post #361 of 1802 Old 05-29-2012, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI55ION View Post

On a positive note, LPCM via hdmi is sounding better than anything I've heard before from other players. My processor only accepts LPCM and is quite fussy on low jitter player output. They match really well, the sound appears to have more layers to it and the timing is spot on. A bit cliched but i even heard subtle sounds that were previously masked on some of my reference material. The digital tube sound modes appear to do more harm than good so I gave up on them prefering straight unadulterated LPCM.

Agreed that this is a very good blu-ray player, and maybe even better when you need it's 5.1 RCA connector sound output.

I haven't tried the "tube sound modes" you mentioned above, but now I'll have to try them.

I did get around to playing several of my 2L music only blu-ray discs last night, and the 5.1 sound is outstanding!

Since you mentioned LPCM, I tried switching playback (keep in mind that I use the RCA analog outs of the 500 player) of the 2L blu-ray music discs from 5.1 DTS HD, to 5.1 LPCM, and to my surprise there were subtle differences. Weird. Both were excellent to superb. Maybe it's a circuitry / chip difference thing?

Happy I got this player and didn't spend a penny more!

The best is the enemy of the good. Voltaire (1694-1778)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 1802 Old 05-29-2012, 10:29 AM

Liked: 13
Since I gave up and cancelled my Panasonic Store order, I purchased it from BBmagnolia (I wanted it in-hand for the long weekend, so didn't wait for Amazon).

I agree with everyone else that the touch pad is horrible. Also, the Panny remote's IR signal isn't strong enough to bounce off my screen (Stewart Grayhawk) 16 feet away and make it back to the player (the DMP-BDT500 is on the bottom shelf of the end-table next to the couch where we sit). So I have to reach around and down and point the remote at the 500. So I will look into setting up my Logitech Harmony remote for this unit.

I am using the analog outputs and the sound is excellent! It is more full and rich than my Samsung BD-UP5000 that I just replaced. On the DMP-BDT500 I am using the default audio settings; I haven't even experimented with the other modes yet.

I have a 3.0 setup (left/right/center) so I selected the 7.1 analog output mode. The only funny thing is that the audio signal is less loud. My powered monitors show me the signal level (JBL LSR4328), and the 4328's native test tones are loud, and my HDTV tuner is loud, so the problem isn't amplification. So I will be adding a pre-amp into the analog chain for the DMP-BDT500 to boost the signal level that the 500 puts out.

Also, I still have the original firmware and haven't updated to 1.31 based on some comments from others here on issues/problems. So I'll wait for the next firmware go-around. I'm hoping that they do quite a bit of work to fix the interface and provide more user-level control.

Scott
post #363 of 1802 Old 05-29-2012, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSGUSA View Post

The next day after our local BB (Springfield, MO.) received the BDT500 I called and talked to the Magnolia manager and he was happy to match Amazon, no haggling required . At the time it was a 20.00 savings - no copy of the Amazon web-page required.

Not required but it makes it easier for the sales associate. They usually look at the copy verify that it is the regular Amazon sales and adjust the price. It may also lock in the Amazon price should it increase from the time you make the copy and the time you go to the store. The 500 has gone up about $6 since a few days ago. I think there was one case where they refused and that was because the Amazon price was too close to their break even selling price.

Clark
post #364 of 1802 Old 05-29-2012, 12:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Burk View Post

This really depends on the particular BB. I have never had them refuse to price match when I have brought in a copy of the web page from Amazon and the price is from Amazon directly and not one of their marketers. This will show as Amazon Prime.
This price can change by the hour according to supply on hand and competitors pricing so if you see a really good price don't wait too long as it could go up before the end of the day.

Thanks Clark Burk.
BB refused it completey. So I returned my BB unit and ordered one from Amazon Prime at 309.85 including 2 days shipping. I was supposed to get it tomorrow but when I got in the office this morning, it was delivered. Great deal.
post #365 of 1802 Old 05-29-2012, 12:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtherSongs View Post

Agreed that this is a very good blu-ray player, and maybe even better when you need it's 5.1 RCA connector sound output.

I haven't tried the "tube sound modes" you mentioned above, but now I'll have to try them.

I did get around to playing several of my 2L music only blu-ray discs last night, and the 5.1 sound is outstanding!

Since you mentioned LPCM, I tried switching playback (keep in mind that I use the RCA analog outs of the 500 player) of the 2L blu-ray music discs from 5.1 DTS HD, to 5.1 LPCM, and to my surprise there were subtle differences. Weird. Both were excellent to superb. Maybe it's a circuitry / chip difference thing?

Happy I got this player and didn't spend a penny more!

So LPCM sounds better than Bitstream thru HDMI?
post #366 of 1802 Old 05-29-2012, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 645824 View Post

Also, I still have the original firmware and haven't updated to 1.31 based on some comments from others here on issues/problems. So I'll wait for the next firmware go-around. I'm hoping that they do quite a bit of work to fix the interface and provide more user-level control.

Don't update firmware until there's something that they state is "fixed" and that you want/need. And then *think* about it for at least a week before you do it!

And absolutely do NOT do it "on the fly" via open ethernet web connection!

FWIW firmware on my 500 received 4 days ago from amazon is 1.22

Glad for you that you like your new 500.

I'm thrilled with mine.

post #367 of 1802 Old 05-29-2012, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by usxplong View Post

My sound is via RCA analog outs from the 500 player.

So I've no clue as to "Bitstream thru HDMI" on the 500 player.

Given that, I had a very slight preference for the 5.1 DTS HD playback, over the 5.1 LPCM playback.

It's a very early experience, and I plan to revisit it with my other 6 2L blu-ray music discs.

post #368 of 1802 Old 05-29-2012, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by usxplong View Post

LPCM or Bit (HDMi) = same result
post #369 of 1802 Old 05-29-2012, 12:54 PM
Advanced Member

Thank you all for answering my question.
post #370 of 1802 Old 05-29-2012, 01:05 PM

Liked: 10
I managed to get analogue working so thanks for the assist earlier.

The bass management on this player is very limited and it just about does the job, shame you cant change the crossover point, i'm guessing its fixed on the industry standard 80hz.

Having tried the analogues i can confirm the db level is lower so you need to crank it up a bit. As for sound quality, early days still but i have to say it is very good at this price point for both stereo and mc audio. Previous experience with bdp's at this price point and even above have always been dissapointing with a signature 'bright and boombastic' sound but not here. The sound is on the slightly warmer side of neutral which is a refreshing change. I don't think it'll challenge the top end Oppos or Denons of the world but it shure does punch above its price.

Having said that i do still prefer lpcm via hdmi to my processor over analogues, the bass management on it is better. Over analogue it sounds like the sub channel has a steep roll off or something as it just doesn't dig deep enough. With stereo and mc music though it actually does sound fine.

Nice to have the choice anyway.
post #371 of 1802 Old 05-29-2012, 03:33 PM

Quote:

I managed to get analogue working so thanks for the assist earlier.

The bass management on this player is very limited and it just about does the job, shame you cant change the crossover point, i'm guessing its fixed on the industry standard 80hz.

Having tried the analogues i can confirm the db level is lower so you need to crank it up a bit. As for sound quality, early days still but i have to say it is very good at this price point for both stereo and mc audio. Previous experience with bdp's at this price point and even above have always been dissapointing with a signature 'bright and boombastic' sound but not here. The sound is on the slightly warmer side of neutral which is a refreshing change. I don't think it'll challenge the top end Oppos or Denons of the world but it shure does punch above its price.

Having said that i do still prefer lpcm via hdmi to my processor over analogues, the bass management on it is better. Over analogue it sounds like the sub channel has a steep roll off or something as it just doesn't dig deep enough. With stereo and mc music though it actually does sound fine.

Nice to have the choice anyway.

Gentlemen, if you are using the 7.1 analog outputs on the player, you will need to crank up the subwoofer volume in the receiver by 5db. This is a common issue with bluray player analogue outputs. The digital formats compensate for the 5 db correction in the players and receivers don't need to be adjusted. More info on attached link.

http://www.bigpicturebigsound.com/Ho..._And_Why.shtml
post #372 of 1802 Old 05-29-2012, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by habibs View Post

Gentlemen, if you are using the 7.1 analog outputs on the player, you will need to crank up the subwoofer volume in the receiver by 5db. This is a common issue with bluray player analogue outputs. The digital formats compensate for the 5 db correction in the players and receivers don't need to be adjusted. More info on attached link.

Thanks for that info! It confirms why I need a pre-amp in my analog stream.

But I wish the DMP-BDT500 player would allow me to do that via settings. My speakers are nowhere near maxed out in sound level that they can produce, but the "knob" for gain is turned all the way up (see my post, #362).

In my system, there appears to be too many boxes that are decreasing the analog amplitude for these sorts of "headroom" reasons that were mentioned in your link...

Scott
post #373 of 1802 Old 05-29-2012, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by habibs View Post

Thanks for pointing that out, the sub channels (and all the rest) were calibrated using an AIX audio disc and spl meter for both bdp and processor. What I refer to above isn't really about lack of bass, rather there just seemed to be something missing in depth and overall the sub/sat integration wasn't as seamless.
post #374 of 1802 Old 05-29-2012, 06:14 PM

Liked: 16
Looking at this player seriously. Upgrading from my faithful Pioneer BDP-51fd that is really showing its age. I'm swimmingly happy with my audio via my Denon AVR so I dont want or need analog outputs.

My only question is in regards to this players video quality. Is there any difference in it between this and the bdt-320? The panasonic website apparently compares them identically on their website with regards to video processing:

http://shop.panasonic.com/compare/?i...Nbr=DMP-BDT310

Anything else I am missing here? I am using a logitech remote so I don't care about the touchpad.....

Please and thank you.
post #375 of 1802 Old 05-29-2012, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtherSongs View Post

Don't update firmware until there's something that they state is "fixed" and that you want/need. And then *think* about it for at least a week before you do it!

And absolutely do NOT do it "on the fly" via open ethernet web connection!

I absolutely agree with you. Especially since the DMP-BDT500 doesn't have the ability to go back to a previous version (according to the firmware download web page, see the excerpt below).

My old Samsung BD-UP5000 would allow going back to previous firmware versions; and this was indeed required once or twice when a bad firmware came out (Samsung would eventually fix the bad firmware, but it took them awhile).

So for now, I have 1.31 on a CD-R, but I am waiting for something later...

The firmware download page is here:
http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/
The latest appears to be dated May 21, 2012, and covers DMP-BDT120/220/221/320/321/500

But the following note is from the download page about firmware versions:
NOTE:
If the firmware version currently installed on the Panasonic Blu-ray Disc™ Player is the same or more recent than the firmware version on the update disc, "UNSUP/PORT" will be displayed for approximately 5 seconds on the front display of the Panasonic Blu-ray Disc™ Player. In this case, an update is unnecessary - please remove the disc.

Display on the Panasonic Blu-ray Disc™ Player:
UNSUP PORT

Interestingly, the source code (for something?) appears to be available from here:
http://panasonic.net/avc/oss/bdplayer/AWBPP12.html
But most of these I recognize as standard linux things. I haven't looked through them to see if there is anything Panasonic specific, or if these are just provided because they have to be via the GNU license.

Scott
post #376 of 1802 Old 05-30-2012, 04:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-triodes View Post

I'm planning on using the analog outs in my home office so that is of importance to me. In fact, unless you just want a metal chassis, the 500 should be overkill for most people. This is Panny's answer to the Oppo 95 and a couple of other units that boast improved analog audio. There shouldn't be much difference over HDMI than the 320 or even the 220.

I am enjoying the Panasonic, but it is not the answer to the Oppo 95 and a couple of other units. It is currently the least expensive transport that supports 7.1 analog. So I would consider it more of an alternative and a good one if you have budget considerations.

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

Oppo BDP-105, Denon DVD-5910CI, Cambridge 752BD, Cambridge 640C V2

Paradigm Signature S8, Paradigm Signature ADP1

Paradigm Signature ADP3, Paradigm Signature C5

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Oppo BDP-93, BDP-103D, Pioneer BDP-320

Sony BDP-S790

post #377 of 1802 Old 05-30-2012, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian-HD View Post

Flac plays fine on my player. I was having problem with 192/24 bit but it was my Anthem

Since I have an Anthem MRX500 and am planning to buy the BDT500, could you please explain how you fixed the problem? Thank you
post #378 of 1802 Old 05-30-2012, 05:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emidalla View Post

Since I have an Anthem MRX500 and am planning to buy the BDT500, could you please explain how you fixed the problem? Thank you

Turn off ARC in that input. This is with the 50.23 FW for flac files 192/24. The 50.12 FW do not have this issue. Flac files less 192/24 works with ARC on.
post #379 of 1802 Old 05-30-2012, 06:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Can someone who has both the Sony 790 and the Panasonic 500 compare the video quality in 2d and 3d and in hdmi audio quality?

JoeRod, have you received your 500 yet?

Thanks
post #380 of 1802 Old 05-30-2012, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Rex View Post

Can someone who has both the Sony 790 and the Panasonic 500 compare the video quality in 2d and 3d and in hdmi audio quality?

JoeRod, have you received your 500 yet?

Thanks

I have both and I think that they look about the same. The panny has less flickering on 3d when played Hugo, as far I can tell.
post #381 of 1802 Old 05-30-2012, 09:28 AM

I have an Onkyo TX-NR1007 and I am trying to hook this up to my panasonic dmp bdt500 in the best way.

just hooking up with hdmi cable was a huge improvement in dvd and cd sound quality. really noticeable, much silkier dvd performance, and the cd sound was really improved.

then i tried the 6 RCA cable trick for analog sound hookup. this was yet another big improvement, but i have some questions.

first, to use this the onkyo must be in "multichannel audio" mode. that means that cd playback is just the front 2 speakers, and the dvd playback is a mixdown from 6 or 7.1 to 5.1 but what i dont understand:

is (1) in cd mode can i play the subwoofer? or is that always just the fronts? (the panasonic has speaker equalization and level capabilities)

and (2) in dvd mode do i still get my audessey equalization from the onkyo? what about all the thx sound processing? (i guess i'm wondering what the signal path is)

also (3) is there a way to turn off all the video signal processing in the onkyo, or do i need a direct video hdmi to the tv, is that the best idea?

so i guess i'm trying to understand what i'm supposed to do in these cases, or what are the best practices...

Thanks in advance, Bill
post #382 of 1802 Old 05-30-2012, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

.....As for sound quality, early days still but i have to say it is very good at this price point for both stereo and mc audio.....I don't think it'll challenge the top end Oppos or Denons of the world but it shure does punch above its price.....

Mission,

This is kind of my early assessment of the Panasonic. I think it is great choice if require 7.1 analog, but don't need all the extra media support offered by the Oppo BDP-93. The biggest of this transport for me is having an additional transport that supports 7.1 and FLAC (if I can get it to play a single file).

Hopefully, I will have an opportunity to provide my subjective opinion on its analog vs the BDP-93.

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

Oppo BDP-105, Denon DVD-5910CI, Cambridge 752BD, Cambridge 640C V2

Paradigm Signature S8, Paradigm Signature ADP1

Paradigm Signature ADP3, Paradigm Signature C5

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Oppo BDP-93, BDP-103D, Pioneer BDP-320

Sony BDP-S790

post #383 of 1802 Old 05-30-2012, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billbayarea View Post

I have an Onkyo TX-NR1007 and I am trying to hook this up to my panasonic dmp bdt500 in the best way.

just hooking up with hdmi cable was a huge improvement in dvd and cd sound quality. really noticeable, much silkier dvd performance, and the cd sound was really improved.

then i tried the 6 RCA cable trick for analog sound hookup. this was yet another big improvement, but i have some questions.

first, to use this the onkyo must be in "multichannel audio" mode. ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerwi View Post

Mission,

This is kind of my early assessment of the Panasonic. I think it is great choice if require 7.1 analog, but don't need all the extra media support offered by the Oppo BDP-93. The biggest of this transport for me is having an additional transport that supports 7.1 and FLAC (if I can get it to play a single file).

Thanks for that early opinion.

I found the comment by billbayarea (quoted 1st, above) to be interesting, but not being familiar with his Onkyo TX-NR1007 (AVR? and I don't think he mentioned what his old player is) and leery of his long list of questions, figured that the issue of how 500 SQ (HDMI vs RCA analog outs) will slowly come out when one simply reads the occasional opinions on that, put forth in this AVS thread, by real owners of the 500 player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerwi View Post

Hopefully, I will have an opportunity to provide my subjective opinion on its analog vs the BDP-93.

I look forward to that.

I don't own a 93, but suspect that the SQ via the 500's 7.1 RCA analog outs is at least equal to that of the 93.

BTW re your comment "the extra media support offered by the Oppo BDP-93" would you be kind enough to list at least *2* of the extras (that one gets with a 93 player, aside from the support issue where OPPO wins hands down) that you think might be important for others?

post #384 of 1802 Old 05-30-2012, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by othersongs View Post

thanks for that early opinion.

i found the comment by billbayarea (quoted 1st, above) to be interesting, but not being familiar with his onkyo tx-nr1007 (avr? And i don't think he mentioned what his old player is) and leery of his long list of questions, figured that the issue of how 500 sq (hdmi vs rca analog outs) will slowly come out when one simply reads the occasional opinions on that, put forth in this avs thread, by real owners of the 500 player.

I look forward to that.

I don't own a 93, but suspect that the sq via the 500's 7.1 rca analog outs is at least equal to that of the 93.

Btw re your comment "the extra media support offered by the oppo bdp-93" would you be kind enough to list at least *2* of the extras (that one gets with a 93 player, aside from the support issue where oppo wins hands down) that you think might be important for others?

sacd

dvd a
post #385 of 1802 Old 05-30-2012, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian-HD View Post

sacd

dvd a

And PAL dvds.

"We did not have business relations with that company, Fuh Yuan."
post #386 of 1802 Old 05-30-2012, 02:19 PM

The Panasonic DMP BDT500 comes with three options:

1) HDMI

2) HDMI + sub HDMI

3) HDMI + RCA hookups

Can someone comment on the bext options to use and the various tradeoffs?

Thanks in advance...
post #387 of 1802 Old 05-30-2012, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

1) HDMI

2) HDMI + sub HDMI

3) HDMI + RCA hookups

Thanks in advance...

Can you AVR 3D?
Display 3D?
post #388 of 1802 Old 05-30-2012, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 290
Quote:

1) HDMI

2) HDMI + sub HDMI

3) HDMI + RCA hookups

Thanks in advance...

Well you paid good money for those analog outs, and said they sound a lot better, so why not stick with that? What's causing you to second guess?
post #389 of 1802 Old 05-30-2012, 02:37 PM

Thanks for the replies.

I think the analog outs bypass the Audyssey sound equalization in my Onkyo, and also the THX effects. (Actually I could use some help understanding what is and is not bypassed, I asked that question on the Onkyo thread.)

I definitely want to use the better DACS in the Panasonic... Can it supply an HDMI signal with bitsreamed audio? Would that be the best of both worlds? Sorry if that is a stupid question, that's why I'm asking.

Also I dont have any interest in 3D, thanks for asking however.
post #390 of 1802 Old 05-30-2012, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 290
Option 2 is useful only for 3D and an AVR that can't support 3D. Option 1 doesn't use the DACS in the Panasonic. But to utilize the processing/effects in you Onkyo, you must use Option 1. So you have to choose analog or bitstream, not both. If you don't use the analog or 2nd HDMI output for 3D, then you could have gotten by with the much cheaper 220.

Try both and let your ears decide.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Panasonic , Panasonic Dmp Bdt500 Integrated Wi Fi 3d Blu Ray Dvd Player , Blu Ray Players , Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page