What features would you like in your next Oppo BR - e.g. Oppo BDP-113 and BDP-115. - Page 28 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
View Poll Results: DIRAC Live Software
Yes 38 73.08%
No 14 26.92%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

First ... 26  27  28 29  30  ... Last
Blu-ray Players > What features would you like in your next Oppo BR - e.g. Oppo BDP-113 and BDP-115.
boe's Avatar boe 11:00 PM 02-08-2014
OK, I got to playing with streaming on my Sony TV and there is one thing I friggin LOVE about it vs. the oppo. When you pick a folder to select shows, you don't just see text (there is scrolling text beneath the show name). It would be really really nice if the next Oppo had either default thumbnails for shows or it had a preview shot -

Thumbnail

Preview

Both my TV and my Sony get their video streamed via mezzmo.

I have no doubt the people who made the Oppo could figure out how to add this feature to the next Oppo as the Oppo is a fantastic player. The truth is I stream from my PC or Netflix far more than 50% so I'd love for the streaming capabilities of this device to be every bit as impressive as the player.

boe's Avatar boe 08:25 AM 02-09-2014
Even better still, a media browser client integrated for a media server would be great e.g. plex or mediabrowser.

Media Browser
just skip forward to about 37 seconds.

The closer Oppo can make their front end to kaleidescape the better - let the PC software running on the PC storing your media do the heavy lifting but make the oppo thin client leverage that power.
rakosnicek's Avatar rakosnicek 05:18 AM 02-10-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by boe View Post

Even better still, a media browser client integrated for a media server would be great

Media Browser
The closer Oppo can make their front end to kaleidescape the better - let the PC software running on the PC storing your media do the heavy lifting but make the oppo thin client leverage that power.

And throw out the disc playing, along with cost and licensing issues that go with it so that smile.gif (e.g. issues with ISO files)
boe's Avatar boe 08:25 AM 02-10-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by rakosnicek View Post

And throw out the disc playing, along with cost and licensing issues that go with it so that smile.gif (e.g. issues with ISO files)

Other than improving the playback to include 4K optical and adding HDMI 2.0 there isn't a tremendous amount more that I think Oppo needs to do on the physical side of the player - however the streaming side has a whole world of room for improvement as this seems to be the direction things are heading for many people I know.
scolumbo's Avatar scolumbo 11:56 AM 02-10-2014
Quote:

+1

Quote:

Other than improving the playback to include 4K optical and adding HDMI 2.0 there isn't a tremendous amount more that I think Oppo needs to do on the physical side of the player - however the streaming side has a whole world of room for improvement as this seems to be the direction things are heading for many people I know.

I'm not sure that in 10 years, physical media won't seem as quaint as buying a CD (or book, newspaper or magazine) is these days, even for 4K content. The teenagers in my house don't buy any of that antiquated stuff, even school books are now on their iPads.

Downloadable content playback and streaming 4K is where Oppo should focus IMO.
JazzGuyy's Avatar JazzGuyy 01:01 PM 02-10-2014
Maybe. But there will always be those folks who want something physical. Just like there are still people buying LPs, not a lot but enough to keep a couple of pressing plants in business. Physical media will be a niche market (and probably at premium prices) but not something that will completely disappear.
scolumbo's Avatar scolumbo 01:43 PM 02-10-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGuyy View Post

Maybe. But there will always be those folks who want something physical. Just like there are still people buying LPs, not a lot but enough to keep a couple of pressing plants in business. Physical media will be a niche market (and probably at premium prices) but not something that will completely disappear.

I agree, but it will be an increasingly niche market. I was being a little facetious, but there's no denying the generational shift that's coming. For an old fart like me, I loved buying and adding LP's and cassette tapes to my collection when I was a teenager (which still occupy several bookshelves in my library, along with many shelves of books and media drawers full of CDs, SACDs, DVD-As, DVDs, and BDs). I've converted almost everything except the books to digital format, and I'm not buying new books. Oh, and I almost forgot about the many boxes of photo prints and slides I still have tucked away in a closet, sitting next to the slide projector. tongue.gif

For my kids and their friends, they couldn't care less about collecting such stuff as long as they have relatively immediate access to digital content on a hard drive or via downloading or streaming.

Obviously, optical drives won't disappear in the next few years, but I'm sure Oppo realizes that the future is streaming and digital download delivery.
Cla55clown's Avatar Cla55clown 03:04 PM 02-10-2014
Quote:

Can MOG be added to the list of online sources of music?

MOG is no more. It has been bought out and replaced by Beats Music [rolls eyes]. I was a MOG lover too.
wse's Avatar wse 09:49 PM 02-10-2014
It would be really cool if OPPO could have a similar interface as KALEIDESCAPE biggrin.gif
rakosnicek's Avatar rakosnicek 05:42 AM 02-11-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

It would be really cool if OPPO could have a similar interface as KALEIDESCAPE biggrin.gif

At present, XBMC is the closest that you'll get.

Some distance behind that is the Oppo "Media Control" App for the iPad which presents directories of content that the Oppo BDP-10X series can see in a very different way to the usual method you see on TV.
boe's Avatar boe 11:13 PM 02-12-2014
Quote:

At present, XBMC is the closest that you'll get.

Some distance behind that is the Oppo "Media Control" App for the iPad which presents directories of content that the Oppo BDP-10X series can see in a very different way to the usual method you see on TV.

Does XBMC improve browsing your media on the Oppo? There are plenty of programs such as MediaBrowser3 or PLEX but that doesn't help unless you have a HTPC to go with your media server.
LairdWilliams's Avatar LairdWilliams 06:49 AM 02-13-2014
Quote:

Does XBMC improve browsing your media on the Oppo? There are plenty of programs such as MediaBrowser3 or PLEX but that doesn't help unless you have a HTPC to go with your media server.
XBMC needs an HTPC too.

The best browsing/searching/playback experience I have had with the Oppo (103 in my case) is running JRiver Media Center 19 on a Windows box and turning on its DLNA capabilities. This means that the computer only needs to be connected to the network, and does not need to be an HTPC. Then I run JRemote on an iPad, which gives a great experience browsing/playing media that is made available from the server. This can then be "pushed" to the Oppo so that it is the Oppo that does the actual playback. The additional nice side-effect of this is that you don't have to have the TV turned in if all you are doing is listening to music. And the iPad is VASTLY superior to using ANY candy bar remote, since it is not confined to the brain-dead "LURDS" (Left-Up-Right-Down-Select) style of user input.

You can do something similar with Plex, although the iPad remote/control point is not quite as robust feature and reliability-wise. You can also use other DLNA servers (OShare, Twonky, etc.), even the ones included in a NAS, and then use a "Generic" DLNA control point to do something similar. While that is yet another step down from Plex and JRMC, it is still vastly superior to using the left-up-right-down-select keys on a candy bar remote for navigation and control.

If, however, you are stuck and really need to use the candy bar remote and the on-screen display, then I certainly agree that a more XBMC or Kaleidescape-like interface would be great. But with a candy bar remote, the user interaction would still suck compared to what you can do on a tablet or touchscreen smartphone.
boe's Avatar boe 07:42 AM 02-13-2014
Thanks. I think I'll wait to see what Oppo offers in the 113 and if they haven't made a significant upgrade to the streaming menu, I'll build a HTPC. Ideally I'd only need the BR player but when you have thousands of movies, it needs a better menu system than the current Oppo. It needs to be shown on the big screen so everyone can have some input. The ipad idea is OK if it is just 1 person choosing but the bigscreen menu choice is nice for a group of friends or family.
dnoonie's Avatar dnoonie 06:03 PM 02-13-2014
Quote:

Thanks. I think I'll wait to see what Oppo offers in the 113 and if they haven't made a significant upgrade to the streaming menu, I'll build a HTPC. Ideally I'd only need the BR player but when you have thousands of movies, it needs a better menu system than the current Oppo. It needs to be shown on the big screen so everyone can have some input. The ipad idea is OK if it is just 1 person choosing but the bigscreen menu choice is nice for a group of friends or family.

Can't you just connect your iPad to the TV?  I've connected my cheep Android to my TV, not sure what video outputs the iPad has.  Does anyone know?  Could even conceivably PIP content and iPad side by side.

steveting99's Avatar steveting99 07:20 PM 02-13-2014
For the hardware internals, would like to see Oppo implement the newest and greatest 8-core MediaTek processor. How Oppo implements the big.LITTLE architecture of ARM into a feature rich pre-pro would be an interesting idea.
Smarty-pants's Avatar Smarty-pants 07:40 PM 02-13-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveting99 View Post

For the hardware internals, would like to see Oppo implement the newest and greatest 8-core MediaTek processor. How Oppo implements the big.LITTLE architecture of ARM into a feature rich pre-pro would be an interesting idea.
That would definitely be interesting.
rakosnicek's Avatar rakosnicek 07:18 AM 02-14-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by LairdWilliams View Post

XBMC needs an HTPC too.

The best browsing/searching/playback experience I have had with the Oppo (103 in my case) is running JRiver Media Center 19 on a Windows box and turning on its DLNA capabilities. This means that the computer only needs to be connected to the network, and does not need to be an HTPC. Then I run JRemote on an iPad, which gives a great experience browsing/playing media that is made available from the server. This can then be "pushed" to the Oppo so that it is the Oppo that does the actual playback. The additional nice side-effect of this is that you don't have to have the TV turned in if all you are doing is listening to music. And the iPad is VASTLY superior to using ANY candy bar remote, since it is not confined to the brain-dead "LURDS" (Left-Up-Right-Down-Select) style of user input.
If, however, you are stuck and really need to use the candy bar remote and the on-screen display, then I certainly agree that a more XBMC or Kaleidescape-like interface would be great. But with a candy bar remote, the user interaction would still suck compared to what you can do on a tablet or touchscreen smartphone.

My goal is to have a NAS for media storage (audio, video), something like a QNAP and then use a really small HTPC (latest Intel NUC comes to mind) as the HTPC in the same room as the TV.

The Intel NUC can support XBMC or RJMC and connect to the QNAP via either SMB or DLNA to access content stored on the QNAP. This lets me put the noisy hard drives in a room far away from the TV without needing to run HDMI cables over long distances. The newest Intel NUC is fanless, has a IR remote thing in the front and has enough CPU to play back 1080p content with ease.
LairdWilliams's Avatar LairdWilliams 08:51 AM 02-14-2014
Quote:

My goal is to have a NAS for media storage (audio, video), something like a QNAP and then use a really small HTPC (latest Intel NUC comes to mind) as the HTPC in the same room as the TV.

The Intel NUC can support XBMC or RJMC and connect to the QNAP via either SMB or DLNA to access content stored on the QNAP. This lets me put the noisy hard drives in a room far away from the TV without needing to run HDMI cables over long distances. The newest Intel NUC is fanless, has a IR remote thing in the front and has enough CPU to play back 1080p content with ease.
The NUCs and the BRIX units look like fantastic little PCs. Drop XBMC on there with access to a big NAS (preferably via ethernet, if you can pull it off) with a wireless keyboard and mouse/touchpad and I bet you'd love it. Am thinking of doing something like that for my commuting apartment (I work about 250 miles from my home these days).
Theresa's Avatar Theresa 10:53 AM 02-22-2014
The Brix Pro is very attractive to me. I don't play games but do a considerable amount of ripping. It would require some big USB3 drives but I've already got them. Iris Pro graphics would certainly be good enough for me.
Theresa's Avatar Theresa 06:40 AM 02-25-2014
The fan though is a deal breaker for me.
darthkringle's Avatar darthkringle 09:44 AM 03-02-2014
Not sure if this has been posted but a 20hz low pass filter would be great. With the popularity of vinyl flac files emerging, this would be a VERY useful feature if using the correct slope etc. This prevents that crazy woofer movement created by some vinyl etc.
Bob Pariseau's Avatar Bob Pariseau 03:24 PM 03-02-2014
^ High pass filter. Low pass would retain only the crazy woofer movement.

Many higher end subs offer their own high pass filtering to protect against such stuff.
--Bob
steveting99's Avatar steveting99 05:55 PM 03-02-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthkringle View Post

Not sure if this has been posted but a 20hz low pass filter would be great. With the popularity of vinyl flac files emerging, this would be a VERY useful feature if using the correct slope etc. This prevents that crazy woofer movement created by some vinyl etc.

Bob mentioned HPF. Sometimes sub manufacturers refer to this as the rumble filter or infrasonic filter.
neo_2009's Avatar neo_2009 01:36 PM 03-08-2014
Quote:

What I'd like to see Oppo do is a disc-less network player that plays content from sources via the network (DLNA, SMB, etc) or direct attached storage (USB - be they thumb drives or otherwise, eSATA, etc)

But take the video decoding hardware and software from the '103, put it in a unit that doesn't have a disc unit in it ... this should reduce manufacturing cost quite substantially from both a parts and licensing perspective (it no longer needs to be a BluRay player.) Cost reductions come from no longer needing to support not only the transport (laser and all) but there's no need to design a case that is so heavy either.

I was writing this exactly same post smile.gif
A Oppo disc-less network player that plays content from sources via the network and USB, with the same processing power of the 103/113 would be the exact product i'm looking for !!!!
SeeMoreDigital's Avatar SeeMoreDigital 01:53 PM 03-08-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by neo_2009 View Post

I was writing this exactly same post smile.gif
A Oppo disc-less network player that plays content from sources via the network and USB, with the same processing power of the 103/113 would be the exact product i'm looking for !!!!
I quite like this suggestion. However, in order to keep up with the current competition such a player would have to offer DVD.iso playback with full menu support. And BRD.iso playback with at least basic menu support...
wmcclain's Avatar wmcclain 02:35 PM 03-08-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post

I quite like this suggestion. However, in order to keep up with the current competition such a player would have to offer DVD.iso playback with full menu support. And BRD.iso playback with at least basic menu support...

That will never be allowed, unless Sony and other powers start offering it in their own products.

-Bill
hawkfan's Avatar hawkfan 03:16 PM 03-08-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

That will never be allowed, unless Sony and other powers start offering it in their own products.

-Bill
Even if it's no longer a 'disc' player?
SeeMoreDigital's Avatar SeeMoreDigital 03:18 PM 03-08-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

-Bill
Quite a few Sony Blu-ray disc players still support playback of SACD-R discs. Talk about 'Pot-Kettle-Black'...

Anyway, it would be interesting to see how far Oppo could go with a dedicated 'non-disc spinning' media player. I would certainly consider buying one if it offered multiple HDMI, USB inputs and a DAC. Along with an NAS feature and a 4 line front display wink.gif
wmcclain's Avatar wmcclain 03:45 PM 03-08-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkfan View Post

Even if it's no longer a 'disc' player?

I think that would still not be allowed. If you want to keep your Blu-ray business, you can't make products that the studios don't want you to make. Call it restraint of trade, but that's reality.

Even if a company abandoned disc players, their suppliers would also have to be independent of the studios. That won't happen.

-Bill
jima4a's Avatar jima4a 04:05 PM 03-08-2014
So a music server with a disk player, best of both worlds.
Tags: Oppo , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc Bdp 105
First ... 26  27  28 29  30  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop