What features would you like in your next Oppo BR - e.g. Oppo BDP-113 and BDP-115. - Page 54 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

View Poll Results: DIRAC Live Software
Yes 86 57.33%
No 64 42.67%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
 105Likes

post #1591 of 1596 Old 01-30-2016, 02:07 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1219 Post(s)
Liked: 1280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkknightman View Post
Not sure if this has been posted yet but found this interesting http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=272153. Looks like we might have to register all our UHD discs with the new Oppo
I wouldn't worry too much about this just yet. There are already features that Blu-ray players have to support to get a license, but which the studios don't actually use. For example, "Cinavia" copy protection has been pretty much ignored by most studios.

I suspect this will continue to be the case into the brave, new, UHD Blu-ray era. That is, on-line activation may be a feature the player has to implement to get a license, but whether any studios will actually USE that -- and deal with the torch-and-pitchfork carrying mobs that result -- is yet to be seen.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1592 of 1596 Old 01-30-2016, 02:22 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked: 701
Like the Image Constraint Token to prevent hidef playback over component. All players had to have it but the studios never used it on disc.

Instead they just killed component video.

As I'm reading all this, the phone-home facility is for UHD only, not existing Blu-ray, so the advice at blu-ray.com to stock up on existing players is just panicked weirdness.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #1593 of 1596 Old 01-30-2016, 03:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Send a message via Skype™ to jeroensky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
I wouldn't worry too much about this just yet. There are already features that Blu-ray players have to support to get a license, but which the studios don't actually use. For example, "Cinavia" copy protection has been pretty much ignored by most studios.

I suspect this will continue to be the case into the brave, new, UHD Blu-ray era. That is, on-line activation may be a feature the player has to implement to get a license, but whether any studios will actually USE that -- and deal with the torch-and-pitchfork carrying mobs that result -- is yet to be seen.
--Bob
Can be lots of complaining consumers with no internet connection: I buy the player and disc legal, but cannot view without internet.
post #1594 of 1596 Old 01-30-2016, 04:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 4793 Post(s)
Liked: 2648
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
Oh jeez... Please don't use this abbreviation for Dolby Vision as it more commonly stands for Digital Video
Maybe in the UK, but not here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
That is, on-line activation may be a feature the player has to implement to get a license, but whether any studios will actually USE that -- and deal with the torch-and-pitchfork carrying mobs that result -- is yet to be seen.
--Bob
It would be dumb of them to try such a thing.
Requiring an internet connection in the HT or TV viewing area would definitely bring the "mobs" out.

RIP --- The National Geographic Society (Jan. 1888 - Sept. 2015)
post #1595 of 1596 Old Today, 12:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnoonie View Post
In such cases a multi-pin with a breakout cable is quit common on much of the gear I work with, it saves space.

Attached is a quick and dirty pic from a piece of gear I have. There are RCAs and XLRs on the same pig tail.

Cheers,
Here's a better pic to illustrate, 24 channels of audio I/O in a 3.3 inch (2U if I calc right) 1/2 rack unit.

http://videodevices.com/products/rac...pix270i/images

Cheers,
post #1596 of 1596 Old Today, 04:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnoonie View Post
Here's a better pic to illustrate, 24 channels of audio I/O in a 3.3 inch (2U if I calc right) 1/2 rack unit.
I had completely forgotten about those. Despite the fact that my old Aragon Stage One used that for multi-channel input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc Bdp 105