Official 2012 Sony BDP-S790 Thread - Page 131 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 61Likes

post #3901 of 3917 Old 07-24-2016, 08:11 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
For Youtube, did you try the same video again. The youtube app seem to accumulate whatever overtime eventually leading to the "App is too large" problem, but usually after relaunching you can watch again, but eventually the same problem will build up again. Some memory leak that's neveer been fixed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3902 of 3917 Old 07-25-2016, 02:48 AM

Liked: 11
Thanks Kevin. It was actually the first video I ever opened on Youtube, and happened the second time and with another video as well.
post #3903 of 3917 Old 07-25-2016, 07:35 AM
Advanced Member

Hmm, I haven't used the Youtube app in a while so I guess that could be a new quirk.
post #3904 of 3917 Old 08-01-2016, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Official 2012 Sony BDP-S790 Thread

Can the 790 play UV via Cinema Now or other app?

I tried to activate Cinema Now on my 770 and it said invalid code!

- AVStefan
If you like someone's post, just use the Like button to give thanks.
post #3905 of 3917 Old 08-02-2016, 03:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVfile View Post
Can the 790 play UV via Cinema Now or other app?
It doesn't have the Cinema Now app, but it does have VUDU which works fine.
post #3906 of 3917 Old 08-07-2016, 10:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin M. Dean View Post
Thanks but it looks like there's still no VUDU in Canada. The player doesn't even have the app.
post #3907 of 3917 Old 08-08-2016, 07:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2043 Post(s)
Liked: 918
You guys ever heard of Roku? It's a little puck that has every streaming app imaginable. So you can keep using your 790 for discs forever and get all the streaming services you want. If that's not your cup of tea, then get a Chromecast, Fire TV or Apple TV. The streaming landscape changes so fast, it's unreasonable to expect any disc player or smart TV to keep up. A stand-alone streamer is always going to be the best option.
DoctorM likes this.
post #3908 of 3917 Old 08-08-2016, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked: 187
We recently bought new Sony android TVs. Apps are almost always up to date because it isn't up to Sony to give you the latest and greatest apps, they come from the Google App Store just like your cellphone.
It also plays media files leagues better than the S790.

Our S790 is now a dumb DVDs and BDs, nothing else.
mdavej likes this.
post #3909 of 3917 Old 08-20-2016, 03:38 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Here's something weird.... a little while ago I started to experience a handshake issue between the Sony BDP-S790 and my recently purchased Yamaha RX-A3030 where it would suddenly lose connection during a movie, it never did it on my previous Yamaha RX-V773. I couldn't figure it out until I realised that my Yamaha sub YST-SW515 was causing the interference whenever it would either kick in or when no signal was detected after 6 or 7 minutes and shut off momentarily as it has an Auto setting that allows it to do so.... I tried altering the phase to normal from reverse and a few other things and still it kept on happening..... and then I tried something so basic and simple... I swapped the ends of the HDMI cable around between the player and the receiver.... and voila, it worked! Who would've thought... I had forgotten an article I read ages ago stating that HDMI leads are usually directional...

Last edited by Mattyo1612; 08-20-2016 at 03:49 AM.
post #3910 of 3917 Old 09-08-2016, 05:28 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
A followup from while back on a problem a number of people have had, where the S790 no longer responds to the remote.

This is something that (in my case), it's done almost since new. different firmware versions would make the problem better or worse, but no version was perfect.

I've verified that my problem is caused by overheating. Originally a USB drive inserted into the rear port seemed to be the issue, but I've determined conclusively that it was simply making the overheating itself worse.

Another poster had a similar issue, and solved things by turning on a fan pointed at his AV stack whenever the remote stopped responding. While this worked for me too (and quickly -- it can be resolved in as little as 10 seconds), it's cumbersome, and wasn't ideal for how my home theater is set up.

I've come up with a simple solution: A USB-powered fan behind the player, which when plugged into the player itself has the advantage of turning on only when the player comes on. What I'm using now is an all-in-one USB desk fan from ThermalTake (Model A1888).

You could also cobble together your own solution to use an ultra-quiet fan, but I've found the ThermalTake to be pretty quiet, especially as the speed can be adjusted down quite low.
AVfile and Sgooter like this.
post #3911 of 3917 Old 09-18-2016, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin M. Dean View Post
It.used to carry Cinema Now but removed it, as Sony always gimp out their players after purchase.
They also removed all 3D apps. Their YouTube barely works half the time. Everything they do to their players after - market is negative. They never apply anything positive or beneficial firmware after that. Personally, I'll never buy another Sony again
post #3912 of 3917 Old 09-19-2016, 02:06 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
A blu-ray cleaning disc didn't help the problems with my BDP-S790. And since the problem with the unsharp picture is the same for both blu-ray disc and USB, I assume the problem is not with the lens, but something else.

BDP-S790 is no longer available on the market, and I am thinking about buying a BDP-S6500, or possibly BDP-S7200, instead. But then I would also have to buy a digital to analog converter, to put in-between the player and my analog stereo. And those converters don't seem to be reliable - I have heard that they sometimes are too weak/insufficient to hold up the volume and also have difficulties in delivering the full register of complex sounds.

I just don't understand why Sony won't put analog outputs on their players (except on the BDP-S790). Because of this unwillingness to do so, I have ended up in no man's land, without a suitable player available for my fine TV. It's a shame.

I only hope my BDP-S790 would start working again!

Last edited by Terriers; 09-20-2016 at 01:34 AM.
post #3913 of 3917 Old 09-21-2016, 04:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by DecoLingo View Post
...Another poster had a similar issue, and solved things by turning on a fan pointed at his AV stack whenever the remote stopped responding. ..
I've come up with a simple solution...What I'm using now is an all-in-one USB desk fan from ThermalTake (Model A1888)...
Thanks. ThermalTake fan was delivered yesterday; looks to be well made, and I like that my AVR's USB port works in sync with AVR's on/off.

Don't use a big word when a more diminutive one would suffice.
post #3914 of 3917 Old 09-22-2016, 10:49 AM

OK. I am preparing for a last resort here. I am going to take off the top shell of my S790, and dust and clean all the interior parts as well as possible. And then spray every circuit and other conspicuous parts with cleaning-spray for electronics (dissolves fat and oil).

What do you think? Do you think it might help to fix the loss of sharpness in the picture?

I did this once to my old analog stereo, and it actually helped to restore the sound that earlier occasionally had disappeared from one of the speakers. It seemed to help the circuits to connect better.
post #3915 of 3917 Old 09-22-2016, 03:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2043 Post(s)
Liked: 918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terriers View Post
OK. I am preparing for a last resort here. I am going to take off the top shell of my S790, and dust and clean all the interior parts as well as possible. And then spray every circuit and other conspicuous parts with cleaning-spray for electronics (dissolves fat and oil).

What do you think? Do you think it might help to fix the loss of sharpness in the picture?

I did this once to my old analog stereo, and it actually helped to restore the sound that earlier occasionally had disappeared from one of the speakers. It seemed to help the circuits to connect better.
I don't think cleaning will have any affect whatsoever on the picture. It's more likely some setting was accidentally changed in your player or TV to cause that. I've never seen a digital video source device lose sharpness due to age, wear or component failure.
Terriers likes this.
post #3916 of 3917 Old 09-22-2016, 11:54 PM

Hmm, ... Thanks mdavej. I will go through the settings again, in both TV and player, and see if I can find something there. (The picture is fine and sharp when putting a USB directly into the TV. But when putting the USB (or Blu-ray disc) into the player, the picture is slightly fuzzy and the finest details are not resolved.)

Last edited by Terriers; 09-23-2016 at 12:10 AM.
post #3917 of 3917 Old 09-23-2016, 09:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terriers View Post
Hmm, ... Thanks mdavej. I will go through the settings again, in both TV and player, and see if I can find something there. (The picture is fine and sharp when putting a USB directly into the TV. But when putting the USB (or Blu-ray disc) into the player, the picture is slightly fuzzy and the finest details are not resolved.)
Can you photograph the screen and post a picture of the players video settings menu here so we can review it?

Sent from my Lenovo YT3-850F using Tapatalk

- AVStefan
If you like someone's post, just use the Like button to give thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Sony , Sony Bdps790 3d Blu Ray Player , Sony Blu Ray Disc Player Bdp S790 , Sony Open Box Bdp S790 3d Blu Ray Disc Player

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page