What features would you like in your next Oppo BR - e.g. Oppo BDP-113 and BDP-115. - Page 36 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

View Poll Results: DIRAC Live Software
Yes 58 65.17%
No 31 34.83%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
 63Likes

post #1051 of 1398 Old 07-11-2014, 07:26 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post
aside from the built in amps and Audyssey, the current Oppo players already offer the same features.
Well, close to the same features. That Denon product also has analog audio inputs and an AM/FM tuner. IMHO, in order to really replace a surround sound processor, a hypothetical Oppo product would need at least a few analog inputs (to provide a way to connect a phono preamp and an analog tuner or other analog source). The AM/FM tuner probably wouldn't be needed in such a product, but all (or at least most) AVR's still have them.
Smarty-pants likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1052 of 1398 Old 07-11-2014, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
Well, close to the same features. That Denon product also has analog audio inputs and an AM/FM tuner. IMHO, in order to really replace a surround sound processor, a hypothetical Oppo product would need at least a few analog inputs (to provide a way to connect a phono preamp and an analog tuner or other analog source). The AM/FM tuner probably wouldn't be needed in such a product, but all (or at least most) AVR's still have them.
If Oppo wanted to replicate the state of current AVR's, but I think Oppo could have a much better and forward looking product by following the current path. As a media device that can stand on its own.

So no amps, but the ability to drive them (as is now). I haven't used my tuner on my AVR in at least ten years. I have a turntable attached to my AVR through analog and use it, but it also has a USB connector that is going unused. The Oppo could handle it through that.

HDMI and USB inputs to me take care of most devices. The network interface is what really opens up media for the players. I don't listen to radio any more, but Pandora, the new Berliner P and streaming apps get heavy use.

What keeps me from really considering just Oppo and Amps is the lack of room correction software. If the player had that, I could see dumping my AVR or just using its amps and buying a 1X5D.

Just my opinion.
post #1053 of 1398 Old 07-11-2014, 08:29 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post
I haven't used my tuner on my AVR in at least ten years.
I use my tuner pretty much every day.

Quote:
I have a turntable attached to my AVR through analog and use it, but it also has a USB connector that is going unused. The Oppo could handle it through that.
Most serious turntable enthusiasts will not be satisfied without an analog input. The 105 owners thread has had a lot of comments along the lines of "I could eliminate my preamp if the Oppo had an analog input or 2." The HA-1 has that taken care of, but obviously doesn't have all the media and multichannel capabilities that the BDP-10x products have.

Quote:
What keeps me from really considering just Oppo and Amps is the lack of room correction software. If the player had that, I could see dumping my AVR or just using its amps and buying a 1X5D.
I'm sure that just adding room correction capabilities would make a lot of people happy. But to truly replace a surround sound processor, more input flexibility is needed. I currently have a Denon AVP-A1HDCI and am using all 6 HDMI inputs, the AM/FM tuner, and a few of the analog audio inputs. There's no way I could pull it out of my system and replace it with a product that has no AM/FM tuner, no analog inputs, and only 1 (rear panel) HDMI input. While I'm sure that not everyone needs 6 HDMI inputs, many people would need more than 1 (on the rear panel). IMHO, a front HDMI input is only useful for temporary use.

What I'm suggesting is something along the lines of a product that merges the capabilities of the BDP-105 and HA-1 and then adds a few more rear panel HDMI inputs and room correction for the analog outputs (no need to do it on digital outputs). I suspect it would be fine if room correction did not get applied to the analog inputs. I don't know what the price for such a product would be, and that could end up being a problem as it would probably be pushing $2000, but it's a product I would be interested in.
carapau likes this.
post #1054 of 1398 Old 07-11-2014, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I use my tuner pretty much every day.

Most serious turntable enthusiasts will not be satisfied without an analog input. The 105 owners thread has had a lot of comments along the lines of "I could eliminate my preamp if the Oppo had an analog input or 2." The HA-1 has that taken care of, but obviously doesn't have all the media and multichannel capabilities that the BDP-10x products have.

I'm sure that just adding room correction capabilities would make a lot of people happy. But to truly replace a surround sound processor, more input flexibility is needed. I currently have a Denon AVP-A1HDCI and am using all 6 HDMI inputs, the AM/FM tuner, and a few of the analog audio inputs. There's no way I could pull it out of my system and replace it with a product that has no AM/FM tuner, no analog inputs, and only 1 (rear panel) HDMI input. While I'm sure that not everyone needs 6 HDMI inputs, many people would need more than 1 (on the rear panel). IMHO, a front HDMI input is only useful for temporary use.

What I'm suggesting is something along the lines of a product that merges the capabilities of the BDP-105 and HA-1 and then adds a few more rear panel HDMI inputs and room correction for the analog outputs (no need to do it on digital outputs). I suspect it would be fine if room correction did not get applied to the analog inputs. I don't know what the price for such a product would be, and that could end up being a problem as it would probably be pushing $2000, but it's a product I would be interested in.
Actually it's pretty close to what would satisfy me. My current AVR was about 1200, so if you had a product that had everything the 105D has with more HDMI inputs and more USB inputs for hundreds more, I'm fine.

I have my turntable to play my old records, long buried and now active again. Outside of a couple of new records, I don't see it growing much. So I'm not that serious with it... unless a turntable comes out with a very good USB connection.

Much more likely my serious use is FLAC and other lossless formats, my SACD's and DVD-A's and bluray concerts / audio.

As I mentioned for me (and only me... ) the best of all worlds would be more digital (HDMI and USB) inputs and a killer room correction package. I wouldn't miss a tuner, but that doesn't mean others wouldn't.

Your AVR is a great machine, it would be hard for most things to match or exceed it, but in my use, these things would do it.
post #1055 of 1398 Old 07-11-2014, 10:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Most of these idea is the reason i am holding off buying the 103-d. I know once i get it the new version would be announced.

Sub build http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...et-r-done.html
Center - JBL LC2
Mains - JBL L820
Surrounds - JBL L820
Sub - Dual UXL'18 enclosures,iNuke6000dsp
post #1056 of 1398 Old 07-11-2014, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyattroa View Post
Most of these idea is the reason i am holding off buying the 103-d. I know once i get it the new version would be announced.
Well in that case what can we do to get you to go ahead and buy?
post #1057 of 1398 Old 07-11-2014, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifiaudio2 View Post
Well in that case what can we do to get you to go ahead and buy?
Hilarious.
post #1058 of 1398 Old 07-11-2014, 11:05 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyattroa View Post
If you wait long enough, that will certainly be true, but there aren't any hints of a new product coming out any time soon. Given the state of HDMI 2.0 and physical media for handling 4K video, I suspect it will probably be another year before we see anything. No insider info, just my gut feeling.
post #1059 of 1398 Old 07-11-2014, 02:52 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
If you wait long enough, that will certainly be true, but there aren't any hints of a new product coming out any time soon. Given the state of HDMI 2.0 and physical media for handling 4K video, I suspect it will probably be another year before we see anything. No insider info, just my gut feeling.
Yes, I was just thinking a new product is overdue. Perhaps you are correct that they will wait.
post #1060 of 1398 Old 07-11-2014, 08:00 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by riffer View Post
Yes, I was just thinking a new product is overdue. Perhaps you are correct that they will wait.
I don't think it is a case of them waiting as much as it is a case of being able to begin when components are available.
post #1061 of 1398 Old 07-12-2014, 12:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 803 Post(s)
Liked: 239
^Oppo generally has a two year cycle of releasing new products. The BDP-10X series will reach their two age around end of this year. The Darbee version came in a year later, so if history is any guide the time range is 2015.

The specs for HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 has been revised recently and chip set manufacturers will have to incorporate those design changes this year and get the foundries to produce the wafers before Oppo gets them into the players. 4K media standards haven't been finalized so and no content from hollywood is going to be released anytime soon.

Again all this point to a 2015 release date for the new Oppo players.

All this is speculation on my part, so take it with a huge grain of salt.

Maranatz SR-7009, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, LG LW6500, aTV, WDTV Live, Harmony 650 remote, KEF E301+T101, MiniDSP(2x4), Emotiva 2xXPA-5 (Gen2), Rythmik 2xF12G+2xF8 (on order), HiMedia Q16 (on order).

Last edited by steveting99; 07-12-2014 at 12:02 AM. Reason: Clarification on last sentence
post #1062 of 1398 Old 07-12-2014, 05:43 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveting99 View Post
^Oppo generally has a two year cycle of releasing new products. The BDP-10X series will reach their two age around end of this year. The Darbee version came in a year later, so if history is any guide the time range is 2015.
To me the Darbee versions look like a "how do we refresh the product to last another two years" whilst they wait for HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 to be ready.
hawkfan likes this.
post #1063 of 1398 Old 07-12-2014, 08:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by rakosnicek View Post
To me the Darbee versions look like a "how do we refresh the product to last another two years" whilst they wait for HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 to be ready.
Isn't that what EVERY BD PLAYER EVER RELEASED AFTER THE FIRST MODEL is (?), lol.
Darbee is pretty good stuff though IMO. The "D" players also add a few other features that improve the player.
Below are some of the changes, some apply only to the 103D, all apply to the 105D.

~the Silicon Image VRS ClearView video processor.
(the VRS chip allows for a slightly better picture presentation do to some ever so slight undefeatable DNR in the QDEO chip.)

~the Darbee Visual Presence video processor.

~updated USB DAC interface to support DSD64 and DSD128
(the 105D can not play media files in DSD 128 -- i.e., on a directly attached USB hard drive or via the house network.
the new capability is limited to the Asynchronous USB Input only!)

~a newer firmware update for the USB DAC, can also allow acceptance of stereo LPCM at rates up to 384KHz 24-bit.
Rates above 192KHz are only available for output on the Analog outputs. (192KHz limit on the 105.)

~the ability to send DSD over HDMI on the HDMI-1 output.
(this was only possible on the HDMI-2 output of the BDP-105 and BDP-103)

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #1064 of 1398 Old 07-12-2014, 12:05 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 26
It would be a worthwhile upgrade for the 1x5 models to use Daniel Weiss's OpAmps on the Analog Outs.
post #1065 of 1398 Old 07-12-2014, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
It was a pretty good refresh. It got me to buy one.
post #1066 of 1398 Old 07-12-2014, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter
boe
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
OK - both are ready - so let's hope they have a BDP-113 ready by November.
post #1067 of 1398 Old 07-13-2014, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 803 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by boe View Post
Is this 2015 we're talking about? I'm hopeful that Oppo won't do an Emo, a la XMC-1...

Maranatz SR-7009, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, LG LW6500, aTV, WDTV Live, Harmony 650 remote, KEF E301+T101, MiniDSP(2x4), Emotiva 2xXPA-5 (Gen2), Rythmik 2xF12G+2xF8 (on order), HiMedia Q16 (on order).
post #1068 of 1398 Old 07-13-2014, 08:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveting99 View Post
Is this 2015 we're talking about? I'm hopeful that Oppo won't do an Emo, a la XMC-1...
Umm ya, 2015 is more like it.
Not trying to be a party pooper, but there is absolutely zero chance of a new Oppo player this year.
However, since there are never any absolutes, technically speaking there is a 99.999% chance that Oppo will not release a new player this year.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
post #1069 of 1398 Old 07-13-2014, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter
boe
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post
Not trying to be a party pooper, but there is absolutely zero chance of a new Oppo player this year.
Why?
post #1070 of 1398 Old 07-13-2014, 09:34 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
Why?
Because there are still far too many open issues that need to be dealt with before it makes sense for them to come out with a new player, including things like codec and media decisions for 4K content and actual availability of reliable HDMI 2.0 / HDCP 2.2 chipsets. If they came out with a player now, it would be obsolete far too soon because it's pretty much a given that 4K is still in too much flux.
post #1071 of 1398 Old 07-13-2014, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Because there are still far too many open issues that need to be dealt with before it makes sense for them to come out with a new player, including things like codec and media decisions for 4K content and actual availability of reliable HDMI 2.0 / HDCP 2.2 chipsets. If they came out with a player now, it would be obsolete far too soon because it's pretty much a given that 4K is still in too much flux.
Agree. Also (surprisingly for a product company lately) because if done to get a product out for an arbitrary date, the result would be a cynical attempt to cash in on the name, not enough of a progression to be better than the current models. Oppo seems to avoid this by design.

It's something that got me to buy two of these. Buying the 103D gives me a good, long lasting value that is stable and useful player for the future. If I bought a new model without stable HDMI 2.0, maybe ATMOS, so on, I would have a 103D+ that was less stable but implemented future features improperly.

I'd rather get a well engineered player that comes a bit later but is as rock solid and innovative as previous ones.
dnoonie likes this.
post #1072 of 1398 Old 07-14-2014, 05:52 AM - Thread Starter
boe
AVS Special Member

Does the TV need any HDCP 2.2 stuff or is it only for the playback devices such as BR players and receivers?
post #1073 of 1398 Old 07-14-2014, 06:04 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 907 Post(s)
Liked: 1135
^ HDCP is copy protection. EVERYTHING in the HDMI signal path -- including any active device such as an HDMI switch -- will need to be updated to HDCP 2.2 to pass protected 4K content. It's still not clear how an HDCP 2.2 source will react to older destination devices for less than 4K -- but still protected -- content.

Part of the problem right now is that the chips that can handle HDCP 2.2 can not *ALSO* handle the highest bandwidth formats allowed by HDMI 2.0.

It's going to be a mess -- a lot of early devices are going to become effectively obsolete faster than buyers expect. Much as happened in the transition from HDMI 1.0 to 1.2 and 1.3.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #1074 of 1398 Old 07-15-2014, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter
boe
AVS Special Member

Thanks - so if the material I'm streaming doesn't have copy protection, I shouldn't have to worry about HDCP 2.2 - right? I'm pretty sure when I convert a disc to my hard drive using makemkv it strips out the copy protection although I've never really worried about how it works - just so long as I can put my collection on a small PC instead of filling an entire chest of drawers with discs without degrading the quality.
post #1075 of 1398 Old 07-15-2014, 05:06 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ Correct. If you can figure out how to strip the copy protection stuff, then HDCP never comes into the picture.

However, the intent of the content providers is to make that much harder to do with 4K content. Whether they will have any more luck with that THIS TIME remains to be seen.
--Bob
boe likes this.

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #1076 of 1398 Old 07-15-2014, 06:02 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked: 499
I thought most HDMI devices applied HDCP regardless of the content. Not required, but easier.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #1077 of 1398 Old 07-15-2014, 06:18 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
I thought most HDMI devices applied HDCP regardless of the content. Not required, but easier.

-Bill
Nope. If the source device decides the content is not protected (e.g., most cable TV channels), then the HDCP stuff is skipped.
--Bob

post #1078 of 1398 Old 07-15-2014, 08:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked: 696
1)
If there was only one thing I could ask for of the Oppo 115 is: XLR for all channels.
That's it.

7.2 XLR or 13.2 XLR (whatever HDMI 2.0 / Atmos can do)... and of course remove the dedicated 2-ch XLR because it's redundant.

All my amplifiers are xlr-ONLY, so I'm forced to buy a multi-thousand dollar pre/pro that supports that (XMC-1, 8802 etc), or converters (Cleanbox).
Having a response that is flat to 3hz is important to me, and the XLR converters I'm using now just aren't doing it for me.
Not only that but the pre/pro and/or converters add back all the noise that the Sabre DAC worked so hard to avoid(-133db etc).

2) A HDMI-input that can decode the full TrueHD/DTS-M and/or Atmos; rather than just LPCM or Plus.
3) A USB soundcard driver that allows Audacity to record what is sent to the streamout, basically a "what you hear" function like the Asus Xonar.
4) 13.2 channel USB LPCM?
5) 1/4 and 1/8 headphone jacks
6) PEQ that goes down to 10hz.
7) XO's that goes down to 10hz with variable slope.
post #1079 of 1398 Old 07-15-2014, 10:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^ I wonder if 13.2 (or 13.1) is even necessary.
If they incorporate ATMOS decoding for analog output, and if all the channels are balanced (XLR) and of highest quality,
then the extra dedicated 2CH output may not be necessary IMO. That would put it at a more reasonable 11.1 channels.
I know some people do use the multi-ch section for movies, and the 2ch section for 2ch music,
but I really wonder how necessary it is, and if using the L/R channels of the 11.1 output could yield just as good of sound quality as the current 2ch output,
while at the same time saving some room and cost.
(Some are of the opinion that the L/R output of the current 7.1 section is already equal to the quality of the 2ch dedicated section)
I also think some of the configuration would depend on how many channels could be fit on one chip,
and even more importantly, how good of (sound) quality would the ATMOS chip be that would/could be used in the player.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
post #1080 of 1398 Old 07-16-2014, 05:17 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 28
It would be very niced of Oppo to add a simple visualization software for audio (like Play Station 3), so when I play CD / SACD on Oppo I wont have to keep looking at the screensaver logo all the time.

Last edited by sharok; 07-16-2014 at 05:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc Bdp 105