What features would you like in your next Oppo BR - e.g. Oppo BDP-113 and BDP-115. - Page 46 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


View Poll Results: DIRAC Live Software
Yes 53 66.25%
No 27 33.75%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
 58Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1351 of 1372 Old 03-26-2015, 04:06 AM
AVS Special Member
 
4DHD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: sierra ecuadoriana
Posts: 6,107
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by swanlee View Post
Well it sucks cause I'm either going to have to wait well over a year after players hit the market for a 4K blu ray player or spend the money on a stop gap 4K player while my Oppo 95 is still plugged in for Audio DLNA duty.

Back in 2009 Oppo was not nearly as established or had as many resources as they are now so their was a reason they were late to the Blu-Ray game. But being a year late now seems like an over sight.

Just a bummer all around
Get over it!!! There are many things in life considerably more important than having the latest/greatest A/V gear.
Bill Mac likes this.

Custom, one of a kind pair, MJC212 mains, mod PT800 center, PT800 surrounds, SUB1500s. Parasound P7, Citation 19, Parasound HCA2205A, HK AVR3600, Marantz TT, Samsung BD player, Denon DVD-A player, MacBook Pro w/ DragonFly DAC.
4DHD is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1352 of 1372 Old 03-26-2015, 05:53 AM - Thread Starter
boe
AVS Special Member
 
boe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 2,889
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by swanlee View Post
Well it sucks cause I'm either going to have to wait well over a year after players hit the market for a 4K blu ray player or spend the money on a stop gap 4K player while my Oppo 95 is still plugged in for Audio DLNA duty.

Back in 2009 Oppo was not nearly as established or had as many resources as they are now so their was a reason they were late to the Blu-Ray game. But being a year late now seems like an over sight.

Just a bummer all around
I think the issue is Oppo will either have to put in a very flexible streaming media player in their next disc player or they'll have to consider offering 2 different units - one more focused on being a great disc player and another which has no disc capabilities but is a great streaming device.
boe is offline  
post #1353 of 1372 Old 03-26-2015, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member
 
swanlee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 2,064
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DHD View Post
Get over it!!! There are many things in life considerably more important than having the latest/greatest A/V gear.

Considering this is an AVS forum this is the place to dicuss these things, gees you need to chill. It is certainly a vlid opinion that it is a real bummer that Oppo is not going to release a 4K blu ray player for potentially another 2 years.
swanlee is online now  
post #1354 of 1372 Old 03-26-2015, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member
 
4DHD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: sierra ecuadoriana
Posts: 6,107
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by swanlee View Post
Considering this is an AVS forum this is the place to dicuss these things, gees you need to chill. It is certainly a vlid opinion that it is a real bummer that Oppo is not going to release a 4K blu ray player for potentially another 2 years.
You have that backwards, I am not the one getting upset cause I can not upgrade today. That would be you.
I take the attitude, gear shows up, when it shows up.

Its the companies who rush things out the door to grab the first buck to be made that usually have the worst performance.
As opposed to a company like Oppo who provide good quality cause they do not rush the progress of a new piece of gear.

I am patiently waiting for true 4K TVs to show up where I live...if they do, great, if not, I won't lose any sleep over it.
That is about as chill as one can get.

Custom, one of a kind pair, MJC212 mains, mod PT800 center, PT800 surrounds, SUB1500s. Parasound P7, Citation 19, Parasound HCA2205A, HK AVR3600, Marantz TT, Samsung BD player, Denon DVD-A player, MacBook Pro w/ DragonFly DAC.
4DHD is offline  
post #1355 of 1372 Old 03-28-2015, 08:25 AM
Member
 
Dubauskas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sundre, Alberta
Posts: 130
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DHD View Post
Get over it!!! There are many things in life considerably more important than having the latest/greatest A/V gear.
Please save your negative comments for the hardware not the person.
Dubauskas is offline  
post #1356 of 1372 Old 04-16-2015, 10:15 AM
Senior Member
 
rakosnicek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 212
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by swanlee View Post
Considering this is an AVS forum this is the place to dicuss these things, gees you need to chill. It is certainly a vlid opinion that it is a real bummer that Oppo is not going to release a 4K blu ray player for potentially another 2 years.
I suppose the question is, what will they release in the mean time - if anything?
rakosnicek is online now  
post #1357 of 1372 Old 04-16-2015, 10:32 AM
One-Man Content Creator
 
wmcclain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 18,334
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked: 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by rakosnicek View Post
I suppose the question is, what will they release in the mean time - if anything?
They've been doing personal audio products that are getting good reviews. The public's interest in Blu-ray players is kind of dead until 4K appears. I doubt if you'll see a new model before then.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    

Last edited by wmcclain; 04-16-2015 at 10:43 AM.
wmcclain is online now  
post #1358 of 1372 Old 04-16-2015, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jima4a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Southeast USA
Posts: 1,639
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Hopefully a 105 type player with a more dedicated music file player with a good interface. Also include MQA.
jima4a is online now  
post #1359 of 1372 Old 04-19-2015, 04:27 AM
AVS Special Member
 
JonFo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Big Canoe, GA, USA
Posts: 1,369
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 22
^^^ +1 for MQA support!

In general, I hope the stick to the core of what they are good at, which is a great source device for Video and Audio.

If they want to continue to have two models, that's fine and the 105 replacement can have the basics for a simple single-box system (assuming active speakers). But all this talk of adding DRC and more and more pre-pro features is not a great direction as it adds serious complexity and dilutes the focus of the product.

For the 103-class product, I just want a good quality media streamer, excellent physical media support (all the current ones + UHD) and HDMI 2.0 outputs (2 w/split A/V). That's it, no boatload of other, unrelated stuff.

Great products have a focus and whatever features they do have are well implemented and eay to use.
JonFo is offline  
post #1360 of 1372 Old 04-26-2015, 04:26 AM
Senior Member
 
rakosnicek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 212
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Tide is moving...

It is interesting that Oppo haven't yet done a "media player" similar to the Dune 3D or WDTV Player.

Why?

Because that ultimately will be where the future is and I'm seeing people start to make the shift from BluRay player to media player.

Is that a market with shallow return at present? I don't know.

Then again, with apps like Plex running on my TV, maybe I don't need a dedicated media player.

Thus I wonder if the 93/95 & 103/105 series players will thus be Oppo's peak of market penetration?

Sure, the next TV I buy will likely be 4k whether I like it or not (just like the current one is 3D) but I can't sit close enough (or have a screen big enough) for 4k to make a difference. And how many other people are like that? Thus 1080p likely represents "good enough" for a large number of people given practical considerations.

It may be that Oppo chooses not to do a media player for fear of eating their own lunch (that of the Oppo BluRay players) but if they don't eat it, someone else will.

Now where did that XBMC How-To go for the Intel NUC...
rakosnicek is online now  
post #1361 of 1372 Old 04-26-2015, 05:18 AM
AVS Special Member
 
SeeMoreDigital's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Notts, UK
Posts: 2,040
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by rakosnicek View Post
It is interesting that Oppo haven't yet done a "media player" similar to the Dune 3D or WDTV Player.

Why?
A couple of years ago I suggested that it might be a good idea for Oppo to offer 'disc based' and 'non disc-based' players. I seem to remember the idea didn't go down very well with some Oppo owners

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
SeeMoreDigital is online now  
post #1362 of 1372 Old 04-26-2015, 05:26 AM
Member
 
DaMacFunkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Fact of the matter is that for the foreseeable future a physical format delivery system will only be capable of providing enough bandwidth for UHD@60fps + HDR and Dolby Atmos/ MA at bit rates high enough to give the wow factor.
DaMacFunkin is offline  
post #1363 of 1372 Old 04-26-2015, 05:28 AM
One-Man Content Creator
 
wmcclain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 18,334
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked: 479
I don't have any inside info, but I suspect the studio powers hate media players, figuring them to be appliances for pirates. They can exert great pressure on a Blu-ray player manufacturer like OPPO. As in: "Try to make one of those and we'll pull your Blu-ray licenses. Your partners who make components will not be dealing with us any more, either.

Do any of the big boys produce both BR players and media devices? If a major vendor went first that would make it easier for the little guy.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
wmcclain is online now  
post #1364 of 1372 Old 04-26-2015, 05:52 AM
AVS Special Member
 
SeeMoreDigital's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Notts, UK
Posts: 2,040
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMacFunkin View Post
Fact of the matter is that for the foreseeable future a physical format delivery system will only be capable of providing enough bandwidth for UHD@60fps + HDR and Dolby Atmos/ MA at bit rates high enough to give the wow factor.
Well lets say it keeps Sony happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
Do any of the big boys produce both BR players and media devices? If a major vendor went first that would make it easier for the little guy.
Just 'audio' streamers. That's as far as they're willing to go...

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
SeeMoreDigital is online now  
post #1365 of 1372 Old 04-26-2015, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member
 
steveting99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 1,478
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by rakosnicek View Post
...

Now where did that XBMC How-To go for the Intel NUC...
Try the Chromebox with Kodi in the following thread: Kodi (XBMC) via Chromebox

Might be heading in this direction once my WDTV Live SMP dies on me one of these days or I start to loose patience with the slow interface and lack of support.
dnoonie likes this.

Maranatz SR-7009, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, LG LW6500, aTV, WDTV Live, Harmony 650 remote, KEF E301, MiniDSP(2x4), Rythmik 2xF12G+2xF8(on order), Emotiva 2xXPA-5 Gen2 (on order)
steveting99 is online now  
post #1366 of 1372 Old 04-26-2015, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter
boe
AVS Special Member
 
boe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 2,889
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 133
I noticed youtube doesn't play in 5.1 even though the titles say 5.1. I'd like that functionality in the next Oppo.
boe is offline  
post #1367 of 1372 Old 04-26-2015, 08:46 PM - Thread Starter
boe
AVS Special Member
 
boe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 2,889
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
A couple of years ago I suggested that it might be a good idea for Oppo to offer 'disc based' and 'non disc-based' players. I seem to remember the idea didn't go down very well with some Oppo owners
I know what you mean - it is that way in a lot of forums - if you suggest something different than what they bought they act as if you insulted their decision. Go to a car forum and suggest something like modifying the front grill or add a hybrid OPTION and they can't abide there even being options their choice was the best choice.


I would love for Oppo to make an high end media player. There are tons of mediocre ones but I'd love to see a true high end one. If they made it android based they would have a ton of flexibility for future apps. Many smart TVs seem short on processing power, cache and future upgradability. I think Oppo could make something that truly excels at a reasonable price.
boe is offline  
post #1368 of 1372 Old Yesterday, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member
 
hernanu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Boston Suburbs
Posts: 2,999
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 568
Quote:
Originally Posted by boe View Post
I know what you mean - it is that way in a lot of forums - if you suggest something different than what they bought they act as if you insulted their decision. Go to a car forum and suggest something like modifying the front grill or add a hybrid OPTION and they can't abide there even being options their choice was the best choice.


I would love for Oppo to make an high end media player. There are tons of mediocre ones but I'd love to see a true high end one. If they made it android based they would have a ton of flexibility for future apps. Many smart TVs seem short on processing power, cache and future upgradability. I think Oppo could make something that truly excels at a reasonable price.
I think it would be great too, but in my opinion it would be impossible.

Not technically, since Oppo has more than the skill to make something excellent as a streamer.

The problem would come from the bluray licensing group. I think that the studios would pull the bluray licensing from Oppo. So the choice before Oppo would be to make either a streamer OR a disk player. Not both.

And it would be completely political.

It may come to the point that Oppo decides to do the transition if bluray becomes less of a profit source than streaming. But until then, I'd be surprised to see one. They'd have to give up too much right now.
hernanu is online now  
post #1369 of 1372 Old Yesterday, 07:08 AM
Senior Member
 
rakosnicek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 212
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
I don't have any inside info, but I suspect the studio powers hate media players, figuring them to be appliances for pirates. They can exert great pressure on a Blu-ray player manufacturer like OPPO. As in: "Try to make one of those and we'll pull your Blu-ray licenses. Your partners who make components will not be dealing with us any more, either.
I am afraid and suspect that you are right. :-(

Quote:
Do any of the big boys produce both BR players and media devices? If a major vendor went first that would make it easier for the little guy.
Not that I'm aware of. However as soon as they do that, why would you then buy their BluRay player?

As above, I don't know if making one of them that worked would put their licensing at risk for physical media players or they're just afraid of eating their own lunch. Or both.

Eventually the music studios (RIAA?) saw the light and allowed MP3s to be bought online. Did the world end? No. The movie industry (MPAA) appears to be refusing to see the light...
rakosnicek is online now  
post #1370 of 1372 Old Yesterday, 07:17 AM
Senior Member
 
rakosnicek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 212
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMacFunkin View Post
Fact of the matter is that for the foreseeable future a physical format delivery system will only be capable of providing enough bandwidth for UHD@60fps + HDR and Dolby Atmos/ MA at bit rates high enough to give the wow factor.
The more extreme and high end you go, the smaller the market is.

The current market share that the Oppo is aimed at is likely the top 10% of wage earners (or there abouts.) Maybe smaller. Quite likely Oppo owners are not 1%'ers either because for them the Oppo is likely too cheap (and thus not exclusive enough.)

The market for Dolby Atmos is likely half that again, if not smaller.

Sure, there are plenty of people online who talk about "home cinema" and whatever but those people are not the majority of people out there - likely not even the majority of Oppo owners.

When you get into that sort of wage bracket, you're now selling to mostly rather smart people. People that are capable of going "hmmm, Dolby Atmos requires X and my home is Y, nah, not for me."

So yes, maybe you're going to need physical media to do UHD@cinema rates with Dolby Atmos (and physical media may also be something like an SDXC card!) but there will always be expensive options available for people desiring such.
rakosnicek is online now  
post #1371 of 1372 Old Yesterday, 08:48 AM
Member
 
DaMacFunkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rakosnicek View Post
The more extreme and high end you go, the smaller the market is.

The current market share that the Oppo is aimed at is likely the top 10% of wage earners (or there abouts.) Maybe smaller. Quite likely Oppo owners are not 1%'ers either because for them the Oppo is likely too cheap (and thus not exclusive enough.)

The market for Dolby Atmos is likely half that again, if not smaller.

Sure, there are plenty of people online who talk about "home cinema" and whatever but those people are not the majority of people out there - likely not even the majority of Oppo owners.

When you get into that sort of wage bracket, you're now selling to mostly rather smart people. People that are capable of going "hmmm, Dolby Atmos requires X and my home is Y, nah, not for me."

So yes, maybe you're going to need physical media to do UHD@cinema rates with Dolby Atmos (and physical media may also be something like an SDXC card!) but there will always be expensive options available for people desiring such.
The majority of people won't even be aware of 4k, never mind be able to see a difference over 1080 or even care, I still know people that sit and watch SD tv broadcasts night after night without a care in the world, and most people I know with media players watch small avi files, they havnt progressed to Mkv, me personally since acquiring a 4k tv have actually gone from almost exclusive watching of 1080p Mkv rips back to full bit rate untouched blu ray, the difference is noticeable.
DaMacFunkin is offline  
post #1372 of 1372 Old Today, 08:29 AM
Senior Member
 
rakosnicek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 212
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMacFunkin View Post
The majority of people won't even be aware of 4k, never mind be able to see a difference over 1080 or even care, I still know people that sit and watch SD tv broadcasts night after night without a care in the world, and most people I know with media players watch small avi files, they havnt progressed to Mkv, me personally since acquiring a 4k tv have actually gone from almost exclusive watching of 1080p Mkv rips back to full bit rate untouched blu ray, the difference is noticeable.
Lucky for you. I suppose you prefer 24bit/192kHz audio too?
rakosnicek is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc Bdp 105



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off