What features would you like in your next Oppo BR - e.g. Oppo BDP-113 and BDP-115. - Page 31 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: DIRAC Live Software
Yes 23 63.89%
No 13 36.11%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-16-2014, 02:34 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by rakosnicek View Post

That's no longer necessary. As of XBMC 13.0 ("Gotham"), you'll be able to take advantage of the DLNA Renderer capabilities in the BDP-103 / BDP-105 which will mean you can use XBMC to navigate and manage your library and use the "Play Using" feature to have the Oppo play (render) the content.

If you've using Windows with the latest Windows Media Player then you should also be able to "Play To" or "Send To" the Oppo from that.

First, thanks for the info and I am interested in finding out more about the ins and outs of this option. Second, it would be nice if an XBMC menu structure was incorporated within the Oppo itself so it can run networked files and directly attached storage via USB.

I admit I am unclear how XBMC will make calls to the Oppo. If you are patient enough, could you explain the relationship between the software and needed devices/machines (for me and others interested). I have Gotham on my Mac Mini and cannot find anything that remotely (pardon the use of wording) does as you suggest. I can however see my Mac Mini via XBMC from my Oppo and see the folder/file structure list for movies which looks not much different than my Oppo looking at my NAS (where XBMC points to as well). If OSX is not the right choice, would my Linux based Mini do the trick so to speak. It is Ubuntu with XBMC.

Again thanks for the info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2014, 04:23 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrehdd View Post

First, thanks for the info and I am interested in finding out more about the ins and outs of this option. Second, it would be nice if an XBMC menu structure was incorporated within the Oppo itself so it can run networked files and directly attached storage via USB.

I admit I am unclear how XBMC will make calls to the Oppo. If you are patient enough, could you explain the relationship between the software and needed devices/machines (for me and others interested). I have Gotham on my Mac Mini and cannot find anything that remotely (pardon the use of wording) does as you suggest. I can however see my Mac Mini via XBMC from my Oppo and see the folder/file structure list for movies which looks not much different than my Oppo looking at my NAS (where XBMC points to as well). If OSX is not the right choice, would my Linux based Mini do the trick so to speak. It is Ubuntu with XBMC.

Again thanks for the info.

If you go to "Movies" and view them by title, you then need to do a "Right Click" to bring up the "Context Menu". I don't know how to do that on Mac or other iOS devices, but on Windows, it is a "Right Click" on any movie. This brings up a menu that should have in it:

Queue Item
Play using
Play from here
Add to favourites
Movie information
Mark as watched
Manage...

If your Oppo is properly networked to your Mac Mini then "Play Using" should list "DVDPlayer (Default)" and other DLNA devices that can operate as a DLNA renderer. I see both my TV and AVR on that list (don't have the BDP-103/105), allowing me to use XBMC to send content to either of them. The Oppo BDP-103 should be here and choosing that from the "Play Using" menu should result in the Mac Mini streaming the music or video to the Oppo and it playing it locally.
Old 03-16-2014, 05:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by rakosnicek View Post

If you go to "Movies" and view them by title, you then need to do a "Right Click" to bring up the "Context Menu". I don't know how to do that on Mac or other iOS devices, but on Windows, it is a "Right Click" on any movie. This brings up a menu that should have in it:

Queue Item
Play using
Play from here
Add to favourites
Movie information
Mark as watched
Manage...

If your Oppo is properly networked to your Mac Mini then "Play Using" should list "DVDPlayer (Default)" and other DLNA devices that can operate as a DLNA renderer. I see both my TV and AVR on that list (don't have the BDP-103/105), allowing me to use XBMC to send content to either of them. The Oppo BDP-103 should be here and choosing that from the "Play Using" menu should result in the Mac Mini streaming the music or video to the Oppo and it playing it locally.

I thank you very much for your help and patience. I'll give it a try later today. While it is not exactly what I thought would be a good fit on the Oppo (as it requires another device in the mix) it certainly is a good step forward. Much thanks again! (I should say I played a local DVD from my Mac Mini and it did work. However a high rez file (m2ts format) failed.) I'll have to hit the XBMC forums to find out more.
Old 03-16-2014, 09:22 AM
wse
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 594 Post(s)
Liked: 385
I want an OPPO that plays shiny discs, I have over 700 Blu Ray movies, 200 SACDS until we can copy legal your collections to hard drive with out having to buy a $20,000 Kaleidescape then the disc players are needed. Yes I also have 2Terabyte of music from CD in lossless format. biggrin.gif
Old 03-16-2014, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter
boe
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

I want an OPPO that plays shiny discs, I have over 700 Blu Ray movies, 200 SACDS until we can copy legal your collections to hard drive with out having to buy a $20,000 Kaleidescape then the disc players are needed. Yes I also have 2Terabyte of music from CD in lossless format. biggrin.gif

I'm not trying to start anything but I'm genuinely curious so please let me know your thoughts. I bought a TON of BRs and DVDs over the years. I'm using MakeMKV to make backup copies to my hard discs. I have zero feeling of guilt by making copies of movies I've purchased. I feel zero guilt when removing my mattress tag. Is it guilt or is it a feeling you should obey the letter of the law or what prevents you from using a program like bytecopy or makemkv for backing up your collection?

I admit, I would feel guilty posting that file on ********** but don't have any guilt in making a copy of myself.
Styln likes this.
Old 03-16-2014, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 102
It is not against the law to remove mattress and pillow tags once you have purchased them.

And what would you have one do with original discs once burned to a drive?

Old 03-16-2014, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter
boe
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGuyy View Post

It is not against the law to remove mattress and pillow tags once you have purchased them.

I'll probably keep it in storage. Who knows if something significant happened even though I back up my server, it never hurts to have a second backup.
Old 03-16-2014, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I'd like to see an AptX receiver as a selectable input in the next Oppo streamer, er player wink.gif

http://www.csr.com/products/60/aptx
http://www.aptx.com/products/browse/brands

Styln
Old 03-16-2014, 05:26 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by boe View Post

I'm not trying to start anything but I'm genuinely curious so please let me know your thoughts. I bought a TON of BRs and DVDs over the years. I'm using MakeMKV to make backup copies to my hard discs. I have zero feeling of guilt by making copies of movies I've purchased. I feel zero guilt when removing my mattress tag. Is it guilt or is it a feeling you should obey the letter of the law or what prevents you from using a program like bytecopy or makemkv for backing up your collection?

I admit, I would feel guilty posting that file on ********** but don't have any guilt in making a copy of myself.
I have no guilt making copies for myself either. I recently purchased a SACD capable Playstation 3 with appropriate firmware so I could also backup my SACD's (it's incredibly simple to do). BUT strictly speaking, it's illegal. You and I both know that nobody is getting hurt when we purchase a legitimate copy of a CD, Bluray, SACD, etc., rip it to an appropriate file format and then use that file from that point on. But I would certainly feel (a bit) better about it if the laws changed and made it legal to make backups strictly for our personal use.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGuyy View Post

Store them somewhere. If you throw them away, give them away, or sell them, you'd have to delete the ripped copies too - otherwise, there's no question that the copies would be illegal at that point. I've seen listings on ebay from people who make comments in the item description along the lines of "I ripped this and no longer need the original disc" - I just shake my head when I see that.
Old 03-16-2014, 06:37 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

I have no guilt making copies for myself either. I recently purchased a SACD capable Playstation 3 with appropriate firmware so I could also backup my SACD's (it's incredibly simple to do). BUT strictly speaking, it's illegal. You and I both know that nobody is getting hurt when we purchase a legitimate copy of a CD, Bluray, SACD, etc., rip it to an appropriate file format and then use that file from that point on. But I would certainly feel (a bit) better about it if the laws changed and made it legal to make backups strictly for our personal use.
Store them somewhere. If you throw them away, give them away, or sell them, you'd have to delete the ripped copies too - otherwise, there's no question that the copies would be illegal at that point. I've seen listings on ebay from people who make comments in the item description along the lines of "I ripped this and no longer need the original disc" - I just shake my head when I see that.

Where do you get that ?
Old 03-16-2014, 06:50 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

Where do you get that ?
Get what? The PS3 capable of ripping SACD's? Take a look at the Computer Audiophile forum.
Old 03-16-2014, 09:24 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Get what? The PS3 capable of ripping SACD's? Take a look at the Computer Audiophile forum.

Yes the PS3 SACD ripper biggrin.gif
Old 03-16-2014, 10:43 PM - Thread Starter
boe
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Store them somewhere..

The strange thing for me is that I'll probably just throw away(recycle) a TON of cases. I'll probably be able to fit something the size of a china cabinet into one large drawer once I remove all the cases.
Old 03-17-2014, 02:45 AM

Quote:

I have no guilt making copies for myself either. I recently purchased a SACD capable Playstation 3 with appropriate firmware so I could also backup my SACD's (it's incredibly simple to do). BUT strictly speaking, it's illegal. You and I both know that nobody is getting hurt when we purchase a legitimate copy of a CD, Bluray, SACD, etc., rip it to an appropriate file format and then use that file from that point on.

But I would certainly feel (a bit) better about it if the laws changed and made it legal to make backups strictly for our personal use.

Or the industry catches up. For the most part, the industry appears to have reconciled that people today want music in a format that they can use on computers (MP3). The market for DSD downloads is still somewhat nascent but again, it is a recognition by the audio industry that people want content in a format that doesn't involve physical discs and they want it in a format that does not include DRM.

How long it takes before video content is included remains to be seen and I suspect that the challenge there will be that you've got all these companies wanting to sell you instant access to movies (cable companies, ISPs, etc) that this will be a much tougher realisation. Selling music via downloads doesn't threaten the revenue streams of powerful lobby groups such as those behind the cable industry, etc.
Old 04-01-2014, 02:25 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Is there any chance of Oppo making a cheaper, sub 300 dollar, player? smile.gif
Old 04-01-2014, 05:26 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked: 398
They had the BDP-80, which was a fine player, but wasn't offered for very long.

I suspect the problem is economics: what is the margin on a cheap player, and how many million do you have to sell to cover salaries? Big companies can do it, but small companies can't.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
Old 04-01-2014, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 346
I snapped one of those up for my parents when I was setting up their system (replaced a Bose Wave Radio... don't get me started), it still is chugging away, works great for music, etc.

My mom loves music on it, has several DVD-A's, SACD's. They have had no problems with it.
Old 04-02-2014, 07:07 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 65
The topic of physical media vs streaming/download keeps popping up in a multitude of forums and article. I indicated in previous posts that we needed to support physical media for the best presentation and avid collectors. And I was only pointing out that player manufactures such as OPPO needed to stay on track with the core use of the players for blu-ray performance and less on every possible APP that comes along. It's causing more issues than helping.

I thought I would post the following from this morning:

"According to new data released by Home Media Research, for the week ended March 22, 2014, sales of Blu-ray discs generated $101.98 million, which is 42.2% of total disc sales revenue. The total number of Blu-ray units sold during the period was 5.21 million, amounting to 31.3% of total disc unit sales.

The impressive numbers for physical media, and Blu-ray in particular, were driven by the Oscar winning animated film Frozen. According to Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment, first-day sales of Chris Buck and Jennifer Lee's film on Blu-ray and DVDs reached 3.2 million units. Amazon also announced that Frozen became its best-selling kids' movie of all time on Blu-ray and DVD.

According to Home Media Magazine, the overall tally represents only the 10th time Blu-ray revenue has crossed $100 million in a single week, and the first time it has done so without the boost of a holiday shopping season."

This should give some comfort and assurances that physical media is not going anywhere for a long time regardless of what the naysayers try to spin. I for one am thankful for that.
Old 04-02-2014, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter
boe
AVS Special Member

I would LOVE to be able to have it be able to find my movies via voice from my thousands of streamed videos - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9J8ELom0vQ here's another link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVo0DfCA3eM
Old 04-03-2014, 02:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Has anyone suggested offering the ability to change the audio & video settings for each HDMI input (like many TV's do nowadays)?

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
Old 04-06-2014, 08:16 AM

For those living in England (maybe UK too?):

http://blogs.which.co.uk/technology/mp3-players/why-its-no-longer-illegal-to-backup-your-music-collection/

I would comment further but that's not the purpose of this thread, so that's simply as an FYI.
Old 04-08-2014, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter
boe
AVS Special Member

I just posted what I imagine will be one of the last feature requests for the next Oppo before they are in production. Oppo, feel free to ship me a prototype and I'll be thrilled to beta test it for you! smile.gif
Old 04-08-2014, 02:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:

I just posted what I imagine will be one of the last feature requests for the next Oppo before they are in production. Oppo, feel free to ship me a prototype and I'll be thrilled to beta test it for you! smile.gif

huh? posted where? what makes you think they are close to having a player in production?
they've already said they wouldn't release anything until it can be a well designed 4k media player and since hardware and software specs of that media still aren't 'concrete',
It's doubtful they will even have one out this year.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
Old 04-08-2014, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter
boe
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post

huh? posted where? what makes you think they are close to having a player in production?
they've already said they wouldn't release anything until it can be a well designed 4k media player and since hardware and software specs of that media still aren't 'concrete',
It's doubtful they will even have one out this year.

My original post is always updated.

I don't think they have one ready for production yet but I'll bet they have some prototype work going on right now.

Samsung will be releasing a 4K player towards the end of this year, it is likely Oppo won't be too far behind.
Old 04-08-2014, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Don't you dare stop making disk players! Streaming media quality is the pits compared to BD, and many of us have issues like bandwidth caps.

"Nature Abhors a Vacuum Tube" -  J. R. Pierce
Old 04-08-2014, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter
boe
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehlarson View Post

Don't you dare stop making disk players! Streaming media quality is the pits compared to BD, and many of us have issues like bandwidth caps.

Did you realize you can stream a Bluray at original quality from your computer - not using your ISP? As for your ISP, you might consider the immortal words of Bruce Springsteen about NJ - "It's a death trap, it's a suicide rap. We gotta get out while we're young".
Old 04-08-2014, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

Did you realize you can stream a Bluray at original quality from your computer - not using your ISP? As for your ISP, you might consider the immortal words of Bruce Springsteen about NJ - "It's a death trap, it's a suicide rap. We gotta get out while we're young".

The last thing I want to do is fool around with a computer every time my wife wants to watch a move.

As far as NJ goes, you are really out of line making a comment like that.

"Nature Abhors a Vacuum Tube" -  J. R. Pierce
Old 04-08-2014, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter
boe
AVS Special Member

I didn't think you'd take me seriously about the NJ thing. There is no fiddling around with the computer - it runs as a service.
Old 04-08-2014, 06:19 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:

Did you realize you can stream a Bluray at original quality from your computer - not using your ISP?
So if disk players go away, that will mean that physical Bluray discs will go away, which will mean that there won't be a way to get that Bluray onto the computer to stream. wink.gif While I do believe it will happen eventually, we aren't there yet where (legal) downloads / streaming are good enough to do away with physical media.
Old 04-08-2014, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter
boe
AVS Special Member

I agree that physical media is better - but I'd prefer to keep them on my computer so I don't waste physical space and so they are easier to access. For my next Oppo I would like a BR player but with WAY WAY better streaming capabilities. The version after that e.g. about 3 years from now... I'm not so sure. I'll still be ripping my discs to my computer 3 years from now but they'll probably be 4K.

Tags
Oppo , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc Bdp 105