What features would you like in your next Oppo BR player - whatever models come after the 103 and 105 as these have already been released. While a lot of these items would be nice, I think the ones in bold would shift the paradigm for BR players that can stream from network files.
1. Ability to detect and display forced subs when streaming MKV files.
2. Continue to improve the speed at which the network boots/locks on to the media server so you don't have to wait so long after booting to going to your network server for media. (Network folder pickup seems more likely when using mezzmo for network streaming than using SMB access).
3. Ability to playback streamed LPCM audio
4. Have the Oppo update the media list as more become available from the network source so you don't need to reboot the Oppo for an updated list.
5. Set an option for a default network streaming source and folder so I don't always have to tell it to go to computer1, oshare, video, folders, each time I want to go to my streaming computer. While some may have multiple computers and sources on those computers, I think the vast majority will stream from one of their network sources 99% of the time for the foreseeable future.
6. Give an option for SMB that has a specific folder share by IP\share so it can access it faster and more reliably and can be assigned to a button on the remote.
7. Allow it to save your SMB credentials even if it has trouble logging in so you don't have to retype that every time you make a modification to your PC.
8. Make chapter skip forward when you come to the end of a streamed video starts the next streamed video
9. I'd love 4K upscaling that really WOWs me. Perhaps a huge cache with excellent buffering and a fast processor so that when there is plenty of action it doesn't seem out of focus.
10. Preview or thumbnail pics for media to be streamed when listing media - partially working but not yet in newest firmware.
11. Support for 3D mkv streaming playback
12. Work with one or more of the following for far better streaming menu interface - Plex, MediaBrowser or XMBC.
13. Allow network playback of ISOs and VOBs.
14. Give the option to rearrange the order of options for streaming. I always want folders and genre near the top as that is the way and most people I know organize their media. But not everyone will so let us arrange the order so it is faster for us to get to our media depending on how we organize. This may require Oppo to have their own streaming program like a slightly modified or modifiable Mezzmo.
15. Add an HDMI 2.0 out.
16. Adopt 802.11ad for better range and faster throughput when streaming and choose another wireless supplier - oppos wireless are very weak compared to those built into any other device I have that streams (e.g. laptop, ipad, phone). Better for 1080p streamed content. 802.11ac devices are out this year, 802.11ad will be out in 2014 and is designed for HD streaming. (truth be told I gave up and wired my unit so as long as the new unit has a nice gigabit Ethernet adapter I'll be happy)
17. Make sure all the ports are USB 3.0 to power USB 3.0 drives.
18. Add keys to the remote for network folder shares so you can go straight to TV shows, Movies, Pictures or Music. (Let the user assign what the keys go to - e.g. 4 music locations or 3 video locations and 1 music.
19. Make scrolling even faster perhaps 3x faster than it does now when hold it down for 2 seconds. On playback of a large file - e.g. 30GB movie (MKV) it has trouble speeding through the movie - even when connect to the server using a 1Gbit wired connection. Perhaps it needs more caching or a faster processor.
20. Consider voice command like phones have so you can say "Netflix, show airplane" and it will show all the airplane movies you can pick from or "computer1, videos, folder, the mentalist, season 1" and it goes to that folder. You can see something like this with the xbox one.
21. Give a web interface that let's you quickly modify all the same settings as the on screen interface but with options such as quick save so you can modify settings, save them, restore them etc.
22. Give the ability to search your smb or dlna media (including subdirectories) by typing media name - e.g. Suits or White Collar - even better make it so you can search by more than one term - e.g. NCIS 3 (would search for all the media with both ncis and 3 in the name (not just NCIS OR 3)
23. Add support for wireless mouse. The keyboard is great for typing in text such as for youtube but then it would be use the mouse to easily hop to the right and scroll through the results.
24. FASTER shut down (frequently when streaming gets locked up and you can't switch to home screen or anything else off and on again is the only way to resolve the issue.
25. Support for 4K discs
26. Support for DTS-MDA and/or DTS UHD discs
27. Add the ability to search subdirectories
28. Add support for Mezzmo media servers or some such media server so that the additional information mezzmo passes the app can use - e.g. search by actor or pull up full actor, date, summary details in the app. Pass thumbnails to the tablet as well.
I love my BDP-103 and 93 and ALWAYS recommend the Oppo players. But in electronics there is always room for improvement. Oppo makes a BDP-105 that goes for about $1000 for audio aficionados. I'd be willing to pay $1000 for one designed for streaming aficionados.
This thread was started long before the 103 was released but since the thread lives on, I've updated the first post to cover things not available in the 103. The first 17 pages are about features we were hoping they might include in the 103 so click the link below to hop to the discussion of features you want in the 113 and 115.
They are continuing to improve the feature set on these units as these items have been included since this list was originally created:
a. Allow for a streaming bookmark menu so you can easily and quickly go to specific folders for playback. If I'm halfway through a file on my PC, I'd like it to pick up where I left off like a DVD or Netflix do. - WAHHOOO fixed with more current firmware
b. Get SMB working with Windows 8.1 - WAHHOOO fixed with more current firmware!!
c. Playback of FLAC audio files. - WAHHOOO fixed with more current firmware!!
Skip Over the Old Discussion Prior to OPPO's New BDP-103 and BDP-105 Players!