post #901 of 3552 Old 05-26-2012, 04:16 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by millerwill View Post

You also, of course, need a 4K display, such as the Sony 1000ES or the JVC RS55 4K-lite. Sending a 4K source to a 1080p display will not do it.

I wouldn't even call the JVC 4K lite as you can't send it a 4k image over any input. To me the main advantages of it are better pixel fill and the advanced panel alignment but a review unit just arrived so I'll find out more this week.

Chris Heinonen
Senior Editor, Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity, www.hometheaterhifi.com
Displays Editor, AnandTech.com
Contributor, HDGuru.com and Wirecutter.com
ISF Level II Certified Calibrator, ReferenceHomeTheater.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 3552 Old 05-26-2012, 04:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smackrabbit View Post

I wouldn't even call the JVC 4K lite as you can't send it a 4k image over any input. To me the main advantages of it are better pixel fill and the advanced panel alignment but a review unit just arrived so I'll find out more this week.

Yes, thanks for making that clear. It can only accept 1080p input, and then does e-shifting to produce its 4K-lite display.
post #903 of 3552 Old 05-26-2012, 04:25 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantas View Post

Dual HDMI scarce usage? Bit Mapping ain't working? Dual Core processor advantage doubts?
Any one can add something on these things?
Where are the u$s 100 plus over the BDP-S590?????

Dual HDMI outputs can be very useful for some. The main reason would be the desire for 3D but an equal or stronger desire to retain a current AVR that doesn't do 3D.

A second non-3D reason might be handshake problems in an otherwise very good AVR.

I have a player that has dual HDMI outputs, but I don't expect to ever need both of them.
post #904 of 3552 Old 05-26-2012, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Regarding SBM, has anyone tested whether it is working or not? If so, can you point to some movies/scenes you verified it on?
post #905 of 3552 Old 05-26-2012, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 35
SBM White Papers

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

Oppo BDP-105, Denon DVD-5910CI, Cambridge 752BD, Cambridge 640C V2

Paradigm Signature S8, Paradigm Signature ADP1

Paradigm Signature ADP3, Paradigm Signature C5

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Oppo BDP-93, BDP-103D, Pioneer BDP-320

Sony BDP-S790

post #906 of 3552 Old 05-26-2012, 07:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerwi View Post

SBM White Papers

1) The link's messed up (need to remove 'AVS-vb' at the end of the URL).

2) That's about audio SBM, not video. While conceptually similar, it's a very different process.

3) I understand how the technology is supposed to work. I'm asking if anyone has any good reference material to actually test it out ... and whether anyone has actually tested it?

So far, I am not seeing a notable improvement in the problem scenes I've tested thus far.
post #907 of 3552 Old 05-26-2012, 07:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerwi View Post

SBM White Papers

That link is for their Super Bit Mapping for audio, which is a mastering process. Super Bit Mapping for video is totally different and is their way of processing gradients and such to smooth them out. Sony really could have picked a new name.

Chris Heinonen
Senior Editor, Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity, www.hometheaterhifi.com
Displays Editor, AnandTech.com
Contributor, HDGuru.com and Wirecutter.com
ISF Level II Certified Calibrator, ReferenceHomeTheater.com
post #908 of 3552 Old 05-26-2012, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

As an update to my two issues, I did some testing using Planet Earth as referenced here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6&pp=30&page=6

First off, bookmarking does work for Planet Earth. Not sure what the issue is with X-Men and Alien. Hopefully it was just dumb luck I hit two problem discs right off the bat ... and most discs actually will work. Time will tell for that.

Regarding the SBM testing though, I tried a handful of the scenes mentioned. Any of the ones that had pretty obvious banding I tested with both SBM off and on. Never saw a particularly notable improvement. If there was one it was rather subtle. Certainly not enough to eliminate it at least.

I wonder if the cases I've been testing are such severe examples of posterization that they really can't be helped since setting the granularity that large would hit way too many non-posterized situations and serious hose up the image? Maybe I need to find something a bit more subtle? It's disappointing if that's the case, but then again it wouldn't be the tech's fault. You can't chrome plate a turd.
post #909 of 3552 Old 05-26-2012, 08:23 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Thank you Raistlin. 4K is now out of my list. In 2 or 3 years will see...

That's exactly what I need to know. Now I need to know if BDP-S590 have Opera too.

Thank you again for your sincerity. Dual HDMI scarce usage? Bit Mapping ain't working? Dual Core processor advantage doubts?
Any one can add something on these things?
Where are the u$s 100 plus over the BDP-S590?????

Here is a good list of differences:

Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post

That depends on if you think the following features / capabilities are worth the extra. Given you paid $120, that's $130 difference. Tough call.

1) Improved build quality and more conservative styling
2) Front display will indicate HD content with HD icon
3) Two HDMI outputs (allows split Audio/video if required)
4) Super Bit Mapping
5) SKype support when used with additional camera
7) Additional levels of customization of video quality (many pre-sets, and user modes) for both internet video (IP Noise Reduction Pro) and BD, DVD and DLNA. More impressed with these than I thought I would be.
8) 4K upscaling
9) Improved remote control
10) others ??

So I would say better upscaling of DVD and IP as being the main improvement. You also get a better remote and menu movement with the S790. For some reason The Sony Entertainment Network portal is only in high def on the S790.
post #910 of 3552 Old 05-26-2012, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema View Post

I wonder if Amazon will ever get this player in. I've noticed it has made its way to Best Buy now.

The following is an article where Sony and Samsung have rolled out Unilateral Pricing Policy in the last two months. These new pricing restrictions may be why Amazon delayed listing the S790. I think Amazon is in trouble if they are losing their pricing advantage and have to begin charging sales tax (at least in California beginning in September).

http://hometheater.about.com/b/2012/...g-policies.htm
post #911 of 3552 Old 05-26-2012, 08:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 185
post #912 of 3552 Old 05-26-2012, 10:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian-HD View Post

I tried the thumb drive and the player is still not bookmarking.

Try hitting the stop button one time and see if it works. Unfortunately, I don't have the player at my home since I had to ship it to our photographer in order to have it shot for the magazine.

As for the question of Super Bitmapping and other "features," I feel that they change the picture in a negative way and preferred the default/Direct picture output.

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

post #913 of 3552 Old 05-26-2012, 11:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Quote:

Why I should choose BDP-S790 over BDP-S590?

Very usefull. Thank you.
By the way, the thread is full of noisy competition to see who has the better player (Oppo, Sony, Panny, whatever), plus opinions that can sum up as "My eyes can see better than yours".
I did a couple of precise questions and maybe somebody can help me.
Again:
1) 4k resolution is usefull or not with an ordinary (excuse my poberty) Full HD set?
2) The wi fi buit-in allows to conect to internet or just to dedicated sites?.

What are the other differences?
The dual core CPU processing, or the Super Bit Mapping?
Some considers it worths the extra money, some not. I dependes on what you will use it for.
I am not a spenny-pincher. Just consider I payed over u$s 400 some years ago for a DVD player (Oppo DV-983H).
But I do not want to give money away.
My thoughts. I hope I did not offend anybody.

What's your problem. I told you differences have being covered already. What's up with the passive aggressive comment ? You can search or not. Up to you .... But less of the passive aggressive stuff please.
post #914 of 3552 Old 05-27-2012, 03:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post

Try hitting the stop button one time and see if it works. Unfortunately, I don't have the player at my home since I had to ship it to our photographer in order to have it shot for the magazine.

As for the question of Super Bitmapping and other "features," I feel that they change the picture in a negative way and preferred the default/Direct picture output.

I tried that few times., Avatar works with bookmark, so I am not sure if it is the memory.
post #915 of 3552 Old 05-27-2012, 04:23 AM

Hi!
Is subtitleshift possible?
post #916 of 3552 Old 05-27-2012, 05:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keagy View Post

So I would say better upscaling of DVD and IP as being the main improvement. You also get a better remote and menu movement with the S790. For some reason The Sony Entertainment Network portal is only in high def on the S790.

While I haven't tested upscaling performance, I will say the IP Pro controls are a bigger deal than I was expecting. The improvement on the Crackle movie I just watched versus it being off was quite apparent.
Quote:

The following is an article where Sony and Samsung have rolled out Unilateral Pricing Policy in the last two months. These new pricing restrictions may be why Amazon delayed listing the S790. I think Amazon is in trouble if they are losing their pricing advantage and have to begin charging sales tax (at least in California beginning in September).

http://hometheater.about.com/b/2012/...g-policies.htm

Given the number of items Amazon sells, having some lines from a few CE's getting minimum pricing is pretty much a drop in the bucket.

As for tax, that's already hit a number of states. I live in NY, and we've been paying it for several years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post

Has been listed for the last week!
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-BDPS790-3...8090907&sr=8-3

Oh cool. Though unless it wasn't coming up using search for some reason, I don't think it's been there for a week? I ordered mine late on the 21st from Abt Electronics because I couldn't find it on Amazon. Maybe I was searching wrong though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post

I've verified it doesn't work on all discs for whatever reason. For example, all three 20th Century Fox movies I've tested so far have failed.
Quote:

Obviously any sort of processing is a subjective thing, and generally I too go for an accurate. 'direct' image.

I will say however that I emphatically disagree with regards to one specific new (at least to me) 'feature' - Clear Black. From my limited testing, it appears to be a sloped brightness control that quickly rolls off as you approach mid-tones. It is specifically targeting blacks/darks.

What this allows is for you to eek out extra shadow detail without washing out the rest of image. Or in the event the dark areas are seriously crushed (appear as blotchy artifacts with no actual detail in the encode), you can set it into the negatives which will obscure the artifacts without dropping the brightness in the rest of the scene.

I'm actually shocked how well it works (and I wish there were direct buttons on the remote to modify it). So far it seems to be one of the most useful non-standard processing features I've used. To be honest I wish was on my TV, or better yet, my video processor. It would help clear up some of the most common IQ issues in TV content.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post

What's your problem. I told you differences have being covered already. What's up with the passive aggressive comment ? You can search or not. Up to you .... But less of the passive aggressive stuff please.

I think it was more sarcastic than passive aggressive.

This is a forum, with the intent of helping people. I could understand your response if this thread was only a few pages long or the info was in the OP ... but it ain't. This is a 30+ page thread, and a quick search isn't going to necessarily hit on the right info.

If you weren't going to help him by either listing some of the items or at least pointing him to where the info is in this thread ... why reply at all? It's amusing you're all in a puff over this, when I think most sane people would see you as the one being unnecessarily rude.
post #917 of 3552 Old 05-27-2012, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

I know why I couldn't find it. I searched correctly using BDP-S790 and nothing came up. Their listing removes the "-".

The other models correctly display as BDP-S390/S590.
post #918 of 3552 Old 05-27-2012, 12:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Can any US owners of the BDP-S790 confirm if the remote has a "display" button above the subtitle button or is there a "muting" button instead? Is the remote face now a metal finish? Thanks!

post #919 of 3552 Old 05-27-2012, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartwater View Post

Can any US owners of the BDP-S790 confirm if the remote has a "display" button above the subtitle button or is there a "muting" button instead? Is the remote face now a metal finish? Thanks!

It's the Display button, and the remote face is plastic.
post #920 of 3552 Old 05-27-2012, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah from pictures it might appear the remote is metal because they gave it a texture that simulates the brushed look. It's plastic though.
post #921 of 3552 Old 05-27-2012, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raistlin_HT View Post

I think it was more sarcastic than passive aggressive.

This is a forum, with the intent of helping people. I could understand your response if this thread was only a few pages long or the info was in the OP ... but it ain't. This is a 30+ page thread, and a quick search isn't going to necessarily hit on the right info.

If you weren't going to help him by either listing some of the items or at least pointing him to where the info is in this thread ... why reply at all? It's amusing you're all in a puff over this, when I think most sane people would see you as the one being unnecessarily rude.

Yes this forum is about providing help certainly and that's why I started the thread on the 390 and 590, and have posted 500+ posts helping others and providing info on the Sony players.

The point to say search is merely that it was discussed and can be found by searching. There are people that come to this forum that are not prepared to do some homework in advanced prior to asking questions. Then the same questions get asked over and over again and the thread becomes a repeat, which kind of sucks when you read through it.
post #922 of 3552 Old 05-27-2012, 11:05 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by taurus2007. View Post

i agree with you raistlin_ht, apw2607 needs to stop being harsh, relax, calm down and stop the lecturing.

+1
post #923 of 3552 Old 05-28-2012, 10:32 AM

Here is some information on the new Harmony 800 QWERTY remote that comes with a Logitech Unifying Receiver than can plug into a USB port. I think there is a good chance you will be able to enter text search on the Harmony 800 to the S790 for everything including NetFlix/VUDU.

http://mediapool.getthespec.com/medi...xIw%3D%3D&v=PD

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/349/6072
post #924 of 3552 Old 05-28-2012, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taurus2007. View Post

I agree with you Raistlin_HT, apw2607 needs to stop being harsh, relax, calm down and stop the lecturing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

+1

Not to name names, but I would submit that part of the blame lies at the hands of the OP. Unless a mod changed the name of this thread, I'm not really sure why it was called an official thread to begin with given that the topic post contains almost no relevant info. As a matter of fact edtorious was actually asking a question in it ... not really divulging information.

At the least, he could have edited the OP to contain links for posts with good info if he didn't feel like writing it himself.

Quote:

Here is some information on the new Harmony 800 QWERTY remote that comes with a Logitech Unifying Receiver than can plug into a USB port. I think there is a good chance you will be able to enter text search on the Logitech 800 to the S790 for everything including NetFlix/VUDU.

http://mediapool.getthespec.com/medi...xIw%3D%3D&v=PD

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/349/6072

I was actually planning to try this since I use a WP7 phone and therefore don't have the Sony-provided control app. I have both the Logitech Revue and a separate Logitech keyboard (k400 IIRC - it too uses the Unifying tech) ... and just haven't gotten around to it.

Unfortunately I don't have a thumb drive that supports daisy chaining, so unless a hub will work with the player, you'd have to give up USB support for bookmarking, BD-Live, etc. I'll test the keyboard either tonight or tomorrow, and report the results. I'll also see if I have a hub laying around. Having a hub work would actually be pretty convenient assuming it somehow knows to store data onto only the first one. That way bookmarks, etc won't get spread around if you routinely hook up secondary thumb-drives to playback media. That will take a bit more testing.
post #925 of 3552 Old 05-28-2012, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Since bickering annoys me more than repetitive posts, here goes:
Quote:

Why I should choose BDP-S790 over BDP-S590?

You shouldn't
Quote:

1) 4k resolution is usefull or not with an ordinary (excuse my poberty) Full HD set?

Not useful.
Quote:

2) The wi fi buit-in allows to conect to internet or just to dedicated sites?.

Both
Quote:

What are the other differences?

Wifi is not a difference. Both have the same wifi capabilities
Quote:

The dual core CPU processing, or the Super Bit Mapping?

Dual core makes it faster. SBM is an artificial enhancement to smooth color gradations, like upconversion in the chroma space. A gimmick IMO and not worth the extra money.
Quote:

Just consider I payed over u$s 400 some years ago for a DVD player (Oppo DV-983H).

Join the club. I the time you've had your DVD player, I've had a dozen blu-ray players. The features change so fast, it doesn't really matter what you get. It will be obsolete next year anyway.
post #926 of 3552 Old 05-28-2012, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

You shouldn't

Is 'Clear Black' available on the 590? If not, I'd argue that feature alone may be worth the price of admission. I wish a similar feature was available on my video processor.
post #927 of 3552 Old 05-28-2012, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Is 'Clear Black' available on the 590? If not, I'd argue that feature alone may be worth the price of admission. I wish a similar feature was available on my video processor.

Clear black is not available on the 590.
post #928 of 3552 Old 05-28-2012, 10:14 PM

Quote:

• Dual-core Processor - To be honest, I'm not sure of the benefit. Someone will have to clarify, but it sounds like the UI doesn't perform any faster? If that's the case I'm not sure of the benefit. Maybe they need to upgrade some of the code to take advantage of it in a future firmware update?

I was was not sure about the benefit until I tried an heavy video which fail on my others players :
  • Western Digital TV Live (aka WD TV Live 2) : fail
  • Western Digital TV Live with Wifi (aka WD TV Live 3, 2011) : fail
  • Sony BDP-S390 (2012 entry level blu ray player) : fail
  • Notebook with Core 2 Duo ULV SU9300 with GMA 4500MHD and VLC : fail

The video is not played smoothly by these devices : jerky video, audio drop out, …

But the video is played smoothly by BDP-S790. Pass !

The extra power is used for playing heavy video

About the video :
  • Duration : 6 mn10 s
  • File size : 1.80 GB
  • Format : MPEG4 (Base Media / Version 2) AVC (Baseline@L4.1) 2 Ref frame
  • Size : 1920*1080
  • FPS : 30
  • Average video rate : 41.7 Mps
  • Audio : AAC 256 kps / 44.1 Khz / 2-ch
post #929 of 3552 Old 05-29-2012, 02:07 AM

Hiya

A new S790 owner from across the pond in London here. Home Theatre have now tested this device with the HQV test measurements. I cant post the link os I'm new here so please search for it!

The title is Sony BDP-S790 3D Network Blu-ray Disc Player - Video Performance Tests

In summary, the player passes all tests with flying colours, which should assure those of us with a more technical "objective" handle on how things should work. For myself - using our European PAL 576i video system - I have no other option but to say this player is excellent at DVD upscaling and rather scintillating on Blu Ray1080p 24fps.

I don't particularly like the artefacts introduced by the enhancements, so after a lot of testing, now have it outputting in Direct mode. SBM is cool though!

I'm using the Sony with my ISF'ed Lumagen HDP VP and a Pioneer Kuro PRO 111FD

Regards
post #930 of 3552 Old 05-29-2012, 03:55 AM

Liked: 20
I don't have a blu ray player but I am planning on buying one soon. I have had great experiences with sony tv's and cd players. So, I am looking at sony right now for blu ray players. I am budgeting up to $300 for a player.

I have been reading through several threads and there are conflicting reports on picture quality. Some posters say that picture quality must be identical, others claim noticeable differences.

Even though I don't own a blu ray player (yet), I tend to believe the posters who claim differences. This is because I've owned many cd players over the years--I usually purchased a new player once a year. There were very noticeable differences in sound quality within the same brand from year to year. Some sounded sterile, some were slightly more bass heavy, others were 'warmer' (more midrange).

I also noticed differences in picture quality from one brand of dvd player to the next, and from one model number to the next within brand.

Therefore, if different video processing chips are used in different models, there should be differences in picture quality.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Sony , Sony Bdps790 3d Blu Ray Player , Sony Blu Ray Disc Player Bdp S790 , Sony Open Box Bdp S790 3d Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page