Panasonic DMP BDT500 - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 1802 Old 07-09-2012, 05:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm hoping someone can help me set up my new BDT500, but I must confess at the outset I have little understanding of many of the terms I read in these messages so I'm also hoping for a kind of step-by-step guide.

About a decade ago, my then-neighbor hooked up my Panasonic DVD-A300 to a Marantz SR480 using analog 5.1. I don't believe the Marantz did any decoding; the A300 handled it and the sound was fantastic. When my old Sony XBR tube TV died last week, I replaced it with a Samsung 40ES6500 LCD. I decided on the BDT500 thinking I could just unplug the 5.1 cables from the A300 and plug them into the BDT500. I've learned a little on this board (i.e. setting speakers to small), but can't get my subwoofer to work, even when I crank up the volume on the sw.. I've played around with settings, not really knowing what I'm doing, and don't notice much difference when I set to either 7.1 or 2ch+5.1, but no subwoofer sound either way. Not sure what settings I'm supposed to be using with a 5.1 (not 7.1) set-up like mine, where I want the BDT500 to do all the decoding. Video is direct to the TV via HDMI.

Thanks in advance for settings that may solve this problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 1802 Old 07-09-2012, 06:27 PM

Hi there,
Just got this player and I am not sure why it will not recognize my external HD when I connect via the rear USB input. The player does recognize it if I hook it up via the front USB. Is there a setting that I am missing?

Thanks in advance,
Eric
post #633 of 1802 Old 07-09-2012, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfrank1 View Post

I've played around with settings, not really knowing what I'm doing, and don't notice much difference when I set to either 7.1 or 2ch+5.1, but no subwoofer sound either way.

Pretty unlikely, but OK I'll go with that.

FWIW AVRs have -10 db subwoofer setting and you might want to check on that setting (in your AVR) and turn it off. And also turn up the volume knob on your powered sub(s).
Quote:

Not sure what settings I'm supposed to be using with a 5.1 (not 7.1) set-up like mine, where I want the BDT500 to do all the decoding. Video is direct to the TV via HDMI.
Thanks in advance for settings that may solve this problem.

In setup turn everything off, especially including Quick start and BD Live.

Probably better to choose 7.1 out (in setup) as opposed to 2ch+5.1, but I'm still getting my head wrapped around that.

The best is the enemy of the good. Voltaire (1694-1778)

post #634 of 1802 Old 07-09-2012, 07:30 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by emont View Post

Hi there,
Just got this player and I am not sure why it will not recognize my external HD when I connect via the rear USB input. The player does recognize it if I hook it up via the front USB. Is there a setting that I am missing?
Thanks in advance,
Eric

That USB port is for a skype camera only, as per the manual.

Arcam AVR300, Panny BDT-500, Toshiba SD-9200 CD transport, Vizio XVT 55" LED/LCD (full direct-backlit w/ local dimming), Arx A5 & A3rx-c Mains, Arx A2rx-c center, HSU VTF-15h, BJC ten white w/ ultrasonically welded connectors.
post #635 of 1802 Old 07-09-2012, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckg1 View Post

Did anyone notice an improvement in analog sound with the latest firmware update ?

Not in MC mode using either DTS or DTS HD MA....but yes in stereo using FLAC, CD, and Pandora. It seems there is some finer resolution being presented in the midrange than before. It's closer to my Arcam AVR300 than it was before (you used to be able to tell instantly when switching between the coax SPDI/F and analog stereo). A small but noticeable improvement....may not be noticeable on cheaper speakers or AVRs, but yes I can tell.

I've done several days worth of A-Bing on familiar material and they did something with the latest FW update.

Arcam AVR300, Panny BDT-500, Toshiba SD-9200 CD transport, Vizio XVT 55" LED/LCD (full direct-backlit w/ local dimming), Arx A5 & A3rx-c Mains, Arx A2rx-c center, HSU VTF-15h, BJC ten white w/ ultrasonically welded connectors.
post #636 of 1802 Old 07-09-2012, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BufordTJustice View Post

Not in MC mode using either DTS or DTS HD MA....but yes in stereo using FLAC, CD, and Pandora.

A small but noticeable improvement....may not be noticeable on cheaper speakers or AVRs, but yes I can tell.
I've done several days worth of A-Bing on familiar material and they did something with the latest FW update.

That you mention "AVRs" (above) makes me wonder if you're using the Panasonic 500's rear RCA outs?

For others, the sound quality is likely the same with FW 1.39

That's MO and recent one shot experience with changing from FW 1.22 to FW 1.39

I mean, other than owning 2 separate 500 players, I don't know of any way to A/B a FW change. smile.gif

post #637 of 1802 Old 07-09-2012, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtherSongs View Post

That you mention "AVRs" (above) makes me wonder if you're using the Panasonic 500's rear RCA outs?
For others, the sound quality is likely the same with FW 1.39
That's MO and recent one shot experience with changing from FW 1.22 to FW 1.39
I mean, other than owning 2 separate 500 players, I don't know of any way to A/B a FW change. smile.gif

I am comparing both the rear analog RCA outs and the digital SPDI/F coax output. Both are routed to my Arcam.

I am quite confident that a small improvement has been realized; I had about 80 hours if listening time on the '500 prior to the FW update.

I was comparing the analog outs to the digital out. So it's really first an A-B and now an A-C. I spent a decade mixing live pro-audio shows for a paycheck. That doesn't make me better or worse than anybody else, but I've mixed enough vocal quartets in harmony to have my ears be pretty well calibrated by now.

Again, I'm speaking of a very subtle difference of additional detail in the midrange and a slightly wider soundstage as compared to the previous FW. If somebody has a pair of Polk TSi-XXX's or other lower-mid FI speakers, they probably wouldn't notice at all.

post #638 of 1802 Old 07-09-2012, 09:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am comparing both the rear analog RCA outs and the digital SPDI/F coax output. Both are routed to my Arcam.
I am quite confident that a small improvement has been realized; I had about 80 hours if listening time on the '500 prior to the FW update.
I was comparing the analog outs to the digital out. So it's really first an A-B and now an A-C. I spent a decade mixing live pro-audio shows for a paycheck. That doesn't make me better or worse than anybody else, but I've mixed enough vocal quartets in harmony to have my ears be pretty well calibrated by now.
Again, I'm speaking of a very subtle difference of additional detail in the midrange and a slightly wider soundstage as compared to the previous FW. If somebody has a pair of Polk TSi-XXX's or other lower-mid FI speakers, they probably wouldn't notice at all.

IMO it's a tough judgement call to make a one shot assessment of a FW's possible change to sound quality!

There's no way to A/B it!

Same goes for any possible sound change(s) of rear HDMI cable vs rear RCA cable outs.

My own take of FW 1.39 (vs 1.22) is that maybe (note MAYBE) the center channel might (note MIGHT) be ever so slightly louder. It's a tough judgement call to make given the one shot nature of doing a FW update!

IMO the sound quality did not get any worse.

post #639 of 1802 Old 07-09-2012, 09:48 PM

Quote:

IMO it's a tough judgement call to make a one shot assessment of a FW's possible change to sound quality!
There's no way to A/B it!
Same goes for any possible sound change(s) of rear HDMI cable vs rear RCA cable outs.
My own take of FW 1.39 (vs 1.22) is that maybe (note MAYBE) the center channel might (note MIGHT) be ever so slightly louder. It's a tough judgement call to make given the one shot nature of doing a FW update!
IMO the sound quality did not get any worse.

Okay, you're right. I don't hear anything different. rolleyes.gif

post #640 of 1802 Old 07-10-2012, 03:23 AM

OtherSongs: Thanks for your reply. I don't see any way to change the SW setting in the Marantz and turning up the volume on the powered SW doesn't help. Doesn't seem to be getting any signal. Also--if it was working great with the prior DVD Player (the A300), wouldn't that suggest it's a setting on the BDT500 that needs adjusting if nothing is outputting now?

Not every setting in the Audio menu is "On" or "Off" (i.e. "Downmix" can be "Stereo" or "Surround Encoded"). Not sure which to choose.
post #641 of 1802 Old 07-10-2012, 05:24 AM

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Gene View Post

I need to get another player and am on the fence about getting a 220/320 instead of the 500. I currently have the 310 and love it, is the 500's picture quality really a huge jump over the 310? If so, I don't mind paying extra for the 500 and making it my primary player.

The price dropped again, anybody have both the 310 and 500? Is there a huge difference in the picture quality of the 500? Thanks!
post #642 of 1802 Old 07-10-2012, 05:29 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

OtherSongs: Thanks for your reply. I don't see any way to change the SW setting in the Marantz and turning up the volume on the powered SW doesn't help. Doesn't seem to be getting any signal. Also--if it was working great with the prior DVD Player (the A300), wouldn't that suggest it's a setting on the BDT500 that needs adjusting if nothing is outputting now?
Not every setting in the Audio menu is "On" or "Off" (i.e. "Downmix" can be "Stereo" or "Surround Encoded"). Not sure which to choose.

Are you using a test disc or the internal test signal to check your sub output ?
post #643 of 1802 Old 07-10-2012, 05:46 AM

Chuckg1: I've learned here that the internal test doesn't send a signal to the sw. I'm just playing discs that previously had strong sw response and getting nothing at all from the sw now.
post #644 of 1802 Old 07-10-2012, 06:03 AM

Quote:

Chuckg1: I've learned here that the internal test doesn't send a signal to the sw. I'm just playing discs that previously had strong sw response and getting nothing at all from the sw now.

Did you disable the secondary hdmi output ?
post #645 of 1802 Old 07-10-2012, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

We went through this sub-woofer thing 2 weeks ago with jah07mn

See posts 567 568 569 571 578 579 580 581 582 583 586 591 for ideas.

post #646 of 1802 Old 07-10-2012, 09:06 AM

Chuchg1: disabling the secondary HDMI didn't help. Can you advise on the best setting for the "Downmix" on the audio menu given the setup I described? Thanks for your help.
post #647 of 1802 Old 07-10-2012, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Okay, you're right. I don't hear anything different. rolleyes.gif

I laughed when I saw this.

I can believe that there are *subtle* improvements to the stereo sound with the new FW ver. 1.39

Only that I didn't notice it.

You're a trained listener and more likely to notice it with a one-shot FW update.

Anyway I'm thrilled with this player's sound. Both for stereo playback and MC movie playback.

The one unexpected surprise of a feature that I really like and will start using, is how good stereo is from .flac music files (hi quality 16/44.1 rips) on an external 2.5" USB HDD. Big wow on that!

post #648 of 1802 Old 07-10-2012, 10:13 AM

Quote:

Chuchg1: disabling the secondary HDMI didn't help. Can you advise on the best setting for the "Downmix" on the audio menu given the setup I described? Thanks for your help.

I will check my settings tonight and post them.I would double check the connections,although you probably did that.
post #649 of 1802 Old 07-10-2012, 10:21 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Gene View Post

The price dropped again, anybody have both the 310 and 500? Is there a huge difference in the picture quality of the 500? Thanks!

I can't speak for the 310 but I upgraded from a 210 to the 500 and I believe there is a noticeable increase in PQ though I certainly would not characterize it as "huge". I am using HDMI exclusively and mostly for HT so I can't comment on any sound improvements though having paid $259 I will certainly try to convince myself this is the case. I suspect audiophiles using the analog outs are definitely hearing a better SQ.

The main reason for my upgrade is for the dual HDMI outputs so that I can keep my Integra DTC-9.8 processor and enjoy 3D BluRay on my new 65GT50.

Panasonic 65GT50 1080p 3D Plasma TV

Integra DTC-9.8 prepro - Panasonic BDT500 BD Player

Velodyne HGS-15X Subwoofer

Cinenova Grande 3 ( 600W x 3 )
Polk LSi15 x 2, LSIC

Polk LC265i x 3

post #650 of 1802 Old 07-10-2012, 01:10 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Just hooked up my 500 and upgraded firmware, is there any settings I should turn on or off to maximize my enjoyment of the player?

post #651 of 1802 Old 07-10-2012, 01:13 PM

Chuckg1: Many thanks for taking the time to check your settings tonight. Yes, my connections seem correct and tight. Can't understand why my old A300 produced rich subwoofer sound and the BDT500 with the same connections (no changes on the receiver) seems to send nothing to the SW. Do you agree with OtherSongs that for my 5.1 receiver, I should set for 7.1 rather that 2ch+5.1 on the BDT500?
post #652 of 1802 Old 07-10-2012, 02:42 PM

OtherSongs: Thanks for your suggestion that I review prior posts pertaining to jah07mm's subwoofer issues. I couldn't understand a lot of it (as I said, I'm a complete novice with this stuff), but it appeared he found different source material that produced an sw effect. He also set his speaker settings to small, which I have done. I've tried multiple discs and the sw just doesn't seem to be getting any juice. I will have to try to get a hold of a very long cable to connect the BDT500 directly to the subwoofer. I also wasn't clear from his posts whether jah07mm had 7.1 inputs on his received or, like my own, only 5.1. I apologize for being so dense with this stuff and appreciate any hand-holding you'd care to give.
post #653 of 1802 Old 07-10-2012, 04:25 PM

Quote:

I laughed when I saw this.
I can believe that there are *subtle* improvements to the stereo sound with the new FW ver. 1.39
Only that I didn't notice it.
You're a trained listener and more likely to notice it with a one-shot FW update.
Anyway I'm thrilled with this player's sound. Both for stereo playback and MC movie playback.
The one unexpected surprise of a feature that I really like and will start using, is how good stereo is from .flac music files (hi quality 16/44.1 rips) on an external 2.5" USB HDD. Big wow on that!

There was a bit of sarcasm in that post. wink.gif

I'm definitely not trying to say that I'm right and you're wrong. If you say you didn't notice a difference, I truly do believe you.

And, yes, FLAC sounds excellent from my USB thumb drive. I've been using Media Monkey for my FLAC rips from CD and have been very pleased so far. I have forsaken MP3 entirely for FLAC.

post #654 of 1802 Old 07-10-2012, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

OtherSongs: Thanks for your suggestion that I review prior posts pertaining to jah07mm's subwoofer issues. I couldn't understand a lot of it (as I said, I'm a complete novice with this stuff), but it appeared he found different source material that produced an sw effect. He also set his speaker settings to small, which I have done. I've tried multiple discs and the sw just doesn't seem to be getting any juice. I will have to try to get a hold of a very long cable to connect the BDT500 directly to the subwoofer. I also wasn't clear from his posts whether jah07mm had 7.1 inputs on his received or, like my own, only 5.1. I apologize for being so dense with this stuff and appreciate any hand-holding you'd care to give.

Odds are high that it's some setting in one piece in your equipment chain; and if it had teeth it would bite you.

Since you had it working with the old player, I'd 1st tend to suspect your new player settings.

In fact, put the old player back and make sure that the sub still works OK with that.

Of the 2 choices the 500 player offers, i.e. 2+5.1 or 7.1, I use the 7.1 choice; but I have no clue if that will make any difference in getting your sub to work.

BTW, I only have 5 speakers and a sub.

If you can't get it sorted by yourself, get a nearby friend that is handy with hi-fi equipment setup to come to your place and find the problem.

post #655 of 1802 Old 07-10-2012, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:

There was a bit of sarcasm in that post. wink.gif
I'm definitely not trying to say that I'm right and you're wrong. If you say you didn't notice a difference, I truly do believe you.
And, yes, FLAC sounds excellent from my USB thumb drive. I've been using Media Monkey for my FLAC rips from CD and have been very pleased so far. I have forsaken MP3 entirely for FLAC.

I was ready to post the results of my listening tests of the 500 in stereo analog using the last FW -until I read your posts. Now I have tot test it all over again. rolleyes.gif I see you burned the unit in for about 80 hours which may account for some of the things you heard. My 500 was extremely compressed out of the box and actually didn't start to open up till about 75 hours or so, using my Primaluna tube amp. In fact, I've put about 200 hours on the unit and it's only really opening up now in resolution. Soundstaging was horrible until about 100 hours and had improved steadily since then. These units really need a lot of burning in to sound good IMO.
post #656 of 1802 Old 07-10-2012, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-triodes View Post

I was ready to post the results of my listening tests of the 500 in stereo analog using the last FW -until I read your posts. Now I have tot test it all over again. rolleyes.gif I see you burned the unit in for about 80 hours which may account for some of the things you heard. My 500 was extremely compressed out of the box and actually didn't start to open up till about 75 hours or so, using my Primaluna tube amp. In fact, I've put about 200 hours on the unit and it's only really opening up now in resolution. Soundstaging was horrible until about 100 hours and had improved steadily since then. These units really need a lot of burning in to sound good IMO.

I have found that most analog circuits need "on-time". Tube circuits need even more before they settle into their final sound. I have buddies that won't play shows with their Marshall tube amps until they have several hundred hours of practice on them ("just screwing around" as they put it).

I have found that even fine audio consoles, like Midas, require time with their circuits being energized before they sound their smoothest. For a front-of-house console, that is an easy task since it is on for every rehearsal, every soundcheck, and every show. It's more difficult on home electronics with kids and families and such.

The burn-in had a small effect, but it related more to the smoothness of the sound, not so much the resolution and the soundstage width and ambiance (which is tied to frequency response above 2.5K, among other things). Those were both improved with the FW update.

No effect on the sound from the SPDI/F coax, mind you....only on the analog. Which leads me to believe that something changed either with the '500s DAC's or another part of its analog circuitry.

I look forward to your findings.

post #657 of 1802 Old 07-10-2012, 05:42 PM

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonydeluce View Post

I can't speak for the 310 but I upgraded from a 210 to the 500 and I believe there is a noticeable increase in PQ though I certainly would not characterize it as "huge". I am using HDMI exclusively and mostly for HT so I can't comment on any sound improvements though having paid $259 I will certainly try to convince myself this is the case. I suspect audiophiles using the analog outs are definitely hearing a better SQ.
The main reason for my upgrade is for the dual HDMI outputs so that I can keep my Integra DTC-9.8 processor and enjoy 3D BluRay on my new 65GT50.

Thanks for the info, I will be using the dual hdmi to my onkyo 805 same as my current 310. I need a new player anyways and would like to get the 500 even if there is only a small improvment in pq over the 310.
post #658 of 1802 Old 07-10-2012, 06:03 PM

OtherSongs: I did test my old player and it sent to the sw just fine. Wish I had the manual to my Marantz SR480. Can't even find it online. My neighbor gave it to me and set it up, but he moved away. You may be right about my finding some other guru to help. Thanks for your post.
post #659 of 1802 Old 07-10-2012, 07:02 PM

Oh! that explains it. I would think it would have made more sense to have it the other way around.

Thanks for the respond.

Cheers,
post #660 of 1802 Old 07-10-2012, 08:42 PM

Quote:

Chuckg1: Many thanks for taking the time to check your settings tonight. Yes, my connections seem correct and tight. Can't understand why my old A300 produced rich subwoofer sound and the BDT500 with the same connections (no changes on the receiver) seems to send nothing to the SW. Do you agree with OtherSongs that for my 5.1 receiver, I should set for 7.1 rather that 2ch+5.1 on the BDT500?

Here's my settings : under audio
sound effects remaster 1
dialog enhancer on
digital
dolby d/dolbyd+/dolby truehd pcm
dts/dts hd pcm
hdmi audio output off
pcm down conversion on
down mix surround encode
7.1 ch audio reformatting off
high clarity sound enable
analog audio output 7.1 ch

under system : hdmi sub v. off led control on
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Panasonic , Panasonic Dmp Bdt500 Integrated Wi Fi 3d Blu Ray Dvd Player , Blu Ray Players , Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread - Bdt500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page