post #31 of 1800 Old 02-10-2012, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by BufordTJustice View Post

Agreed. I own (and am 100% happy with) an Arcam AVR300 and I have no intention of spending money on replacing it any time soon.

The BDT500 looks like the perfect solution for me. That + some 5.1 Blue Jeans RCA patch cables brings me right up to speed with the new hi-def audio formats.
This is on my must-buy list this year.

This will also allow me to retire my never-did-work-as-advertised LG BD590. But that's already been hashed-out here on the owner's thread.

You've always had the "perfect solution" available to you. It's called the Oppo BDP 93 or if you want an audiophile 7.1 analog universal player with dedicated stereo outs, the Oppo BDP95 is at you disposal.

He (or she) who dies with the most HT gear doesn't win anything. They're DEAD!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 1800 Old 02-10-2012, 07:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by bommai View Post

Has anyone heard what the MSRP for this player would be. I have a Sony S5000ES and love it. Not really looking to upgrade but still wondering. The build quality of my sony is phenomenal (weighs 23 lbs). The 310 is a feather weight by comparison.

According to the Panny rep at HDJ it will be released in April with an MSRP between $320-$375.

Precision Video Calibrations
THX Certified Video Calibrator
Calibrating Florida and Georgia
post #33 of 1800 Old 02-10-2012, 08:18 PM

Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqdog View Post

You've always had the "perfect solution" available to you. It's called the Oppo BDP 93 or if you want an audiophile 7.1 analog universal player with dedicated stereo outs, the Oppo BDP95 is at you disposal.

I'm a cop in Florida. I don't make much and the Oppo is: A) out of my price range and B) would land me on the couch for the foreseeable future.

If the Panasonic is much above $300, then the Oppo may be a save-up-for-it option, as the Panny's value will have been greatly diminished above that price point. Below $300, the Panny appears to be a solid value if it does, in fact, have 7.1 analog pre-outs that perform decently.

Arcam AVR300, Panny BDT-500, Toshiba SD-9200 CD transport, Vizio XVT 55" LED/LCD (full direct-backlit w/ local dimming), Arx A5 & A3rx-c Mains, Arx A2rx-c center, HSU VTF-15h, BJC ten white w/ ultrasonically welded connectors.
post #34 of 1800 Old 02-19-2012, 02:02 AM

This answers our questions:

http://www.bigpicturebigsound.com/Wh...0-BDT220.shtml

"On the audio front, Panasonic has made a few improvements as well. The DMP-BDT500, DMP-BDT320 and the DMP-BDT220 Blu-ray 3D players all use an upgraded 192kHz/32bit audio DAC (Digital Analog Converter) for on-board decoding of high quality digital sources (such as FLAC files), while the BDT500 improves things further using audiophile grade parts such as gold-plated terminals, high grade electric capacitors and insulators. This year, Panasonic has brought back the high quality analog 7.1 outputs in the DMP-BDT500 only. If you're planning to use the player as the centerpiece of a high-end analog audio system, the BDT500 is the player for you."

Arcam AVR300, Panny BDT-500, Toshiba SD-9200 CD transport, Vizio XVT 55" LED/LCD (full direct-backlit w/ local dimming), Arx A5 & A3rx-c Mains, Arx A2rx-c center, HSU VTF-15h, BJC ten white w/ ultrasonically welded connectors.
post #35 of 1800 Old 02-19-2012, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:

"On the audio front, Panasonic has made a few improvements as well. The DMP-BDT500, DMP-BDT320 and the DMP-BDT220 Blu-ray 3D players all use an upgraded 192kHz/32bit audio DAC (Digital Analog Converter) for on-board decoding of high quality digital sources (such as FLAC files), while the BDT500 improves things further using audiophile grade parts such as gold-plated terminals, high grade electric capacitors and insulators. This year, Panasonic has brought back the high quality analog 7.1 outputs in the DMP-BDT500 only. If you're planning to use the player as the centerpiece of a high-end analog audio system, the BDT500 is the player for you."

Just read the review....... sounds interesting. What will truly be of interest to many is the price point of the BDT500. If it comes in at 400.00 or more, I would think an Oppo BDP93 would then be on the table for comparison shopping. We already know that their customer service is 2nd to none.

It's kinda funny that you posted this review this morning. I was headed out today or tomorrow to purchase a 2nd blu-ray for the bedroom and was eyeing the panny 210. Now, with these new players set to hit the market any day, I think I'll wait a bit and get the 220 as this player will see allot of sd DVD and that improved UniPhier chipset sounds good. Thanks BufordTJustice for the heads up!

He (or she) who dies with the most HT gear doesn't win anything. They're DEAD!
post #36 of 1800 Old 02-19-2012, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

"This year, Panasonic has brought back the high quality analog 7.1 outputs in the DMP-BDT500 only. If you're planning to use the player as the centerpiece of a high-end analog audio system, the BDT500 is the player for you."

It partially answers the question. Also, this quote "If you're planning to use the player as the centerpiece of a high-end analog audio system, the BDT500 is the player for you." is quite a leap since no one has heard the analog section of this unit that I am aware of. I hope there is no placebo affect for owners after reading this unsubstantiated endorsement. While I am not in the market for a transport presently; comments like that make me want to take this unit out for a ride in my setup. 32 bit DACs don't guarantee excellence in audio if not implemented correctly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqdog View Post

Just read the review....... sounds interesting. What will truly be of interest to many is the price point of the BDT500. If it comes in at 400.00 or more, I would think an Oppo BDP93 would then be on the table for comparison shopping. We already know that their customer service is 2nd to none.

If this unit lives up to its billing, then pricing is going to be very important. The $250 - $400 price range seems to be a hard sell. Most consumers seem to be willing to spend less than $250 or more than $400, but not between $250 - $400. As you stated if the pricing crosses $400 or more then in my opinion the Oppo is a better value for all that it offers at its price point.

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

Oppo BDP-105, Denon DVD-5910CI, Cambridge 752BD, Cambridge 640C V2

Paradigm Signature S8, Paradigm Signature ADP1

Paradigm Signature ADP3, Paradigm Signature C5

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Oppo BDP-93, BDP-103D, Pioneer BDP-320

Sony BDP-S790

post #37 of 1800 Old 02-19-2012, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I have heard from several people that their BDT-310 offers better video quality through HDMI than the Oppo-93. I also have heard from many people that the Sony S5000ES (which I have) offer better audio quality than the Oppo-93 through 7.1 analog. I am thoroughly impressed with my Sony. Sure, it cannot do 3D (I don't have a 3D projector yet) and it cannot do streaming and stuff. I don't care for that. Just for BD playback my sony kicks ass. I also have a Panny BD-85 for my small system (energy take classic, NAD T744, Panny 54" plasma). Works great!

Build quality is what attracted me to the Sony S5000ES last year and the very desirable price of $350 from AVS store.
post #38 of 1800 Old 02-19-2012, 07:28 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

I have heard from several people that their BDT-310 offers better video quality through HDMI than the Oppo-93. I also have heard from many people that the Sony S5000ES (which I have) offer better audio quality than the Oppo-93 through 7.1 analog. I am thoroughly impressed with my Sony. Sure, it cannot do 3D (I don't have a 3D projector yet) and it cannot do streaming and stuff. I don't care for that. Just for BD playback my sony kicks ass. I also have a Panny BD-85 for my small system (energy take classic, NAD T744, Panny 54" plasma). Works great!

Build quality is what attracted me to the Sony S5000ES last year and the very desirable price of $350 from AVS store.

I have had my Oppo 93 for 3 weeks. And I badly wanted to love it. And I can't. My LG 590 has a better picture and streams Netflix and Vudo cleaner and with less little jaggies. Maybe I just got a bad 93. But, it is going back first thing in the morning. I love the physical look and feel of the Oppo. Also, my old LG 590 responds quicker to with the remote. I hope the new BDT500 will be as good as it appears to be. This is my 2nd Oppo ( 83 and 93) that I had high hopes for and was really disappointed.
post #39 of 1800 Old 02-20-2012, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerwi View Post

It partially answers the question. Also, this quote "If you're planning to use the player as the centerpiece of a high-end analog audio system, the BDT500 is the player for you." is quite a leap since no one has heard the analog section of this unit that I am aware of. I hope there is no placebo affect for owners after reading this unsubstantiated endorsement. While I am not in the market for a transport presently; comments like that make me want to take this unit out for a ride in my setup. 32 bit DACs don't guarantee excellence in audio if not implemented correctly.

If this unit lives up to its billing, then pricing is going to be very important. The $250 - $400 price range seems to be a hard sell. Most consumers seem to be willing to spend less than $250 or more than $400, but not between $250 - $400. As you stated if the pricing crosses $400 or more then in my opinion the Oppo is a better value for all that it offers at its price point.

I think I need to qualify my expectations a little bit.

Before I became a cop, I spent a decade in the professional live and studio audio industry in the Orlando, Florida area. I've used $400,000 Midas sound consoles with hand-built British pre-amps (and the rest of the circuitry as well) on 2 million dollar PA line array systems in front of many thousands of people for national acts.

I am not expecting world-changing sound from a sub $300 consumer media player. I am not even expecting 'reference' playback. I just want decent analog performance. I don't even have analog outputs beyond L+R right now (LG BD590).

I'm not 'excited' about the performance...I am simply excited about the potential value. The inherent bitrate of ANY DAC tells little about the quality of its design and implementation. There are still some reference CD players with 16 bit DACs that sound better than any current blu ray player on the market, despite the reference BD players having 24bit DACs (by necessity, obviously). Please don't mistake me for some neophyte who thinks he's about to discover the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

post #40 of 1800 Old 02-20-2012, 04:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

We are all entitled to our SUBJECTIVE opinion to our video preferences and SOME Panasonic owners MAY be trying to justify their purchase of the Panasonic versus the extra coin for the Oppo BDP-93. Preferences aside it has been validated that the picture from the Oppo BDP-93/95 is accurate. If I just wanted a basic blu-ray player, then one of the lower priced Panasonic would be up for consideration, but the Oppo is more than just a blu-ray player.

I too own a Sony BDP-S5000ES in addition to an Oppo BDP-95, a Pioneer BDP-05FD and a Pioneer BDP-320 and they are all excellent for what they do. I use the Oppo for all things musical and I alternate between the BDP-95, S5000ES and the BDP-05FD for video. I don't know which unit is better, but I have my preference and they all have a place in my setup. In addition, I would have never compared the analog of the BDP-93 to that of the Sony due to the price differential (MSRP).

I also purchased my BDP-S5000ES from the AVS store for the same $350. However, I could not justify the price difference between the other offerings at the time, which is why I returned a Denon DVD-3800BDCI.

One of the things I have learned about the various owner threads on the AVS Forum is that some of us take solace when someone else validates our purchase decision or preference for product A over product B.

I am still intrigued by this new Panasonic.

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Sony BDP-S790

post #41 of 1800 Old 02-20-2012, 05:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I am not expecting world-changing sound from a sub $300 consumer media player. I am not even expecting 'reference' playback. I just want decent analog performance. I don't even have analog outputs beyond L+R right now (LG BD590).

Curious if you compared your LG590 to an Oppo 93/95 like I did fo PQ. I only use my BDP as a transport because I have a heavily modded Wadia CDP/DAC.
post #42 of 1800 Old 02-20-2012, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think I need to qualify my expectations a little bit.

I'm not 'excited' about the performance...I am simply excited about the potential value. The inherent bitrate of ANY DAC tells little about the quality of its design and implementation. There are still some reference CD players with 16 bit DACs that sound better than any current blu ray player on the market, despite the reference BD players having 24bit DACs (by necessity, obviously). Please don't mistake me for some neophyte who thinks he's about to discover the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

BufordT,
Your comments are a breath of fresh air. Sometimes the mind can be influenced by comments like the centerpiece of a high-end analog audio system. Too many believe their preferences whether on video or audio are the gospel when it only speaks to the equipment in their specific setups. Some go on to mention that others agree as though this somehow validates their preference. I try to find objective testing on the equipment that I may be considering, because I would like to know if my equipment is capable of doing what it was designed to do per the specs. Unfortunately, my preference may over rule the objective testing since my eyes and ears know what they like or what they have become accustom to seeing and hearing in my setup. I have a modest setup (currently evolving), but I trust it can lead me to the right conclusion.

Too often some mistake preference for reference. I look forward to your thoughts once you have acquired this unit. As I stated previously I may take one out for a test drive since I am always looking for a reason to buy something according to my wife.

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Sony BDP-S790

post #43 of 1800 Old 02-20-2012, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 114
...while the BDT500 improves things further using audiophile grade parts such as gold-plated terminals, high grade electric capacitors and insulators.

Any guesses as to whether this is marketing fluff, or a substantial real world difference in audio quality [over the DMP-BDT320/220]?

post #44 of 1800 Old 02-20-2012, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerwi View Post

BufordT,
Your comments are a breath of fresh air. Sometimes the mind can be influenced by comments like the centerpiece of a high-end analog audio system. Too many believe their preferences whether on video or audio are the gospel when it only speaks to the equipment in their specific setups. Some go on to mention that others agree as though this somehow validates their preference. I try to find objective testing on the equipment that I may be considering, because I would like to know if my equipment is capable of doing what it was designed to do per the specs. Unfortunately, my preference may over rule the objective testing since my eyes and ears know what they like or what they have become accustom to seeing and hearing in my setup. I have a modest setup (currently evolving), but I trust it can lead me to the right conclusion.

Too often some mistake preference for reference. I look forward to your thoughts once you have acquired this unit. As I stated previously I may take one out for a test drive since I am always looking for a reason to buy something according to my wife.

Agreed sir.

I'll make sure and keep this thread updated once I grab one.

post #45 of 1800 Old 02-20-2012, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk2Me View Post

Curious if you compared your LG590 to an Oppo 93/95 like I did fo PQ. I only use my BDP as a transport because I have a heavily modded Wadia CDP/DAC.

I have not had an opportunity to do so on the same display. I have always been impressed by Oppo's offerings and I'm pretty sure the '93 would perform better (and more to my preference/liking) on my Vizio LED back-lit 55" 3Dtv (3D functionality is ignored).

I personally think my BD590 is acceptable in SD DVD quality, but for me it had depended on the disc and the codec. Some DVD's are so clean, parts of them look damn close to blu ray. While others look like SD coming over RF-modulated coaxial cable. Same settings. I'm looking for more consistency so I don't have to ditch my DVD collection....especially the action movies with DTS soundtracks (and no 25hz cutoff). Hopefully the Panny will offer improvement in that area. As I have said before, if the price is at or above $300, I'd rather save for the Oppo. If it's under three bills, I'll give the Panny a try.

post #46 of 1800 Old 02-20-2012, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have not had an opportunity to do so on the same display. I have always been impressed by Oppo's offerings and I'm pretty sure the '93 would perform better (and more to my preference/liking) on my Vizio LED back-lit 55" 3Dtv (3D functionality is ignored).

I personally think my BD590 is acceptable in SD DVD quality, but for me it had depended on the disc and the codec. Some DVD's are so clean, parts of them look damn close to blu ray. While others look like SD coming over RF-modulated coaxial cable. Same settings. I'm looking for more consistency so I don't have to ditch my DVD collection....especially the action movies with DTS soundtracks (and no 25hz cutoff). Hopefully the Panny will offer improvement in that area. As I have said before, if the price is at or above $300, I'd rather save for the Oppo. If it's under three bills, I'll give the Panny a try.

BufordT,

I would expect the Panasonic to perform well on both blu-ray and DVD. When I owned the Panny 55 I really thought it did an admirable job and I believe the 500 is at least 2 maybe 3 generation better than the 55. As far as the Oppo; owning a universal player was a must for me since I own between 200 - 300 DVD-As and SACDs.

Hopefully, it comes in at the right price point for you.

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Sony BDP-S790

post #47 of 1800 Old 02-22-2012, 09:39 AM

Liked: 10
A German review is online for the Panasonic BDT-220 model. Search areadvd.de
post #48 of 1800 Old 02-27-2012, 07:53 AM
Advanced Member

Does anyone know the release date?
post #49 of 1800 Old 02-27-2012, 07:56 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 125
I've hear April for the 500. Hope I'm wrong.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #50 of 1800 Old 02-29-2012, 06:16 AM

http://www.frys.com/product/6994237?source=googleps

Pre order for $349.

If they don't knock it down to $290 or less, I'm out. I'll just save for an Oppo at the Fry's price.

post #51 of 1800 Old 03-01-2012, 05:34 AM
Advanced Member

I love MOG and found the new Samsung BD-ES6000 has it, along with web browsing and a new cloud based disc copying format called UltraViolet. I will compare this to the 500 hen it comes out, hopefully soon, as it looks to be a stellar performer.
post #52 of 1800 Old 03-01-2012, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

I have had some of the Panasonic players in my setup and my favorites were the bigger 50 and 350 models. The transports were just better, smoother. The Oppo to me is over hyped and I have never been all that keen on the plastic cheap tray that comes out like a desktop computer albeit my new HP is smoother than the Oppo. I know I will piss off a lot of people as the Oppo has almost a cult following. Fact is its a noisy transport. I was hoping the Oppo 95 would be an improvement for the mechanical transport section but I find reading some of the threads that it suffers from noise pollution. I have an old Denon CD player from the 80s and it is so smooth and silent.. What happened.?? I do not have SACD's and truly understand that if this is a motivation you have to make some choices. In the interest of context I just use Bluray for movies, to show some eye candy to customers, and for convenience sometimes for two channel listening. I don't want the processing, If that is needed I just use the DVDO Duo.. or will also be using a Lumagen.. and I don't need the audio as I do not want the audio processed in the bluray player. Some customers have great gear that cannot process the hd codecs and thankfully we do have options for them to keep using their gear and not have to downgrade their equipment to a receiver level.

I saw this unit at CES and did think it looked "good" . Centerpiece for what?? No one is going to use this as the centerpiece for a high end audio system. It is going to be a convenience at best. I didnt go through the trouble of seeing how quiet or how good the transport is but generally I find that companies like Pioneer, Denon, Marantz have a track record on their flagship players to have good transports in them. Oppo seems to ignore this part of the chain in my view and I just can't swallow the oppo price tag with a plastic computer tray with the finesse of an old desktop and the audible noise of a fan. I am just hoping that this Panny 500 has a good transport. It is now an ignored part of the high end equation too often. I want the player that is capable of sending the information on the bluray disk UNALTERED. My other components know what to do with it. I do not see reviews comment on the transport any more. Its a mechanical component in the player that has to do a an incredible job over the life of the product. Face it the players now are built for a shelf life of two to three years. Once we get the bandwidth from the internet we need to replicate or even improve on the bluray technology will we even use a bluray player? Not too likely. I figure the life cycle of the bluray will die. There is better solutions for high end audio than a bluray player. CDs end of life will come shortly. Followed by the Bluray. Hopefully whatever the next replacement will be for the masses won't be attached to a bluray vs hddvd like war where we waste 5 or so years with a technology we can't use. lol .. ok thats the end of my rant.
post #53 of 1800 Old 03-02-2012, 04:13 PM

The new format '320 is on amazon now.

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMP-...0720748&sr=1-2

Hopefully the 500 isn't far behind.

post #54 of 1800 Old 03-03-2012, 02:16 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 91
So far the only blu ray players I plan to look at this year are this panny and the sony 4K model.

Search or copy and paste-> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com <-to check out my latest Reviews.

Check out these new Lighted Cup Holders:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1402680301175
post #55 of 1800 Old 03-03-2012, 05:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

So far the only blu ray players I plan to look at this year are this panny and the sony 4K model.

Same here, I may give the 320 a small peak as well.

I don't even like panasonic... In Canada they are privately held company. Pricing is sometimes an issue and they are slow at getting new releases.
post #56 of 1800 Old 03-03-2012, 01:31 PM

is there any difference in the video processing capabilities between the 320 and 500. I already have a good receiver/speakers and not necessarily interested in the audio processing capabilities of the 500.
post #57 of 1800 Old 03-03-2012, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkirangi View Post

is there any difference in the video processing capabilities between the 320 and 500. I already have a good receiver/speakers and not necessarily interested in the audio processing capabilities of the 500.

I believe - SINCE IT IS NOT RELEASED YET - the Differences are
7.1 Analog Audio and Dual HDMI. Video Processing should be the same.
post #58 of 1800 Old 03-03-2012, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post

I believe - SINCE IT IS NOT RELEASED YET - the Differences are
7.1 Analog Audio and Dual HDMI. Video Processing should be the same.

Okay. Thanks.
post #59 of 1800 Old 03-03-2012, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

My hope is that the transport is also better. It should be if the audio is part of their goal to achieve the best player. My 50 and 350 had better transports than the models in between. Panasonic will have a 8 billion loss this year. I gotta buy one just to support what they are doing.
post #60 of 1800 Old 03-04-2012, 07:41 AM
Advanced Member

Mandarax-

"Some customers have great gear that cannot process the hd codecs and thankfully we do have options for them to keep using their gear and not have to downgrade their equipment to a receiver level"

I belong to this group with my Burmester 911 MK3 and Concert Fidelity CF-080 tube preamp. I am not interested in cheap gimmicks, but with video technology moving so fast, it is hard to spend $4k on a blu-ray player. I like what I have read about the BDT500, but what about the Samsung BD-ES6000? Also what options are you referring too? Thnks.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Panasonic , Panasonic Dmp Bdt500 Integrated Wi Fi 3d Blu Ray Dvd Player , Blu Ray Players , Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page