What features would you like in your next Oppo BR - e.g. Oppo BDP-113 and BDP-115. - Page 35 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

View Poll Results: DIRAC Live Software
Yes 62 64.58%
No 34 35.42%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-02-2014, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter
boe
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post
I hope OPPO is listening here is my updated wish list:

Yes here is my wish list in order of priority

1) Auto EQ from either

- DIRAC http://www.dirac.se/en/technologies/.../overview.aspx
- Lyngdorf: ROOM PERFECT http://lyngdorf.com/downloads/produc...on_english.pdf

2) Dolby ATMOS 13.2 (L/C/R/SR/SL/SWR/SWL/SBR/SBL/HR1/HL1/HR2/HR2) a la Marantz AV8802

3) DTS MDA or UHD

4) Auro 3D

5) HDMi 2.0 4K passthrough

Of course including the new New Sabre DACs

You can't have Dolby Atmos - someone here has a sound treated ceiling so anyone who wants it is wrong. And DTS MDA sounds like a new format so why would you want it?

Just Kidding. That is an excellent list - those are things I'd like too along with a whole lot more streaming functionality. For some reason there are people in the thread for what features would you want in your next oppo that don't want any new features.

Last edited by boe; 07-02-2014 at 08:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2014, 08:31 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Liked: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by boe View Post
You can't Dolby Atmos - someone here has a sound treated ceiling so anyone who wants it is wrong. And DTS MDA sounds like a new format so why would you want it?

Just Kidding. For some reason there are people in the thread for what features would you want in your next oppo that don't want any new features. That is an excellent list - those are things I'd like too along with a whole lot more streaming functionality.
The point that others were trying to make about Atmos is that integrating the changes required to take advantage of Atmos in an existing system are going to be problematic for a lot of people. The WAF of installing speakers on the ceiling probably isn't very good and the alternative of having speakers pointed to the ceiling is a problem if your ceiling is irregular or has absorption panels on it, etc. If enthusiasts like us aren't all over it, I just don't see the masses adopting Atmos and that doesn't bode well for success.

I do question the need to include Atmos decoding in a source component as the number of analog outputs required will be a big problem when it comes to real estate on the rear panel - just how big a player are you willing to put into your rack? How much are you willing to pay (keep in mind that all those extra analog outputs have a cost associated with them)? If I were going to modify my system for Atmos, I would want the decoding done in my surround sound processor so that all sources in my system could benefit from it. IMHO, Oppo should stick to stereo and no more than 7.1 analog outputs and let anything beyond that be handled external to the player. Adding full support for Atmos would, again IMHO, make the product too complex and expensive.

And I don't think anyone posting in this thread doesn't want any new features. The fact that we don't all agree on what should be in the next product doesn't make "me" right and "you" wrong (or vice versa), we're just expressing our opinions and everyone is entitled to have one.
Old 07-03-2014, 04:18 AM - Thread Starter
boe
AVS Special Member

I don't think those who want ATMOS would be able to do it with analog connections. I would imagine it would have to be hdmi to your prepro. I don't even know if I'd be able to take advantage of it in the near future as that means more speakers, a different preamp etc. I just think it should probably be included within a year or two. If they have a model coming out within 9 months - then no perhaps not but if they won't have one ready for a another 18 months, then yes, probably. I'm hoping by 18 months to see a new prepro to replace my wonderful but aged Denon AVP.
Old 07-03-2014, 04:46 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 952 Post(s)
Liked: 1173
^ ATMOS via HDMI Bitstream to an ATMOS-enabled AVR is supposed to work with existing Blu-ray players. I.e., no changes needed in the player. Whether that actually works well for folks we'll just have to wait and see.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Old 07-03-2014, 04:50 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post
I hope OPPO is listening here is my updated wish list:

Yes here is my wish list in order of priority

1) Auto EQ from either

- DIRAC http://www.dirac.se/en/technologies/.../overview.aspx
- Lyngdorf: ROOM PERFECT http://lyngdorf.com/downloads/produc...on_english.pdf

. . . .
Obviously those won't work if you prefer to use HDMI Bitstream. Are you OK with them being limited to just Analog output? I.e., not on HDMI LPCM either? If you want to do it on HDMI LPCM you'd need to usurp the speaker processing of the AVR. For example, right now the player sends, e.g., HDMI LPCM 7.1 and the AVR does the down-mixing and Crossover processing.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Old 07-03-2014, 05:17 AM - Thread Starter
boe
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
^ ATMOS via HDMI Bitstream to an ATMOS-enabled AVR is supposed to work with existing Blu-ray players. I.e., no changes needed in the player. Whether that actually works well for folks we'll just have to wait and see.
--Bob
Thanks - I thought Atmos via HDMI was only going to be available on some existing players.
Old 07-03-2014, 05:29 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Thanks - I thought Atmos via HDMI was only going to be available on some existing players.
So long as the player can already output Dolby TrueHD Bitstreams then Atmos via HDMI Bitstream is supposed to work without needing any change in the player. Of course you'll get no advantage from it unless cabled to an Atmos-capable AVR with Atmos speakers attached. At least you don't also need Atmos HDMI and speaker cables or power cords.... (Oh, and you may have to change out the ceiling in your room. It's got to be the right material. And height.)

Again, we'll have to wait to see what the reality turns out to be.
--Bob

Old 07-03-2014, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter
boe
AVS Special Member

AUUGHHG - I just went to stream Jack Ryan and a lot of the movie had Russian dialogue. My biggest hope for the next Oppo is for it to be able to play forced subtitles (for streamed media). My PC plays it so I know it is there. Frankly I wish the current 103 had a firmware fix for this but by far this is my #1 feature request as far as streaming goes. I watch a lot of sci-fi which has alien language and a lot of action/adventure/intrigue which tends to have a lot of French/Spanish/Farsi/Russian dialogue.

I'd put both my Oppo 103's up on craiglist tomorrow if they fixed that one drawback alone in the next model.
Old 07-03-2014, 01:33 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked: 533
Quote:
AUUGHHG - I just went to stream Jack Ryan and a lot of the movie had Russian dialogue. My biggest hope for the next Oppo is for it to be able to play forced subtitles (for streamed media). My PC plays it so I know it is there. Frankly I wish the current 103 had a firmware fix for this but by far this is my #1 feature request as far as streaming goes. I watch a lot of sci-fi which has alien language and a lot of action/adventure/intrigue which tends to have a lot of French/Spanish/Farsi/Russian dialogue.

I'd put both my Oppo 103's up on craiglist tomorrow if they fixed that one drawback alone in the next model.
If I were as frustrated as you seem to be I'd break down and load the disc.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
Old 07-03-2014, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter
boe
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
If I were as frustrated as you seem to be I'd break down and load the disc.

-Bill
It is sad, but true. It would be nice if I didn't have to dig each movie I want to watch out of storage. The point of putting a couple thousand movies and shows on my server is so I don't have a ton of physical space used by my collection in the house. I was just pricing out the parts for a HTPC and with the case I want, it is pretty expensive. Granted, it is still FAR less than the server I put them on but still expensive compared to the price of an Oppo. I could build a cheap HTPC for next to nothing but I don't want a loud and primitive PC, I want a well designed HTPC. If the Oppo played forced subtitles that is nearly 50% of my draw for building one. Sure a HTPC would do a LOT more than just playback subtitles the Oppo won't but that is one of the most compelling items for me.

Last edited by boe; 07-03-2014 at 01:58 PM.
Old 07-03-2014, 08:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 73
In the next gen Oppo players, I have a few requests:

1) Keep the top shelf DACs in the --5 model
2) Add a pitch control for music listening. I would want this to be a small rotating knob on the player, not something that has to be accessed on screen via the setup menu using the remote. I want to be able to reach out and tweak it instantly. Yeah yeah yeah I know that the Oppo players have very good clocking on board, but maybe my ears and brain work on a different timescale.
3) Add a feature that is a throwback to CD players of days past - the ability to program a playlist for a music disc that is being played.
4) Add a basic web browser so that I can go to websites like Vimeo or GoPro to get videos that are better visual quality than the mass of junk on YouTube.
5) Keep Darbee, I like it!
6) Keep all the inputs! I really like that the player has coax and toslink inputs so I can feed music through the player from my digital collection on my computer.

7) This wish is something I wish the Oppo players could do, but I realize that this is not Oppo's fault, it is weak app development from the services that Oppo offers on board. I really wish that I could use a USB keyboard with YouTube, Netflix, etc to search for items quickly, rather than having to use the remote to slowly toggle in each character for a search.

Packing a lot of sound into a small room.
268 square feet/2144 cubic feet
7.2: 9 speakers and 2 subwoofers.
Old 07-03-2014, 10:36 PM - Thread Starter
boe
AVS Special Member

I liked the idea of the more streamlined lists some of you have posted. While there are about 30 things I'd like improved on the next Oppo 113, I put in bold just the really important ones to me in the first post. People are willing to pay more for a 105 for improved audio. I'd be willing to pay more for an Oppo that could actually achieve the 7 items I have highlighted.

1. Allow for a streaming bookmark menu so you can easily and quickly go to specific folders for playback. If I'm halfway through a file on my PC, I'd like it to pick up where I left off like a DVD or Netflix do.

2. Ability to detect and display forced subs when streaming MKV files.

3. Continue to improve the speed at which the network boots/locks on to the media server so you don't have to wait so long after booting to going to your network server for media. Have the Oppo update the media list as more become available from the network source so you don't need to reboot the Oppo for an updated list.

4. Add an HDMI 2.0 out.

5. Add keys on the handheld remote for network folder shares so you can go straight to TV shows, Movies, Pictures or Music. (Let the user assign what the keys go to - e.g. 4 music locations or 3 video locations and 1 music.

6. Make fast forward and rewind even faster perhaps 3x as fast (as it currently handles) when you hold it down for 2 seconds. On playback of a large streaming file - e.g. 30GB movie (MKV) it has trouble speeding through the movie - even when connect to the server using a 1Gbit wired connection. Perhaps it needs more caching or a faster processor.

7. Support for 4K discs

Last edited by boe; 07-04-2014 at 07:50 AM.
Old 07-03-2014, 10:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by They_call_me_Roto View Post

1) Keep the top shelf DACs in the --5 model
2) Add a pitch control for music listening. I would want this to be a small rotating knob on the player, not something that has to be accessed on screen via the setup menu using the remote. I want to be able to reach out and tweak it instantly. Yeah yeah yeah I know that the Oppo players have very good clocking on board, but maybe my ears and brain work on a different timescale.
3) Add a feature that is a throwback to CD players of days past - the ability to program a playlist for a music disc that is being played.
4) Add a basic web browser so that I can go to websites like Vimeo or GoPro to get videos that are better visual quality than the mass of junk on YouTube.
5) Keep Darbee, I like it!
6) Keep all the inputs! I really like that the player has coax and toslink inputs so I can feed music through the player from my digital collection on my computer.

7) This wish is something I wish the Oppo players could do, but I realize that this is not Oppo's fault, it is weak app development from the services that Oppo offers on board. I really wish that I could use a USB keyboard with YouTube, Netflix, etc to search for items quickly, rather than having to use the remote to slowly toggle in each character for a search.
1) More than likely I would think that's a given.

2) Huh? Do you mean like treble/bass tone controls? I would not know why you would want to manipulate the "pitch" of you music.
I don't understand that request at all.

3) Not likely. Most people these days are using external software like Jriver and the like so play their custom music preferences.

4) Not likely. However you can just run the HDMI input from another source directly into the player.
It's not practical for BD player, or even a more advanced player like an Oppo to have that.
It's just too much for one device to handle and all the trouble that comes with it.
Other streaming devices have tons of that kind of stuff and again can be run through the player if you desire to do that.

5) Most likely yes. Most people do too including me.

6) Most likely yes. That is an excellent feature for the higher end model.

7) I know it's already possible to use a keyboard with the player for some things.
I am not sure to what extent though, as I have never tried but I should put that on my list of things to do.
I HATE typing in searches and passwords with the remote since it's very cumbersome and time consuming.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
Old 07-03-2014, 11:53 PM
Read the FAQ!

There is already a Playlist feature for CDs. Press Option button to access.

For media files, there is also CUE file support.

USB keyboard support already exists. Some of that got broken as apps switched to using HTML5, but that should be fixable.
--Bob
Old 07-04-2014, 03:36 PM

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by They_call_me_Roto View Post

I've seen this on players before, some pro units have it, http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ack_Mount.html. It is also a feature on DJ players.

As a young musician I fiddled with such a feature but most bands and orchestras aren't more than +-5Hz off A440. As I played more I became more adaptable, since not every band or orchestra plays to the same A I had to be flexible.

Cheers!
Old 07-07-2014, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 882 Post(s)
Liked: 261
I'd like to see Oppo provide support for decoding of Dolby Atmos to allow users who have legacy AVR and cannot decode the latest object based audio. The new Mediatech processors (with up to 8 cores) should have sufficient processing power to decode the latest Atmos codec.

With dual HDMI outputs + digital/analague outputs, Oppo can allow multiple decoding configurations. LPCM sent by HMDI for the 7.1 standard channels + top channels in either the existing analogue or digital outputs.

Manual configuration of the top channels (levels and distances) would be nice. Support for Atmos configurations in the following:

I've attached the basic speaker layout for Dolby Atmos.

The 1st generation of Atmos AVRs are not that impressive. Some compromises have been made by vendors such as Onkyo, Denon/Marantz, Yamaha, etc. With Oppo's excellent updates to the firmware, it would be possible to implement object based audio from competitors such as DTS MDA/Auro. This isn't currently possible with the 1st gen of AVR, forcing early adopters to up-grade and be out of pocket in 12 months...

It's time for Oppo to step up to the plate and hit a home run based on the hype of object based audio. The opportunity to dive into the pre/pro market and take some lunch money from established players have never been better.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Atmos.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	152114  

Maranatz SR-7009, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, LG LW6500, aTV, WDTV Live, Harmony 650 remote, KEF E301+T101, MiniDSP(2x4) & 10x10HD(on order), Emotiva 2xXPA-5 (Gen2), Rythmik 2xF12G+2xF8, HiMedia Q16.
Old 07-07-2014, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post

7) I know it's already possible to use a keyboard with the player for some things.
I am not sure to what extent though, as I have never tried but I should put that on my list of things to do.
I HATE typing in searches and passwords with the remote since it's very cumbersome and time consuming.
I prefer using my cell phone to find either a YouTube and Netflix video/movie and then throw it to my 103D. Much easier to search and I can type quickly with it.
Old 07-07-2014, 06:39 PM

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post
I prefer using my cell phone to find either a YouTube and Netflix video/movie and then throw it to my 103D. Much easier to search and I can type quickly with it.
I just change to input 4 (my computer in the other room) and use a wireless KB/Mouse.
Old 07-10-2014, 06:44 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Addition of Dirac would be cool. Negate the need for high-end processors in the chain and direct connection to power amps.
Old 07-10-2014, 06:58 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajinderGill View Post
Addition of Dirac would be cool. Negate the need for high-end processors in the chain and direct connection to power amps.
So you would be OK with that only applying on the Analog audio outputs?
--Bob

Old 07-10-2014, 07:22 AM

Yes if that's all that were possible.
Old 07-10-2014, 07:26 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ Well it can't be done for HDMI Bitstream output (you'd have to re-encode a lossless Bitstream on the fly after adjusting the audio), and for HDMI LPCM output it would mean having to bypass the normal division of labor between the source device and the HDMI-capable AVR. As just one, simple example, the way HDMI is designed to work the player sends LPCM 7.1 to the AVR and the AVR deals with the fact that only, say, 5.1 speakers are actually connected.
--Bob

Old 07-10-2014, 07:30 AM

Well I'd only buy an Oppo player for the audio ouput over cheaper players that output bit perfect images so this point is wasted on me.
Old 07-10-2014, 12:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
So you would be OK with that only applying on the Analog audio outputs?
--Bob
I would be ecstatic for such a player. If that scenario is possible, it can certainly help define their higher end audiophile player.
Heck it would probably be the main selling feature if it could (theoretically) sound better than a straight DAC application.
Then again, it's a slippery slope when you try to manipulate the audio without losing it's natural clarity and detail.
Such a thing might end up being pretty much the same audio quality as using HDMI output to a capable processor.
The only way to know is for Oppo to develop and test such a beast, then decide if it warrants a benefit to consumers.

Why would it only be possible on analog audio though Bob??

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
Old 07-10-2014, 02:22 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
. . . .
Why would it only be possible on analog audio though Bob??
Doing it on HDMI Bitstream audio would require re-encoding a lossless Bitstream for output. No consumer electronics has the horsepower to do that in real time.

Doing it on HDMI LPCM audio would require bypassing the normal HDMI processing in your AVR. The HDMI AVR expects to be in control of what's happening regarding speaker configuration. I gave one elementary example of the problem above: If you have a 7.1 capable AVR with 5.1 speakers configured, the AVR tells the player it will accept LPCM 7.1 and handles the down-mix itself. And when playing a 7.1 track, that's just what happens.

But if the player is expected to do room correction, then IT has to be in control of the speaker configuration.
--Bob
Smarty-pants likes this.

Old 07-10-2014, 04:38 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 20
If I didn't know better then I would say that people here seem to be asking for Oppo to produce a player that is very much similar to what Denon produced with the S-5BD:

http://usa.denon.com/DocumentMaster/...BD_Lit1210.pdf

Now maybe Oppo could do that kind of thing cheaper, maybe not. What would happen is that people looking for a BluRay player wouldn't buy it, they'd buy the cheaper thing that just played discs and left all of the fancy audio to the AVR.

What I see here is a lot of people asking for Oppo to do something more with the audio because they've done great things with the output circuits from the '95 onwards.

Maybe the sensible thing for Oppo to do here is produce a separate component to do audio decoding and that can be added on using a proprietary digital connection between that and the disc player.
Old 07-10-2014, 05:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakosnicek View Post
If I didn't know better then I would say that people here seem to be asking for Oppo to produce a player that is very much similar to what Denon produced with the S-5BD:

http://usa.denon.com/DocumentMaster/...BD_Lit1210.pdf

Now maybe Oppo could do that kind of thing cheaper, maybe not. What would happen is that people looking for a BluRay player wouldn't buy it, they'd buy the cheaper thing that just played discs and left all of the fancy audio to the AVR.

What I see here is a lot of people asking for Oppo to do something more with the audio because they've done great things with the output circuits from the '95 onwards.

Maybe the sensible thing for Oppo to do here is produce a separate component to do audio decoding and that can be added on using a proprietary digital connection between that and the disc player.
Those are some very viable options for Oppo to consider.

I wasn't even aware of that Denon player being released (4 years ago lol)
Basically it looks to be lower end 5.1 AVR with a built in BD player.
A very nice concept, but I'm wondering why some things are so lacking just by glancing at the pictures on the page.
Why only 5.1 instead of 7.1, and the Audyssey it uses is mediocre compared to higher implementations of Audyssey.
It's just much lower quality of features and performance compared to what Oppo offers.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
Old 07-11-2014, 12:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 882 Post(s)
Liked: 261
Quote:
^ Well it can't be done for HDMI Bitstream output (you'd have to re-encode a lossless Bitstream on the fly after adjusting the audio), and for HDMI LPCM output it would mean having to bypass the normal division of labor between the source device and the HDMI-capable AVR. As just one, simple example, the way HDMI is designed to work the player sends LPCM 7.1 to the AVR and the AVR deals with the fact that only, say, 5.1 speakers are actually connected.
--Bob
Bob,
How about pre/pro universal player? We can all look forward to the day on retiring the AVR and just get some decent amps to connect up to the Oppo. Why purchase two separate devices when Oppo can provide a better single unit solution?

The BDP-10XD series are almost there. Oppo just needs to take it to another level and let Denon/Yamaha/Onkyo worry how much market share their receivers are going to loose. Just need to have a few more HDMI, analague and digital ports gets to be where the mid priced AVR are at.

Come on Oppo, bring in something new that would really stir up and exite the market.

Maranatz SR-7009, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, LG LW6500, aTV, WDTV Live, Harmony 650 remote, KEF E301+T101, MiniDSP(2x4) & 10x10HD(on order), Emotiva 2xXPA-5 (Gen2), Rythmik 2xF12G+2xF8, HiMedia Q16.
Old 07-11-2014, 04:15 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Denon S-5BD vs Oppo

Quote:
Those are some very viable options for Oppo to consider.

I wasn't even aware of that Denon player being released (4 years ago lol)
Basically it looks to be lower end 5.1 AVR with a built in BD player.
A very nice concept, but I'm wondering why some things are so lacking just by glancing at the pictures on the page.
Why only 5.1 instead of 7.1, and the Audyssey it uses is mediocre compared to higher implementations of Audyssey.
It's just much lower quality of features and performance compared to what Oppo offers.
I think the answer to many of your questions is that it was introduced in 2010 and there was never a successor to it (that might be more reflective of the price point - ~$2500? - than the technology bundling.) In 2010, 7.1 at that price point was not common and the better Audyssey options that we have today were also not available.

If you were shopping around for a BluRay player from Oppo in 2010 then the options were the BDP-83 and BDP-83SE.
Old 07-11-2014, 05:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakosnicek View Post
I think the answer to many of your questions is that it was introduced in 2010 and there was never a successor to it (that might be more reflective of the price point - ~$2500? - than the technology bundling.) In 2010, 7.1 at that price point was not common and the better Audyssey options that we have today were also not available.

If you were shopping around for a BluRay player from Oppo in 2010 then the options were the BDP-83 and BDP-83SE.
I purchased a very nice Onkyo AVR with a better version of Audyssey, 7.1 audio, and much much more 7 years ago
for less than $700 (original msrp $999). Combine that with an Oppo BDP-83 and it runs circles around what that Denon is capable of.
The Denon model was just way overpriced, and thus most likely the reason why it was not popular and died quickly.

Still though, the general concept is a good one and aside from the built in amps and Audyssey, the current Oppo players already offer the same features.
Personally I would never want amps inside of an Oppo player. Keep it to pre-amp features + BD player + media player and it's all good.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...

Tags
Oppo , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc Bdp 105