What features would you like in your next Oppo BR - e.g. Oppo BDP-113 and BDP-115. - Page 33 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 11Likes

post #961 of 1059 Old 06-12-2014, 10:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yes, room correction would be cool!
I think the one with pre-defined input choice could be made "easily" by new firmware.

And one more, possible with the current HW:
When browsing the SMB shares, something like "icon view" would be nice, where the "icon" would show some random screenshots, if it is a movie.
A possibility to pre-program (custom define) some buttons on the RC would be nice too. E.g. shortcut to some directory on some SMB share, etc.
Nice whishlist we have here
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #962 of 1059 Old 06-12-2014, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by podo22 View Post
Yes, room correction would be cool!
I think the one with pre-defined input choice could be made "easily" by new firmware.
Room correction per HDMI input. Out of interest, why is that necessary?

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
post #963 of 1059 Old 06-13-2014, 03:14 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
I think he meant the predefind input choice AND room correction (not together).
post #964 of 1059 Old 06-13-2014, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I don't mean to sound defeatist or negative, but since Oppo makes phones and stuff…

Do you think the 103/105D's are maybe it for blu ray players?

The proper setting for sharpness is always0.
Also my Oppo BDP-103D is region free.
That makes me awesome.
post #965 of 1059 Old 06-13-2014, 07:56 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 847
^ Two different companies, albeit with the same corporate umbrella. OPPO Digital is not the OPPO that makes cell phones.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #966 of 1059 Old 06-13-2014, 08:16 PM

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanboyz View Post
I don't mean to sound defeatist or negative, but since Oppo makes phones and stuff…

Do you think the 103/105D's are maybe it for blu ray players?
LG / Samsung make cell phones. Does that mean they wont make TV anymore?????
post #967 of 1059 Old 06-14-2014, 09:17 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharok View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
I think he meant the predefind input choice AND room correction (not together).
Yes,
Sharock is right.
post #968 of 1059 Old 06-24-2014, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter
boe
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 49
OK - let's throw in Atmos as a feature on the next BR player. http://www.engadget.com/2014/06/23/d...-living-rooms/
post #969 of 1059 Old 06-24-2014, 09:35 AM
Read the FAQ!

Why? I mean, just to collect bells and whistles?
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #970 of 1059 Old 06-24-2014, 09:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 129
^I don't think Oppo will have a choice since the "industry" is pushing it hard and now all avr/preamps will have it and players will too.
I suppose though that a player should be able to bitstream the audio to a separate decoder,
but that would also mean that users would have to invest in a very high quality avr/pre-amp with high quality DAC and analog output for analog users.
That would most definitely require a bigger investment than what something like a BDP-105 would cost.
IF Oppo were to release something with internal Atmos features, I definitely think they should offer an option of WITH or WITHOUT Atmos.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #971 of 1059 Old 06-24-2014, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter
boe
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
Why? I mean, just to collect bells and whistles?
--Bob
Do you consider DTS-MA or 5.1 just another bell and whistle?
post #972 of 1059 Old 06-24-2014, 10:24 AM
Read the FAQ!

The number of titles that could conceivably benefit from this will be limited. Forget about any music releases for example.

Even for movies, forget about anything other than popcorn, action flicks. And new ones at that. Catalog titles need not apply.

Of course any studio could release fake height channel mixes (something the original content was never intended to do), but really, what's the point in such fakery if there aren't enough home installations to make a difference in sales? You just KNOW such fabricated mixes will be slap-dash.

The quality in the height channels won't be there anyway. Good grief, satellite speakers bouncing it off the ceiling?

I'd just hope that OPPO enthusiasts could focus on stuff that makes a difference, instead of just trying to collect as many logos as can fit on the front panel.
--Bob

post #973 of 1059 Old 06-24-2014, 10:27 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boe View Post
Do you consider DTS-MA or 5.1 just another bell and whistle?
It sure was when it launched. Cast your mind back. It took quite some time before anything other than ambience was in the surrounds. Heck, originally the idea was you could get away with cheap surround speakers because they weren't expected to produce anything but a narrow band of frequencies.

Over time -- quite a lot of time actually -- that has changed. However it's still tough to get a decent 7.1 mix. And 5.1 for music is often still, well, weird.
--Bob

post #974 of 1059 Old 06-24-2014, 11:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Good grief, satellite speakers bouncing it off the ceiling?

--Bob
I find that part of the spec to be extremely odd.
Heck, my theater room specifically has rough acoustic tiles on the ceiling to keep sound from reflecting off of it.
Should I now replace it with a hard surface ceiling? ummm, no...
Of course all of that is getting beyond the topic of the thread and belongs in an Atmos thread, but I'm a little scared to go there, lol.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #975 of 1059 Old 06-24-2014, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter
boe
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The number of titles that could conceivably benefit from this will be limited. Forget about any music releases for example.

Even for movies, forget about anything other than popcorn, action flicks. And new ones at that. Catalog titles need not apply.\
--Bob
You pretty much described what I use my AVP and Oppo for 80% of the time.
post #976 of 1059 Old 06-24-2014, 11:27 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ Fortunately the claim is that Atmos home-game edition will be compatible with existing Blu-ray players so long as you use HDMI Bitstream output into a shiny new, Atmos-compatible AVR with shiny new Atmos compatible speakers. I guess we'll get to see just how well that works out.

The question, then, is whether the next OPPO player, itself, should offer to decode these tracks (into HDMI LPCM or multi-channel Analog). Personally, I'd be happy to wait to see which format (of the what is it now, six?) that are going after this same turf actually pans out in terms of a reasonable amount of content.
--Bob

post #977 of 1059 Old 06-28-2014, 05:31 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post
I find that part of the spec to be extremely odd.
Heck, my theater room specifically has rough acoustic tiles on the ceiling to keep sound from reflecting off of it.
Should I now replace it with a hard surface ceiling? ummm, no...
Of course all of that is getting beyond the topic of the thread and belongs in an Atmos thread, but I'm a little scared to go there, lol.
I agree, complete nonsense!!! My ceiling has Absorption treatment to prevent reflections. Most acoustic tiles I've specked do a good job of absorption.
post #978 of 1059 Old 07-02-2014, 05:40 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 300
I hope OPPO is listening here is my updated wish list:

Yes here is my wish list in order of priority

1) Auto EQ from either

- DIRAC http://www.dirac.se/en/technologies/.../overview.aspx
- Lyngdorf: ROOM PERFECT http://lyngdorf.com/downloads/produc...on_english.pdf

2) Dolby ATMOS 13.2 (L/C/R/SR/SL/SWR/SWL/SBR/SBL/HR1/HL1/HR2/HR2) a la Marantz AV8802

3) DTS MDA or UHD

4) Auro 3D

5) HDMi 2.0 4K passthrough

Of course including the new New Sabre DACs
post #979 of 1059 Old 07-02-2014, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter
boe
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

1) Auto EQ from either

2) Dolby ATMOS 13.2 (L/C/R/SR/SL/SWR/SWL/SBR/SBL/HR1/HL1/HR2/HR2) a la Marantz AV8802

3) DTS MDA or UHD

4) Auro 3D

5) HDMi 2.0 4K passthrough

Of course including the new New Sabre DACs

You can't have Dolby Atmos - someone here has a sound treated ceiling so anyone who wants it is wrong. And DTS MDA sounds like a new format so why would you want it?

Just Kidding. That is an excellent list - those are things I'd like too along with a whole lot more streaming functionality. For some reason there are people in the thread for what features would you want in your next oppo that don't want any new features.

Last edited by boe; 07-02-2014 at 08:23 PM.
post #980 of 1059 Old 07-02-2014, 08:31 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
You can't Dolby Atmos - someone here has a sound treated ceiling so anyone who wants it is wrong. And DTS MDA sounds like a new format so why would you want it?

Just Kidding. For some reason there are people in the thread for what features would you want in your next oppo that don't want any new features. That is an excellent list - those are things I'd like too along with a whole lot more streaming functionality.
The point that others were trying to make about Atmos is that integrating the changes required to take advantage of Atmos in an existing system are going to be problematic for a lot of people. The WAF of installing speakers on the ceiling probably isn't very good and the alternative of having speakers pointed to the ceiling is a problem if your ceiling is irregular or has absorption panels on it, etc. If enthusiasts like us aren't all over it, I just don't see the masses adopting Atmos and that doesn't bode well for success.

I do question the need to include Atmos decoding in a source component as the number of analog outputs required will be a big problem when it comes to real estate on the rear panel - just how big a player are you willing to put into your rack? How much are you willing to pay (keep in mind that all those extra analog outputs have a cost associated with them)? If I were going to modify my system for Atmos, I would want the decoding done in my surround sound processor so that all sources in my system could benefit from it. IMHO, Oppo should stick to stereo and no more than 7.1 analog outputs and let anything beyond that be handled external to the player. Adding full support for Atmos would, again IMHO, make the product too complex and expensive.

And I don't think anyone posting in this thread doesn't want any new features. The fact that we don't all agree on what should be in the next product doesn't make "me" right and "you" wrong (or vice versa), we're just expressing our opinions and everyone is entitled to have one.
post #981 of 1059 Old 07-03-2014, 04:18 AM - Thread Starter
boe
AVS Special Member

I don't think those who want ATMOS would be able to do it with analog connections. I would imagine it would have to be hdmi to your prepro. I don't even know if I'd be able to take advantage of it in the near future as that means more speakers, a different preamp etc. I just think it should probably be included within a year or two. If they have a model coming out within 9 months - then no perhaps not but if they won't have one ready for a another 18 months, then yes, probably. I'm hoping by 18 months to see a new prepro to replace my wonderful but aged Denon AVP.
post #982 of 1059 Old 07-03-2014, 04:46 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ ATMOS via HDMI Bitstream to an ATMOS-enabled AVR is supposed to work with existing Blu-ray players. I.e., no changes needed in the player. Whether that actually works well for folks we'll just have to wait and see.
--Bob

post #983 of 1059 Old 07-03-2014, 04:50 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

1) Auto EQ from either

. . . .
Obviously those won't work if you prefer to use HDMI Bitstream. Are you OK with them being limited to just Analog output? I.e., not on HDMI LPCM either? If you want to do it on HDMI LPCM you'd need to usurp the speaker processing of the AVR. For example, right now the player sends, e.g., HDMI LPCM 7.1 and the AVR does the down-mixing and Crossover processing.
--Bob

post #984 of 1059 Old 07-03-2014, 05:17 AM - Thread Starter
boe
AVS Special Member

Quote:
^ ATMOS via HDMI Bitstream to an ATMOS-enabled AVR is supposed to work with existing Blu-ray players. I.e., no changes needed in the player. Whether that actually works well for folks we'll just have to wait and see.
--Bob
Thanks - I thought Atmos via HDMI was only going to be available on some existing players.
post #985 of 1059 Old 07-03-2014, 05:29 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Thanks - I thought Atmos via HDMI was only going to be available on some existing players.
So long as the player can already output Dolby TrueHD Bitstreams then Atmos via HDMI Bitstream is supposed to work without needing any change in the player. Of course you'll get no advantage from it unless cabled to an Atmos-capable AVR with Atmos speakers attached. At least you don't also need Atmos HDMI and speaker cables or power cords.... (Oh, and you may have to change out the ceiling in your room. It's got to be the right material. And height.)

Again, we'll have to wait to see what the reality turns out to be.
--Bob

post #986 of 1059 Old 07-03-2014, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter
boe
AVS Special Member

AUUGHHG - I just went to stream Jack Ryan and a lot of the movie had Russian dialogue. My biggest hope for the next Oppo is for it to be able to play forced subtitles (for streamed media). My PC plays it so I know it is there. Frankly I wish the current 103 had a firmware fix for this but by far this is my #1 feature request as far as streaming goes. I watch a lot of sci-fi which has alien language and a lot of action/adventure/intrigue which tends to have a lot of French/Spanish/Farsi/Russian dialogue.

I'd put both my Oppo 103's up on craiglist tomorrow if they fixed that one drawback alone in the next model.
post #987 of 1059 Old 07-03-2014, 01:33 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 338
Quote:
AUUGHHG - I just went to stream Jack Ryan and a lot of the movie had Russian dialogue. My biggest hope for the next Oppo is for it to be able to play forced subtitles (for streamed media). My PC plays it so I know it is there. Frankly I wish the current 103 had a firmware fix for this but by far this is my #1 feature request as far as streaming goes. I watch a lot of sci-fi which has alien language and a lot of action/adventure/intrigue which tends to have a lot of French/Spanish/Farsi/Russian dialogue.

I'd put both my Oppo 103's up on craiglist tomorrow if they fixed that one drawback alone in the next model.
If I were as frustrated as you seem to be I'd break down and load the disc.

-Bill
post #988 of 1059 Old 07-03-2014, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter
boe
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
If I were as frustrated as you seem to be I'd break down and load the disc.

-Bill
It is sad, but true. It would be nice if I didn't have to dig each movie I want to watch out of storage. The point of putting a couple thousand movies and shows on my server is so I don't have a ton of physical space used by my collection in the house. I was just pricing out the parts for a HTPC and with the case I want, it is pretty expensive. Granted, it is still FAR less than the server I put them on but still expensive compared to the price of an Oppo. I could build a cheap HTPC for next to nothing but I don't want a loud and primitive PC, I want a well designed HTPC. If the Oppo played forced subtitles that is nearly 50% of my draw for building one. Sure a HTPC would do a LOT more than just playback subtitles the Oppo won't but that is one of the most compelling items for me.

Last edited by boe; 07-03-2014 at 01:58 PM.
post #989 of 1059 Old 07-03-2014, 08:58 PM

Liked: 1
In the next gen Oppo players, I have a few requests:

1) Keep the top shelf DACs in the --5 model
2) Add a pitch control for music listening. I would want this to be a small rotating knob on the player, not something that has to be accessed on screen via the setup menu using the remote. I want to be able to reach out and tweak it instantly. Yeah yeah yeah I know that the Oppo players have very good clocking on board, but maybe my ears and brain work on a different timescale.
3) Add a feature that is a throwback to CD players of days past - the ability to program a playlist for a music disc that is being played.
4) Add a basic web browser so that I can go to websites like Vimeo or GoPro to get videos that are better visual quality than the mass of junk on YouTube.
5) Keep Darbee, I like it!
6) Keep all the inputs! I really like that the player has coax and toslink inputs so I can feed music through the player from my digital collection on my computer.

7) This wish is something I wish the Oppo players could do, but I realize that this is not Oppo's fault, it is weak app development from the services that Oppo offers on board. I really wish that I could use a USB keyboard with YouTube, Netflix, etc to search for items quickly, rather than having to use the remote to slowly toggle in each character for a search.

JR
post #990 of 1059 Old 07-03-2014, 10:36 PM - Thread Starter
boe
AVS Special Member

I liked the idea of the more streamlined lists some of you have posted. While there are about 30 things I'd like improved on the next Oppo 113, I put in bold just the really important ones to me in the first post. People are willing to pay more for a 105 for improved audio. I'd be willing to pay more for an Oppo that could actually achieve the 7 items I have highlighted.

1. Allow for a streaming bookmark menu so you can easily and quickly go to specific folders for playback. If I'm halfway through a file on my PC, I'd like it to pick up where I left off like a DVD or Netflix do.

2. Ability to detect and display forced subs when streaming MKV files.

3. Continue to improve the speed at which the network boots/locks on to the media server so you don't have to wait so long after booting to going to your network server for media. Have the Oppo update the media list as more become available from the network source so you don't need to reboot the Oppo for an updated list.

4. Add an HDMI 2.0 out.

5. Add keys on the handheld remote for network folder shares so you can go straight to TV shows, Movies, Pictures or Music. (Let the user assign what the keys go to - e.g. 4 music locations or 3 video locations and 1 music.

6. Make fast forward and rewind even faster perhaps 3x as fast (as it currently handles) when you hold it down for 2 seconds. On playback of a large streaming file - e.g. 30GB movie (MKV) it has trouble speeding through the movie - even when connect to the server using a 1Gbit wired connection. Perhaps it needs more caching or a faster processor.

7. Support for 4K discs

Last edited by boe; 07-04-2014 at 07:50 AM.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page