Official 2012 Sony BDP-S790 Thread - Page 130 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 56Likes

post #3871 of 3899 Old 03-13-2016, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked: 405
First the Youttube issue is causing problems with all Sony Blu ray players and tv's and Sony is aware of it and they said a fix will be on the way. That being said.......Since my S790 simply don't play dvd's or cd's a friend of mine gave me a solution. He said as long as everything else work's fine why not just go and purchase a Sony dvd player and use that for cd's and dvd's and keep the 790 for Blu's only. It has me thinking because I have only a few dvd's which are mainly Elvis Presley concerts, The Blade Trilogy and Friday The 13th's 1-4 and those will eventually be replaced by Blu ray. My Elvis dvd's will be the only dvd's in my collection so that's what I may do and I rarely if ever play cd's on any of my Blu ray players that I have owned. I don't want to part with my 790 because when it come's to Blu ray's it play's them flawlessly. So this coming Friday I just might pick up a dvd player and use that for dvd's only. I can pick up a Sony dvd player for $30 so that's what I am going to do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3872 of 3899 Old 03-13-2016, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1971 View Post
I can pick up a Sony dvd player for $30 so that's what I am going to do.
That is the cheapest way to solve your problem.

The REAL solution is one of your two lasers is dead.

You have a blue laser for Blu-Ray and I forget what the
other color laser is for DVD and CD. But that is the laser
that is bad. They are not expensive, if you do the repair
yourself, but it is expensive if a pro does it for you.

$30 for a DVD player is the least expensive way out
steve1971 likes this.
post #3873 of 3899 Old 03-13-2016, 12:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1982 Post(s)
Liked: 900
IMO, $30 for a BD player is the best solution. At least you get a player that handles all discs and has the latest streaming apps. The 790 is getting a bit long in the tooth. Its blue laser will go next, if not one of the drive belts or hub.
steve1971 likes this.
post #3874 of 3899 Old 03-14-2016, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
IMO, $30 for a BD player is the best solution. At least you get a player that handles all discs and has the latest streaming apps. The 790 is getting a bit long in the tooth. Its blue laser will go next, if not one of the drive belts or hub.

That's what my wife was saying last night as well. So it look's like I might go back to my trusty little S5500 which for some reason my wife like's better. My 5500 played everything I threw at it and is a solid little player so I might take it out of the box and put it back in my HT rack this weekend and give the 790 to a friend of mine.
post #3875 of 3899 Old 03-22-2016, 11:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I believe that my 790 still blows all the other players out the water. Only the Oppo Brand and Panasonic BDT210 and 120 players can contend. I am willing to change any component in my theater with the exception of this player. lol
steve1971 likes this.

There are never failures, only challenges.
post #3876 of 3899 Old 03-24-2016, 05:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Remote control issues

A followup to my earlier post regarding remote control problems. Basically, my S790 spontaneously stops responding to the remote. It does this with all kinds of content (BD, DVD, streaming), and at random times. The remote itself is fine.

It looks like the issue only occurs when a USB drive is inserted into the player. I've tried it with two USB drives from different manufacturers with the same results. I have a background in USB, and have seen lots of devices get confused by weird descriptors/partitions/etc. but not like this, and not with drives like this (simple, generic consumer products).

The good news is that my S790 is back to being itself, which is great -- it's easily the best unit I've ever owned. Hope this info helps others who have had their player stop responding to the remote.

I have a Sony-branded USB drive somewhere, and will be trying with that also. If the problem is the result of the USB drive's config, I would expect that Sony drives will operate fine.
post #3877 of 3899 Old 03-26-2016, 10:21 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
BDP-S790 remote not working again

Hello, everyone here's my experience with the BDP-S790 remote. I'm having problems with the remote control for the second time. The remote that came with the player stopped responding and I bought a new one. The second, and also original remote, solved the issue and assured me that the problem was not with the player itself. Now, a year and 4 months later the second remote has exactly the same problem. Curiously when I play the enter button the numbers 888 appear on the TV screen as it did with the first remote and it simply doesn't work anymore. It might work occasionally just to stop working soon afterwards. For now I've solved the problem by using an app on my android phone that works via the wi-fi network. All functions work properly when I use the phone. There's certainly an issue with the remotes and not with the player itself. Since I like the player a lot, I will probably end up by buying another remote which will make the player a bit too much expensive. I'm not sure, yet, as I'm still left with the feeling that the new remote, too, will eventually stop working. Besides that the player still holds great value but the remote is of a nuisance.
post #3878 of 3899 Old 04-11-2016, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Well the other night while watching a movie on my S5500 I started hearing a loud humming noise so I stopped the player and switched to another Blu ray and same thing. Yesterday while watching a movie same thing yet again so I got my Blu ray playing only S790 out of moth ball's so to speak and hooked it up. Flawless, no issues. I'm done! Staying with my S790 no matter if it plays Blu ray's only or not. I'll pick up a Sony DVD player this weekend and use that for DVD's only and use my S790 for Blu's and streaming. I have a small small amount of DVD's anyway so no big deal. I will say this and that's that they dont make Blu ray/DVD players like the S790 anymore. Now days, besides Oppo, Blu ray players look cheap and feel cheap and a person is lucky if they last more then a month. My S790 has been checked out and is good to go save for it not playing DVD's and if I want that fixed a friend of mine said he will do it at no charge but buying a Sony DVD player will be good enough. So my S790 is back in my HT rig and that's where it's gonna stay until I can save up enough and pick up an Oppo.
pacman9270 likes this.
post #3879 of 3899 Old 04-11-2016, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 114
My 770 makes the buzzing on some blu-rays. My 790 is more of a high pitched whine.
slimm and pacman9270 like this.

- AVStefan
If you like someone's post, just use the Like button to give thanks.
post #3880 of 3899 Old 04-12-2016, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVfile View Post
My 770 makes the buzzing on some blu-rays. My 790 is more of a high pitched whine.
Not mine. My S790 is as quiet as ever. In fact it's the first Blu ray player I've owned, from Sony anyway, that don't make any noise except for when I eject the disc I'm playing from the unit itself! I'm very impressed with the 790 and only wish I would have got one when it first came out but money at the time was a priority. My only wish is Sony would update the app's more often and include Iheart Radio but no big deal.
post #3881 of 3899 Old 04-16-2016, 11:07 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have not used my BDP-S790 much over the winter, have given it a rest. I had problems earlier during the winter with the remote failing to contact the player. It seems to work fine now.

But I don't know if the cold and sea-coast humidity have damaged the player, because HD material does not look so sharp as it used to. The edges around forms and details are somewhat pixelated instead of really sharp. There is nothing wrong with the TV itself, and the HDMI contact has not been disturbed but is firmly in place.

What could be wrong? Can it help to clean some parts in the player to get the picture sharp again? I am thinking that maybe dust or surface deposits have collected there, that hinder proper contact. Are there such kind of potential surfaces in the player? Or is it the technology itself that has broken down?

Last edited by Terriers; 04-16-2016 at 11:13 AM.
post #3882 of 3899 Old 04-17-2016, 10:26 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
You say that the "HDMI contact has not been disturbed."
It might be a good idea to "disturb" the HDMI - plug and unplug or at least wiggle the connection. Better would be to clean the contacts. Before you open your 790.
post #3883 of 3899 Old 04-26-2016, 12:09 AM

I tried unplugging and replugging, and cleaning the HDMI contacts with microfiber cloth. However the connetctive plugs are hidden inside the metal shell and are not easy to reach. Anyway I doubt the HDMI contact is the issue.

The problem remains.

It says in the BDP-S790 manual: "If the player is brought directly from a cold
to a warm location, or is placed in a very
damp room, moisture may condense on the
lenses inside the player. Should this occur,
the player may not operate properly."

It is still occasionally around 10 -15 degrees Celsius in the room, so that may be the issue.

If the player doesn't start working correctly later this spring, when the weather is warmer, I will have to open it and try to do some inside cleaning, or deliver it to Sony's technical department for an investigation.
steve1971 likes this.
post #3884 of 3899 Old 04-26-2016, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terriers View Post
I tried unplugging and replugging, and cleaning the HDMI contacts with microfiber cloth. However the connetctive plugs are hidden inside the metal shell and are not easy to reach. Anyway I doubt the HDMI contact is the issue.

The problem remains.

It says in the BDP-S790 manual: "If the player is brought directly from a cold
to a warm location, or is placed in a very
damp room, moisture may condense on the
lenses inside the player. Should this occur,
the player may not operate properly."

It is still occasionally around 10 -15 degrees Celsius in the room, so that may be the issue.

If the player doesn't start working correctly later this spring, when the weather is warmer, I will have to open it and try to do some inside cleaning, or deliver it to Sony's technical department for an investigation.

Question I have is is how the heck do you open up the 790?
post #3885 of 3899 Old 04-26-2016, 07:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Question I have is is how the heck do you open up the 790?
http://www.agoraquest.com/forums/vie...=38028#p212373
steve1971 likes this.
post #3886 of 3899 Old 04-26-2016, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks buddy but here's the thing. I hear people talking about taking it apart to clean the dvd/Blu ray part of it but it looks as though thats all enclosed in the pic's so how do people clean that part? Wouldnt it just be easier to use a dvd/blu ray cleaning disc?
post #3887 of 3899 Old 04-26-2016, 09:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Thanks buddy but here's the thing. I hear people talking about taking it apart to clean the dvd/Blu ray part of it but it looks as though thats all enclosed in the pic's so how do people clean that part? Wouldnt it just be easier to use a dvd/blu ray cleaning disc?
You asked how to open it. I told you. I have no idea why you want to open it. To clean the lens, get a disc. To clean the hub/spindle when it starts slipping, use a long q-tip sort of thing.

If you truly want to open the drive, removing some screws and a little prying would probably do the trick. They're usually held together with metal tabs. But I've never resorted to that. When things get that dire, get a new player.
post #3888 of 3899 Old 04-26-2016, 10:52 AM

Quote:
If you truly want to open the drive, removing some screws and a little prying would probably do the trick. ... But I've never resorted to that. When things get that dire, get a new player.
It took me quite some time to find this particular player model. It has been excellent till the problems started. Does Sony have any new model this good, for similar price, with analog audio jacks?
post #3889 of 3899 Old 04-26-2016, 12:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terriers View Post
It took me quite some time to find this particular player model. It has been excellent till the problems started. Does Sony have any new model this good, for similar price, with analog audio jacks?
Most in this thread think it's the greatest player ever. But I was never very impressed with my 790 compared to today's players. Current players are cheaper, smaller, faster, more efficient and have much better apps while delivering the same A/V quality. I was glad to get rid of mine and free up some space in my rack.

All you have to do to get analog stereo out of a current player (which is all the 790 has), is add a simple optical/coax-to-RCA adapter like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Portta-PETDTAP.../dp/B005DIRI6I

And since you only use analog stereo, it doesn't matter that current Sony's won't send HD codecs over PCM.
post #3890 of 3899 Old 04-26-2016, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
You asked how to open it. I told you. I have no idea why you want to open it. To clean the lens, get a disc. To clean the hub/spindle when it starts slipping, use a long q-tip sort of thing.

If you truly want to open the drive, removing some screws and a little prying would probably do the trick. They're usually held together with metal tabs. But I've never resorted to that. When things get that dire, get a new player.
First all I was doing was asking and second I have no intention's of opening my player because: One I have no need to and Two It would void the Sony warranty.

Quote:
Most in this thread think it's the greatest player ever. But I was never very impressed with my 790 compared to today's players. Current players are cheaper, smaller, faster, more efficient and have much better apps while delivering the same A/V quality. I was glad to get rid of mine and free up some space in my rack.

All you have to do to get analog stereo out of a current player (which is all the 790 has), is add a simple optical/coax-to-RCA adapter like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Portta-PETDTAP.../dp/B005DIRI6I

And since you only use analog stereo, it doesn't matter that current Sony's won't send HD codecs over PCM.

In my opinion when it come's to a Sony Blu ray player it is their best player ever. And what you said by current player's being cheaper and smaller is true, they are but you said it they are cheaper and smaller which for me is the bad thing. Cheaper means quality stink's and by them being smaller may be a good thing or a bad thing depending how you look at it. The current player's may be faster, more efficient and have better app's but to me they are also less reliable and are more prone to burning out and ending up in the trash bin unlike previous players of the past like the S790 and Oppo players. I had two S5500 Sony Blu ray players, all 2015 model's and both quit working after being used for less then 3 month's. Newer isnt always better which is why I bought an S790 a 2012/2013 model that across the Net still get's rave reviews. This is all just my thoughts and opinion mind you.
AVfile likes this.
post #3891 of 3899 Old 04-26-2016, 02:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Point taken. I'm mostly out of the game anyway since I stream or Tivo just about everything these days. I've probably watched 2 physical discs so far this year. So it would take me forever to wear out even the worst player. I have older players in some rooms that have never played a disc at all.
steve1971 likes this.
post #3892 of 3899 Old 04-28-2016, 06:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Do the new players support USB keyboard in the YouTube app search function?
steve1971 likes this.

- AVStefan
post #3893 of 3899 Old 04-28-2016, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVfile View Post
Do the new players support USB keyboard in the YouTube app search function?

I know the Sony S5500 does. My wife surprised me this morning by buying me yet another 5500. . I'll try it out and see if I have better luck with it then my last 2.
post #3894 of 3899 Old 06-22-2016, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 597 Post(s)
Liked: 182
I've got a question and I don't know if it is a 'setting' thing or if it's right and just something I've never seen before.

I'm playing Cars 2 BD. The second audio track is DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 ES.
The Sony BD player is reporting (via the OSD) DTS-HD Mstr ES Matrix 6.1.
My Denon AVR is reporting (via it's OSD) DTS-HD MA ES 6.1 input and 5.1 channel output (since I only have a 5.1 setup).

Is the Sony decoding a matrixed center rear channel and incorrectly passing it to the AVR? I'm using an HDMI cable to the AVR and it should theoretically be getting the raw stream of 5.1 not 6.1.

Honestly, I'm a bit confused as to what is really going on.
I don't really want it upmixing and then downmixing if that's what's happening... or is this just both pieces of hardware reporting what is possible, but not what's actually being done?
post #3895 of 3899 Old 06-23-2016, 08:55 PM
AVS Special Member

The ES content is flagged so the player and receiver knows. You're lucky because some receivers don't read the flag when it's a HD Master Audio, but yours appears to.

Sent from my Lenovo YT3-850F using Tapatalk

- AVStefan
post #3896 of 3899 Old 06-23-2016, 11:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 597 Post(s)
Liked: 182
So in theory it is decoding correctly. Thanks.
post #3897 of 3899 Old 06-30-2016, 11:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorM View Post
I've got a question and I don't know if it is a 'setting' thing or if it's right and just something I've never seen before.

I'm playing Cars 2 BD. The second audio track is DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 ES.
The Sony BD player is reporting (via the OSD) DTS-HD Mstr ES Matrix 6.1.
My Denon AVR is reporting (via it's OSD) DTS-HD MA ES 6.1 input and 5.1 channel output (since I only have a 5.1 setup).

Is the Sony decoding a matrixed center rear channel and incorrectly passing it to the AVR? I'm using an HDMI cable to the AVR and it should theoretically be getting the raw stream of 5.1 not 6.1.

Honestly, I'm a bit confused as to what is really going on.
I don't really want it upmixing and then downmixing if that's what's happening... or is this just both pieces of hardware reporting what is possible, but not what's actually being done?
Finally back online after some password reset meshugas.

I will have to click around to find it, but I have a recollection of this getting into unique flagging of surround back information on Pixar BDs. Google around, searching for "DTS ES" and "Pixar." I recall a thread about this kinda complicated issue on either this site, HTF or Blu-ray.com.
post #3898 of 3899 Old 06-30-2016, 11:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 17
post #3899 of 3899 Old 07-05-2016, 10:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Anyone having trouble with their S790 fluorescent display getting dimmer in some parts? Perhaps this is an easy part to replace if it can be found.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Sony , Sony Bdps790 3d Blu Ray Player , Sony Blu Ray Disc Player Bdp S790 , Sony Open Box Bdp S790 3d Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page