Official 2012 Sony BDP-S790 Thread - Page 8 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #211 of 3508 Old 04-16-2012, 12:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
joerod, i am a 780 owner, i dont understand very well english, then i dont know if you answer this question before. The dual hdmi of 790 can transmit video signal simultaneously from hdmi1 and hdmi2? Because usually i have connected my hdmi out to my plasma display, but ocasionally i use a projector (weekend...) then i need unplug the hdmi cable and plug to projector. If both hdmi outs of 790 can send video signal then i dont need unplug and plug the cable....
And another question, has you compared the 2d-3d conversion of 790 with the 780?
And the last question, do you know (or anybody) if is possible connect the camera for skype to both usb inputs? in the 780 only can connect the camera to the front usb, then you cannot connect a hdd and camera simultaneously.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 3508 Old 04-16-2012, 12:47 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

I told oppo about 6 months ago (beta tester) they needed to come out with a
Player around 250 that offered as much or more than their 93. I was laughed at in the beta forum when I brought this up. I was serious though. I even said make it half the size. Call it a 93 lite or something but make sure it offered the same image quality while improving streaming. Told them the market they could not reach at 500 would embrace it. I guess someone heard me!

I'm sure Oppo has developed a reputation for quality; it's also likely some people WANT to pay a premium for bragging rights; but like Lexus and Acura, Sony may very well be able to duplicate their quality and performance at half the price. If so, Oppo must either drop prices or be driven out of business.
post #213 of 3508 Old 04-16-2012, 06:13 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi_Def_Boss View Post

I'm sure Oppo has developed a reputation for quality; it's also likely some people WANT to pay a premium for bragging rights; but like Lexus and Acura, Sony may very well be able to duplicate their quality and performance at half the price. If so, Oppo must either drop prices or be driven out of business.

Hopefully they do have something up their sleeve. I am not privy to that info though I do get a Christmas card with chocolates every year from them.

Search or copy and paste-> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com <-to check out my latest Reviews.

Check out these new Lighted Cup Holders:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1402680301175
post #214 of 3508 Old 04-16-2012, 08:01 AM

Liked: 36
Quote:

Hopefully they do have something up their sleeve. I am not privy to that info though I do get a Christmas card with chocolates every year from them.

Thanks, Joerod, for the wonderful review you published on the 790. Since you have a projector, I can appreciate your need for the improved PQ. However, I have a 'small' Samsung LED panel.

I watched some BDs and Netflix HD this weekend on my 590 and, honestly, I can't imagine what 'better' PQ would look like. The Netflix stuff looked unbelievable and, well, BDs are what they are.

I am tempted to upgrade for improved build quality - the 590 is irritating to look at, both with its goofy shape and the piano black plastic look. But I got mine at Target for 119.00 and I really can't justify going to 250.00 for better looking plastic

Cheers! -- Ken

"Play the volume as loud as you want - but don't touch my levels now. I got them set just like I like them"
post #215 of 3508 Old 04-16-2012, 08:06 AM

Hi guys,

I've been trawling the forums for some time making my eyes bleed lol and have now managed to readh through the Panny 220/320.etc, Sony S390/590 owners threads with interest.

I just got hold of a Panny 220 and have a few days to play and test it's streaming capabilities, which thus far have proved to be a bit of a mixed bag.

I've seen alot of excited comments and some subjective views from JoeRod (yes I read your review too Joe :P) about this S790.......I'm sure alot of what Joe has to say is true, however I cant help but think that Joe is on comission by Sony by the high level of excitement Joe is pushing onto everyone reading this thread. hehe.

Anyways, on topic, Im wondering why nobody has touched base on the S790's DLNA, USB, NAS/Shared Folders capabilities and Im wondering if none of you HT guys utilise a digital library to view your content instead of having to get up and put a disc in etc.

What file/container types are supported via USB, are the same supported via DLNA and what about NAS streaming with this unit?

There are features I like in this product as I do with the Panny, but since most of my library is in digital format (disks in various boxes in the loft), apart from VOD streaming, LAN streaming is very important to me, so would like to understand wht this unit is or is not capable of.

G.
post #216 of 3508 Old 04-16-2012, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krutsch View Post

Thanks, Joerod, for the wonderful review you published on the 790. Since you have a projector, I can appreciate your need for the improved PQ. However, I have a 'small' Samsung LED panel.

I watched some BDs and Netflix HD this weekend on my 590 and, honestly, I can't imagine what 'better' PQ would look like. The Netflix stuff looked unbelievable and, well, BDs are what they are.

I am tempted to upgrade for improved build quality - the 590 is irritating to look at, both with its goofy shape and the piano black plastic look. But I got mine at Target for 119.00 and I really can't justify going to 250.00 for better looking plastic

Cheers! -- Ken

If you scroll up a bit I listed out the differences between the 590/790.

So far with the s790 the Hulu + app crashed the player causing a reboot.

On two other occasions the video out went weird where in one case all the colors were wrong, and the other the screen just was all distorted and flickering. Restarting the player seemed to resolve them.

My s590 has yet to replicate them.
post #217 of 3508 Old 04-16-2012, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by george.mcdonald View Post

Hi guys,

I've been trawling the forums for some time making my eyes bleed lol and have now managed to readh through the Panny 220/320.etc, Sony S390/590 owners threads with interest.

I just got hold of a Panny 220 and have a few days to play and test it's streaming capabilities, which thus far have proved to be a bit of a mixed bag.

I've seen alot of excited comments and some subjective views from JoeRod (yes I read your review too Joe :P) about this S790.......I'm sure alot of what Joe has to say is true, however I cant help but think that Joe is on comission by Sony by the high level of excitement Joe is pushing onto everyone reading this thread. hehe.

Anyways, on topic, Im wondering why nobody has touched base on the S790's DLNA, USB, NAS/Shared Folders capabilities and Im wondering if none of you HT guys utilise a digital library to view your content instead of having to get up and put a disc in etc.

What file/container types are supported via USB, are the same supported via DLNA and what about NAS streaming with this unit?

There are features I like in this product as I do with the Panny, but since most of my library is in digital format (disks in various boxes in the loft), apart from VOD streaming, LAN streaming is very important to me, so would like to understand wht this unit is or is not capable of.

G.

Dnla features on the s790 are exactly the same as on the s590/390. If you've read through that thread it should have given you some ideas.

The formats the Sony supports are in the owners manual.

It would support NAS if it ran its own dnla server but it won't just see a network drive

Dnla / USB are now the same. USB now supports NTFS.

yes to Mkv but no vc-1 native. Only avc mpeg4

No divx in USA players.

No aac audio native.
post #218 of 3508 Old 04-16-2012, 08:34 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Hi guys,

G.

Believe it or not I am not paid by Sony or any company for that matter. This is just my hobby.

Search or copy and paste-> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com <-to check out my latest Reviews.

post #219 of 3508 Old 04-16-2012, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post

Dnla features on the s790 are exactly the same as on the s590/390. If you've read through that thread it should have given you some ideas.

The formats the Sony supports are in the owners manual.

It would support NAS if it ran its own dnla server but it won't just see a network drive

Dnla / USB are now the same. USB now supports NTFS.

yes to Mkv but no vc-1 native. Only avc mpeg4

No divx in USA players.

No aac audio native.

Thanks for the feedback.

Yes, I do have some ideas, but it is far from concise all of the formats the players are able to accomodate.

So if DLNA and USB are the same, it will play the same type of encoded or container file via both sources.....is how I interpet it.

Shame about VC1, but also shame that it will only support AVC in an MKV container what about MT2S, has this been tested?

Im not in USA but dont care much about Divx anyway.

Errrm, no AAC? What does this mean in real terms, if I have MKV containers with AAC audio, the audio will not be decoded?

G.
post #220 of 3508 Old 04-16-2012, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the feedback.

Yes, I do have some ideas, but it is far from concise all of the formats the players are able to accomodate.

So if DLNA and USB are the same, it will play the same type of encoded or container file via both sources.....is how I interpet it.

Shame about VC1, but also shame that it will only support AVC in an MKV container what about MT2S, has this been tested?

Im not in USA but dont care much about Divx anyway.

Errrm, no AAC? What does this mean in real terms, if I have MKV containers with AAC audio, the audio will not be decoded?

G.

The AAC comment was just for folks that may have a large iTunes purchased music library (thats non drm)

Yes, as far as I can tell USB and DLNA seem to behaving the same.

I've not tried MT2S, but I think thats ok. MT2S is listed in the book if I recall.
post #221 of 3508 Old 04-16-2012, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Folks, Sony Rewards have the s790 for $225 incl shipping. You'll have to add tax though, if thats applicable to you.
post #222 of 3508 Old 04-16-2012, 09:12 AM

Quote:

The AAC comment was just for folks that may have a large iTunes purchased music library (thats non drm)

Yes, as far as I can tell USB and DLNA seem to behaving the same.

I've not tried MT2S, but I think thats ok. MT2S is listed in the book if I recall.

So far so good then, thanks again.

One final question if I may, the Panny 220 Im currently playing around with will only allow fast forward or rewind functions on MP4 encoded files and then only via USB source, all other formats, although it will play them, if you ask it to fast forward it will only pause the stream.

Have you tried fast forwarding or rewinding any encoded material on the Sony and what is the behaviour from your experience?

G.
post #223 of 3508 Old 04-16-2012, 09:30 AM

Quote:

Believe it or not I am not paid by Sony or any company for that matter. This is just my hobby.

I do Joe, I was just 'jerking with you'....as you yanks so elegantly put it lol :P

I did however also try to make the point that one's comments can be percieved as overly enthusiastic and therefore be considered as biased, wrightly or wrongly, and thus have the opposite effect of the intended feedback

My hobby, for the record is the close examination of skimpy bikinis

G.
post #224 of 3508 Old 04-16-2012, 09:55 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi_Def_Boss View Post

This players supports SACD, upconverts to 4K, and has relatively sophisticated video processing at $250. Will this be the player to put oppo out of business?

I have both a the Oppo 93 and Sony S590. The S790 does not sound better or has better pq than the S590. The 93 does sound better than the S590, even when connected rca digitally to $18K Wadia S7i. I believe 4K is marketing fluff, especially right now.
post #225 of 3508 Old 04-16-2012, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So far so good then, thanks again.

One final question if I may, the Panny 220 Im currently playing around with will only allow fast forward or rewind functions on MP4 encoded files and then only via USB source, all other formats, although it will play them, if you ask it to fast forward it will only pause the stream.

Have you tried fast forwarding or rewinding any encoded material on the Sony and what is the behaviour from your experience?

G.

I've tried FF and REW and next chapter/ previous chapter search with MKV AVC mpeg 4 from DLNA and it works perfectly. A caveat though. This feature is dependent on the DLna server you're using and they way it can provide the info to the player. I'm using elgato eye connect. I've tried serviio too, and although the files playback fine ff/rw ran into some issues.
post #226 of 3508 Old 04-16-2012, 10:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post

Go Into VuDu - Select the COLLECTIONS tab - Then Down to SHOWCASE
tab. The 3D Collection was at the Very Bottom of the list - the last one.

Thanks!
post #227 of 3508 Old 04-16-2012, 10:35 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk2Me View Post

I have both a the Oppo 93 and Sony S590. The S790 does not sound better or has better pq than the S590. The 93 does sound better than the S590, even when connected rca digitally to $18K Wadia S7i. I believe 4K is marketing fluff, especially right now.

Really? I picked up a 590 at Target and also have the 93. The 790 after tweaking beats both. Especially with 3D! What display are you using?

post #228 of 3508 Old 04-16-2012, 11:29 AM

Quote:

I've tried FF and REW and next chapter/ previous chapter search with MKV AVC mpeg 4 from DLNA and it works perfectly. A caveat though. This feature is dependent on the DLna server you're using and they way it can provide the info to the player. I'm using elgato eye connect. I've tried serviio too, and although the files playback fine ff/rw ran into some issues.

Roger Wilco! Many thanks for the feedback it has been most useful.

Good to know up front about Servio temprament.

I will play with the Panny some more tonight but it looks like its going to be boxed back up for a refund.

G.
post #229 of 3508 Old 04-16-2012, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Really? I picked up a 590 at Target and also have the 93. The 790 after tweaking beats both. Especially with 3D! What display are you using?

I agree. As I said I'm normally not one for these additional video settings but the 790 with the default auto setting and film 2 mode for ip content looks improved over the 590 IMO.
post #230 of 3508 Old 04-16-2012, 11:32 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Quote:

I do Joe, I was just 'jerking with you'....as you yanks so elegantly put it lol :P

I did however also try to make the point that one's comments can be percieved as overly enthusiastic and therefore be considered as biased, wrightly or wrongly, and thus have the opposite effect of the intended feedback

My hobby, for the record is the close examination of skimpy bikinis

G.

G., great hobby! And for future reference, we Yanks like to elegantly (and not so eloquently) like to say someone is "jerking you around"........ but no harm, no foul.
post #231 of 3508 Old 04-16-2012, 11:40 AM
Advanced Member

To the owners who also have an Oppo 93, can you comment on:

1) How the DLNA streaming is compared to the Oppo 93 (I actually have great streaming with the 93 via PS3 Media Server)... is it comparable/better?

2) How is the noise of the player when running vs the 93? The 93 is, effectively, silent. But also tends to get quite warm due to the lack of fans. No issues from that thus far at all though.

And, probably a bit too big of a request... but can one of the owners shoot a quick video showing the actual performance of the Netflix UI? That is a HUGE deal to me. I'm hoping it's comparable to the PS3's performance (especially given that the 790 appears to be the only "dual-core" stand alone Bluray player ever).

Thanks in advance.
post #232 of 3508 Old 04-16-2012, 12:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Runco plasma 50DHD and Sharp LC-60C8470U
Where on Sony website does it say the S780 has any different video or audio processing? The only diff. I see is 4K and 2 hdmi.
post #233 of 3508 Old 04-16-2012, 01:01 PM

Liked: 17
I'm not going to argue whether the S790 has better PQ/AQ than other players, including Sony's older models. I suppose it all comes down to the type of setups people have as all BD Players from the major companies should offer similar PQ/AQ performance. With that being said, I currently own an old Sony S770 and a S780 and to my eyes, the S790 offers better PQ. No, the differences are not day and night, but the Picture is just better, awesome, and I just preffer it over my old Sony players. I too had the Panny 320 for a few days and again, I think the S790 PQ was superior......Now, I kept the player at the dafault video settings, Auto. Would that be the equivalent to "Standard" ? There's another one that says "Direct" not sure what that does. I am a firm believer that any tweaks should be done at the display and not the BD player, so I would like to make sure my S790 is outputting the picture at the standard level.
post #234 of 3508 Old 04-16-2012, 01:07 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk2Me View Post

You say have an oppo and a 590, yet you make claims about the PQ and AQ of the 790, which you don't have.
post #235 of 3508 Old 04-16-2012, 01:24 PM

Hi!
I´m new to this forum. Thank´s all for good info and nice chat.
However - have sony S790 a function with subtitleshift like oppo and philips bdp 9600??
/Pär
post #236 of 3508 Old 04-16-2012, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmeader View Post

And, probably a bit too big of a request... but can one of the owners shoot a quick video showing the actual performance of the Netflix UI? That is a HUGE deal to me. I'm hoping it's comparable to the PS3's performance (especially given that the 790 appears to be the only "dual-core" stand alone Bluray player ever).

Search the 590 and 390 thread on netflix. There's loads of posts on this, and the overall performance, both UI responsiveness and time to play. The 790 behaves no differently from the 590 and 390 in terms of load time (netflix) and UI responsiveness. Sony isn't going to rewrite all their client apps to support dual cores and multi-threading. It just isn't going to happen.
post #237 of 3508 Old 04-16-2012, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by perpetum View Post

Hi!
I´m new to this forum. Thank´s all for good info and nice chat.
However - have sony S790 a function with subtitleshift like oppo and philips bdp 9600??
/Pär

Not supported
post #238 of 3508 Old 04-16-2012, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortiz View Post

I'm not going to argue whether the S790 has better PQ/AQ than other players, including Sony's older models. I suppose it all comes down to the type of setups people have as all BD Players from the major companies should offer similar PQ/AQ performance. With that being said, I currently own an old Sony S770 and a S780 and to my eyes, the S790 offers better PQ. No, the differences are not day and night, but the Picture is just better, awesome, and I just preffer it over my old Sony players. I too had the Panny 320 for a few days and again, I think the S790 PQ was superior......Now, I kept the player at the dafault video settings, Auto. Would that be the equivalent to "Standard" ? There's another one that says "Direct" not sure what that does. I am a firm believer that any tweaks should be done at the display and not the BD player, so I would like to make sure my S790 is outputting the picture at the standard level.

I think if you want untouched video out you need to select "Direct". Auto (imo) attempts to do some "touching up". Its seems to work differently depending on what you are playing, so maybe has some "smarts" about it. Its a shame Sony don't provide any info on what it does ....
post #239 of 3508 Old 04-16-2012, 02:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Search the 590 and 390 thread on netflix. There's loads of posts on this, and the overall performance, both UI responsiveness and time to play. The 790 behaves no differently from the 590 and 390 in terms of load time (netflix) and UI responsiveness. Sony isn't going to rewrite all their client apps to support dual cores and multi-threading. It just isn't going to happen.

Thanks. Sounds good from the info on that thread. So I'm guessing that the DLNA performance is likewise identical? Sounds like the 590 would mostly fit the bill for me, but much prefer the shape of the 790, so will likely go for this one.
post #240 of 3508 Old 04-16-2012, 02:38 PM

Quote:

Joe, would the 790 help 3D performance on a handicapped 3D TV such as the Sony KDL-EX720 (i.e. 120HZ refresh rate)?
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Sony , Sony Bdps790 3d Blu Ray Player , Blu Ray Players , Sony Blu Ray Disc Player Bdp S790 , Sony Open Box Bdp S790 3d Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page