What features would you like in your next Oppo BR - e.g. Oppo BDP-113 and BDP-115. - Page 44 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
View Poll Results: DIRAC Live Software
Yes 35 72.92%
No 13 27.08%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
 45Likes
post #1291 of 1304 Old 02-19-2015, 11:04 PM - Thread Starter
boe
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by rakosnicek View Post
I'm going to give the WD-TV appliance a go. It will do (1), (2) and (4). Not sure about (3) and definitely no for (5).

However at $99, there's no real obstacle to buying one and taking it for a test drive.
I'm waiting to hear back from Oppo what the Oppo Stick for $50 gives me. It doesn't have RJ45 which is a bummer. Not sure about the rest.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1292 of 1304 Old 02-20-2015, 01:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by boe View Post
I'm waiting to hear back from Oppo what the Oppo Stick for $50 gives me. It doesn't have RJ45 which is a bummer. Not sure about the rest.
The Oppo Stick is for Roku integration with a BDP-103/105 only.

So if you own a 93/95/83/83SE then this stick may as well not exist.

Interestingly the URL on the Oppo page (www.roku.com/oppo) does not exist on the Roku website.

With respect to the above list, of 5 items, I can't see it meeting any of those needs. All that the Roku stick does is save you from buying a Roku if you've already got an Oppo BDP-103/105. Nothing else. And that makes it kind of useless for streaming in a home NAS environment.
post #1293 of 1304 Old 02-20-2015, 06:48 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Quote:
The Oppo Stick is for Roku integration with a BDP-103/105 only.
It's not an "Oppo" stick. It's a Roku Streaming Stick and is compatible with ANY device that has a MHL capable HDMI input, which some TV's and AVR's have. It's not usable only with the Oppo BDP-10x players.

Quote:
So if you own a 93/95/83/83SE then this stick may as well not exist.
The older Oppo players don't have any HDMI inputs at all, so by your logic any other HDMI source device might as well not exist.

The capabilities of the Roku Streaming Stick that Oppo resells are the same as other Roku products, so app specific questions may best be asked elsewhere in a Roku thread as there should be a larger pool of users available to help with answers. The only real limitation of the streaming stick compared to the larger Roku products is that it's WiFi only - some of (not all) Roku's other products have a network jack. The remote control integration and small size are nice pluses, but I think I'd gladly give those up to have a network jack.
post #1294 of 1304 Old 02-20-2015, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
The capabilities of the Roku Streaming Stick that Oppo resells are the same as other Roku products, so app specific questions may best be asked elsewhere in a Roku thread as there should be a larger pool of users available to help with answers.
I've read up on what Roku can do and what it can do is not what is required of those looking for a network media player that integrates with DLNA, NAS, etc. Thus the Roku Stick is a useless addition to an Oppo environment when what you're looking for is a more comprehensive network streaming device such as a Popcorn Hour or Dune HD, etc. So thanks for mentioning it but lets move on past it.

At present the WD TV puck seems to be the closest and is available for a good price too.
post #1295 of 1304 Old 02-20-2015, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter
boe
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

The capabilities of the Roku Streaming Stick that Oppo resells are the same as other Roku products, so app specific questions may best be asked elsewhere in a Roku thread as there should be a larger pool of users available to help with answers. The only real limitation of the streaming stick compared to the larger Roku products is that it's WiFi only - some of (not all) Roku's other products have a network jack. The remote control integration and small size are nice pluses, but I think I'd gladly give those up to have a network jack.
Thanks - I'll try to find a good Roku forum.

While I really want the RJ45, I also really want an IR remote controlled device. I have an RF remote for my cable and I basically never use cable partially because I really hate switching remotes(sad but true). I think their more capable device the Roku 3 uses an RF remote.
post #1296 of 1304 Old 02-20-2015, 07:53 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
Thanks - I'll try to find a good Roku forum.

While I really want the RJ45, I also really want an IR remote controlled device. I have an RF remote for my cable and I basically never use cable partially because I really hate switching remotes(sad but true). I think their more capable device the Roku 3 uses an RF remote.
Look here:

https://www.roku.com/accessories

You would want the "Roku Standard Remote" or "Roku Standard Remote with Channel Shortcut Buttons" which both use Infrared (the IR sensor is built into the Roku 3). If using a universal remote, such as a Harmony, the codes may already be built in, so you might not need to buy the remote. But this is OT in this thread, which is why I suggesting looking for a Roku thread - this might be a good starting point.
post #1297 of 1304 Old 02-20-2015, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter
boe
AVS Special Member

Thanks. I've posted the questions in Roku's forums. I'll post back what I find out. It looks like the IR one does not work with the stick (but does if you have the Oppo connected with the MHL version).
post #1298 of 1304 Old 02-20-2015, 08:46 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
Thanks. I've posted the questions in Roku's forums. I'll post back what I find out. It looks like the IR one does not work with the stick (but does if you have the Oppo connected with the MHL version).
Roku's IR remotes do not work with the Streaming Stick at all (either the MHL version or the other HDMI version that's externally powered). If you want to use an IR remote with the MHL version of the Streaming Stick, you can only use the remote of the device that the Streaming Stick is currently connected to (ie: the Oppo remote or the TV or AVR's remote). I don't believe there's a way to use an IR remote at all with the HDMI (non MHL) version of the Streaming Stick. Since you mentioned you wanted to use a Roku 3 to get the network jack, the IR remotes I mentioned would work with that. In their lists of which devices their remotes are compatible with, the MHL version of the Streaming Stick is the "Roku Ready Version", part numbers 3400R, 3400M, or 3420H.

I'd get answers to your other questions before worrying about the remote control options as those answers may make the IR remote control issue a moot point. I suspect that rakosnicek is correct that the Roku options aren't your best option to achieve what you're looking for.
post #1299 of 1304 Old Yesterday, 08:25 PM

Quote:
At present the WD TV puck seems to be the closest and is available for a good price too.
I've done more research on this.

Whilst the WD TV series are good with subtitles and networking, they can't do DTS HD over HDMI.

Next for me is to look at what Dune's HD Base 3D can do.
boe likes this.
post #1300 of 1304 Unread Today, 01:08 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 638 Post(s)
Liked: 550
Quote:
I've done more research on this.

Whilst the WD TV series are good with subtitles and networking, they can't do DTS HD over HDMI.

Next for me is to look at what Dune's HD Base 3D can do.
Are you sure about that? My WD-TV Live will output DTS-HD over HDMI.
post #1301 of 1304 Unread Today, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
Are you sure about that? My WD-TV Live will output DTS-HD over HDMI.
Which model do you have?

It would appear that this doesn't work in the latest model but it does in the previous one.
post #1302 of 1304 Unread Today, 01:43 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 638 Post(s)
Liked: 550
Quote:
Which model do you have?

It would appear that this doesn't work in the latest model but it does in the previous one.
It's not the current model, it's a WDBHG70000NBK-01, as I recall DTS-HD MA was added in a firmware update sometime last year I believe.

Data sheet,
http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/...h/1/a_id/8539#
post #1303 of 1304 Unread Today, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
It's not the current model, it's a WDBHG70000NBK-01, as I recall DTS-HD MA was added in a firmware update sometime last year I believe.

Data sheet,
http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/...h/1/a_id/8539#
This is consistent with what I'm seeing elsewhere. The "Red Box" WD TV works with DTS-HD, the newer "Blue Box" does not.
post #1304 of 1304 Unread Today, 03:38 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Probably already mentioned, but Plex would be great.
Even if just off a streaming stick.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc Bdp 105

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page