What features would you like in your next Oppo BR - e.g. Oppo BDP-113 and BDP-115. - Page 33 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
View Poll Results: DIRAC Live Software
Yes 47 67.14%
No 23 32.86%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-02-2014, 12:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11

Anyone have a best guess for when Oppo may come out with a new version? looks like it was 2 years between the 93/103 etc.. and both got released to the market at the end of the year.  Is it reasonable to assume we may see something at CEDIA in September and released to the public by end of the year 2014?

I have been contemplating getting an Oppo, but would hate to get one and then a few months later the 'new' version comes out.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2014, 02:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 217
^ Not likely this year, and a big maybe on next year.
There is no need to release a new player aside from being able to add 4k media playback capabilities,
and the official specs on that format are not even finalized yet, and of course there is no commercially available 4k software.
Once those things become reality, then Oppo will develop a player around it, but until then, their current players are the bees knees.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
Old 05-02-2014, 05:34 AM - Thread Starter
boe
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForzaFrogs View Post

Anyone have a best guess for when Oppo may come out with a new version? looks like it was 2 years between the 93/103 etc.. and both got released to the market at the end of the year.  Is it reasonable to assume we may see something at CEDIA in September and released to the public by end of the year 2014?

I have been contemplating getting an Oppo, but would hate to get one and then a few months later the 'new' version comes out.

If they do, it will probably focus on streaming and have an HDMI 2.0 connection (IMHO). If they do enough with streaming, I'll probably get it.
I imagine one that plays 4K discs won't be out until Q3 or 4 next year. If they come out with one that plays 4k discs, i'll get that one two and move the streaming improved model to the bedroom.
Old 05-04-2014, 04:09 PM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 78

A large enough buffer and software options for higher quality streaming content to make up for my lack of a fast connection.

I'm pretty happy with Vudu streaming on my OPPO BDP-93 presently (I use a wired connection and I get 2 bar HDX which is reasonable with my connection speed) but if it could be better that would be awesome.  Another way could be to be able to play Vudu files over my home network off my computer, then I could use Vudu download and get the highest quality then use my OPPO to play off my computer.  Perhaps I can do this now and just don't know it.  Does someone know?

Old 05-07-2014, 09:24 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbuudo07 View Post

If they include Dirac Live - 8 channel processing and 7.1-2 XLR outputs, I would pay serious cash for it. I'd go as high as $2500.

I'll second that or something similar - no need for XLR connections in my system but if they could replicate the room correction interface offered in the Anthem 510 AVRs that would be SWEET. Likewise, more HDMI input switching is desirable.

I could also see them coming out with an all in one box.

MinMan
Old 05-07-2014, 09:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 43
The next 4k disk format.
Region free
Cinevirus free
Old 05-08-2014, 03:14 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 892 Post(s)
Liked: 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by lespurgeon View Post

The Region free
Cinevirus free

Can't be done. Not allowed.

As for 4k disc: the DRM requirement will be much heavier than currently used, not less.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
Old 05-09-2014, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter
boe
AVS Special Member

I'm starting to look forward to replacing my 103 with something new provided it has a LOT more streaming functionality than the old 103. I could build a HTPC to pull from my HT Server but I'd prefer just slapping in a simple BR player provided it could do something more like plex or some other full featured streaming app. I really need it to be able to search my streaming library, play forced subtitles and really those are the biggest two features I want for streaming although I do have a list of other streaming feature in my original post.
Old 05-09-2014, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Personally I would prefer Oppo not to rush an 'Ultra HD' capable player onto the market. It's going to be a while before the hype of HDMI 2 and HEVC stabilises!

Currently, Oppo have issued us a couple of great mature devices, that are improving with every firmware release. So there's no need to rush into anything wink.gif

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
Old 05-09-2014, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter
boe
AVS Special Member

I agree that if you have an old 1080p TV without 4K capabilities, and if you don't stream from a true media server, the old 103 BR player is fine but if you stream or have a 4K TV time is starting to pass the 103 by. I have both though and cant wait for the Oppo to catch up.
Old 05-09-2014, 04:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by boe View Post

I agree that if you have an old 1080p TV without 4K capabilities, and if you don't stream from a true media server, the old 103 BR player is fine but if you stream or have a 4K TV time is starting to pass the 103 by. I have both though and cant wait for the Oppo to catch up.

While it would be nice for Oppo to have something to output true 4k, that's just not very realistic.
I don't agree with the premise that the current Oppo players are falling behind or being passed by.
It just wouldn't be fruitful for Oppo to delve into a volatile 4k market where their newest product really would fall behind or become virtually obsolete when 4k specs change,
and then Oppo's hardware can't change with it, or they have to spend tons of man hours to fix software.
They are better off waiting until they can produce a product where 'longevity in functionality' is an attraction to the consumer.
dnoonie likes this.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
Old 05-09-2014, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter
boe
AVS Special Member

Is the whole streaming thing a volatile environment they should less pass them by as well? They change out their products every 2 years. Should they wait until 8K becomes the standard? That will probably be replaced in about 20 years with 16K - perhaps then the market will be mature enough. We're talking electronics, not anvils and horse shoes. I'm in IT - if I don't totally relearn everything about servers, motherboards etc every 2 years or so I'm completely behind the times. I'd still be supporting Novell if I waited for Microsoft or Linux anything to become mature.
Old 05-09-2014, 04:36 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 892 Post(s)
Liked: 451
"I want" is not a business case. 3D was not the gold rush the studios wanted. They'll try 4k next but there is not reason to think it will do any better.

I have no inside info from OPPO but I would want a little more clarity from the content owners before gambling on new products. I'm sure they'll do it but someone else can be first.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
Old 05-09-2014, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 111
And, unless Oppo changes their business plan, they are not going to produce a player that emphasizes streaming over disc playback. There are many other ways to get streaming and many of them are quite inexpensive. I agree that Oppo shouldn't produce their next player until there is a clearer indication of where the industry is going and which technologies will really grab the public. As a person who has been burned several times in the past by new technology that went absolutely nowhere and soon disappeared, I'd rather wait until the dust settles.

Old 05-11-2014, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
i would like all balanced analog output so i could connect the player directly to the amps.

right now, only the strereo connectors are balanced, and are 6dB louder than their unbalanced conterparts, which make it difficult to balance the soundstage
Dbuudo07 likes this.
Old 05-12-2014, 04:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I would like a reasonable price and no cinavia. That is what it will take for me to punk down my hard earned money for a new player from anyone. If not - no problemo - my existing players are working just fine . .

A long-time audio/video addict!
Old 05-12-2014, 05:05 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 810 Post(s)
Liked: 1099
^ The Blu-ray powers that be impose Cinavia on new players to help you save your money. Complaints to Sony, please.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Old 05-12-2014, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 594 Post(s)
Liked: 185
^Bob,

I reckon Oppo can give Denon/Marantz, Pioneer, Yamaha, Integra, et. al. a good run for their money in the pre/pro segment. A lot of these pre/pros are in the $3k to $5k range. To be honest, I don't see a lot of value on offer.

Is Oppo willing to take on the big boys? Oppo has done a pretty good job with the universal player segment.

They've just entered the over the ear headphone segment with an outstanding unit called the PM-1, getting rave reviews. I'm very tempted to get one, even though I think it's expensive.

The recently released balanced DAC+amp segment with the HA-1 is making waves.

Come on Oppo, you can enter on the pre/pro market and take some of the low hanging fruits away from the big boys...

Maranatz SR-7009, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, LG LW6500, aTV, WDTV Live, Harmony 650 remote, KEF E301, MiniDSP(2x4), Rythmik F12G
Old 05-12-2014, 08:21 PM
Read the FAQ!

* shake, shake, shake *

REPLY HAZY TRY AGAIN

--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Old 05-12-2014, 08:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

^ The Blu-ray powers that be impose Cinavia on new players to help you save your money. Complaints to Sony, please.
--Bob

Although Sony has a major influence on the blu-ray association, they do not have ALL the votes. They are all more concerned with feeding their obsession over copy prevention (or more likely bending over for the movie studios) than they are with growing the market with top quality, flexible products. These are the same companies who fought home video tooth and nail many years ago - only to lose and then get obscenely rich on it later on. Short sighted foolish people . . and yes . . you are correct . . my existing players work great and I have no intentions of wasting money on a newer, connection gimped and drm'ed to death expensive new player . . thus saving me money.

A long-time audio/video addict!
Old 05-12-2014, 08:48 PM
Read the FAQ!

Or you could just ignore it (boycott Sony titles if you must) and thus get to enjoy the enhanced speed, quality, feature set and flexibility of a "modern" player! biggrin.gif

You sure that money isn't burning a hole in your pocket yet?
--Bob

Old 05-12-2014, 11:59 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveting99 View Post

^Bob,

I reckon Oppo can give Denon/Marantz, Pioneer, Yamaha, Integra, et. al. a good run for their money in the pre/pro segment. A lot of these pre/pros are in the $3k to $5k range. To be honest, I don't see a lot of value on offer.

Is Oppo willing to take on the big boys? Oppo has done a pretty good job with the universal player segment.

They've just entered the over the ear headphone segment with an outstanding unit called the PM-1, getting rave reviews. I'm very tempted to get one, even though I think it's expensive.

The recently released balanced DAC+amp segment with the HA-1 is making waves.

Come on Oppo, you can enter on the pre/pro market and take some of the low hanging fruits away from the big boys...
+1
I am using BDP-105 as a pre/pro and preamp - they are not that far off.
Old 05-14-2014, 09:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 594 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Don't know if this is has been asked before, but I find that Replay Gain to be very useful. It normalizes the gain of tunes such at that I don't need to keep adjusting volume because one sound engineer decided that he's king of the loudness war while the good sound engineer did a more sensible job ensuring balancing dynamics within the song.

Suggest to implement Replay Gain as a feature in the future Oppo BDP players.

Maranatz SR-7009, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, LG LW6500, aTV, WDTV Live, Harmony 650 remote, KEF E301, MiniDSP(2x4), Rythmik F12G
Old 05-15-2014, 01:29 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 12
HDMI 2.0
HEVC (H.265) support
4K streaming capabilities (Netflix, ...)

I`m really happy with my 93 machine but looking to upgrade when Oppo releases something worth the upgrade. I`ll prolly wait until the new BD standard is finalized and they come out with a player supporting the new disks. Question is, how long until that happens?
dnoonie likes this.
Old 05-15-2014, 02:07 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ What if the answer is 2016?

Or what if the answer is that the new BD "standard" won't all come at once, but will roll out over a few years as happened with the original BD, so that early adopters find they need to replace their players after only a year?
--Bob

Old 05-15-2014, 02:48 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 33
^
Ahhh, the joys of audio upgrades wink.gif
Old 05-15-2014, 04:07 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

"I want" is not a business case. 3D was not the gold rush the studios wanted. They'll try 4k next but there is not reason to think it will do any better.

-Bill

DVD made them lots of money as everyone with VHS titles bought DVDs and more (they were so much more convenient.) BluRay has seen some of that as people moved to hidef versions of titles they love and because TVs became so much better. (I bought a HDTV before a BluRay player because I was willing to wait for the HDVD/BluRay fight to be won before committing.) Having identified that people will spend money on this type of thing, they are trying to work out how to get people to spend that money more often.

Unfortunately for the studios, people aren't stupid - especially those with the money to buy new BluRay players and TVs. They look for something compelling. As a BluRay transport, the '93 is pretty much good enough. 103/103D? Don't see the benefit and the big differences (to me) are in the software: remote control app for the iPhone is much better on the 103 than 93. And since it is a software thing, people want a firmware upgrade rather than a hardware upgrade.

A new player that does HEVC and HDMI 2.0 would be nice but I don't need it to spin discs any more. My disc spinner is now good enough.

Whilst some people can see and appreciate the benefit of 4k over 1080p, what proportion of the population is that at regular couch to TV distances?

Maybe the studios and manufacturers need to accept that people are no longer going to spend on updates like they did in going from analogue to digital and std def to Hi def.
Old 05-16-2014, 02:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

Agreed... For me, the connectivity options and feature-sets of '4k displays' and 'surround sound amplifiers' will have to mature first before I'll even consider buying a new media player...

Hmmm.... Maybe 3D in 4k will be the future wink.gif

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
Old 05-17-2014, 02:53 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Styln View Post

Regarding blu-ray disc sales going up: let's see a graph of audio & video files played on disc vs played via streaming by month for the last five years.

I'm not anti-disc: Oppo should continue their successful BDP line. But I am also a realistic business man and Oppo must make a NMP line to build technical skill and business relationships to support future sales. Tick tock...

Styln

http://dune-hd.com/eng/products/full_hd_media_players

http://www.mede8er.com/mede8er_product_med1000x3d.htm

http://www.cloudmedia.com/products/popcornhour/store-c-300

Thanks you very much for posting that list.

From the list supplied, the three I've left fit the bill for what I'm looking for, with perhaps the first (Dune HD Media Player) being the perfect fit!

Guess I won't be needing Oppo's next generation player after all!
Old 05-17-2014, 03:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveting99 View Post

Suggest to implement Replay Gain as a feature in the future Oppo BDP players.

Yes please, with selectable album or track gain.

Tags
Oppo , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc Bdp 105