Oppo 93 vs. Panasonic BDT-210 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 10-18-2011, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I am about to get a new blu-ray player (had PS3 before).

Now, Oppo 93 is obviously the choice. However, since I am not that much an audiophile (pretty much 100% on movies only), and the fact that I already have a DVDO DUO as a video processor, I am trying to see if there are another choice.

Hometheatrehifi.com had some pretty good comment on the Panasonic BDT-210, and caught my attention. It is also a lot cheaper, so that helps a lot

So, from just a video processing and color accurate perspective, can a BDT-210 + DUO match Oppo 93? Any other gotcha I need to watch? I very much want to get the Oppo 93, but I would like to understand if I am able to make good use of it (like I am going to be strictly HDMI connection, and not planning to use the 7.1 output).

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-18-2011, 04:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by fight4yu View Post

Now, Oppo 93 is obviously the choice. However, since I am not that much an audiophile (pretty much 100% on movies only), and the fact that I already have a DVDO DUO as a video processor, I am trying to see if there are another choice.

Hometheatrehifi.com had some pretty good comment on the Panasonic BDT-210, and caught my attention. It is also a lot cheaper, so that helps a lot

So, from just a video processing and color accurate perspective, can a BDT-210 + DUO match Oppo 93? Any other gotcha I need to watch? I very much want to get the Oppo 93, but I would like to understand if I am able to make good use of it (like I am going to be strictly HDMI connection, and not planning to use the 7.1 output).

Thanks in advance.

This belongs in the "how to choose a player thread", but I'll bite. Buy a player based on features. The difference in features in these 2 players is not small, so it shouldn't be difficult to decide if the Panny has everything you need.
post #3 of 9 Old 10-18-2011, 04:55 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I will bite also. I own both. They are both good machines. I think the Panasonic is a better streaming player focused on movies. The Oppo is far more flexible in dealing with disc based audio formats. If what you primarily do is watch movies (disc based and streaming) for the money the Panasonic is a very good place to start! Both machines are fairly speedy in terms of disc loading, etc.
post #4 of 9 Old 10-18-2011, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Sorry guys. First time posting in the blu-ray player forum, so I did not know the rules.
As I mentioned before, I do not do any disc-based audio (SACD, DVD-A, analog). Panasonic do have Amazon which I am a Prime member so that's a plus. Now, aside from just streaming, I do watch blu-ray most of the time... and I take my video seriously. Is there any feature in Oppo that I cannot find in Panasonic? Remember that I also had a DVDO DUO VP so I was hoping that for some flaws in Panasonic, I might be able to fix in the DUO?

Thanks. and if needed, I can move my question to the player thread. Please advice.
post #5 of 9 Old 10-18-2011, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:

Thanks in advance.

I own the BDT210 + BDP95 but I have knowledge of the very similar BDP93. I will try to make it simple.

Both players do well with disc and internet based content, however:
For internet streaming content, Panasonic BDT210 is clearly superior.
For disc based content, Oppo 93 is clearly superior.

Also, you might want to consider a few of the following things. How important is build quality and style of the player? The Panasonic feels and looks like a cheap toy compared to the Oppo; that does not mean it will necessarily be more reliable internally (though my BDT210 did need repair within 3mos of purchase), but the Oppo does feel like a much better made product... and looks MUCH better.

Panasonic primarily excels in internet streaming because they offer more than Oppo and what Panasonic does offer has a better interface; this is except for DLNA local network streaming, where Oppo has better flexibility and performance.

Oppo primarily excels in disc playback by offering superior upconversion of DVD and also many more tweakable variables that can enhance the picture quality or your viewing experience. Oppo, unlike Panasonic, also offers 'source direct' which allows you to bypass the Oppo's video scaler so you can use a different one instead if you choose. Meaning that the BDT210 will have already mangled the signal before it gets to yoru DVDO for processing. The Oppo, on the other hand, can automatically send the original 480i/1080i/etc signals for processing to the DVDO - which would likely yield better output than the Panasonic which would deinterlace the signal before feeding it to the DVDO.

Having both, the Oppo is obviously the better Blu-ray player... but the Panasonic offers a lot of internet services that Oppo does not and is an amazing Blu-ray player for its price. So, that is how I would summarize the differences, pick your poison If it were me, I'd get the Oppo simply for the fact that the Panasonic can't offer clean source direct video to your scaler for processing while the Oppo can.
post #6 of 9 Old 10-18-2011, 09:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruined View Post

I own the BDT210 + BDP95 but I have knowledge of the very similar BDP93. I will try to make it simple.

Both players do well with disc and internet based content, however:
For internet streaming content, Panasonic BDT210 is clearly superior.
For disc based content, Oppo 93 is clearly superior.

Also, you might want to consider a few of the following things. How important is build quality and style of the player? The Panasonic feels and looks like a cheap toy compared to the Oppo; that does not mean it will necessarily be more reliable internally (though my BDT210 did need repair within 3mos of purchase), but the Oppo does feel like a much better made product... and looks MUCH better.

Panasonic primarily excels in internet streaming because they offer more than Oppo and what Panasonic does offer has a better interface; this is except for DLNA local network streaming, where Oppo has better flexibility and performance.

Oppo primarily excels in disc playback by offering superior upconversion of DVD and also many more tweakable variables that can enhance the picture quality or your viewing experience. Oppo, unlike Panasonic, also offers 'source direct' which allows you to bypass the Oppo's video scaler so you can use a different one instead if you choose. Meaning that the BDT210 will have already mangled the signal before it gets to yoru DVDO for processing. The Oppo, on the other hand, can automatically send the original 480i/1080i/etc signals for processing to the DVDO - which would likely yield better output than the Panasonic which would deinterlace the signal before feeding it to the DVDO.

Having both, the Oppo is obviously the better Blu-ray player... but the Panasonic offers a lot of internet services that Oppo does not and is an amazing Blu-ray player for its price. So, that is how I would summarize the differences, pick your poison If it were me, I'd get the Oppo simply for the fact that the Panasonic can't offer clean source direct video to your scaler for processing while the Oppo can.

+1

Jacob
post #7 of 9 Old 10-19-2011, 12:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks Guys. Oppo it is! I had the Oppo DVD player like 8 years ago, and it is still working pretty nice. So, I do have confidence in Oppo. Looks like source direct is really what I would need. I dumb netflix a while back, so streaming to me is not too big a deal, and Amazon sucks in streaming content anyway... I still have my PS3 so they do have good VUDU and netflix streaming if needed.
post #8 of 9 Old 10-19-2011, 02:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:

Thanks Guys. Oppo it is! I had the Oppo DVD player like 8 years ago, and it is still working pretty nice. So, I do have confidence in Oppo. Looks like source direct is really what I would need. I dumb netflix a while back, so streaming to me is not too big a deal, and Amazon sucks in streaming content anyway... I still have my PS3 so they do have good VUDU and netflix streaming if needed.

the oppo also has vudu and Pandora radio.

Jacob
post #9 of 9 Old 10-19-2011, 04:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Instead of merging this thread into the "help me chose a br player", I'm going to go ahead and lock it. If I merged the thread you would "lose" the responses within the thread (since the posts would line up from the time sequence of the post within those existing responses in the help me chose thread).

"Retired" AVS Moderator
Closed Thread Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page