Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 1802 Old 06-21-2012, 02:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Rex View Post

My theater is still down for renovation so I went over to my brother's theater to compare the Panasonic 500 to the Sony 790 on his Sony 95 projector. He has a 115" wide HP 2.8 scope screen.
In 2d the images were very similar, beautiful. In 3d things got a bit interesting. Both the Sony and the Panasonic produce a great 3d picture, but there are some differences. Watching Avatar with the 500 3d looked a bit smoother frame to frame and the movie just seemed to have more 3d depth. With Transformers 3 we watched the scene where the people in the webbed suits were jumping out of the plane and where the building got torn in half. In the past I have experienced major eyestrain with this particular movie in 3d, particularly with these scenes. On the 500 it seemed that there was less flicker which created a smoother and more stable 3d image. My eye fatigue was reduced on the 500 during this movie.
My brother thought the 3d on the 790 created an image that was slightly sharper to the 500, but agreed that the 500 had more 3d depth. The GUI on the Sony was very user friendly as was the remote.
I will likley get the 790 for my bedroom due to less glitchy streaming, but for the theater (Sony 1000es projector) I will get the Panasonic 500 for 3d movies. It seems that Panasonic's Advanced Chroma Sampling may be the real deal.

Aside from screen size, how would you compare the quality of the 3-D experience at a commercial theater vs. home theater?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 1802 Old 06-21-2012, 04:58 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 111
If you use a couple of the 790's "enhancements" you can improve the 3D quite a bit. Also if you use a Darblet with either player... eek.gif

For my latest Reviews and stuff Search -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com
Follow me: @joerodhometheat
Check out my Dolby Atmos/Surround first take:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #543 of 1802 Old 06-21-2012, 02:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Joerod, the 790's enhancements were dialed in by my brother similar to your settings but he backed off on one of them...not sure which one. My guess is when you compared both players on your 1000, that projector is so good with 3d that both players produced a great 3d picture. The differences in the players may be a bit more apparent with the 95, which is very good with 3d, but is certainly not reference. Not sure for sure.
post #544 of 1802 Old 06-21-2012, 02:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by johncourt View Post

Aside from screen size, how would you compare the quality of the 3-D experience at a commercial theater vs. home theater?

I really don't go to commercial theaters anymore. My brother does. He has not been to an IMAX 3d movie theater, but he has been to many other theaters. He said there is no comparison. His home theater produces a much brigher and sharper image. He says his theater also has more 3d depth. It is difficult to find commercial theaters with a bright 3d image. I am sure is High Power screen has a lot to do with his excellent 3d image.
post #545 of 1802 Old 06-21-2012, 07:16 PM

Liked: 19
Quote:

I really don't go to commercial theaters anymore. My brother does. He has not been to an IMAX 3d movie theater, but he has been to many other theaters. He said there is no comparison. His home theater produces a much brigher and sharper image. He says his theater also has more 3d depth. It is difficult to find commercial theaters with a bright 3d image. I am sure is High Power screen has a lot to do with his excellent 3d image.

IMAX 3D is in 4K using an 8K master. I have actually seen the conversion process. The new Hobbit movie will use 48 frames instead of 24. Those having seen the trailers say the 3D is the best ever. IMAX 3D destroys home theater 3D. All AMC and Regal cinemas use 4K for their digtial movies.
post #546 of 1802 Old 06-23-2012, 08:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Anyone knows how to skip movie chapters while playing in dlna mode?
I played MPG and VOB files but could not skip chapters. I can fast forward and rewind but not skip chapters.
Thanks.
post #547 of 1802 Old 06-24-2012, 07:42 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:

Joerod, the 790's enhancements were dialed in by my brother similar to your settings but he backed off on one of them...not sure which one. My guess is when you compared both players on your 1000, that projector is so good with 3d that both players produced a great 3d picture. The differences in the players may be a bit more apparent with the 95, which is very good with 3d, but is certainly not reference. Not sure for sure.

Very good point. The 1000 makes it tough to compare. smile.gif

For my latest Reviews and stuff Search -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com
Follow me: @joerodhometheat
Check out my Dolby Atmos/Surround first take:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #548 of 1802 Old 06-24-2012, 08:37 PM

Liked: 10
I'm posting this here in case someone else comes across this "bug" (in my opinion):

I went to play a BD disc tonight but the 500 would read it and then return to the home screen. Tried again with another disc, same result. Finally a little notice came up on the Home screen about a FW update and that I need to go into the settings to install. However, I couldn't go into the settings, the screen would just stay blank. I left it there for about 30 minutes b/c I was thinking maybe it's downloading the FW. Finally I went to the website, downloaded the FW, burned to disc and updated the player that way....not the easiest way to upgrade the FW, there's no way my parents (or most of the general public) would of figured that out.

Here's where you can download the new FW: http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/bd/download/bdt220/na/index.html. Be sure to pay attention to #2 in Step 4, I missed that one and made a coaster.
post #549 of 1802 Old 06-25-2012, 01:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opuntia View Post

I'm posting this here in case someone else comes across this "bug" (in my opinion):
I went to play a BD disc tonight but the 500 would read it and then return to the home screen. Tried again with another disc, same result. Finally a little notice came up on the Home screen about a FW update and that I need to go into the settings to install. However, I couldn't go into the settings, the screen would just stay blank. I left it there for about 30 minutes b/c I was thinking maybe it's downloading the FW. Finally I went to the website, downloaded the FW, burned to disc and updated the player that way....not the easiest way to upgrade the FW, there's no way my parents (or most of the general public) would of figured that out.
Here's where you can download the new FW: http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/bd/download/bdt220/na/index.html. Be sure to pay attention to #2 in Step 4, I missed that one and made a coaster.

Have you got a link to a list of just what this UPDATE_BDT220P_V139.exe firmware update actually does; namely in the way of fixes and improvements?

The best is the enemy of the good. Voltaire (1694-1778)

post #550 of 1802 Old 06-25-2012, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtherSongs View Post

Have you got a link to a list of just what this UPDATE_BDT220P_V139.exe firmware update actually does; namely in the way of fixes and improvements?

Here you go... http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/bd/download/bdt220/bdt220_na.html
post #551 of 1802 Old 06-25-2012, 05:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

Why not update wifi?
post #552 of 1802 Old 06-25-2012, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian-HD View Post

Why not update wifi?

I couldn't get into the settings in order to update using WiFi, that to me is the big "bug". Also, the message that I received telling me a FW update was available should have been a little more descriptive, letting the user know that DVD playback isn't possible until the FW has been updated.
post #553 of 1802 Old 06-25-2012, 05:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I couldn't get into the settings in order to update using WiFi, that to me is the big "bug". Also, the message that I received telling me a FW update was available should have been a little more descriptive, letting the user know that DVD playback isn't possible until the FW has been updated.

I did it via wifi a few mins ago without any issues. I am not aware of any Blu ray players that allow you to playback while updating. With all updates, I usually remove the disc before update.
post #554 of 1802 Old 06-25-2012, 06:40 AM

Quote:

I did it via wifi a few mins ago without any issues. I am not aware of any Blu ray players that allow you to playback while updating. With all updates, I usually remove the disc before update.

I wonder if there's an issue with mine since I couldn't get into the settings.

It's not that I wanted to watch a DVD while updating, I couldn't even watch a DVD until I updated the FW.
post #555 of 1802 Old 06-25-2012, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I wonder if there's an issue with mine since I couldn't get into the settings.
It's not that I wanted to watch a DVD while updating, I couldn't even watch a DVD until I updated the FW.

Not sure. Does your player has any issues after the update with disc?
post #556 of 1802 Old 06-25-2012, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatuglyguy View Post

Have any owners of the 500 come from/done a comparison with last year's BDT310? I really like the design of the 500 but I already got an open-box 310 last year for $90. I don't need the analog outs so I'm not sure if the 500 would be worth it.
Pro-calibrated Panasonic TC-P65GT30

Panasonic DMP-BDT310 on left and Panasonic DMP BDT500 on right. Using same setting on both.

IMG_3762.jpgIMG_3771.jpg

IMG_3763.jpgIMG_3772.jpg

IMG_3765.jpgIMG_3770.jpg
BufordTJustice likes this.
post #557 of 1802 Old 06-25-2012, 08:58 AM

Quote:

Not sure. Does your player has any issues after the update with disc?

Discs played fine once I updated, and I could finally get into my settings.
post #558 of 1802 Old 06-25-2012, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Followup:
I posted here very positively about my good experience with my new Panasonic BDT500 player, but still chose to return it today.

Problem is when playing .flac stereo music files via an external 2.5" USB HDD as input...

Good as the new Panasonic 500 player is, it makes some niggling electronic ticks and pops upon 1st being used for .flac playback from external USB HDD. It may be my specific unit has some minor fault, or maybe it's a 1st production run problem? I don't know how stuff like this plays out with a mass production unit from a big outfit like Panasonic. Just that my easiest fix is to return it now for a full refund, and not get into some drawn out nosebleed with Panasonic's repair unit.

Worth noting is that it does not happen when using the rear RCA analog outs, only when using S/PDIF as an output option via the digital coax out (and likely also the digital optical out) so think the 2.5" HDD is not causing it.

Question: Has anybody else come across this with these early Panasonic DMP BDT500 players?

If yes, please post about it. Thanks.

FWIW I did take a long look through the much longer 220/320/500 thread and did not find anything.

A side note: the "new" AVS does not have an advanced search. At least not yet. A serious problem IMO.

post #559 of 1802 Old 06-25-2012, 04:58 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post

Pro-calibrated Panasonic TC-P65GT30
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 on left and Panasonic DMP BDT500 on right. Using same setting on both.

Really dumb question....and this may just be Firefox....but which is right and which is left? The images I see are all aligned vertically.

Arcam AVR300, Panny BDT-500, Toshiba SD-9200 CD transport, Vizio XVT 55" LED/LCD (full direct-backlit w/ local dimming), Arx A5 & A3rx-c Mains, Arx A2rx-c center, HSU VTF-15h, BJC ten white w/ ultrasonically welded connectors.
post #560 of 1802 Old 06-25-2012, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BufordTJustice View Post

Really dumb question....and this may just be Firefox....but which is right and which is left? The images I see are all aligned vertically.
I'm on Firefox and they are horizontal. They are vertical when I'm offline. Vertically, the top in each will be the 310. smile.gif
post #561 of 1802 Old 06-25-2012, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post

I'm on Firefox and they are horizontal. They are vertical when I'm offline. Vertically, the top in each will be the 310. smile.gif

Thank you.

Arcam AVR300, Panny BDT-500, Toshiba SD-9200 CD transport, Vizio XVT 55" LED/LCD (full direct-backlit w/ local dimming), Arx A5 & A3rx-c Mains, Arx A2rx-c center, HSU VTF-15h, BJC ten white w/ ultrasonically welded connectors.
post #562 of 1802 Old 06-26-2012, 04:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
@ Aliens
Quote "Panasonic DMP-BDT310 on left and Panasonic DMP BDT500 on right. Using same setting on both."

When you say using the same settings in both players,
Were the settings in both players @ defult in the Disply Menu > Mode>(set to) "Normal", all other enhacements set to off ?

It's just that Im shocked to see such A large difference between the two players....
Thanks..
post #563 of 1802 Old 06-26-2012, 05:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema mad View Post

@ Aliens
Quote "Panasonic DMP-BDT310 on left and Panasonic DMP BDT500 on right. Using same setting on both."
When you say using the same settings in both players,
Were the settings in both players @ defult in the Disply Menu > Mode>(set to) "Normal", all other enhacements set to off ?
It's just that Im shocked to see such A large difference between the two players....
Thanks..

Picture mode – normal
Chroma process – normal
Detail clarity – 0
Super resolution – 1
HDMI color mode YCbCr (4:2:2)
Deep color – auto
Black level control – darker

I don’t know if you saw the below post in the larger DMP-BDT 220/320/500 Owners Thread, but you can really see the difference in those photos. Again, the 310 will be on top if viewing vertically. It’s too bad if they can only be seen vertically, because viewing horizontally gives an easier reference.

In analyzing those pictures, I noticed a darker spot on the hillside across the lake in the 500 that didn’t show up in the 310. I blew those up for a better look. The land to the top right of the house looks to be more barren in the left photo, whereas the 500 shows a lot more detail in that same area.

Left photo is the 310. The right is the 500.
CopyofIMG_3763.jpgIMG_3772-1.jpg
post #564 of 1802 Old 06-26-2012, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtherSongs View Post

Followup:
I posted here very positively about my good experience with my new Panasonic BDT500 player, but still chose to return it today.
Problem is when playing .flac stereo music files via an external 2.5" USB HDD as input...
Good as the new Panasonic 500 player is, it makes some niggling electronic ticks and pops upon 1st being used for .flac playback from external USB HDD. It may be my specific unit has some minor fault, or maybe it's a 1st production run problem? I don't know how stuff like this plays out with a mass production unit from a big outfit like Panasonic. Just that my easiest fix is to return it now for a full refund, and not get into some drawn out nosebleed with Panasonic's repair unit.
Worth noting is that it does not happen when using the rear RCA analog outs, only when using S/PDIF as an output option via the digital coax out (and likely also the digital optical out) so think the 2.5" HDD is not causing it.
Question: Has anybody else come across this with these early Panasonic DMP BDT500 players?
If yes, please post about it. Thanks.
FWIW I did take a long look through the much longer 220/320/500 thread and did not find anything.
A side note: the "new" AVS does not have an advanced search. At least not yet. A serious problem IMO.

Played flac files today without any issues today. I used to have an issue but was corrected with FW in the AVR. What AVR do you have?
post #565 of 1802 Old 06-26-2012, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Played flac files today without any issues today.

You used the player's S/PDIF connection for stereo sound?

That's the single orange colored RCA connector on the rear of the Panasonic 500 player.
Quote:

I used to have an issue but was corrected with FW in the AVR. What AVR do you have?

The problem happens with two different external DAC units, for playback of stereo S/PDIF signal, via a single coax interconnect from the Panasonic 500 player.

So it is my 500 player.

Might be it is just my unit and not more than that. Thanks for the response.

post #566 of 1802 Old 06-26-2012, 05:27 PM

I am the owner of a new Panasonic DMP-BDT500. I bought this primarily for the 7.1 analog outputs. I am using it with a Dennon AVR-4802 receiver (about 10 years old). The problem is I cannot detect any signal on the analog 7.1 LFE (subwoofer) output. I connect an oscilloscope to the LFE output to make certain. I know the on-screen test of speakers skips over the LFE, so I used movies with kaboom (Patriot for example) in trying to detect signal. All the other speakers work in 7.1 analog out. I started another thread on this but it did not get too far (just referenced this thread). Someone did mention low lfe signals so I set all the working speakers to their lowest setting (-6db and left the LFE max'd out 0 db). That was with the Panasonic on-screen menu. My Denon receiver does not have a separate boost for the LFE analog input. So I cannot do anything there.

Has any other owner been able to get the analog LFE signal???????????????????

If not, then I would like to return this unit as I am not a supporter of false advertisement. Any suggestions for an equivalent make that works as stated?

Note, I have had two conversations with Panasonic support. Basically a joke. Neither correspondent knew anything about the players, not even the basics of audio. One Panasonic rep did not know what analog outputs were. She kept reinstating my question as digital audio (which works fine because my Denon does the decoding).

I would really appreciate any help.
post #567 of 1802 Old 06-26-2012, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jah07mn View Post

I am the owner of a new Panasonic DMP-BDT500. I bought this primarily for the 7.1 analog outputs. I am using it with a Dennon AVR-4802 receiver (about 10 years old). The problem is I cannot detect any signal on the analog 7.1 LFE (subwoofer) output. I connect an oscilloscope to the LFE output to make certain. I know the on-screen test of speakers skips over the LFE, so I used movies with kaboom (Patriot for example) in trying to detect signal. All the other speakers work in 7.1 analog out. I started another thread on this but it did not get too far (just referenced this thread). Someone did mention low lfe signals so I set all the working speakers to their lowest setting (-6db and left the LFE max'd out 0 db). That was with the Panasonic on-screen menu. My Denon receiver does not have a separate boost for the LFE analog input. So I cannot do anything there.
If not, then I would like to return this unit as I am not a supporter of false advertisement. Any suggestions for an equivalent make that works as stated?
Note, I have had two conversations with Panasonic support. Basically a joke. Neither correspondent knew anything about the players, not even the basics of audio. One Panasonic rep did not know what analog outputs were. She kept reinstating my question as digital audio (which works fine because my Denon does the decoding).

This won't help you, but my analog ".1" works just fine going into my Arcam AVR300.

I'm sure you done extensive troubleshooting, but have you tried switching RCA cables? Also, if you have a cable long enough, you could try the following to ensure it's not the .1 circuit in your receiver:

Take a long RCA cable and run it directly from your BDP500 to your sub (always start with sub gain turned all the way down). That would be definitive whether the 500 was outputting signal.

Good luck and please keep us updated.

FWIW, I'm on the new FW but am still having the "Netflix bug". Gonna do a full factory reset later tonight. I'll advise.

Which is a shame, since Netflix looks better than ever through the '500.

post #568 of 1802 Old 06-26-2012, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am the owner of a new Panasonic DMP-BDT500. I bought this primarily for the 7.1 analog outputs. I am using it with a Dennon AVR-4802 receiver (about 10 years old).

The new 2012 Panasonic DMP-BDT500 is a very good player and IMO a very good value for high quality sound from it's 7.1 RCA analog outs.

FWIW I have a Denon AVR-3808CI (not being used at the moment); a step down but 6 years newer than your AVR-4802.
Quote:

The problem is I cannot detect any signal on the analog 7.1 LFE (subwoofer) output. I connect an oscilloscope to the LFE output to make certain.

That you know how to use an oscilloscope suggests that maybe you're only overlooking something so simple that it would bite you if it had teeth.

I liked the idea of switching in a different interconnect for the ".1" sub-woofer connector.
Quote:

I know the on-screen test of speakers skips over the LFE, so I used movies with kaboom (Patriot for example) in trying to detect signal. All the other speakers work in 7.1 analog out. I started another thread on this but it did not get too far (just referenced this thread). Someone did mention low lfe signals so I set all the working speakers to their lowest setting (-6db and left the LFE max'd out 0 db). That was with the Panasonic on-screen menu. My Denon receiver does not have a separate boost for the LFE analog input. So I cannot do anything there.

I got analog LFE out signal to work.

But then my main interest is to get the sound working 1st; I went into setup and turned everything off; especially stuff like BD-live and Quick-start.

Agreed that the setup screen that sends a signal to each speaker, so that I can easily check volume levels, does not send out a LFE signal. Which was annoying as I had to crawl over to one of my subs and put a finger on the woofer cone to verify that it wasn't moving. With a movie with a lot of bass the woofer cone moved.
Quote:

Not one. Maybe return this unit and then buy a 2nd from a 2nd vendor that also has a good return policy?

To repeat what I said near the start, the Panasonic DMP-BDT500 is a very good value for high quality sound from it's 7.1 RCA analog outs. It is also one of the fastest to play discs, and with very recent discs (like the recent blu-ray 25th anniversary release of Phantom of the Opera) it works like good DVD players in being able to turn the unit off in the middle and when turned back on it restarts from the middle, and being able to start the performance (chapter 1) and type in "22" and the unit jumps to chapter 22!

FWIW I just returned my own Panasonic DMP-BDT500 because it has an odd glitch and I was down to 2 days from my return limit. I plan to buy a 2nd Panasonic DMP-BDT500 in a few weeks or so when I have some confidence that the glitch was specific to my one unit and not a problem with the 1st production run.
Quote:

I've not dealt with Panasonic support, but wanted to avoid that above all else; so returned my unit while I could still get a full refund.

Another idea is that many powered subs come with a bunch of inputs, and different input settings, and usually have a volume control. It's easy to make a mistake or two there.

You do have the sub-woofer set up correctly?

post #569 of 1802 Old 06-26-2012, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes. No big deal. And others have also said this same thing.

Besides the player, the one other unit in your system with the most complexity is your AVR.

You do have your AVR set up properly?

post #570 of 1802 Old 06-27-2012, 05:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BufordTJustice View Post

FWIW, I'm on the new FW but am still having the "Netflix bug". Gonna do a full factory reset later tonight. I'll advise.
Which is a shame, since Netflix looks better than ever through the '500.

Can you please describe your bug?
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Panasonic , Panasonic Dmp Bdt500 Integrated Wi Fi 3d Blu Ray Dvd Player , Blu Ray Players , Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread - Bdt500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page