Panasonic DMP BDT500 - Page 10 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews > Blu-ray & HD DVD > Blu-ray Players > Panasonic DMP BDT500

Blu-ray Players

Brian-HD's Avatar Brian-HD
04:11 PM Liked: 30
post #271 of 1837
05-25-2012 | Posts: 2,227
Joined: Jan 2008
When compared 3D from the Sony 790, I like the the 500 a little more. The PQ was smooth when watching Hugo.
usxplong's Avatar usxplong
04:28 PM Liked: 82
post #272 of 1837
05-25-2012 | Posts: 629
Joined: Apr 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian-HD View Post

That is what the guy told me as well, but after talking to the floor manager, it was fine. Just let them know that it is sold by Amazon.

Thanks. I might give it a shot.
audiofan1's Avatar audiofan1
04:29 PM Liked: 624
post #273 of 1837
05-25-2012 | Posts: 3,459
Joined: Feb 2009
How flexible is the bass mngt on the analog outs? and also are the crossover settings global or independent and what range?
soprano_777's Avatar soprano_777
04:45 PM Liked: 10
post #274 of 1837
05-25-2012 | Posts: 145
Joined: Oct 2006
Amazon down to $309.85 one qick question have a pioneer elite 05 ,I know very slow, but the picture and sound are great , looking to upgrade how does the panasonic 500 stack up thanks for any info
Brian-HD's Avatar Brian-HD
04:57 PM Liked: 30
post #275 of 1837
05-25-2012 | Posts: 2,227
Joined: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by usxplong View Post

Thanks. I might give it a shot.

My display is the Sony 929 and the 500 works well to my liking. There are some minor playback issues that I have but can be corrected with FW.
rickcfer's Avatar rickcfer
05:14 PM Liked: 14
post #276 of 1837
05-25-2012 | Posts: 297
Joined: Feb 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian-HD View Post

My display is the Sony 929 and the 500 works well to my liking. There are some minor playback issues that I have but can be corrected with FW.

Care to elaborate on the playback issues? I'm interested in this player as I've had good luck with Panny BD players in the past.
Brian-HD's Avatar Brian-HD
05:22 PM Liked: 30
post #277 of 1837
05-25-2012 | Posts: 2,227
Joined: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickcfer View Post

Care to elaborate on the playback issues? I'm interested in this player as I've had good luck with Panny BD players in the past.

This is a great player. You will be happy with PQ and Audio, but BD playback last stopped is not working known blu rays that have this feature. This was also true with the Sony 790. This can be fixed with FW.
Brian-HD's Avatar Brian-HD
05:27 PM Liked: 30
post #278 of 1837
05-25-2012 | Posts: 2,227
Joined: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by usxplong View Post

Thanks. I might give it a shot.

Get it from Amazon $309
bakerwi's Avatar bakerwi
05:56 PM Liked: 37
post #279 of 1837
05-25-2012 | Posts: 2,872
Joined: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger View Post

I am currently using Panny BD85 5.1 analog to my non-hdmi Pioneer Elite receiver. If I get the 790 and have to use coaxial or optical out then my audio quality wouldn't be as good, right ?

Ranger,

I'm not familiar with the analog capabilities of the Panny BD85. However, the core audio (DTS-HD MA or Dolby TrueHD) sounds quite good to some ears through coaxial or optical; maybe even yours. If within your budget go with DMP-BDT500 which supports 7.1 analog. You would come out cheaper with the new Panny in my opinion if upgrading you AVR is not an option.
apw2607's Avatar apw2607
06:01 PM Liked: 207
post #280 of 1837
05-25-2012 | Posts: 2,332
Joined: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian-HD View Post

When compared 3D from the Sony 790, I like the the 500 a little more. The PQ was smooth when watching Hugo.

Is this with enhanced video settings disabled or enabled on each player ?
apw2607's Avatar apw2607
06:03 PM Liked: 207
post #281 of 1837
05-25-2012 | Posts: 2,332
Joined: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by PINKTULIPS7 View Post

Netflix is much improved with 1080P 5.1 DD or DTS also you can browse...

You are mistaken. There are no DTS streams with Netflix.
bakerwi's Avatar bakerwi
06:08 PM Liked: 37
post #282 of 1837
05-25-2012 | Posts: 2,872
Joined: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by PINKTULIPS7 View Post

Panasonic DMP-BDT500 is the most stylish and superb performance in PQ and Audio(7.1)...when I am comparing with Panasonic DMP-BD85K I would say Picture quality has improved by atleast 15/20% as well as Analog 7.1 output is far superior than DMP-BD85K whichone also excellent BD Player............Netflix is much improved with 1080P 5.1 DD or DTS also you can browse...Touch Sensor remote control is fast and very sensitive required some prackticing...only downside is that it is not capable to receive WIFI in 5GHZ only 2.4GHZ..........

Pink,

I would expect improvement in multi-channel analog, but how are you able to quantify a 10/20% improvement in PQ?
Brian-HD's Avatar Brian-HD
06:09 PM Liked: 30
post #283 of 1837
05-25-2012 | Posts: 2,227
Joined: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post


Is this with enhanced video settings disabled or enabled on each player ?

The enhanced video has to do with picture quality. I am talking about smoothness of the picture without a lot of flickering.
bakerwi's Avatar bakerwi
06:23 PM Liked: 37
post #284 of 1837
05-25-2012 | Posts: 2,872
Joined: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian-HD View Post

My display is the Sony 929 and the 500 works well to my liking. There are some minor playback issues that I have but can be corrected with FW.

Brian,

What media and titles? If I share the same media I will give it a try to see if I can replicate it.
Brian-HD's Avatar Brian-HD
07:42 PM Liked: 30
post #285 of 1837
05-25-2012 | Posts: 2,227
Joined: Jan 2008
Inception, LOR, and few more
PINKTULIPS7's Avatar PINKTULIPS7
08:13 PM Liked: 13
post #286 of 1837
05-25-2012 | Posts: 228
Joined: Sep 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerwi View Post

Pink,

I would expect improvement in multi-channel analog, but how are you able to quantify a 10/20% improvement in PQ?

A/B compairson side by side..same BD feed..PQ on BDT500 has more details and vibrant,more cleaner or sharper,Color are more richer and better black level.....
bakerwi's Avatar bakerwi
08:49 PM Liked: 37
post #287 of 1837
05-25-2012 | Posts: 2,872
Joined: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by PINKTULIPS7 View Post

A/B compairson side by side..same BD feed..PQ on BDT500 has more details and vibrant,more cleaner or sharper,Color are more richer and better black level.....

Gotcha!
dpippel's Avatar dpippel
08:52 PM Liked: 10
post #288 of 1837
05-25-2012 | Posts: 1,123
Joined: Apr 2002
Anyone using J River Media Center as a DLNA server with this player? Can't get it to work with either FLAC or WAV. Get a "Cannot play." error every time I choose a track. Same setup works like a charm with the S790.
apw2607's Avatar apw2607
09:52 PM Liked: 207
post #289 of 1837
05-25-2012 | Posts: 2,332
Joined: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian-HD View Post


The enhanced video has to do with picture quality. I am talking about smoothness of the picture without a lot of flickering.

Hmm. Interesting.
ti-triodes's Avatar ti-triodes
10:17 PM Liked: 71
post #290 of 1837
05-25-2012 | Posts: 2,245
Joined: Mar 2007
Wow! I'm glad so many people as seeing such marked video improvements with the 500. I'm especially happy since I ordered one yesterday. However, in my experience in owning 10 BD players I've never seen more than minor improvements in PQ from unit to unit. Are you guys sure you are matching settings properly? Can you shut off all the video processing on both units before making a comparison? If you are hooking up the units to different inputs on your monitor can you make sure everything is matched?

Since the improvements on the 500 are supposed to be audio related I can't see how there can be so much improvement in PQ over existing BD placers. We need proof guys!
MI55ION's Avatar MI55ION
11:06 PM Liked: 10
post #291 of 1837
05-25-2012 | Posts: 70
Joined: Dec 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-triodes View Post

Wow! I'm glad so many people as seeing such marked video improvements with the 500. I'm especially happy since I ordered one yesterday. However, in my experience in owning 10 BD players I've never seen more than minor improvements in PQ from unit to unit. Are you guys sure you are matching settings properly? Can you shut off all the video processing on both units before making a comparison? If you are hooking up the units to different inputs on your monitor can you make sure everything is matched?

Since the improvements on the 500 are supposed to be audio related I can't see how there can be so much improvement in PQ over existing BD placers. We need proof guys!

Lol even minor improvements in video quality would be a bonus, for me it's mostly about the sound quality. I do hope it lives up to all the marketing claims!
Latinoheat's Avatar Latinoheat
11:38 PM Liked: 248
post #292 of 1837
05-25-2012 | Posts: 2,167
Joined: Feb 2007
Interesting thread, I just bought a new GT 50 55" panasonic plasma and being thinking of upgrading to a new bluray player and what better than to go with the panny flagship. I've always had the PS3 and it's always being excellent to me. It always played everything I threw at it, but reading all these positive comments on picture quality and specially the way it looks, it makes me want one. Either this or the Oppo 93. Too bad amazon doesn't ship to canada. I'll keep my eye on this thread and decide soon, thanks to all the info from owners.
CaTaSTrOphiK's Avatar CaTaSTrOphiK
12:30 AM Liked: 11
post #293 of 1837
05-26-2012 | Posts: 417
Joined: Jan 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinoheat View Post

Interesting thread, I just bought a new GT 50 55" panasonic plasma and being thinking of upgrading to a new bluray player and what better than to go with the panny flagship. I've always had the PS3 and it's always being excellent to me. It always played everything I threw at it, but reading all these positive comments on picture quality and specially the way it looks, it makes me want one. Either this or the Oppo 93. Too bad amazon doesn't ship to canada. I'll keep my eye on this thread and decide soon, thanks to all the info from owners.

Sounds exactly like me except I got a 65" vt50. I however have older pioneer sc-05 am not sure if the analog outs help me at all with this unit but am sure that the dual hdmi out will help out a little by giving master audio and true hd for 3d. But I am debating just updating the receiver or the player but I do actually occasionally play games on the ps3 suppose I could do that in the bedroom but it is much sexier on the vt50 then my current old Sony LCD in the bedroom.
fatuglyguy's Avatar fatuglyguy
02:08 AM Liked: 169
post #294 of 1837
05-26-2012 | Posts: 1,567
Joined: Dec 2007
Have any owners of the 500 come from/done a comparison with last year's BDT310? I really like the design of the 500 but I already got an open-box 310 last year for $90. I don't need the analog outs so I'm not sure if the 500 would be worth it.

Right now I'm only using the 310 for 3D viewing but for most critical/2D/upconversion viewing I use my Sony 5000ES.
OtherSongs's Avatar OtherSongs
06:46 AM Liked: 15
post #295 of 1837
05-26-2012 | Posts: 1,663
Joined: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-triodes View Post

Since the improvements on the 500 are supposed to be audio related I can't see how there can be so much improvement in PQ over existing BD placers.

The audio improvements are likely only with the 5.1/7.1 RCA outs; I rather doubt that there's any improvement with audio via the HDMI cable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-triodes View Post

We need proof guys!

Ha ha.

Buy one yourself from a vendor that has a great return policy?
OtherSongs's Avatar OtherSongs
07:35 AM Liked: 15
post #296 of 1837
05-26-2012 | Posts: 1,663
Joined: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatuglyguy View Post

Have any owners of the 500 come from/done a comparison with last year's BDT310? I really like the design of the 500 but I already got an open-box 310 last year for $90. I don't need the analog outs so I'm not sure if the 500 would be worth it.

I got mine about noon yesterday.

Unplugged my Panasonic BMP BD85 blu-ray player and pugged in the new 500. I don't use HDMI for audio, only the 5.1 RCA outs.

BTW this 500 is a quiet unit. My only gripe with it is the honky front panel that is on hinges; completely useless! Which I'll pop off after I've got confidence that the unit is past the stage of suffering from early failure due to bad shipping or early use electronic chip failure.

So my comparison (still using default settings, haven't changed a thing in setup so far) is to a DB85 and not the BDT310.

The one thing that did surprise me was the improvement to blu-ray movie video; most notably better blacks, but also slightly better color saturation and slightly better detail.

Depends of course on the specific movie. e.g. I've so far re-watched 3 of my favorite blu-ray movie discs, and liked all of them much better with this new 500 player. FWIW I've so far only bought maybe 5 or 6 blu-ray movies and all of them for the better 5.1 sound that one generally can get.

For that matter it's unique to watch a movie that you've seen before and see it as a new experience, which is the one thing that I got from re-watching "Moulin Rouge"

The most interesting "improvement" with "Moulin Rouge" (the one with Kidman in it) was the 5.1 sound improvement via the RCA outs. With the 85 player (via the RCA outs) 5.1 sound was a disappointment, but not with this new 500 player! However I have no clue if the 5.1 sound via HDMI cable is improved.

FWIW the above "Moulin Rouge" movie already came with over-saturated colors, and the 500 player turned it into extremely vivid colors. Pretty striking! But given the nature of the movie (a very modern type of musical set in Paris more than 100 years in the past) maybe that's OK. The other two movies benefited from more saturated colors, and I bet that most blu-ray movies will be OK with this 500 player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatuglyguy View Post

Right now I'm only using the 310 for 3D viewing but for most critical/2D/upconversion viewing I use my Sony 5000ES.

This 500 player is no slouch for up-conversion of DVD movie.

I'm glad I got this 500 player and didn't spend more for something like an OPPO 93.
SpenceJT's Avatar SpenceJT
08:10 AM Liked: 25
post #297 of 1837
05-26-2012 | Posts: 1,072
Joined: Dec 2000
Picked up mine last night, and was too excited to get it connected that I neglected to capture an unboxing video.

Sorry

On to other matters. I have not yet evaluated much by way of audio and video, but have been concentrating on features. Love the improved Netflix interface - had video stuttering when streaming Netfix with 24fps enabled, so that's a minor issue. Other things of note will undoubtedly be addressedfuture firmware updates.

One disappointment is the remote control application for Android OS devices. The one that I've installed appears to be for Televisions, and the app for Panasonic Blu-Ray players is not yet compatible with Android OS 4.x.

I'm still trying to figure out how the 2D to 3D conversion works. Hoping tho check that out, as well as soon up some movies to evaluate how it compares to the DMP-BDT300 that it has replaced.

Looking forward to everyone's posts!
bakerwi's Avatar bakerwi
08:42 AM Liked: 37
post #298 of 1837
05-26-2012 | Posts: 2,872
Joined: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinoheat View Post

Interesting thread, I just bought a new GT 50 55" panasonic plasma and being thinking of upgrading to a new bluray player and what better than to go with the panny flagship. I've always had the PS3 and it's always being excellent to me. It always played everything I threw at it, but reading all these positive comments on picture quality and specially the way it looks, it makes me want one. Either this or the Oppo 93. Too bad amazon doesn't ship to canada. I'll keep my eye on this thread and decide soon, thanks to all the info from owners.

If you don't require most of the features of the Oppo, then I would lean towards the Panasonic, which would probably integrate better with your new Panasonic plasma and save you a few dollars. Not saying that the Oppo won't.
bakerwi's Avatar bakerwi
08:50 AM Liked: 37
post #299 of 1837
05-26-2012 | Posts: 2,872
Joined: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtherSongs View Post

My only gripe with it is the honky front panel that is on hinges; completely useless! Which I'll pop off after I've got confidence that the unit is past the stage of suffering from early failure due to bad shipping or early use electronic chip failure.

The front panel can be laid flat without removing it from the hinges. This is what I did.
hayatiakbas's Avatar hayatiakbas
12:30 PM Liked: 10
post #300 of 1837
05-26-2012 | Posts: 82
Joined: Dec 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerwi View Post


The front panel can be laid flat without removing it from the hinges. This is what I did.

Bur that panel removes the noise and make the player quite. Just get used to it mate.
Tags: Blu Ray Players , Lcd Hdtv , Panasonic , Panasonic Dmp Bdt500 Integrated Wi Fi 3d Blu Ray Dvd Player

Gear in this thread - Bdt500 by PriceGrabber.com
Reply Blu-ray Players

Subscribe to this Thread

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3