post #3511 of 3524 Old 07-15-2014, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatiPlaneteer View Post
I'm about to buy a Samsung HU9000 and I own a Sony S790 and PS4. How does the Sony S790 work on it? Or should I get a different player?
Welcome to AVS for now the PS4 does not do 3D so I would keep both of them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3512 of 3524 Old 07-15-2014, 10:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
I'm about to buy a Samsung HU9000 and I own a Sony S790 and PS4. How does the Sony S790 work on it? Or should I get a different player?
Perhaps you already sold on the HU9000 curved screen but IMHO its a gimmick. CNET thinks the same - http://www.cnet.com/products/samsung-un65hu9000/

IMO, home theater is about creating a Big Screen Movie Theater picture, sound, environment and experience - no movie theater has a curved screen. FWIW.
AVfile likes this.

Click For My Website - www.E55AMG.com

post #3513 of 3524 Old 07-15-2014, 11:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 39
@scorpion901 - My comments were intended to be specific to the needs of the S790. The same details are true if you are playing from a ROM disc, a USB drive or streaming.

Serviio, in theory, is capable of transcoding just about anything to work. In theory, anyway.
Make sure you have Serviio set to Sony BDP-Sx90 (2012) profile. I don't know if the latest version does it, but when I first started using Serviio it would start with an older profile that didn't work as well.

As far as freezes, yeah that happens on occasion in general. This guide (and unplugging) should minimize that.
It could also be a network/wifi issue as well.

You got a 35gb file to work? That sounds like a BD remux. I've never gotten one play smoothly (because the bitrate can peak so high). That's pretty impressive.

In mkvmerge's GUI:
Pull down the 'Muxing' menu and select 'Add Command Line Options'.

From the drop down Available Options, select '--engage no_cue_duration', click 'Add', then select '--engage no_cue_relative_position' and again click 'Add' again.

I would check the box 'Save as default for new jobs' so you never have to do it again, and click 'Ok'.

The cue stuff are new features added within the last year or so to mkvmerge and they are enabled by default. It's supposed to improve scanning through files better, but it make it worse on these devices.

We are actually disabling them which makes the outputted files more like older versions of mkvtoolnix.

--
(this space for rent)
post #3514 of 3524 Old 07-15-2014, 11:21 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorM View Post
@scorpion901 - My comments were intended to be specific to the needs of the S790. The same details are true if you are playing from a ROM disc, a USB drive or streaming.

Serviio, in theory, is capable of transcoding just about anything to work. In theory, anyway.
Make sure you have Serviio set to Sony BDP-Sx90 (2012) profile. I don't know if the latest version does it, but when I first started using Serviio it would start with an older profile that didn't work as well.

As far as freezes, yeah that happens on occasion in general. This guide (and unplugging) should minimize that.

You got a 35gb file to work? That sounds like a BD remux. I've never gotten one play smoothly (because the bitrate can peak so high). That's pretty impressive.

In mkvmerge's GUI:

From the drop down Available Options, select '--engage no_cue_duration', click 'Add', then select '--engage no_cue_relative_position' and again click 'Add' again.

I would check the box 'Save as default for new jobs' so you never have to do it again, and click 'Ok'.

The cue stuff are new features added within the last year or so to mkvmerge and they are enabled by default. It's supposed to improve scanning through files better, but it make it worse on these devices.

We are actually disabling them which makes the outputted files more like older versions of mkvtoolnix.
Thank you very much DoctorM for your very informative response! I have been struggling for some time on trying to get my streamed mkv files to play on the BDP-S790.

I use the BDP-S790 to stream my video files to, and use my Onkyo NR818 to stream flac files to, and stream my photos directly to my Sharp HDTV. I am in the process of remuxing all my mkv video files and will use your guidelines in mkvmerge.

Thank you for the detailed explanation of how to implement the remuxing arguments in mkvmerge otherwise I would have never known how to do it.

Yes, the 35 gig file was a blu-ray remux for a concert video with two audio streams. It was on a usb memory stick, not streamed, but it played with no stuttering that really surprised me. That was partially why I was in such a quandary about remuxing guidelines for my video files.

I have installed serviio on my pc and like it so much that I bought the pro version to help support the development team. It now also serves flac audio files which was a great need for me. I presently do not use the transcoding option but prefer to use the original file format. Maybe I should experiment with the transcoding option since my pc has an I7 4770 processor with plenty of ram (I use a 4 gig temp ramdisk).

Thanks again for all the help, I really appreciate it, it should improve my video streaming.

Home Theater Setup
Polk RTi10 +CSi5+FXi5+RTi6
SVS PB2000 Subwoofer
Sharp LC-70SQ15U HDTV
Onkyo TX-NR818 AVR
Sony BDP-S790 Blu-Ray & Toshiba HD-XA2 HD Player

Last edited by scorpion901; 07-15-2014 at 07:55 PM. Reason: add info
post #3515 of 3524 Old 07-15-2014, 01:30 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by E55 KEV View Post
Perhaps you already sold on the HU9000 curved screen but IMHO its a gimmick. CNET thinks the same - http://www.cnet.com/products/samsung-un65hu9000/

IMO, home theater is about creating a Big Screen Movie Theater picture, sound, environment and experience - no movie theater has a curved screen. FWIW.
Thank you, I love the S790. It worked great for my F7100; however, I am hoping it works great on the 2014 4ks.

I was looking at the HU8550 and the Sony X850b as well. I figure I can try out the HU9000 and if I don't like it, I will revert back to the flat 4k.
post #3516 of 3524 Old 07-15-2014, 02:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thank you, I love the S790. It worked great for my F7100; however, I am hoping it works great on the 2014 4ks.

I was looking at the HU8550 and the Sony X850b as well. I figure I can try out the HU9000 and if I don't like it, I will revert back to the flat 4k.
I have a S580 and wanted the S790 until Sony removed CinemaNow streaming app.

post #3517 of 3524 Old 07-20-2014, 12:19 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Not now, but in the past there were the Cinerama and Todd AO systems, which both had curved screens.
post #3518 of 3524 Old 07-20-2014, 06:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdray View Post
Not now, but in the past there were the Cinerama and Todd AO systems, which both had curved screens.

Exactly. I have How The West Was Won on Blu-ray with curved "SmileBox" viewing. That plus the ones you mention were all fads that did not last and I doubt the curved LCD's will be around.

post #3519 of 3524 Old 07-22-2014, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
I have a S580 and wanted the S790 until Sony removed CinemaNow streaming app.
They also removed all 3D apps. And have added...nothing! Not even Netflix 3D. Personally, will never purchase another Sony product ever.

post #3520 of 3524 Old 07-22-2014, 10:47 PM
Advanced Member

I mostly bought the Sony for some of the extra output connections and that Panasonic's remote was garbage.
Not sure I'd buy a Sony BD player again either though. It's pretty flaky considering the technology is mature by now.

They could seriously buy a lot of good will with a few extra apps and one more firmware update.

--
(this space for rent)
post #3521 of 3524 Old 07-26-2014, 03:09 PM

Quote:

In mkvmerge's GUI:

DoctorM,

Do you have any guideline recommendations for bitrate limitations on video or audio streams in order to successfully stream and play on the S790?

This information seems hard to find and isn't documented in the S790 user manual. If you have any recommendations, I would truly appreciate it.

Do you think the Oppo blu-ray players are better at handling and decoding streamed mkv video files? I would think about buying one if they did.

Thanks.

Home Theater Setup
SVS PB2000 Subwoofer
Sharp LC-70SQ15U HDTV
Onkyo TX-NR818 AVR
post #3522 of 3524 Old 07-26-2014, 04:15 PM
Advanced Member

I've never owned an Oppo, but not because I haven't wanted one. I'm sure others here can give you better details on that. I would say, definitely better than Sony though.

As far as stream limitations, based on guessing, MeGUI profiles and Googling:
20-25Mbps bitrate is the DLNA "conformance" value (meaning shoot for this as your average bitrate).
Sony BD and PS3 units should be able to handle PEAKS of up to 30+mbps, but if it is sustained you may get stuttering.

Of course if your network is slower than that, then that is your limit.

--
(this space for rent)
post #3523 of 3524 Old 07-26-2014, 04:30 PM

Quote:

In mkvmerge's GUI:

Quote:
I've never owned an Oppo, but not because I haven't wanted one. I'm sure others here can give you better details on that. I would say, definitely better than Sony though.

As far as stream limitations, based on guessing, MeGUI profiles and Googling:
20-25Mbps bitrate is the DLNA "conformance" value (meaning shoot for this as your average bitrate).
Sony BD and PS3 units should be able to handle PEAKS of up to 30+mbps, but if it is sustained you may get stuttering.

Of course if your network is slower than that, then that is your limit.
Thank you DoctorM for the fast and informative response. That is valuable information that I will keep in mind when transcoding/creating my files.

I've captured your various responses in a document for my reference. Thanks again.

Home Theater Setup
SVS PB2000 Subwoofer
Sharp LC-70SQ15U HDTV
Onkyo TX-NR818 AVR

Last edited by scorpion901; 07-26-2014 at 04:34 PM.
post #3524 of 3524 Old 07-26-2014, 09:08 PM
Advanced Member

If you using an encoder like MeGUI, using a PS3 profile will probably work out just fine.

Although to be fair, except BD remuxes, I've found little that the BDPS790 couldn't play.

--
(this space for rent)
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Sony , Sony Bdps790 3d Blu Ray Player , Blu Ray Players , Sony Blu Ray Disc Player Bdp S790 , Sony Open Box Bdp S790 3d Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page