Official 2012 Sony BDP-S790 Thread - Page 16 - AVS Forum
First ... 14  15  16 17  18  ... Last
Blu-ray Players > Official 2012 Sony BDP-S790 Thread
apw2607's Avatar apw2607 05:25 PM 04-27-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwanthd View Post

Does the Sony support MLB streaming?

No

Hubertoliver's Avatar Hubertoliver 11:20 PM 04-27-2012
Received my790 today and have it set up now. It is very nice in all aspects. I've tried 3D, BD, SACD, and NETFLIX...all have exceeded my expectations. Good work SONY!
KONICA TECH's Avatar KONICA TECH 02:25 AM 04-28-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubertoliver View Post

Received my790 today and have it set up now. It is very nice in all aspects. I've tried 3D, BD, SACD, and NETFLIX...all have exceeded my expectations. Good work SONY!

Congrats on the new 790. Just would like to know how you are using it. What kind of display you have, are you utilizing the dual HDMI's and have you set any of the enhancement options etc. TIA
joerod's Avatar joerod 03:53 AM 04-28-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubertoliver View Post

Received my790 today and have it set up now. It is very nice in all aspects. I've tried 3D, BD, SACD, and NETFLIX...all have exceeded my expectations. Good work SONY!

Yes Congrats!

Watched Contraband with the 790 and we really had a good time. On a side not we are still going back and forth between 1080p and up converted 4K. I will say my new Monster HDX Hyperspeed cable made a difference when switching back and forth. No more hang ups! And it is a 35 foot cable. Works perfectly.
Hubertoliver's Avatar Hubertoliver 07:23 AM 04-28-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by KONICA TECH View Post

Congrats on the new 790. Just would like to know how you are using it. What kind of display you have, are you utilizing the dual HDMI's and have you set any of the enhancement options etc. TIA

I am currently running it through a PIONEER VSX-1122 and SONY 55NX720 LED. I use MONSTER 1000HDX HDMI cables for all connections. No video enhancements are being used only the QDEO processing the AVR uses. My biggest worry was how it would handle SACD's and it was flawless in playback. I doubt I will use the twin HDMI's but who know's that could change. I bought he 790 to actually replace 2 BD units, a PANASONIC BDT-310 and PIONEER BDP-440. So far it has equaled or exceeded both players.
jsil 08:19 PM 04-28-2012
For those ones who have the PS3 slim and 790 which one do you like more for playback and streaming.
jobjiale205's Avatar jobjiale205 08:26 PM 04-28-2012
My Review is done. I can't post a link to it without getting into trouble. You can access it by clicking uder my name to the left then on my HOMEPAGE. The 790 is down just a little on the right side of the page.


jsil 08:37 PM 04-28-2012
I don't see your homepage?
Hubertoliver's Avatar Hubertoliver 08:59 PM 04-28-2012
I've done a little looking deeper into this unit and made a few changes in the settings. We watched a couple of movies tonight on NF and still very satisfied. I did decide to use both HDMI outputs and still undecided if it provided any better performance.
joerod's Avatar joerod 08:59 PM 04-28-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsil View Post

I don't see your homepage?

Under my name to the left click it and then tap on Homepage. Or just google Joe rod home theater .com
jsil 09:09 PM 04-28-2012
joerod,
Did you get the Denon 4311ci.
apw2607's Avatar apw2607 09:28 PM 04-28-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

Under my name to the left click it and then tap on Homepage. Or just google Joe rod home theater .com

I think they were referring to jobjiale205 post.
apw2607's Avatar apw2607 09:33 PM 04-28-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsil View Post

joerod,
Did you get the Denon 4311ci.

I have the 4310ci ! In typical denon fashion that receiver was future proof with firmware updates and feature updates. What a joke. 3 month later denon release the 4311 with 3d support and AirPlay. The 4310 cannot be upgraded. What a scam .... Never again denon.

Anyway I digress. This is a Sony 790 thread after all ....
apw2607's Avatar apw2607 04:52 AM 04-29-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsil View Post

For those ones who have the PS3 slim and 790 which one do you like more for playback and streaming.

I owned the ps3 slim for years prior to getting the 790.

Both have their merits.

The PS3 slim is still an excellent player and a no brainier if you want a decent BD player, a fair DVD player and some streaming. What it does support for streaming is good however it does have a few quirks. It can't pass bitstream audio out for vudu and amazon DD+ and DD respectively. Both the amazon and Hulu + apps though are significantly better UIs. Also the pS3 offers the major sports streaming services too.

The ps3 consumes a fair bit of power, is slower to load disks than the 790 and the Bluetooth remote is a bit of a pain if you need to integrate it into other remote systems.

The s790 offers all the Bravia Internet video services so good if you want to use pandora and crackle. The s790 also offers more video settings choices and has SBM if these things are important to you.

Probably other things but that's a start. Personally I prefer the 790 as I'm not a gamer and don't care about the sports streaming.
tmeader's Avatar tmeader 07:07 AM 04-29-2012
Another advantage of the 790, or even 590, over the PS3 is the noise level. While the Slim is MUCH better than the original (in terms of fan noise), there's still an audible noise present. The x90s have no fans at all.
joerod's Avatar joerod 09:55 AM 04-29-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsil View Post

joerod,
Did you get the Denon 4311ci.

Yes. I did a Take on it and not a full out Review since it has been out so long. I plan on selling it shortly since I have two more Receiver Reviews coming. I like the 4311 and plan to Review a new Denon (4520?) this Fall.
BrucePadgett's Avatar BrucePadgett 01:02 PM 04-29-2012
Joerod, would you have a direct link for your review? On my iPad, the 790 is listed on your review page but the link does not show up.

Thanks.
blee0120's Avatar blee0120 09:32 PM 04-29-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

Yes Congrats!

Watched Contraband with the 790 and we really had a good time. On a side not we are still going back and forth between 1080p and up converted 4K. I will say my new Monster HDX Hyperspeed cable made a difference when switching back and forth. No more hang ups! And it is a 35 foot cable. Works perfectly.

Just read your review, I'm sold. Got to get one
vegashomes's Avatar vegashomes 09:40 PM 04-29-2012
Cant wait for this baby to be on Amazon
EricST's Avatar EricST 05:11 AM 04-30-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegashomes View Post

Cant wait for this baby to be on Amazon

Me too
samsungmike's Avatar samsungmike 06:48 AM 04-30-2012
I'm awaiting this unit to become available at BB since I have around $90 worth of credits and gift cards to spend there. Still says coming soon. Looking into purchasing a new 3D HDTV at the same time and weighing all the options. This forum seems to be pretty saavy on what audio formats the amazon, netflix, etc. apps can output. Think the general consensus is the sony's can do dolby digital for both amazon and netflix and the panny's can only do netflix dolby digital. Now I want to throw the new 2012 HDTV's into this mix. Any idea which HDTV's can output dolby digital through their netflix and amazon apps? Assuming this would be done through the ARC hdmi connection or digital out. Looking at the going green effect if these new HDTV's can output dolby digital on a specific app and save having to have the bd player on. If this isn't the appropriate forum for this question I apologize and someone more saavy with this website please redirect me. Thanks, Mike
apw2607's Avatar apw2607 07:57 AM 04-30-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsungmike View Post

I'm awaiting this unit to become available at BB since I have around $90 worth of credits and gift cards to spend there. Still says coming soon. Looking into purchasing a new 3D HDTV at the same time and weighing all the options. This forum seems to be pretty saavy on what audio formats the amazon, netflix, etc. apps can output. Think the general consensus is the sony's can do dolby digital for both amazon and netflix and the panny's can only do netflix dolby digital. Now I want to throw the new 2012 HDTV's into this mix. Any idea which HDTV's can output dolby digital through their netflix and amazon apps? Assuming this would be done through the ARC hdmi connection or digital out. Looking at the going green effect if these new HDTV's can output dolby digital on a specific app and save having to have the bd player on. If this isn't the appropriate forum for this question I apologize and someone more saavy with this website please redirect me. Thanks, Mike

To be clear the sony outputs Dolby digital plus bitstream for Netflix and Dolby digital bitstream for amazon vod.

Not sure about tvs but my Sony xbr 9 (from 2009) is able to output Dolby digital bitstream for amazon vod. No surprise as its the same amazon app as on the BD.
samsungmike's Avatar samsungmike 08:35 AM 04-30-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post

To be clear the sony outputs Dolby digital plus bitstream for Netflix and Dolby digital bitstream for amazon vod.

Not sure about tvs but my Sony xbr 9 (from 2009) is able to output Dolby digital bitstream for amazon vod. No surprise as its the same amazon app as on the BD.

Thanks for the clarification. I'll throw sony's into the hat. Was looking mainly looking at the thin frame 46" lg and sammy hdtv's but both are missing either pandora or amazon. Think sony covers all bases. I'll seek the appropriate forum so as not to distract this one. You running ARC hdmi or digital output?
mdavej's Avatar mdavej 09:08 AM 04-30-2012
Mike, I applaud your efforts, but Sony's BD player is only 11W, so you can use or guilt-free and not be stuck with a TV whose apps will be obsolete in 6 months anyway.

If you average 2 hr/day, that's less than $1 per year in energy costs.

My 2 cents (or 11 cents/kWHr)
apw2607's Avatar apw2607 09:36 AM 04-30-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsungmike View Post

Thanks for the clarification. I'll throw sony's into the hat. Was looking mainly looking at the thin frame 46" lg and sammy hdtv's but both are missing either pandora or amazon. Think sony covers all bases. I'll seek the appropriate forum so as not to distract this one. You running ARC hdmi or digital output?

Digital out. Xbr 9 and receiver doesn't support ARC Too old for that !
hearrean's Avatar hearrean 02:14 PM 04-30-2012
I realize this is not a Samsung thread, but I'm trying to decide between this Sony (790) & the new Sammy BD-E6500. They both appear to have about the same features with the Sammy having Disk to Digital. I've also seen posts within this thread that say the Sony's interface is not the greatest. I've always had Samsung because my HDTV is also Samsung, but Samsung also has been known for having Netflix streaming issues.
Does anyone have any opinions here? There are simply no reviews out on the Sammy..

Ken
apw2607's Avatar apw2607 03:16 PM 04-30-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by hearrean View Post

I realize this is not a Samsung thread, but I'm trying to decide between this Sony (790) & the new Sammy BD-E6500. They both appear to have about the same features with the Sammy having Disk to Digital. I've also seen posts within this thread that say the Sony's interface is not the greatest. I've always had Samsung because my HDTV is also Samsung, but Samsung also has been known for having Netflix streaming issues.
Does anyone have any opinions here? There are simply no reviews out on the Sammy..

Ken

You need to be more specific with your question concerning "the interface". Interface of player itself or a particular streaming service ?
khollister's Avatar khollister 05:21 PM 04-30-2012
Got mine today from J&R - Wow! Installed it in the system, set the video options to what I assume is off (0 which also appears to visually match the Direct picture control) and dropped in Fifth Element. Before I said anything, my wife said "this looks better than the Oppo doesn't it?"

The contrast, clarity and sense of dimensionality is spectacular. I played the disc in my Panasonic 110 and the difference was immediately noticeable,

Run, don't walk, and buy one of these.
tmeader's Avatar tmeader 10:35 PM 04-30-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by khollister View Post

Got mine today from J&R - Wow! Installed it in the system, set the video options to what I assume is off (0 which also appears to visually match the Direct picture control) and dropped in Fifth Element. Before I said anything, my wife said "this looks better than the Oppo doesn't it?"

The contrast, clarity and sense of dimensionality is spectacular. I played the disc in my Panasonic 110 and the difference was immediately noticeable,

Run, don't walk, and buy one of these.

Are we talking the Blu-ray or the DVD? If it's the Blu-ray, it's pretty much a fact at this point that (assuming you turned off all "enhancements" on both players) for 1080P content, there's virtually no difference at all in picture quality between any 1080P player on the market. They are ALL just spitting out the exact same digital info, with zero translation. It's like saying that one could notice the difference between two properly working HDMI cables. Now, for DVD content, sure that's an entirely different story, and is HEAVILY dependent on player features.
vegashomes's Avatar vegashomes 11:19 PM 04-30-2012
Are there any west coast online vendors for the S790, Google seems to only show east coast ones.
Tags: Blu Ray Players , Sony , Sony Bdps790 3d Blu Ray Player , Sony Blu Ray Disc Player Bdp S790 , Sony Open Box Bdp S790 3d Blu Ray Disc Player
First ... 14  15  16 17  18  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop