post #451 of 1817 Old 06-03-2012, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamiraa View Post

Thanks. Should I be using the dual HDMIs one for video one for audio? I guess that would only "help" if the hdmi bandwidth is not enough to support full quality everything, so its compressing?

Does anyone else have the answer about picture quality of the 500 vs. 220? Is there a difference?

Helps with handshake as well. Your best bet if your AVR is old.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 1817 Old 06-03-2012, 01:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDPERSON View Post

Several things:

1. Bringing up comments from Home Theater HiFi magazine is very unprofessional of you, because it has nothing do with this discusssion and I would WARN anyone wishing to comment on tests in the magazine, this indivdual will try to use it against you elsewhere. I may contact the editor with a complaint.

I have no idea what you're talking about here. You mentioned in another thread at AVS that the Samsung BD-D6500 Player has the best BD picture quality, especially in Dynamic mode. I have tested that player and have the results for it on hand and simply pointed out what Dynamic does to the image coming out of the player. You're telling me that Dynamic looks best, I'm saying I disagree and the fact that it destroys dynamic range, highlights, and shadow detail is why.

Here is the link to your quote: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post21435452

Quote:

2. A few years ago you tested the Sony S570 and recommended it because you like the picture quality. Then you got your little toys and the numbers didn't add up, so you changed your recommendation to not. So these numbers told you that you were not seeing what you thought. LOL

I didn't write the initial review of the S570, I wrote the follow-up after testing. I also bought an S570 after all the initial positive reviews, and still have it here on a secondary system. For all I know Sony fixed the output later because of our testing. My guess is the player, after a reset, defaulted to the incorrect picture mode setting (Theater, not Standard), and caused the issue, but if that is how it behaves after a reset, that is what we used for the testing. We also did extensive A-B comparisons of it to the Oppo BDP-93 and could see the lack of smooth gradients, and the clipped dynamic range using Spears and Munsil.

I'll also point out that in the review I just did of the BDP-S590 I found that the YCbCr was correct, but the RGB output was incorrect, brought this to the attention of Sony, who confirmed it and is now fixing it. Because of this I wouldn't be surprised if they also fixed past players but I don't know it. Obviously Sony wasn't happy to have a device out there that didn't work correctly, and my qualified recommendation will improve if that is fixed.

Quote:

3. Consumer reports has all of the equipment you have and also use expert viewers and their results a published in their 2012 guide. You can read it.

If I drop by a bookstore soon, I'll try to see what they use. I doubt they're using a Quantum Data 882 to analyze the bitstream, or checking cadence locks at multiple resolutions and editing patterns, or noise reduction, or chroma upsampling, or mixed film and video editing. I'm going to guess it's a much simpler set of testing than we, and many other, video-oriented publications do.

Quote:

4. You can go to CNET 2012 Blu ray player reviews and click on the Blu Ray player comparison chart.

I have no idea what you mean by this.

Chris Heinonen
Senior Editor, Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity, www.hometheaterhifi.com
Displays Editor, AnandTech.com
Contributor, HDGuru.com and Wirecutter.com
ISF Level II Certified Calibrator, ReferenceHomeTheater.com
post #453 of 1817 Old 06-03-2012, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank_PD View Post

What do you mean by match the command codes? Will it work automatically with the 210 remote or you have to reprogram the remote or player? Any idea how to do this? I have the 210 and would be looking to use the remote with the 500.

Panny models have 3 or more remote codes so you can use more than one Panny unit in the same room. They are set up on remote code 1 out of the box. In most cases you don't need to do anything. In my case I have a Panny DVD/HDD Recorder set to code 1 so I switched the 500 over to code 2.

If you want to change the code for some reason go to Home>Setup>Player Settings>System>Remote Control. Change the code number and instructions immediately come up on screen to finish the process.
post #454 of 1817 Old 06-04-2012, 01:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-triodes View Post

Panny models have 3 or more remote codes so you can use more than one Panny unit in the same room. They are set up on remote code 1 out of the box. In most cases you don't need to do anything. In my case I have a Panny DVD/HDD Recorder set to code 1 so I switched the 500 over to code 2.

If you want to change the code for some reason go to Home>Setup>Player Settings>System>Remote Control. Change the code number and instructions immediately come up on screen to finish the process.

Thanks for the info! I was worried it would be more difficult than that.
post #455 of 1817 Old 06-04-2012, 05:27 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
If anyone wishes to see a comprehensive bl;u ray player comparison chart go to:

http://reviews.cnet.com/best-blu-ray-players/

and click on cnet blu ray comparison chart
post #456 of 1817 Old 06-04-2012, 06:44 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

If you select secondary audio, you'll only get stereo on the digital audio connection. See pg 29 of the 500's manual. This is because the player has to decode the audio from the movie's audio to PCM in order to mix in the secondary audio. The 500 does not include a Dolby surround sound encoder which it would need in order to regenerate a multichannel signal. Digital coax and optical audio connections support only stereo PCM and lossy DolbyDigital and DTS multichannel audio. You need an HDMI-capable AVR to get multichannel PCM or bitstreamed lossless Dolby or DTS multichannel audio.

Seldon, thanks for the reply. On pg 29 of the manual it states that for Dolby D/Dolby D+/Dolby TrueHD and DTS/DTS-HD set the audio signal to PCM if the AVR "cannot decode the respective audio format." However, my AVR can decode Dolby Digital & DTS (just not the other formats) and that's why I chose bitstream. If I set them to Bitstream and I select BD-Video Secondary Audio to "off", I don't get any sound, if I leave the Secondary Audio to "on" I get sound. I was just wondering that even though I'm getting sound, if that's really the best setting.

Quote:

Speaker setup is mentioned on page 30 of the 500's manual. It claims you can specify whether or not a speaker is present. You should be able to set LFE and surround speakers to "not present". I don't have a 500, so I can't verify this.

I thought that was for the analog outputs only.
post #457 of 1817 Old 06-04-2012, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If anyone wishes to see a comprehensive bl;u ray player comparison chart go to:

http://reviews.cnet.com/best-blu-ray-players/

and click on cnet blu ray comparison chart

Thank you for posting the link.
post #458 of 1817 Old 06-04-2012, 08:59 AM
TSO

Liked: 13
Quote:

Several things:
Consumer reports has all of the equipment you have and also use expert viewers and their results a published in their 2012 guide. You can read it.

Unfortunately, not so.
Since I don't work for or represent any competing entity, I will speak out on this.

"Consumer Reports" is a publication for "Joe Six Pack". They review audio and video equipment, but they also review toothbrushes, toilet paper, vacuum cleaners...the list is endless.

Their method of review is comparatively shallow. And, they review for things that the average "______-phile" (videophile, audiophile, etc). Could care less about, such as "How easy is it to buy this product at Walmart", or "can my 90 year old Granny use it?".

The weight they place on these peripheral criterion will often skew even the rudimentary scientific testing they do. They usually state this somewhere in the review, but you could miss it.
It comes out like this "The XV100 performed quite a bit better in our _____ test, but because it is only available at Best Buy and NOT at Target and Walmart, we ranked it behind the HJ250, which IS available at more stores".

Consumer reports is good for avoiding lemons - products that are obviously inferior in their design or performance, or ones that may perform well but are flimsy or short lived.

However, I would NEVER depend upon them for choosing between the top 25% of products in ANY category.

In my mind, quoting them or basing your arguments on their reports when talking about any product as "best in class" (or even in the top 10) invalidates your argument, and undermines your creditability.

Sorry
slimm likes this.
post #459 of 1817 Old 06-04-2012, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 736 Post(s)
Liked: 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opuntia View Post

Seldon, thanks for the reply. On pg 29 of the manual it states that for Dolby D/Dolby D+/Dolby TrueHD and DTS/DTS-HD set the audio signal to PCM if the AVR "cannot decode the respective audio format."

That capability most often is used for older HDMI-capable AVRs which don't have enough CPU power to be able to both decode the high-bitrate lossless audio tracks and apply room equalization algorithms at the same time. i.e. for the conversion of high-bitrate multichannel lossless Dolby and DTS tracks to high-bitrate multichannel lossless LPCM in the player.
Quote:

However, my AVR can decode Dolby Digital & DTS (just not the other formats) and that's why I chose bitstream. If I set them to Bitstream and I select BD-Video Secondary Audio to "off", I don't get any sound

]Some AVRs can't handle the high bitrates used for the "core" (lossy) Dolby and DTS signals on Blu-ray discs. I fear this might be the case with your AVR. At least, that would explain why bitstreamed audio is silent for you.
Quote:

if I leave the Secondary Audio to "on" I get sound. I was just wondering that even though I'm getting sound, if that's really the best setting.

When Secondary Audio is enabled, the player can only output PCM, which is limited to two-channel stereo over the SPDIF coax and optical digital connections. The bitrate used for stereo PCM is the same as is used for CDs (or at most only slightly higher), so that explains why you can hear the results when you enable "mixing".

A suggestion:
Many BDs include standard DD5.1 audio tracks, too, although they're usually soundtracks dubbed with different languages. You might try selecting one of them as a test when you enable bitstreaming without Secondary Audio.

I don't normally listen to those tracks, so I don't know what bitrates they use. If you could provide a (short!) list of BDs you'd like to try this with, I could take a look this evening (about 8 hours from now) to see if I have any of them. My Sony player can display the bitrates of the audio and video tracks and thus I could determine if they're low enough that you should be able to hear them.

Quote:

I thought that was for the analog outputs only.

Sorry, yes. I thought you wanted to try that as an alternative to the digital connection. (i.e. hook up the L/C/R analog outputs of the player to the L/C/R inputs of the multichannel analog input set on your AVR.)

Configuring your AVR's speaker settings with surrounds and LFE disabled will cause it to downmix incoming 5.1 digital audio to your 3.0 speakers. (Presumably you've already done this.) Also, if you turn on Dolby ProLogic in your AVR, it should expand two-channel stereo (either digital or analog) to use the center speaker. With ProLogic disabled, I believe that two-channel stereo tracks should cause only your Left and Right speakers to be active, and not the Center.

At some point you might want to consider replacing your AVR with one that supports HDMI. That'd eliminate these annoyances, although it'll introduce you to some others

Selden

Marantz SR7009/7.1.4/FH+TM/DefTech PM1000/LCR+TM amped
post #460 of 1817 Old 06-04-2012, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSO View Post

Unfortunately, not so.
Since I don't work for or represent any competing entity, I will speak out on this.

"Consumer Reports" is a publication for "Joe Six Pack". They review audio and video equipment, but they also review toothbrushes, toilet paper, vacuum cleaners...the list is endless.

Their method of review is comparatively shallow. And, they review for things that the average "______-phile" (videophile, audiophile, etc). Could care less about, such as "How easy is it to buy this product at Walmart", or "can my 90 year old Granny use it?".

The weight they place on these peripheral criterion will often skew even the rudimentary scientific testing they do. They usually state this somewhere in the review, but you could miss it.
It comes out like this "The XV100 performed quite a bit better in our _____ test, but because it is only available at Best Buy and NOT at Target and Walmart, we ranked it behind the HJ250, which IS available at more stores".

Consumer reports is good for avoiding lemons - products that are obviously inferior in their design or performance, or ones that may perform well but are flimsy or short lived.

However, I would NEVER depend upon them for choosing between the top 25% of products in ANY category.

In my mind, quoting them or basing your arguments on their reports when talking about any product as "best in class" (or even in the top 10) invalidates your argument, and undermines your creditability.

Sorry

I am more charitable toward them because I think they are providing a very useful role to many people. They also are pretty concerned about avoiding problems and getting value. I think the average customer can find a lot in their reviews.

"___philes" simply have different levels of knowledge, ability to deal with things, and higher requirements that may have a certain "price-is-no-object" tone. That is their game, more power to them.

I used to be in the "____phile" category but now find myself in the "value" category. Hence, my interest in the Panasonic 500 instead of the Oppo 93. [I need analog outs.]
post #461 of 1817 Old 06-04-2012, 11:27 AM

Liked: 27
Quote:

Thanks. Should I be using the dual HDMIs one for video one for audio? I guess that would only "help" if the hdmi bandwidth is not enough to support full quality everything, so its compressing?

Does anyone else have the answer about picture quality of the 500 vs. 220? Is there a difference?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian-HD View Post

Helps with handshake as well. Your best bet if your AVR is old.

I'm using a Denon AVR4311CI. Should I be using dual hdmis in this case?

I "think" if I use dual hdmis I will need to plug 1 into my projector directly (video output from the Panasonic), and the audio just into the receiver? Because you can't tell the receiver to grab video from input 1 hdmi, and sound for hdmi 2 at the same time. Can someone comment on this?

I think I will then lose my up-convert capability inside the Denon with this method.

I'm "OK" with that, if the sound will be much better.

Am I gaining anything with this setup or doing something not advised?

The big advantage the Panasonic engineer said was the BDT500 is a dual core , versus single core on the BDT200 (might mater with bigger MKVs?)

He said the slot was moved to the center for a better center of gravity (less vibration), and it has isolation feet on it.

Mostly he said the big big difference was the analog 7.1 which is suppose to be amazing, but sounds like no point for me to run it with my setup.

He didn't go into the dual HDMI's though . .

Can anyone can assist with my questions above ? Thanks in advance!!
post #462 of 1817 Old 06-04-2012, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I "think" if I use dual hdmis I will need to plug 1 into my projector directly (video output from the Panasonic), and the audio just into the receiver? Because you can't tell the receiver to grab video from input 1 hdmi, and sound for hdmi 2 at the same time. Can someone comment on this?

I think I will then lose my up-convert capability inside the Denon with this method.

The big advantage the Panasonic engineer said was the BDT500 is a dual core , versus single core on the BDT200 (might mater with bigger MKVs?)

He said the slot was moved to the center for a better center of gravity (less vibration), and it has isolation feet on it.

Mostly he said the big big difference was the analog 7.1 which is suppose to be amazing, but sounds like no point for me to run it with my setup.

1) Single HDMI BD>>AVR>>TV
2) I am sure Denon has pass through
3) If you have HDMI, use it for movies. And if you want to play SACD and want to compare the analog to HDMI then analog is likely to sound better.
post #463 of 1817 Old 06-04-2012, 01:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Running the video through the Denon might have a very small loss of chroma detail, but if you can disable all video processing on the video input for the Blu-ray input on the receiver it might take care of that. It's a very, very hard issue to notice other than on a test pattern, though.

With analog, the one thing you will lose if going the analog route is any room correction (Audyssey MultEQ XT32) on the Denon. Almost nothing does Analog to Digital conversion on the multichannel analog inputs now (without spending $5,000 or more) so it can't be used. You can do bass management inside of the Panasonic, but no room correction to that signal. I'd listen to both and see what you prefer, that's the best way to go.

Chris Heinonen
Senior Editor, Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity, www.hometheaterhifi.com
post #464 of 1817 Old 06-04-2012, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smackrabbit View Post

Running the video through the Denon might have a very small loss of chroma detail, but if you can disable all video processing on the video input for the Blu-ray input on the receiver it might take care of that. It's a very, very hard issue to notice other than on a test pattern, though.

With analog, the one thing you will lose if going the analog route is any room correction (Audyssey MultEQ XT32) on the Denon. Almost nothing does Analog to Digital conversion on the multichannel analog inputs now (without spending $5,000 or more) so it can't be used. You can do bass management inside of the Panasonic, but no room correction to that signal. I'd listen to both and see what you prefer, that's the best way to go.

Is this true with all AVRs?
post #465 of 1817 Old 06-04-2012, 02:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian-HD View Post

Is this true with all AVRs?

Most of them with video conversion, yes. On my Marantz AV7005 (Marantz and Denon are the same parent company, so they share some technology, so the Denon might be the same) if I turn Video Convert to off, it works fine. If I have it on, it loses detail. Same with the Onkyo preamp and other components. The Pioneer SC-57 did not, so it gets a pass. It's a bad colorspace conversion that causes it. I need to start testing the RGB and YCbCr output of receivers to make sure they don't mess up the data in the future.

Chris Heinonen
post #466 of 1817 Old 06-04-2012, 04:14 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Does the 500 have the Netflix bug that is being discussed on the 220/320 thread? It seems lots of people taking back the other Panasonic models? Still have my 500 sealed in its box. Wondering if I should take it back?
post #467 of 1817 Old 06-04-2012, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Rex View Post

Does the 500 have the Netflix bug that is being discussed on the 220/320 thread? It seems lots of people taking back the other Panasonic models? Still have my 500 sealed in its box. Wondering if I should take it back?

Turned off after 1 hour. Never happened to me on any NetFlix movies.
post #468 of 1817 Old 06-06-2012, 03:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Nice job AVS
post #469 of 1817 Old 06-06-2012, 10:52 AM

Liked: 27
Well I put my Panasonic 500 on order. Good employee discount = )
post #470 of 1817 Old 06-06-2012, 10:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI55ION View Post

I managed to get analogue working so thanks for the assist earlier.

The bass management on this player is very limited and it just about does the job, shame you cant change the crossover point, i'm guessing its fixed on the industry standard 80hz.

Having tried the analogues i can confirm the db level is lower so you need to crank it up a bit. As for sound quality, early days still but i have to say it is very good at this price point for both stereo and mc audio. Previous experience with bdp's at this price point and even above have always been dissapointing with a signature 'bright and boombastic' sound but not here. The sound is on the slightly warmer side of neutral which is a refreshing change. I don't think it'll challenge the top end Oppos or Denons of the world but it shure does punch above its price.

Having said that i do still prefer lpcm via hdmi to my processor over analogues, the bass management on it is better. Over analogue it sounds like the sub channel has a steep roll off or something as it just doesn't dig deep enough. With stereo and mc music though it actually does sound fine.

Nice to have the choice anyway.

MI55ION, I'm hoping you or perhaps anyone else who is using this player's analog multichannel outputs and has done an audio calibration can comment on whether two issues with its BDT300 and 350 predecessors have been addressed/resolved.

One is that the volume adjustments are only negative. In other words, you can only decrease the volume of any given speaker. You can't assign a positive db value to any speaker's level since the adjustment scale maxes out at 0db.

The other is that the left and right surround and the left and right surround back channel volumes levels are locked together. You can not independently assign differing volume levels to L surround versus R surround or L surround back versus R surround back.

My understanding is that the "calibratability" of the 300 and 350 was more flexible originally, but it was then altered/restricted by a later firmware update.

What's the situation with the 500 in these regards? Thanks.
post #471 of 1817 Old 06-07-2012, 01:43 AM

I have a question regarding connectivity for listening to CD's...

Should I just stick with HDMI and let my receiver (Yamaha RX-2010) do the work? Connect it via coax to my Cambridge Audio DAC Magic? Or via RCA to my receiver and let the Panny do the DAC?

Don't really want to splash out on more cables unless there is a real benefit.

My instinct says connect to the Cambridge Audio DAC, as the DAC in this unit will be superior to both the receiver and Pansonic.

Not expecting much from the Panasonic at this price point (DAC wise), however, I may be wrong.
post #472 of 1817 Old 06-07-2012, 03:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 736 Post(s)
Liked: 503
You will have to listen to find out which you prefer.

Analog connections to the AVR normally require the AVR to redigitize the analog signals before it can amplify them. That extra digitization has the potential of adding jitter and slightly raising the noise floor. Whether either is (or even can be) audible is debatable -- and often is argued about on the forum. To avoid redigitization, you have to either select "Pure Direct" or use the multichannel analog inputs. In either case, you would not be able to use the AVR's bass management or YPAO room correction. (Actually, it isn't obvious from the AVR's manual if "Pure Direct" really bypasses the A-to-Ds for any of the stereo analog inputs or just minimizes the amount of processing being applied. The multichannel inputs aren't digitized.)

HDMI to your AVR will provide the most accurate output with the most options. You can use bass management so low frequencies that your main speakers can't handle so well get redirected to your subwoofer, and YPAO can be applied to correct for infelicities in your speakers and room.

Selden

Marantz SR7009/7.1.4/FH+TM/DefTech PM1000/LCR+TM amped
post #473 of 1817 Old 06-07-2012, 05:04 AM

I reviewed the BDT500 at Magnolia in Best Buy. It was set up with a Blu Ray of Avatar attached with HDMI to a Panasonic Plasma TV. I watched the picture for a little over 5 minutes. The picture was awful. It look liked a poor DVD. I will not be purchasing this machine.
post #474 of 1817 Old 06-07-2012, 05:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDPERSON View Post

I reviewed the BDT500 at Magnolia in Best Buy. It was set up with a Blu Ray of Avatar attached with HDMI to a Panasonic Plasma TV. I watched the picture for a little over 5 minutes. The picture was awful. It look liked a poor DVD. I will not be purchasing this machine.

the tv was probably set to vivid. not the best choice for video.

Jacob
post #475 of 1817 Old 06-07-2012, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Never evaluate a display or a player at a store like Best Buy. Who knows what the settings on the TV and BDP500 were? Probably not even the sales droids, but I wouldn't be surprised if both were completely jacked up. Purchase the player from a retailer with a good 30 day return policy and use the Panasonic in YOUR system. It's the only way you'll know if it's for you or not.
post #476 of 1817 Old 06-07-2012, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mremulator View Post

I have a question regarding connectivity for listening to CD's...
Should I just stick with HDMI and let my receiver (Yamaha RX-2010) do the work? Connect it via coax to my Cambridge Audio DAC Magic? Or via RCA to my receiver and let the Panny do the DAC?

Amazon shows a Yamaha RX-A2010BL AVR at $1500; if that's your AVR odds are it has an adequate DAC inside it and simplest cable setup from your new Panasonic 500 player is HDMI cable only, or HDMI cable and also a coax digital RCA cable for S/PDIF output for stereo listening to your CD's. So that's either one cable or two cables.
Quote:

Don't really want to splash out on more cables unless there is a real benefit.

My instinct says connect to the Cambridge Audio DAC, as the DAC in this unit will be superior to both the receiver and Pansonic.

I wouldn't bet on that, that's something you actually have to try with the gear that you've got on hand. A setup that's easy to use is generally preferable to something complicated.

BTW the DAC in this Panasonic 500 player is very very good.
Quote:

Not expecting much from the Panasonic at this price point (DAC wise), however, I may be wrong.

My own opinion of this new Panasonic 500 blu-ray player is that it exceeds it's street price of $300.

I've only used the rear 7.1 RCA analog outs for sound. So I have 7 cables in use which is messy: 6 for audio and 1 for video.

So with regard to your underlying question of SQ (Sound Quality) of the playback, we've yet to see a meaningful post on the subject of HDMI SQ (where an external DAC gets used) vs SQ of the Panasonic 500's DAC when one (me) uses it's rear 7.1 RCA analog outs.

I can add that I only own 6 blu-ray movie discs and maybe 6 blu-ray audio discs.

I'm often disappointed that there's little mention of discs that one uses to make SQ judgements as it is certainly pertinent. Of my 6 blu-ray movie discs, these 4 have great 5.1 sound (changed from "great sound") and IMO are worth buying (alphabetically):

1. Alice in Wonderland (with Johnny Depp)

2. Moulin Rouge (with Kidman); I was disappointed with this disc with my one other blu-ray player (Panasonic DMP_BD85) but that reversed itself with the new 500 player; a MAJOR pleasant surprise; BTW the color on this disc is over saturated and the stock 500 settings make it worse.

3. The Phantom of the Opera, 25th anniversary; ear opening sound. 1/3 reminds me of 2 cats on the back porch at 2AM frown.gif, the other 2/3 is sound to die for. 1st opera that I'll watch/listen to again.

4. Pride & Prejudice (with Keira Knightly), romance plot with very mushy ending. Great sound and great verbal exchanges. Quite a performance for the then 20 year old Knightly.

The best is the enemy of the good. Voltaire (1694-1778)

post #477 of 1817 Old 06-07-2012, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:

So you blamed the transport for the crappy picture you witnessed at a Best Buy.eek.gif

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

Oppo BDP-105, Denon DVD-5910CI, Cambridge 752BD, Cambridge 640C V2

Paradigm Signature S8, Paradigm Signature ADP1

Paradigm Signature ADP3, Paradigm Signature C5

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Oppo BDP-93, BDP-103D, Pioneer BDP-320

Sony BDP-S790

post #478 of 1817 Old 06-07-2012, 11:53 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

Something doesn't sound right... I have it hooked up to my Panasonic 55GT50, set to THX Cinema - and it's fantastic... 3D is really great, too... As others have said, evaluating equipment in BB or other stores without knowing how they are set up isn't really a good idea... It wouldn't have worked at all for me - the BDT500 at my local BB/Magnolia was only a plastic mockup - the picture looked HORRIBLE... the sound was atrocious! Must not have been using expensive, high-speed cables... Haha - sorry...

Larry
post #479 of 1817 Old 06-07-2012, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBecker View Post

Something doesn't sound right... I have it hooked up to my Panasonic 55GT50, set to THX Cinema - and it's fantastic... 3D is really great, too... As others have said, evaluating equipment in BB or other stores without knowing how they are set up isn't really a good idea... It wouldn't have worked at all for me - the BDT500 at my local BB/Magnolia was only a plastic mockup - the picture looked HORRIBLE... the sound was atrocious! Must not have been using expensive, high-speed cables... Haha - sorry...
Larry

Yeah, they must have been using Monoprice trash hdmi cables. LOL. I was ready to purchase the 500 but when I saw the picture, I was surprised. Something was up. Avatar should have looked excellent. The Samsung was playing Dark Knight on a Sammy TV and looked great.
post #480 of 1817 Old 06-07-2012, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerwi View Post

So you blamed the transport for the crappy picture you witnessed at a Best Buy.eek.gif

Don't get in a huffy. You don't own the Panasonic Company. Hell, I like Panasonic Blu Ray players, but I didn't buy one because of what I saw. I own the 220 and the picture/sound quality is great.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Lcd Hdtv , Panasonic , Panasonic Dmp Bdt500 Integrated Wi Fi 3d Blu Ray Dvd Player
Gear in this thread - Bdt500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page