What features would you like in your next Oppo BR - e.g. Oppo BDP-113 and BDP-115. - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 7Likes

post #91 of 1056 Old 01-10-2012, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by frombhto323 View Post

Another feature I would love to see implemented.

Yes I assumed IP control was implemented as it is a feature of many other brands.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1056 Old 01-10-2012, 07:20 AM - Thread Starter
boe
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theresa View Post

I am female and don't like action movies all that much, but don't read Consumer Reports. Over 90% of my viewing is non-action movies and television (via Netflix). I average a dvd/BD per day in addition to online viewing. I had a 40" and it was too small after several years of use, 50" has proved to be more than sufficient and provides enough definition for me.

That makes sense. I can understand why you may not want a small screen, hopefully you can understand why some people would want a big screen as well.
post #93 of 1056 Old 01-10-2012, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Of course . And I would expect that Oppo have upsampling to 4k too. Its going to be just like 3D, present almost universally but largely unused.
post #94 of 1056 Old 01-10-2012, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
I think she can boe 'cause I think she's a psychiatrist.

Please don't confront me with my failures, I'm aware of them. - Greg Allman
post #95 of 1056 Old 01-10-2012, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich3fan View Post

I think she can boe 'cause I think she's a psychiatrist.

I used to be a psychiatric RN but am disabled now.
post #96 of 1056 Old 01-10-2012, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Sorry. Openmouthandinsertfoot disease is part of my nature.

Please don't confront me with my failures, I'm aware of them. - Greg Allman
post #97 of 1056 Old 01-10-2012, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter
boe
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Of course . And I would expect that Oppo have upsampling to 4k too. Its going to be just like 3D, present almost universally but largely unused.

I think you are definitely right that not everyone will use 4K anytime soon but I consider the Oppo a high end BR player even though the price to me is very reasonable. I think the people who choose an oppo over cheap costco stuff are also able to appreciate 4K. I wouldn't care about 4K on a 50" set. Not even sure if I'd care about it on 65 (OK, I'd want it ) but I do hope within 2 years to have an 85" 4K TV dominating my living room leaving absolutely no room for fung shui (fung can hang out in the dining room if he feels crowded in my living room). At 85" I really do want 4K res. I've seen it and it is a joy to behold.

I'm going to break down and get a 65" for the bedroom as I can't wait another year or two for a 4K 65" screen (my old 35" tube has had problems with the color for a year so we almost never watch it), anything larger would be as you say too big in this case but in my living room, I really want a home theater.
post #98 of 1056 Old 01-10-2012, 09:12 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

If possible include digital inputs (optical and coaxial) especially on the 95 so one can ultilize the excellent DACs with an outboard source.

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG ED View Post

Oppo... I mean Ditto!

Quote:
Originally Posted by a3aan View Post

Including usb input for the same reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagnerc View Post

Me too! (digital inputs)

A web interface similar to a Sonos would also be great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frombhto323 View Post

Absolutely +1.

EDIT: I'll add that I now have a 93 that I bought to replace the 95 I had. Loved the 95, but sold it only because it did not have digital inputs. Bought a Cary 306 SACD Pro to replace it. Not as big a jump in SQ as you might imagine. Incidentally, I spoke with an Oppo tech rep a couple of months ago about them possibly adding this feature in future models, or at least offering a stand-alone DAC. He said that have been internal discussions about both possibilities, but nothing has been decided (and when I say nothing has been decided, it means just that). As always, stay tuned...

I'll also add that I would like the digital inputs to be capable up to 24/192 (at least) and be able to decode both HDCD and DSD. Hey, as long as we are dreaming, dream big!
post #99 of 1056 Old 01-10-2012, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter
boe
AVS Special Member

post #100 of 1056 Old 01-10-2012, 02:20 PM

Liked: 16
Assuming this year's new product uses the newer MediaTek SOC http://www.mtk.com.tw/en/Products/fe...ntent.php?sn=4 then digital inputs appear a possibility
post #101 of 1056 Old 01-11-2012, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter
boe
AVS Special Member

Now that I got to compare my Oppo with a cheaper Sony I'm even more happy with my investment a year ago. Can't wait to see what they do with their next player. A client of mine was about to buy another BR player and convinced him easily to get the Oppo instead.
post #102 of 1056 Old 01-11-2012, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boe View Post

Now that I got to compare my Oppo with a cheaper Sony I'm even more happy with my investment a year ago. Can't wait to see what they do with their next player. A client of mine was about to buy another BR player and convinced him easily to get the Oppo instead.

I bought a reconditioned Sony 570 BD player direct from Sony and I was so unsatisfied I bought the Oppo 93 too. Doesn't build quality matter anymore? The Sony is a real piece of junk. I think IP control and a modern Netflix implementation are what I'd like to see.
post #103 of 1056 Old 01-11-2012, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter
boe
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I bought a reconditioned Sony 570 BD player direct from Sony and I was so unsatisfied I bought the Oppo 93 too. Doesn't build quality matter anymore? The Sony is a real piece of junk. I think IP control and a modern Netflix implementation are what I'd like to see.

I have the 5000es still (in my bedroom) and it is a great player but doesn't have any streaming capabilities so I want to replace it. I think Oppo can really make a difference if they up the ante on their next BR player. I hope it will be available soon as I pretty much watch the bulk of my TV via streaming.
post #104 of 1056 Old 01-11-2012, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have the 5000es still (in my bedroom) and it is a great player but doesn't have any streaming capabilities so I want to replace it. I think Oppo can really make a difference if they up the ante on their next BR player. I hope it will be available soon as I pretty much watch the bulk of my TV via streaming.

Its good to hear that Sony's high end players are competitive. I've had two of Sony's low end players and both are constructed cheaply. I am very satisfied with the Oppo though.
post #105 of 1056 Old 01-11-2012, 10:41 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:

think IP control and a modern Netflix implementation are what I'd like to see.

+1

But I see no reason those features can't be in the current players
post #106 of 1056 Old 01-11-2012, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by purdyd View Post

+1

But I see no reason those features can't be in the current players

AFAIK there isn't and I'm hoping Oppo adds them.
post #107 of 1056 Old 01-11-2012, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk1843 View Post

-HD-DVD compatibility for truly universal player

I have over 200 HD DVD's, this would be a great selling point there are alot of HD DVD's out there, Oppo would sell alot more players just on this point alone being that it would be the only player to have HD DVD playback capability
post #108 of 1056 Old 01-11-2012, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

AFAIK there isn't and I'm hoping Oppo adds them.

the oppo 93 started off with the older netflix interface. it has been updated once already. hopefully we are able to get another sometime down the road.
I use the netflix on the oppo 93 more then panasonic 210 or the ps3.
Jacob
post #109 of 1056 Old 01-11-2012, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob305 View Post

the oppo 93 started off with the older netflix interface. it has been updated once already. hopefully we are able to get another sometime down the road.
I use the netflix on the oppo 93 more then panasonic 210 or the ps3.
Jacob

What I'd really like to see (hear) is 5.1 DD+.
post #110 of 1056 Old 01-11-2012, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What I'd really like to see (hear) is 5.1 DD+.

panasonic 210 models can do the DD+.
have you checked out vudu on the oppo? it can also do DD+.
Jacob
post #111 of 1056 Old 01-11-2012, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob305 View Post

panasonic 210 models can do the DD+.
have you checked out vudu on the oppo? it can also do DD+.
Jacob

No, I meant 5.1 DD+ with Netflix as a few other players can do. I'm really not interested in the Panasonic as I have the Oppo.
post #112 of 1056 Old 01-11-2012, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No, I meant 5.1 DD+ with Netflix as a few other players can do. I'm really not interested in the Panasonic as I have the Oppo.

I understand that. hopefully the oppo 93 does get it.
I did watch the girl with the dragon tattoo extended edition off of vudu from the oppo 93 and it has DD+.

Jacob
post #113 of 1056 Old 01-12-2012, 10:56 AM

Liked: 25
The 93 and 95 have the current bases pretty well covered. Some of the current shortcomings such as the Netflix and Pandora Widgets are beyond OPPO's control.

The introduction of a new player now or in the near future might be a step backward. It is my understanding that the Blu-Ray License requires limiting Component Video Outputs to 480i for players introduced after January 1, 2012. There may be other requirements as well. So, any players introduced now or in the future will further limit how we can use what we have purchased. It looks more and more like the Media Companies have merely lent us what we have paid for and we don't really own it.

What's on the horizon that might make a new OPPO player attractive or a must buy item?

4K is getting a lot of press at CES. Until and if 4K media becomes available it isn't an issue for a player. The up conversion is going to take place in the Display Device. Given the paranoia of the Media Companies, I don't expect to see much, if any, 4K Titles released in the next year or two. The exception might be a few demos or Titles made available bundled with 4K Displays ala Avatar 3D with Panasonic 3D Displays.

Ethernet over HDMI is an optional part of the HDMI 1.4 spec. If any AVR/AVP maker implements it, the required Ethernet Switch should be in the AVR/AVP, it then becomes a desirable feature in a BDP.

It would also be nice to have HDMI over Ethernet in a future OPPO. Once again, in order to be of much use it also needs to be implemented in the AVR/AVP.

While I haven't seen all of the details of the 55" OLED Displays being shown by LG and Samsung at CES, it would not surprise me if the only connection required was a single Ethernet Cable. Power would be provided via POE, Signal via HDMI over Ethernet and Internet.

To sum up, I don't really see a need for a new player from OPPO for the next 18 to 24 Months. Any earlier and what is given up through new Blu-Ray License requirements won't be repaid through extra functionality.
post #114 of 1056 Old 01-12-2012, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter
boe
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDHolmes View Post

The 93 and 95 have the current bases pretty well covered. Some of the current shortcomings such as the Netflix and Pandora Widgets are beyond OPPO's control.

While you are of course entitled to your opinions I would strongly disagree with some of what you believe. The streaming of media from computers is becoming increasingly popular. This IMHO is the current biggest weakness of the current model - the interface and the wireless network card both could use a serious overhaul and that could be done pretty quickly. I'm in IT and I do installs for major CEO's in LA so I work with a lot of custom HT installers and while all agree Oppo is an excellent player - most require hard lines run for networking as they all say the Oppo wireless is very poor. Many are doing library systems for these people and they aren't thrilled with the library menuing system in the Oppo.

Quote:

The introduction of a new player now or in the near future might be a step backward. It is my understanding that the Blu-Ray License requires limiting Component Video Outputs to 480i for players introduced after January 1, 2012. There may be other requirements as well. So, any players introduced now or in the future will further limit how we can use what we have purchased. It looks more and more like the Media Companies have merely lent us what we have paid for and we don't really own it..

Are you speaking of component out as 3 color component out? I don't think there are any limitations on HDMI out which is pretty much the standard. I could of course be wrong.

[quote=RDHolmes;21482717]4K is getting a lot of press at CES. Until and if 4K media becomes available it isn't an issue for a player. The up conversion is going to take place in the Display Device. Given the paranoia of the Media Companies, I don't expect to see much, if any, 4K Titles released in the next year or two. The exception might be a few demos or Titles made available bundled with 4K Displays ala Avatar 3D with Panasonic 3D Displays.[quote=RDHolmes;21482717]

I don't expect to really care about having 4K on a BR player this year but I would hope it is on the table for the follow up one as I'd hope Oppo has a new BR player in the next few months and yes if they come out with one within 18 months after I get a new one this year I'll buy that model and replace my 93 at at that point and so on. Even if no native streaming media or optical media will be ready - they can still upscale. The 93 does a fantastic job of upscaling even standard definition and 720 p streamed media. It also does a wonderful job of upscaling DVDs. No reason when I get a 4K TV in a couple of years it can't upscale my DVDs and BR discs as well as my computer library.

Quote:

To sum up, I don't really see a need for a new player from OPPO for the next 18 to 24 Months. Any earlier and what is given up through new Blu-Ray License requirements won't be repaid through extra functionality.

To sum it up - you don't need a BR player at the moment so you don't see a reason why the rest of us who do need one should get any improvement over the old 93? Should Oppo call you and schedule a date when you do need a BR player before they improve their products?
post #115 of 1056 Old 01-12-2012, 01:54 PM

Liked: 10
SACD-R ISO playback would be nice.
post #116 of 1056 Old 01-12-2012, 02:18 PM

Liked: 25
Quote:

While you are of course entitled to your opinions I would strongly disagree with some of what you believe. The streaming of media from computers is becoming increasingly popular. This IMHO is the current biggest weakness of the current model - the interface and the wireless network card both could use a serious overhaul and that could be done pretty quickly. I'm in IT and I do installs for major CEO's in LA so I work with a lot of custom HT installers and while all agree Oppo is an excellent player - most require hard lines run for networking as they all say the Oppo wireless is very poor. Many are doing library systems for these people and they aren't thrilled with the library menuing system in the Oppo.

Are you speaking of component out as 3 color component out? I don't think there are any limitations on HDMI out which is pretty much the standard. I could of course be wrong.

It is three color component out that I was referring to. Many folks are using older Receivers and/or Displays that do not have HDMI. They are not going to buy a Blu-Ray player that has crippled or no Component Video output.

I do not currently own a BDP-93 or 95. I am planning to buy a 95 later this year when budget and better-half will allow it. The 95 currently has everything I need and am likely to need for the next 18 to 24 Months and, most likely, longer. I am not on the fence waiting for OPPO to announce a new player. The only reason for not doing it today is stated above.
post #117 of 1056 Old 01-12-2012, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter
boe
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It is three color component out that I was referring to. Many folks are using older Receivers and/or Displays that do not have HDMI. They are not going to buy a Blu-Ray player that has crippled or no Component Video output.

I can understand that and I would suggest those people who have a TVs 9 years old and beyond (as my 8 year old TV - connected to an Oppo 93 has DVI which can be linked to HDMI) probably aren't in the target market for a state of the art BR player. I think they probably are more likely the $100 and $200 BR player target market or the used oppo 83 market. I think there is probably a pretty good sized market with TVs that are less than a decade old that might like new features added to the existing Oppo 93 and 95 designs. I'll be getting a new TV this summer and a new BR player for the bedroom and as much as I like my 93, I certainly want a newer model of the Oppo to go with my new TV.
post #118 of 1056 Old 01-12-2012, 06:50 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:

I can understand that and I would suggest those people who have a TVs 9 years old and beyond (as my 8 year old TV has DVI which can be linked to HDMI) probably aren't in the target market for a state of the art BR player. I think they probably are more likely the $100 and $200 BR player target market or the used oppo 83 market.

At least some of those people have the very best CRT front projectors that were ever built and still give even the very best new non-CRT projectors a run for their money. Those people aren't going to be satisfied with a cheap player. Unless is rendered useless, the HDFury is an option for those people as it will allow them to use a player that only has HDMI for video with their old projector.
post #119 of 1056 Old 01-13-2012, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter
boe
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

At least some of those people have the very best CRT front projectors that were ever built and still give even the very best new non-CRT projectors a run for their money. Those people aren't going to be satisfied with a cheap player. Unless is rendered useless, the HDFury is an option for those people as it will allow them to use a player that only has HDMI for video with their old projector.

Sure and those people can get an Oppo 93 or 83 however some of us who can benefit from an improved Oppo would like them to continue to improve their BR players. It seems foolish to stop progress because the people with component only wouldn't benefit from a new Oppo when so many with a TV built in the last decade could take advantage of an improved Oppo.
post #120 of 1056 Old 01-13-2012, 12:11 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:

Sure and those people can get an Oppo 93 or 83 however some of us who can benefit from an improved Oppo would like them to continue to improve their BR players. It seems foolish to stop progress because the people with component only wouldn't benefit from a new Oppo when so many with a TV built in the last decade could take advantage of an improved Oppo.

I don't think any of us are suggesting that there will never be a need for a new player or that progress should stop. All I was getting at is that at least some of the people using older displays ARE customers who are most definitely interested in the very best products available. These people aren't cheap, as you seem to be suggesting (by saying they would be interested in $100-200 players) - in their opinion the new display options have not yet surpassed what they currently have and in some ways, that's actually true (black levels, for example). But the gab is closing quickly, so those people will probably have current options available that they'll be happy with before too long.

But that doesn't mean that progress should stop because new products won't work on those older devices. There's not much (actually there really isn't anything) the player manufacturers can do about the rules that prevent component video from being present on new players.

The thing is that there's still room for Oppo to improve the current platform without the need to introduce a new platform. I'm sure they're balancing that with the costs involved with getting a new platform out the door. We all know a new player will come along at some point, but I'm pretty sure it won't be in the next few months.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page