post #991 of 3559 Old 05-31-2012, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smackrabbit View Post

Kevin is a much better calibrator than I am. I don't post settings for displays I review for a variety of reasons but I can PM them to you once I do. Compared to the last LCD that was here it is a ton better. I really prefer plasma but this one I could easily live with I think. I wish there was a CMS and 10-point grayscale. I'm starting to target Rec 1886 for gamma for reviews and you just can't do that without a 10 point system really.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 3559 Old 05-31-2012, 05:44 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smackrabbit View Post

Kevin is a much better calibrator than I am. I don't post settings for displays I review for a variety of reasons but I can PM them to you once I do. Compared to the last LCD that was here it is a ton better. I really prefer plasma but this one I could easily live with I think. I wish there was a CMS and 10-point grayscale. I'm starting to target Rec 1886 for gamma for reviews and you just can't do that without a 10 point system really.

what's rec 1886 ?
post #993 of 3559 Old 05-31-2012, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Disappointingly the USB hub I've tested is showing up as not supported. In other words a keyboard and memory is not doable.

This makes the decision to not include on-board memory quite disappointing. It would be one thing if this was a 'dumb' BD player, but given all of the built-in apps plus Opera ... it's a pretty poor decision, made all the more ridiculous given this being their high-end offering.
post #994 of 3559 Old 05-31-2012, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Actually check that. I rebooted and it seemed to be seeing the keyboard and the thumbdrive I'm using for bookmarks ... but not the thumbdrive with media.

After moving the thumbdrive with media to another port though, it's now showing up. I'll need to do some more testing. Seems flaky, but maybe some of the functionality is doable here.
post #995 of 3559 Old 05-31-2012, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raistlin_HT View Post

Disappointingly the USB hub I've tested is showing up as not supported. In other words a keyboard and memory is not doable.

This makes the decision to not include on-board memory quite disappointing. It would be one thing if this was a 'dumb' BD player, but given all of the built-in apps plus Opera ... it's a pretty poor decision, made all the more ridiculous given this being their high-end offering.

If there is no on board memory, bookmark is not happening.
post #996 of 3559 Old 05-31-2012, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian-HD View Post

If there is no on board memory, bookmark is not happening.

You need a thumbdrive for bookmarking as far as I know
post #997 of 3559 Old 05-31-2012, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

After some further testing, I does unfortunately look like it's spreading around bookmarks, etc. It's possible the 790 may be defaulting to whichever is the most recently hot-swapped USB thumbdrive for new writes ... what's weird is it appeared to be reading the gracenote info from the original thumbdrive, but not the bookmarks (when the 2nd thumbdrive was in)?

I'd need to do some further testing to verify exactly how it's determining which one to read/write to, but obviously the simple way around it is to pull out the non-permanent thumbdrive when messing around with BD's. Having support for more than one thumbdrive is really for people that want to view/listen to some transient data, so that really shouldn't put anyone off that much IMO. If you have stuff you want available all the time you'd just place that on the 'permanent' 790 thumbdrive I'd think. Which reminds me, I'm curious if a USB HDD would work with this? As long as it's powered and formatted properly I don't see why not.

So while not perfect, the simple fact you actually can get a keyboard and thumbdrive to work together is nice. Having some (flaky) support for extra thumbdrives is a bonus.
post #998 of 3559 Old 05-31-2012, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

After some further testing, I does unfortunately look like it's spreading around bookmarks, etc. It's possible the 790 may be defaulting to whichever is the most recently hot-swapped USB thumbdrive for new writes ... what's weird is it appeared to be reading the gracenote info from the original thumbdrive, but not the bookmarks (when the 2nd thumbdrive was in)?

I'd need to do some further testing to verify exactly how it's determining which one to read/write to, but obviously the simple way around it is to pull out the non-permanent thumbdrive when messing around with BD's. Having support for more than one thumbdrive is really for people that want to view/listen to some transient data, so that really shouldn't put anyone off that much IMO. If you have stuff you want available all the time you'd just place that on the 'permanent' 790 thumbdrive I'd think. Which reminds me, I'm curious if a USB HDD would work with this? As long as it's powered and formatted properly I don't see why not.

So while not perfect, the simple fact you actually can get a keyboard and thumbdrive to work together is nice. Having some (flaky) support for extra thumbdrives is a bonus.

I have the Panasonic 500 too and suggest to use a 1GB side card. I have to read the manual of the 790.

Playback does not start from the resume point where you last stopped playing.
The resume point may be cleared from
memory depending on the disc when – you open the disc tray.
– you disconnect the USB device.
– you play other content.
– you turn off the player.
post #999 of 3559 Old 05-31-2012, 08:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckg1 View Post

what's rec 1886 ?

ITU Rec. 1886 is a specification for gamma. Just like Rec. 709 defines the specific colors for HDTV and Blu-ray, this would define the gamma curve for content for HDTV and Blu-ray. Right now there is no standard for gamma, and so the issue there is that one company could use a monitor set for 2.2 gamma to make their Blu-ray discs, one could use 2.4, and one could use 2.6, and they will all look different because of that.

1886 is not a standard power curve, but is linear for the first 10% before a power curve kicks in. Gamma for the end user is still going to be defined by how your room is configured, as if you have a bright living room, Rec 1886 won't work for it, and you might want 2.0 or so. However, it means for those of us that can use Rec 1886 in our theaters, we will know the content was mastered at the exact same gamma specification, so we are seeing what the mastering engineer saw.

Because of that linear bit at the start, unless you have a 10-point white balance you don't have sufficient control over the gamma curve to hit the Rec. 1886 standard, and the presets in displays are always power curve or S-curve configurations. Since there is no actual standard except this, I'll use 1886 as the target for displays and projectors that come in , though I expect very few, if any, to hit it for another year or two. But I hope they start to soon.

Chris Heinonen
Senior Editor, Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Displays Editor,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Contributor,
and

ISF Level II Certified Calibrator,
post #1000 of 3559 Old 05-31-2012, 08:58 PM

Liked: 15
Right...what he said...

post #1001 of 3559 Old 06-01-2012, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I started testing MKV's over my network and played a MKV of a Blu-ray but noticed when I displayed the info that it was playing at 1080p60 and not 1080p24. The same MKV played by my Oppo 93 plays at 24p but stutters on playback possibly due to the high data transfer. I was happy to have it play back smoothly on the 790 but would like to get the original 24p instead of the 1080p60. Is there something I need to change or is this how the 790 plays all video over a network? The Blu-ray that this MKV was made from plays correctly at 1080p24 when it is played directly in the player.

Clark
post #1002 of 3559 Old 06-01-2012, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Burk View Post

I started testing MKV's over my network and played a MKV of a Blu-ray but noticed when I displayed the info that it was playing at 1080p60 and not 1080p24. The same MKV played by my Oppo 93 plays at 24p but stutters on playback possibly due to the high data transfer. I was happy to have it play back smoothly on the 790 but would like to get the original 24p instead of the 1080p60. Is there something I need to change or is this how the 790 plays all video over a network? The Blu-ray that this MKV was made from plays correctly at 1080p24 when it is played directly in the player.

The Sony players don't support 24p output for local file and streaming content. If you want that get one of the 2012 panasonic players.
post #1003 of 3559 Old 06-01-2012, 07:43 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
It looks like I just got my self into such a 790 :-)

I have gotten sick and tired of my Oppo 93 (which I bought brand new Oct. 2011);

a) a hopeless remote, I have to point straight at it

b) it IS dvd sone free mod, but the BD region shift is very tricky, I forget it always: )

But, I buy a lot of DVDs/ Bluray from amazon.com,
the rest I buy from amazon.co.uk.

I know, I know, and I can truly see that my Oppo gives a fantastic picture!!

I dont know the 790 yet -- will it provide me with pictures of "oppo-class"?

The 4x function, a useless gimmick or what ?

Thus;
what will you recomend;
a) use the Sony as my main player, for my European coded discs?
b) use the Oppo for my collection of NTSC, USA coded disc?

--- I guess, since Sony can not be region modded, I will have no choice??

OT:
cowboys and alliens - the 2011 movie starring 007 and Indy jr. -- do you regard this film as a comedy??
post #1004 of 3559 Old 06-01-2012, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 352
Sony cannot be region modded, nor can it play PAL (50 Hz), so a US sony is not a good choice.

Why the interest in the 790 instead of the 590 if you don't have a 4K display (I assume)?

post #1005 of 3559 Old 06-01-2012, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

Sony cannot be region modded, nor can it play PAL (50 Hz), so a US sony is not a good choice.

Why the interest in the 790 instead of the 590 if you don't have a 4K display (I assume)?

mdaveJ > The Sony can be region modded, its just there's no easy user kit to do so. You can buy a S590 all region today, its just its pricey. I'm sure similar vendors will offer the 790 region free once it properly gets into the supply chain.

Once its being modded, a 110v (USA spec) will playback 50Hz material.
post #1006 of 3559 Old 06-01-2012, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 190
It's not like they take up alot of room.
I have the OPPO 93 for Blu-rays - Local, Region Free and PAL.
I currently have a Sony 770, to be replaced with the 790, once available in Canada, to play BDs that the OPPO won't. (Until the FW is updated - but I don't want to wait - I want to watch it now!) Also like to alternate between the 2.
Plus I have the Toshiba HD player, that Old B&W TV Shows look better on than either the above.
post #1007 of 3559 Old 06-01-2012, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post

It's not like they take up alot of room.
I have the OPPO 93 for Blu-rays - Local, Region Free and PAL.
I currently have a Sony 770, to be replaced with the 790, once available in Canada, to play BDs that the OPPO won't. (Until the FW is updated - but I don't want to wait - I want to watch it now!) Also like to alternate between the 2.
Plus I have the Toshiba HD player, that Old B&W TV Shows look better on than either the above.

You're right, however I'm on a quest to find the perfect Disk & Network/Streaming player. The Sony S790 (and the other 2012 Sony players) come very close to this. Where it falls over is on the Region free disk 50Hz playback side (on USA players at least). I've got so few PAL or 50Hz disks, I dont mind making backups of those and then the 790 plays them back fine.

Obviously others have other specific requirements, such as HQ multi-channel analog out and DVD-A support. This doesn't concern me.

At the end of the day, you could have a device for each. I just don't want a bunch of boxes and remotes and individual UIs on each.
post #1008 of 3559 Old 06-01-2012, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post

The Sony players don't support 24p output for local file and streaming content. If you want that get one of the 2012 panasonic players.

Good luck getting a Panasonic Blu-ray player to play MKV's over DLNA.

Clark
post #1009 of 3559 Old 06-02-2012, 06:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 384
Alternatively, one might consider connecting a computer directly to the AVR using HDMI. But that can be its own adventure....

Selden
post #1010 of 3559 Old 06-02-2012, 07:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by dryasanne View Post

OT:
cowboys and alliens - the 2011 movie starring 007 and Indy jr. -- do you regard this film as a comedy??

Yes, and a quite dodgy one at that. LOL.
post #1011 of 3559 Old 06-02-2012, 11:35 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

Alternatively, one might consider connecting a computer directly to the AVR using HDMI. But that can be its own adventure....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain- View Post

Yes, and a quite dodgy one at that. LOL.

I'm in a 12 step program for those addicted to dual monitor setups involving two rooms. Having an AVR in the mix is frightening.

Calibration Resources:

post #1012 of 3559 Old 06-02-2012, 12:51 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

- Keyboards -

I hooked up my Logitech Unifying K400 via USB and it works. Of course the problem is that's meant as a traditional PC keyboard/touchpad and doesn't have a dedicated directional pad, etc. Using the arrows doesn't work, so unless there are some hotkeys I'm not aware of to simulate it, you can't actually move around the UI, click enter, etc. It's purely for entering in text once you've selected a text box using the remote.

I did some testing with a wired usb keyboard (Belkin F8E885-BLK) and it also worked for text input. The arrows worked in VUDU and Web Browser, but not for xmb menu control.

I also plugged in a wired usb trackball (Logitech T-BC21). While I got a "device not supported message" it did worked with the web browser. The trackball buttions also worked for clicking items in the web browser.

All of this makes me excited that the new Harmony 800 QWTERY remote that can send infrared and usb keyboard/mouse commands will work very well with the S790. I wish Logitech would hurry up and release the new remote because my current one needs to be replaced badly.
post #1013 of 3559 Old 06-02-2012, 04:47 PM

Hello, I'm new here in this forum.

I followed from time to time and the new Sony BD S790 and the positive comments made me purchasing one (Amazon Germany).

I presently use a Pana BDT 300 with some modifications in the power supply and digi board. I view with JVC DLA X7 on a 10 ft wide board.

The S790 picture quality had been slightly better for Blu ray and quite a step up for DVD material compared to my BDT 300.
Even the sound and surround stage was a small step forward.

Now the BUT !!!!!!
I had a permanent noise through the HDMI audio output into my AV gear.
To me this was a typical weak switch mode power supply design causing this noise (siiirr).

Q: Do other owners have same experience ? Or did I have a faulty monday morning box?

I have a simular noise on my old Philips Plasma 42" TV Panel and I had recently purchased a Sony TV for bedroom. This unit is dead quiet, so I thought the BD 790 should be similar noiseless.

Furthermore the HDMI socket was not very accurate cut, I had real difficulties to push my WireWorld HDMI cable into this unit.

Best...ndemw
post #1014 of 3559 Old 06-03-2012, 11:55 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I purchased this 790 today, a internett store sold it for a good price :-)

I have a oppo 93 and a Marantz 5006 and Samsung 600x (2011 model)

q:
a) Does a hdmi cable included in the box, or do I need to by me a new one ?
And which brand - the cheapest one or a excluvise one?

b) You still recomends to connect the dig out for best sound q. ?

c) How much better is my Oppo 93 than the 790 -- when we look at the picture quality ONLY ?

d) I m wearing glasses, thus I find it very hard to look at 3d movies with the Samsung 3d glasses -- any new improvememts in this area? Will the sony or the oppo provide best 3d PQ ( fex the Tintin film)??

I bought this Sony for viewving the Europe Region (the B coded) bluray -- my Oppo is sone moded and play everything, but the region shifting procedure is soo clumsy - thus I bougth this Sony letting the Oppo stand fast on USA region BD.
post #1015 of 3559 Old 06-03-2012, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dryasanne View Post

I purchased this 790 today, a internett store sold it for a good price :-)

I have a oppo 93 and a Marantz 5006 and Samsung 600x (2011 model)

q:
a) Does a hdmi cable included in the box, or do I need to by me a new one ?
And which brand - the cheapest one or a excluvise one?

No, Monoprice.com

b) You still recomends to connect the dig out for best sound q. ?

HDMI DTSMA DDTHD

c) How much better is my Oppo 93 than the 790 -- when we look at the picture quality ONLY ?

Let us know lol

d) I m wearing glasses, thus I find it very hard to look at 3d movies with the Samsung 3d glasses -- any new improvememts in this area? Will the sony or the oppo provide best 3d PQ ( fex the Tintin film)??

Let us know; for people who wear glasses, the best for me is made by Sony

I bought this Sony for viewving the Europe Region (the B coded) bluray -- my Oppo is sone moded and play everything, but the region shifting procedure is soo clumsy - thus I bougth this Sony letting the Oppo stand fast on USA region BD.

Read above
post #1016 of 3559 Old 06-04-2012, 01:26 AM
sdz

Quote:

You're right, however I'm on a quest to find the perfect Disk & Network/Streaming player.

Me too! Can someone test if the player can handle mkv with internal subs from a nas without trascoding? Thanks in advance
post #1017 of 3559 Old 06-04-2012, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You're right, however I'm on a quest to find the perfect Disk & Network/Streaming player.

Doesn't exist.
post #1018 of 3559 Old 06-05-2012, 02:56 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

Doesn't exist.

The Oppo BDP-95 is as close as you're going to get to perfection IMO.

Sony KDL46XBR2 :-o, Samsung SMT-H3270 HDDVR, Oppo BDP-95 (w/a Haier 7" HLT71), Sony BDP-S350, Emo UMC-1 & XPA-5,
, 2 Polk T90e (surrounds),

post #1019 of 3559 Old 06-05-2012, 03:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcuslaw View Post

The Oppo BDP-95 is as close as you're going to get to perfection IMO.

Yes sir, that netflix at 720p looks great. Please, I have a 93 and it is a great player but I have a 790 also. They each have certain advantages over one another.

Clark
post #1020 of 3559 Old 06-06-2012, 07:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Well, while AVS was down yesterday the BDP-S790 arrived here, and I still have a good amount more testing to do, but I do have some quick notes on it:

- The build quality is much better than the S590
- RGB output is totally broken on it, just like the S590
- At least when using Auto and Direct, neither is as accurate as the S590 is for output

I've got a lot more testing still to do, as there are a lot of modes on it. I did whip up a quick chart showing the average dE that would be visible using Auto, Direct, and both of Joerod's settings. I haven't had time to test YCbCr 422 yet either. I also have a lot of visual evaluation to do as well.

Chris Heinonen
Senior Editor, Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity,

Displays Editor,

Contributor,
and

ISF Level II Certified Calibrator,
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Sony , Sony Bdps790 3d Blu Ray Player , Sony Blu Ray Disc Player Bdp S790 , Sony Open Box Bdp S790 3d Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page