AVS Forum banner

DIRAC Live Software

• Yes

Votes: 152 62.0%
  • No

Votes: 93 38.0%

What features would you like in your next Oppo BR - e.g. Oppo BDP-113 and BDP-115.

173K views 2K replies 349 participants last post by  steveting99 
#1 · (Edited)
What features would you like in your next Oppo BR player - whatever models come after the 103 and 105 as these have already been released. While a lot of these items would be nice, I think the ones in bold would shift the paradigm for BR players that can stream from network files.

[STREAMING]

1. Ability to detect and display forced subs when streaming MKV files.

2. Continue to improve the speed at which the network boots/locks on to the media server so you don't have to wait so long after booting to going to your network server for media. (Network folder pickup seems more likely when using mezzmo for network streaming than using SMB access).

3. Ability to playback streamed LPCM audio

4. Have the Oppo update the media list as more become available from the network source so you don't need to reboot the Oppo for an updated list.

5. Ability to stream 4K from a media server

6. Ability to stream x265 encoded MKVs

7. Give an option for streaming clients such as Plex or Mezzmo.

8. Set an option for a default network streaming source and folder so I don't always have to tell it to go to computer1, oshare, video, folders, each time I want to go to my streaming computer. While some may have multiple computers and sources on those computers, I think the vast majority will stream from one of their network sources 99% of the time for the foreseeable future.

9. Give an option for SMB that has a specific folder share by IP\share so it can access it faster and more reliably and can be assigned to a button on the remote.

10. Allow it to save your SMB credentials even if it has trouble logging in so you don't have to retype that every time you make a modification to your PC.

11. Make chapter skip forward when you come to the end of a streamed video starts the next streamed video

12. I'd love 4K upscaling that really WOWs me. Perhaps a huge cache with excellent buffering and a fast processor so that when there is plenty of action it doesn't seem out of focus.

13. Preview or thumbnail pics for media to be streamed when listing media - partially working but not yet in newest firmware.

14. Work with one or more of the following for far better streaming menu interface - Plex, MediaBrowser or XMBC.

15. Allow network playback of ISOs and VOBs.

16. Give the option to rearrange the order of options for streaming. I always want folders and genre near the top as that is the way and most people I know organize their media. But not everyone will so let us arrange the order so it is faster for us to get to our media depending on how we organize. This may require Oppo to have their own streaming program like a slightly modified or modifiable Mezzmo.

[CONNECTORS]
17. Add an HDMI 2.0 out.

18. Add SuperMHL or DP 1.4 - HDMI specs are so far behind the capabilities the rest I'd like an alternative option in case my next prepro or TV supports it.

19. Adopt 802.11ad for better range and faster throughput when streaming and choose another wireless supplier - oppos wireless are very weak compared to those built into any other device I have that streams (e.g. laptop, ipad, phone). Better for 1080p streamed content. 802.11ac devices are out this year, 802.11ad will be out in 2014 and is designed for HD streaming. (truth be told I gave up and wired my unit so as long as the new unit has a nice gigabit Ethernet adapter I'll be happy)

20. Make sure all the ports are USB 3.0 to power USB 3.0 drives.

[CONTROLS]
21. Add keys to the remote for network folder shares so you can go straight to TV shows, Movies, Pictures or Music. (Let the user assign what the keys go to - e.g. 4 music locations or 3 video locations and 1 music.

22. Make scrolling even faster perhaps 3x faster than it does now when hold it down for 2 seconds. On playback of a large file - e.g. 30GB movie (MKV) it has trouble speeding through the movie - even when connect to the server using a 1Gbit wired connection. Perhaps it needs more caching or a faster processor.

23. Consider voice command like phones have so you can say "Netflix, show airplane" and it will show all the airplane movies you can pick from or "computer1, videos, folder, the mentalist, season 1" and it goes to that folder. You can see something like this with the xbox one.

24. Give a web interface that let's you quickly modify all the same settings as the on screen interface but with options such as quick save so you can modify settings, save them, restore them etc.

25. Give the ability to search your smb or dlna media (including subdirectories) by typing media name - e.g. Suits or White Collar - even better make it so you can search by more than one term - e.g. NCIS 3 (would search for all the media with both ncis and 3 in the name (not just NCIS OR 3)

26. Add support for wireless mouse. The keyboard is great for typing in text such as for youtube but then it would be use the mouse to easily hop to the right and scroll through the results.

27. FASTER shut down (frequently when streaming gets locked up and you can't switch to home screen or anything else off and on again is the only way to resolve the issue.

[Media]
28. Support for 4K discs

29. Support for DTS-MDA and/or DTS UHD discs

[Media Control]
30. Add the ability to search subdirectories

31. Add support for Mezzmo media servers or some such media server so that the additional information mezzmo passes the app can use - e.g. search by actor or pull up full actor, date, summary details in the app. Pass thumbnails to the tablet as well.

I love my BDP-103 and 93 and ALWAYS recommend the Oppo players. But in electronics there is always room for improvement. Oppo makes a BDP-105 that goes for about $1000 for audio aficionados. I'd be willing to pay $1000 for one designed for streaming aficionados.

This thread was started long before the 103 was released but since the thread lives on, I've updated the first post to cover things not available in the 103. The first 17 pages are about features we were hoping they might include in the 103 so click the link below to hop to the discussion of features you want in the 113 and 115.

They are continuing to improve the feature set on these units as these items have been included since this list was originally created:

a. Allow for a streaming bookmark menu so you can easily and quickly go to specific folders for playback. If I'm halfway through a file on my PC, I'd like it to pick up where I left off like a DVD or Netflix do. - WAHHOOO fixed with more current firmware!!

b. Get SMB working with Windows 8.1 - WAHHOOO fixed with more current firmware!!

c. Playback of FLAC audio files. - WAHHOOO fixed with more current firmware!!

d. Playback of streamed mkv forced subs - you can get them to play by pressing the audio button now! It may not be automatic like on a disc but still wonderful!

e. Playback of streamed mkv 3D - working now - WAHHOOO fixed with more current firmware!!

Skip Over the Old Discussion Prior to OPPO's New BDP-103 and BDP-105 Players!

See less See more
#3 ·
If possible include digital inputs (optical and coaxial) especially on the 95 so one can ultilize the excellent DACs with an outboard source.

Bill

Reactions: mumps
#4 ·
I suppose if Oppo really wanted to set a new paradigm they could consider voice controls.

E.g. press a button on the remote to accept input then say something like "netflix, show airplane and it lists all the airplane movies that are available for streaming.

Or say something like "computer1 (or whatever you name your computer), video, folder, TV Shows, Boston Legal, Season 1 and it brings you to that folder on your computer.

They would probably want to tweak the source select so that computers with more than one streaming option - e.g. WMP and Twonk And Vuze will always select from the right source if you only need one of them - this would eliminate a step in getting to your media. They could even start making their own custom streaming software for your computer if it offered enhanced organization and improved interface on playback via the Oppo.

My android phone does a pretty darn good job with dictation. Perhaps Oppo can make a deal with Google - I'm sure google would like to get into more things besides just phones or Siri like the new iphone 4s is using.

#6 ·
I'd like it to do mindreading, so it can anticipate what next level of junk the production houses will have put on Bluray so as to make our gear not produce the audio and video properly.

Star Wars is still pissing me off.

#7 ·
Thought of one more thing I'd like them to improve on the next one - better memory. Sometimes I'll turn it on and go to me media server and it says where would you like me to begin and sometimes it remembers I was in a specific folder. I'd like it to not only remember the folder but the file I last played so I don't have to scroll through as much stuff - particularly if I have a season of a show in a folder it would be great if it had the kind of memory DVDs and BRs do when you turn on your player it knows where to pick up (where it left off).

#8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac /forum/post/21057708

If possible include digital inputs (optical and coaxial) especially on the 95 so one can ultilize the excellent DACs with an outboard source.

Bill

Oppo... I mean Ditto!

#9 ·
One more idea - work on the fast forward in streaming. On some files it works fine at every speed. On other 1x and 2x ff work fine but any faster than that is choppy and slower than 2x.

To be clear, I understand this is a disc player as its primary function however I think streaming may eventually be just as important as its disc playback abilities. The Oppo 93 is extremely good bang for the buck as a disc player. I figure why not be the best streaming player as well. I want to state as I have little streaming experience the Oppo may already be the best or just one of the crowd. However based on their excellence as great BR player, I'd think they'd probably want to be ahead of the pack as a streaming player by a wide margin.

#12 ·
More flexible handling of discrete 6.1 soundtracks. Mainly the ability to synthesize two rear speakers from the single rear for pre-pro's that cannot.

#13 ·
I got an PM from Oppo User - says he works for Oppo. He said he appreciated the suggestions. If this person is from Oppo, it is great they are monitoring this thread.

I would think AVSforum would be a great place for feedback for companies that offer mid to high end AV equipment. I think we used to see Denon more often but I haven't seen much participation by them lately.

#14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by boe /forum/post/21056024

Hello,

I have the Oppo 93 and for the most part I'm very very happy with it.

I would like a few new options though as I do a lot more streaming lately.

1. An option for a BT keyboard and/or mouse - just typing in my username and pw for pandora was an unpleasant and time consuming experience - online content has lots of places for typing now (e.g. youtube, netflix, pandora...) and it is too dang slow to use arrow keys.

2. Give the option to rearrage the order of options for streaming. I always want folders and genre near the top as that is the way and most people I know organize their media. But not everyone will so let us arrange the order so it is faster for us to get to our media depending on how we organize.

3. Make scrolling faster - it takes a long time to get to the 24th episode of a season's show when using the down arrow to get to the episode you want.

4. Improve the IR reception on the Oppo. All my other units in my rack get great reception -I can even aim at the opposite wall and they work fine. For the Oppo I have it sitting on the edge of the shelf so it has the most direct line of site - any angle whatsoever is a 50/50 chance of activating when I press the remote.

5. Consider voice command like phones have so you can say "netflix, show airplane" and it will show all the airplane movies you can pick from or "computer1, videos, folder, the mentalist, season 1" and it goes to that folder.

6. Improve memory for streaming. Sometimes the oppo will just lose a connection if it has been playing a while or if you turn it off, it doesn't always remember what folder you were in and it certainly doesn't remember what file in that folder you were playing. It would be great for when you are watching a TV series so you can pick up where you left off - kind of like when you power off your movie on disc and it picks up where it left off.

I can say many great things about the Oppo but I'm ready for something new and I'd really like these features to justify my next purchase.

2,3 & 6 can probably be handled via firmware updates.

The scrolling/streaming memory is largely dependent on the content provider (Netflix, etc.), as they dictate the interface. I know, for example, that navigating the Netflix search function is relatively painless & quick, but YouTube... Geez! The letter widgets won't accept the next input until the last one has registered, and then there's that whole "Up to Search/Down to Browse" thing.

And for the love of Pete, YouTube, please give us a way to disable the autoplay of your awful "featured videos"!

#16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebard /forum/post/21080372

2,3 & 6 can probably be handled via firmware updates.

The scrolling/streaming memory is largely dependent on the content provider (Netflix, etc.), as they dictate the interface. I know, for example, that navigating the Netflix search function is relatively painless & quick, but YouTube... Geez! The letter widgets won't accept the next input until the last one has registered, and then there's that whole "Up to Search/Down to Browse" thing.

And for the love of Pete, YouTube, please give us a way to disable the autoplay of your awful "featured videos"!

Actually, for the streaming memory I'm referring to streaming from my PC. I only have one PC set up for streaming. I have tons of folders each for a different TV show and each broken up into seasons. Sometimes you'll be able to pick up where you left off as far as the folder you were in but sometimes (after the oppo is powered down) you have to go through picking your computer source, then the video, then the folder view, then the folder, then the subfolder - time consuming to say the least. Surprisingly I don't always have time to watch an entire season of a show in one sitting so it would be nice if I could leave off with an episode and when I power up my oppo it knows where I left off.

#18 ·
- a web interface so that it can be controlled from a computer/tablet/smartphone

- it can output audio and video from both hdmi ports at the same time

- ability to customize the home screen

- support for formats should identical when the source is disc, USB, or streaming

- full support for Dlna instead of the experimental status that it is now

- faster java

- able to handle new bluray disc with less issues

- cost roughly 2x the cost of a Sony or Samsung mainstream bd player

#19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by eecubed /forum/post/21082543

- a web interface so that it can be controlled from a computer/tablet/smartphone

- it can output audio and video from both hdmi ports at the same time

- ability to customize the home screen

- support for formats should identical when the source is disc, USB, or streaming

- full support for Dlna instead of the experimental status that it is now

- faster java

- able to handle new bluray disc with less issues

- cost roughly 2x the cost of a Sony or Samsung mainstream bd player

I definitely would like more options for customizing the home screen and sub menus under those items.

Also faster java interface would be great!

If the picture quality is twice as good and the menuing system was twice as good as the competition, the price would be quite justifiable.

#21 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by st_o_p /forum/post/21092362

Ability to skip the commercials, disclaimers, etc when start playing blu-rays and dvds and go directly to the movie (or main menu)

The current models already have this for DVD (the yellow button). I suspect licensing doesn't allow it for Blu-ray.

-Bill

#25 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrdb /forum/post/21095091

A lower price-way too expensive.

It's our demands for lower prices that forces companies to build junk. It doesn't just apply to electronics - it applies to everything else as well. There are plenty of remarkably inexpensive Blu-ray players out there if your primary concern is price. OPPO is not built for the Wal-Mart crowd. It's built for people who want quality and are willing to pay for it. Think of it as eating in a fine restaurant instead of consuming fast-food crap.

It completely infuriates me when I see the quality of products decline year after year because we demand prices that are completely unrealistic (corporate greed is part of this as well). And then that poor quality finds its way into more expensive products.

Back in 1986 when they first came out, a CD-ROM drive cost $1000. Today they cost $25. Blu-ray players were around $1000-$2000 when first released. Now you can buy the low-end for around $100 and a fully featured player for around $250. Yes, the OPPOs cost far more than that, but they "go the extra mile" in terms of quality, especially audio quality.

I'm not saying that a price decrease on the OPPOs wouldn't be welcomed, but I wouldn't want OPPO cutting corners to achieve it. There's plenty of other choices in the market if that's what you want.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.