post #391 of 3520 Old 04-23-2012, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

Actually the Pionner 09FD, Denon DVD A1, Sony 5000ES and a couple others were the first elite players. Oppo changed the game for them. Now Sony is changing the game for oppo and the rest. Full circle...

Can you elaborate on how Sony is changing the game for Oppo and the rest? Also, who is the rest?

It is obvious that Marantz, Oppo, Denon, Cambridge, etc. are not competing for the current Sony buyer. This is evident by the feature set, price point and less of an emphasis on streaming.

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

Oppo BDP-105, Denon DVD-5910CI, Cambridge 752BD, Cambridge 640C V2

Paradigm Signature S8, Paradigm Signature ADP1

Paradigm Signature ADP3, Paradigm Signature C5

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Oppo BDP-93, BDP-103D, Pioneer BDP-320

Sony BDP-S790

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 3520 Old 04-23-2012, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerwi View Post

It is obvious that Marantz, Oppo, Denon, Cambridge, etc. are not competing for the current Sony buyer. This is evident by the feature set, price point and less of an emphasis on streaming.

Mmm .... I think I would phrase this a bit differently.

It is obvious that Marantz, Oppo, Denon, Cambridge, etc. are not addressing the current needs of the market. This is evident by their un-balanced feature set, uncompetitive price point and less of an emphasis on streaming
post #393 of 3520 Old 04-23-2012, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post

its is obvious that marantz, oppo, denon, cambridge, etc. Are not addressing the current needs of the market. This is evident by the their un-balanced feature set, uncompetitive price point and less of an emphasis on streaming

well said
post #394 of 3520 Old 04-23-2012, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post

Decided to watch the new Muppet Movie on my OPPO93 - great PQ, nice Music - why can't I hear the people talking? Restarted the Blu-ray - still, everything but voices, except the odd excerpt. Removed, reved up the Sony BDPS770 - great PQ, music, and voila voices! Chalk one up for the Sony again! Have had several Blu-rays do this to me by stop working, or never work at all on the OPPO93 - put it into the Sony and they work. I think a BDPS790 will soon replace the OPPO93. (Once they're available in Canada.) The OPPO will replace the 770, which will bump the inconsistent Samsung 3D Blu-ray player.
(PS. The Muppet Movie has a movie within a movie - push the pause button, and you'll be entertained for a half hour Intermission sequence)

OPPO did a FW update today, and now the Muppet Movie Works with Sound!
But, does the PQ look a little fuzzy versus the Sony BD Player?
post #395 of 3520 Old 04-24-2012, 02:56 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
i have 92" gray screen and epson 6100. Do not care about 4k or 3d. Would 780 be as good as 790 PQ wise? also, i have ss360 HTIB, it only accepts LPCM signal I believe, do the 780 and 790 output LPCM? thanks.
post #396 of 3520 Old 04-24-2012, 04:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Can you elaborate on how Sony is changing the game for Oppo and the rest? Also, who is the rest?

Quote:

Mmm .... I think I would phrase this a bit differently.

It is obvious that Marantz, Oppo, Denon, Cambridge, etc. are not addressing the current needs of the market. This is evident by their un-balanced feature set, uncompetitive price point and less of an emphasis on streaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post

well said

I would phrase that as Marantz, Oppo, Denon, Cambridge, etc., are addressing the current needs of a different market; those with less of an emphasis on streaming, but require 7.1 analog, SACD, DVD-A, etc.. They are marketing a Universal transport and their pricing reflects that of their peer group offering a similar product and is competitive within this peer group.

Sony, Panasonic, Samsung, etc. belong to a different peer group. As buyers we need to decide which peer group we need to shop in. I personally shop in both.

No one is holding a gun to our heads influencing what we buy or how much we spend. If someone doesn't find value in spending in excess of $300 for a transport, then spend less. I guess the people spending $98.00 for a Magnavox feel the same way about spending $249.00 for the S790.

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Sony BDP-S790

post #397 of 3520 Old 04-24-2012, 04:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post

OPPO did a FW update today, and now the Muppet Movie Works with Sound!
But, does the PQ look a little fuzzy versus the Sony BD Player?

No! At least that is what my eyes are telling me.

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Sony BDP-S790

post #398 of 3520 Old 04-24-2012, 05:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

Price and performance. You have both players? Compare them and put it to rest.
post #399 of 3520 Old 04-24-2012, 05:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No! At least that is what my eyes are telling me.

^^^You already did
post #400 of 3520 Old 04-24-2012, 05:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Engadget just posted an article about the player being available.

There is also the following press release:

SONY ANNOUNCES ARRIVAL OF ITS 2012 FLAGSHIP BLU-RAY DISC PLAYER WITH DUAL-CORE PROCESSOR

What: Sleek, fast and smart - the new Sony BDP-S790 Blu-ray Disc™ player is now available for consumer pre-order. In addition to Blu-ray Disc, DVD and CD playback, this WiFi® connected flag-ship model supports digital services from Sony Entertainment Network and a variety of other providers, including UltraViolet™ streaming services powered by VUDU. With its built-in 4K upscaling, the BDP-S790 player also delivers superior playback quality from a number of other HD and SD sources – even those in 3D!

Key Features
- Dual core processor for faster response
- 4K upscaling
- IP Content Noise Reduction
- Dual HDMI outputs
- IR input

Sony Entertainment Network
- Video Unlimited
- Music Unlimited
- Netflix
- Flixter
- VUDU
- Amazon Instant Video
- Slacker
- Pandora
- And many more Internet powered services

- Social media integration with Socialize, Twitter and Facebook
- Entertainment Database Browser with Gracenote technology
- DLNA Client and photo, music, and video playback
- HomeShare Network Speaker compatible
- Photo, music, and video playback via front USB
- "Media Remote" (iPhone/iPod touch/Android BD Remote Control application)
- Available for about $249

When: Pre-order – April 22
In stores – May 6
Where: Online at www.store.sony.com, at Sony Stores and at electronics retailers nationwide
post #401 of 3520 Old 04-24-2012, 07:25 AM
Advanced Member

Can someone with the S790 tell me if it can output the older 3D format that the older Mit's DLP's use? Some of the Panasonic BR's do. There is nothing in the user manual about selecting the 3D output format. -- Thanks!
post #402 of 3520 Old 04-24-2012, 08:39 AM
Advanced Member

So, I tried out the 590 last night "on loan" from Target, to see how the Sony streaming apps compared in general to the Oppo offerings. Holy cow. What a difference. The Netflix app is, basically, identical to the incredibly responsive PS3 version. Amazon seems to work quite well too. Likewise, the DLNA stuff from PS3 Media Server on my PC seems to play just as well as it did on the Oppo. The only option I can really tell that's missing is the ability to "jump" to a specific time position on DLNA streamed content. Is that truly not possible? While the Oppo would almost inevitably lock up within seconds of trying to FF or RW via a DLNA stream, its ability to type in a precise time marker in the stream to go to largely mitigated that need. I'm hoping that I'm just overlooking that somehow, but perhaps not. Bummer.

Anyway, after evaluating the 590, it may in fact fill all my requirements (especially since it sounds like the IP NR feature of the 790 can't be applied to Netflix streams anyway), and perhaps I'll just hang onto it for the time being. Final questions for those who've had both the 590 and the 790, if you wouldn't mind:

1) Is the "build quality" dramatically different between the two? Going from the Oppo, I'm sure either will feel like toys, but is the 790 at all more "durable" feeling than the 590?

2) Once again, I'm seeing the dual-core being mentioned as "improving responsiveness" and performance vs the 590? Earlier comments seemed to indicate that it was fairly identical though. I'm guessing that the dual-core is really only put into use when one turns on the 4K upscaling... but just wanted to get a confirmation on that assumption if possible.

Thanks in advance.
post #403 of 3520 Old 04-24-2012, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodelius View Post

PQ of the Panasonic 310 is as good as it gets, but I returned my unit due to its crappy DLNA performance. It simply did not work with MKV files, no matter what DLNA server and settings I tried.

Now I need another player with 2 HDMi sockets and –hopefully– with excellent DLNA performance.
Will the BDP-S790 be that player?

I will appreciate any comments in this respect.

I am doing the exact same thing when the S790 becomes available in my region.

I had a Panny 220 and put it through some rigorous USB and DLNA testing with various formats over a period of a week, my findings unfortunately are the same as rodelius, the DLNA media container support/performance is weak to say the least, regardless of the media server used, so it had to bite the dust. Now its on its way back for a refund.

Some people on here or other threads were mentioning that network drives are a no go with the Sony, but I am of the opinion that its possible to host a DLNA server on a dedicated network share PC/NAS, so you can get the best of both worlds if you have a large digital library you wish to access through various LAN enabled devices, so the S790 providing good support for various media containers is a good base imo, the rest is only a challenge which can be overcome.

The Panny 3D performance was pretty nice, my 46" Sharp TV showed its best when I watched "how to train your dragon" dreamworks title in 3D BD goodness. Im hoping that the S790 will offer similar emersion factor, but that remains to be seen.

In the media streaming stakes, the Panny did well with HD content on a 10Mbps ISP connection, if a little clunky at times, so if the Sony offers a similar performance in this area, give or take, I'm convinced I'm onto a winner.

For me 4K is a red herring, so I'm a little gutted Im having to pay for that label, but in my mind I'll be offseting the extra cost against the size, look and feel and the remote of the S790, which imo is a much better overall package than any of the Panny models and the lower Sony models.

For me 2 x HDMI and splitting Video/Audio via HDMI is also a red herring since from a technical standpoint the Audio is embedded into the Video stream. So whether the Video and/or Audio is gated off at the BDP player or the AVR end is a null point, subject of course to the AVR having a similarly specced Video processor as the BDP and all being equal in this area. To have the flexibility however, is a good thing even if it is not a primary requirement for me.

As far as the XMB is concerned, I'm used to it because of the Gaystation (pun intended lol), but I wouldnt necessarily agree that its the best GUI since sliced bread. Imo the XMB is marginally better than the Vieira Connect GUI, but that can be attributed to having got used to the XMB interface first. Both are acceptable in my view.

The value of the Dual Core of the S790 at this juncture is unclear and it remains to be seen if this part of the hardware design will offer any noticeable improvement.

My biggest concern about Sony, is the management of their hosted online services and based on my experience with the gaystation, these have been borderline acceptable. I have also read online about the lack of redundancy offered by Sony in their datacentres, so any updates or maintenance server side is a concern from the end user service delivery point of view. This may or may not be applicable to a BDP from Sony, but I suspect this is an area that may cause further irritation in the future.

I have now found a supplier in the UK offering Harry Potter 3D collector set with any Sony BDP purchase, and although I personally don't like the Potter franchise at all, the price is right and the value add is there to make it a worthwhile 200GBP spend, when the thing eventually becomes available to buy

My thoughts on the subject.

G.
post #404 of 3520 Old 04-24-2012, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian-HD View Post

I would like to hear your subjective opinion and want to know if Sony manipulated the S790 PQ

Quote:

Price and performance. You have both players? Compare them and put it to rest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmeader View Post

So, I tried out the 590 last night "on loan" from Target, to see how the Sony streaming apps compared in general to the Oppo offerings. Holy cow. What a difference. The Netflix app is, basically, identical to the incredibly responsive PS3 version. Amazon seems to work quite well too. Likewise, the DLNA stuff from PS3 Media Server on my PC seems to play just as well as it did on the Oppo. The only option I can really tell that's missing is the ability to "jump" to a specific time position on DLNA streamed content. Is that truly not possible? While the Oppo would almost inevitably lock up within seconds of trying to FF or RW via a DLNA stream, its ability to type in a precise time marker in the stream to go to largely mitigated that need. I'm hoping that I'm just overlooking that somehow, but perhaps not. Bummer.

Anyway, after evaluating the 590, it may in fact fill all my requirements (especially since it sounds like the IP NR feature of the 790 can't be applied to Netflix streams anyway), and perhaps I'll just hang onto it for the time being. Final questions for those who've had both the 590 and the 790, if you wouldn't mind:

1) Is the "build quality" dramatically different between the two? Going from the Oppo, I'm sure either will feel like toys, but is the 790 at all more "durable" feeling than the 590?

2) Once again, I'm seeing the dual-core being mentioned as "improving responsiveness" and performance vs the 590? Earlier comments seemed to indicate that it was fairly identical though. I'm guessing that the dual-core is really only put into use when one turns on the 4K upscaling... but just wanted to get a confirmation on that assumption if possible.

Thanks in advance.

Due to the Oppos limited streaming partners I would sell it in your situation. Especially, if you don't require SACD (S790 has it), DVD-A, FLAC, etc. You will probably recoup 85% to 90% of what you paid for it. This way you could just settle on the S790 and put some money back in your pocket.

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Sony BDP-S790

post #405 of 3520 Old 04-24-2012, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Due to the Oppos limited streaming partners I would sell it in your situation. Especially, if you don't require SACD (S790 has it), DVD-A, FLAC, etc. You will probably recoup 85% to 90% of what you paid for it. This way you could just settle on the S790 and put some money back in your pocket.

Just for clarification, SACD is supported on the S390 and S590 as well.
post #406 of 3520 Old 04-24-2012, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Likewise, the DLNA stuff from PS3 Media Server on my PC seems to play just as well as it did on the Oppo. The only option I can really tell that's missing is the ability to "jump" to a specific time position on DLNA streamed content. Is that truly not possible? While the Oppo would almost inevitably lock up within seconds of trying to FF or RW via a DLNA stream, its ability to type in a precise time marker in the stream to go to largely mitigated that need. I'm hoping that I'm just overlooking that somehow, but perhaps not. Bummer.

Thanks in advance.

DLNA chapter search and FF/RW actions are dependent on the DLNA server being used as well as the rendered (player). All the Sony BD 2012 players support FF/RW and chapter search for some media including MKV AVC Mpeg 4. However you need to use a DLNA server that can support it properly. I tried Serviio and it didn't work very well. I try Elgato Eye Connect for Mac OSX and chapter search and FF/RW works perfectly.

Build quality is improved on the S790. The base is more solid, and the base piece fits together with the outer shell well. Its a bit heavier too. Its still all plastic though, so don't get too excited. Its not HiFi from the 80's.

As I think I've stated before, there is no noticeable difference in performance with the S790 and S590/S390 with respect to apps. Unless the apps are re-written to take advantage of the multi-core and multi threading available in the S790, you wont notice any difference. That is just all marketing babel from Sony.
post #407 of 3520 Old 04-24-2012, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by george.mcdonald View Post

Some people on here or other threads were mentioning that network drives are a no go with the Sony, but I am of the opinion that its possible to host a DLNA server on a dedicated network share PC/NAS, so you can get the best of both worlds if you have a large digital library you wish to access through various LAN enabled devices, so the S790 providing good support for various media containers is a good base imo, the rest is only a challenge which can be overcome.
G.

I've stated before that the Sony players will not see network shares directly like the Panasonic players can. I never said that if the NAS had its own built in DLNA server, or your DLNA server serves content from your NAS it wouldn't work ... of course it will, but you have to use a DLNA server. End of story.
post #408 of 3520 Old 04-24-2012, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I'm forced to wonder how much of the product dollar is in the 4K scaler if the entire player only costs $250.
post #409 of 3520 Old 04-24-2012, 11:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

DLNA chapter search and FF/RW actions are dependent on the DLNA server being used as well as the rendered (player). All the Sony BD 2012 players support FF/RW and chapter search for some media including MKV AVC Mpeg 4. However you need to use a DLNA server that can support it properly. I tried Serviio and it didn't work very well. I try Elgato Eye Connect for Mac OSX and chapter search and FF/RW works perfectly.

Hmm, okay, it's not chapter search I'm talking about though. On the Oppo 93, when playing a file from a DLNA server (specifically PS3 Media Server in my case), you can call up the info display and then have access to the "time" counter which shows your position in the current stream as xx:xx:xx/yy:yy:yy, where x is the current position out of y (the total run time). You can input a specific value for the x values, hit enter, and the stream will seek to that exact spot.

Unless I'm missing it, I see nothing comparable on the 590 (and I'm guessing 790 as well). The PS3 does have this feature, so I was hoping the 590/790s would as well. It's not a HUGE loss, given how well all the other streaming works, but the one disappointment I could find going from the Oppo.

Thanks for the build quality comments. Sounds like it gains very little over the 590, beyond the basic shape.

Since the 590 and 790 do actually have different firmware versions (unlike the 390/590), I guess it's POSSIBLE that going forward it could be made to take larger advantage of the dual-core. However, for the time being, it's probably just best to stick with the $140 590 and move that to a bedroom player should I go to the 790 down the road.

Thanks again.
post #410 of 3520 Old 04-24-2012, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hmm, okay, it's not chapter search I'm talking about though. On the Oppo 93, when playing a file from a DLNA server (specifically PS3 Media Server in my case), you can call up the info display and then have access to the "time" counter which shows your position in the current stream as xx:xx:xx/yy:yy:yy, where x is the current position out of y (the total run time). You can input a specific value for the x values, hit enter, and the stream will seek to that exact spot.

Unless I'm missing it, I see nothing comparable on the 590 (and I'm guessing 790 as well). The PS3 does have this feature, so I was hoping the 590/790s would as well. It's not a HUGE loss, given how well all the other streaming works, but the one disappointment I could find going from the Oppo.

Not supported.

.. and I should add, you mentioned this feature because the Oppo doesn't do a very good job of FF/RW .. so you used this instead. What I am saying is that with the right DLNA server and the right player (the Sony in this case), you can get FF/RW and chapter search to work properly.
post #411 of 3520 Old 04-24-2012, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Most who are buying the Oppo are not buying it for just blu-ray, DVD and/or SACD playback or for its limited streaming. They are buying it for everything else that it does that players in the sub $400 market don't provide. Also, "build quality" to some is just as important as "streaming" is to others as an example. If competent blu-ray, DVD playback and streaming are the only buying criteria then the S790 as well as offerings from Panasonic, Samsung and LG can provide this.

Last, Oppo is not targeting the streaming crowd which is evident by the limited streaming partners. Oppo operates from a different business model which has served them well over the years. Their DVD and blu-ray players hold their value better than any transport that I have come across in my many years in this hobby.

Also, if anyone is wondering I do own a couple of Oppo products in addition to the Sony BDP-S790.

One other thing that Oppo offers which is often overlooked and not discussed is the fact that inexpensive region-free DVD/Blu-ray mod kits are available for their products. This is a big deal for me. I was considering one of the 2012 Panasonics AND the Sony BDP-S790 as I was shopping for a new player this month. Their lack of region-free capability swung me to the Oppo. Since my display provides Netflix/Amazon/Hulu/Pandora streaming directly, this capability in a player wasn't really a factor. However, I may be picking up a 790 just to satisfy my curiosity.
post #412 of 3520 Old 04-24-2012, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It is not only steaming, but PQ as well.
post #413 of 3520 Old 04-24-2012, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 44
The Sony S790 was WORTH the Purchase for 1 Reason

I have an older Anthem D2 - NO 3D HDMI support.

I was using a Panasonic 310 before the SONY with DUAL
HDMI outputs for 3D - like the Sony, one for Audio and
one for 3D Video.

When I installed the 310 - I needed to UPGRADE the Anthem
FW from 1.33 to 1.47f to get the 310 to work. For Anthem
Owners they know 1.47f is Beta FW versus Stable FW 1.33.

The Sony worked with the Anthem FW 1.47f but seemed to
create some other NEW Problems when I switched back to
2D mode.

Today I rolled the Anthem back to FW 1.33 and GUESS WHAT?

The Sony S790 PLAYED PERFECTLY that makes the S790 worth
every penny in my BOOK - Assuming you have an Anthem D2
post #414 of 3520 Old 04-24-2012, 02:59 PM

Liked: 17
Just about to buy this player..does it play WMV files and disks just like the older sonys and sammys? Thanks!

matrixj
post #415 of 3520 Old 04-24-2012, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpippel View Post

One other thing that Oppo offers which is often overlooked and not discussed is the fact that inexpensive region-free DVD/Blu-ray mod kits are available for their products. This is a big deal for me. I was considering one of the 2012 Panasonics AND the Sony BDP-S790 as I was shopping for a new player this month. Their lack of region-free capability swung me to the Oppo. Since my display provides Netflix/Amazon/Hulu/Pandora streaming directly, this capability in a player wasn't really a factor. However, I may be picking up a 790 just to satisfy my curiosity.

To be clear, Oppo doesn't offer this. Merely the player design has being hacked to allow region free playback.

There's another group devoted to modifying the firmware in the Panasonic BD players to accomplish the same goal.
post #416 of 3520 Old 04-24-2012, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matrixj3 View Post

Just about to buy this player..does it play WMV files and disks just like the older sonys and sammys? Thanks!

Yes.
post #417 of 3520 Old 04-24-2012, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

To be clear, Oppo doesn't offer this. Merely the player design has being hacked to allow region free playback.

There's another group devoted to modifying the firmware in the Panasonic BD players to accomplish the same goal.

Yeah, I didn't use the best phrasing there. I was referring to Oppo the platform and NOT Oppo the company. The region-free mod kits are produced and sold by third parties.

As for the Panasonic players, I'm not aware of any off-the-shelf mods or firmware hacks that are available to be purchased for them, and I researched it pretty thoroughly. Not the same. I couldn't find anything at all for the Sony stuff.
post #418 of 3520 Old 04-24-2012, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just for clarification, SACD is supported on the S390 and S590 as well.

apw2607,

Thanks for the clarification. What other features do the S390 and S590 have in common with the S790. I would gladly return the S790 if the streaming partners are the same. I see no reason to spend the extra on the S790 since its main purpose for me is to stream video.

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Sony BDP-S790

post #419 of 3520 Old 04-24-2012, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It is not only steaming, but PQ as well.

Subjective as I personally find no fault in the PQ of the Oppo compared to the Sony at 1st glance. Hopefully, the Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity can get their hands on a S790 for review as they are using a different method to benchmark players.

Time permitting this weekend I will take the Sony down to my basement and view it on my Pioneer Elite Pro-151FD. I will swap it out for the port presently occupied by my S5000ES.

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Sony BDP-S790

post #420 of 3520 Old 04-24-2012, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

apw2607,

Thanks for the clarification. What other features do the S390 and S590 have in common with the S790. I would gladly return the S790 if the streaming partners are the same. I see no reason to spend the extra on the S790 since its main purpose for me is to stream video.

I tried to capture everything in this post within this thread. It attempts to list everything above the S390/S590.

Note the difference between the S390 and S590 is..

S590 includes 3D support, Standard width, Optical digital audio out, front display, rear USB port

All the players offer the same streaming services as one another other than the S390, which obviously doesnt support "experience 3D" and Video Unlimited 3D content.

As I mentioned already, the S790 when used with Sony playback engine for internet video offers IP Noise Reduction Pro, with more settings/options over the S390 and S590. Note this does not apply to VUDU or Netflix where the Sony playback engine is not used.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Sony , Sony Bdps790 3d Blu Ray Player , Blu Ray Players , Sony Blu Ray Disc Player Bdp S790 , Sony Open Box Bdp S790 3d Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page