2012 Oppo or other new BD player coming out this year worth waiting for? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 94 Old 01-02-2012, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter
cpc
AVS Club Gold
 
cpc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Toronto,ON,Canada
Posts: 7,504
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am planning to pick up an Oppo 93 soon, but, I was wondering if there is a new Oppo model coming out this year....or, is there anything else coming out this year I should consider before going with an Oppo 93 within the next couple months?
cpc is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 94 Old 01-02-2012, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member
 
GizmoDVD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,020
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpc View Post

I am planning to pick up an Oppo 93 soon, but, I was wondering if there is a new Oppo model coming out this year....or, is there anything else coming out this year I should consider before going with an Oppo 93 within the next couple months?

Since none of us can see into the future...
GizmoDVD is offline  
post #3 of 94 Old 01-02-2012, 07:16 PM
Advanced Member
 
longhaul747's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Seattle
Posts: 523
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I think Blu Ray tech is pretty much done moving forward. Although this years CES show in Vegas should tell many tales.

Oppo and many manufactures are a bit stuck because of the new rules regarding the analog outputs. Anything new designed and released today would have to have them removed or at least for now seriously limited in output resolution. This is the component outputs but HDMI is not affected. However as long as they make the old models they can keep them the same. So for right now the incentive is to not change a thing.

I am just blowing in the wind here but I think the next big thing will be some sort of 4K blu ray format being announced. However I doubt it will be ready for prime time this year but just maybe at CES we will hear about it in the R&D stages.
longhaul747 is offline  
post #4 of 94 Old 01-02-2012, 08:08 PM
boe
AVS Special Member
 
boe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 2,344
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 49
While I'd love to see a 4K BR player anounced this year Oppo still has a TON of room to improve the 93. THe 93 is a GREAT player but there is a detailed thread of all the things that could be done to improve it. If they can improve the streaming on the next 103 model or whatever they will call it I'll probably be on of the first to plop down my money. I'm happy with the 93 but since I do so much streaming (not neftlix but from my own storage) I could definitely appreciate a big improvement in the streaming end of the BR player.
boe is offline  
post #5 of 94 Old 01-03-2012, 06:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
rboster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 17,563
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Here's the thread boe was referring to...I was thinking it might be one that would interest the OP.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...highlight=oppo

thanks boe

"Retired" AVS Moderator
rboster is online now  
post #6 of 94 Old 01-03-2012, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member
 
JohnAV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 6,495
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpc View Post

I am planning to pick up an Oppo 93 soon, but, I was wondering if there is a new Oppo model coming out this year....or, is there anything else coming out this year I should consider before going with an Oppo 93 within the next couple months?

I would check out the trends highlighted by CES 2012 in regards to home video/audio, as this will dictate what might occur later this year as far BD player updates, and new models. OLED and 4K technology will be whats hot at CES 2012.

IMHO there are no obvious gotchas if you were to buy a BDP-93 now and what you might miss out later this year.

Oppo Beta Group
JohnAV is offline  
post #7 of 94 Old 01-03-2012, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member
 
rich3fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: In the land of Perry
Posts: 1,030
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
This thread is a GREAT idea!!!

Please don't confront me with my failures, I'm aware of them. - Greg Allman
rich3fan is online now  
post #8 of 94 Old 01-03-2012, 02:55 PM
Member
 
jwsg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
The impetus for a new model may not be new features per se but the wish to switch to the currently available components and chipsets. This is an advancement upon the SOC in our 9X machines http://www.mtk.com.tw/en/Products/fe...ntent.php?sn=4 Perhaps there are newer video processors than the Marvell too.

The consequence of a new model might be that new features are incorporated into it only and our previous model just gets fixes for new blu-ray releases. This might be the fear in the mind of prospective purchasers.
jwsg is offline  
post #9 of 94 Old 01-03-2012, 11:36 PM
Member
 
HarryWild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 126
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just remember that as time pasts; technology always gets better and better! More features, more power, smaller in size, better looking package, new technology, etc....

So if you can wait and do not need it now; you can buy the Oppo 93 like next year for probably half off or more depending on what changes are taken place this year.

Just remember most purchases are based on desire for the best! But if there is something that is better; then you discard the current desire and go with the new desire. The smart purchaser goes with the previous desire since it will save money and you would of purchase it anyways at a much higher cost before the "new" product came to being.
HarryWild is online now  
post #10 of 94 Old 01-04-2012, 05:58 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group
 
gsr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 7,433
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWild View Post

So if you can wait and do not need it now; you can buy the Oppo 93 like next year for probably half off or more depending on what changes are taken place this year.

Have you taken a look at prices of used Oppo BDP-83's? If their prices are any indication, half off is extremely optimistic as Oppo's hold their value very well.
gsr is online now  
post #11 of 94 Old 01-04-2012, 10:14 AM
boe
AVS Special Member
 
boe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 2,344
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post

I would check out the trends highlighted by CES 2012 in regards to home video/audio, as this will dictate what might occur later this year as far BD player updates, and new models. OLED and 4K technology will be whats hot at CES 2012.

IMHO there are no obvious gotchas if you were to buy a BDP-93 now and what you might miss out later this year.

Does someone usually start an "official" thread dedicated to a specific or group of new DVD players shown at CES?
boe is offline  
post #12 of 94 Old 01-04-2012, 11:42 AM
Member
 
jwsg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
This from Oppo facebook page is pretty clear I think
Quote:


OPPO We have never shown at CES. We are often walking the floor and talking to reviewers and other industry contacts, but we have never premiered a player at CES.

We generally release new product every 18 to 24 months, and the BDP-93 was first made available November 2010. Infer as you will.

jwsg is offline  
post #13 of 94 Old 01-04-2012, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member
 
scolumbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 1,991
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich3fan View Post

This thread is a GREAT idea!!!

I agree, instead of cluttering the Oppo 93 thread with the same question every couple of days, they can come here and post the "when will the new Oppo be released" question over and over. Let's make this a sticky so everyone has a chance to post the question.
scolumbo is offline  
post #14 of 94 Old 01-05-2012, 07:16 AM
boe
AVS Special Member
 
boe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 2,344
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwsg View Post

OPPO We have never shown at CES. We are often walking the floor and talking to reviewers and other industry contacts, but we have never premiered a player at CES.

We generally release new product every 18 to 24 months, and the BDP-93 was first made available November 2010. Infer as you will.

I sure hope they lean towards the 18 months this time around. I'd still recommend the 93 to most people but look forward to some tweaked features soon.
boe is offline  
post #15 of 94 Old 01-05-2012, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member
 
rich3fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: In the land of Perry
Posts: 1,030
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by scolumbo View Post

I agree, instead of cluttering the Oppo 93 thread with the same question every couple of days, they can come here and post the "when will the new Oppo be released" question over and over. Let's make this a sticky so everyone has a chance to post the question.

We now have a link we can just drop in the 93 thread whenever this extremely redundant question comes up, and hopefully the rediculous aguments that ensue will end as well. I agree, should be a sticky.

Please don't confront me with my failures, I'm aware of them. - Greg Allman
rich3fan is online now  
post #16 of 94 Old 01-11-2012, 10:53 AM
Senior Member
 
edtorious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: San Diego, California
Posts: 344
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I don't want to wait for what's coming out this year but is there any other BD player out there that can compete with Oppo 93 nowadays? For the same price as Oppo, I'm looking at Marantz UD5005, Onkyo BD-SP809 or Denon DBP-116UD but I don't know enough if they are comparable to Oppo? I'm not much of an expert when it comes to BD tech but can anyone care to comment or suggest any other BD player that you think good enough to compete with Oppo 93? I'd appreciate it. Thanks.
edtorious is offline  
post #17 of 94 Old 01-11-2012, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Kris Deering's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: The Pacific Northwet
Posts: 7,030
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Honestly, the Oppo BDP-83 is still one of the best BLU-RAY players money can buy. The only reason to get something new at this point is for a feature YOU need above and beyond the actual Blu-ray playback of the player. I really don't see any need for improvement when it comes to actual Blu-ray playback from any of Oppo's offerings. What people want are more creature features that relate more to streaming services. With these services being offered on just about every consumer electronics device short of maybe a toaster, I'm surprised that everyone wants them in every single device they own. But if you're looking for a Blu-ray player to actually just play Blu-ray discs, you can't go wrong with any of their offerings.

Senior Video Editor
Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity

Click Here To See My Current Setup
Kris Deering is offline  
post #18 of 94 Old 01-11-2012, 05:37 PM
Senior Member
 
edtorious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: San Diego, California
Posts: 344
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post

Honestly, the Oppo BDP-83 is still one of the best BLU-RAY players money can buy. The only reason to get something new at this point is for a feature YOU need above and beyond the actual Blu-ray playback of the player. I really don't see any need for improvement when it comes to actual Blu-ray playback from any of Oppo's offerings. What people want are more creature features that relate more to streaming services. With these services being offered on just about every consumer electronics device short of maybe a toaster, I'm surprised that everyone wants them in every single device they own. But if you're looking for a Blu-ray player to actually just play Blu-ray discs, you can't go wrong with any of their offerings.

What a about my Sony BDP-S770? Does anybody here upgraded their Sony BDP-S770 to Oppo BDP-93? Is there any difference to PQ when it comes to watching Blu-rays and 3D? Not sure if it's worth upgrading based on PQ alone, I'm hoping to hear from user experience. Thanks.
edtorious is offline  
post #19 of 94 Old 01-11-2012, 10:07 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Kris Deering's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: The Pacific Northwet
Posts: 7,030
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by edtorious View Post

What a about my Sony BDP-S770? Does anybody here upgraded their Sony BDP-S770 to Oppo BDP-93? Is there any difference to PQ when it comes to watching Blu-rays and 3D? Not sure if it's worth upgrading based on PQ alone, I'm hoping to hear from user experience. Thanks.

Hope it's better than this Sony:Sony 570

Senior Video Editor
Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity

Click Here To See My Current Setup
Kris Deering is offline  
post #20 of 94 Old 01-12-2012, 12:14 PM
wse
AVS Special Member
 
wse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 6,482
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 299
It will most likely upscale to 4K and have the latest DACs supporting 32-bit/192kHz DACs fully asynchronous mod

By the way look who uses the same DACs as Oppo BDP-95

http://www.simaudio.com/moon750D.htm

Also check this site great news for high end

http://www.6moons.com/news/news.html
wse is offline  
post #21 of 94 Old 01-14-2012, 07:36 AM
 
AtDaBeach's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,014
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpc View Post

I am planning to pick up an Oppo 93 soon, but, I was wondering if there is a new Oppo model coming out this year....or, is there anything else coming out this year I should consider before going with an Oppo 93 within the next couple months?


As an owner, if you want a universal media player, its great, if you dont need any more than a Blu player, a Panny BDT210 or the upcoming BDT500 would be worth looking at.

AFAIK, maybe a new Oppo next fall, nothing confirmed though. I'd buy a 93 or Panny and move on with my life
AtDaBeach is offline  
post #22 of 94 Old 01-14-2012, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Jacob305's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,403
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post

Honestly, the Oppo BDP-83 is still one of the best BLU-RAY players money can buy. The only reason to get something new at this point is for a feature YOU need above and beyond the actual Blu-ray playback of the player. I really don't see any need for improvement when it comes to actual Blu-ray playback from any of Oppo's offerings. What people want are more creature features that relate more to streaming services. With these services being offered on just about every consumer electronics device short of maybe a toaster, I'm surprised that everyone wants them in every single device they own. But if you're looking for a Blu-ray player to actually just play Blu-ray discs, you can't go wrong with any of their offerings.

+1

Jacob
Jacob305 is online now  
post #23 of 94 Old 01-14-2012, 10:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
oink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shuloch
Posts: 26,553
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

It will most likely upscale to 4K and have the latest DACs supporting 32-bit/192kHz DACs fully asynchronous mode

If they do, I'll buy (in spite of not having a 4K display yet).

BTW, at CES, Sony announced 4 upconverting to 4K players.
The game is on.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
oink is offline  
post #24 of 94 Old 01-14-2012, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member
 
JohnAV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 6,495
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 75
The Marvell Qdeo already has the capacity to scale to 4K. The Onkyo TX-NR809 AVR uses the same Qdeo video processor and bills itself as upscaling to 4k. Just need 4K display to verify operation is my assumption.

Oppo Beta Group
JohnAV is offline  
post #25 of 94 Old 01-14-2012, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member
 
glangford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,773
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 50
I got a BDP-95 for christmas. It will be a long long time before I need another BD player.
glangford is offline  
post #26 of 94 Old 01-14-2012, 12:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
oink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shuloch
Posts: 26,553
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post

Just need 4K display to verify operation is my assumption.

True.

Now that I think about it...a 4K display would upscale a standard BD anyway.
NOW, if we had 4K source material....

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
oink is offline  
post #27 of 94 Old 01-15-2012, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member
 
bakerwi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: The Peach State
Posts: 2,840
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

It will most likely upscale to 4K and have the latest DACs supporting 32-bit/192kHz DACs fully asynchronous mod

By the way look who uses the same DACs as Oppo BDP-95

http://www.simaudio.com/moon750D.htm

Also check this site great news for high end

http://www.6moons.com/news/news.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

If they do, I'll buy (in spite of not having a 4K display yet).

BTW, at CES, Sony announced 4 upconverting to 4K players.
The game is on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post

The Marvell Qdeo already has the capacity to scale to 4K. The Onkyo TX-NR809 AVR uses the same Qdeo video processor and bills itself as upscaling to 4k. Just need 4K display to verify operation is my assumption.

I have a friend in the industry who recently saw a 4K demonstration and he stated that 4K has the most benefit for those using projectors. He said when viewing 4K on a screen less than 80 inches you may or may not notice any difference between 4K and 1080p unless you know exactly what to look for. However, he also stated that many will see a difference between 4K and 1080p on displays less than 80 inches is because they know they shoud see a difference.

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

Oppo BDP-105, Denon DVD-5910CI, Cambridge 752BD, Cambridge 640C V2

Paradigm Signature S8, Paradigm Signature ADP1

Paradigm Signature ADP3, Paradigm Signature C5

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Oppo BDP-93, BDP-103D, Pioneer BDP-320

Sony BDP-S790

bakerwi is offline  
post #28 of 94 Old 01-15-2012, 08:22 AM
wse
AVS Special Member
 
wse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 6,482
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerwi View Post

I have a friend in the industry who recently saw a 4K demonstration and he stated that 4K has the most benefit for those using projectors. He said when viewing 4K on a screen less than 80 inches you may or may not notice any difference between 4K and 1080p unless you know exactly what to look for. However, he also stated that many will see a difference between 4K and 1080p on displays less than 80 inches is because they know they shoud see a difference.

I agree 100% with your signature: "spending more doesn’t always mean that you get more. Sometimes it just means you spent more."

I have a 10 feet wide screen so I think I should be able to see the difference which is why I am strongly interested in 4K
wse is offline  
post #29 of 94 Old 01-15-2012, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member
 
bakerwi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: The Peach State
Posts: 2,840
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

I agree 100% with your signature: "spending more doesn't always mean that you get more. Sometimes it just means you spent more."

I have a 10 feet wide screen so I think I should be able to see the difference which is why I am strongly interested in 4K

I am in the process of setting up a dedicated home theater environment and hope to deploy 4K down the road on a 100+ inch screen. As my friend stated the additional pixel count and resolution should benefit the projector enthusiast a lot.

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

Oppo BDP-105, Denon DVD-5910CI, Cambridge 752BD, Cambridge 640C V2

Paradigm Signature S8, Paradigm Signature ADP1

Paradigm Signature ADP3, Paradigm Signature C5

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Oppo BDP-93, BDP-103D, Pioneer BDP-320

Sony BDP-S790

bakerwi is offline  
post #30 of 94 Old 06-21-2012, 01:41 PM
Member
 
James in VA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: VA
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I hate to ask since I feel I might get flamed but has anyone heard anything about a successor to the BDP-93 in the past 5 months?
James in VA is offline  
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off