AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by emont View Post

Hi Joe,

First off; Congratulations on your wedding. Secondly; I wanted to thank you for the review of the 790 I am looking forward to picking up this player at the end of the month. I don't have a 4K display at the moment, but I am sure I will notice the difference in picture with my panny plasma. I am currently using a ps3, and a panny 110 as my bluray palyers.

Cheers,

Eric

No problem. Congrats on the 790. And thanks.

Search or copy and paste-> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com <-to check out my latest Reviews.

Check out these new Lighted Cup Holders:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1402680301175
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 3505 Old 04-17-2012, 02:25 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk2Me View Post

I have never been to the sun, but I know it is too hot to live there. I wish you many happy hours of watching 1080p upconverted to what you think is 4k.

Thanks. We will tonight with MI4....

Search or copy and paste-> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com <-to check out my latest Reviews.

post #273 of 3505 Old 04-17-2012, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:

I wish true 4K was going to happen, but sadly you are all mistaken, and taken in by the marketing hype by the hardware suits, and not the studio executives(content). They are not going to release native 4K content to the general public.

You don't need 4k source material to take advantage of 4k resolution. Just like DVDs benefit from upscaling so does HD sources. Not to mention the decrease in pixel size makes convergence (and other issues) less troublesome.
post #274 of 3505 Old 04-17-2012, 02:30 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone who thinks that this player offers superior PQ is just jackin' it in San Diego.
post #275 of 3505 Old 04-17-2012, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain- View Post

WRT items:
1) I was quite dismayed of S780 styling but S790 is much improved. Still, neither match the simple, minimalist styling of S770 which I quite like. That said, S790 is significantly lighter in weight than S770. Of S770 and S790, which would have better build quality and how would that affect SQ, PQ and overall reliability?

So long as this thing lasts a couple of years I'll be happy. Sadly this stuff is all disposable. It will be out of date in 12 months for sure.
post #276 of 3505 Old 04-17-2012, 03:34 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoker25 View Post

Anyone who thinks that this player offers superior PQ is just jackin' it in San Diego.

Now this is the post of the day!

post #277 of 3505 Old 04-17-2012, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Remember all the folk that said we didn't need 1080p when it was just released, ha!

Those very same folk are lovin their 1080p today and would never go back to 720p.

Oh dear this industry is crazy, why on earth would anyone want lesser quality beats me?
Rey L likes this.
post #278 of 3505 Old 04-17-2012, 04:14 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapalloav View Post

remember all the folk that said we didn't need 1080p when it was just released, ha!

Those very same folk are lovin their 1080p today and would never go back to 720p.

Oh dear this industry is crazy, why on earth would anyone want lesser quality beats me?

+1
post #279 of 3505 Old 04-17-2012, 05:00 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoker25 View Post

LOL, but feel kind of sorry for Jason.
post #280 of 3505 Old 04-17-2012, 05:40 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapalloAV View Post

Remember all the folk that said we didn't need 1080p when it was just released, ha!

Great point. 4K all the way!!!

post #281 of 3505 Old 04-17-2012, 10:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapalloAV View Post

Beats me too. Why would anyone listen to mp3, or stream 720p instead of buying a blu-ray player? Or buy a $200 receiver? Most don't need 1080p. Don't you get it? We are in the minority. And those same folk "lovin" their 1080p? Yes, those of us here, and retired, widowed, and swinger,Uncle Milt, with the Hollywood tan, in Florida.
post #282 of 3505 Old 04-17-2012, 11:45 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
agreed with talk. you cats on this forum are WAAAAY in the minority...

how many average people have a $20K projector?? the majority of you cats on here have tons of disposable cash for sure, so of course it makes sense for you to feel 4K is whats needed out there.

I am definitely not a big dog as many of you are and will stay on the porch and watch you guys handle the business. its cool, though, for me, a middle class american, reading how cool it is to have a 12ft screen in ones room and even for ones wife to notice 4K! well sure if her man is a purist and has the money to have a 4K setup then im sure your wife will eventually get it.

I am in the movie industry (work with the phantom camera, F900, f35, Arri, Panavision...) and i am a steadicam operator. my mom can NOTICE when a sequence is shot on Steadi vs. a dolly or jib, etc. i tell her to "look at the horizon". she knows what to look for in a frame to judge if its a steadicam. how many of you cats can differentiate between steadi and a dolly?

"whats your point marc???". ok ok ok.. my point is you guys know what higher resolution is because you know what to look for. you spend your time with the best of the best in toys so its natural for you to see slight differences in PQ from one player to the next.. from one display to the next... the average person (me) does not have access to the best toys money can by so those subtle differences get lost.

i love and enjoy this site and reading these discussions. keeps me balanced.

and sure the 790 may be a big difference from the 590, but what of the 780???
post #283 of 3505 Old 04-18-2012, 12:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by marctronixx View Post

I am in the movie industry (work with the phantom camera, F900, f35, Arri, Panavision...) and i am a steadicam operator. my mom can NOTICE when a sequence is shot on Steadi vs. a dolly or jib, etc. i tell her to "look at the horizon". she knows what to look for in a frame to judge if its a steadicam. how many of you cats can differentiate between steadi and a dolly?

?

I wouldn't know the difference even after being a projectionist for over 35+ years, but would you rather look at images without the steadicam now you know the difference and "see it"?
post #284 of 3505 Old 04-18-2012, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 12
I don't have a 4k display but some of us still wants that good quality BD player for an affordable price. If only this player was available last year, I would have bought this instead of the Oppo 93. Oppo 93 is great but for the price, I would have gone with this BD player.
post #285 of 3505 Old 04-18-2012, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marctronixx View Post

agreed with talk. you cats on this forum are WAAAAY in the minority...

how many average people have a $20K projector??

The high cost of technology has little to do with its adoption. Rather it is simply a premium one pays to be first. My first projector's list price was 17k and nowadays you can get better performance for well under 1k. A while back if you wanted fast internet access you had to pay over 1k a month for a dedicated T1 line. Nowadays for $50 you have 20 times the performance. Anyone remember the lunch box cell phones?

post #286 of 3505 Old 04-18-2012, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by edtorious View Post

I don't have a 4k display but some of us still wants that good quality BD player for an affordable price. If only this player was available last year, I would have bought this instead of the Oppo 93. Oppo 93 is great but for the price, I would have gone with this BD player.

I have the Oppo 93 as well and am think of switching to the S790.

Can I ask why you would have gone with this BD player instead?
post #287 of 3505 Old 04-18-2012, 07:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Then sell your Oppo 93. I guaranty, if it is in good shape, you will get almost (if not the same) price as you first paid for it. Oppo has by far the highest re-sale value of any home electronics piece. I had a Oppo 83 for 2 years and sold for a $25 loss.
post #288 of 3505 Old 04-18-2012, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post

Price difference and of course S790 seems a good quality BD player.
post #289 of 3505 Old 04-18-2012, 07:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Price difference and of course S790 seems a good quality BD player.

edtorious, you are from San Diego. Did you not read this?

"Anyone who thinks that this player offers superior PQ is just jackin' it in San Diego."

j/k !
post #290 of 3505 Old 04-18-2012, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:

The Sony 1000 is $25K. Ok, wait 5 years and buy one for $1K. Hopefully by then, there will be at least 3 movies to watch in 4K. Better yet, buy a 4K recorder, make some videos so joerod will have something to watch in 4K.

If you can wait until 2020 or so, you might be able to buy one of these . . . but perhaps only if you live in Japan...?!

From the NHK Annual Report 2010 (link)...
Quote:

5.2.2 Optical storage technology

We are advancing with our research on thin optical disks and holographic recording technology for future program archives and Super Hi-Vision (SHV) recording equipment.

■Thin optical disks

Thin optical disks with thickness of 0.1 mm are promising candidates for program archives and
home SHV recording equipment because they can rotate at higher speeds, thereby giving them higher data transfer-rates. In FY2010, we developed a high-capacity drive system using thin optical disk drives. In parallel with this development, we proceeded with the development of near-field optical recording technology for increasing the recording density of thin optical disks.

Figure 1. Prototype compact thin optical disk drive

[So we might need to replace those optical media players 'just one more time'...?! ]

[Home Office system schematic]
"My AV systems were created by man. They evolved. They rebelled. There are many speakers. And they have . . . A PLAN."

post #291 of 3505 Old 04-18-2012, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hopefully by then, there will be at least 3 movies to watch in 4K.

Heck today you can view everything in 4k. Sure upscaled isn't as good as native but it's certainly better. Not to mention you can't spot that oh so awful pixel grid nearly as easily. The iPad requires 2048x1536 to achieve retina resolution and to suggest displays x times larger can't benefit from increased resolution is beyond silly. To the point it's not worth going on about... bye.
post #292 of 3505 Old 04-18-2012, 09:23 AM

Liked: 17
I've had this player for almost a week now and have noticed some weird glitches that got me thinking whether I got a lemon.

1) After I finished watching Avatar Extended Cut which played flawlessly. I inserted Scream and got an error message: Unknown Disc. So, I tried inserting Scream 2 and Scream 3 and got the same error message. Went back to the Avatar disc I just watched and also got the same error, at that point I thought the player just went bad. However, I turned it off and reboot it and evertyhing played fine. This was Saturday night, and have not seen this issue happen again (Yet).

2) Monday, I was watching Cowboys and Aliens (theatrical cut) and it froze for a couple of seconds on a few scenes before resuming. I've watched the disc a couple of times before on my old S780 without any issues, although I watched the extended cut if that matters?

3) Last night I was watching Take Shelter. It played fine all the way through, but when I pressed the pop up menu, it would not come up. I turn off the player, reboot and the pop up menu worked fine after.

Has anyone experienced anything wrong with this player so far?
post #293 of 3505 Old 04-18-2012, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortiz View Post

I've had this player for almost a week now and have noticed some weird glitches that got me thinking whether I got a lemon.

1) After I finished watching Avatar Extended Cut which played flawlessly. I inserted Scream and got an error message: Unknown Disc. So, I tried inserting Scream 2 and Scream 3 and got the same error message. Went back to the Avatar disc I just watched and also got the same error, at that point I thought the player just went bad. However, I turned it off and reboot it and evertyhing played fine. This was Saturday night, and have not seen this issue happen again (Yet).

2) Monday, I was watching Cowboys and Aliens (theatrical cut) and it froze for a couple of seconds on a few scenes before resuming. I've watched the disc a couple of times before on my old S780 without any issues, although I watched the extended cut if that matters?

3) Last night I was watching Take Shelter. It played fine all the way through, but when I pressed the pop up menu, it would not come up. I turn off the player, reboot and the pop up menu worked fine after.

Yea, a few posts ago before all the dialog on the 4K stuff I posted a few issues I've had.

First was with Hulu + completely locking up and causing a reboot.

Next came a reboot whilst watching a BD. Then came several issues with the picture. One was with the colors all inverted .. and another was a flickering rolling picture. Rebooting fixed the issue.

Many of these could be just firmware/software issues that can be addressed, although the problem with Sony is, there's no good way to report bugs. Their own forums are pretty terrible.

Anyway, I sent mine back, and going to get a replacement, on the off chance it was hardware.
post #294 of 3505 Old 04-18-2012, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post

If you're after a BD/DVD only player and require the best PQ/AQ (analog), and you don't mind paying a bit extra, then the Oppo is right up there.

However, if you want a solid "all rounder" that is BD/DVD and Streaming, then the S790 bumps the Oppo considerably. The Oppo streaming capabilities are poor compared to 2012 players. What it does support, it doesn't support very well, and then it doesn't support many other services (e.g HULU and Amazon VOD). I would even choose the S390 over the Oppo, as streaming is more important than BD/DVD to me.
post #295 of 3505 Old 04-18-2012, 10:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post

If you're after a BD/DVD only player and require the best PQ/AQ (analog), and you don't mind paying a bit extra, then the Oppo is right up there.

However, if you want a solid "all rounder" that is BD/DVD and Streaming, then the S790 bumps the Oppo considerably. The Oppo streaming capabilities are poor compared to 2012 players. What it does support, it doesn't support very well, and then it doesn't support many other services (e.g HULU and Amazon VOD). I would even choose the S390 over the Oppo, as streaming is more important than BD/DVD to me.

I wil keep my Oppo 93. I also have a Sony S590. I have compared the streaming quality of both, and the Sony is not "better", just offers more apps. But then, my new Sharp 60" has just as many apps as the Sony.
post #296 of 3505 Old 04-18-2012, 10:33 AM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortiz View Post

I had this kind of problem with the S780 even with the current firmware update. I retired the S780 and went Panasonic Blu Ray players, no problems with BD or DVD playback.
post #297 of 3505 Old 04-18-2012, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I wil keep my Oppo 93. I also have a Sony S590. I have compared the streaming quality of both, and the Sony is not "better", just offers more apps. But then, my new Sharp 60" has just as many apps as the Sony.

Not better? Odd. The oppo 93 is restricted by 720p only netflix streams. No dolby digital Plus.
post #298 of 3505 Old 04-18-2012, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

I've had only 1 disc have trouble with the S780 so far and that was O' Brother, Where Art Thou? which refused to load. Asked around about the title on other forums without getting any feedback. It plays on my Panasonic 310 and 320 along with the PS3. I emailed Sony about it and got the "insure you have the latest firmware", "power cycle, etc.".
I've had no issue with Cowboys & Aliens or Take Shelter.
post #299 of 3505 Old 04-18-2012, 12:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpmbc View Post

I still can't figure out why he is so active in this thread. Talk2Me is clearly the front runner in the anti 4K campaign. Further, his posting suggests he's content with his Oppo or at least has no interest in the S790. Bored I guess.

Oh contraire. I love 4K. It is just so many are living in the clouds if they think 4K is some how going to be in every home like indoor plumbing (unless you live in the deep south). And as I said I have a S590. Really, I am all for the S790. It is a remarkable player, especially for it price. But, I do not like to read misleading information. And yes, I have too much time on my hands.
post #300 of 3505 Old 04-18-2012, 02:40 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpmbc View Post

I still can't figure out why he is so active in this thread. Talk2Me is clearly the front runner in the anti 4K campaign. Further, his posting suggests he's content with his Oppo or at least has no interest in the S790. Bored I guess.

I love how he likes to take shots at me. We all had a smile on our faces from ear to ear and I couldn't help but laugh to myself when I thought we don't need this equipment to achieve this amazing eye candy. It would look just as good on a 60" 1080p TV...

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Sony , Sony Bdps790 3d Blu Ray Player , Blu Ray Players , Sony Blu Ray Disc Player Bdp S790 , Sony Open Box Bdp S790 3d Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page