What features would you like in your next Oppo BR - e.g. Oppo BDP-113 and BDP-115. - Page 28 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


View Poll Results: DIRAC Live Software
Yes 53 66.25%
No 27 33.75%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
 58Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #811 of 1371 Old 02-08-2014, 10:00 PM - Thread Starter
boe
AVS Special Member
 
boe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 2,889
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 132
OK, I got to playing with streaming on my Sony TV and there is one thing I friggin LOVE about it vs. the oppo. When you pick a folder to select shows, you don't just see text (there is scrolling text beneath the show name). It would be really really nice if the next Oppo had either default thumbnails for shows or it had a preview shot -

Thumbnail


Preview

Both my TV and my Sony get their video streamed via mezzmo.

I have no doubt the people who made the Oppo could figure out how to add this feature to the next Oppo as the Oppo is a fantastic player. The truth is I stream from my PC or Netflix far more than 50% so I'd love for the streaming capabilities of this device to be every bit as impressive as the player.
boe is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #812 of 1371 Old 02-09-2014, 07:25 AM - Thread Starter
boe
AVS Special Member
 
boe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 2,889
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Even better still, a media browser client integrated for a media server would be great e.g. plex or mediabrowser.

Media Browser
just skip forward to about 37 seconds.


The closer Oppo can make their front end to kaleidescape the better - let the PC software running on the PC storing your media do the heavy lifting but make the oppo thin client leverage that power.
lanping09 likes this.
boe is online now  
post #813 of 1371 Old 02-10-2014, 04:18 AM
Senior Member
 
rakosnicek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 211
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by boe View Post

Even better still, a media browser client integrated for a media server would be great

Media Browser
...
The closer Oppo can make their front end to kaleidescape the better - let the PC software running on the PC storing your media do the heavy lifting but make the oppo thin client leverage that power.

And throw out the disc playing, along with cost and licensing issues that go with it so that smile.gif (e.g. issues with ISO files)
rakosnicek is online now  
post #814 of 1371 Old 02-10-2014, 07:25 AM - Thread Starter
boe
AVS Special Member
 
boe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 2,889
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by rakosnicek View Post

And throw out the disc playing, along with cost and licensing issues that go with it so that smile.gif (e.g. issues with ISO files)

Other than improving the playback to include 4K optical and adding HDMI 2.0 there isn't a tremendous amount more that I think Oppo needs to do on the physical side of the player - however the streaming side has a whole world of room for improvement as this seems to be the direction things are heading for many people I know.
boe is online now  
post #815 of 1371 Old 02-10-2014, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member
 
scolumbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 2,003
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by rakosnicek View Post

And throw out the disc playing, along with cost and licensing issues that go with it so that smile.gif (e.g. issues with ISO files)

+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by boe View Post

Other than improving the playback to include 4K optical and adding HDMI 2.0 there isn't a tremendous amount more that I think Oppo needs to do on the physical side of the player - however the streaming side has a whole world of room for improvement as this seems to be the direction things are heading for many people I know.

I'm not sure that in 10 years, physical media won't seem as quaint as buying a CD (or book, newspaper or magazine) is these days, even for 4K content. The teenagers in my house don't buy any of that antiquated stuff, even school books are now on their iPads.

Downloadable content playback and streaming 4K is where Oppo should focus IMO.
scolumbo is offline  
post #816 of 1371 Old 02-10-2014, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member
 
JazzGuyy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Oro Valley AZ
Posts: 2,818
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Maybe. But there will always be those folks who want something physical. Just like there are still people buying LPs, not a lot but enough to keep a couple of pressing plants in business. Physical media will be a niche market (and probably at premium prices) but not something that will completely disappear.

JazzGuyy is offline  
post #817 of 1371 Old 02-10-2014, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member
 
scolumbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 2,003
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGuyy View Post

Maybe. But there will always be those folks who want something physical. Just like there are still people buying LPs, not a lot but enough to keep a couple of pressing plants in business. Physical media will be a niche market (and probably at premium prices) but not something that will completely disappear.

I agree, but it will be an increasingly niche market. I was being a little facetious, but there's no denying the generational shift that's coming. For an old fart like me, I loved buying and adding LP's and cassette tapes to my collection when I was a teenager (which still occupy several bookshelves in my library, along with many shelves of books and media drawers full of CDs, SACDs, DVD-As, DVDs, and BDs). I've converted almost everything except the books to digital format, and I'm not buying new books. Oh, and I almost forgot about the many boxes of photo prints and slides I still have tucked away in a closet, sitting next to the slide projector. tongue.gif

For my kids and their friends, they couldn't care less about collecting such stuff as long as they have relatively immediate access to digital content on a hard drive or via downloading or streaming.

Obviously, optical drives won't disappear in the next few years, but I'm sure Oppo realizes that the future is streaming and digital download delivery.
scolumbo is offline  
post #818 of 1371 Old 02-10-2014, 02:04 PM
Senior Member
 
Cla55clown's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Durham, North Carolina
Posts: 227
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by rakosnicek View Post

Can MOG be added to the list of online sources of music?

MOG is no more. It has been bought out and replaced by Beats Music [rolls eyes]. I was a MOG lover too.
Cla55clown is online now  
post #819 of 1371 Old 02-10-2014, 08:49 PM
wse
AVS Special Member
 
wse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 7,287
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked: 423
It would be really cool if OPPO could have a similar interface as KALEIDESCAPE biggrin.gif
wse is offline  
post #820 of 1371 Old 02-11-2014, 04:42 AM
Senior Member
 
rakosnicek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 211
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

It would be really cool if OPPO could have a similar interface as KALEIDESCAPE biggrin.gif

At present, XBMC is the closest that you'll get.

Some distance behind that is the Oppo "Media Control" App for the iPad which presents directories of content that the Oppo BDP-10X series can see in a very different way to the usual method you see on TV.
rakosnicek is online now  
post #821 of 1371 Old 02-12-2014, 10:13 PM - Thread Starter
boe
AVS Special Member
 
boe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 2,889
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by rakosnicek View Post

At present, XBMC is the closest that you'll get.

Some distance behind that is the Oppo "Media Control" App for the iPad which presents directories of content that the Oppo BDP-10X series can see in a very different way to the usual method you see on TV.

Does XBMC improve browsing your media on the Oppo? There are plenty of programs such as MediaBrowser3 or PLEX but that doesn't help unless you have a HTPC to go with your media server.
boe is online now  
post #822 of 1371 Old 02-13-2014, 05:49 AM
Senior Member
 
LairdWilliams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Raleigh, NC, USA
Posts: 404
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by boe View Post

Does XBMC improve browsing your media on the Oppo? There are plenty of programs such as MediaBrowser3 or PLEX but that doesn't help unless you have a HTPC to go with your media server.
XBMC needs an HTPC too.

The best browsing/searching/playback experience I have had with the Oppo (103 in my case) is running JRiver Media Center 19 on a Windows box and turning on its DLNA capabilities. This means that the computer only needs to be connected to the network, and does not need to be an HTPC. Then I run JRemote on an iPad, which gives a great experience browsing/playing media that is made available from the server. This can then be "pushed" to the Oppo so that it is the Oppo that does the actual playback. The additional nice side-effect of this is that you don't have to have the TV turned in if all you are doing is listening to music. And the iPad is VASTLY superior to using ANY candy bar remote, since it is not confined to the brain-dead "LURDS" (Left-Up-Right-Down-Select) style of user input.

You can do something similar with Plex, although the iPad remote/control point is not quite as robust feature and reliability-wise. You can also use other DLNA servers (OShare, Twonky, etc.), even the ones included in a NAS, and then use a "Generic" DLNA control point to do something similar. While that is yet another step down from Plex and JRMC, it is still vastly superior to using the left-up-right-down-select keys on a candy bar remote for navigation and control.

If, however, you are stuck and really need to use the candy bar remote and the on-screen display, then I certainly agree that a more XBMC or Kaleidescape-like interface would be great. But with a candy bar remote, the user interaction would still suck compared to what you can do on a tablet or touchscreen smartphone.
boe likes this.

Display: Panasonic P60UT50 (Plasma)
Speakers: (4) Monitor Audio Silver 9i (Front and Surround), (1) Monitor Audio Silver 12i (Center), (4) Monitor Audio Silver 4i (Rear and Wide), (2) Aperion Audio Bravus II 8d (Subwoofers)
Receiver: Pioneer Elite SC-87 AVR (9.2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103, Roku 3, Cable...
LairdWilliams is online now  
post #823 of 1371 Old 02-13-2014, 06:42 AM - Thread Starter
boe
AVS Special Member
 
boe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 2,889
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Thanks. I think I'll wait to see what Oppo offers in the 113 and if they haven't made a significant upgrade to the streaming menu, I'll build a HTPC. Ideally I'd only need the BR player but when you have thousands of movies, it needs a better menu system than the current Oppo. It needs to be shown on the big screen so everyone can have some input. The ipad idea is OK if it is just 1 person choosing but the bigscreen menu choice is nice for a group of friends or family.
boe is online now  
post #824 of 1371 Old 02-13-2014, 05:03 PM
Senior Member
 
dnoonie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Seattle, WA area
Posts: 383
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by boe View Post

Thanks. I think I'll wait to see what Oppo offers in the 113 and if they haven't made a significant upgrade to the streaming menu, I'll build a HTPC. Ideally I'd only need the BR player but when you have thousands of movies, it needs a better menu system than the current Oppo. It needs to be shown on the big screen so everyone can have some input. The ipad idea is OK if it is just 1 person choosing but the bigscreen menu choice is nice for a group of friends or family.


Can't you just connect your iPad to the TV?  I've connected my cheep Android to my TV, not sure what video outputs the iPad has.  Does anyone know?  Could even conceivably PIP content and iPad side by side.

dnoonie is offline  
post #825 of 1371 Old 02-13-2014, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member
 
steveting99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 1,471
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 712 Post(s)
Liked: 215
For the hardware internals, would like to see Oppo implement the newest and greatest 8-core MediaTek processor. How Oppo implements the big.LITTLE architecture of ARM into a feature rich pre-pro would be an interesting idea.

Maranatz SR-7009, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, LG LW6500, aTV, WDTV Live, Harmony 650 remote, KEF E301, MiniDSP(2x4), Rythmik 2xF12G+2xF8(on order), Emotiva 2xXPA-5 Gen2 (on order)
steveting99 is offline  
post #826 of 1371 Old 02-13-2014, 06:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Smarty-pants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 16,659
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveting99 View Post

For the hardware internals, would like to see Oppo implement the newest and greatest 8-core MediaTek processor. How Oppo implements the big.LITTLE architecture of ARM into a feature rich pre-pro would be an interesting idea.
That would definitely be interesting.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
Smarty-pants is offline  
post #827 of 1371 Old 02-14-2014, 06:18 AM
Senior Member
 
rakosnicek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 211
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by LairdWilliams View Post

XBMC needs an HTPC too.

The best browsing/searching/playback experience I have had with the Oppo (103 in my case) is running JRiver Media Center 19 on a Windows box and turning on its DLNA capabilities. This means that the computer only needs to be connected to the network, and does not need to be an HTPC. Then I run JRemote on an iPad, which gives a great experience browsing/playing media that is made available from the server. This can then be "pushed" to the Oppo so that it is the Oppo that does the actual playback. The additional nice side-effect of this is that you don't have to have the TV turned in if all you are doing is listening to music. And the iPad is VASTLY superior to using ANY candy bar remote, since it is not confined to the brain-dead "LURDS" (Left-Up-Right-Down-Select) style of user input.
...
If, however, you are stuck and really need to use the candy bar remote and the on-screen display, then I certainly agree that a more XBMC or Kaleidescape-like interface would be great. But with a candy bar remote, the user interaction would still suck compared to what you can do on a tablet or touchscreen smartphone.

My goal is to have a NAS for media storage (audio, video), something like a QNAP and then use a really small HTPC (latest Intel NUC comes to mind) as the HTPC in the same room as the TV.

The Intel NUC can support XBMC or RJMC and connect to the QNAP via either SMB or DLNA to access content stored on the QNAP. This lets me put the noisy hard drives in a room far away from the TV without needing to run HDMI cables over long distances. The newest Intel NUC is fanless, has a IR remote thing in the front and has enough CPU to play back 1080p content with ease.
rakosnicek is online now  
post #828 of 1371 Old 02-14-2014, 07:51 AM
Senior Member
 
LairdWilliams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Raleigh, NC, USA
Posts: 404
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by rakosnicek View Post

My goal is to have a NAS for media storage (audio, video), something like a QNAP and then use a really small HTPC (latest Intel NUC comes to mind) as the HTPC in the same room as the TV.

The Intel NUC can support XBMC or RJMC and connect to the QNAP via either SMB or DLNA to access content stored on the QNAP. This lets me put the noisy hard drives in a room far away from the TV without needing to run HDMI cables over long distances. The newest Intel NUC is fanless, has a IR remote thing in the front and has enough CPU to play back 1080p content with ease.
The NUCs and the BRIX units look like fantastic little PCs. Drop XBMC on there with access to a big NAS (preferably via ethernet, if you can pull it off) with a wireless keyboard and mouse/touchpad and I bet you'd love it. Am thinking of doing something like that for my commuting apartment (I work about 250 miles from my home these days).

Display: Panasonic P60UT50 (Plasma)
Speakers: (4) Monitor Audio Silver 9i (Front and Surround), (1) Monitor Audio Silver 12i (Center), (4) Monitor Audio Silver 4i (Rear and Wide), (2) Aperion Audio Bravus II 8d (Subwoofers)
Receiver: Pioneer Elite SC-87 AVR (9.2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103, Roku 3, Cable...
LairdWilliams is online now  
post #829 of 1371 Old 02-22-2014, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Theresa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,430
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
The Brix Pro is very attractive to me. I don't play games but do a considerable amount of ripping. It would require some big USB3 drives but I've already got them. Iris Pro graphics would certainly be good enough for me.
Theresa is offline  
post #830 of 1371 Old 02-25-2014, 05:40 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Theresa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,430
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
The fan though is a deal breaker for me.
Theresa is offline  
post #831 of 1371 Old 03-02-2014, 08:44 AM
Member
 
darthkringle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Austin, Tx
Posts: 74
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Not sure if this has been posted but a 20hz low pass filter would be great. With the popularity of vinyl flac files emerging, this would be a VERY useful feature if using the correct slope etc. This prevents that crazy woofer movement created by some vinyl etc.
darthkringle is offline  
post #832 of 1371 Old 03-02-2014, 02:24 PM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 28,507
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked: 1115
^ High pass filter. Low pass would retain only the crazy woofer movement.

Many higher end subs offer their own high pass filtering to protect against such stuff.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Bob Pariseau is offline  
post #833 of 1371 Old 03-02-2014, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member
 
steveting99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 1,471
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 712 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthkringle View Post

Not sure if this has been posted but a 20hz low pass filter would be great. With the popularity of vinyl flac files emerging, this would be a VERY useful feature if using the correct slope etc. This prevents that crazy woofer movement created by some vinyl etc.

Bob mentioned HPF. Sometimes sub manufacturers refer to this as the rumble filter or infrasonic filter.

Maranatz SR-7009, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, LG LW6500, aTV, WDTV Live, Harmony 650 remote, KEF E301, MiniDSP(2x4), Rythmik 2xF12G+2xF8(on order), Emotiva 2xXPA-5 Gen2 (on order)
steveting99 is offline  
post #834 of 1371 Old 03-08-2014, 12:36 PM
Member
 
neo_2009's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 155
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by rakosnicek View Post

What I'd like to see Oppo do is a disc-less network player that plays content from sources via the network (DLNA, SMB, etc) or direct attached storage (USB - be they thumb drives or otherwise, eSATA, etc)


But take the video decoding hardware and software from the '103, put it in a unit that doesn't have a disc unit in it ... this should reduce manufacturing cost quite substantially from both a parts and licensing perspective (it no longer needs to be a BluRay player.) Cost reductions come from no longer needing to support not only the transport (laser and all) but there's no need to design a case that is so heavy either.

I was writing this exactly same post smile.gif
A Oppo disc-less network player that plays content from sources via the network and USB, with the same processing power of the 103/113 would be the exact product i'm looking for !!!!
neo_2009 is offline  
post #835 of 1371 Old 03-08-2014, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member
 
SeeMoreDigital's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Notts, UK
Posts: 2,040
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by neo_2009 View Post

I was writing this exactly same post smile.gif
A Oppo disc-less network player that plays content from sources via the network and USB, with the same processing power of the 103/113 would be the exact product i'm looking for !!!!
I quite like this suggestion. However, in order to keep up with the current competition such a player would have to offer DVD.iso playback with full menu support. And BRD.iso playback with at least basic menu support...

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
SeeMoreDigital is offline  
post #836 of 1371 Old 03-08-2014, 01:35 PM
One-Man Content Creator
 
wmcclain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 18,333
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked: 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post

I quite like this suggestion. However, in order to keep up with the current competition such a player would have to offer DVD.iso playback with full menu support. And BRD.iso playback with at least basic menu support...

That will never be allowed, unless Sony and other powers start offering it in their own products.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
wmcclain is offline  
post #837 of 1371 Old 03-08-2014, 02:16 PM
Member
 
hawkfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 199
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

That will never be allowed, unless Sony and other powers start offering it in their own products.

-Bill
Even if it's no longer a 'disc' player?
hawkfan is offline  
post #838 of 1371 Old 03-08-2014, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member
 
SeeMoreDigital's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Notts, UK
Posts: 2,040
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

That will never be allowed, unless Sony and other powers start offering it in their own products.

-Bill
Quite a few Sony Blu-ray disc players still support playback of SACD-R discs. Talk about 'Pot-Kettle-Black'...

Anyway, it would be interesting to see how far Oppo could go with a dedicated 'non-disc spinning' media player. I would certainly consider buying one if it offered multiple HDMI, USB inputs and a DAC. Along with an NAS feature and a 4 line front display wink.gif
hawkfan likes this.

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
SeeMoreDigital is offline  
post #839 of 1371 Old 03-08-2014, 02:45 PM
One-Man Content Creator
 
wmcclain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 18,333
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked: 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkfan View Post

Even if it's no longer a 'disc' player?

I think that would still not be allowed. If you want to keep your Blu-ray business, you can't make products that the studios don't want you to make. Call it restraint of trade, but that's reality.

Even if a company abandoned disc players, their suppliers would also have to be independent of the studios. That won't happen.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
wmcclain is offline  
post #840 of 1371 Old 03-08-2014, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jima4a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Southeast USA
Posts: 1,639
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 79
So a music server with a disk player, best of both worlds.

Main Kef: Reference 205/2 & 202/2c, Surrounds: Kef XQ40, Velodyne Optimum 12, Integra DHC 80.3, Ayre K-5xeMP, Oppo BDP-103, Bryston 4Bsst2, Parasound Halo A31. Second B&W: 685 (3), CCM618, Def Tech Powerfield 1500, Onkyo TX-NR1008, Zone 2 Klipsch AW650.
jima4a is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc Bdp 105

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off