515K views 4K replies 520 participants last post by  rekbones 
#1 ·

Sony BDP-S790 Highlights

3D Blu-ray Disc Full HD 1080p playback

Built-in Wi-Fi for streaming entertainment

Sony Entertainment Network: Netflix, YouTube, Pandora, Hulu Plus and more

Skype capability with optional camera

Super Bit Mapping

Fast performance with built-in Dual Core Processor for fast performance.

Dual HDMI output. Two HDMI® outputs to connect even legacy audio products to enjoy 3D and HD sound quality. Connect one port to your HDTV for stunning 3D images and the other port to an AV amplifier for surround sound reproduction.

and 4K upscaling for amazing picture quality

Don't you need a 4K display or projector to get the 4K upscaling? I wonder what is the quality of a 4K upscale picture?

For more info from Sony's website, see link below:

http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/sto...specifications

Video Features

•24p True Cinema™ Technology : Yes

•3D Playback : Yes

•BD-R/RE Read Compatibility : Yes (BD-R / BD-RE )

•BD-ROM : Bonus View(Profile1.1); BD-Live(Profile2.0); BD-ROM (SL/DL)

•DVD Camcorder 8cm DVD : Yes RW/-R (+VR)

•DVD Playback : Yes

•DVD+R Read Compatibility : Yes (+VR)

•DVD+RW Read Compatibility : Yes (+VR)

•DVD-R Read Compatibility : Yes

•DVD-RW Read Compatibility : Yes (+VR)

•JPEG Playback : BD/DVD/CD/USB/DLNA

•Noise Reduction : Yes (BNR on DVDs Only)

•PhotoTV HD : Yes

•Picture Parameter Adjustments : Yes (Brightness/Contrast/Hue/Color)

•x.v.Color™ Technology : Yes

BD

•HD (24Hz) (24p True Cinema) : Yes

•HD (50Hz) : No

•HD (60Hz) : 480i480p720p1080i1080p

•HD 24Hz to 60Hz conversion : Yes

DVD

•DVD 24p output : Yes

•TV Type Default Setting : 16:9

Audio Features

Coaxial

•DTS Neo 6 : Yes

•DTS bit-stream out : Yes

•Dolby Digital bit-stream out : Yes

•LPCM 2ch (~96kHz/~24bit) out : Yes

Decodability

•AV Sync : Yes

•Dolby® : Dolby True HD decoding (5.1Ch)

•dts : dts-HD Master Audio decoding (MA)

HDMI Audio Out

•DSD output : Yes

•DSD to LPCM conversion out : Yes

•DTS HD Master Audio bit-stream out : Yes

•Dolby TrueHD bit-stream out : Yes

•LPCM 2ch out : Yes

•LPCM 6ch out : Yes

•LPCM 8ch out : Yes

Supported Media

CD

•CD (CD-DA) : Yes

•CD-R/-RW : Yes

•SA-CD (SA-CD/CD) : Yes

BD-ROM

•BD-Live (Profile2.0) : Yes

•BD-ROM (SL/DL) : Yes

•Bonus View (Profile1.1) : Yes

Video

•AVCHD Disc Format Folder : BD/DVD/CD/USB/DLNA

•MPEG-1 Video/PS (.mpg .mpeg, .m2ts, .mts) : BD/DVD/CD/USB/DLNA

•MPEG-2 Video/PS, TS ( .mpg.mpeg, .m2ts, .mts) : BD/DVD/CD/USB/DLNA

•MPEG-4 AVC (.mkv, .mp4, .m4v, .m2ts, .mts) : BD/DVD/CD/USB/DLNA

Hybrid Disc

•BD/CD : Yes (select in set-up menu)

•BD/DVD : Yes (select in set-up menu)

•HDDVD/DVD : Yes(DVD)

Music

•AAC (.m4a) : BD/DVD/CD/USB/DLNA

•LPCM (.wav) : BD/DVD/CD/USB/DLNA

•MP3 (.mp3) : BD/DVD/CD/USB/DLNA

•WMA9 Standard (.wma) : BD/DVD/CD/USB/DLNA

Mixed Disc

•BDAV/BDMV : Yes (BDMV)

BDMV

•BD-R : Yes (ver.3.0, SL/DL)

•BD-RE : Yes (ver.2.0, SL/DL)

For troubleshooting: http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/mod...=3&mdl=BDPS790

Firmware Updates:

*Release Date 5/16/2012 Version M13.R.0369 File Size 109.26 MB:

This utility updates the Blu-ray Disc player firmware to version M13.R.0369 and provides the following benefits:

Improvements over firmware version M13.R.0325:

•Improves BRAVIA® Internet Video connectivity

•Adds support for automatic setting of AV Separation Output Mode which allows you to set up connected devices automatically using Bravia Sync

Benefits provided by previous upgrades and included in version M13.R.0369:

◦Adds support for the Sony® Entertainment Network portal

◦Adds support for the "Recommendations" feature

Notes:

■The "Recommendations" feature automatically analyzes your interests by referencing your viewing history to find programs and items you may like, and presents them in the xross media bar™ menu.

■This feature may not be available depending on your region and broadcasting conditions.

◦Adds the ability to use the Skype® online calling service

*Release Date 8/4/2012 Version M13.R.0443 File Size 107.89 MB:

This utility updates the Blu-ray Disc player firmware to version M13.R.0443 and provides the following benefits:

Improvements over firmware version M13.R.0369:
  • Improves BRAVIA® Internet Video connectivity

Benefits provided by previous upgrades and included in version M13.R.0443:
  • Adds support for automatic setting of AV Separation Output Mode which allows you to set up connected devices automatically using Bravia Sync
  • Adds support for the Sony® Entertainment Network portal
  • Adds support for the "Recommendations" feature
    Notes:
    • The "Recommendations" feature automatically analyzes your interests by referencing your viewing history to find programs and items you may like, and presents them in the xross media bar™ menu.
    • This feature may not be available depending on your region and broadcasting conditions.
  • Adds the ability to use the Skype® online calling service

*Release Date 12/8/2012 Version M13.R.0460 File Size 107.89 MB:

This utility updates the Blu-ray Disc player firmware to version M13.R.0460 and provides the following benefits:

Improvements over firmware version M13.R.0443:

Benefits provided by previous upgrades and included in version M13.R.0460:
  • Adds support for automatic setting of AV Separation Output Mode which allows you to set up connected devices automatically using Bravia Sync
    Notes:
    • The "Recommendations" feature automatically analyzes your interests by referencing your viewing history to find programs and items you may like, and presents them in the xross media bar™ menu.
    • This feature may not be available depending on your region and broadcasting conditions.

*Release Date 5/24/13 Version M13.R.0491 File Size 109.09 MB:

This utility updates the Blu-ray Disc player firmware to version M13.R.0491 and provides the following benefits:

Improvements over firmware version M13.R.0460:
  • Improves BD-ROM playability

Benefits provided by previous upgrades and included in version M13.R.0491:
    Notes:

See less See more
#78 ·
This waiting game is killing me! I want to get this player bad and I've held back at ordering it through Sony Style in hopes that Best Buy or Amazon start selling it before Sony Style just like it happened with the S590 which was first available through Best Buy.

#79 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortiz /forum/post/0

This waiting game is killing me! I want to get this player bad and I've held back at ordering it through Sony Style in hopes that Best Buy or Amazon start selling it before Sony Style just like it happened with the S590 which was first available through Best Buy.

The 590 was first available through Sony rewards. Then the Sony online store shortly after. At least 1-2 weeks before BB.

#81 ·
#87 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 /forum/post/21896686

Yea, funny, I just came here to let folks know J&R had them in stock. Good to know a few others have placed orders :)

I was promised mine before Easter and since they let me down JR gets the order. I told them exactly that. Plus I save almost 30 this way. No tax and cheaper shipping!

#88 ·
I recently downloaded the user guide for the S790 and noticed two adjustments of interest on page 25 under "Video Settings". Those are "Texture Remaster" and "Clear Black".

Whoever is planning to test this player, could you please have a go at these adjustments and see how effective they are. BTW, I'm fanatical of deep, dark and rich blacks so the latter adjustment might be of extreme interest.

Thanks.

#89 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain- /forum/post/21898315

I recently downloaded the user guide for the S790 and noticed two adjustments of interest on page 25 under "Video Settings". Those are "Texture Remaster" and "Clear Black".

Whoever is planning to test this player, could you please have a go at these adjustments and see how effective they are. BTW, I'm fanatical of deep, dark and rich blacks so the latter adjustment might be of extreme interest.

Thanks.

On it.

#92 ·
Congratulations. Looking forward to hearing your observations and those of others. I will not be able to get mine until the end of the month.

#98 ·
My S790 arrived this morning. (Also have the S590 and have tested the S390 for over a week too). The S790 is a bit heavier and the construction is certainly improved over the 590/390. Just feels more solid. The illuminated buttons on the top is a nice touch too. The remote control is also improved over the 590/390, with a bit of feedback in the button press.

Other than that ... since I don't own a 4K projector/display everything else appeared to be as the S590. Certainly the IP noise pro setting has more adjustments over the regular one on the S590. The video settings have more customization for BD/DVD/DLNA as well ... the owners manual doesn't exactly make it clear what "direct" and "auto" really do ... so be interested to hear other folks experiences with these settings.

One more thing. THis is a odd one. The SEN portal on the 790 seems to be in full 1080p resolution. With the 590, it appeared to look lower resolution. What does this mean in practice? Absolutely nothing, other than looking visually nicer ! Its the same apps as before .. and those look no different.

First thoughts .... s590 v 790 based on a $100 difference. Tough call. Think I'll need to use the player for a while to note the subtle differences.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.