What features would you like in your next Oppo BR - e.g. Oppo BDP-113 and BDP-115. - Page 40 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 29Likes

post #1171 of 1195 Old 11-24-2014, 04:44 PM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 966 Post(s)
Liked: 1100
Sounds like OPPO just needs to get around to making their own surround sound processor.

Way too much audio related stuff being crammed into these now.

Just keep making and improving your excellent BD player(s).

Thank you for being an awesome company.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 1195 Old 11-25-2014, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 70
I have posted this before but if Oppo would make a more dedicated music player by say working with JRiver they could kill. The Media control Ap is broke and not that great.
post #1173 of 1195 Old 11-29-2014, 12:02 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Smile

I love my BDP-105 but am frustrated by the media playback capabilities. If they were to improve the following I would buy it immediatly:

1 - forget about building your own media interface - it's rubbish and there are beautiful open source alternatives out there that would blow you away such as XBMC. Incorporate XBMC or a custom port of your own liking (such as Pivos XIOS TOFU).

2 - better support for .mkv files - currently they have to be a specific type and most of my MKVs have to be re-converted to play on the Oppo.

3 - provide eSATA port for better/stabler direct attached disks including support for RAID enclosures that can provide >10TB of space.

:-)
post #1174 of 1195 Old 11-29-2014, 12:42 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudiK View Post
3 - provide eSATA port for better/stabler direct attached disks including support for RAID enclosures that can provide >10TB of space.

:-)
Yes, cool idea, eSATA with port multiplier support would be great but really an eSATA would support all types of high performance direct attached storage.

I was considering this when I made my post a few days ago but USB 3 and Ethernet would really do the same so I couldn't think of a really compelling reason eSATA would be needed. If it had it I might use it but I'd likely just go gigabit Ethernet instead, NAS would support the connection of more than one playback or capture/record device.

What do you think?

Cheers,
RudiK likes this.
post #1175 of 1195 Old 11-29-2014, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnoonie View Post
Yes, cool idea, eSATA with port multiplier support would be great but really an eSATA would support all types of high performance direct attached storage.

I was considering this when I made my post a few days ago but USB 3 and Ethernet would really do the same so I couldn't think of a really compelling reason eSATA would be needed. If it had it I might use it but I'd likely just go gigabit Ethernet instead, NAS would support the connection of more than one playback or capture/record device.

What do you think?

Cheers,
The reason I'd prefer eSATA is that it's likely to be stabler and support very large RAID arrays. USB3.0/2.0 disk drives have always been problematic at very large sizes in my experience, probably because of disk>USB conversion protocol issues. eSATA would hopefully be better in that respect by cutting out the conversion process. Gigabit ethernet isn't required from a speed perspective and NAS features on an audio/videophile player is a bit of a gimmick - I'd prefer they spent precious development and testing hours on bug fixes and core features instead.
post #1176 of 1195 Old 11-29-2014, 01:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I would like airplay. I just bought an apple tv to talk to iTunes on my PC but I think airplay would eliminate its need.

Does anyone know if it could be implemented in the current Oppo's via firmware or would it need some type of hardware?
I think some receivers sold an accessory to provide it but I think it was more of a Wifi adapter vs an explicit apple hardware device.

Phil Tomaskovic
post #1177 of 1195 Old 11-29-2014, 03:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
2 - better support for .mkv files - currently they have to be a specific type and most of my MKVs have to be re-converted to play on the Oppo.
What do you mean?
RudiK likes this.

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
post #1178 of 1195 Old 11-29-2014, 08:58 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 234
Quote:
The reason I'd prefer eSATA is that it's likely to be stabler and support very large RAID arrays. USB3.0/2.0 disk drives have always been problematic at very large sizes in my experience, probably because of disk>USB conversion protocol issues. eSATA would hopefully be better in that respect by cutting out the conversion process. Gigabit ethernet isn't required from a speed perspective and NAS features on an audio/videophile player is a bit of a gimmick - I'd prefer they spent precious development and testing hours on bug fixes and core features instead.
eSATA isn't going to get you anything you can't already accomplish by accessing a NAS device (or PC setup as a file server) over your home network. Any large RAID array is going to support access over the network. I prefer to have the hard drives located in another part of the house so that any noise from them (or the box they're installed in) isn't in the room you're listening to music or watching movies in.

Note that using a NAS doesn't force you to use their DLNA implementation - you can access files on a NAS on the Oppo in the same manner as you can locally attached USB storage devices (using the same very limited file browser...). If they were to integrate something like XBMC for the front end, there would be no downside to accessing your files over the network instead of USB or eSATA.
post #1179 of 1195 Old 11-29-2014, 09:43 AM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
eSATA isn't going to get you anything you can't already accomplish by accessing a NAS device (or PC setup as a file server) over your home network.
Throughput - while the Oppo is (re-) indexing a large collection, going over a 1GB network or the current USB2 would be awful compared to USB3 or eSATA. Unless you have a 10gb SAN in your home - which you probably don't - accessing large files over a network is SLOW. Fine for playback, mind you - but for anything else you might want to do - SLOW.

USB3 does just as well as eSATA and is currently better supported. And large USB3 drives, in my (rather extensive at this point) experience, are much more stable than USB2. I even use a couple of USB3-eSATA converters to connect my older eSATA RAID arrays to servers with no eSATA ports with absolutely no issues. I even have our SQL Server-based Sharepoint database on one of them.

Quote:
Any large RAID array is going to support access over the network.
ummm - no. Not even close. NAS with RAID array built in is not the same as just plain old RAID array - and there are LOTS of just plain old RAID arrays and enclosures out there, often going for much less than corresponding NAS units. Go to Amazon or NewEgg and shop around a bit so you can learn the difference.

Quote:
I prefer to have the hard drives located in another part of the house so that any noise from them (or the box they're installed in) isn't in the room you're listening to music or watching movies in.
True 'dat. Spinning electric motors produce EMI. There is always a risk that the enclosure on the drives will not do a good enough job with shielding. Distance matters - but it does not need to be another room. (and if you are made of money you can always do SSDs and eliminate the risk entirely ;-) But even using the full 6' of a usb cable to maximize the distance from the drives to the audio equipment can make a big difference.

Quote:
Note that using a NAS doesn't force you to use their DLNA implementation - you can access files on a NAS on the Oppo in the same manner as you can locally attached USB storage devices (using the same very limited file browser...). If they were to integrate something like XBMC for the front end, there would be no downside to accessing your files over the network instead of USB or eSATA.
True for playback. Definitely NOT true for indexing - especially of a large collection. And yes, the Oppo indexes the entire collection and sometimes needs to re-index it. I DO think that a robust media playback platform like an embedded version of XBMC would be fabulous though.
RudiK likes this.

Display: Panasonic P60UT50 (Plasma)
Speakers: (4) Monitor Audio Silver 9i (Front and Surround), (1) Monitor Audio Silver 12i (Center), (4) Monitor Audio Silver 4i (Rear and Wide), (2) Aperion Audio Bravus II 8d (Subwoofers)
Receiver: Pioneer Elite SC-87 AVR (9.2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103, Roku 3, Cable...
post #1180 of 1195 Old 11-29-2014, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
What do you mean?
Hi SMD, long time no speak, not since the Zensonic/Ziova beta testing days! Nice to hear from you.

What I mean is that my vast library of MKV rips has been built up over many years using various utilities of their time, mostly AnyDVD-HD ISO rips of all my Blu-Rays then converted to MKV with DVD-Fab and some earlier ones who's names I cannot recall with my aging brain (mostly due to Mr Jack Daniels!). None of these 'historical' rips would play back on my Oppo BDP-105EU until I switched to MakeMKV when they would both work with straight Blu-Ray rips or re-converting older MKVs.

I opened a few tickets with Oppo on the subject, but Bjorn couldn't shed any light or suggest why. Any idea?

Last edited by RudiK; 11-29-2014 at 10:06 AM.
post #1181 of 1195 Old 11-29-2014, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
eSATA isn't going to get you anything you can't already accomplish by accessing a NAS device (or PC setup as a file server) over your home network. Any large RAID array is going to support access over the network. I prefer to have the hard drives located in another part of the house so that any noise from them (or the box they're installed in) isn't in the room you're listening to music or watching movies in.
Hmm, can't say I agree. Accessing various NAS devices with my Oppo BDP-105EU has been quite problematic with 2/4 not being accesible at all over SMB. NFS has been better with the later firmware releases. Certainly agree on not having storage in the same room, my NAS is in my garage under a pile of thermal blocks!
post #1182 of 1195 Old 11-29-2014, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Hi SMD, long time no speak, not since the Zensonic/Ziova beta testing days! Nice to hear from you.
Wow... that's got to be coming up to a decade ago. The technology has moved on considerably since those days

Quote:
What I mean is that my vast library of MKV rips has been built up over many years using various utilities of their time, mostly AnyDVD-HD ISO rips of all my Blu-Rays then converted to MKV with DVD-Fab and some earlier ones who's names I cannot recall with my aging brain (mostly due to Mr Jack Daniels!). None of these 'historical' rips would play back on my Oppo BDP-105EU until I switched to MakeMKV when they would both work with straight Blu-Ray rips or re-converting older MKVs.

I opened a few tickets with Oppo on the subject, but Bjorn couldn't shed any light or suggest why. Any idea?
Yes, before buying the Oppo I saved all my DVD, HD DVD and Blu-ray disc back-ups to 'movie only' .iso files. I ended up re-ripping all my .iso files to the .mkv container using DVDFab 9, so I could play them on the Oppo.

Given that the Matroska container is an 'open source' project, it's gone through quite a few code changes during its twelve or so years. Meaning some builds were more compatible with hardware players than others. Indeed, a few years ago Mosu caused a real stir when he introduced 'header compression' by default to his MKVmerge GUI Matroska muxer, which broke hardware playback compatibility over night. Unfortunately during the time it took him to eventually see the light and remove this awful feature, third party 'header compression' removal tools appeared and some hardware player manufacturers issued firmware updates to support it. All of which created even more chaos.

Unfortunately for you, it would seem you still have some incompatible .mkv muxes. Usually all you need to do is run them through newer builds of MKVmerge GUI. I'm currently still using version 7.1.0 for all of my re-muxes (primarily because Mosu is working on an entirely new GUI with his newer builds). However, if you come across a stubborn incompatible .mkv file you may need to de-mux all of the streams using MKVextract GUI and remux them again using MKVmerge GUI.

Oh by the way, Mosu's current crazy feature is adding 'tagging' data to the .mkv mux by default
RudiK likes this.

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
post #1183 of 1195 Old 11-29-2014, 12:48 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by LairdWilliams View Post
Throughput - while the Oppo is (re-) indexing a large collection, going over a 1GB network or the current USB2 would be awful compared to USB3 or eSATA. Unless you have a 10gb SAN in your home - which you probably don't - accessing large files over a network is SLOW. Fine for playback, mind you - but for anything else you might want to do - SLOW.
Indexing of the entire collection should normally be a one time event when you first setup your collection, so performance isn't overly critical. When new files are added or files are deleted, the indexing update that has to happen should be a pretty quick task. Accessing large files over a network for anything other than indexing and playback in the context of this thread is pretty much irrelevant, so large files really shouldn't be any different than small files.

Quote:
ummm - no. Not even close. NAS with RAID array built in is not the same as just plain old RAID array - and there are LOTS of just plain old RAID arrays and enclosures out there, often going for much less than corresponding NAS units. Go to Amazon or NewEgg and shop around a bit so you can learn the difference.
Hooking a RAID directly up to the Oppo is going to be a pain unless Oppo were to add the ability to write files to it through the player's network connection, which I'm not convinced they would add to a future player. Each time you want to update the contents of the RAID, you would have to disconnect it from the Oppo and connect it to a PC to copy files.

Quote:
But even using the full 6' of a usb cable to maximize the distance from the drives to the audio equipment can make a big difference.
It sounds like you're talking about things like EMI noise? I'm not - I'm talking about the sounds of disks and fans spinning being a distraction during quiet passages in music and movies. I'm much happier having all the hard drives down in the basement where they stay cooler and the noise isn't an issue.

Quote:
Definitely NOT true for indexing - especially of a large collection. And yes, the Oppo indexes the entire collection and sometimes needs to re-index it. I DO think that a robust media playback platform like an embedded version of XBMC would be fabulous though.
Again, indexing of the entire collection should be a one time event. We're talking about a future player here where things like re-indexing the entire collection would hopefully be a thing of the past.

Quote:
Hmm, can't say I agree. Accessing various NAS devices with my Oppo BDP-105EU has been quite problematic with 2/4 not being accesible at all over SMB. NFS has been better with the later firmware releases.
Again, we're talking about a future player which would hopefully have fewer problems of this sort.

There are quite a few advantages in having the music/photo/video collection available on the network in that the files can be used by any device in the home that's connected to the network and has the ability to play/view the files.
post #1184 of 1195 Old 11-29-2014, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Wow... that's got to be coming up to a decade ago. The technology has moved on considerably since those days

Yes, before buying the Oppo I saved all my DVD, HD DVD and Blu-ray disc back-ups to 'movie only' .iso files. I ended up re-ripping all my .iso files to the .mkv container using DVDFab 9, so I could play them on the Oppo.

Given that the Matroska container is an 'open source' project, it's gone through quite a few code changes during its twelve or so years. Meaning some builds were more compatible with hardware players than others. Indeed, a few years ago Mosu caused a real stir when he introduced 'header compression' by default to his MKVmerge GUI Matroska muxer, which broke hardware playback compatibility over night. Unfortunately during the time it took him to eventually see the light and remove this awful feature, third party 'header compression' removal tools appeared and some hardware player manufacturers issued firmware updates to support it. All of which created even more chaos.

Unfortunately for you, it would seem you still have some incompatible .mkv muxes. Usually all you need to do is run them through newer builds of MKVmerge GUI. I'm currently still using version 7.1.0 for all of my re-muxes (primarily because Mosu is working on an entirely new GUI with his newer builds). However, if you come across a stubborn incompatible .mkv file you may need to de-mux all of the streams using MKVextract GUI and remux them again using MKVmerge GUI.

Oh by the way, Mosu's current crazy feature is adding 'tagging' data to the .mkv mux by default
Thanks SMD, thought it was some older incompatibility, so I'll keep on re-encoding them to resolve, time consuming though that is.

Panasonic TX-P55VT65B Plasma, Oppo BDP-105EU, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen2 5 channel power amp connected via XLR, BK XXLS400 sub-woofer, Mission 753 main speakers, Mission 75C centre speaker, Mission 751 rear speakers.
post #1185 of 1195 Old 11-29-2014, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks SMD, thought it was some older incompatibility, so I'll keep on re-encoding them to resolve, time consuming though that is.
Just to be clear. There shouldn't be any need for you to re-encode your (DVD and Blu-ray) MKV file back-ups, you should only need to re-mux them - which should take a few minutes compared to a few hours

post #1186 of 1195 Old 12-01-2014, 06:55 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Usually all you need to do is run them through newer builds of MKVmerge GUI. I'm currently still using version 7.1.0 for all of my re-muxes (primarily because Mosu is working on an entirely new GUI with his newer builds). However, if you come across a stubborn incompatible .mkv file you may need to de-mux all of the streams using MKVextract GUI and remux them again using MKVmerge GUI.
I do this for all MKVs that I have. Passing them through mkvmerge lets me correct the file's title, add chapters, remove silly strings from video/audio tracks, etc.

Yes, it adds a bit more time to everything but it also provides a bit more quality.
post #1187 of 1195 Old 12-01-2014, 07:28 AM

Quote:
I love my BDP-105 but am frustrated by the media playback capabilities. If they were to improve the following I would buy it immediatly:

1 - forget about building your own media interface - it's rubbish and there are beautiful open source alternatives out there that would blow you away such as XBMC. Incorporate XBMC or a custom port of your own liking (such as Pivos XIOS TOFU).
+1

There are enough media player wheels out there already so surely they should be able to find one that will be a good fit and enhance that rather than start from scratch.

XBMC would be a good place to start.
post #1188 of 1195 Old 12-01-2014, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter
boe
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 68
I'm stoked to see others as interested in the streaming of MKVs on their Oppo as I am.

I think my biggest hope for the next firmware or BR player -
1. Playback forced sub titles
2. Playback LPCM audio (strangely I could swear I've had one or two MKVs playback LPCM but I know many won't so I convert them to FLAC
3. Make the Oppo Media control for my Ipad search subdirectories so I can search through a 1000 titles in all the subfolders for a movie by title.
post #1189 of 1195 Old 12-01-2014, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boe View Post
I'm stoked to see others as interested in the streaming of MKVs on their Oppo as I am.

I think my biggest hope for the next firmware or BR player -
1. Playback forced sub titles
2. Playback LPCM audio (strangely I could swear I've had one or two MKVs playback LPCM but I know many won't so I convert them to FLAC
3. Make the Oppo Media control for my Ipad search subdirectories so I can search through a 1000 titles in all the subfolders for a movie by title.
I started placing my favourite gapless audio flac files within the MKA container, complete with chapter points and tagging. Although the Oppo has no problem playing .mka files, I would love it if the Oppo could support the chapter points and it's tagging implementation too

post #1190 of 1195 Old 12-06-2014, 06:30 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Don't know if this has been mentioned but I would like a screensaver when playing cd's

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk
post #1191 of 1195 Old 12-06-2014, 06:41 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked: 1030
^ As a workaround, while playing your CDs press the Pure button on the remote. Pure Mode blanks the video output. Press it again to restore normal video.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #1192 of 1195 Old 12-07-2014, 02:03 PM

Support 10bit video files

Support for 10bit video in MKV files - AVC/MPEG 4 using 4:2:2 - would be good.
post #1193 of 1195 Old Today, 02:10 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I Love my Oppo 105 too.
I Use it as preamp and for me its nearly Perfect.

For the next Model please :

4k Support hdcp2.2 and hdmi 2.0

Better Volume control ( Not over the dacs ,Trim Volume is more Jitter)

Free Internetradio for Germany

Please 4 or 6 Outputs (xlr) more to use Atmos,Auro ,dts uhd per Pay upgrade as denon this realize

It Needs no messurement as yapo.... But please separate high Pass for Fronts and Surround (normaly the 3fronts are the Same and all surrounds the same)
And much more Important, a direct buttom to Switch between Stereo mod and Surround mod (yet 7.1 later atmos,Auro..)

A few presets for every mod (Auro,Stereo..) will be nice

Please use for all channels the 9018dac with a better clock and 80mhz .now for xlr is Used the doubled 9018 dac not by chinch , please later for each of all channels (all is now xlr ) use the double 9018dacs

I hope this will be read from oppo !!
This is my dream oppo and i will Pay the double price .....
but sure than its not only a player, so its difficult.
But perhaps oppo use this comments to create 2 Lines?
The New player Series

And the high End preamp Serie include the 4k player, Supports Auro atmos....
This will be the best
post #1194 of 1195 Old Today, 06:43 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 683 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by quadryda View Post
I hope this will be read from oppo !!
Welcome to AVSForum.

You should send your requests directly to OPPO, rather than taking the risk that they may be overlooked here.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #1195 of 1195 Old Today, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Is this list for a bluray player or for a receiver? Sorry but seems like most of these requests belong in the AVR, not the source device.

Oppo making their own media playback device seems like a good suggestion but with the push in the U.S. from the courts to shut down being able to make the files we can store on those media NAS devices, if I was OPPO I'd be thinking long and hard about the market and making players to playback files that are going to be less and less available.

Same can be said for disks.

Market is changing. Spending hundreds of dollars for an OPPO that does all kinds of stuff that is designed to met a shrinking market makes sense to whom?

OPPO may want to look at the AVR market and have their source players just be dumb boxes. That would be interesting. Put all the video processing, audio, etc., into the AVR.

I can see the market campaign now....

If you thought we were good before

OPPO AVR Omega

Makes all bluray players almost an OPPO

Takes your OPPO to the next level

Then OPPO's next bluray player, the Alpha, mates with the Omega and can be a complete package. A solid clean high end source and the AVR to do its OPPO magic.

I'd bet they'd sell a bunch.

E.B. White said, "I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day."

Last edited by jsmiddleton4; Today at 08:08 AM.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page