Official 2012 Sony BDP-S790 Thread - Page 21 - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Blu-ray & HD DVD > Blu-ray Players > Official 2012 Sony BDP-S790 Thread

Blu-ray Players

joerod's Avatar joerod
11:14 AM Liked: 117
post #601 of 3603
05-07-2012 | Posts: 22,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by b curry View Post

Agreed, you are quite the guy!

At the end of your performance, do you throw flowers at yourself as well?

Don't have to.
joerod's Avatar joerod
11:15 AM Liked: 117
post #602 of 3603
Quote:

joerod,

The name of the Thread is "Official 2012 Sony BDP-S790 Thread not the "Official I agree with joerod's review at his website 2012 Sony BDP-S790 Thread".

It's a public forum and by that definition there will be different views expressed. People come here for a variety of reasons. One of which is to get some objective information regarding performance.

I don't think Chris or Kris have tried to kill anything. They have expressed their opinions and experience regarding Sony's past performance with their Blu-ray players and explained technology parameters. IMHO they have added some objectivity to the thread, the ability to question what Sony might be doing with this machine, and some understanding of whether or not someone might want to buy this machine.

Self promotion of you or you site is not what I came here to read. If your worried about someone killing the machine, working for Sony's marketing department, or waiting for Sony to send you chocolate then say so. Otherwise, your opinion is welcomed by me and is just that, an opinion. Your opinion is no more or no less an opinion than Chris or Kris' opinion.

The value of anyone's opinion will be with the reader and the facts presented in that opinion.

In case you haven't noticed I'm not the only "fan" of this player. Pretty much every owner here feels like I do.
drhankz's Avatar drhankz
11:37 AM Liked: 50
post #603 of 3603
05-07-2012 | Posts: 6,470
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

In case you haven't noticed I'm not the only "fan" of this player. Pretty much every owner here feels like I do.

I agree with Joe - I bought the S790 on his recommendation.
I only have a Epson 5010 - NO 4K in my future.
The S790 is the Best Blu-Ray Player I have owned.
This is my 6th Player.
dpippel's Avatar dpippel
12:38 PM Liked: 10
post #604 of 3603
05-07-2012 | Posts: 1,123
Quote:

Sorry. I meant from my main Homepage. I will fix that though.

Click under my name to th left (here on avs) then click visit homepage. From there it is easy to find. Down a little and to the right just click on the pic of the 790.

Got it. Thanks!
audiofan1's Avatar audiofan1
01:54 PM Liked: 504
post #605 of 3603
05-07-2012 | Posts: 3,230
Quote:

joerod,

the name of the thread is "official 2012 sony bdp-s790 thread not the "official i agree with joerod's review at his website 2012 sony bdp-s790 thread".

It's a public forum and by that definition there will be different views expressed. People come here for a variety of reasons. One of which is to get some objective information regarding performance.

I don't think chris or kris have tried to kill anything. They have expressed their opinions and experience regarding sony's past performance with their blu-ray players and explained technology parameters. Imho they have added some objectivity to the thread, the ability to question what sony might be doing with this machine, and some understanding of whether or not someone might want to buy this machine.

Self promotion of you or you site is not what i came here to read. If your worried about someone killing the machine, working for sony's marketing department, or waiting for sony to send you chocolate then say so. Otherwise, your opinion is welcomed by me and is just that, an opinion. Your opinion is no more or no less an opinion than chris or kris' opinion.

The value of anyone's opinion will be with the reader and the facts presented in that opinion.

+1
02:12 PM Liked: 504
post #606 of 3603
Quote:

Then why are you reading them here on avs?

No disrespect but it seems you only want this thread for a love the 790 members club only and seem to point at Oppo in a negative way, for not producing a player at the price point you recommend, Do you harbor any resentment towards them? Out of all the players you've tested, you seem to home in on the Oppos and bash them. As I stated before if Sony has produced a stellar player, let the 790's merits speak for themselves as I would love to spend $250 on a second player. But the bashing and belittling cause me to suspect otherwise

P.S "Science" is implied in the name of this forum, I personally am and end user but glad its a part of the discussion to keep us grounded.
Brian-HD's Avatar Brian-HD
02:34 PM Liked: 30
post #607 of 3603
05-07-2012 | Posts: 2,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post

No disrespect but it seems you only want this thread for a love the 790 members club only and seem to point at Oppo in a negative way, for not producing a player at the price point you recommend, Do you harbor any resentment towards them? Out of all the players you've tested, you seem to home in on the Oppos and bash them. As I stated before if Sony has produced a stellar player, let the 790's merits speak for themselves as I would love to spend $250 on a second player. But the bashing and belittling cause me to suspect otherwise

P.S "Science" is implied in the name of this forum, I personally am and end user but glad its a part of the discussion to keep us grounded.

And what are you doing, supporting Oppo?
joerod's Avatar joerod
02:55 PM Liked: 117
post #608 of 3603
Quote:

Actually that couldn't be further from the truth. I have been an original BETA tester for Oppo and have worked closely with them from their blu ray start. I also Reviewed the 93 and gave it two thumbs up when it first came out. I expect them to answer with a strong release (most likely less expensive) sometime in the near future. I am not the only one to point out 720p with Netflix and inferior 3D. It was bound to happen. Progress that is. When someday someone would release a player that might surpass what you have. Besides it is going on two years. The fact Oppo has held it together this long is a huge compliment in this business.

Bottom of their page. See how much I bash them...

http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-b...93-Review.aspx
Smackrabbit's Avatar Smackrabbit
03:12 PM Liked: 32
post #609 of 3603
05-07-2012 | Posts: 895
The Oppo produces bit-perfect 3D. It isn't possible for it to be inferior when it's reference quality. Perhaps you prefer a non-standard image, but that doesn't make the standard "inferior", it means you have different tastes.
joerod's Avatar joerod
03:21 PM Liked: 117
post #610 of 3603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smackrabbit View Post

The Oppo produces bit-perfect 3D. It isn't possible for it to be inferior when it's reference quality. Perhaps you prefer a non-standard image, but that doesn't make the standard "inferior", it means you have different tastes.

Let's just say the 790 is easier on the eyes with 3D. With its settings it is able to achieve better 3D. Again, others agreed with me. I even did an A/B with guests here and they preferred the 790 as well. I am going to stop defending the 790 here since I am wasting my time doing so against people who do not even have one. I have better things to do. Seriously.

I guess we need an "official" owner's thread for it so those of us that like it are not attacked constantly.
bakerwi's Avatar bakerwi
03:23 PM Liked: 37
post #611 of 3603
05-07-2012 | Posts: 2,861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post

I find the first thing I do is NEVER go to a thread for a product filled with the accounts of a bunch of people that just spent their money on it. I think that works well for getting a general idea on issues it my have but I don't get much more than that unless I know someone specifically in the thread that I know actually knows what he is talking about. And that represents a fairly small number.

All I am trying to do is get meaningful information that will assist me in getting the best out of my purchase. Most of the threads that I belong to achieve this, but I am trying to recall ONE post from this thread that actually mentions something technically to improve mine (mostly my wife) or anyone else's experience with this unit. Maybe I just missed it. However, there is enough of this player is better than my previous or current player on this thread. I know this phenomenon (subjective preferences) occurs on other threads, but the LAST thing that I look for on a thread is help with a buying decision or subjective opinions.

Quote:

I have not tested this player and for all I know it may be the new holy grail. But considering the claims of its performance vs a player that I have tested personally and know its capabilities, I become very suspect at the claims of improvement given the baseline set from the other player. I've been doing this for a long time and have a decent grasp on the subject and the vibe I'm getting from the comments and the wording used to back them up makes me skeptical at best. Especially considering the LONG history of performance in regards to Sony's players, including some of their newest ones.

Some of your postings on other threads have provided meaningful technical information on improving my viewing and/or listening experience and that should be the ultimate purpose of any owners thread, but unfortunately threads get off track from time to time. Maybe this thread will find its way.
03:48 PM Liked: 32
post #612 of 3603
Saying that something that is reference level isn't "inferior" isn't a personal attack, it's an attempt to keep thing accurate. To put it another way let's say reference is the color red. Maybe you prefer an orangish red or a purplish red, or a really overstated red. That's fine, it is your personal preference. But if the Oppo just produces the reference red that doesn't make it inferior product, it just means you prefer something else.
03:52 PM Liked: 30
post #613 of 3603
Quote:

Why don't you get the player and review it? Sony website has in stock as of today. The player has to being doing something that makes most on here prefer the PQ.
04:02 PM Liked: 32
post #614 of 3603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian-HD View Post

Why don't you get the player and review it? Sony website has in stock as of today. The player has to being doing something that makes most on here prefer the PQ.

I've asked for one to review. I have no idea web or if I might get one.
04:03 PM Liked: 30
post #615 of 3603
Quote:

Saying that something that is reference level isn't "inferior" isn't a personal attack, it's an attempt to keep thing accurate. To put it another way let's say reference is the color red. Maybe you prefer an orangish red or a purplish red, or a really overstated red. That's fine, it is your personal preference. But if the Oppo just produces the reference red that doesn't make it inferior product, it just means you prefer something else.

How can you as a professional writer gave an opinion without having the player? You don't know none of this as facts "you prefer an orangish red or a purplish red, or a really overstated red". Over the years, Joe has liked many players from many companies. Oppo has Joe's reviewed on their page.
04:05 PM Liked: 504
post #616 of 3603
Quote:

And what are you doing, supporting Oppo?

Not at all! in fact prior to purchasing the 95 I had an unfounded bias towards them for preference of the likes of Sony,Denon and Pioneer just to name a few, having said that the player spoke for itself and I had a plate full of crowBut have I nothing bad to say about those players as each had there strengths and weaknesses.The 95 is just flat out the best (True) universal player Iv'e come across and the fact it has the measurements to back it up are secondary, as I owned the player before any formal reviews where done. There is no need to support Oppo as there products speak for themselves I'm just a guy who spent his money and got a player that should have cost me tons more
04:12 PM Liked: 504
post #617 of 3603
Quote:

Actually that couldn't be further from the truth. I have been an original BETA tester for Oppo and have worked closely with them from their blu ray start. I also Reviewed the 93 and gave it two thumbs up when it first came out. I expect them to answer with a strong release (most likely less expensive) sometime in the near future. I am not the only one to point out 720p with Netflix and inferior 3D. It was bound to happen. Progress that is. When someday someone would release a player that might surpass what you have. Besides it is going on two years. The fact Oppo has held it together this long is a huge compliment in this business.

Bottom of their page. See how much I bash them...

http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-b...93-Review.aspx

That helps a lot Although I hate to ask for clarification of a view, it helps to have them here with as little obscurity as possible, this really helps more than you know

Regards Jeff.
04:13 PM Liked: 30
post #618 of 3603
Quote:

Not at all! in fact prior to purchasing the 95 I had an unfounded bias towards them for preference of the likes of Sony,Denon and Pioneer just to name a few, having said that the player spoke for itself and I had a plate full of crowBut have I nothing bad to say about those players as each had there strengths and weaknesses.The 95 is just flat out the best (True) universal player Iv'e come across and the fact it has the measurements to back it up are secondary, as I owned the player before any formal reviews where done. There is no need to support Oppo as there products speak for themselves I'm just a guy who spent his money and got a player that should have cost me tons more

$250 vs. $1000
bakerwi's Avatar bakerwi
04:15 PM Liked: 37
post #619 of 3603
Quote:

Great points. I also find it hard to believe that both of these guys would waste time trying to convince folks that this player is not as good as we think or SEE it is. Seriously?

I am using this player with a 4K display so I want the best 1080p image possible heading to it. Mission accomplished. Sorry it beats out a player that is now going on 2 years old. Especially with Streaming and 3D!

Joe,

I don't see where those gentlemen are trying to convince folks that this player is not as good as you or others think or see it is. I have a decent setup and while this player is competent at what it does I don't find it as anything special, but this is just my opinion as others and you have stated yours. There is no right or wrong answer. The gentlemen both mentioned that they have not reviewed the player. If I am not mistaken they eluded to their experience with other Sony models so they seem to have a base line.

I have the utmost respect for those gentlemen and I've read their work and it seems pretty unbiased in my opinion.
bakerwi's Avatar bakerwi
04:21 PM Liked: 37
post #620 of 3603
Quote:

that seems like a disparaging remark joerod.

Chris and kris have taken the time to explain some of the science behind what people are seeing. They have both qualified their remarks by saying it's ok if you like what you're seeing, but don't confuse it for accuracy and the standards of the technology.

Chris and kris have a history of publishing objective product reviews based on observation and backed up with bench testing, comparing product to accepted industry standards. For many, perhaps not all, this kind of reviewing has more value than reviews based on "it's what i see" and "i like it".

+1
Charles R's Avatar Charles R
04:32 PM Liked: 222
post #621 of 3603
05-07-2012 | Posts: 10,258
Quote:

You don't know none of this as facts "you prefer an orangish red or a purplish red, or a really overstated red".

He has every fact he needs to prove the OPPO produces a reference image. As such one can't exceed its performance without endorsing some type of flaw.
04:32 PM Liked: 504
post #622 of 3603
Quote:

$250 vs. $1000

Umm ok, I'll give you for the sake of argument the Sony has a nice picture. But I use my 95 for the following

1.) Ess Sabre dacsx2 for reference 2 channel playback of sacd ,redbook and usb.

2.) 7.1 analog outs

3.) reliability

4.) support

5.) Marvell Qdeo post processing, I'm sure will rival any thing including the Sony
(have you tried them?)

6.) balanced outs

7.) Nice packaging

Now if the Sony had just even 60% of these abilities we could talk but seeing it doesn't its out of its class in these regards. Now all of this at $1000 bucks is the bargin of the decade and history will prove me on this one.
drhankz's Avatar drhankz
04:38 PM Liked: 50
post #623 of 3603
05-07-2012 | Posts: 6,470
Quote:

Umm ok, I'll give you for the sake of argument the Sony has a nice picture. But I use my 95 for the following

2.) 7.1 analog outs

3.) reliability

4.) support

5.) Marvell Qdeo post processing, I'm sure will rival any thing including the Sony
(have you tried them?)

6.) balanced outs

7.) Nice packaging

Now if the Sony had just even 60% of these abilities we could talk but seeing it doesn't its out of its class in these regards. Now all of this at $1000 bucks is the bargin of the decade and history will prove me on this one.

Why would any Next Generation Player support
Outdated technology - it is great that you have
and Oppo for that.

Lets bring back Laser Disk

TIME TO MOVE FORWARD NOT BACKWARDS.
04:41 PM Liked: 32
post #624 of 3603
As I try to get a 790 for testing I'd like to have a record of the settings joe is using for Blu-ray, both 2D and 3D, so I can test each and see what they do with the actual data.
apw2607's Avatar apw2607
04:52 PM Liked: 204
post #625 of 3603
05-07-2012 | Posts: 2,313
Quote:

2.) 7.1 analog outs

3.) reliability

4.) support

(have you tried them?)

6.) balanced outs

7.) Nice packaging

I think it depends on what you consider as important. Streaming is important to me (and i know many others here too) and as such the Sony delivers where as the Oppo does not. It's great that you believe the Oppo is worth $750 more than the S790, for a bunch of old stuff and a nice cardboard box ..... but since money doesn't grow on trees I'm happy I saved $750 even if it means Red isn't "reference" but more a "orangish red".
bakerwi's Avatar bakerwi
04:54 PM Liked: 37
post #626 of 3603
Quote:

Brian,

You are right the player is doing something that makes most on here prefer its PQ and a few are just trying to understand the science behind what is it doing to achieve the PQ that most like. I personally want my transports to put out as close to a reference picture as possible. Unfortunately, this may not be appealing to some, which is ok.

I have the following transports in my main home theater setup. An Oppo BDP-95, a Sony BDP-S5000ES, a Pioneer BDP-51FD and a Denon DVD-5910CI. I also have an Oppo BDP-93 and now the Sony BDP-S790 in my bedroom and 2 Pioneer BDP-320s one in my keeping room and one in my family room. Yeah I know I have a few transports, but I just wanted to make sure that everyone knows there is no bias here. I am actually constructing (1 year to 18 month project) a home theater in an unfinished room in my basement which I am really excited about. 4K has prompted me to do this like I needed a reason.

I know you've been asking me to do a comparison, but there is no room for the Sony in my main setup. What I have in my main setup works for me and while the S790 puts out a competent picture I have seen nothing that would warrant me swapping it in and it would look out of place based on what is currently in the setup.
bakerwi's Avatar bakerwi
04:57 PM Liked: 37
post #627 of 3603
Quote:

$250 vs. $1000

I don't understand the fascination with what one spends for their transport.
05:01 PM Liked: 32
post #628 of 3603
Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post

I think it depends on what you consider as important. Streaming is important to me (and i know many others here too) and as such the Sony delivers where as the Oppo does not. It's great that you believe the Oppo is worth $750 more than the S790, for a bunch of old stuff and a nice cardboard box ..... but since money doesn't grow on trees I'm happy I saved $750 even if it means Red isn't "reference" but more a "orangish red".

The 790 might put out a reference image with the correct settings. The 590 does with the correct settings, so the 790 might as well. The question is that people prefer it to the Oppo, which we know does a reference image, and so if it is different, the options are:

- The display is handling them differently
- The Sony is sending out something other than the reference data
- People are seeing something they want to see

I have no idea which, and so I want to find out. The only thing I take umbrage with is the labeling of any player that's doing reference video as "inferior" or that another one is better, instead of saying they prefer one to the other. I like my Mac laptop, my wife likes her PC, it doesn't make one inferior, they're different tastes.
perrishill1's Avatar perrishill1
05:03 PM Liked: 10
post #629 of 3603
05-07-2012 | Posts: 10
for a 1000 it should sleep with you too. I thought this was a sony thread.
05:05 PM Liked: 30
post #630 of 3603
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerwi View Post

Joe,

I have a decent setup and while this player is competent at what it does I don't find it as anything special, but this is just my opinion as others and you have stated yours. There is no right or wrong answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerwi View Post

Brian,

I know you've been asking me to do a comparison, but there is no room for the Sony in my main setup. What I have in my main setup works for me and while the S790 puts out a competent picture I have seen nothing that would warrant me swapping it in and it would look out of place based on what is currently in the setup.

sorry!
Tags: Blu Ray Players , Sony , Sony Bdps790 3d Blu Ray Player , Sony Blu Ray Disc Player Bdp S790 , Sony Open Box Bdp S790 3d Blu Ray Disc Player

Gear in this thread
Reply Blu-ray Players

Subscribe to this Thread