Sony BDP-S185 BDP-BX18 Blu-ray Disc player - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 111 Old 01-26-2013, 11:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, new to the forum and have a question regarding the remote for the BDP-S185. I have a Vizio TV and through some research found code
4 will work for power and volume.

My question is does anyone know how to get the TV input to work for the Vizio? Many thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 111 Old 01-26-2013, 02:56 PM

Hi: I connected a new BDP-BX18 today and all seemed fine. I paused the disc as I had to take the dog out, and when I came back in, the unit and the tv were both turned to Off. The tv started right up, but the dvd player will not come back on and I am unable to get the disc out...which I was just borrowing from someone else! Any ideas on what problem could be, or at the very least, how to get their disc out without breaking it to pieces before I return this possible pile of junk? Thanks!!
post #93 of 111 Old 02-01-2013, 10:56 AM

Liked: 12
I bought this player a while back to replace a much higher spec'd Sony Bluray.. It plays fine but my main issue is that it doesn't seem to resume if I stop a bluray. I have to say I just assumed this was standard in all bluray players.
Is this the same with all BDP-S185 players or has it been fixed in a later firware release?
post #94 of 111 Old 02-01-2013, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerednai View Post

I bought this player a while back to replace a much higher spec'd Sony Bluray.. It plays fine but my main issue is that it doesn't seem to resume if I stop a bluray. I have to say I just assumed this was standard in all bluray players.
Is this the same with all BDP-S185 players or has it been fixed in a later firware release?
It's the same with all. Resume depends entirely on how the disc was authored. Some will, some won't.
post #95 of 111 Old 02-01-2013, 01:33 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

It's the same with all. Resume depends entirely on how the disc was authored. Some will, some won't.
Really? I can never remember having this problem with my PS3, yet it hasn't resumed on a single disc I have put in the S185. I can't remember it ever failing on my old Sony player either.
post #96 of 111 Old 02-01-2013, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Do you press STOP, or do you just power off or eject? I think you have to press STOP for the resume point to get marked.

I don't have the 185 per se, but have had other 2011 sony models and they all worked the same way as every other player I've had. Do you not get a screen asking if you want to resume? Have you tried setting bookmarks instead?

Maybe it really is a bug. Unfortunately, there probably won't be many more firmware updates for that model, if history is any guide.

EDIT: I see now this is a very low end model. It's entirely possible it has no resume at all. Sorry for the bad info.
post #97 of 111 Old 02-14-2013, 11:53 PM

I have one of these players...and am very happy with it for streaming and disc playback.
I've recently converted a bunch of DVD's to mp4 files, and put them on a 1.5TB portable harddrive that's formatted FAT32. When plugged into the Sony, all works well, the machine can navigate to and play a file...
My issue is that, after about a half hour, playback stops and I get the error message "overload occurred, please power down system and disconnect USB device".
Not cool. Anyone else encounter this? Any fix? My firmware is updated to the latest.

Additionally, anyone using a specific kind of drive in this way that works well? I'd be happy to buy a new, smaller drive if I knew it could play nice with the Sony.

Thanks all.
post #98 of 111 Old 02-16-2013, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
I assume your portable HD is powered from an outlet.... right? IF not, I think you are lucky the player warned you before it had a "melt down".
post #99 of 111 Old 02-16-2013, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by budwich View Post

I assume your portable HD is powered from an outlet.... right? IF not, I think you are lucky the player warned you before it had a "melt down".

No, it's a bus-powered Western Digital My Passport drive. A chat with Sony tech support resulted in them saying the same thing as you...that the drive needs to be AC powered separately. The player plays fine from flash media, so I may continue to dump whatever file I want to watch onto a flash drive for now.
post #100 of 111 Old 04-07-2013, 06:28 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADU View Post

You might also try using it on a different type of surface. A flat smooth surface that the rubber feet will "stick" to is better than a more roughly textured surface (like particle-board or bare wood, for example) where the player can move and vibrate more freely.

As mentioned earlier though, the S185 is pretty lightly built and mostly made of plastic, so it will tend to vibrate more easily (and noisily) than heavier, more sturdily built metal players. Excellent picture quality though on the unit.
I bought mine recently (3-11-13) off of EBAY for around 40.00 Delivered!
I am much more of an Audiophile then a video nut, and I only have a 73 inch Mitsubishi DLP, not the highest resolution monitor. But still, Pic quality seems decent, and CD Audio performance is outstanding.

It works just fine for everyday movie watching with friends and family. Blu Ray Discs look great, and CD Audio Quality is exceptional.
If I were a hard code videophile, I might pass on this unit.
But, for the average guy, who just wants to watch Blu Ray and DVD's with their family, Or, for the audiophile who wants a killer sounding player to play CD's on, I think it is an incredible bargain.
I have several high end stereo speakers that allow me to quickly hear differences between CD players, and DAC's.
This little Sony is warm, rich, and quite 3 dimensional, when playing regular CD's.
In fact, it is so good at it, it actually beats several older, stand alone, high end DAC's that I own, including the internal DAC's in a top of the line Yamaha 7.1 receiver.

I paid 40.00 for it "seller refurbished" off EBAY, so WTF do people expect, for so low a price ?

If anyone who knows of a BETTER overall unit for 40 dollars delivered, I am all ears:)
post #101 of 111 Old 06-19-2013, 11:17 AM

Liked: 11
Hope it's okay to post this info. Factory refurbished models of this player are available TODAY ONLY (June 19) for $39.99 shipped from 1saleaday.com.

"This is my ancestor, Philo Farnsworth, inventor of television ... and, as a bonus, childhood obesity."--Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth on the Futurama episode "All the Presidents' Heads."

post #102 of 111 Old 06-19-2013, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Does the 185 have the older sony netflix interface as shown on the left or the newer one as shown on the right? Thanks
post #103 of 111 Old 06-22-2013, 11:57 AM
ADU
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 128

^ Never got a chance to try the NF or other online features on this unit, so I can't answer your query mdavej.

Maybe someone else knows?

ADU
post #104 of 111 Old 06-22-2013, 01:40 PM
ADU
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ka7niq View Post

I bought mine recently (3-11-13) off of EBAY for around 40.00 Delivered!
I am much more of an Audiophile then a video nut, and I only have a 73 inch Mitsubishi DLP, not the highest resolution monitor. But still, Pic quality seems decent, and CD Audio performance is outstanding.

It works just fine for everyday movie watching with friends and family. Blu Ray Discs look great, and CD Audio Quality is exceptional.
If I were a hard code videophile, I might pass on this unit.
But, for the average guy, who just wants to watch Blu Ray and DVD's with their family, Or, for the audiophile who wants a killer sounding player to play CD's on, I think it is an incredible bargain.
I have several high end stereo speakers that allow me to quickly hear differences between CD players, and DAC's.
This little Sony is warm, rich, and quite 3 dimensional, when playing regular CD's.
In fact, it is so good at it, it actually beats several older, stand alone, high end DAC's that I own, including the internal DAC's in a top of the line Yamaha 7.1 receiver.

I paid 40.00 for it "seller refurbished" off EBAY, so WTF do people expect, for so low a price ?

If anyone who knows of a BETTER overall unit for 40 dollars delivered, I am all ears:)

Thanks for your comments above Ka7niq. It's always good to get multiple opinions/viewpoints on something like this. And I'm glad to hear that you're getting such good performance from the S185.

If my previous comments came across as overly negative, then let me reiterate a few of the positives on this unit as I saw them...

Quote:

PROS:

• Small footprint.
  • Generally fast load times.
  • Good detail/resolution. Player passed both DVD and HD still resolution tests without issue.
  • No fan!

Quote:

...Excellent picture quality though on the unit.

Quote:

If so, then that could mean that the YCbCr HDMI modes on the S185, S380 and S390 are working correctly (and potentially even "bit-perfect"), which needless to say would be a very good thing for such low cost players.

Another "pro" on this model is the RCA audio outputs, which have been dropped from most 2013 players.

My biggest gripe with the S185 was the green push/clipping in the RGB HDMI mode (which is a fairly common issue on low-cost players). But I suspect that was probably fixed in the 8-28-12 M09.R.0054 firmware update. (My S390 now has essentially flawless color in the RGB HDMI mode after a similar update.)

Other minor gripes included the occasionally bad vibration noise, which is undoubtedly related to the lightweight/plastic construction. (2013 Sony players now have metal cases again.) And the occasional lockups when scanning discs in fast-forward or reverse.

By "lockup", I mean that the player would get stuck in fast-forward or fast-reverse mode and couldn't be stopped. I still get these same kinds of "lockups" from time to time on my S390 (even with the AUTO DISPLAY setting turned OFF). And the only solution is to hold down the power button on the player until the unit goes completely off. I sometimes get noticeable vibration noise when playing BD or DVD discs on the S390 as well.

I also wish that the S185 and S390 had a little better virtual surround sound processing for its stereo RCA audio outputs. I mainly listen on headphones via the RCA jacks, and Sony's virtual surround is not quite as flexible or dimensional as some other V-surround systems I've tried. The Sony players are pretty good with "front-to-back" virtual FX, but not as good with "side-to-side" virtual FX in the rear/surround channels. And sometimes I also have to switch the player's Downmix setting from Surround back to Stereo to deal with "imaging" issues on certain DTS-MA Blu-ray audio tracks. (Snow White & the Huntsman, and On Her Majesty's Secret Service are two Blu-ray discs where I found this necessary.)

If you're using a 5.1+ receiver though, then the player's virtual surround capabilities are probably a non-issue. And the new 2013 Sony players don't even include stereo RCA jacks anymore. So for most other listeners, the players' virtual surround capabilities would be irrelevant.

Aside from those minor issues, I've been very satisfied with my Sony player, and generally very happy with it's AV performance. Lately, I've been experimenting with 1080p H.264 MP4 video playback from a thumb-drive on my S390, and I'm very pleased with results. The player can even handle progressive 1080p files encoded at 60 frames/sec, which exceeds the official Blu-ray spec.

If I'm overly critical btw, it's because I expect alot from Sony video products (even the low-end ones), because I've had pretty good experiences with them in the past.

ADU
post #105 of 111 Old 07-14-2013, 09:57 AM

Sony is aggressively pushing Firmware upgrades for all of its older Blu-Ray machine for one main reason. To add CINAVIA protection.
post #106 of 111 Old 07-14-2013, 05:44 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by weberman View Post

Sony is aggressively pushing Firmware upgrades for all of its older Blu-Ray machine for one main reason. To add CINAVIA protection.

That is simply not true. The Sx80 series was apparently developed to include cinavia and cinavia was activated via a firmware update. The Sx90 series came with cinavia out of the box. As far as I can tell, nothing earlier than the Sx80 series knows anything about cinavia even with the latest firmware for each of these models.
And Sony has been good about noting when a firmware includes cinavia on their website.

A long-time audio/video addict!
post #107 of 111 Old 08-05-2013, 08:38 PM

I have 2 Sony devices using the same remote code. Can I change one of the remote's code (and device) so both units don't respond to the same remote?

I know some manufacturers allow you to change a device's signal code for avoiding such problems.eek.gif
post #108 of 111 Old 08-05-2013, 09:44 PM
ADU
AVS Special Member

Don't see anything about it in the manual...

http://www.docs.sony.com/release/BDPS185_BX18.pdf

Maybe tech support can help.

ADU
post #109 of 111 Old 08-05-2013, 09:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary-in-dc View Post

I have 2 Sony devices using the same remote code. Can I change one of the remote's code (and device) so both units don't respond to the same remote?

I know some manufacturers allow you to change a device's signal code for avoiding such problems.eek.gif
Panny yes, Sony no. Only their mega changer is addressable. Sorry.

You could cover the IR window of one player and control it exclusively by Bravia Sync or the smart phone app. Or you could get an RF remote or addressable IR distribution system (both more expensive than a different brand player).

Is there a particular reason you need 2 BD players in the same location?
post #110 of 111 Old 11-03-2013, 10:52 AM

Hi all, can you see my thread on this player here?

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1497829/2-sony-bdp-s185-bdp-bx18-blu-ray-players-have-been-fried-by-my-hard-drive

Thank you, 

Ben

post #111 of 111 Old 02-11-2014, 12:29 PM

Does anybody have trouble with the RSS feeds not updating? NBC nightly news updates every day on my RSS feed but CNN hasn't changed since I bought it.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Sony , Sony Bdp S185 Blu Ray Disc Player , Blu Ray Players , Sony Blu Ray Disc Player Bdp S185 , Sony Blu Ray Disc Dvd Player Bdp Bx18 With Mini Tool Box
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page