What features would you like in your next Oppo BR - e.g. Oppo BDP-113 and BDP-115. - Page 34 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 7Likes

post #991 of 1056 Old 07-03-2014, 10:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by They_call_me_Roto View Post
In the next gen Oppo players, I have a few requests:

1) Keep the top shelf DACs in the --5 model
2) Add a pitch control for music listening. I would want this to be a small rotating knob on the player, not something that has to be accessed on screen via the setup menu using the remote. I want to be able to reach out and tweak it instantly. Yeah yeah yeah I know that the Oppo players have very good clocking on board, but maybe my ears and brain work on a different timescale.
3) Add a feature that is a throwback to CD players of days past - the ability to program a playlist for a music disc that is being played.
4) Add a basic web browser so that I can go to websites like Vimeo or GoPro to get videos that are better visual quality than the mass of junk on YouTube.
5) Keep Darbee, I like it!
6) Keep all the inputs! I really like that the player has coax and toslink inputs so I can feed music through the player from my digital collection on my computer.

7) This wish is something I wish the Oppo players could do, but I realize that this is not Oppo's fault, it is weak app development from the services that Oppo offers on board. I really wish that I could use a USB keyboard with YouTube, Netflix, etc to search for items quickly, rather than having to use the remote to slowly toggle in each character for a search.
1) More than likely I would think that's a given.

2) Huh? Do you mean like treble/bass tone controls? I would not know why you would want to manipulate the "pitch" of you music.
I don't understand that request at all.

3) Not likely. Most people these days are using external software like Jriver and the like so play their custom music preferences.

4) Not likely. However you can just run the HDMI input from another source directly into the player.
It's not practical for BD player, or even a more advanced player like an Oppo to have that.
It's just too much for one device to handle and all the trouble that comes with it.
Other streaming devices have tons of that kind of stuff and again can be run through the player if you desire to do that.

5) Most likely yes. Most people do too including me.

6) Most likely yes. That is an excellent feature for the higher end model.

7) I know it's already possible to use a keyboard with the player for some things.
I am not sure to what extent though, as I have never tried but I should put that on my list of things to do.
I HATE typing in searches and passwords with the remote since it's very cumbersome and time consuming.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 1056 Old 07-03-2014, 11:53 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 816
There is already a Playlist feature for CDs. Press Option button to access.

For media files, there is also CUE file support.

USB keyboard support already exists. Some of that got broken as apps switched to using HTML5, but that should be fixable.
--Bob
post #993 of 1056 Old 07-04-2014, 03:36 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by They_call_me_Roto View Post
In the next gen Oppo players, I have a few requests:

2) Add a pitch control for music listening. I would want this to be a small rotating knob on the player, not something that has to be accessed on screen via the setup menu using the remote. I want to be able to reach out and tweak it instantly. Yeah yeah yeah I know that the Oppo players have very good clocking on board, but maybe my ears and brain work on a different timescale.
I've seen this on players before, some pro units have it, http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ack_Mount.html. It is also a feature on DJ players.

As a young musician I fiddled with such a feature but most bands and orchestras aren't more than +-5Hz off A440. As I played more I became more adaptable, since not every band or orchestra plays to the same A I had to be flexible.

Cheers!
post #994 of 1056 Old 07-07-2014, 05:44 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 60
I'd like to see Oppo provide support for decoding of Dolby Atmos to allow users who have legacy AVR and cannot decode the latest object based audio. The new Mediatech processors (with up to 8 cores) should have sufficient processing power to decode the latest Atmos codec.

With dual HDMI outputs + digital/analague outputs, Oppo can allow multiple decoding configurations. LPCM sent by HMDI for the 7.1 standard channels + top channels in either the existing analogue or digital outputs.

Manual configuration of the top channels (levels and distances) would be nice. Support for Atmos configurations in the following:

I've attached the basic speaker layout for Dolby Atmos.

The 1st generation of Atmos AVRs are not that impressive. Some compromises have been made by vendors such as Onkyo, Denon/Marantz, Yamaha, etc. With Oppo's excellent updates to the firmware, it would be possible to implement object based audio from competitors such as DTS MDA/Auro. This isn't currently possible with the 1st gen of AVR, forcing early adopters to up-grade and be out of pocket in 12 months...

It's time for Oppo to step up to the plate and hit a home run based on the hype of object based audio. The opportunity to dive into the pre/pro market and take some lunch money from established players have never been better.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Atmos.JPG (58.4 KB, 12 views)

Maranatz NR1504, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, LG LW6500, aTV, WDTV Live, Harmony 650 remote, KEF E301, MiniDSP(2x4), Rythmik F12G
post #995 of 1056 Old 07-07-2014, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post

7) I know it's already possible to use a keyboard with the player for some things.
I am not sure to what extent though, as I have never tried but I should put that on my list of things to do.
I HATE typing in searches and passwords with the remote since it's very cumbersome and time consuming.
I prefer using my cell phone to find either a YouTube and Netflix video/movie and then throw it to my 103D. Much easier to search and I can type quickly with it.
post #996 of 1056 Old 07-07-2014, 06:39 PM

Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post
I prefer using my cell phone to find either a YouTube and Netflix video/movie and then throw it to my 103D. Much easier to search and I can type quickly with it.
I just change to input 4 (my computer in the other room) and use a wireless KB/Mouse.
post #997 of 1056 Old 07-10-2014, 06:44 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Addition of Dirac would be cool. Negate the need for high-end processors in the chain and direct connection to power amps.
post #998 of 1056 Old 07-10-2014, 06:58 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajinderGill View Post
Addition of Dirac would be cool. Negate the need for high-end processors in the chain and direct connection to power amps.
So you would be OK with that only applying on the Analog audio outputs?
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #999 of 1056 Old 07-10-2014, 07:22 AM

Yes if that's all that were possible.
post #1000 of 1056 Old 07-10-2014, 07:26 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ Well it can't be done for HDMI Bitstream output (you'd have to re-encode a lossless Bitstream on the fly after adjusting the audio), and for HDMI LPCM output it would mean having to bypass the normal division of labor between the source device and the HDMI-capable AVR. As just one, simple example, the way HDMI is designed to work the player sends LPCM 7.1 to the AVR and the AVR deals with the fact that only, say, 5.1 speakers are actually connected.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #1001 of 1056 Old 07-10-2014, 07:30 AM

Well I'd only buy an Oppo player for the audio ouput over cheaper players that output bit perfect images so this point is wasted on me.
post #1002 of 1056 Old 07-10-2014, 12:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
So you would be OK with that only applying on the Analog audio outputs?
--Bob
I would be ecstatic for such a player. If that scenario is possible, it can certainly help define their higher end audiophile player.
Heck it would probably be the main selling feature if it could (theoretically) sound better than a straight DAC application.
Then again, it's a slippery slope when you try to manipulate the audio without losing it's natural clarity and detail.
Such a thing might end up being pretty much the same audio quality as using HDMI output to a capable processor.
The only way to know is for Oppo to develop and test such a beast, then decide if it warrants a benefit to consumers.

Why would it only be possible on analog audio though Bob??

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
post #1003 of 1056 Old 07-10-2014, 02:22 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
. . . .
Why would it only be possible on analog audio though Bob??
Doing it on HDMI Bitstream audio would require re-encoding a lossless Bitstream for output. No consumer electronics has the horsepower to do that in real time.

Doing it on HDMI LPCM audio would require bypassing the normal HDMI processing in your AVR. The HDMI AVR expects to be in control of what's happening regarding speaker configuration. I gave one elementary example of the problem above: If you have a 7.1 capable AVR with 5.1 speakers configured, the AVR tells the player it will accept LPCM 7.1 and handles the down-mix itself. And when playing a 7.1 track, that's just what happens.

But if the player is expected to do room correction, then IT has to be in control of the speaker configuration.
--Bob
Smarty-pants likes this.

post #1004 of 1056 Old 07-10-2014, 04:38 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
If I didn't know better then I would say that people here seem to be asking for Oppo to produce a player that is very much similar to what Denon produced with the S-5BD:

http://usa.denon.com/DocumentMaster/...BD_Lit1210.pdf

Now maybe Oppo could do that kind of thing cheaper, maybe not. What would happen is that people looking for a BluRay player wouldn't buy it, they'd buy the cheaper thing that just played discs and left all of the fancy audio to the AVR.

What I see here is a lot of people asking for Oppo to do something more with the audio because they've done great things with the output circuits from the '95 onwards.

Maybe the sensible thing for Oppo to do here is produce a separate component to do audio decoding and that can be added on using a proprietary digital connection between that and the disc player.
post #1005 of 1056 Old 07-10-2014, 05:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakosnicek View Post
If I didn't know better then I would say that people here seem to be asking for Oppo to produce a player that is very much similar to what Denon produced with the S-5BD:

http://usa.denon.com/DocumentMaster/...BD_Lit1210.pdf

Now maybe Oppo could do that kind of thing cheaper, maybe not. What would happen is that people looking for a BluRay player wouldn't buy it, they'd buy the cheaper thing that just played discs and left all of the fancy audio to the AVR.

What I see here is a lot of people asking for Oppo to do something more with the audio because they've done great things with the output circuits from the '95 onwards.

Maybe the sensible thing for Oppo to do here is produce a separate component to do audio decoding and that can be added on using a proprietary digital connection between that and the disc player.
Those are some very viable options for Oppo to consider.

I wasn't even aware of that Denon player being released (4 years ago lol)
Basically it looks to be lower end 5.1 AVR with a built in BD player.
A very nice concept, but I'm wondering why some things are so lacking just by glancing at the pictures on the page.
Why only 5.1 instead of 7.1, and the Audyssey it uses is mediocre compared to higher implementations of Audyssey.
It's just much lower quality of features and performance compared to what Oppo offers.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
post #1006 of 1056 Old 07-11-2014, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
^ Well it can't be done for HDMI Bitstream output (you'd have to re-encode a lossless Bitstream on the fly after adjusting the audio), and for HDMI LPCM output it would mean having to bypass the normal division of labor between the source device and the HDMI-capable AVR. As just one, simple example, the way HDMI is designed to work the player sends LPCM 7.1 to the AVR and the AVR deals with the fact that only, say, 5.1 speakers are actually connected.
--Bob
Bob,
How about pre/pro universal player? We can all look forward to the day on retiring the AVR and just get some decent amps to connect up to the Oppo. Why purchase two separate devices when Oppo can provide a better single unit solution?

The BDP-10XD series are almost there. Oppo just needs to take it to another level and let Denon/Yamaha/Onkyo worry how much market share their receivers are going to loose. Just need to have a few more HDMI, analague and digital ports gets to be where the mid priced AVR are at.

Come on Oppo, bring in something new that would really stir up and exite the market.

Maranatz NR1504, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, LG LW6500, aTV, WDTV Live, Harmony 650 remote, KEF E301, MiniDSP(2x4), Rythmik F12G
post #1007 of 1056 Old 07-11-2014, 04:15 AM

Denon S-5BD vs Oppo

Quote:
Those are some very viable options for Oppo to consider.

I wasn't even aware of that Denon player being released (4 years ago lol)
Basically it looks to be lower end 5.1 AVR with a built in BD player.
A very nice concept, but I'm wondering why some things are so lacking just by glancing at the pictures on the page.
Why only 5.1 instead of 7.1, and the Audyssey it uses is mediocre compared to higher implementations of Audyssey.
It's just much lower quality of features and performance compared to what Oppo offers.
I think the answer to many of your questions is that it was introduced in 2010 and there was never a successor to it (that might be more reflective of the price point - ~$2500? - than the technology bundling.) In 2010, 7.1 at that price point was not common and the better Audyssey options that we have today were also not available.

If you were shopping around for a BluRay player from Oppo in 2010 then the options were the BDP-83 and BDP-83SE.
post #1008 of 1056 Old 07-11-2014, 05:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakosnicek View Post
I think the answer to many of your questions is that it was introduced in 2010 and there was never a successor to it (that might be more reflective of the price point - ~$2500? - than the technology bundling.) In 2010, 7.1 at that price point was not common and the better Audyssey options that we have today were also not available.

If you were shopping around for a BluRay player from Oppo in 2010 then the options were the BDP-83 and BDP-83SE.
I purchased a very nice Onkyo AVR with a better version of Audyssey, 7.1 audio, and much much more 7 years ago
for less than $700 (original msrp $999). Combine that with an Oppo BDP-83 and it runs circles around what that Denon is capable of.
The Denon model was just way overpriced, and thus most likely the reason why it was not popular and died quickly.

Still though, the general concept is a good one and aside from the built in amps and Audyssey, the current Oppo players already offer the same features.
Personally I would never want amps inside of an Oppo player. Keep it to pre-amp features + BD player + media player and it's all good.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
post #1009 of 1056 Old 07-11-2014, 07:26 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
aside from the built in amps and Audyssey, the current Oppo players already offer the same features.
Well, close to the same features. That Denon product also has analog audio inputs and an AM/FM tuner. IMHO, in order to really replace a surround sound processor, a hypothetical Oppo product would need at least a few analog inputs (to provide a way to connect a phono preamp and an analog tuner or other analog source). The AM/FM tuner probably wouldn't be needed in such a product, but all (or at least most) AVR's still have them.
Smarty-pants likes this.
post #1010 of 1056 Old 07-11-2014, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
Well, close to the same features. That Denon product also has analog audio inputs and an AM/FM tuner. IMHO, in order to really replace a surround sound processor, a hypothetical Oppo product would need at least a few analog inputs (to provide a way to connect a phono preamp and an analog tuner or other analog source). The AM/FM tuner probably wouldn't be needed in such a product, but all (or at least most) AVR's still have them.
If Oppo wanted to replicate the state of current AVR's, but I think Oppo could have a much better and forward looking product by following the current path. As a media device that can stand on its own.

So no amps, but the ability to drive them (as is now). I haven't used my tuner on my AVR in at least ten years. I have a turntable attached to my AVR through analog and use it, but it also has a USB connector that is going unused. The Oppo could handle it through that.

HDMI and USB inputs to me take care of most devices. The network interface is what really opens up media for the players. I don't listen to radio any more, but Pandora, the new Berliner P and streaming apps get heavy use.

What keeps me from really considering just Oppo and Amps is the lack of room correction software. If the player had that, I could see dumping my AVR or just using its amps and buying a 1X5D.

Just my opinion.
post #1011 of 1056 Old 07-11-2014, 08:29 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
I haven't used my tuner on my AVR in at least ten years.
I use my tuner pretty much every day.

Quote:
I have a turntable attached to my AVR through analog and use it, but it also has a USB connector that is going unused. The Oppo could handle it through that.
Most serious turntable enthusiasts will not be satisfied without an analog input. The 105 owners thread has had a lot of comments along the lines of "I could eliminate my preamp if the Oppo had an analog input or 2." The HA-1 has that taken care of, but obviously doesn't have all the media and multichannel capabilities that the BDP-10x products have.

Quote:
What keeps me from really considering just Oppo and Amps is the lack of room correction software. If the player had that, I could see dumping my AVR or just using its amps and buying a 1X5D.
I'm sure that just adding room correction capabilities would make a lot of people happy. But to truly replace a surround sound processor, more input flexibility is needed. I currently have a Denon AVP-A1HDCI and am using all 6 HDMI inputs, the AM/FM tuner, and a few of the analog audio inputs. There's no way I could pull it out of my system and replace it with a product that has no AM/FM tuner, no analog inputs, and only 1 (rear panel) HDMI input. While I'm sure that not everyone needs 6 HDMI inputs, many people would need more than 1 (on the rear panel). IMHO, a front HDMI input is only useful for temporary use.

What I'm suggesting is something along the lines of a product that merges the capabilities of the BDP-105 and HA-1 and then adds a few more rear panel HDMI inputs and room correction for the analog outputs (no need to do it on digital outputs). I suspect it would be fine if room correction did not get applied to the analog inputs. I don't know what the price for such a product would be, and that could end up being a problem as it would probably be pushing $2000, but it's a product I would be interested in.
carapau likes this.
post #1012 of 1056 Old 07-11-2014, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I use my tuner pretty much every day.

Most serious turntable enthusiasts will not be satisfied without an analog input. The 105 owners thread has had a lot of comments along the lines of "I could eliminate my preamp if the Oppo had an analog input or 2." The HA-1 has that taken care of, but obviously doesn't have all the media and multichannel capabilities that the BDP-10x products have.

I'm sure that just adding room correction capabilities would make a lot of people happy. But to truly replace a surround sound processor, more input flexibility is needed. I currently have a Denon AVP-A1HDCI and am using all 6 HDMI inputs, the AM/FM tuner, and a few of the analog audio inputs. There's no way I could pull it out of my system and replace it with a product that has no AM/FM tuner, no analog inputs, and only 1 (rear panel) HDMI input. While I'm sure that not everyone needs 6 HDMI inputs, many people would need more than 1 (on the rear panel). IMHO, a front HDMI input is only useful for temporary use.

What I'm suggesting is something along the lines of a product that merges the capabilities of the BDP-105 and HA-1 and then adds a few more rear panel HDMI inputs and room correction for the analog outputs (no need to do it on digital outputs). I suspect it would be fine if room correction did not get applied to the analog inputs. I don't know what the price for such a product would be, and that could end up being a problem as it would probably be pushing $2000, but it's a product I would be interested in.
Actually it's pretty close to what would satisfy me. My current AVR was about 1200, so if you had a product that had everything the 105D has with more HDMI inputs and more USB inputs for hundreds more, I'm fine.

I have my turntable to play my old records, long buried and now active again. Outside of a couple of new records, I don't see it growing much. So I'm not that serious with it... unless a turntable comes out with a very good USB connection.

Much more likely my serious use is FLAC and other lossless formats, my SACD's and DVD-A's and bluray concerts / audio.

As I mentioned for me (and only me... ) the best of all worlds would be more digital (HDMI and USB) inputs and a killer room correction package. I wouldn't miss a tuner, but that doesn't mean others wouldn't.

Your AVR is a great machine, it would be hard for most things to match or exceed it, but in my use, these things would do it.
post #1013 of 1056 Old 07-11-2014, 10:39 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Most of these idea is the reason i am holding off buying the 103-d. I know once i get it the new version would be announced.

Sub build http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...et-r-done.html
Center - JBL LC2
Mains - JBL L820
Surrounds - JBL L820
Sub -Updating to Duals with UXL-18"s A bit different
post #1014 of 1056 Old 07-11-2014, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyattroa View Post
Most of these idea is the reason i am holding off buying the 103-d. I know once i get it the new version would be announced.
Well in that case what can we do to get you to go ahead and buy?
post #1015 of 1056 Old 07-11-2014, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifiaudio2 View Post
Well in that case what can we do to get you to go ahead and buy?
Hilarious.
post #1016 of 1056 Old 07-11-2014, 11:05 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyattroa View Post
If you wait long enough, that will certainly be true, but there aren't any hints of a new product coming out any time soon. Given the state of HDMI 2.0 and physical media for handling 4K video, I suspect it will probably be another year before we see anything. No insider info, just my gut feeling.
post #1017 of 1056 Old 07-11-2014, 02:52 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
If you wait long enough, that will certainly be true, but there aren't any hints of a new product coming out any time soon. Given the state of HDMI 2.0 and physical media for handling 4K video, I suspect it will probably be another year before we see anything. No insider info, just my gut feeling.
Yes, I was just thinking a new product is overdue. Perhaps you are correct that they will wait.
post #1018 of 1056 Old 07-11-2014, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riffer View Post
Yes, I was just thinking a new product is overdue. Perhaps you are correct that they will wait.
I don't think it is a case of them waiting as much as it is a case of being able to begin when components are available.
post #1019 of 1056 Old 07-12-2014, 12:01 AM

^Oppo generally has a two year cycle of releasing new products. The BDP-10X series will reach their two age around end of this year. The Darbee version came in a year later, so if history is any guide the time range is 2015.

The specs for HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 has been revised recently and chip set manufacturers will have to incorporate those design changes this year and get the foundries to produce the wafers before Oppo gets them into the players. 4K media standards haven't been finalized so and no content from hollywood is going to be released anytime soon.

Again all this point to a 2015 release date for the new Oppo players.

All this is speculation on my part, so take it with a huge grain of salt.

Last edited by steveting99; 07-12-2014 at 12:02 AM. Reason: Clarification on last sentence
post #1020 of 1056 Old 07-12-2014, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveting99 View Post
^Oppo generally has a two year cycle of releasing new products. The BDP-10X series will reach their two age around end of this year. The Darbee version came in a year later, so if history is any guide the time range is 2015.
To me the Darbee versions look like a "how do we refresh the product to last another two years" whilst they wait for HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 to be ready.
hawkfan likes this.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page