What features would you like in your next Oppo BR - e.g. Oppo BDP-113 and BDP-115. - Page 52 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!



View Poll Results: DIRAC Live Software
Yes 131 60.93%
No 84 39.07%
Voters: 215. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
 194Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1531 of 1879 Old 01-06-2016, 12:20 AM
Advanced Member
 
dnoonie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Seattle, WA area
Posts: 768
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by boe View Post
Bummer! Doesn't look like Oppo will be at CES this year.
Well, if they're not ready they aren't ready and shouldn't spend the $ on a booth. It means they're product cost will be lower, I'm fine with that.

If I can get an Oppo 115 with a full complement of XLR outs and a gain stage on outputs for $1800 I'd be very happy, I'd even be happy if it was a bit more.

It'll be interesting to see how many products they will have and how it'll be broken out. Atmos? DIRAC? Number of inputs? Gains stage on outputs? Number of outputs? Upgrade-ability of software? Streaming services available (could always get a dedicated 3rd party offering but if it could be upgraded and last several years!?). It's hard to predict the future, I hope it works out. I've very happy with my 93 but I'm planning to purchase the 115 with options baring another 911 type event!

I'm eager to see their new offerings and it looks like the time line is even earlier than it might of been, that's cool, maybe UHD-BDs will hit the market with more offerings than HD BD did, hope so!

Cheers,
dnoonie is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1532 of 1879 Old 01-12-2016, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member
 
steveting99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 3,044
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1645 Post(s)
Liked: 539
Assuming (which could be a bad thing to do here around AVS) that the new Oppo BDP-113/115 will have dual HDMI outputs and one of them will be with Darbee Video enhancement, would like to have something like the HD Fury Integral on both of the HMDI outputs that will allow HDCP 2.2 --> 1.4 conversion. The main purpose is to allow the new UHD discs to play back on legacy monitors/receivers that do not have HDCP 2.2.

One can always purchase the converter (HD Fury Integral) as a separate device, but it would be nice to have this built into the next generation of Oppo universal players as a convenience feature.

There's a lot of good 1080p (plasma) displays that existing Oppo owners are reluctant to depart with or have the desire to jump onto the 4k bandwagon. If Oppo can serve this niche area, it'll be something to differentiate themselves from the competition.

Marantz SR-7009, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, aTV, Harmony Home Control remote, KEF E301+T101, MiniDSP (2x4)+(10x10HD)+(DDRC-88A), Emotiva 2xXPA-5 (Gen2), Rythmik 2xF12G+2xF8, HiMedia Q16, LG 55EC9300.
steveting99 is offline  
post #1533 of 1879 Old 01-12-2016, 05:55 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group
 
gsr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 8,714
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 798 Post(s)
Liked: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveting99 View Post
Assuming (which could be a bad thing to do here around AVS) that the new Oppo BDP-113/115 will have dual HDMI outputs and one of them will be with Darbee Video enhancement, would like to have something like the HD Fury Integral on both of the HMDI outputs that will allow HDCP 2.2 --> 1.4 conversion. The main purpose is to allow the new UHD discs to play back on legacy monitors/receivers that do not have HDCP 2.2.

One can always purchase the converter (HD Fury Integral) as a separate device, but it would be nice to have this built into the next generation of Oppo universal players as a convenience feature.

There's a lot of good 1080p (plasma) displays that existing Oppo owners are reluctant to depart with or have the desire to jump onto the 4k bandwagon. If Oppo can serve this niche area, it'll be something to differentiate themselves from the competition.
Won't HDCP 2.2 only be needed to output 4K from the new UHD discs? Assuming that's the case, I don't think this should be a problem as the HDCP 2.2 outputs should, I believe, be backwards compatible with HDCP 1.4 inputs as long as the output resolution is set to 1080P (or lower). Any other scenario seems like it would be a disaster for the new players and discs as there are going to be a LOT of people using the new UHD players with older displays in the early days.
gsr is online now  
post #1534 of 1879 Old 01-12-2016, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member
 
steveting99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 3,044
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1645 Post(s)
Liked: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
Won't HDCP 2.2 only be needed to output 4K from the new UHD discs? Assuming that's the case, I don't think this should be a problem as the HDCP 2.2 outputs should, I believe, be backwards compatible with HDCP 1.4 inputs as long as the output resolution is set to 1080P (or lower). Any other scenario seems like it would be a disaster for the new players and discs as there are going to be a LOT of people using the new UHD players with older displays in the early days.
My current understanding of the HDCP 2.2 implementation is that if the entire chain is NOT HDCP 2.2 from source to display including intermediaries such as a pre/pro/receiver, one gets a blank screen when play UHD discs.

The only way to down convert from 4k to 1080p from the source is if the HDCP 2.2 chain is still intact. Hence the need for a "man in the middle" device such as the HD Fury Integral that will convert HDPC 2.2 to 1.4 so that 1080p from the source can be enabled.

Marantz SR-7009, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, aTV, Harmony Home Control remote, KEF E301+T101, MiniDSP (2x4)+(10x10HD)+(DDRC-88A), Emotiva 2xXPA-5 (Gen2), Rythmik 2xF12G+2xF8, HiMedia Q16, LG 55EC9300.
steveting99 is offline  
post #1535 of 1879 Old 01-12-2016, 07:33 PM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 29,262
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1320 Post(s)
Liked: 1331
^ The "digital bridge" feature of UHD Blu-ray discs is intended to provide compatibility -- at reduced quality -- to older displays/AVRs. (In addition to reduced quality digital file copies.)

So for example, you should get 1080p without HDR or WCG when connected to an HDMI v1.4 display.
--Bob
RayWK likes this.

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Bob Pariseau is online now  
post #1536 of 1879 Old 01-12-2016, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member
 
steveting99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 3,044
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1645 Post(s)
Liked: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
^ The "digital bridge" feature of UHD Blu-ray discs is intended to provide compatibility -- at reduced quality -- to older displays/AVRs. (In addition to reduced quality digital file copies.)

So for example, you should get 1080p without HDR or WCG when connected to an HDMI v1.4 display.
--Bob
I hope you're right Bob. Will see what issues the early adopters of UHD players run into when spinning their shinny new UHD discs into 1080p displays or through pre/pro/receivers.

Looks like the 4k streaming services (such as VUDU) downgrades to 1080p and lossy audio with no object meta data if HDCP 2.2 chain is broken. While 1080p is fine, the loss of Dolby Atmos is of concern.

Marantz SR-7009, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, aTV, Harmony Home Control remote, KEF E301+T101, MiniDSP (2x4)+(10x10HD)+(DDRC-88A), Emotiva 2xXPA-5 (Gen2), Rythmik 2xF12G+2xF8, HiMedia Q16, LG 55EC9300.
steveting99 is offline  
post #1537 of 1879 Old 01-13-2016, 03:06 AM
AVS Special Member
 
markus767's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 8,832
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3235 Post(s)
Liked: 1134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
^ The "digital bridge" feature of UHD Blu-ray discs is intended to provide compatibility -- at reduced quality -- to older displays/AVRs. (In addition to reduced quality digital file copies.)

So for example, you should get 1080p without HDR or WCG when connected to an HDMI v1.4 display.
--Bob
It is my understanding that this "Digital Bridge" or "Copy & Export" feature is optional. I would be surprised if content owners would allow it.
Furthermore that feature seems to be an offline process and not a realtime playback option.

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole
markus767 is offline  
post #1538 of 1879 Old 01-20-2016, 10:13 AM
Senior Member
 
AndrewFG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 255
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 24
1) Add support for displaying an audio track's meta data when it is pushed to the player via UPnP mechanisms. (As opposed to the present 103 "solution" which only displays meta data that it is embedded at the start of the media stream itself; and which therefore does not work for PCM streams and does not work when the meta data is at the end of the stream).


2) Add support for gapless play via UPnP (support the SetNextAVTransportURI method)
AndrewFG is offline  
post #1539 of 1879 Old 01-20-2016, 12:12 PM
Member
 
kristoffer77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 162
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Oppo UHD BD player late 2016

Oppo Is working on one and hope to get it to market by late 2016.

From @ultraHD Bluray
'@OppoDigital are developing an Ultra HD Blu-ray player, hope to have one ready + ship in time for the 2016 holidays http://thedigitalbits.com/columns/my...ts/011216_1630
kristoffer77 is offline  
post #1540 of 1879 Old 01-20-2016, 12:51 PM
Super Moderator
 
teachsac's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Elk Grove, CA
Posts: 7,012
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked: 577
Already reported many times. When it is officially announced and in beta/early adopters, Bob, Neuromancer, etc. will open an official thread.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Samsung UBD-K8500 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.

Last edited by teachsac; 01-20-2016 at 01:05 PM.
teachsac is online now  
post #1541 of 1879 Old 01-20-2016, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member
 
artur9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: near philly
Posts: 1,509
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 448 Post(s)
Liked: 145
I'ld like an embedded Kodi-like interface for playing movies off a NAS. Bonus points for an android or iDevice app to push movies from a NAS to the player.
steveting99 likes this.
artur9 is offline  
post #1542 of 1879 Old 01-20-2016, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member
 
artur9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: near philly
Posts: 1,509
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 448 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac View Post
Already reported many times. When it is officially announced and in beta/early adopters, Bob, Neuromancer, etc. will open an official thread.
What's the going rate for getting into the beta?
artur9 is offline  
post #1543 of 1879 Old 01-20-2016, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member
 
steveting99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 3,044
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1645 Post(s)
Liked: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by artur9 View Post
I'ld like an embedded Kodi-like interface for playing movies off a NAS. Bonus points for an android or iDevice app to push movies from a NAS to the player.
If Oppo can team up with Kodi, there would be significant improvements in the User Interface (UI) with the ability to tweak the sound+picture to one's heart desire.

Wonder how hard it would be to make this happen?

Would be seriously tempted to up-grade if Kodi and Oppo team up.

Marantz SR-7009, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, aTV, Harmony Home Control remote, KEF E301+T101, MiniDSP (2x4)+(10x10HD)+(DDRC-88A), Emotiva 2xXPA-5 (Gen2), Rythmik 2xF12G+2xF8, HiMedia Q16, LG 55EC9300.
steveting99 is offline  
post #1544 of 1879 Old 01-21-2016, 12:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Smarty-pants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 17,755
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by artur9 View Post
What's the going rate for getting into the beta?
RichB, gsr and oink like this.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
Smarty-pants is offline  
post #1545 of 1879 Old 01-23-2016, 01:02 AM
Senior Member
 
Anderslober's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 250
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 22
We need substantial, evidence based rumours! So Oppo......w'as happenin'?
We need.........dare I say...demand!:-).......some cool info on what you ate working on.

I dont know how long I can wait.......gettin' desperate.........AAARRRGGHHH!

Balanced digital xlr ouput would nice too..........
Anderslober is offline  
post #1546 of 1879 Old 01-23-2016, 02:33 AM
Senior Member
 
lorjam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Somewhere south of Georgia
Posts: 438
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I don't know what the capabilities of the new MediaTek chip are, but I would think some of this HDR mess needs to sorted out before Oppo can finalize their design. Hopefully by CEDIA in September.

JVC-RS4910, Samsung 64H5000, LG 60PA6550
Oppo 93, Oppo 83SE, DirecTV HR44-200, Samsung DTB260F, Roku 3, Denon DP-1200
Marantz AV7702, Onkyo PR-SC5507, Onkyo TX-NR3008, McIntosh C26, DVDO Duo
Parasound A51, Parasound HCA-806A, Emotiva UPA-1s, Marantz MA500s, Sonance 5150, McIntosh MC2105
Paradigm Studio V4s & V5s, Hsu subs X2,
lorjam is online now  
post #1547 of 1879 Old 01-23-2016, 04:41 AM
AVS Special Member
 
SeeMoreDigital's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Nott'm, UK
Posts: 2,444
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorjam View Post
I don't know what the capabilities of the new MediaTek chip are, but I would think some of this HDR mess needs to sorted out before Oppo can finalize their design. Hopefully by CEDIA in September.
For all of us people living over in Euroland, it would be great to see Oppo Digital at IFA Berlin in September

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
SeeMoreDigital is offline  
post #1548 of 1879 Old 01-23-2016, 06:33 AM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 29,262
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1320 Post(s)
Liked: 1331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderslober View Post
We need substantial, evidence based rumours! So Oppo......w'as happenin'?
We need.........dare I say...demand!:-).......some cool info on what you ate working on.

I dont know how long I can wait.......gettin' desperate.........AAARRRGGHHH!

Balanced digital xlr ouput would nice too..........
Latest rumor is that speculation about what FOLLOWS the next round of players will remain at the same high level we have today.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Bob Pariseau is online now  
post #1549 of 1879 Old 01-23-2016, 07:33 AM
Senior Member
 
lorjam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Somewhere south of Georgia
Posts: 438
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
For all of us people living over in Euroland, it would be great to see Oppo Digital at IFA Berlin in September
Yes, the earlier the better

JVC-RS4910, Samsung 64H5000, LG 60PA6550
Oppo 93, Oppo 83SE, DirecTV HR44-200, Samsung DTB260F, Roku 3, Denon DP-1200
Marantz AV7702, Onkyo PR-SC5507, Onkyo TX-NR3008, McIntosh C26, DVDO Duo
Parasound A51, Parasound HCA-806A, Emotiva UPA-1s, Marantz MA500s, Sonance 5150, McIntosh MC2105
Paradigm Studio V4s & V5s, Hsu subs X2,
lorjam is online now  
post #1550 of 1879 Old 01-23-2016, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member
 
artur9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: near philly
Posts: 1,509
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 448 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderslober View Post
Balanced digital xlr ouput would nice too..........
I know what balanced XLR is and digital XLR but what is balanced digital xlr?
artur9 is offline  
post #1551 of 1879 Old 01-23-2016, 02:26 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group
 
gsr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 8,714
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 798 Post(s)
Liked: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by artur9 View Post
I know what balanced XLR is and digital XLR but what is balanced digital xlr?
This is normally referred to as an AES/EBU digital connection and uses an XLR connector. It's usually considered superior to coax and optical digital connections assuming everything is done correctly in both the source component and the DAC. It also has similar benefits for long cable runs as using XLR instead of RCA to hook up analog components.
gsr is online now  
post #1552 of 1879 Old 01-26-2016, 02:40 AM
Senior Member
 
rakosnicek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 227
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by artur9 View Post
I'ld like an embedded Kodi-like interface for playing movies off a NAS. Bonus points for an android or iDevice app to push movies from a NAS to the player.
If you use Kodi now then you can do "Play Using" and the 103/105 will connect to the UPnP server on the NAS.
rakosnicek is offline  
post #1553 of 1879 Old 01-27-2016, 12:15 AM
 
oink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shuloch
Posts: 36,583
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5299 Post(s)
Liked: 3031
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
Latest rumor is that speculation about what FOLLOWS the next round of players will remain at the same high level we have today.
--Bob
Wouldn't expect anything less.

FWIW, I have 3 Oppos.
I'm a big BIG fan of the brand.
IMO, they are the finest disc players available.
Each are rock-solid and I wouldn't trade them for the world.
However...

I am wondering if Oppo shouldn't come out with 2 different levels of UHD players.
1) The Flagship would be its traditional Oppo uber player: state-of-the-art video processing and analog audio with multi-format ability.
2) The Entry model would be, essentially, a transport.
With that in mind, the very latest HDR support (including DV) should be part of the feature set.

I say all of this for 2 reasons.
1) Many of us have ALREADY upgraded to the latest surround processors and don't need the super-duper analog audio.
All we need is a digital transport to AVRs/pre pros where the audio will be decoded.
2) The video processing in many of the top-of-line 4Ks ALREADY have excellent video processing (for example, Sony, Samsung, etc.).
How much could Oppo really bring to the table?
Do we actually need a 4K Darbee system?

Don't get me wrong...I'm an Oppo guy.

Any thoughts?
oink is offline  
post #1554 of 1879 Old 01-27-2016, 01:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Smarty-pants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 17,755
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked: 298
^ Oppo has always tried to offer more than the average product when it comes to features.
If you would need just a simple transport to get your content from player to screen, then another brand may be your best bet.

Of course Oppo does offer that product dependability and customer support that is second to none,
and that could be worth more than other branded players, but Oppo also needs to make money to stay in business,
and I doubt a low(er) cost digital transport is going to do that for them.

I think other brands have MANY products in the wild where small profit (or no profit) from some items more or
less just helps their marketing and brand awareness by saturating the market with their signature products.
They can make more real profit elsewhere, but since Oppo can't really do that,
the products they do make need to be full of awesome features, great support, build quality, etc... for them to price accordingly.

No one likes to say "hey they're in it for the money", but that is what businesses that sell products do.
I think the exception with Oppo is that they do actually care about the products and consumers who use them, and that makes a big difference.

Oppo actually came close to making one (a digital transport) with less features and
a little lower price with their BDP-80 model several years ago.
That model didn't sell nearly as much as most of their more feature laden models.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
Smarty-pants is offline  
post #1555 of 1879 Old 01-27-2016, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member
 
hernanu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Boston Suburbs
Posts: 3,487
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked: 897
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post
.
.
.

Oppo actually came close to making one (a digital transport) with less features and
a little lower price with their BDP-80 model several years ago.
That model didn't sell nearly as much as most of their more feature laden models.
I bought one of these for my parents in 2011, the thing is rock solid and perfect for an older couple just who wanted a player to work.

I know it wasn't successful, but even when they miss, they miss well.
hernanu is offline  
post #1556 of 1879 Old 01-27-2016, 03:23 PM
Advanced Member
 
dnoonie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Seattle, WA area
Posts: 768
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post
Wouldn't expect anything less.

FWIW, I have 3 Oppos.
I'm a big BIG fan of the brand.
IMO, they are the finest disc players available.
Each are rock-solid and I wouldn't trade them for the world.
However...

I am wondering if Oppo shouldn't come out with 2 different levels of UHD players.
1) The Flagship would be its traditional Oppo uber player: state-of-the-art video processing and analog audio with multi-format ability.
2) The Entry model would be, essentially, a transport.
With that in mind, the very latest HDR support (including DV) should be part of the feature set.

I say all of this for 2 reasons.
1) Many of us have ALREADY upgraded to the latest surround processors and don't need the super-duper analog audio.
All we need is a digital transport to AVRs/pre pros where the audio will be decoded.
2) The video processing in many of the top-of-line 4Ks ALREADY have excellent video processing (for example, Sony, Samsung, etc.).
How much could Oppo really bring to the table?
Do we actually need a 4K Darbee system?

Don't get me wrong...I'm an Oppo guy.

Any thoughts?
Do you mean something like, http://oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdt-101CI/,
Oppo BDT-101CI - Bluray Integration Player
https://www.google.com/search?q=BDT-...utf-8&oe=utf-8

If so they will likely continue to make a product like it.

Cheers,
dnoonie is offline  
post #1557 of 1879 Old 01-27-2016, 03:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Smarty-pants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 17,755
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnoonie View Post
Do you mean something like, http://oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdt-101CI/,
Oppo BDT-101CI - Bluray Integration Player
https://www.google.com/search?q=BDT-...utf-8&oe=utf-8

If so they will likely continue to make a product like it.

Cheers,
That player isn't meant for the direct-to-consumer market like their other players like the 103/105 and 103D/105D players.
It is meant for the custom installation market, where custom installers sell the player to people who have custom a/v installations done.
Yes it is a little less feature laden than their other players, with the OPTION of adding more features for higher price points.

Will they offer something similar for direct sales with a UHD-BD player? Impossible to say unless Oppo says it will.
I'm sure we'll find out closer to autumn when they release some details about what it will be like.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
Smarty-pants is offline  
post #1558 of 1879 Old 01-27-2016, 03:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Smarty-pants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 17,755
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post
I bought one of these for my parents in 2011, the thing is rock solid and perfect for an older couple just who wanted a player to work.

I know it wasn't successful, but even when they miss, they miss well.
I have one too and IMHO I do not know why it didn't sell very well.
I guess people just wanted more features or the timing wasn't right or something.
It's a bit outdated now, but the player is rock solid and a fantastic piece of gear.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
Smarty-pants is offline  
post #1559 of 1879 Old 01-27-2016, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member
 
artur9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: near philly
Posts: 1,509
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 448 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post
Oppo actually came close to making one (a digital transport) with less features and
a little lower price with their BDP-80 model several years ago.
That model didn't sell nearly as much as most of their more feature laden models.
I'd love something like that. I don't need all the Oppo analog features but as a digital hub only it would be great. So all the playing of content off NAS (which all my other devices suck at) and the universal disk player would be great.
artur9 is offline  
post #1560 of 1879 Old 01-27-2016, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member
 
steveting99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 3,044
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1645 Post(s)
Liked: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by rakosnicek View Post
If you use Kodi now then you can do "Play Using" and the 103/105 will connect to the UPnP server on the NAS.
How did you get this going working with a common single display? I.e. one HDMI sink.

If Kodi is on a media box that's connected to a pre/pro/receiver with a common display and then the command is given to "play using" Oppo BDP-103/105 the HDMI chain needs to be re-established with a common sink.

Marantz SR-7009, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, aTV, Harmony Home Control remote, KEF E301+T101, MiniDSP (2x4)+(10x10HD)+(DDRC-88A), Emotiva 2xXPA-5 (Gen2), Rythmik 2xF12G+2xF8, HiMedia Q16, LG 55EC9300.
steveting99 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc Bdp 105



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off