Samsungs not playing the latest blu rays - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 10-27-2011, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 67
My Samsung has not been playing the latest blu rays that have been coming out. Just a few that I can name off the top of my head:

1. Lion King
2. Fast Five
3. Bridesmaids

I also recently got Pirates: On Stranger Tides and have not tried to get it to play yet but it's a new Disney release like Lion King and I'm pretty sure that it won't so I haven't even tried yet

Lion King played once and that was it. Now it loads up and stays on the Disney Castle background which I'm sure is what Pirates will do

Fast Five stayed on a similar background that said Universal and never even played once

Once thing some of these movies have is the "second screen" feature which allows another viewer to stream the movie to an IPad or other tablet

Maybe Samsung needs to update the software on their blu ray players so that they will work with these types of Blu Ray Discs? Is their a new blu ray standard or DRM that they need to update software for?

Apparently Disney is aware and their site says that if you get stuck on the Disney Castle screen then you need to download the latest firmware

My firmware is the latest and has been since the LAST TIME THEY RELEASED NEW FIRMWARE IN JULY!!!

Obviously Samsung needs to get on the ball and release a new firmware update

(Note: On the Amazon.com Lion King blu ray page I noted this problem in a discussion and another user chimed in that he had the same problem and he has a BD-D5700. I have a BD-D6700 dual hdmi blu ray player for reference

What is the meaning of life?
www.iamsecond.com/films
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 10-27-2011, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 98
^^^
Mine (model 6500) played the Netfix BD of Bridesmaids fine, when it would not work on my other BD player (Pioneer 320).

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, etc.
post #3 of 18 Old 10-27-2011, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Well, after chatting with Samsung product support I can only relay the very little information I was able to squeeze out of them:

They would only give me a generic timeline that "they generally release new firmware every 4-6 months" once I made it clear that they needed to release new firmware

I told them thats not good enough when I paid over $200 for my BD player, and eventually after threatening several times to go buy Sony products they admitted that there is a new firmware update in the works (I've been having to use my PS3 to play the blu rays that won't work on my BD-D6700)

As to the poster above. I can confirm that Lion King and Fast Five will not play more than once (Fast Five didn't play at all) but my wife is the one that told me Bridesmaids wouldn't play but I can't personally confirm that yet

I'm guessing since their is a firmware update in the works that we'll get it sometime in November which would fit since they said they release new firmware every 4-6 months and the last time was July 24, 2011

www.iamsecond.com/films
post #4 of 18 Old 10-27-2011, 10:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Have you reviewed your player's master thread for information or posted the issues there for others to review?

Here's the 6700 owner's thread

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hlight=samsung

"Retired" AVS Moderator
New lower price : Anthem MX-510 Receiver (awaiting payment) & ACS PlanarTrap (freestanding acoustic panel) ($300/pair):
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-au...tic-panel.html
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-au...iver-sale.html
post #5 of 18 Old 10-27-2011, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

As there was little to no iformation already out there regarding this issue, and the fact that it spans across several different Samsung models, I thought it relevant to a broader audience than one model's thread

That said, I will take your suggestion and post something about the problem in my players thread so that people there will also be aware if they miss this topic

www.iamsecond.com/films
post #6 of 18 Old 10-27-2011, 10:43 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
my BD-D5500 seems to update every 3 months. The latest a few weeks ago was for compatibility with more discs, so I think the process is working, but probably not as fast as new releases come up.
post #7 of 18 Old 10-28-2011, 12:42 PM

right on cue the D5500 ran another update last night. And looks to average about an update every three months like I thought

BD-D5500 Firmware >

This Firmware update provides the following benefits:

Ver.1018.1 Oct.19.2011
- Improved ''Vudu'' compatibility

Ver.1015.5 Aug.31.2011
- OSD modification
- Improved specific BD title''s playback compatibility

Ver.1008.1 Apr.01.2011
- Improved specific BD title''s playback compatibility
- Improved Widget compatibility
post #8 of 18 Old 10-30-2011, 01:18 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Yep, here's the support page with downloads for your BD-D5500
http://www.samsung.com/us/support/ow...ct/BD-D5500/ZA
They put a new software update out on 10/18 for you guys

Here's the support page for the BD-D6700
http://www.samsung.com/us/support/ow...ct/BD-D6700/ZA
Our last update was on July 24

I don't know why your player would be getting more updates than the dual hdmi player that I have which actually is the more expensive model

I guess one explanation would be that the D5500 had more software issues that had to be addressed or actually needed more updates

Or more likely they just cater to that particular model more often because more people bought that one and they take care of the largest user base first

I don't know I'm just guessing at this point. I've never had issues playing the latest blu rays until now and from other posts I've read I'm not the only one

www.iamsecond.com/films
post #9 of 18 Old 11-04-2011, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Apparently Cars 2 and the Toy Story movies have been glitching up a lot in different Samsung blu ray players. Add this to the list

Samsung is supposedly going to email people and tell them about the problem and are working on an update

Here's a link to the Cars 2 glitch thread
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post21167743

www.iamsecond.com/films
post #10 of 18 Old 11-05-2011, 07:47 PM

I have the D6500 and it does the same thing. Cars 2 and Lion King remain on the castle screen. Jurassic Park doesn't work Lord of the Rings don't work Conan the barbarian neither. The Star Wars movies work but not the Extra content blu-rays and Clone Wars Season 3 doesn't work. Older blu-rays work though
post #11 of 18 Old 11-06-2011, 04:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Does anybody here have a direct email address to a Samsung Support person? Maybe if we shared they would get a better idea of the trouble.. and have a list of name to submit to show a general error and not a single user error? I have one name but don't feel it would be right to post it publicly.

David
post #12 of 18 Old 11-17-2011, 07:58 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 24
I'm about ready to toss my Samsung d5700 out the window, this is just stupid. Can't get the majority of my Disney movies past the dang Castle screen. I go to update the player and it says no update available.

Last Samsung I will ever buy.
post #13 of 18 Old 11-17-2011, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt34 View Post

I'm about ready to toss my Samsung d5700 out the window, this is just stupid. Can't get the majority of my Disney movies past the dang Castle screen. I go to update the player and it says no update available.

Last Samsung I will ever buy.

I agree, it is ridiculous. I have a 6700 and it is great except for the fact that it won't play a lot of the new releases until the update comes out

Funny thing is, some of the models that came out this year have gotten specific BD playback compatibility updates in their firmware updates since July 24th, the last time my player was updated

If they are going to release updates to make certain new Blu ray discs work, they should release them for all players not just the most popular/well sold player

To my point: (From samsung.com)

< BD-D6700 Firmware history> (The one I own)

Ver.1005.4 Jul.25.2011 (Latest update)

Ver.1004.1 May.24.2011

Ver.1001.6 Apr.01.2011
- Improved specific BD title''s playback compatibility*

Compare that to....

< BD-D5500 Firmware history>

Ver.1018.1 Oct.19.2011

Ver.1015.5 Aug.31.2011
- OSD modification
- Improved specific BD title''s playback compatibility *

Ver.1008.1 Apr.01.2011

Note that the D5500 had an update on 8/31 for playback compatibility. Note also that this player did too:

< BD-D6500 Firmware history>

Ver.1018.1 Oct.19.2011

Ver.1015.5 Aug.31.2011
- OSD modification

Ver.1008.1 Apr.01.2011

This explains why pbarach stated above that his 6500 would play Bridesmaids while mine wouldn't. Because a specific BD playback compatibility update was released for his unit

But suspiciously this update was not released for my d6700 although they are basically the same unit except for the extra HDMI output the d6700 has

Mine also wouldn't play Fast Five, but I haven't heard anyone with another model say that it wouldn't play on theirs

This isn't right. Maybe next time I won't buy the more expensive/less owned model because I'll be left out in the desert on firmware updates

www.iamsecond.com/films
post #14 of 18 Old 11-30-2011, 08:33 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
Well, count me as another one bitten by this one. I'm still happier with this player than I was with my Oppo, as it still plays more discs than that other player.

Obviously this is something both Disney and Samsung are aware of and if we're lucky we'll see some new firmware around the first of the year.

...also known as Stuart Sweet at DBSTalk.com
post #15 of 18 Old 12-22-2011, 04:22 PM

Well, Samsung updated the firmware for my BD5500 on their website to 1020. Updated it today and tried Cars 2 3D, one that skips at regular spots.....and it still skips!!!! Come on Samsung!!! Fix this, this has been around for months.......

Play a real game...play pinball!!!
post #16 of 18 Old 12-25-2011, 10:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamontcranston View Post

Well, count me as another one bitten by this one. I'm still happier with this player than I was with my Oppo, as it still plays more discs than that other player.

Obviously this is something both Disney and Samsung are aware of and if we're lucky we'll see some new firmware around the first of the year.

That's a ridiculous statement. I've never heard of anyone more satisfied with a Samsung over an OPPO. OPPO releases fixes for films quickly and all their players are still supported and pretty much play everything I've thrown at them. I can't speak that well about the Samsungs I've owned. The only player that's comparatively reliable as an OPPO is simply and only a PS3.

65VT60+55GT50+Onkyo TX-NR727+Denon AVR-1913+OPPO bdp-103+OPPO bdp-83=Heaven
post #17 of 18 Old 12-26-2011, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semp1 View Post

... The only player that's comparatively reliable as an OPPO is simply and only a PS3.

I agree! I been surprisely very happy with my original PS3! I have try a Samsung and not as happy with it; so I going to return it and try a Sony S480. Hopefully, it will playback the same as the PS3 but I do not think it will since it not the same department that develops the PS3(gaming) vs. Blu Ray division. I read that Playback Format is limited on the Blu-Ray Players too vs. the PS3.
post #18 of 18 Old 11-06-2012, 03:46 PM

Hi,
I was having similar problems with my Samsung BD-D6700. I went to the Samsung support site and did a keyboard chat with one of the agents. He was very helpful.... directed me to the site to download the newest firmware and to a place that had instructions. Loaded it on to a flash drive and put it in my player. Then the newer disks I purchased played just fine.

My only puzzle was, where is the USB port. Looked high and low but finally found a little door on the lower right front panel.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Samsung Bd D6700 3d Blu Ray Disc Player , Samsung Blu Ray Player Bd D5700
Gear in this thread - D5700 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page