What features would you like in your next Oppo BR - e.g. Oppo BDP-113 and BDP-115. - Page 40 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: DIRAC Live Software
Yes 23 63.89%
No 13 36.11%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-19-2014, 04:06 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 746 Post(s)
Liked: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbphd View Post
Is it too early to have an idea what will be new in an Oppo 115?

db
Too early. No one has any info.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2014, 04:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I too have skipped the middle 1000 posts but will the future versions be equipped to handle things like Atmos?
Although that is partly an AVR issue.
Old 10-19-2014, 04:19 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyMan View Post
I too have skipped the middle 1000 posts but will the future versions be equipped to handle things like Atmos?
Any player that bitstreams Dolby TrueHD can offer Atmos now. You wouldn't want analog output for that in the player; it is more of an AVR function.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Old 10-19-2014, 05:19 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyMan View Post
None of the posts on this thread are stating with any certainty what WILL be in future products from Oppo. This thread is more of a wish list. As Bill said, existing players should be able to bitstream Atmos to a compatible AVR without any problems (though from early reports, there may be some issues with some older Bluray players).
Old 10-21-2014, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
OPPO hasn't given definite plans. Most of us expect the 4k disc developments to settle first. That means toward the end of 2015 at best.

-Bill
They usually come out October/November, so I'm guessing next year it might be 4k if everything is set. Who knows with 4K. It will be great if it is. I'm more interested if it would add atmos. The 105 is $1200 but I wonder what a 4K Atmos Oppo will cost.
Old 10-21-2014, 11:42 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post
They usually come out October/November, so I'm guessing next year it might be 4k if everything is set. Who knows with 4K. It will be great if it is. I'm more interested if it would add atmos. The 105 is $1200 but I wonder what a 4K Atmos Oppo will cost.
Apart from bitstreaming Dolby TrueHD, which the players do now, what would a player need in the way of Atmos support?

-Bill

Old 10-21-2014, 11:52 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
Apart from bitstreaming Dolby TrueHD, which the players do now, what would a player need in the way of Atmos support?
More analog outputs, another DAC and supporting circuitry, and built-in Atmos decoding, apparently.

Personally, I don't see any point in simply decoding an Atmos stream and sending it out via HDMI as LPCM as any AVR (or pre-pro) that could properly handle that LPCM stream should already have Atmos decoding built in so there's no point in increasing the cost of the Bluray player to add redundant capabilities. We're not in a situation like we were when Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master Audio started showing up where current AVR's could handle 7.1 LPCM but couldn't accept Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master Audio bitstreams.
Old 10-21-2014, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 90
With regard to Dolby Atmos, I wonder if would be technically possible to utilize two HDMI outputs to feed two amplifiers. One to feed the low level speaker channels and the other to feed the high level speaker channels. Has anybody thought about this?

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
Old 10-21-2014, 04:09 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
With regard to Dolby Atmos, I wonder if would be technically possible to utilize two HDMI outputs to feed two amplifiers. One to feed the low level speaker channels and the other to feed the high level speaker channels. Has anybody thought about this?
I assume you mean feeding 2 AVR's via HDMI. It would theoretically be possible, but would be a PITA to deal with things like room correction, volume control, configuring which channels go out of each HDMI output, etc. It's not something I would encourage a manufacturer to support as it would be a support nightmare and just feels like a very hacked together solution.

My feeling is that Atmos is a luxury option in a hobby that's already a luxury. If you can't afford to do it right, stick with a 5.1 or 7.1 channel system. I would rather see someone spend the same money to upgrade their existing speakers than go with a cobbled together Atmos system. It's not as though a new Atmos capable AVR is a huge investment anyway (and the existing AVR might be worth a few bucks on ebay to help offset the cost).
Old 10-22-2014, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
I assume you mean feeding 2 AVR's via HDMI. It would theoretically be possible, but would be a PITA to deal with things like room correction, volume control, configuring which channels go out of each HDMI output, etc. It's not something I would encourage a manufacturer to support as it would be a support nightmare and just feels like a very hacked together solution.
I wonder if any 'Atmos' surround sound amplifier manufacturers ever considered adding an HDMI output link to supply another surround sound amplifier for the high level speakers. The software for the main amplifier could control the set-up of the other amplifier.... Just a thought

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
Old 10-22-2014, 09:03 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
I wonder if any 'Atmos' surround sound amplifier manufacturers ever considered adding an HDMI output link to supply another surround sound amplifier for the high level speakers. The software for the main amplifier could control the set-up of the other amplifier.... Just a thought
Why would they need to do this?? Every Atmos AVR or surround sound processor will either have the appropriate number of speaker outputs and/or preamp outputs to feed power amps to handle the Atmos channels. What you're suggesting would just over complicate things, add to the cost, etc.
Smarty-pants likes this.
Old 10-22-2014, 11:11 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
I wont count on Atmos or Auro since there are just a limited number of people who can use such setup in their homes. Why would Oppo increase the cost of their players for a very very limited number of people? It just doesn't make sense.
AVfile likes this.
Old 10-23-2014, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharok View Post
I wont count on Atmos or Auro since there are just a limited number of people who can use such setup in their homes. Why would Oppo increase the cost of their players for a very very limited number of people? It just doesn't make sense.
A few number of people buy the Oppo in general. They added 7.1 to the 103, if they didn't, they could bring the cost down also. So, why would they not try to add Atmos to it? They added the darbee to the 103 and 105. I'm sure if they can make a profit, they will try. You can pick up a BD player for less than $100 but that has not stopped Oppo from putting out a $1300 BD player. I think when anyone say why would they incorporate something that so few people use to a product like the Oppo is a little silly. Its a very expensive player that a limited number a people buy anyways. I definitely would not be surprised if they added Atmos or Auro 3D to it. I would not be surprised if they didn't. Adding $200-$300 to the cost of the player is not going to hurt them.
Old 10-24-2014, 10:09 AM

Quote:
A few number of people buy the Oppo in general. They added 7.1 to the 103, if they didn't, they could bring the cost down also. So, why would they not try to add Atmos to it? They added the darbee to the 103 and 105. I'm sure if they can make a profit, they will try. You can pick up a BD player for less than $100 but that has not stopped Oppo from putting out a $1300 BD player. I think when anyone say why would they incorporate something that so few people use to a product like the Oppo is a little silly. Its a very expensive player that a limited number a people buy anyways. I definitely would not be surprised if they added Atmos or Auro 3D to it. I would not be surprised if they didn't. Adding $200-$300 to the cost of the player is not going to hurt them.
I see your point. It may be $200 to $300 for Atmos. But it also depends on their priorities and what else they'd add to the upcoming one. Everything they add to it, will increase the cost. But again as you said, they may do it.
Old 10-24-2014, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter
boe
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
I see your point. It may be $200 to $300 for Atmos. But it also depends on their priorities and what else they'd add to the upcoming one. Everything they add to it, will increase the cost. But again as you said, they may do it.
Since the bulk of my wants for the next Oppo are streaming related, I'd be fine if Oppo released a very high end streaming device like a Roku maybe more like a asus chromebox but with extremely high end components for top notch audio processing. I might even stop getting their BR players if they offered a high end streaming device as I just rip all my new discs to my PC so I don't have to get the disc out to use it and so I always have a backup.
Old 10-24-2014, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boe View Post
Since the bulk of my wants for the next Oppo are streaming related, I'd be fine if Oppo released a very high end streaming device like a Roku maybe more like a asus chromebox but with extremely high end components for top notch audio processing. I might even stop getting their BR players if they offered a high end streaming device as I just rip all my new discs to my PC so I don't have to get the disc out to use it and so I always have a backup.
I ripped all my CDs and saved them to a 1 TB laptop. I use wireless HDMI to my AVR (Denon 3808) and I also use a visualization software (soundspectrum Aeon / G-Force) on the laptop. The laptop transfers PCM/Visualization to the AVR through wireless HDMI (Nyrius pro) and then the AVR uses AL24 to upsample the 16 bit CD quality to 24 bit. The audio quality is nice (can be better using a better pre/pro) and the picture looks great.
I wanted to take the streaming route, but the easiest way for me to transfer CD audio and visualization together was with wireless HDMI.

The only thing that I don't like about my setup is that my laptop cannot play SACD. I have to play the physical disk (SACD) in Oppo. As a result, I cannot play visualization with it, but it is minor to me since I do not have many SACDs.

I don't know if that works for you, but just a suggestion.

Last edited by sharok; 10-24-2014 at 03:00 PM.
Old 10-25-2014, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter
boe
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I ripped all my CDs and saved them to a 1 TB laptop. I use wireless HDMI to my AVR (Denon 3808) and I also use a visualization software (soundspectrum Aeon / G-Force) on the laptop. The laptop transfers PCM/Visualization to the AVR through wireless HDMI (Nyrius pro) and then the AVR uses AL24 to upsample the 16 bit CD quality to 24 bit. The audio quality is nice (can be better using a better pre/pro) and the picture looks great.
I wanted to take the streaming route, but the easiest way for me to transfer CD audio and visualization together was with wireless HDMI.

The only thing that I don't like about my setup is that my laptop cannot play SACD. I have to play the physical disk (SACD) in Oppo. As a result, I cannot play visualization with it, but it is minor to me since I do not have many SACDs.

I don't know if that works for you, but just a suggestion.

Thanks - not really an option as my server is big (it has 27TB of storage) and a little loud even though I've done a LOT to make it as quiet as possible. It will require a bigger case when I move to a 60TB server next year. I'd also want it to be accessible from my living room and bedroom. I may have to build a HTPC for streaming from my server or wait for something like the asus chromebox to make a higher end unit with hdmi 2.0 and better audio handling capabilities as well as the ability to be controlled with a standard IR remote.
Old 10-25-2014, 09:16 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Steaming players

Previously I would have suggested looking at Dune HD players but strange things are happening with that company. They had a beautiful product ... didn't sell enough?

http://dune-hd.com/eng/products/full_hd_media_players/

Some of the changes in Dune products for BluRay ISO/folder playback make me wonder if Hollywood tried to shut them down or...

Anyway, the impending gap that will be left by Dune seems to be being replaced by Mede8er:

http://www.mede8er.com/mede8er_product_med1000x3d.htm

btw, does anyone have one of the Oppo HA-1 units? (completely unrelated to this thread.)

Last edited by rakosnicek; 10-25-2014 at 10:59 PM.
Old 10-25-2014, 09:43 PM - Thread Starter
boe
AVS Special Member

Thanks I read up on the Dune - so far a lot of people don't think it is ready for prime time yet. (issues with quality control, LPCM, DTS-MA and DD True HD playback issues, 7.1 tracks, problems with forced subs on mkv files) this leaves me pretty close to having an oppo with reliability issues but a more advanced menu.

I'm hoping that the Dune really evolves within the next year or something like the asus chromebox takes a huge step forward. I could build a HTPC that can actually do everything well but it won't look great unless I spend over $1000 on the case and nearly another $1000 on the parts. I admit, I'm still playing with the idea and once I have all of my movies converted - another 850 to go (300 done so far), I'll revisit building a htpc if a quality mass produced playback device isn't available at that time. So far I have 10 TB of TV shows and 8TB of movies on my current server and won't be building my new 60TB server until next June. Who knows, maybe xbox will be the leader by then

Last edited by boe; 10-25-2014 at 10:07 PM.
Old 10-26-2014, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter
boe
AVS Special Member

I love the fact that even though this unit is 2 years old they are continuing to introduce new features. They are slowly improving items I'm sure many have suggested in addition to myself. That sort of commitment to their customers makes me want to keep buying Oppo products.

You can now stop a streamed movie, turn off your oppo and pick up where you left off - just like physical media has had for a while.
Sorry for the low quality pictures.

In the past you didn't get any thumbnail for MKV - they are working on it as you can see the thumbnail if you play some of the movie and go back to the menu but if you scroll up or down and go back to the movie the thumbnail goes away again.

I've tried to update the first post to include the updates Oppo has included that were on my wish list. If any others on my list have been included in more current firmware please let me know.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Resume.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	332098   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	127.8 KB
ID:	332106   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	115.6 KB
ID:	332114  
dnoonie likes this.

Last edited by boe; 10-26-2014 at 11:24 AM.
Old 11-13-2014, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 328
Ok - one can dream....

IP access to the Oppo 2XX color lookup table - external setting, reading and manipulation.

There. I said it.
Old 11-13-2014, 09:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 38
The next OPPO player must have the following;

(1) HDMI 2.0
(2) USB 3.0
(3) Darbee!!!!!
(4) Netflix 4k support.
(5) A Faster Quad Core CPU.
Old 11-14-2014, 05:03 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
(1) HDMI 2.0
(2) USB 3.0
(3) Darbee!!!!! Dosn't it already have this?
(4) Netflix 4k support.
(5) A Faster Quad Core CPU.
(6) Support for 4k Bluray.
(7) Analog in.
(8) Analog domain, digital volume control.
(9) More then 2V RMS output also from RCA.
(10) fix the issue that it digitaly clips signal if driven at full volume.

Last edited by Alexi; 11-14-2014 at 05:12 AM.
Old 11-14-2014, 05:27 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexi View Post
(8) Analog domain, digital volume control.
Huh?
Old 11-14-2014, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
Huh?
Digitaly controlled analog volume control, like the one you have in almost every AVR. Like this chip: BURR BROWN PGA2320

Last edited by Alexi; 11-14-2014 at 05:33 AM.
Old 11-14-2014, 05:34 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
Like the one you have in almost every AVR. Like this chip: BURR BROWN PGA2320
Digitally CONTROLLED is the key here - the wording in your original post wasn't clear to me .
Old 11-14-2014, 05:44 AM

Quote:
(1) HDMI 2.0
(10) fix the issue that it digitaly clips signal if driven at full volume.
Maybe I should also clarify this. It's easy to test, if you run a Square wave from a tone generator or on a CD, and look at the output on an Osciloscope it will be clipped if volume level is above 97 (or was it -03, cant remember if 99 or 00 was max).
Old 11-14-2014, 10:16 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Maybe I should also clarify this. It's easy to test, if you run a Square wave from a tone generator or on a CD, and look at the output on an Osciloscope it will be clipped if volume level is above 97 (or was it -03, cant remember if 99 or 00 was max).
HDMI 2.0 will not be of much use without HDCP 2.2.

Bob Holmes
Curmudgeon
Old 11-14-2014, 11:39 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 704 Post(s)
Liked: 1063
Quote:
Which model are you talking about? Which firmware? Which Analog outputs if using a 95, 105, or 105D? I'm not aware of a problem like this. Is the CD content being driven at reference level or peak?
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Old 11-14-2014, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
Which model are you talking about? Which firmware? Which Analog outputs if using a 95, 105, or 105D? I'm not aware of a problem like this. Is the CD content being driven at reference level or peak?
--Bob
It was a 105EU test was done in june for a swedish magazine by professionals, output was RCA. Firmware was latest avalible at the time. I think we used a 400Hz square wave from a digital signal generator.
I didn't do the measurements, that's not my expertise.

Last edited by Alexi; 11-14-2014 at 12:57 PM.

Tags
Oppo , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc Bdp 105