What features would you like in your next Oppo BR - e.g. Oppo BDP-113 and BDP-115. - Page 31 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


View Poll Results: DIRAC Live Software
Yes 62 63.92%
No 35 36.08%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
 79Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #901 of 1431 Old 03-16-2014, 01:34 AM
Advanced Member
 
Phrehdd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: So Cal
Posts: 625
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by rakosnicek View Post

That's no longer necessary. As of XBMC 13.0 ("Gotham"), you'll be able to take advantage of the DLNA Renderer capabilities in the BDP-103 / BDP-105 which will mean you can use XBMC to navigate and manage your library and use the "Play Using" feature to have the Oppo play (render) the content.

If you've using Windows with the latest Windows Media Player then you should also be able to "Play To" or "Send To" the Oppo from that.

First, thanks for the info and I am interested in finding out more about the ins and outs of this option. Second, it would be nice if an XBMC menu structure was incorporated within the Oppo itself so it can run networked files and directly attached storage via USB.

I admit I am unclear how XBMC will make calls to the Oppo. If you are patient enough, could you explain the relationship between the software and needed devices/machines (for me and others interested). I have Gotham on my Mac Mini and cannot find anything that remotely (pardon the use of wording) does as you suggest. I can however see my Mac Mini via XBMC from my Oppo and see the folder/file structure list for movies which looks not much different than my Oppo looking at my NAS (where XBMC points to as well). If OSX is not the right choice, would my Linux based Mini do the trick so to speak. It is Ubuntu with XBMC.

Again thanks for the info.
Phrehdd is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #902 of 1431 Old 03-16-2014, 03:23 AM
Senior Member
 
rakosnicek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 220
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrehdd View Post

First, thanks for the info and I am interested in finding out more about the ins and outs of this option. Second, it would be nice if an XBMC menu structure was incorporated within the Oppo itself so it can run networked files and directly attached storage via USB.

I admit I am unclear how XBMC will make calls to the Oppo. If you are patient enough, could you explain the relationship between the software and needed devices/machines (for me and others interested). I have Gotham on my Mac Mini and cannot find anything that remotely (pardon the use of wording) does as you suggest. I can however see my Mac Mini via XBMC from my Oppo and see the folder/file structure list for movies which looks not much different than my Oppo looking at my NAS (where XBMC points to as well). If OSX is not the right choice, would my Linux based Mini do the trick so to speak. It is Ubuntu with XBMC.

Again thanks for the info.

If you go to "Movies" and view them by title, you then need to do a "Right Click" to bring up the "Context Menu". I don't know how to do that on Mac or other iOS devices, but on Windows, it is a "Right Click" on any movie. This brings up a menu that should have in it:

Queue Item
Play using
Play from here
Add to favourites
Movie information
Mark as watched
Manage...

If your Oppo is properly networked to your Mac Mini then "Play Using" should list "DVDPlayer (Default)" and other DLNA devices that can operate as a DLNA renderer. I see both my TV and AVR on that list (don't have the BDP-103/105), allowing me to use XBMC to send content to either of them. The Oppo BDP-103 should be here and choosing that from the "Play Using" menu should result in the Mac Mini streaming the music or video to the Oppo and it playing it locally.
rakosnicek is offline  
post #903 of 1431 Old 03-16-2014, 04:17 AM
Advanced Member
 
Phrehdd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: So Cal
Posts: 625
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by rakosnicek View Post

If you go to "Movies" and view them by title, you then need to do a "Right Click" to bring up the "Context Menu". I don't know how to do that on Mac or other iOS devices, but on Windows, it is a "Right Click" on any movie. This brings up a menu that should have in it:

Queue Item
Play using
Play from here
Add to favourites
Movie information
Mark as watched
Manage...

If your Oppo is properly networked to your Mac Mini then "Play Using" should list "DVDPlayer (Default)" and other DLNA devices that can operate as a DLNA renderer. I see both my TV and AVR on that list (don't have the BDP-103/105), allowing me to use XBMC to send content to either of them. The Oppo BDP-103 should be here and choosing that from the "Play Using" menu should result in the Mac Mini streaming the music or video to the Oppo and it playing it locally.

I thank you very much for your help and patience. I'll give it a try later today. While it is not exactly what I thought would be a good fit on the Oppo (as it requires another device in the mix) it certainly is a good step forward. Much thanks again! (I should say I played a local DVD from my Mac Mini and it did work. However a high rez file (m2ts format) failed.) I'll have to hit the XBMC forums to find out more.
Phrehdd is online now  
post #904 of 1431 Old 03-16-2014, 08:22 AM
wse
AVS Special Member
 
wse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 7,688
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked: 511
I want an OPPO that plays shiny discs, I have over 700 Blu Ray movies, 200 SACDS until we can copy legal your collections to hard drive with out having to buy a $20,000 Kaleidescape then the disc players are needed. Yes I also have 2Terabyte of music from CD in lossless format. biggrin.gif
wse is offline  
post #905 of 1431 Old 03-16-2014, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter
boe
AVS Special Member
 
boe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 2,964
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

I want an OPPO that plays shiny discs, I have over 700 Blu Ray movies, 200 SACDS until we can copy legal your collections to hard drive with out having to buy a $20,000 Kaleidescape then the disc players are needed. Yes I also have 2Terabyte of music from CD in lossless format. biggrin.gif

I'm not trying to start anything but I'm genuinely curious so please let me know your thoughts. I bought a TON of BRs and DVDs over the years. I'm using MakeMKV to make backup copies to my hard discs. I have zero feeling of guilt by making copies of movies I've purchased. I feel zero guilt when removing my mattress tag. Is it guilt or is it a feeling you should obey the letter of the law or what prevents you from using a program like bytecopy or makemkv for backing up your collection?

I admit, I would feel guilty posting that file on ********** but don't have any guilt in making a copy of myself.
Styln likes this.
boe is online now  
post #906 of 1431 Old 03-16-2014, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member
 
JazzGuyy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Oro Valley AZ
Posts: 2,865
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 123
It is not against the law to remove mattress and pillow tags once you have purchased them.

And what would you have one do with original discs once burned to a drive?

JazzGuyy is online now  
post #907 of 1431 Old 03-16-2014, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter
boe
AVS Special Member
 
boe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 2,964
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGuyy View Post

It is not against the law to remove mattress and pillow tags once you have purchased them.

And what would you have one do with original discs once burned to a drive?
I'll probably keep it in storage. Who knows if something significant happened even though I back up my server, it never hurts to have a second backup.
boe is online now  
post #908 of 1431 Old 03-16-2014, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Styln's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Silicon Valley, CA
Posts: 1,157
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I'd like to see an AptX receiver as a selectable input in the next Oppo streamer, er player wink.gif

http://www.csr.com/products/60/aptx
http://www.aptx.com/products/browse/brands

Styln
Styln is offline  
post #909 of 1431 Old 03-16-2014, 04:26 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group
 
gsr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 8,097
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by boe View Post

I'm not trying to start anything but I'm genuinely curious so please let me know your thoughts. I bought a TON of BRs and DVDs over the years. I'm using MakeMKV to make backup copies to my hard discs. I have zero feeling of guilt by making copies of movies I've purchased. I feel zero guilt when removing my mattress tag. Is it guilt or is it a feeling you should obey the letter of the law or what prevents you from using a program like bytecopy or makemkv for backing up your collection?

I admit, I would feel guilty posting that file on ********** but don't have any guilt in making a copy of myself.
I have no guilt making copies for myself either. I recently purchased a SACD capable Playstation 3 with appropriate firmware so I could also backup my SACD's (it's incredibly simple to do). BUT strictly speaking, it's illegal. You and I both know that nobody is getting hurt when we purchase a legitimate copy of a CD, Bluray, SACD, etc., rip it to an appropriate file format and then use that file from that point on. But I would certainly feel (a bit) better about it if the laws changed and made it legal to make backups strictly for our personal use.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGuyy View Post

And what would you have one do with original discs once burned to a drive?
Store them somewhere. If you throw them away, give them away, or sell them, you'd have to delete the ripped copies too - otherwise, there's no question that the copies would be illegal at that point. I've seen listings on ebay from people who make comments in the item description along the lines of "I ripped this and no longer need the original disc" - I just shake my head when I see that.
gsr is offline  
post #910 of 1431 Old 03-16-2014, 05:37 PM
wse
AVS Special Member
 
wse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 7,688
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

I have no guilt making copies for myself either. I recently purchased a SACD capable Playstation 3 with appropriate firmware so I could also backup my SACD's (it's incredibly simple to do). BUT strictly speaking, it's illegal. You and I both know that nobody is getting hurt when we purchase a legitimate copy of a CD, Bluray, SACD, etc., rip it to an appropriate file format and then use that file from that point on. But I would certainly feel (a bit) better about it if the laws changed and made it legal to make backups strictly for our personal use.
Store them somewhere. If you throw them away, give them away, or sell them, you'd have to delete the ripped copies too - otherwise, there's no question that the copies would be illegal at that point. I've seen listings on ebay from people who make comments in the item description along the lines of "I ripped this and no longer need the original disc" - I just shake my head when I see that.

Where do you get that ?
wse is offline  
post #911 of 1431 Old 03-16-2014, 05:50 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group
 
gsr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 8,097
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

Where do you get that ?
Get what? The PS3 capable of ripping SACD's? Take a look at the Computer Audiophile forum.
gsr is offline  
post #912 of 1431 Old 03-16-2014, 08:24 PM
wse
AVS Special Member
 
wse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 7,688
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

Get what? The PS3 capable of ripping SACD's? Take a look at the Computer Audiophile forum.

Yes the PS3 SACD ripper biggrin.gif
wse is offline  
post #913 of 1431 Old 03-16-2014, 09:43 PM - Thread Starter
boe
AVS Special Member
 
boe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 2,964
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

Store them somewhere..

The strange thing for me is that I'll probably just throw away(recycle) a TON of cases. I'll probably be able to fit something the size of a china cabinet into one large drawer once I remove all the cases.
boe is online now  
post #914 of 1431 Old 03-17-2014, 01:45 AM
Senior Member
 
rakosnicek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 220
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

I have no guilt making copies for myself either. I recently purchased a SACD capable Playstation 3 with appropriate firmware so I could also backup my SACD's (it's incredibly simple to do). BUT strictly speaking, it's illegal. You and I both know that nobody is getting hurt when we purchase a legitimate copy of a CD, Bluray, SACD, etc., rip it to an appropriate file format and then use that file from that point on.

But I would certainly feel (a bit) better about it if the laws changed and made it legal to make backups strictly for our personal use.

Or the industry catches up. For the most part, the industry appears to have reconciled that people today want music in a format that they can use on computers (MP3). The market for DSD downloads is still somewhat nascent but again, it is a recognition by the audio industry that people want content in a format that doesn't involve physical discs and they want it in a format that does not include DRM.

How long it takes before video content is included remains to be seen and I suspect that the challenge there will be that you've got all these companies wanting to sell you instant access to movies (cable companies, ISPs, etc) that this will be a much tougher realisation. Selling music via downloads doesn't threaten the revenue streams of powerful lobby groups such as those behind the cable industry, etc.
rakosnicek is offline  
post #915 of 1431 Old 04-01-2014, 01:25 AM
Member
 
kristoffer77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 134
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Is there any chance of Oppo making a cheaper, sub 300 dollar, player? smile.gif
kristoffer77 is offline  
post #916 of 1431 Old 04-01-2014, 04:26 AM
One-Man Content Creator
 
wmcclain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 18,582
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1125 Post(s)
Liked: 537
They had the BDP-80, which was a fine player, but wasn't offered for very long.

I suspect the problem is economics: what is the margin on a cheap player, and how many million do you have to sell to cover salaries? Big companies can do it, but small companies can't.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
wmcclain is online now  
post #917 of 1431 Old 04-01-2014, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member
 
hernanu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Boston Suburbs
Posts: 3,151
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 698
I snapped one of those up for my parents when I was setting up their system (replaced a Bose Wave Radio... don't get me started), it still is chugging away, works great for music, etc.

My mom loves music on it, has several DVD-A's, SACD's. They have had no problems with it.
hernanu is offline  
post #918 of 1431 Old 04-02-2014, 06:07 AM
Member
 
kimg1453's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 136
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 72
The topic of physical media vs streaming/download keeps popping up in a multitude of forums and article. I indicated in previous posts that we needed to support physical media for the best presentation and avid collectors. And I was only pointing out that player manufactures such as OPPO needed to stay on track with the core use of the players for blu-ray performance and less on every possible APP that comes along. It's causing more issues than helping.

I thought I would post the following from this morning:

"According to new data released by Home Media Research, for the week ended March 22, 2014, sales of Blu-ray discs generated $101.98 million, which is 42.2% of total disc sales revenue. The total number of Blu-ray units sold during the period was 5.21 million, amounting to 31.3% of total disc unit sales.

The impressive numbers for physical media, and Blu-ray in particular, were driven by the Oscar winning animated film Frozen. According to Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment, first-day sales of Chris Buck and Jennifer Lee's film on Blu-ray and DVDs reached 3.2 million units. Amazon also announced that Frozen became its best-selling kids' movie of all time on Blu-ray and DVD.

According to Home Media Magazine, the overall tally represents only the 10th time Blu-ray revenue has crossed $100 million in a single week, and the first time it has done so without the boost of a holiday shopping season."

This should give some comfort and assurances that physical media is not going anywhere for a long time regardless of what the naysayers try to spin. I for one am thankful for that.
kimg1453 is offline  
post #919 of 1431 Old 04-02-2014, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter
boe
AVS Special Member
 
boe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 2,964
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked: 160
I would LOVE to be able to have it be able to find my movies via voice from my thousands of streamed videos - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9J8ELom0vQ here's another link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVo0DfCA3eM
boe is online now  
post #920 of 1431 Old 04-03-2014, 01:43 AM
AVS Special Member
 
SeeMoreDigital's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Notts, UK
Posts: 2,106
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Has anyone suggested offering the ability to change the audio & video settings for each HDMI input (like many TV's do nowadays)?

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
SeeMoreDigital is online now  
post #921 of 1431 Old 04-06-2014, 07:16 AM
Senior Member
 
rakosnicek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 220
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 20
For those living in England (maybe UK too?):

http://blogs.which.co.uk/technology/mp3-players/why-its-no-longer-illegal-to-backup-your-music-collection/

I would comment further but that's not the purpose of this thread, so that's simply as an FYI.
rakosnicek is offline  
post #922 of 1431 Old 04-08-2014, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter
boe
AVS Special Member
 
boe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 2,964
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked: 160
I just posted what I imagine will be one of the last feature requests for the next Oppo before they are in production. Oppo, feel free to ship me a prototype and I'll be thrilled to beta test it for you! smile.gif
boe is online now  
post #923 of 1431 Old 04-08-2014, 01:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Smarty-pants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 16,700
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by boe View Post

I just posted what I imagine will be one of the last feature requests for the next Oppo before they are in production. Oppo, feel free to ship me a prototype and I'll be thrilled to beta test it for you! smile.gif

huh? posted where? what makes you think they are close to having a player in production?
they've already said they wouldn't release anything until it can be a well designed 4k media player and since hardware and software specs of that media still aren't 'concrete',
It's doubtful they will even have one out this year.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
Smarty-pants is offline  
post #924 of 1431 Old 04-08-2014, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter
boe
AVS Special Member
 
boe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 2,964
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post

huh? posted where? what makes you think they are close to having a player in production?
they've already said they wouldn't release anything until it can be a well designed 4k media player and since hardware and software specs of that media still aren't 'concrete',
It's doubtful they will even have one out this year.

My original post is always updated.

I don't think they have one ready for production yet but I'll bet they have some prototype work going on right now.

Samsung will be releasing a 4K player towards the end of this year, it is likely Oppo won't be too far behind.
boe is online now  
post #925 of 1431 Old 04-08-2014, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ehlarson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Central New Jersey
Posts: 2,241
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Don't you dare stop making disk players! Streaming media quality is the pits compared to BD, and many of us have issues like bandwidth caps.

"Nature Abhors a Vacuum Tube" -  J. R. Pierce
ehlarson is offline  
post #926 of 1431 Old 04-08-2014, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter
boe
AVS Special Member
 
boe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 2,964
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehlarson View Post

Don't you dare stop making disk players! Streaming media quality is the pits compared to BD, and many of us have issues like bandwidth caps.

Did you realize you can stream a Bluray at original quality from your computer - not using your ISP? As for your ISP, you might consider the immortal words of Bruce Springsteen about NJ - "It's a death trap, it's a suicide rap. We gotta get out while we're young".
boe is online now  
post #927 of 1431 Old 04-08-2014, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ehlarson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Central New Jersey
Posts: 2,241
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by boe View Post

Did you realize you can stream a Bluray at original quality from your computer - not using your ISP? As for your ISP, you might consider the immortal words of Bruce Springsteen about NJ - "It's a death trap, it's a suicide rap. We gotta get out while we're young".

The last thing I want to do is fool around with a computer every time my wife wants to watch a move.

As far as NJ goes, you are really out of line making a comment like that.

"Nature Abhors a Vacuum Tube" -  J. R. Pierce
ehlarson is offline  
post #928 of 1431 Old 04-08-2014, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter
boe
AVS Special Member
 
boe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 2,964
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked: 160
I didn't think you'd take me seriously about the NJ thing. There is no fiddling around with the computer - it runs as a service.
boe is online now  
post #929 of 1431 Old 04-08-2014, 05:19 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group
 
gsr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 8,097
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by boe View Post

Did you realize you can stream a Bluray at original quality from your computer - not using your ISP?
So if disk players go away, that will mean that physical Bluray discs will go away, which will mean that there won't be a way to get that Bluray onto the computer to stream. wink.gif While I do believe it will happen eventually, we aren't there yet where (legal) downloads / streaming are good enough to do away with physical media.
gsr is offline  
post #930 of 1431 Old 04-08-2014, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter
boe
AVS Special Member
 
boe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 2,964
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked: 160
I agree that physical media is better - but I'd prefer to keep them on my computer so I don't waste physical space and so they are easier to access. For my next Oppo I would like a BR player but with WAY WAY better streaming capabilities. The version after that e.g. about 3 years from now... I'm not so sure. I'll still be ripping my discs to my computer 3 years from now but they'll probably be 4K.
boe is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc Bdp 105

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off