post #691 of 3559 Old 05-11-2012, 09:26 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post

Since you are in Portland and I am in Vancouver (just over the bridge) I would be happy to bring by any of my 9 players if you were interested in testing them (although none of them are current year models so probably not much point ). Offer stands just the same.

Jason

I appreciate the offer, but between all the equipment coming in for review, and two young kids, I lack the time to do any testing for fun unfortunately.

Chris Heinonen
Senior Editor, Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Displays Editor,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Contributor,
and

ISF Level II Certified Calibrator,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #692 of 3559 Old 05-11-2012, 04:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smackrabbit View Post

I appreciate the offer, but between all the equipment coming in for review, and two young kids, I lack the time to do any testing for fun unfortunately.

Understood, and I resemble that remark, my autistic son keeps me on my toes.

Jason

My Twitch Game Stream [PS4/Xone/PC]...

post #693 of 3559 Old 05-12-2012, 12:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Netflix and S790 owners. Can someone verify this behavior. During Netflix content playback, pushing DISPLAY on the remote would toggle a special overlay showing you the stream quality and audio setting. The problem is, I can't get rid of the overlay once I push the DISPLAY button.

This is odd, because it use to toggle it. Now it just remains on the screen.

Is this the same for you? Not sure what if anything changed. Sony hasn't pushed new firmware out.

I'll post this in the S390/S590 forum too.
post #694 of 3559 Old 05-12-2012, 12:17 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post

Netflix and S790 owners. Can someone verify this behavior. During Netflix content playback, pushing DISPLAY on the remote would toggle a special overlay showing you the stream quality and audio setting.

Are you able to get 1080p with 5.1 audio using the S790 at Netflix when you play a Blu-ray source? If so, how does the picture quality look compared to the real thing?

Calibration Resources:

post #695 of 3559 Old 05-12-2012, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

Netflix and S790 owners. Can someone verify this behavior. During Netflix content playback, pushing DISPLAY on the remote would toggle a special overlay showing you the stream quality and audio setting. The problem is, I can't get rid of the overlay once I push the DISPLAY button.

Is this the same for you? Not sure what if anything changed. Sony hasn't pushed new firmware out.

Seems if you press subtitle(the button underneath the display button) then press display again it goes away. To get it to come back you press subtitle again then display. Weird...

Clark
post #696 of 3559 Old 05-12-2012, 08:15 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 111
I have received about 10 messages from new owners saying how much they love their new 790s this week. I won't say which brands that some mentioned they had previously but I will say

For my latest Reviews and Stuff google -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com
Check out my Dolby Atmos/Surround first take:

post #697 of 3559 Old 05-12-2012, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:

I'm not seeing that behavior. Pressing the Display button toggles the overlay on and off just as it should.

post #698 of 3559 Old 05-12-2012, 07:42 PM

Got the S790 to use for 3D bluray with a non-3D compatible receiver (HK AVR247). I connected HDMI 1 to the LCD (Elite) and HDMI 2 to the receiver and set the audio output to PCM to let the Sony do the decoding. If I have video and audio sent through both outputs, I get only 2 channel PCM audio. If I turn on the separation mode (video through 1 and audio through 2), I get video, but no audio. A couple of times the video had a red tint, turning things on and off cleared that up.

If I connect HDMI 1 to the receiver and output from the receiver to the television then the audio is output as multi channel PCM, but in that mode I won't get 3D.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Kerry
post #699 of 3559 Old 05-13-2012, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Does anyone know if this device can stream Netflix at 1080p24? If it cannot can you set the output resolution to 1080i when streaming Netflix, Vudu or Amazon? I have a Roku XS and it only offers a 1080p60 mode which looks great but I like to watch movies at 1080p24.
post #700 of 3559 Old 05-13-2012, 09:22 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerryk View Post

Got the S790 to use for 3D bluray with a non-3D compatible receiver (HK AVR247). I connected HDMI 1 to the LCD (Elite) and HDMI 2 to the receiver and set the audio output to PCM to let the Sony do the decoding. If I have video and audio sent through both outputs, I get only 2 channel PCM audio. If I turn on the separation mode (video through 1 and audio through 2), I get video, but no audio. A couple of times the video had a red tint, turning things on and off cleared that up.

If I connect HDMI 1 to the receiver and output from the receiver to the television then the audio is output as multi channel PCM, but in that mode I won't get 3D.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Kerry

HDMI separation mode needs to be ON in System settings

I have Downmix set to Surround under Audio settings

BD Audio Mix Setting should be OFF under Audio settings

There seems to be two settings in Audio that potentially turns off bitstreaming - Audio (HDMI) and Dolby Digital/DTS. How do you have those set?

post #701 of 3559 Old 05-13-2012, 12:25 PM

I'm in need of a BD player for a second TV I have for the living room. It's a non-3D, LED Samsung 55" 6000 series that was left to me by my father. It's only a few months old. By reading this thread and the 390/590 owner's thread, I've become well aware of the feature differences between these three models.

I don't need 3D(no 3D on the Samsung)and I won't be putting a surround setup in the living room in the near future, thanks to the significant other's view that I've already taken over her family room with my equipment there... My main setup is in the family room with a Panasonic plasma, Oppo 93, and a 7.1 system.

The living room looks to need nothing more than the 390 but this thread has me wondering. With respect to the 590, its only differences that I may like/need would be the front display and second USB port. I wouldn't need the 4k or dual HDMI outputs of the 790, but would I see improved PQ and better streaming with the 790 over the 390/590?
post #702 of 3559 Old 05-13-2012, 01:20 PM

Thanks for the info. I have:

HDMI separation - On
Downmix - Surround
BD Audio Mix - Off

Audio (HDMI) - PCM
Dolby Digital/DTS - PCM

Still no audio, I'm wondering if it's the receiver.

Kerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by khollister View Post

HDMI separation mode needs to be ON in System settings

I have Downmix set to Surround under Audio settings

BD Audio Mix Setting should be OFF under Audio settings

There seems to be two settings in Audio that potentially turns off bitstreaming - Audio (HDMI) and Dolby Digital/DTS. How do you have those set?

post #703 of 3559 Old 05-13-2012, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:

Got the S790 to use for 3D bluray with a non-3D compatible receiver (HK AVR247). I connected HDMI 1 to the LCD (Elite) and HDMI 2 to the receiver and set the audio output to PCM to let the Sony do the decoding. If I have video and audio sent through both outputs, I get only 2 channel PCM audio.

Hi kerryk, possbile HDMI handshake issue. What happens if you disconnect the HDMI-1 from LCD with the above setup? Do you get multi channel PCM?
post #704 of 3559 Old 05-13-2012, 02:20 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the info. I have:

HDMI separation - On
Downmix - Surround
BD Audio Mix - Off

Audio (HDMI) - PCM
Dolby Digital/DTS - PCM

Still no audio, I'm wondering if it's the receiver.

Kerry

Actually, I would try Audio (HDMI) set to Auto and leave the DD/DTS set to PCM. I reread the manual and it is very sketchy how the two settings work together.

If the separation is working properly in the Sony, you should see a warning message on the video of HDMI 2 (thru the AVR and to a TV input via the AVR HDMI out) that basically says "you have HDMI separation on, the video ain't on this output, stupid". Look at the video out of the AVR and make sure you see that.

When I get a minute or two this evening, I'll try putting mine into PCM and see what happens with my Denon.

stand by

post #705 of 3559 Old 05-13-2012, 02:48 PM

OK - did some testing. Turns out with my Sony and Denon 4311 AVR, the Audio (HDMI) setting is the one that forces it into PCM. The DD/DTS setting doesn't seem to do anything. If the Audio (HDMI) setting is on AUTO, the DD/DTS value makes no difference - the player bitstreams anyway.

So on mine, putting Audio (HDMI) to PCM forces the player to send PCM (and I get MULTI CH IN on the Denon display). Setting that to AUTO gives me DOLBY TRUEHD on the AVR regardless of the DD/DTS value in the Sony.

Sounds like you have an AVR problem (or HDCP issue as suggested by jchin). It should work the way you have the Sony set up.

post #706 of 3559 Old 05-13-2012, 03:14 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 111
I had my 790 paired with a 4311 with no issues. The mix audio must be off on the 790. Otherwise I would get PCM as well on the 4311.

For my latest Reviews and Stuff google -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com
Check out my Dolby Atmos/Surround first take:

post #707 of 3559 Old 05-13-2012, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imws View Post

Does anyone know if this device can stream Netflix at 1080p24? If it cannot can you set the output resolution to 1080i when streaming Netflix, Vudu or Amazon? I have a Roku XS and it only offers a 1080p60 mode which looks great but I like to watch movies at 1080p24.

No. 1080p24 is not supported for IP Content or DLNA/USB.

Yes you can hard set the output resolution to 1080i
post #708 of 3559 Old 05-13-2012, 06:18 PM

Thanks very much for the testing. The HK AVR247 doesn't support Dolby TrueHD or DTS MA so I had my previous player (PS3) do the decoding and send out Multi Ch IN to the AVR. I assume I need to set the S790 to do the same (Audio (HDMI) to PCM). As I mentioned if I connect only HDMI 1 to the receiver and then connect the AVR to the display then the audio works okay.

Tried the suggestion by jchin to disconnect the HDMI 1 connection, but it didn't resolve the problem.

I'll try calling Sony and posting in the Receiver's forum.

Kerry

Quote:

OK - did some testing. Turns out with my Sony and Denon 4311 AVR, the Audio (HDMI) setting is the one that forces it into PCM. The DD/DTS setting doesn't seem to do anything. If the Audio (HDMI) setting is on AUTO, the DD/DTS value makes no difference - the player bitstreams anyway.

So on mine, putting Audio (HDMI) to PCM forces the player to send PCM (and I get MULTI CH IN on the Denon display). Setting that to AUTO gives me DOLBY TRUEHD on the AVR regardless of the DD/DTS value in the Sony.

Sounds like you have an AVR problem (or HDCP issue as suggested by jchin). It should work the way you have the Sony set up.

post #709 of 3559 Old 05-13-2012, 08:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breather View Post

With respect to the 590, its only differences that I may like/need would be the front display and second USB port. I wouldn't need the 4k or dual HDMI outputs of the 790, but would I see improved PQ and better streaming with the 790 over the 390/590?

With Blu-ray content, objectively, there would be no difference most likely. The 590 does 1080p Blu-ray content perfectly, and I'll assume the 790 can but my review unit isn't here yet. Subjectively, some people like the extra "enhancements" the 790 offers for picture control, I offer that on Blu-ray those might enhance one aspect of the image, but will harm another aspect.

Since I don't have the 790 yet, I can't comment on the others. I really can't comment on streaming, as no service has test content I can use to objective measure them, and don't seem inclined to offer that.

Chris Heinonen

Displays Editor,

Contributor,
and

post #710 of 3559 Old 05-14-2012, 01:46 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 27
SMACK,

can you comment on the setting YCbCr/RGB setting? meaning whats best? or if you cant "say" which is best, just educate me on the importance of this setting. if this is to much to discuss, i completely understand. just wanted to ask.

its :
Auto
YCbCr 4:2:2
YCbCr 4:4:4
RGB

ive a pana plasma 50 inch 3D. does setting this to anything other than AUTO make any difference? will the display indeed tell the player which setting it prefers/can handle?
post #711 of 3559 Old 05-14-2012, 02:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marctronixx View Post

SMACK,

can you comment on the setting YCbCr/RGB setting? meaning whats best? or if you cant "say" which is best, just educate me on the importance of this setting. if this is to much to discuss, i completely understand. just wanted to ask.

its :
Auto
RGB

ive a pana plasma 50 inch 3D. does setting this to anything other than AUTO make any difference? will the display indeed tell the player which setting it prefers/can handle?

You may gain some insight from this article:
http://www.spearsandmunsil.com/artic...olorspace.html

Clark
post #712 of 3559 Old 05-14-2012, 03:56 AM

Quote:

Thanks very much for the testing. The HK AVR247 doesn't support Dolby TrueHD or DTS MA so I had my previous player (PS3) do the decoding and send out Multi Ch IN to the AVR. I assume I need to set the S790 to do the same (Audio (HDMI) to PCM). As I mentioned if I connect only HDMI 1 to the receiver and then connect the AVR to the display then the audio works okay.

Tried the suggestion by jchin to disconnect the HDMI 1 connection, but it didn't resolve the problem.

I'll try calling Sony and posting in the Receiver's forum.

Kerry

I would be curious to know what happens if you leave the Audio setting on AUTO - in theory the player should switch to PCM since the AVR doesn't support the HD formats.

Just pulling the HDMI 1 connection while the AVR and Sony are on might not resolve an HDCP issue. Try shutting everything down, disconnect HDMI 1 and then fire up the Sony and HK as a test.

post #713 of 3559 Old 05-14-2012, 06:00 AM

Liked: 36
Does anyone know the audio specs from the sony? Does it output 24bit/96 for instance?
post #714 of 3559 Old 05-14-2012, 07:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marctronixx View Post

SMACK,

its :
Auto
RGB

The Spears and Munsil link that someone else posted is the first thing to read. The Auto setting will use the EDID from your display to determine what colorspace is correct for it, but there are caveats for that:

- The EDID can be wrong
- You can test it yourself with Spears and Munsil to determine it
- Player might be better at one setting than another, and so even if the EDID is correct you are best to override it

A consumer display has to support all three modes for input, and so they can all handle them, it's just a question of which they handle best. If I had a current Sony player, I'd be using one of the YCbCr settings as I know that RGB is broken on the S590, and I'm going to get to test the S790 soon to see if that is the same.

Chris Heinonen

Displays Editor,

Contributor,
and

post #715 of 3559 Old 05-14-2012, 07:23 AM

I have yet to see the new S790 or Panasonic unit. I am ready to upgrade to a new BD player and I saw the S780 being sold at FRYS. The price was $199 and included the new Harry Potter 3D movies as well as a Monster Cable HMI 1.4 cable. My current 3 year Panasonic unit has served me well, but it is very slow and it was an entry level at the time... I just finished my basement and this is what I ended up with:

FRONTs : KEF IQ70 and IQ60C
SURROUND: 4 ENERGY INCEILING RC series speakers
AVR: DENON 1712 (did not want network with my receiver) Just pure awesome sound
TV: PANASONIC 55ST30

BLU RAY PLAYER: BD35

With the current set up, I have watched 4 Blu rays total and the sound and picture was pretty good. Having said that, I would have to assume that a newer BD player such as the ones above would be MUCH BETTER as far as those two are concerned. Correct? In addition I would gain the 3d capibility as well as the streaming options. ANy suggestions? Would the S780 be a great choice especially at hte price and package being sold? Buy either one of the other close to retail price. Wait until Black Friday or end of the year?
post #716 of 3559 Old 05-14-2012, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

For folks that have a Sony Rewards card, the S790 is on sale today at Sony Rewards for $200. A $50 saving.
post #717 of 3559 Old 05-14-2012, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrminsky View Post

I have yet to see the new S790 or Panasonic unit. I am ready to upgrade to a new BD player and I saw the S780 being sold at FRYS. The price was $199 and included the new Harry Potter 3D movies as well as a Monster Cable HMI 1.4 cable. My current 3 year Panasonic unit has served me well, but it is very slow and it was an entry level at the time... I just finished my basement and this is what I ended up with:

FRONTs : KEF IQ70 and IQ60C
SURROUND: 4 ENERGY INCEILING RC series speakers
AVR: DENON 1712 (did not want network with my receiver) Just pure awesome sound
TV: PANASONIC 55ST30

BLU RAY PLAYER: BD35

With the current set up, I have watched 4 Blu rays total and the sound and picture was pretty good. Having said that, I would have to assume that a newer BD player such as the ones above would be MUCH BETTER as far as those two are concerned. Correct? In addition I would gain the 3d capibility as well as the streaming options. ANy suggestions? Would the S780 be a great choice especially at hte price and package being sold? Buy either one of the other close to retail price. Wait until Black Friday or end of the year?

$200 is not a good price.
post #718 of 3559 Old 05-14-2012, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrminsky View Post

I

With the current set up, I have watched 4 Blu rays total and the sound and picture was pretty good. Having said that, I would have to assume that a newer BD player such as the ones above would be MUCH BETTER as far as those two are concerned. Correct?

No! If you bitstream DD Tru HD and DTS HD Master to your Denon via HDMI your Denon and your speakers determine your audio quality, the players act as a transport to the AVR. The same for picture quality, the player only acts as a transport to your Panny ST30 for Blu-ray. You will see improved DVD upscaling with either player and improved load times. Both the Panny 500 and the Sony 790 or 780 are overkill for what you want,
post #719 of 3559 Old 05-14-2012, 06:06 PM

Quote:

I would be curious to know what happens if you leave the Audio setting on AUTO - in theory the player should switch to PCM since the AVR doesn't support the HD formats.

Just pulling the HDMI 1 connection while the AVR and Sony are on might not resolve an HDCP issue. Try shutting everything down, disconnect HDMI 1 and then fire up the Sony and HK as a test.

Okay, I did more testing and believe that it is a handshake issue.

With Separation mode on:

Powered everything down, disconnected HDMI 1 and started the S790 and the AVR to check for audio (a little tough with no video). No audio played.

Connected another cable from the AVR HDMI out to a second HDMI input on the LCD and disconnected the HDMI 1. The AVR reported that it didn't have any video signal and couldn't process further.

With Separation mode off (video and audio out of both HDMI)

Video plays on LCD, audio plays, but only as 2 channel PCM.

If I disconnect HDMI 1 from the LCD and view what is coming out of the AVR instead, then I get the proper Multi Ch PCM if I set the S790 HDMI to force PCM. If I set the S790 to Auto, then the AVR switches to Dolby Digital.

It appears that the AVR needs to see video and audio coming in and being passed out of its HDMI out to process things properly. There is a firmware update available for the AVR 247, but I'll have to see if I can dig up an RS232 cable to do that. The AVR247 threads indicate its a finicky process, but I guess it's worth a try before I look at getting a new receiver.

Let me know if anyone has other suggestions. Thanks.

Kerry
post #720 of 3559 Old 05-15-2012, 06:42 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Last night while watching a movie the player shut down and restarted by itself. This is like the third this has happened. Has anyone experienced this?
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Sony , Sony Bdps790 3d Blu Ray Player , Sony Blu Ray Disc Player Bdp S790 , Sony Open Box Bdp S790 3d Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page