, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter
boe
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:

Just to state the obvious, you folks do realize the current 103/105/103D players include upscaling to 4Kx2K output, right?
--Bob

OK - I had a chance to compare the integrated 4K on the XBR-65X850A (I've only had it a couple of days now) but here is my opinion

The Sony 4K upscaler seems to do a slightly better job- the picture seems crisper and cleaner.
The Oppo 4K upsaler is close but seems a little grainy or less detailed. Hard to describe like it is just a slightly lower resolution.
Both upscalers tend to have an issue when there is a lot of action sometime the area in motion can seem a little soft but then gets sharp.

This is not a knock on the 103; the Sony upscaler may be optimized for its own particular display. I don't know much about upscaling technical details so this is just a stab in the dark on why it is better in the native Sony upscaling built into the TV.
Old 12-06-2013, 08:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 19
the ability to have Meditek not abandon a platform because it's "old".

The proper setting for sharpness is always0.
Also my Oppo BDP-103D is region free.
That makes me awesome.
Old 12-08-2013, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter
boe
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 87
This may sound strange but it would be nice if the Oppo has a few extra RJ45 out connections so that I can run one Ethernet to my Oppo and instead of having to put in a switch, my BR player could then connect data out to my TV, 4K media server and console.
Old 12-08-2013, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by boe View Post

This may sound strange but it would be nice if the Oppo has a few extra RJ45 out connections so that I can run one Ethernet to my Oppo and instead of having to put in a switch, my BR player could then connect data out to my TV, 4K media server and console.
HDMI v1.4 was supposed to have offered us ethernet connectivity via HDMI... All we need are supporting products?

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
Old 12-09-2013, 06:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
DSD USB support with Jriver MC
Old 12-11-2013, 01:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 139
I would like to see an Oppo BD/DVD-A/SACD/CD player only.

No Pandora, no streaming, no server capabilities, just a disc player, with as high a quality as they can achieve, and built-in high quality DACS for disc content.

That way I could be sure the money was going to features I care about and not to features I will never use (like Netflix, Hulu, etc. - I bought a BD player to play BDs, not to watch inferior quality "HD" streamed video.)

Perhaps a BD-111 to go with the 113 and 115 at about half the MSRP of the 115.
Old 12-11-2013, 03:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by kucharsk View Post

No Pandora, no streaming, no server capabilities, just a disc player, with as high a quality as they can achieve, and built-in high quality DACS for disc content.

That way I could be sure the money was going to features I care about and not to features I will never use (like Netflix, Hulu, etc. - I bought a BD player to play BDs, not to watch inferior quality "HD" streamed video.)
I would be happy if there was an option via 'Device Setup' or 'Network Setup' that would allow us to remove all the streaming applications from main/home GUI....

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
Old 12-11-2013, 03:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by kucharsk View Post

Perhaps a BD-111 to go with the 113 and 115 at about half the MSRP of the 115.

Their players that are priced higher are priced accordingly for better hardware performance.
Like with the current BDP-105... the stereo analog audio and a few other things are better quality than in the BDP-103.

However they develop software features that are used for one player, like internet apps and network features, then those are easily ported over to any other players they sell as long as the hardware supports it. You can't make the -103 sound better with -105 features because the hardware does not support it, but the apps and network features can be easily added to the -105 via firmware revisions without adding real cost to the price of the -105, because they are already developed for the -103.

They could sell a player without those added features, but it doesn't make the player cost any less to make, so there is no savings to pass on to the customer who buys it.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
Old 12-11-2013, 04:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Again, I would like more music server functionality like a joint venture with J River. To me that is the only weak point of the 105.

Main Kef: Reference 205/2 & 202/2c, Surrounds: Kef XQ40, Velodyne Optimum 12, Integra DHC 80.3, Ayre K-5xeMP, Oppo BDP-103, Bryston 4Bsst2, Parasound Halo A31. Second B&W: 685 (3), CCM618, Def Tech Powerfield 1500, Onkyo TX-NR1008, Zone 2 Klipsch AW650.
Old 12-11-2013, 12:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
^^^^^Optimized JRiver Media Center support, be able to use Jriver to OPPO BDP-115 as a Native Multi-channel/stereo DSD DAC. Include Darbee. Also include an HDMI out fro whole house audio video distribution that can work simultaneously with analog output yet be turned off for critical listening.
Old 12-11-2013, 05:41 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 594 Post(s)
Liked: 385
Ok here is what I want

HARWARE:

- All aluminum no more plastic please especially for the drawer.
- HDMi 2.0
- USB 3.0
- Thunderbolt
- upgraded DACS
- 9. 2 channels with XLR connections

SOFTWARE:

- DIRAC calibration software or Lyngdorf Room Perfect
- better GUI
Old 12-11-2013, 06:43 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 246
^ All of that would come with a retail price that would scare too many people away, especially the aluminum drawer as that's a big part of the reason why the flagship Denon players are so expensive.
Old 12-11-2013, 06:53 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked: 1065
And in case you don't realize it, the drawer is only used to move the disc in and out of the drive. During playback, the drawer is not in contact with the disc.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Old 12-12-2013, 12:47 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

^ All of that would come with a retail price that would scare too many people away, especially the aluminum drawer as that's a big part of the reason why the flagship Denon players are so expensive.

$1100 is not cheap!

Old 12-12-2013, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Considering what you get for that price, it isn't too bad. Almost all other players with anything like the same features, build quality and component quality are much more expensive.

Old 12-12-2013, 01:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

$1100 is not cheap!
I don't consider 1100 cheap either, but comparatively speaking, when you see how much other similar products cost that have less features than the Oppo, you are getting a very good deal/product for the price paid.
Quote:

And in case you don't realize it, the drawer is only used to move the disc in and out of the drive. During playback, the drawer is not in contact with the disc.
--Bob
Ya but what good is it if you can't do pullups on it??
It is a universal player after all. It could also serve as a workout machine.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
Old 12-12-2013, 03:47 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Quote:

$1100 is not cheap!
Compared to $4500, it is.
Old 12-12-2013, 06:04 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bexar View Post

^^^^^Optimized JRiver Media Center support, be able to use Jriver to OPPO BDP-115 as a Native Multi-channel/stereo DSD DAC. Include Darbee. Also include an HDMI out fro whole house audio video distribution that can work simultaneously with analog output yet be turned off for critical listening.

And I want it to make my morning coffee too....smile.gifbiggrin.gif and laughing face if they had it !!!
Old 12-13-2013, 04:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:

$1100 is not cheap!

While $1,100 is not cheap it is lot cheaper than flagship players of the past as a own a couple.smile.gif

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

Oppo BDP-105, Denon DVD-5910CI, Cambridge 752BD, Cambridge 640C V2

Paradigm Signature S8, Paradigm Signature ADP1

Paradigm Signature ADP3, Paradigm Signature C5

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Oppo BDP-93, BDP-103D, Pioneer BDP-320

Sony BDP-S790

Old 12-14-2013, 11:38 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerwi View Post

While $1,100 is not cheap it is lot cheaper than flagship players of the past as a own a couple.smile.gif

Agreed!
Old 12-19-2013, 08:19 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Making it play DVD-Audio discs without truncating the songs!
Old 12-22-2013, 06:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Ask OPPO and they may be able to send you a test firmware to fix your issues.
Old 12-24-2013, 09:00 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Add a firewire conection for audio listening.

Old 12-28-2013, 06:37 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I would like the next Oppo to be able to act as a display manager/video processor (i.e using the AVR as a switch). To do that 1) ARC should work so that the Oppo can look like Display to the AVR and send its audio back to the AVR for processing
2) Have a pass-through mode so that when it is off, HDMI input will go out to the main HDMI output.
3) When HDMI input is not selected, have it be electrically isolated to avoid HDMI loops.
Old 12-29-2013, 09:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Can't recall if it's been mentioned before, but it would be nice that Oppo consider making their new revision of the universal players more like a pre-pro device. The thinking is that power amps can be left out of and have minimal interference to the low voltage circuits of the new Oppo. 12V trigger feature would need to be implemented.

Have sufficient digital / analogue connections and allowing the Oppo to be the central hub for devices such as set top boxes, DVR, HTPCs, console games, etc. I would go with HDMI 1.4 with 6 in with 2 out on the higher end model with 4 in and 2 out on the lower end.

The bigger sized higher end model has to keep the die hard audiophiles happy. Incorporate dedicated 2-channel circuits with XLR out on stereo.

Ethernet IP controls with an intuitive user interface that'll allow everyone in the family to enjoy playing/using all their devices connected to the Oppo as a whole rather than the current piece meal approach. Something like a built in Plex media server with DLNA. Able to stream DSD files to the Oppo.

Maranatz SR-7009, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, LG LW6500, aTV, WDTV Live, Harmony 650 remote, KEF E301, MiniDSP(2x4), Rythmik F12G
Old 12-29-2013, 09:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveting99 View Post

Can't recall if it's been mentioned before, but it would be nice that Oppo consider making their new revision of the universal players more like a pre-pro device. The thinking is that power amps can be left out of and have minimal interference to the low voltage circuits of the new Oppo. 12V trigger feature would need to be implemented.

Have sufficient digital / analogue connections and allowing the Oppo to be the central hub for devices such as set top boxes, DVR, HTPCs, console games, etc. I would go with HDMI 1.4 with 6 in with 2 out on the higher end model with 4 in and 2 out on the lower end.

The bigger sized higher end model has to keep the die hard audiophiles happy. Incorporate dedicated 2-channel circuits with XLR out on stereo.

Ethernet IP controls with an intuitive user interface that'll allow everyone in the family to enjoy playing/using all their devices connected to the Oppo as a whole rather than the current piece meal approach. Something like a built in Plex media server with DLNA. Able to stream DSD files to the Oppo.

They kind of are already there.
Just 2 hdmi inputs on the current model, and many media servers can be connected via DNLA, etc...
It certainly would be cool if they added more features that a full featured pre-pro would have.
They are already aware that many people want an official pre-pro from Oppo, but diving into the deep end of that pool is is a big ole can of worms.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
Old 12-29-2013, 09:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 48
honestly id like to see a low cost option; no fancy DAC or anything just a "tank" built player with 2 hdmi out/ 2 in with killer upscaling(basically take the 103D and strip out the DAC analog outs and charge $349) probably not going to happen though
John Schlarb likes this.

pcm=potato
bitstream=patato
Old 12-29-2013, 09:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarm87 View Post

honestly id like to see a low cost option; no fancy DAC or anything just a "tank" built player with 2 hdmi out/ 2 in with killer upscaling(basically take the 103D and strip out the DAC analog outs and charge $349) probably not going to happen though

Oppo isn't a big brand manufacturer. They can't really afford to make 5 different players that cater to every niche of consumers.
What they are good at though is packing as many awesome features as possible into 1 universal player for an awesome price.
Maybe not compared to a $99 BD player, but compared to other similar players that sell for twice as much.
There are more than few simple BD players out there that are very good quality, and if that is what a consumer needs at a lower price point then that is what they should get.
Don't get me wrong... I would love if Oppo did make such a player as you suggest, but I just don't think they can compete in that market against other giant manufacturers.
I think Oppo is just so d*** good at what they do, we just want all our components to be Oppo. smile.gif

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...

Tags
Oppo , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc Bdp 105