What features would you like in your next Oppo BR - e.g. Oppo BDP-113 and BDP-115. - Page 38 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 22Likes

post #1111 of 1132 Old 10-02-2014, 05:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattg3 View Post
All this is a bit discouraging when you are 67 and waiting for things to work themselves out.I just want to bring home a 65 4K Oled that provides me with the WOW factor my Pioneer cmx plasma did 11 years ago but i dont want to regret the purchase if next year HDCP 2.2 and REC 2020 make the set an obsolete mistake.Like my plasma that had no HDMI connection.
It makes it tough on the consumers when the powers that be in the industry drag things out so long and make it confusing on top of it.
All of the specs should have been confirmed BEFORE any 4k displays even went on sale.
If I were in the market to buy a new 4k set, I would try my best to wait just a little longer.
I think your needs should be properly met a year from now when everything will hopefully be more clear.
I'm sure there will still me some issues, there will ALWAYS be issues, but you have to bite the bullet at some point,
and I think for 4k, we will know more when the 4k media and players are released, and how well they work with the newest displays.
mattg3 and dnoonie like this.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1112 of 1132 Old 10-07-2014, 10:43 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post
It makes it tough on the consumers when the powers that be in the industry drag things out so long and make it confusing on top of it.
All of the specs should have been confirmed BEFORE any 4k displays even went on sale.
If I were in the market to buy a new 4k set, I would try my best to wait just a little longer.
I think your needs should be properly met a year from now when everything will hopefully be more clear.
I'm sure there will still me some issues, there will ALWAYS be issues, but you have to bite the bullet at some point,
and I think for 4k, we will know more when the 4k media and players are released, and how well they work with the newest displays.
It would be nice to change the output impedance to match the amps with less than 47 Kohm input impedance.
post #1113 of 1132 Old 10-13-2014, 10:07 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I'm thinking about sending my 105 to EVS for audio mods, but wonder if I should wait for the 115. When might that be expected? I was going to post this on the owners' thread, but someone was recently admonished for asking about 4K on that thread.

db

Thorens TD 124, SME Series III arm with Ortofon SME 30 H cartridge into Parasound JC-3 phono stage
Ayre C-5xeMP, Oppo BDP-105, & Sony XA5400ES disc players
Parasound JC-2 preamp into Proceed HPA amps
KEF Reference 107/2 mains & 102 surrounds
Velodyne SMS-1 bass managers & a pair of HGS-15 subs
post #1114 of 1132 Old 10-13-2014, 10:08 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked: 896
Best guess at this point is end of next year.
--Bob
post #1115 of 1132 Old 10-13-2014, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by boe View Post
What features would you like in your next Oppo BR player - whatever models come after the 103 and 105 as these have already been released.

[STREAMING]
4. Ability to playback streamed TrueHD audio

11. Playback of FLAC audio files.
With regard to item 04. While it's true that the current BDP-103/D and BDP-105/D players can't stream/play 'elementary' Dolby TrueHD audio only streams. Such streams can be played via USB and SMB when they are placed within the (Matroska) .mka container.

Placing any audio format type within the .mka container can bring other benefits. Indeed for those of you who are familiar with placing video and audio streams within the .mkv container, you already know that chapter navigation and chapter naming is supported. But what some of you may not be aware is, chapter (ie: track) navigation and chapter/track naming is also supported when 'audio only' streams placed within the .mka container too!

So far, I've tested the following audio formats within the .mka container: AAC-LC, HE-AAC, MP3, Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital EX, Dolby TrueHD, DTS, DTS-ES, DTS-HD MA, PCM and FLAC. On-the-hole, playback of these audio formats is pretty stable... Indeed, I've started to back-up the DTS-HD MA audio streams for all my Blu-ray audio discs to the .mka container along with a .cue file to enable track chapter navigation and track naming. But what I would like to see is 'native .mka' support for track navigation and track naming

With regard to item 11. Given that FLAC file streaming/playing is already supported with the current BDP-103/D and BDP-105/D players, there's no reason I can think of why it would not be for future Oppo players

Cheers

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear

Last edited by SeeMoreDigital; 10-13-2014 at 10:57 AM.
post #1116 of 1132 Old 10-13-2014, 06:01 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by guapote View Post
I am sure I am in the minority here but I would love to see an LCD screen on the face of the oppo that would act as a video monitor so I could use the player for audio only with no monitor....
I have occassionally thought that would be good, but do not the media apps do this? I use the media app for the 95 on an android tablet, and can at least navigate folders and choose albums and tracks (all this from an attached USB hard drive) without turning on my TV.
Yes it would be nice if the app not only displayed files and folders, but also album cover and other metadata - eg no of channels, bit and sample rate, etc.
post #1117 of 1132 Old 10-13-2014, 06:21 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 20
On another forum, I floated the idea of Oppo separating their players into two units - a basic disc transport, and a full-blown av processor with all the quality DAC and video decoders currently found in the 105/105D.

But now I am thinking, no, maybe just up the ante, and give the player full pre-amp and video decoding, increase the number of hdmi inputs (latest version hdmi, of course) and some optical/co-ax inputs, maintain the current usb connections and usb input, etc.

That is, a fully featured av processor with the disc transport.

And, of course, allow the unit to transmite not only file and folder data to a wifi remote, or tablet with app, but also all file metadata.
And allow two-way chat with a wifi remote or iOS/android app to nullify the need to turn on a display when wanting to only play audio files, so that all file data, and metadata, is visible on the remote, or the ipad/android tablet with appropriate app.

Perhaps have a cheaper basic player with limited connections (for those who simply want a good shiny disc player to connect to their pre-amps or av receivers) and this super duper all-in-one disc transport/complete av processor with many input choices, to completely nullify the need for a pre-amp or av receiver, for folks who want to go from player to power amp.

We are halfway (or more) along this track, with the 105D, so just add the extra inputs (HDMI etc), retain or increase the USB ports, refine the current network and streaming features, and hold all this until 4K discs and 4K teck is sorted out.

My main point here is the duplication of DAC and other functions in two or more components: the player, and the pre-amps or av receivers we connect our player to.
lanping09 likes this.

Last edited by madaudio; 10-13-2014 at 06:28 PM.
post #1118 of 1132 Old 10-13-2014, 10:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by boe View Post
I got an PM from Oppo User - says he works for Oppo. He said he appreciated the suggestions. If this person is from Oppo, it is great they are monitoring this thread.<br><br>
I would think AVSforum would be a great place for feedback for companies that offer mid to high end AV equipment. I think we used to see Denon more often but I haven't seen much participation by them lately.
I would like an SD port, as Panasonic does on their models.
post #1119 of 1132 Old 10-14-2014, 05:02 AM

Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by madaudio View Post
On another forum, I floated the idea of Oppo separating their players into two units - a basic disc transport, and a full-blown av processor with all the quality DAC and video decoders currently found in the 105/105D.
I suggested something similar to that last year on this site as well.

What features would you like in your next Oppo BR - e.g. Oppo BDP-113 and BDP-115.
lanping09 likes this.
post #1120 of 1132 Old 10-14-2014, 10:35 AM

I'm new to this thread and admit not having read the 1000+ previous posts, but I'd like to see Oppo add acoustic room correction for those of us who use their Oppo as the processor of their setups. In my application, the front LR from the 105 go through a Parasound JC-2 BP that by-passes its signal so it matches the level of surrounds and subs direct from Oppo to amps.

db

Thorens TD 124, SME Series III arm with Ortofon SME 30 H cartridge into Parasound JC-3 phono stage
post #1121 of 1132 Old 10-15-2014, 05:57 PM

Liked: 41
I've owned the 105 since it first came out. Here is a compilation of my wish list - starting with the most important on top:

1. Higher pre-amp output. I have the Oppo's output connected directly to my amp and the volume is in the 90's often, sometimes hitting 100 and wishing it could go higher.

2. Multi-channel DAC through the Asynchronous USB. Since I have lots of multi-channel files, I have to use HDMI and would rather use USB.

3. A button on the remote to trigger DTS Neo 6 for music (turning 2 channel into multichannel). Too much effort to turn on the TV or other display and go through set-up menu for this quick change. I have found DTS only sounds good on certain types of 2-channel music - not all. So being able to quickly change this setting on the fly is very important to me.

4. Dedicated buttons on the remote to control front/rear balance. Not all discs are recorded the same. Some tracks may have too much going to the rear and I want to manually turn those down (or the opposite). Going through the set-up menu and adjusting each speaker is very tedious.

5. A small display to control set-up options.

6. All inputs (USB & HDMI) should be capable of DSD in both stereo and multichannel.

Oppo BDP-105 Blu-Ray
Spectron Premiere MKII 7 Channel Class D Amp (500w x 7)
2 Anthony Gallo Reference SA Amps
5 Anthony Gallo Reference 3.5 Speakers
Sunfire Super JR Subwoofer
Sony Z2 Series laptop as dedicated HTPC
post #1122 of 1132 Old 10-15-2014, 06:03 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked: 896
^ The latest OPPO MediaControl app for iOS and Android (which also requires the Public Beta firmware or later), includes the ability to view/change the Setup menu settings from your portable device. You can use that to change the DTS Neo:6 Setting for example. Basically you can do anything you could do via your TV screen and the Setup menu.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #1123 of 1132 Old 10-15-2014, 06:11 PM

Liked: 41
Thanks Bob, that's good to know and certainly better than having to turn on my display. I generally wait for official firmware updates and don't use the Beta's, so I'll have to wait a little longer to try it out.

I would still prefer a simple button on the remote for DTS. The remote is usually more accessible than my tablet. Then I have to load the app, make the connection, etc. to change this simple setting.

I often listen to my playlists in Foobar which consists of various types of music mixed together. Some 2-channel sources benefit from DTS while others don't. Also I control the front/rear balance often on multichannel music. The current set-up menu (and I would presume on the app as well) allows control of each channel, but no easy and quick way to adjust front/rear balance.

But I appreciate the lesson on the new app!

Oppo BDP-105 Blu-Ray
Spectron Premiere MKII 7 Channel Class D Amp (500w x 7)
2 Anthony Gallo Reference SA Amps
5 Anthony Gallo Reference 3.5 Speakers
Sunfire Super JR Subwoofer
Sony Z2 Series laptop as dedicated HTPC
post #1124 of 1132 Old 10-17-2014, 11:44 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardV View Post

4. Dedicated buttons on the remote to control front/rear balance. Not all discs are recorded the same. Some tracks may have too much going to the rear and I want to manually turn those down (or the opposite). Going through the set-up menu and adjusting each speaker is very tedious.
I second that. Some disks are pretty annoying that way, as much as 6db too loud in the rear channel, must have gotten transferred wrong somehow.
post #1125 of 1132 Old 10-18-2014, 10:04 PM

Liked: 11
I'm about to drop $600 on a 103D. Does anyone think the next generation (113) is coming anytime soon? If it has a chance to be out within the next 6-8 months, I may just wait.
post #1126 of 1132 Old 10-18-2014, 10:12 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbotron View Post
I'm about to drop $600 on a 103D. Does anyone think the next generation (113) is coming anytime soon? If it has a chance to be out within the next 6-8 months, I may just wait.
OPPO hasn't given definite plans. Most of us expect the 4k disc developments to settle first. That means toward the end of 2015 at best.

-Bill
post #1127 of 1132 Old Yesterday, 11:42 AM

Is it too early to have an idea what will be new in an Oppo 115?

db

post #1128 of 1132 Old Yesterday, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I'd like to see Amazon Prime streaming myself.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Snake Plissken

post #1129 of 1132 Old Yesterday, 03:06 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbphd View Post
Is it too early to have an idea what will be new in an Oppo 115?

db
Too early. No one has any info.

-Bill
post #1130 of 1132 Old Yesterday, 03:16 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I too have skipped the middle 1000 posts but will the future versions be equipped to handle things like Atmos?
Although that is partly an AVR issue.
post #1131 of 1132 Old Yesterday, 03:19 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyMan View Post
I too have skipped the middle 1000 posts but will the future versions be equipped to handle things like Atmos?
Any player that bitstreams Dolby TrueHD can offer Atmos now. You wouldn't want analog output for that in the player; it is more of an AVR function.

-Bill
post #1132 of 1132 Old Yesterday, 04:19 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyMan View Post
None of the posts on this thread are stating with any certainty what WILL be in future products from Oppo. This thread is more of a wish list. As Bill said, existing players should be able to bitstream Atmos to a compatible AVR without any problems (though from early reports, there may be some issues with some older Bluray players).
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page