Official 2012 Sony BDP-S790 Thread - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 3552 Old 05-15-2012, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
It hasn't happened to me but in HDMI control there is parm for shutting off the player when the TV connected to HDMI 1 is turned off. I would set that value in the player to off. It's located under Setup->System Settings->HDMI: Linked to TV-off. Toggle the value to off and see if that stops the behavior.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 3552 Old 05-15-2012, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

I have received about 10 messages from new owners saying how much they love their new 790s this week. I won't say which brands that some mentioned they had previously but I will say

Exactly what does this have to do with the price of tea in China??

No one refuted that the Sony was bad. Both Chris and I explicitly said we haven't tested it. What we had issue with is you saying that there is something wrong with the Oppo that can be improved upon (aside from streaming, which at the end of the day I could care less about, especially considering the overwhelming amount of devices that one can use for streaming content in HT). Subjectively I have no issue with someone saying that such and such tweak made a SUBJECTIVE improvement in their system to their tastes. But saying there is something wrong or inferior or outdated in the Oppo at this point is completely false since OBJECTIVELY you can measure for faults and there are none to be had.

Joe's reviews cater specifically to the subjective side of reviewing, and there is nothing wrong with that so long as you understand the method and the results are based on a given condition (Joe's Room) and his personal preferences. They aren't based on any objective testing that I've seen from the reviews that I've actually read on his blog. But if you are going to make claims stating that the performance of one unit is better than the other, you have to expect some reaction from folks that do objective reviews that would completely refute what you're saying. This is on par with saying that somehow the Earth is flat because when I look around it looks that way (subjective) rather than figuring out that it isn't (objective). Coarse comparitive, but similar.

Senior Video Editor
Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity

Click Here To See My Current Setup
post #723 of 3552 Old 05-15-2012, 02:31 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 100
I only posted that because more and more people are sending me messages stating they agree with my findings. Sorry if it bothered you (which obviously it did). I am finishing my Review of the Darblet which I already know most videophiles will hate.

And you brought up Oppo not me. I did not even say them in my post you quoted.

Last point. So the Oppo 93 is still the one and they won't have a replacement for it ever? It can't be improved upon? It's going on two years. Something tells me even Oppo will release a better player eventually. And just because you don't care about 720p versus 1080p (Netflix) doesn't mean others don't. Hell, even my Wife wants the better Netflix when she watches her shows. Her exact words. Again like you said, personal tastes. I would not being doing the Sony 790 justice if I did not point out that pretty large difference. Isn't that being objective...

Have a nice day.

Build your own Concession Stand Counter for cheap! Search -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com

Check out these new Lighted Cup Holders:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1402680301175
post #724 of 3552 Old 05-15-2012, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 413
Quote:

I only posted that because more and more people are sending me messages stating they agree with my findings. Sorry if it bothered you (which obviously it did). I am finishing my Review of the Darblet which I already know most videophiles will hate.

Last point. So the Oppo 93 is still the one and they won't have a replacement for it ever? It can't be improved upon? It's going on two years. Something tells me even Oppo will release a better player eventually. And just because you don't care about 720p versus 1080p (Netflix) doesn't mean others don't. Hell, even my Wife wants the better Netflix when she watches her shows. Her exact words. Again like you said, personal tastes. I would not being doing the Sony 790 justice if I did not point out that pretty large difference. Isn't that being objective...

Have a nice day.

Sorry to say but your post have opened this can of worms, because of the simple fact you challenged the reference standard ( wither its Oppo or Denon or others that meet it) and almost proclaimed the Sony as the new defacto not reference but a new reference standard If the objective reviews back up your claims as the envelope has been pushed via the Sony that's a win for all of us but if its only a matter of exaggerating or any form of alteration of the reference signal, then your assessment leads many astray as a reviewer. It would be one thing to say I like what the Sony does as far as its picture adjustment parameters but also meets the industry reference standard as well
post #725 of 3552 Old 05-15-2012, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 193
New firmware available today folks

M13.R.0369

Not noticed any changes.
post #726 of 3552 Old 05-15-2012, 03:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 155
Guys there truly is no reason for the bickering.

While I agree with Chris & Kris on the objective measures it's very obvious that Joe did not list any actual/factual measures and as such it is his opinion in his review that model A looks/performs better than model B... it's plainly obvious to me that it is simply his opinion (no reading between the lines is required and I did not see any post that claimed the Oppo was not a reference player). AVS is full of opinions, and even much of what we consider to be AV truth is based upon particular Professionals opinions. As an example THX and ISF disagree on proper calibration procedure... gamut before grayscale or grayscale before gamut, who's correct, do we have objective measures to prove which is the 'proper' method.

If any/all reviews required objective measures to 'back-up' all comments made then any AV site would be in serious doubt as a reliable/credible source of information.

Jason
post #727 of 3552 Old 05-15-2012, 03:42 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post

While I agree with Chris & Kris on the objective measures it's very obvious that Joe did not list any actual/factual measures and as such it is his opinion in his review that model A looks/performs better than model B... it's plainly obvious to me that it is simply his opinion (no reading between the lines is required and I did not see any post that claimed the Oppo was not a reference player). AVS is full of opinions, and even much of what we consider to be AV truth is based upon particular Professionals opinions. As an example THX and ISF disagree on proper calibration procedure... gamut before grayscale or grayscale before gamut, who's correct, do we have objective measures to prove which is the 'proper' method.

If any/all reviews required objective measures to 'back-up' all comments made then any AV site would be in serious doubt as a reliable/credible source of information.

Jason

I have been following thread for awhile. Great post!
post #728 of 3552 Old 05-15-2012, 03:51 PM

I noticed with Inception that the resume playback not working.
post #729 of 3552 Old 05-15-2012, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Have a nice day.

Doesn't bother me at all, it just doesn't do anything to prove your point that the Oppo has something wrong with it, which is the only point I have issue with.

I am quite sure that Oppo will release a replacement to the 93 at some point. It will probably feature some different streaming options or updates to the ones it has and some other features. But the core performance of its Blu-ray playback (2D or 3D) will probably be identical as there isn't anything to fix. If it ain't broke kind of thing. I ran into this same issue with the recent Panasonic player I just reviewed. Last year's already had flawless Blu-ray playback (as good as any Oppo player) and this year's was the same. Just new extra features like different streaming and what not.

As for the Netflix, that is completely relevant. If you want a player that playback Netflix at 1080p, the Oppo is definitely not for you. But as a 2D or a 3D Blu-ray player, I would like to know where its faults lie that you say are improved upon by the Sony, other than from a subjective point of view. Had you presented it subjectively the first time around, we wouldn't even be discussing this. And on that note, this isn't something I started. You posted that the Oppo was an inferior player to the Sony in the VW1000ES thread. I have no issue with you saying the Sony is a great player, I just want to know what is wrong with the Oppo that you're saying the Sony does better that has any objective merit at all.

Senior Video Editor

post #730 of 3552 Old 05-15-2012, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Now that you mention it........

Senior Video Editor

post #731 of 3552 Old 05-15-2012, 04:12 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post

Doesn't bother me at all, it just doesn't do anything to prove your point that the Oppo has something wrong with it, which is the only point I have issue with.

I am quite sure that Oppo will release a replacement to the 93 at some point. It will probably feature some different streaming options or updates to the ones it has and some other features. But the core performance of its Blu-ray playback (2D or 3D) will probably be identical as there isn't anything to fix. If it ain't broke kind of thing. I ran into this same issue with the recent Panasonic player I just reviewed. Last year's already had flawless Blu-ray playback (as good as any Oppo player) and this year's was the same. Just new extra features like different streaming and what not.

As for the Netflix, that is completely relevant. If you want a player that playback Netflix at 1080p, the Oppo is definitely not for you. But as a 2D or a 3D Blu-ray player, I would like to know where its faults lie that you say are improved upon by the Sony, other than from a subjective point of view. Had you presented it subjectively the first time around, we wouldn't even be discussing this. And on that note, this isn't something I started. You posted that the Oppo was an inferior player to the Sony in the VW1000ES thread. I have no issue with you saying the Sony is a great player, I just want to know what is wrong with the Oppo that you're saying the Sony does better that has any objective merit at all.

I have never said the Oppo was a bad player. Not even close. I just prefer the 790 over it with its image enhancements. Especially with 3D. You can do more to the image which I find (as well as others) to make the image pop more. Motion is improved as well with 3D and Sony's motion enhancement. I Reviewed the Oppo 93 almost 2 years ago and was very favorable of it.

http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-b...93-Review.aspx

Just so happens about two years later I like the Sony 790 somewhat better. Not just the 1080p versus 720p Netflix which is a big difference on larger screens. I also prefer it with Blu ray 2D and 3D. Just my taste.

Have you even checked out the 790 yet? Then why are you still using the same debate points as last week?

Build your own Concession Stand Counter for cheap! Search -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com

post #732 of 3552 Old 05-15-2012, 04:14 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Jason

Perfect.

post #733 of 3552 Old 05-15-2012, 04:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Now that you mention it........

Oh come on Kris, every opinion has value and I have valued yours for years even without any objective measure.

Jason
post #734 of 3552 Old 05-15-2012, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by NP09 View Post

The BD disk (i'm assuming you're referring to BD) itself needs to support resume. Do you know if it supports resume on other BD players?
post #735 of 3552 Old 05-15-2012, 04:44 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 463
Quote:

Oh come on Kris, every opinion has value and I have valued yours for years even without any objective measure.

Jason

post #736 of 3552 Old 05-15-2012, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post

The BD disk (i'm assuming you're referring to BD) itself needs to support resume. Do you know if it supports resume on other BD players?

Yes! This BD does have resume playback. I also checked Sucker Punch. This might be WB titles only.
post #737 of 3552 Old 05-15-2012, 05:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

Certainly, no matter if it is right or wrong every opinion can have value to someone and to think otherwise is an illogical approach seeing how the 'right or wrong' can often be based upon an opinion.

Jason
post #738 of 3552 Old 05-15-2012, 05:22 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post

Quote:

Yes! This BD does have resume playback. I also checked Sucker Punch. This might be WB titles only.

+1

Resume playback for "Inception" works fine on my BDP-S770.
post #739 of 3552 Old 05-15-2012, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Jason

That was your first mistake!

Senior Video Editor

post #740 of 3552 Old 05-15-2012, 05:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Well just got one from JR and hooked it up and I'm switching back and forth between an older LG streaming Vudu HDX and this new Sony and I really think the Sony is noticeably softer. Whereas film grain is visible on the LG it is not on the Sony. Oh what a disappointment after reading all these pages here.
post #741 of 3552 Old 05-15-2012, 05:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

That was your first mistake!

LOL, nice one!

Jason
post #742 of 3552 Old 05-15-2012, 05:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

Certainly, no matter if it is right or wrong every opinion can have value to someone and to think otherwise is an illogical approach seeing how the 'right or wrong' can often be based upon an opinion.

Jason

I pretty much agree with some of your posts above, but not this one. E.g., when Greg Rogers gives his opinion/evaluation of a projector, it carries a lot more weight for me than just about any others. All opinions are not created equal.
post #743 of 3552 Old 05-15-2012, 06:32 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 463
Quote:

Jason

In my opinion(), the value of an opinion can vary from extraordinary helpful to abysmally destructive. It's usually helpful to use logic when attempting to discern the best of those opinions that are available.

In this setting, the range of opinion is probably from helpful to misleading when the opinion of others leads to spending home entertainment money. For an individual to attempt to incorporate all opinions, on a given topic, into a plan of action would be illogical. That's my opinion.
post #744 of 3552 Old 05-15-2012, 07:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerwill View Post

I pretty much agree with some of your posts above, but not this one. E.g., when Greg Rogers gives his opinion/evaluation of a projector, it carries a lot more weight for me than just about any others. All opinions are not created equal.

So you disagree with something that was not stated...?

I never said what you imply and agree that some opinions carry more weight than others, but consider it is more often the end users giving the most in-depth opinions and honest feedback regarding a particular product versus the pro reviewer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

In my opinion(), the value of an opinion can vary from extraordinary helpful to abysmally destructive. It's usually helpful to use logic when attempting to discern the best of those opinions that are available.

In this setting, the range of opinion is probably from helpful to misleading when the opinion of others leads to spending home entertainment money. For an individual to attempt to incorporate all opinions, on a given topic, into a plan of action would be illogical. That's my opinion.

I see we have different mindsets here, you are cup is half empty and I am cup is half full. I see value in all opinions in the context of this thread (the opinion that player A looks better that player B) and obviously have to discern which opinions/reviews are helpful to me, this is a given, but this does not mean that others will come to the same conclusion that I have regarding those same opinions (so all opinions can have value to someone).

I think we have strayed the thread far enough OT now and should let it get back to what it is here for... the Sony S790.

My attempt at curtailing the bickering only lead to more of it, lol.

Regards,
Jason
post #745 of 3552 Old 05-15-2012, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iain- View Post

+1

resume playback for "inception" works fine on my bdp-s770.

All of my WB titles don't have resume playback.
post #746 of 3552 Old 05-16-2012, 02:50 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm a big fan of Greg Rodgers...bought several products that he reviewed and I was never disappointed. I'm on my third BluRay player in the last 2 months because I've had issues with them. Needless to say the blinding praises and glorified reviews in the BluRay forum are misleading to say the least. There are lots of useful threads and helpful posts in the forum but when we are dealing with items that are under $1000, the reviews are just not worth reading, buy with a good retailer so that you can return it of it doesn't work out. At least I can get my money back, the lost time reading this thread is gone forever
post #747 of 3552 Old 05-16-2012, 03:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Run for the hills when they start saying stuff like "the upconversion of DVD to 1080p looks like HD"... I'll take two bottles of the snake oil please...
post #748 of 3552 Old 05-16-2012, 03:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by imws View Post

I'm a big fan of Greg Rodgers...bought several products that he reviewed and I was never disappointed. I'm on my third BluRay player in the last 2 months because I've had issues with them. Needless to say the blinding praises and glorified reviews in the BluRay forum are misleading to say the least. There are lots of useful threads and helpful posts in the forum but when we are dealing with items that are under $1000, the reviews are just not worth reading, buy with a good retailer so that you can return it of it doesn't work out. At least I can get my money back, the lost time reading this thread is gone forever

Sony has a 30 days return.
post #749 of 3552 Old 05-16-2012, 06:06 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by imws View Post

Run for the hills when they start saying stuff like "the upconversion of DVD to 1080p looks like HD"... I'll take two bottles of the snake oil please...

Quite right, that.

It's all down to quality of mastering of DVD though. I've a separate DVD player going to an external VP for this and a few titles do indeed look HD, but most do not.
post #750 of 3552 Old 05-16-2012, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 360
DVDs have a resolution of 768x480 (if they're NTSC; PAL and SECAM are 768x540). That's less than half the maximum HD resolution of 1920x1080. When DVDs have been recorded by carefully converting a high quality HD or film source, they can look very good indeed, better than Blu-ray discs which have been generated from poor sources, or than highly compressed "HD" cable video.

On the other hand, if a DVD was mastered from a VHS tape (I have a commercial pressing like that), it can look absurdly bad.

Selden
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Sony , Sony Bdps790 3d Blu Ray Player , Sony Blu Ray Disc Player Bdp S790 , Sony Open Box Bdp S790 3d Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page